PDA

View Full Version : Specs for PSO2?

Kion
Nov 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
So I know it's a long shot, since Sega hasn't even released any screen shots of PSO2, but I'm in the market for a notebook for school. What kind of specs do you think PSO2 are going to require?

Nitro Vordex
Nov 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
A notebook would hinder you in almost any game. That said, get a decent laptop with at least a gig or two of memory. Dual core processor would also be a minimum. I can't help you much on graphics cards, as I don't know much about them myself yet.

Oh, and don't get a Dell.

Rei-San
Nov 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
A notebook would hinder you in almost any game. That said, get a decent laptop with at least a gig or two of memory. Dual core processor would also be a minimum. I can't help you much on graphics cards, as I don't know much about them myself yet.

Oh, and don't get a Dell.

What's wrong with a dell? :( I looked up some of their stuff and they look like powerhouses/gaming computers.

AnnabellaRenee87
Nov 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
Based off current hardware available today, I would make it AT LEAST a dual core with a a GPU from the last 1-2 years, and 2+ GB of RAM, course I can say that with the system I have.

Mitz
Nov 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
For the best experience, you'll probably have to pay extra. A laptop with a dual-core and only 2 gigs of memory will probably not cut it. I'd go higher end.

Kion
Nov 4, 2010, 08:09 PM
That's kind of the problem with notebooks; anything with decent graphics is over 14" completely defeating the purpose of being portable. I guess I'll just have to wait. The game isn't coming out for a while anyways.

Zyrusticae
Nov 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
If you really MUST have a portable (and I stress this, I mean as in no other acceptable option), I must suggest getting something from Alienware or a similarly acclaimed brand. You CANNOT go for the cheap for portable gaming, at least not if you want any real performance.

Ezodagrom
Nov 4, 2010, 11:23 PM
Doing a quick search on the newegg website, saw there a 14.5" notebook with a reasonably good enough GPU for some games.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157432

The CPU is a Core i5 460M, dual-core 2.53GHz, it has 4GB DDR3 RAM, and the GPU is a Mobility Radeon HD5650, which is comparable to the desktop Radeon HD5570, but with lower clocks.
Based on the specs, this notebook should be able to play some games that have low requirements with high settings (like the Call of Duty series), others with medium settings (for example Crysis should be playable at medium settings with a framerate around 20~30fps), and even some games with heavier requirements might be playable with lower settings.

Now about PSO2, since nothing is known about it, no one knows if it'll be playable in a notebook like this or not. If PSO2 is anything like the mess that is Final Fantasy XIV, it might be unplayable (or nearly unplayable) in this notebook. But if PSO2 is being done first with the PC in mind, I think it's possible that it won't have too high requirements like FFXIV.

Kion
Nov 5, 2010, 01:08 AM
O_O *looks at FF14 system requirements*

It's more about being able to play; I've perfectly fine with low settings. Ideally I think I'd like to get a vaio Y. The screen is 13" and it can be configured with a i3 330UM, 4GB, and a Radeon 4550. But really since I pretty much only use word for school an atom/ion combo would be fine as long as it runs.

But for notebooks, really anything over 14" you might as well build a desktop because you're not going to be hauling it around. Would it be cheaper to get a netbook for school and then a comp for games? That's kind of why I want to roll them together as 300$ or more for a desktop rig to play one game doesn't seem to be worth it. I guess we'll have to wait for news from the beta.

Ezodagrom
Nov 5, 2010, 10:51 AM
O_O *looks at FF14 system requirements*

It's more about being able to play; I've perfectly fine with low settings. Ideally I think I'd like to get a vaio Y. The screen is 13" and it can be configured with a i3 330UM, 4GB, and a Radeon 4550. But really since I pretty much only use word for school an atom/ion combo would be fine as long as it runs.

But for notebooks, really anything over 14" you might as well build a desktop because you're not going to be hauling it around. Would it be cheaper to get a netbook for school and then a comp for games? That's kind of why I want to roll them together as 300$ or more for a desktop rig to play one game doesn't seem to be worth it. I guess we'll have to wait for news from the beta.
Well, a good mid-end gaming desktop, not counting with monitor and operative system, can cost around $600~$800 (depending on the specs). Counting with a monitor and OS it can cost around $850~$1050.
That plus a netbook (around $400?), I guess everything could cost you somewhere between $1000 and $1450, but a desktop would have better performance than any notebook out there. :\

Zyrusticae
Nov 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
but a desktop would have better performance than any notebook out there. :\
Emphasis on this.

The value per $ you get for a desktop vs. any kind of notebook is huge. Not quite orders of magnitude huge, but still huge.

That being said, if you're building from scratch and not upgrading it is quite an investment.

akiraomega
Nov 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
I suggest you just wait for the game to come out lol.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
lol, gaming on a notebook.

Just buy a desktop. If you can't afford one, then you can't afford one.

Aeris
Nov 8, 2010, 05:33 PM
lol, gaming on a notebook.

Just buy a desktop. If you can't afford one, then you can't afford one.

