PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Live Server Re-Opening Project

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 12:39 AM
I know as soon as you read this title you asked yourself can this be real, and where is this going. Is this for real and should you keep reading this is all up to you, and if you want to pinch yourself go ahead cause your not dreaming this is real...lol

Its been in the works for sometime, and at the end of this short thread i just made is the link to the face book group that supports it. Everyone has there own opinion about what we are doing and why we do not want to give up on the xbox live server, even though there are free servers up from http://www.*************/

Reality check this is happening w/ your support or without, and i know there will be good and bad criticisms on this post and we are prepared for it. Just seeing who agrees with this idea for now and to see who will join the cause. Members such as a former bit developer on PSUmod has supported us, and SEGA has sent a personal letter saying they will do what they can to address the backwards capability w/ xbox 360 even though thats pretty slim there.

Beckett Massive Online Gamer Magazine has agreed to advertise our cause in an upcoming issue in a few months. Our group also has a lawyer/attorney in case a legal issue appears or stands in our way. To some this may look crazy or in a desperate attempt just to bring some game back from that dark shelf it was put on, but really its just a group with a dream and thats all. If we succeed we succeed and if not then its time to move on and that's that.

Progress in the works is how we see things, just takes one person sometimes to get this ball rolling. A bit late after 2008 but better late then never. If you feel this has moved you then please sign up and help our cause. If your just not that into it any more or could care less then we understand and won't hold anything to ya there.

Please respect my post, and try not to spam it like I have seen on most.

(facebook account is required to join)

Link to our facebook Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II group:
*Removed*

Mike
Nov 2, 2010, 01:00 AM
SEGA has sent a personal letter saying they will do what they can to address the backwards capability w/ xbox 360 even though thats pretty slim there.
This sounds incredibly unlikely.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 01:03 AM
This sounds incredibly unlikely.

I hear what your saying, but from your view point can you explain why that is.

Like our thread stated we are merely looking for supporters, if this grabs your attention and you like it then join if not then feel free to pass on by and just wave.

Your untitled to your own opinion, but it won't change our groups full decision to move forward. But non the less I still would like to hear more on this.

thank you

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah, not gonna happen. Plenty have tried and failed. Besides, PSO2 is coming out, why would Sega and MICROSOFT bother with a last gen game AND system to come back up with a server? If you want to play online, just play on GC or BB.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 2, 2010, 01:07 AM
Reality Check - Xbox Live for the original Xbox is dead. As in, it no longer functions.

Reality Check - Xbox Live is not enabled for Xbox 1 games on Xbox 360, you get logged out of it for even thinking about putting the disc in the tray.

Reality Check - You'd need the original xbox authentication servers turned on to get the Xbox Ep. 1 & 2 to boot legally. Anything else would be illegal.

See you on PSO2, bro.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah, not gonna happen. Plenty have tried and failed. Besides, PSO2 is coming out, why would Sega and MICROSOFT bother with a last gen game AND system to come back up with a server? If you want to play online, just play on GC or BB.

Yet another good point, PSO2 is coming out, and GC or BB would solve a players problem. But lets cut to the chase xbox live servers going back up would allow even a small player base group to interact again and allow former players to come back. We are talking about the first xbox MMORPG that start with 600000 fans and went against WoW, not something you really over look there.

Plain and simple, we are looking to either see this through or buy out the rights to it if it comes to it of course.

Are we crazy, do you really have to ask.....lol

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 01:12 AM
Yet another good point, PSO2 is coming out, and GC or BB would solve a players problem. But lets cut to the chase xbox live servers going back up would allow even a small player base group to interact again and allow former players to come back. We are talking about the first xbox MMORPG that start with 600000 fans and went against WoW I wish we had a [citation needed] tag.

Plan and simple, we are looking to either see this through or buy out the rights to it if it comes to it of course.

