PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with closing your DS while playing PSZ?

Ichi1
Nov 29, 2010, 02:44 PM
I am playing at work, so I need to put my DS down sometimes. I like to close it when I do to conserve battery life.

I was unsure how closing my DS would affect a game if I was playing online. So I tried it today and it seemed fine.
Then I got a phone call and closed my DS for a couple minutes. Finished up the phone call and the DS had shut itself off. This has never happened before with other games, no matter how long I kept the DS closed. I ended up losing a level, a bunch of loot, and about 30 minutes of playtime.

No big deal...at least now I knew.

So next I try again, this time playing offline story mode.
Same exact thing happened.
I tried it and it seemed fine.
I played for about 30 minutes into a quest.
Phone rings....I close the DS for a few minutes....go back to DS.....it shut itself off.

So can you only close you DS for a very, very short time without it turning itself off.

It is kind of important. If I keep losing levels, loot, and time...well then this is just not a game to play at work. Which sucks because that is where I play my DS the most.

Sorry for the wall o' text.
Thanks in advance for any info.

NER0
Nov 29, 2010, 02:58 PM
I've had my DS in sleep mode for several hours at a time and even overnight and its never shut off on me.

Chaos Rappy
Nov 29, 2010, 03:40 PM
Don't shut it too hard, that may be your probelm if you dot hat, just slamming it shut and it turns off instead of sleeping. There may actually simply be a problem with the internal switch in your DS that causes it to go into "sleep mode" and it simply not reactivating when you open it, but more than likely, it'll either be the first case or it could just be a defection in your DS in general. I know I've almost never had any issues like that whatsoever myself, the only similar is the general going offline when you close it when you're online, but that's a no-brainer incident there, since you're cutting off the wireless signal to the DS, which would lead to a D/C.

Pirrip
Nov 29, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have the original DS model and I've never had an issue with it. It's never shut off on my during sleep mode.

Kytan
Nov 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
It did that to me once, but that's it.

GUARDIANDNL
Nov 29, 2010, 06:51 PM
then it must be a problem with the console itself....i leave my ds with PSZ on sleep mode while playing through eternal tower for the night...and the next morning my game was just fine

Ichi1
Nov 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Another quick question to those who have left their DS in sleep mode and never had it shut down....if you remember, where you out in the feild?

Both times my DS shut down I was in the feild (a safe spot in the feild).
I tried it again last night, with my character in the city, and it stayed in sleep mode for more than 30 minutes without shutting down.

Daak
Nov 30, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yah I live in ghana so it can get realy hot even at night but even through tht my ds survied at sleepmode and tht more than once so this must be a prob tht is serois ...

PSZFann
Nov 30, 2010, 05:44 PM
it shouldnt effect it just save power... never had mine shut off

MAXrobo
Nov 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
Iv left it on overnight many time when im doing the eternal tower , and iv never had it shutdown on me. it shouldnt matter where you are in the game.

Roger Triton
Dec 2, 2010, 03:06 AM
The DS will go into sleep mode on PSzero. (Wikipedia is listing a few games that don't go into sleep mode). Your battery will normally drop a little even if it's completely turned off, so I don't think leaving it a few hours/day or two would hurt anything.

I've gotten so used to fact checking things, i skip wikipedia & look on youtube. Yep, youtube says sleep mode works pretty good.