PDA

View Full Version : Manual vs Automatic

McLaughlin
Nov 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm lookin' for a car, and I'm not really sure if I should get a manual or an automatic. Most of what's in my price range seems to be manual, and I feel like hunting for an automatic would sort of handcuff me in terms of trying to haggle down the price. On the other hand, I can't drive stick so I'd have to learn in whatever I buy, which might cost me a clutch.

Most of my family (all the women basically >_>) says to get an automatic, but I've been kind of leaning towards stick just because I think it'd be a good skill to learn, and no one in my house would hassle me to borrow my car.

Opinions?

DEM_CIG
Nov 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
Automatics are awesome. My Dad use to have a 2000 or 2001 Honda Civic SI Hatchback. God I wish he still had that car. It was awesome to drive. Now I drive a 2001 Honda Civic EX. God it sucks =/

AC9breaker
Nov 23, 2010, 05:37 PM
Go stick. Don't have to worry about any random rube driving your shit, don't have to worry about making excsues if you don't wanna let somebody borrow your car cause most likely they can't drive it. It's fun as hell, you look cooler, +5 to ego & manhood boost. Plus like you said more in your price range. It's really not that hard driving stick.

Sinue_v2
Nov 23, 2010, 05:42 PM
If you're looking for performance, get a stick. If for any other reason, get an automatic.

Ketchup345
Nov 23, 2010, 05:42 PM
New or used? How long until you buy?

If you enjoy driving, the I'd say go with the manual(as do most other driving lovers I've seen) - more involvement, more feel from the car, you tell it when to do everything. Depending on how you drive, manual can save on fuel in most cases (US EPA does rate a few newer autos better than manuals on MPG).

If you find yourself sitting in a "parking lot on the highway" often, or don't like driving, and the fuel economy savings would be minimal, auto is fine.

With 80%+ of vehicles in the US, and one new report saying under 7% of new cars sold have manual transmissions, in the US if you go used, odds are you'll be swamped with automatics. I'm unsure of Canada's figures.

If you have any, find a friend with a manual transmission car in good condition and have them teach you, let you spend a bit of time. Maybe offer to pay them a bit of money or cover dinner/gas/whatever. Where I am, the hard part was finding a car in "teachable" condition.

amtalx
Nov 23, 2010, 05:48 PM
Learning stick is not nearly as useful as it once was. Back in the day, people drove stick because automatic transmissions were inefficient and had poor gas mileage compared to their manual counterparts. However, automatics have come a long way. If you want to get technical, manuals are still more efficient, but the margin is negligible. If you are persnickety about controlling every aspect of your car, a manual might be worth it, but there's no need otherwise. Manuals are basically just for people who get satisfaction from shifting.

My car has Steptronic which is basically a combination of the two. I rarely use the manual mode. Only when I really need to control which gear I'm in, like if I'm passing someone or there is a fast merge.

sCI
Nov 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
Manuals are more efficient in some cases, more fun for driving enthusiasts, and are often able to handle more abuse without failure.

Go with a manual.

McLaughlin
Nov 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Looking to hopefully have something by the beginning of January or so. Trying to bus to my university is a huge pain in the ass because I'm in a new development, so I basically have to walk half an hour just to get to a bus stop (and that bus only makes two passes at 6:50 and 7:30AM and doesn't come back around till 3:40 in the afternoon... I start at 10 on Wednesday and Thursday so it's a huge waste of time). It's like an hour of bussing for a 20 minute drive.

Buying used since I probably can't afford collision on whatever I buy anyway (20 in a month and male, woo), been looking at cheap stuff like 2000-ish Corollas (they're built at a plant half an hour from me so they're everywhere) and Civics, and most of what I've come across are manual. Was also checking out mid '90s Civic SI coupes and Integras to fix up myself for kicks and I think I've only come across a couple automatics out of probably fifty or sixty ads, and they want way too much for them.

Most of my friends don't have cars and the ones that do have automatics so if I buy a stick my dad'll teach me how to drive it, but I don't think I know anyone who actually has a manual.

Ketchup345
Nov 23, 2010, 06:46 PM
Possibly on-topic, possibly off-topic question: have you ever been the primary driver of a car before? Or how much time have you spent driving since you got your license? On topic: how much do you enjoy driving?

Make sure to check insurance rates. The Integra/Civic SI may raise the rates over a normal Civic, due to being a 2 door (I rarely see 4 door SIs), and probably more power compared to the normal models.

McLaughlin
Nov 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah I've looked at insurance rates on a few different things but they only seem to vary by a few hundred bucks a year. I have one more place to call tomorrow for rough estimates but it doesn't look like I'll be catching much of a break regardless of what I wind up with.

I've never been the primary driver on a policy before; I've been on my mom's policy as an occasional driver since I got my G2. I've had my G for two years, G2 for eight months before that. I drive myself around frequently, but rarely can I borrow my mom's Rav4 for the commute to school, which is why I'm looking. As far as driving goes, I like being able to get around on my own. Pretty comfortable behind the wheel.