Yeah, enjoy fighting Microsoft to let you use their servers that no longer exist. There is absolutely no reason for the Xbox servers to go up. They had the least amount of population, you had to have a paying Xbox live account, and as Spike said with the above reasons, you have no way, physically OR legally, to get on. Just give up. There's seriously no way for you to come through with this.

Dongra
Nov 2, 2010, 01:13 AM
You certainly deserve a medal for trying to achieve the impossible.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 01:14 AM
Reality Check - Xbox Live for the original Xbox is dead. As in, it no longer functions.

Reality Check - Xbox Live is not enabled for Xbox 1 games on Xbox 360, you get logged out of it for even thinking about putting the disc in the tray.

Reality Check - You'd need the original xbox authentication servers turned on to get the Xbox Ep. 1 & 2 to boot legally. Anything else would be illegal.

See you on PSO2, bro.

We have addressed those issues on our group website back in 2009 when sega sent us a letter saying they support the idea, and await Xbox Live to support backwards compatibility on the xbox 360.

Also to answer your other Question about the original xbox authentication servers, a request to buy them was put in as well as a more legal matter was brought up. And yes they are for sale by the way, since they are not in use.

SEGA supports the idea, xbox live is the only one in that pool who needs the push really..

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 01:15 AM
You certainly deserve a medal for trying to achieve the impossible.

Thank you, but a medal for me would not be worth it unless my group can also join in on that. We support each other, and we all deserve the credit not just me.

Thank you again

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 01:18 AM
We have addressed those issues on our group website back in 2009 when sega sent us a letter saying they support the idea, and await Xbox Live to support backwards compatibility on the xbox 360.
I'd really like to see a copy of this letter from Sega, because that would imply that Sega cares.

Also to answer your other Question about the original xbox authentication servers, a request to buy them was put in as well as a more legal matter was brought up. And yes they are for sale by the way, since they are not in use.
I think you've got a very limited understanding of how the servers work. Just up and buying them then plugging them in won't make the game work.

SEGA supports the idea, xbox live is the only one in that pool who needs the push really.. If Sega supported the idea, then they would have done something about it long ago. But there's no reason for them to do so, since people can play the game for free. They don't feel either way about it, they don't care.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 01:27 AM
I'd really like to see a copy of this letter from Sega, because that would imply that Sega cares.
I think you've got a very limited understanding of how the servers work. Just up and buying them then plugging them in won't make the game work.
If Sega supported the idea, then they would have done something about it long ago. But there's no reason for them to do so, since people can play the game for free. They don't feel either way about it, they don't care.

All letters that we have received have been posted to our site on facebook for all to see. (food for thought)

Considering our group knows one of the developers they were able to enlighten us on the server issue and they were very helpful in the long run.

Of course if the game goes back on the xbox and XBL works there will still be a few issues to address the payment plan will keep it online. Somethings wont change for the long wrong.

SEGA (Sonic TEAM) made a name for themselves and have not forgotten the fans, when the player base group dropped down and there were no movements that really made a splash they called it quits and put it to the side.

Well we are here to tell you we have not forgotten and we will show our support even if PSO2 is coming out.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 01:41 AM
So since you didn't want to post the letters, I'll do it myself.

From Sega:

Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II This is what they have to say at SEGA:

"Message from sonic team:

"Thanks for contacting Sega Customer Support regarding your inquiry into why Phantasy Star Online episodes 1 and 2 were never made available further on Xbox Live. When Microsoft discontinued their support for the original Xbox console part of the concern regarding whether the title would continue to be available revolved around whether the XBox 360 would provide compatability for the Xbox version of the game. Since Microsoft did not provide compatability for the title, online support was dropped and a newer, updated client (Phantasy Star Universe) was created. All compatability issues with Xbox and the Xbox 360 are actually addressed by Microsoft and XBox Live; they still continue to add titles weekly however according to their current list (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm) PSO has not yet been added. We do understand your interest and will work to see what we can find out about getting the content restored however without full compatability, that option may be very slim." "...that option may be very slim." If Sega says something is very slim, it ain't happening.

