PDA

View Full Version : Tossin out the trash that is G4TV

Roger Triton
Nov 28, 2010, 05:24 PM
DirecTV has pulled G4 from the channel line-up following an end of negotiations between DirecTV and G4 parent company Comcast. According to DirecTV, G4 was removed from the channel list after the latest Nielsen data revealed it to be among the lowest rated networks.

G4 was originally launched back in 2002, initially geared to be a competitor for TechTV (formerly ZDTV) focusing on “the gaming lifestyle” and technology news. G4 eventually purchased TechTV and consolidated much of the programming from it’s former competitor, although it eventually strayed to a format mostly consisting of re-runs of COPS and Ninja Warrior. The only original show from either network to survive the merger was X-Play, which continues to be one of the highest-rated shows left on the dwindling network.

The trainwreck of G4 has been playing out for many years, especially as the focus shifted from gamers and techies to attempting to compete with the ”male-oriented” Spike channel. As they’ve abandoned their original fanbase in some perplexing programming choices, is it any wonder that the network is failing? Will anyone even lament the absence of G4 on DirecTV?

http://www.retrohive.com/2010/11/02/directv-drops-g4-from-channel-line-up

About time. G4 tried to become MTV, which has long since lost any notion of being cool. Take the M out of MTV & you see how G4 has totally taken the games out of their programming.

HeartBreak301
Nov 28, 2010, 05:26 PM
Is it really too much to ask for a channel devoted to solely video games? I mean, we have thousands of channels for a reason.

Roger Triton
Nov 28, 2010, 06:13 PM
Kinda funny how Playboy TV itself isn't doing that well but channel on GARDENING (WTH!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) are doing better.
People are strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1pDnrdS0o

I believe that whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger.

Split
Nov 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah I heard about this...G4 was a TV channel whose target demographic gets most of their information from the internet. A recipe for fail.

McLaughlin
Nov 28, 2010, 07:33 PM
My cable provider still carries it, but I didn't even know I got it until my brother told me about it last week.

Watched it for a night and never bothered again. Awful comedy and no information I haven't already read about the day before. Campus PD was almost entertaining though.

Kent
Nov 29, 2010, 01:43 AM
I can't really say that I blame them for dropping G4. After all, there's, what, maybe three hours of original programming on in a day? The rest of the schedule is filled with Cops and Cheaters.

And to think, they could be broadcasting StarCraft II tournaments in the wee hours of the morning or something, instead of regurgitating outdated TV shows they bought from Fox.

ashley50
Nov 29, 2010, 02:50 AM
wasn't all that great anyways.

Delete
Dec 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
Well, I believe they got rid of Olivia Munn, so now I can care less about G4.

Leviathan
Dec 9, 2010, 09:30 AM
It was good in the short amount of time when they played Arrested Development.

Weeaboolits
Dec 9, 2010, 06:13 PM
I stopped watching it when it was 20 hours of Star Trek a day.

sCI
Dec 9, 2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I believe they got rid of Olivia Munn, so now I can care less about G4.
ditto.

Only a year or so ago is when I literally stumbled on my remote and "found" G4. It just so happened to be on Olivia.

That is/was the only reason I ever watch that channel.

P.S.--Anyone see her new segments on the Daily Show with John Stewart? They're terrible. I hope they get rid of her because to be honest, her segments are ruining the show for me, and that show has been my favorite show on TV for at leas 7-8 years.

McLaughlin
Dec 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
Don't think I've seen her on The Daily Show since the midterm election week.

sCI
Dec 10, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh ok, maybe it was a one occasion thing, or only for a week or so. I unfortunately don't watch too much TV anymore so I haven't been a steady viewer of the show for a couple months. (I was a fool and just assumed seeing her once meant she was a permanent part of the team)

McLaughlin
Dec 10, 2010, 05:41 PM
She'd been contracted for three or four appearances, and I think the plan was to keep her if they went over well. No idea if they have more planned for her or not.