PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Ill Gill...

Snagglux_10
Oct 30, 2010, 09:42 PM
So, I'm just getting back into Phantasy Star (Zero was my first, it's been a while since then) with PSP2 and my Cast Ranger is into the final chapter. The Ill Gills are proving to be a real pain, though. Every time I try to get some distance to shoot them, they just spam charge me. Sometimes there's 3 of them taking turns to do so. I wasted most of my recovery items and even resorted to hiding behind some stairs and let my partners deal with them to get through the mission. I managed to get to the boss nonetheless, but I had probably 2 trimates left from the Ill Gills. -.- Since then, I've leveled a little trying to train him as a hunter instead. What I want to know is, am I just approaching them wrongly and should stick to a ranger, or would it be best if I got some melee weapons to deal with them?

DarkPhoton
Oct 30, 2010, 09:49 PM
Well my strategy for them is a mixture of twin hand guns and grenade launchers. I run around, building a chain, then break it with the twin handguns, In between chaining and blasting i use the grenade launcher to knock them down. Seems to work okay. Just remember not to sit still. dodge or block when you see one of them charge. Other then that, it just takes time to figure out the pattern of attack.

xBladeM6x
Oct 30, 2010, 09:50 PM
Shotguns might be useful.

Pillan
Oct 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
I find it is best to melee them and deal with them quickly. They have medium mob flinching and HP, so you can just hit them a couple times and they will be dead before they can even attack. Since they have one of the highest mob EXP modifiers, they are one of my favorites to quick-kill. Remember, if they run to them, they will do the standard elemental scythe slash instead of dashing toward you. You should have enough time after the hit to heal and hit them hard if they manage to take a chunk out of your HP.

If they do manage to get an attack through and you find yourself having trouble, just use more defensive skills with launch or knockdown.

GoldenFalcon
Oct 30, 2010, 10:57 PM
As a ranger, I found it ultimately funny to have a rifle with Buster Shoot (knockdown on every hit)

Just pop a bullet into them once and they'll be a sitting duck for about 6 seconds

Ill Gills become such a joke after trying this on them

Mike
Oct 31, 2010, 05:58 AM
If you are a hunter, use an axe to knock them down. Or stun ex traps.

Crimson The FOmar
Oct 31, 2010, 06:56 AM
As a ranger, I found it ultimately funny to have a rifle with Buster Shoot (knockdown on every hit)

Just pop a bullet into them once and they'll be a sitting duck for about 6 seconds

Ill Gills become such a joke after trying this on them

Ooooh I saw Buster Shoot in the trade missions but just assumed it was a higher grade than Power Shoot, I'll have to try it out now :D

Snagglux_10
Oct 31, 2010, 07:30 AM
I won't have to worry too much about the Ill Gills or a while now, but I'm having pretty much the same problem with the triple Shizuru fight now. =I Move away from sword slash, all enemies focus on me. I'll try out the buster shoot and a shotgun and let you guys know how it turns out.

Seth Astra
Oct 31, 2010, 07:59 AM
Snagglux, open with a mirage blast or a SUV. That usually puts the clones near seat, and easily killed.

Shakuri
Oct 31, 2010, 08:42 AM
I won't have to worry too much about the Ill Gills or a while now, but I'm having pretty much the same problem with the triple Shizuru fight now. =I Move away from sword slash, all enemies focus on me. I'll try out the buster shoot and a shotgun and let you guys know how it turns out.

Have a Blast charged up before the fight

Humans/Newmans: Any Earth Mirage Blast
CASTS: Any Cluster SUV
Beasts: ...Invincible Nanoblast :disapprove:

Random tips

Tip 1: Don't use any attack that does knockback/knockup/knockdown to him. His counter-attack to such attacks is very fast and annoying.

Tip 2: If you're a Vanguard or a Ranger, save all of your EX traps for him. If you aren't a VA/RA, spam some normal traps.

Tip 3: Let the AI build chains for you, then move in with your PA after the chain is at least higher than 2.