Oh, and now I believe this whole thread is BS. All he is doing is creating looks at his guild page. The Facebook profile was made literally three days ago, and there is links to private servers on his page. Along with his guild page, which has no members and no community, the Facebook letters and things they all have, are posts to free thing.

Also, he wants Master Chief in PSO.

Thank you, and good night.
http://www.nashvillescholars.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/arthur-conan-doyle-sherlock-holmes.jpg

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 01:52 AM
Original website was moved to correct you, hence the time frame you mentioned. Considering SEGA sent that letter in 2009 I would say we have been around awhile still few in numbers that is.
Please keep vulgar language off our thread. Our page also helps former and new users to locate info about the game faster which was mentioned on the website if you paid enough attention.

You shooting our group down will not hurt us, and we do have members who are active. Its unlucky you will support us so please leave it at that.

Thank you for you feedback

SpikeOtacon
Nov 2, 2010, 01:57 AM
Original website was moved to correct you, hence the time frame you mentioned. Please keep vulgar language off our thread. Our page also helps former and new users to locate info about the game faster which was mentioned on the website if you paid enough attention.

You shooting our grouping down will not hurt us, and we do have members who are active.

Thank you for you feedback

Your website on the facebook group has not been active since sometime in december 2009? A very small, under 10, amount of members, and your facebook cause page popped up within the last week. You have links to advertising private servers and links to downloads that aren't allowed on PSOWorld on there as well.

This whole thing is a huge load of BS.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 02:03 AM
Your website on the facebook group has not been active since sometime in december 2009? A very small, under 10, amount of members, and your facebook cause page popped up within the last week. You have links to advertising private servers and links to downloads that aren't allowed on PSOWorld on there as well.

This whole thing is a huge load of BS.

please read revised message above, SEGA sent our group an email back in 2009.

Our group was once a guild back in the day (2003) if you can fathom that.

Converted it into a facebook group finally and started to re-enlist again after a

friends funeral.

So far be it for you to believe when the group started, support the cause or don't its that easy no need to have random cursing at the group and saying things that need not be said.

Please understand we are not trying to fight, if you you want to join then join and if not then please be on your way.

thank you

Dongra
Nov 2, 2010, 02:12 AM
It's kind of hard to ignore this false hope you have provided.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 02:18 AM
It's kind of hard to ignore this false hope you have provided.

I understand but we feel if we make a big enough wave something has to happen, even if one of the companies comes out and says no to it all.

Never has an organization for PSO made the attempt to push for something with one goal in mind you know. There is some risk involved but we are willing to put in the hours to see this through.

My question to you would be if this pulls through would you take the time out to play it again and join in on this. The original player base group was 600000 players, and I would think a few thousand would still be more then happy to come back.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Dongra
Nov 2, 2010, 02:21 AM
The original player base group was 600000 players.
I really want to know where you got that number from.

The Last Baron
Nov 2, 2010, 02:22 AM
Yet another good point, PSO2 is coming out, and GC or BB would solve a players problem. But lets cut to the chase xbox live servers going back up would allow even a small player base group to interact again and allow former players to come back. We are talking about the first xbox MMORPG that start with 600000 fans and went against WoW, not something you really over look there.

Plain and simple, we are looking to either see this through or buy out the rights to it if it comes to it of course.

Are we crazy, do you really have to ask.....lol

>600000
>600000
>600000
>600000
>600000
>600000
>600000

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 02:23 AM
Where are you getting that number? Seriously, I'm pretty sure you're lucky if there were 6,000 people on the US version of PSO at any given time.

The Xbox version was the version with the least players. Why in the world would you bother resurrecting a player base of MAYBE around <100 players?

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 02:26 AM
I really want to know where you got that number from.