I play games on my large laptop so whats wrong with that depending if it has a intergraded or standalone gpu since mine does has a standalone one, anyways i am planning to build a desktop later on in the future, i am betting PSO2 will be a DX9 or DX10 game unlike FF14 which is a DX11 game and its massive specs for playing it on a computer.

Kion
Nov 8, 2010, 11:26 PM
I found the problem; windows 7. I went back and installed xp on my netbook, and it's running much better. I have a lot more control over themes, resolution and it's running smoother. It's fine for school for a while. I'l grab a psp for games and then wait until next year to get a new laptop. With intel's oak trail and amd's fusion portable gaming might be a possibility next year.

Also with a little tweaking PSU runs on my atom n270 GMA 945 1GB netbook with a little tweaking. GMA booster and game booster running I can get decent performance on minimum graphics. So next year it maybe possible to run PSO2 on medium settings with a semi-decent notebook.

Mitz
Nov 9, 2010, 02:38 AM
OR take this year that you're not using a laptop, and save up to get a very decent one.

Anon_Fire
Nov 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
Guys, it's too early to know what the system requirements for PSO2 will be. Just wait until more info surfaces.

Magician
Nov 9, 2010, 12:36 PM
So I know it's a long shot, since Sega hasn't even released any screen shots of PSO2, but I'm in the market for a notebook for school. What kind of specs do you think PSO2 are going to require?

I'm also looking out for a new laptop. I'm doubling up and looking for something that might run Diablo III along with PSO2. Although I'm not buying this instant, the Alienware M15x has me sprung. But that's if your budget is two to three thousand dollars for full, tricked out specs.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 9, 2010, 04:24 PM
For that price, you should build a high-end PC, buy a netbook, and still have money to spare.

Anon_Fire
Nov 9, 2010, 04:50 PM
I said, we don't know what the system requirements for PSO2 will be.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 9, 2010, 08:52 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned system requirements since your last post.

Ezodagrom
Nov 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
I play games on my large laptop so whats wrong with that depending if it has a intergraded or standalone gpu since mine does has a standalone one, anyways i am planning to build a desktop later on in the future, i am betting PSO2 will be a DX9 or DX10 game unlike FF14 which is a DX11 game and its massive specs for playing it on a computer.
FF14 is a DX9 game...

RemiusTA
Nov 9, 2010, 11:35 PM
I dont know, but im praying this game will run on 360/ps3 Sonic Unleashed's "Hedgehog Engine" for good measure.

Kion
Nov 11, 2010, 05:16 AM
AMD finally released news on their new fusion APU. I looks like they let a couple of places tes heir new 1.6Ghz "zacate" dual core with a discrete radeon 6310 built into it. Supposedly plays crisis with no problems. I guess I'll wait for this to come out and spring for it if the reviews live up to the hype.

Full Article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3933/amds-zacate-apu-performance-update)

Ezodagrom
Nov 11, 2010, 05:38 PM
AMD finally released news on their new fusion APU. I looks like they let a couple of places tes heir new 1.6Ghz "zacate" dual core with a discrete radeon 6310 built into it. Supposedly plays crisis with no problems. I guess I'll wait for this to come out and spring for it if the reviews live up to the hype.

Full Article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3933/amds-zacate-apu-performance-update)
Ontario (1.0GHz Dual-Core/1.2GHz Single-Core, HD6250) and Zacate (1.6GHz Dual-Core/1.5GHz Single-Core, HD6310) will be used mostly on netbooks and ultra portable notebooks, low-end desktops, notebooks, and media centers. They will be competing with Nvidia's ION platform and Intel's Atom/Ultra Low voltage Core series.

Llano, also an APU, with a CPU still based in the Athlon/Phenom design, and graphics possibly based on the HD5500/5600 series, will be released sometime in the 1st half of next year and will be aimed towards low-end/mainstream desktops and notebooks. Most likely it will compete with Core i3 and maybe i5 CPUs.

Then there's "Bulldozer", Orochi. This one is just a CPU, doesn't have graphics integrated, it will be released somewhere around Q2/Q3, and will be aimed towards high-end desktops.

ThEoRy
Nov 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
I dont know, but im praying this game will run on 360/ps3 Sonic Unleashed's "Hedgehog Engine" for good measure.

That's what I said as soon as I saw the unleashed demo.

Mitz
Nov 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
My little bro bought that game, didn't at all look impressive to me.

Ezodagrom
Nov 12, 2010, 02:37 PM
My little bro bought that game, didn't at all look impressive to me.
Unless you're talking about the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, in my opinion the XBox360/PS3 versions look quite impressive, especially the in-game cutscenes.
[spoiler-box]http://www.powersonic.com.br/games/novos/media/unleashed/su_360_5.jpg[/spoiler-box]

About PSO2, even if they don't use the hedgehog engine, I think we can expect PSO2 to look beautiful. Just look at what Sonic Team did with Sonic Colours for the Wii. :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQPpWEXcOU

8BitGinno
Nov 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
I'm just glad I built my PC back in '08.

Sure it's a budget build, but i'm pretty proud of it and am sure it can handle almost anything pretty well, PSO2 soon to be included. :D

lostinseganet
Nov 14, 2010, 04:22 PM
They are gonna need ram, and bandwidth don't skimp on either.