I actually came across a 4 door Integra earlier today for $1,500, but the rear left quarter panel is starting to show rust (I think rust on the rear is pretty typical for Hondas anyway?) and I have no idea what kind of shape the engine and transmission are in. I know the dealer though and most of what they sell has seen better days, so I dunno if I even want to check that one out or not. I know I'll end up paying more if I get an SI or Integra GSR/RS/LS/whatever other dozen makes there are just because most of them are coupes.

sCI
Nov 23, 2010, 10:26 PM
The way I see it is if you enjoy driving, you should get a car you enjoy. If your are one of those types of people that just drive to get from A to B and no more, then don't make it a big deal.

Working on a car for a non car-gay/gal is one of the hardest things for them. Some people just don't care. If you are not a fan of driving, you probably won't like a fixer upper or a manual. Keep that in mind.

If you have a lot of spare time, enjoy getting and staying oily and dirty for a while(or are at least tolerant of it), and have money to replace stuff, then a fixerupper is perfect!

Split
Nov 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
Stick is hella fun to drive, and you can get a better deal on a manual if you're looking to save money.

Ketchup345
Nov 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
By primary driver I meant you were the one who mainly drove a single car (basically if the car moved, odds were you were driving), but it sounds as if you weren't.

By how much you enjoy driving I didn't mean the freedom, but rather do you enjoy the actual act of driving. You, the car, the road. Do you view driving as point A to point B, or more than that (some sort of fun)?

Rust will probably be common on many older cars, since I'm going to assume you get a lot of snow (and as a result sand and/or salt put on the roads).

Volcompat321
Nov 24, 2010, 12:45 AM
Driving a manual transmission can be a hassle, but do it.

Learn from a friend as Ketchup suggested, even if you end up buying an automatic.
I love a manual transmission!

With newer/low mile manual transmission, you can "teach" your car to run the way you want.
Whether it be performance, or just a gas saving, easy going drive.

They're fun, fun to learn on, and just good to know.

PIT
Nov 24, 2010, 05:31 AM
I can't imagine what I'd do with my left foot and right hand if I drove auto... Apparently, you actually CAN get a driver's licence allowing you to drive only automatic here. Where I'm from, automatic transmissions are pretty rare. My dad had one ages ago, but he switched years before I could actually think about driving myself. I've been driving manuals for the last 3 or 4 years and it's not really difficult at all. I even drove an automatic once. It was quite boring. Stick with the stick.

Seira7
Nov 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
Manual is so much more fun! I first learned how to drive stick in the Atlanta suburbs, where there are really steep hills - it was comical to say the least. I also like tooling around in older Bimmers for kicks (we have a 72 Bavaria) so that's another reason I am biased. If a car is just get to a to z it doesn't matter, but if you want to have more fun getting there - drive stick. Also, manual also has a sexiness factor. Got to figure that in ;-)

Then again we live in Albuquerque where it is flat so I kind of forget what its like to burn out a clutch on hills...

Kion
Nov 25, 2010, 12:50 AM
Basically agreeing with everyone else; manual is hella' fun! And chicks dig the stick.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Nov 25, 2010, 05:47 AM
I guess it depends where you're from. US and Canada are automatic on the whole i guess. But it depends what kinda car you wanna get? I'm from UK nearly every car is manual. I prefer a manual in all honesty, but depends what you driven before and what you're most comfortable with. If you're getting anything sporty get a manual, I think an automatic sports car defeats the object of having a high performance car. Also a Honda civic automatic? :O Noo it's a vtec you should manually rev that car to 8,500 per gear it's what it's for xD I know auto's usually have a sports setting but I think it takes a lot of fun out of driving, especially in snow conditions etc when a high gear is safer.

The only auto cars in UK are US impoerts and jaguars, some merc's basically for lazy peopel I think xD My dad drives an automatic jag, few months after the gearbox failed and needed rpelacing and cost more than the car was worth xD That's not to say manual's can't eventually wear out and need replacing but I love a manual.

Tifa

Volcompat321
Nov 25, 2010, 10:06 AM
You just have overall more control over the vehicle if you're driving a manual transmission.

It isn't just a preference, it's a control thing...

You can control how much gas is given, and many more.
Main thing is gas though.

Nai_Calus
Nov 27, 2010, 12:14 AM
Just make sure the car you get wasn't designed by morons. My beloved 2001 Hyundai Accent ate it earlier this year and the car we bought to replace it because we pretty much had to get a car that day or I'd end up losing my job due to absences while mom was out of state and I had to get to work that day as well, so we didn't exactly have time for a lot of testdriving or looking is a 2010 Hyundai Accent hatchback. Fucking thing wants to be shifted into 5th at 35 goddamned miles an hour, and the engine runs at fucking normal freeway speeds like my old one did at 90. I haven't even taken the thing to 85 yet, I'm almost afraid to.