ITS a rough estimate but from here:

http://www.1up.com/news/phantasy-star-online-claims-600000

better link:
http://www.totalvideogames.com/Phantasy-Star-Online-Episode-III-CARD-Revolution/news/PSO-Passes-600000-4665.html

The Last Baron
Nov 2, 2010, 02:28 AM
>PSO has more than 600,000 players worldwide across all territories, episodes, and platforms.
>worldwide
>all platforms
>REOPEN XBOX
>ONLY US AND CANADA PLAY ON XBOX LIVE, MAYBE SOME EUROS

More like 6.

Dongra
Nov 2, 2010, 02:29 AM
Worldwide and all platforms I can believe. This still doesn't justify trying to resurrect the least played version of the game. Just play on one of the many private servers that are open and free.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 02:33 AM
Worldwide and all platforms I can believe. This still doesn't justify trying to resurrect the least played version of the game. Just play on one of the many private servers that are open and free.

We ride this one out for now, not shore really what there is to loose other than time.

Even dreamers have every right to try something you know, and maybe our group may have something there.

We will keep ya up dated on the site on results, no matter what they are and to be honest we will play PSO2 when it comes out.

Thank you

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 02:46 AM
It's extremely rough. Considering that according to that article, that those numbers were taken when Episode III came out in Japan (November 27, 2003 (Japan) March 2, 2004 (North America) June 18, 2004 (Europe) ), that was a time when DC, PC, AND GC/XBOX were all still running servers. Even better, they had to count every region it came out on, just to get to that number.

I'm trying to figure out why you're bothering to even bring this back, no one is going to run out and buy an old Xbox just so they can play on their Xbox. They can just play on Gamecube. You know, the one that works. Or BB. What is seriously the point of bother with the Xbox version?

Dongra
Nov 2, 2010, 02:48 AM
He's better off starting his own BB server. Although that means he will have to deal with the competition.

Mitz
Nov 2, 2010, 02:53 AM
How you can find 24 like-minded people who believe this is feasible is beyond me. You're trying to somehow resurrect the least played version of the game on a console that has no online support, while there is a new supported game on a newer console, and an even newer game for 2011. It doesn't just sound overly ambitious, it just sounds stupid. I mean, I really don't get how you find this possible to achieve, while the alternatives are so much better. You're trying to get Microsoft to turn their servers back on to support the Xbox, which won't happen. Or you're trying to get PSO compatible with the Xbox 360 version, which I'll tell you right now will never happen. And on top of that you want to reopen the original servers so a group of 25-30 people can back on.

I mean, it just sounds stupid if you read it like this.

So if I were you, I'd run into a gamestore, buy a 360 controller for your PC, plug it up and play on one of the private servers. They have a bigger playerbase than the Xbox probably ever had, new content and it's a direct port from the Xbox version anyway.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 02:54 AM
It's extremely rough. Considering that according to that article, that those numbers were taken when Episode III came out in Japan (November 27, 2003 (Japan) March 2, 2004 (North America) June 18, 2004 (Europe) ), that was a time when DC, PC, AND GC/XBOX were all still running servers. Even better, they had to count every region it came out on, just to get to that number.

I'm trying to figure out why you're bothering to even bring this back, no one is going to run out and buy an old Xbox just so they can play on their Xbox. They can just play on Gamecube. You know, the one that works. Or BB. What is seriously the point of bother with the Xbox version?

Yet another good point, maybe OUR group is just made up of fans and a few developers. But one can reach for the stars you know, and thats what we are doing.

Can I ask you a question I hear a lot of negative feedback and that was to be expected but have you yourself tried something of this measure y/n ...

Have you had the guts to walk into the SEGA or XBL building and secure a meeting w/ reps to talk about this issue. Well we stepped up, yes I know we are as we speak being patronized for doing something others can only watch from the side lines.

As a group ya of about 25 and growing (so what) found a shovel and well we are digging. Maybe we won't find what we are looking for or maybe we will. But we are trying and that is really all we have to say about that.

