PDA

View Full Version : xbox security

Zima
Mar 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
wut do you guys think about pso on xbox? do u think cheaters/dupers will arise as quickly as it did on the gc? i have never played pso before but im definately getting it when it comes out for xbox (since its the only console i own) but i really hate cheaters/dupers so i wanna know if i should watch out for them right away........anyways feel free to help me out or give me some tips when the xbox version comes out =)

gamertag: ZimaTSC

RagMasterRappy
Mar 10, 2003, 06:43 PM
Security will be an issue on the XBOX. It would have at least made duping harder if they didn't save to the hard drive.

burst
Mar 10, 2003, 09:47 PM
It's an issue on any console that PSO is on. Though I can't be sure, just like everyone else can't be, I can speculate that there will be less duping on the Xbox. The only way to dupe, that I have heard of, is to install a mod chip. Not very many people would want to go through the hassle of doing that for PSO alone. I'm sure someone out there will find another way to dupe.

You can play the game like I will, and have. Never mention that you dislike duping. Ever. People are usually more willing to tell you if they have dupes if you aren't known for yelling at people for having them. If they do dupe, or play with dupes, I simply make up a polite excuse to leave the game. I also rarely give out my guild card. Only do give it out to people I respect.

TerribleDeliMeat
Mar 10, 2003, 10:49 PM
As burst pointed out, all versions of PSO will be subjected to some form of cheating. As long as ST decides to have all character info saved client side, someone will find a way to cheat.

Will the xbox version be magically more screwed over than others in the past? I'm guessing no.

Microsoft cant afford to take a liberal stance on cheating. If PSOX can be screwed over, what chance does other Live games have?

I'd like to know more of the mechanisms surrounding Live and PSO. Do you need to have an active Live connection to play PSO? Or does pre-installed Live software work the same?

As for current methods, I've only seen one. That only worked on the bootleg NTSC version with the aid of a mod chip. Being you cant use the bootleg version to get online (you need a modchip to boot it up), I dont think that particular method will cause problems.

Guntz348
Mar 11, 2003, 07:09 AM
Theres already a dupe method in the retail/final version of Xbox PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif If you look at it logically since the stuff is being stored on a hard disk in a game machine, thats essecially a computer that just plays games, I think hacking and other cheating will be very wide spread. I hope not but the future doesn't look to bright for the box. =/

Zima
Mar 11, 2003, 12:54 PM
On 2003-03-10 18:47, burst wrote:
You can play the game like I will, and have. Never mention that you dislike duping. Ever.

i guess my first message was kinda harsh.......wut i really mean is that i dont hate cheaters/dupers but i hate cheats/dupes...i like to trade but i personally dont like to carry duped items so the only way to avoid duped items is stop trading altogether....for everyone else thats like that wouldnt u like to be able to trade again with full confidence? they should make all the duped items a different colour or something.....so that everyone who wants the duped items can have it but it still allows people to trade in full confidence that the item is legit......

burst
Mar 11, 2003, 01:54 PM
Don't stop trading altogether, just don't trade with a person you have recently met. I'm sure you wouldn't completely trust someone you've recently met in real life. Keep trading limited to friends, and their friends.

Also, if you're friends are really cool, they would pipe the item you are looking for, considering if they are the correct section ID. Of course, while they are doing that, and hopefully you are the section ID needed, you would be doing the same for them. Not very many people are willing to pipe for days, or weeks, even, on their offline time, cutting into their exp. and online fun, but to me, it's one of the huge important aspects of the PSO community most people look over.

And I didn't take your original post harshly. That's the way a lot of people that don't want dupes respond to the dupers. I was simply being too judgemental. Sorry about that.

JiNn
Mar 11, 2003, 03:27 PM
The safty on the Xbox i think will be very good and im not saying that because i have some sort of bias on the system everything i say is from what ive herd

The only way to dupe, that I have heard of, is to install a mod chip.

i read that if you mod your box you wont beable to take it online which i hope is true i dont want any Hax0Rz ruining my fun on PsO when it FINALLY gets here

Guntz348
Mar 11, 2003, 04:30 PM
On 2003-03-11 12:27, JiNn wrote:
The safty on the Xbox i think will be very good and im not saying that because i have some sort of bias on the system everything i say is from what ive herd

The only way to dupe, that I have heard of, is to install a mod chip.

i read that if you mod your box you wont beable to take it online which i hope is true i dont want any Hax0Rz ruining my fun on PsO when it FINALLY gets here

Theres a way to dupe with out a mod chip or anything. Anyone can really do it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Lets just hope that hacking will be a lot harder.

Phelan
Mar 11, 2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah, there is a dupe method, but we will have to wait and see how prominant it is.... also... those who think microsoft isn't taking a liberal stance against cheating should read the ToS for Xbox Live. MS is very specific that any cheating will not be tolerated and any kind of confirmed cheater will be promptly banned from xbox live. It is too bad there is no way for them to monitor cheating really. I can guaruntee though that if PSOX is overrun by cheating, it will hurt Xbox Live badly, so MS should be mindful to back up their claim of a cheat free environment.

Ranger_Larry
Mar 17, 2003, 05:37 PM
Maybe this is why the game keeps getting pushed back?

zimmk2vgc
Apr 19, 2003, 04:26 PM
Is Xbox live the thing where you talk or can you just pay the HL and use text like on GC?

CrazyJ
Apr 20, 2003, 05:00 AM
On 2003-03-11 17:00, Phelan wrote:
also... those who think microsoft isn't taking a liberal stance against cheating should read the ToS for Xbox Live. MS is very specific that any cheating will not be tolerated and any kind of confirmed cheater will be promptly banned from xbox live.

All versions of PSO have had the same ToS.

Yeah, they back it up reeeeeal well huh?

Tulathis
Apr 20, 2003, 05:45 AM
That's true if the mod chip is active. Unfortunately you can just turn it off or disconnect it to go onto Live, then reconnect it when you are offline. There's not much you can to if people will go to that extent to cheat, but at least it's harder than most previous methods.

-shade
Apr 20, 2003, 06:15 AM
Duping yes and you can do it with out a mod chip. things like NOL or hacked saves no. As long as you can save a file on your system Duping will happen, only sure way to stopthis is server side saving.