Mike
Nov 2, 2010, 02:55 AM
As for the poll, I would probably play PSO if it came back on one of the current console services (provided I owned the console) because PSO was an enjoyable game and I had lots of fun playing.

However, I don't see Sega lending their hand to any unknown third party to get things working especialy since the Japanese PSOBB is shutting down, PSO2 is coming out next year, and certain Dreamcast titles have been / are being made available as downloadable games.

Dongra
Nov 2, 2010, 03:00 AM
Can I ask you a question I hear a lot of negative feedback and that was to be expected but have you yourself tried something of this measure y/n ...

Have you had the guts to walk into the SEGA or XBL building and secure a meeting w/ reps to talk about this issue. Well we stepped up, yes I know we are as we speak being patronized for doing something others can only watch from the side lines.
No, I have not. Most people do not have time to waste doing that and are probably not that stupid.

Mitz
Nov 2, 2010, 03:07 AM
Pretend I'm a SEGA or Xbox representative. Pretend that I have the power to make your wish a reality. Please explain to me why this would be worth the investment of time, money and effort. Explain to me how this is profitable and will benefit me.

The Last Baron
Nov 2, 2010, 03:07 AM
Yet another good point, maybe OUR group is just made up of fans and a few developers. But one can reach for the stars you know, and thats what we are doing.

As a group ya of about 25 and growing (so what) found a shovel and well we are digging. Maybe we won't find what we are looking for or maybe we will. But we are trying and that is really all we have to say about that.

Ah yes, but when you reach for the stars while standing on a sinking ship, you're more likely to go down as dodos and not martyrs. Have I had the guts? Seriously? The guts? You think that I even care to play the game on xbox? Hell no. I'm sure most people would say the same.

You might want to try builing a ladder instead of digging a hole, by the way, unless you've already found a nice spot to bury your copies of PSO XBOX forever.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 03:27 AM
Pretend I'm a SEGA or Xbox representative. Pretend that I have the power to make your wish a reality. Please explain to me why this would be worth the investment of time, money and effort. Explain to me how this is profitable and will benefit me.

If only that was so, being a fan you would already be open to some ideas on the matter instead of turning a blind eye.

Michael J. Cavaretta who represents our information and technology businesses, including Internet, videogame and other interactive media companies will be present when and if we can get the ball rolling. Most legal questions would be directed to him not me.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 03:29 AM
Ah yes, but when you reach for the stars while standing on a sinking ship, you're more likely to go down as dodos and not martyrs. Have I had the guts? Seriously? The guts? You think that I even care to play the game on xbox? Hell no. I'm sure most people would say the same.

You might want to try builing a ladder instead of digging a hole, by the way, unless you've already found a nice spot to bury your copies of PSO XBOX forever.

"Let the winds blow". The main theme of PSO Episode III. "Free you from an endless spell. You should leave now find your well. Let the four winds blow again. You make your story." Take those words to heart and do just that. Make your story

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 04:14 AM

THERE'S NO REASON TO. We have perfectly capable private servers that are able to provide updates AND community feedback, on both GC and BB, something Sonic Team and Sega have not been doing well on the topic of Phantasy Star. It's pointless and a waste of time, money and effort.

Have you had the guts to walk into the SEGA or XBL building and secure a meeting w/ reps to talk about this issue. Well we stepped up, yes I know we are as we speak being patronized for doing something others can only watch from the side lines. There's a fine line between being brave and being stupid. And again, I've seen no official letters, no transcripts or anything of the such. If this project had any chance, it would have been noticed by our community a long time ago. The letters you had were generic help topic support crap that they send everyone. And are you going to make people pay for your server? This a very serious question, as you'll need to:

Be able to have someone to work on the servers.
Have a reliable(read: business or something equivalent) internet connection to support traffic.
Have a way to keep the servers cool and
Have a way to be able to pay for all of this.

Let's not forget, that the server may not even have the required software to even run the game, let alone let players connect. Beyond this, if you have the original Xbox only work, you'll have to have the Xbox modded, which is already a problem there. Even if you get backwards compatibility for the 360, there's no dashboard, so you can't voice chat. No one who has the game will play anyway, as they could play on BB with a full keyboard support.

This is too much work for too little payout. All of your effort to get maybe <40 people online will be pointless, as everyone is just going to play on private servers anyway. BB and GC are superior versions, not to mention more populated currently. I just don't understand why all this work is being put in for the least popular version of the game.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 04:47 AM
THERE'S NO REASON TO. We have perfectly capable private servers that are able to provide updates AND community feedback, on both GC and BB, something Sonic Team and Sega have not been doing well on the topic of Phantasy Star. It's pointless and a waste of time, money and effort.
There's a fine line between being brave and being stupid. And again, I've seen no official letters, no transcripts or anything of the such. If this project had any chance, it would have been noticed by our community a long time ago. The letters you had were generic help topic support crap that they send everyone. And are you going to make people pay for your server? This a very serious question, as you'll need to:

Be able to have someone to work on the servers.
Have a reliable(read: business or something equivalent) internet connection to support traffic.
Have a way to keep the servers cool and
Have a way to be able to pay for all of this.

Let's not forget, that the server may not even have the required software to even run the game, let alone let players connect. Beyond this, if you have the original Xbox only work, you'll have to have the Xbox modded, which is already a problem there. Even if you get backwards compatibility for the 360, there's no dashboard, so you can't voice chat. No one who has the game will play anyway, as they could play on BB with a full keyboard support.

This is too much work for too little payout. All of your effort to get maybe <40 people online will be pointless, as everyone is just going to play on private servers anyway. BB and GC are superior versions, not to mention more populated currently. I just don't understand why all this work is being put in for the least popular version of the game.

BB and GC are not superior versions that is your own opinion. Further more we can do better then xbox 360, xbox 720 is the future of xbox.

We have run into players like you before, you must have Given up hope once pso closed or maybe you never played it to start w/. A true supporter stays w/ it till the end, maybe we are crazy but step off.....

You've patronized us long enough, we have our dream let us go about it how we please. Meaningless to talk us out of it when we have our minds made up. Hearing only a few negatives on here will not turn us away from our dream.

Nitro plz end this, your going around in circles w/ your negative feedback, you sound more like someone who is bent on not having an opened mind on things and thats fine but please stop antagonizing our thread.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2010, 05:03 AM
Feedback implies opinions, which only part of my basis is. I'm giving hard facts and all your doing is saying I have no hope. My hope is with PSO2, not a pipe dream that ended about 5 years ago.

I'm happy knowing my favorite game is dead officially. Now it won't have to have terrible updates and the xenophobia that SoJ has for us. For now, I'm happy to play for free on private servers and be with a small niche community that enjoys my game, knowing full well I'll never see the exact same game come back from Sega.

I'm done here. Keep dreaming, because all dreams are things that can never happen.

Anarchy 88
Nov 2, 2010, 05:07 AM
Feedback implies opinions, which only part of my basis is. I'm giving hard facts and all your doing is saying I have no hope. My hope is with PSO2, not a pipe dream that ended about 5 years ago.

I'm happy knowing my favorite game is dead officially. Now it won't have to have terrible updates and the xenophobia that SoJ has for us. For now, I'm happy to play for free on private servers and be with a small niche community that enjoys my game, knowing full well I'll never see the exact same game come back from Sega.

I'm done here. Keep dreaming, because all dreams are things that can never happen.

Nitro_Vordex I thank you for some of ur insight but have had enough. PSO for XBL is not a pipe dream that ended about 5 years ago, it was born 2003 and slowly faded in 2008 get your facts right.

Weather you like it or not it is coming back, either w/ xbox or xbox 720 so get use to that idea for now till it comes more into focus for you.

Ryna
Nov 2, 2010, 07:59 AM
Locked due to personal attacks.