PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Sega: from PSOW. All PSO2 fans please read.

Chaobo99
Dec 2, 2010, 11:45 PM
I saw another thread and people looked interested in perhaps writing a letter to SOJ about our own ideas, perhaps to encourage them to take certain ideas into conideration. I have family in Japan/who have lived in Japan for 10+ years so I might find someone willing to take the time to do a fluent translation for me(as my japanese is limited to speech). If you know japanese, send me a PM as well for future reference, it will help.

As for what to write, I figure all of us won't agree on everything so only the top ideas the majority can agree on will be put into the "rough draft". Post all your (decent, logical) ideas here. The following posts, please make references to your opinion(s) on previously posted ideas as well as your own, obviously. Try to organize your post with quotes and seperate you own ideas from opinions on other ideas. This "letter" is "living" as in it's going to be revised constantly with new ideas so keep the posts coming(in an organized fashion of course).

Please do not limit your ideas to sending me a PM. Those ideas will not be considered, this letter is going to be "written" by the vast majority.

Also please no nominations, even if the idea belongs to someone else, post it here and simply give credit where it belongs.

I'll read posts constantly and provide bullet point notes on our strongest ideas in this OP, then eventually, the english letter and later, a copy of the final, translated japanese version

I'll edit this OP with what we got excluding final, formal revisions till the end.

Our objective here is to write our combined ideas and provide sega with a nice, encouraging letter from Phantasy Star's most die-hard fans. It's our only way of getting our ideas "out there" at the moment and I strongly advise we take every advantage we can get as the future community of PSO2 while the game is in development.

I'm also very aware sega might not even put the exact idea into the game, or even at all, but it'll have them thinking about said "idea" and perhaps they will provide PSO2 with a version of said idea that works. Everything is in development. Does it mean they'll read our letter? No. Does it mean they'll even consider our ideas? No. But they might, we have nothing to lose by doing this.

Letter:

"Dear Sega of Japan,

From all your loyal and die-hard fans here at Pso-World, we appreciate the fact you have decided to create a brand new online version of, for a majority of us, our most favorite series, Phantasy Star. We really hope the development team has decided to take a large leap in advancing the amount of content available to the Phantasy Star Online community upon release and the years that follow. We here at Pso-World hope that PSO2 will become one of the most enjoyable and memorable video games of all time, much like it's predecesors Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast all the way to Blue Burst on PC...." [unfinished]

Possible inputs:
Different clothing for battle and lobby.
Super rare weapons have unique abilities.
Mags [insert info]

The above is NO WHERE even close to what our final letter will be. Consider it an "outline" of some sort. Please don't make rude comments on what is hasn't even become yet.

The OP has been edited this amount of times: 10

•Col•
Dec 2, 2010, 11:49 PM
I nominate paracelsus's clothing idea that he posted in the "Here's the one thing that PSO2 has to nail to interest me, and (probably) you" thread. :p

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 2, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hate to burst your bubble (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlatantLies), but this is a silly idea for several reasons. Primarily, you will never get everyone here (or anywhere) to agree even remotely well enough on what to write. Furthermore, they almost certainly won't give a fuck.

•Col•
Dec 2, 2010, 11:51 PM
Hate to burst your bubble (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlatantLies), but this is a silly idea for several reasons. Primarily, you will never get everyone here (or anywhere) to agree even remotely well enough on what to write. Furthermore, they almost certainly won't give a fuck.

UMM, you do know that on PSO2's Japanese site, they deliberately made a page for people to send in their suggestions for them to read, right? And I'm sure we can all agree on at least a few things...

Chaobo99
Dec 2, 2010, 11:54 PM
I already know not everyone will agree on EVERYTHING. But if a greater majority agrees on an idea, I suppose that's a too bad. I'm also very aware sega might not even put the exact idea into the game, or even at all, but it'll have them thinking about said "idea" and perhaps they will provide PSO2 with a version of said idea that works.

Also please no nominations, even if the idea belongs to someone else, post it here and simply give credit where it belongs. Thanks for the effort though :).

•Col•
Dec 2, 2010, 11:59 PM
I already know not everyone will agree on EVERYTHING. But if a greater majority agrees on an idea, I suppose that's a too bad.

Also please no nominations, even if the idea belongs to someone else, post it here and simply give credit where it belongs. Thanks for the effort though :).

Lol, didn't want to seem like I was trying to take credit for it.

Getting into character customization for the main body I believe the WWE Wrestling games have the right idea, the amount of detail you can do with their creator is near infinite. For the clothing on the Created characters I'd say there should be two main concurrent dress set-ups.
In play/Battle attire which will have a more PSO Armored and/or Military look and style.
Lobby/Community rooms attire which will have a Formal and/or Casual look and style.

In style one your getting down to business, while in style two your relaxing with friends and allies. I also think the clothing art should also be of a dark mood/nature, but have vividly displayed colors like much of PSO's areas (Mines 2).

Also, um.... Why don't we just mention Mags in the letter? Because technically, just because this is PSO2... Doesn't mean Mags HAVE to return... We should at least remind Sega that we want them, lol. This is something I think we can all really agree on...

Mike
Dec 3, 2010, 12:00 AM
UMM, you do know that on PSO2's Japanese site, they deliberately made a page for people to send in their suggestions for them to read, right? And I'm sure we can all agree on at least a few things...
That page isn't for suggestions but for messages of encouragement. Like"I've been waiting for years for a new PSO, thanks!" or "I'm looking forward to PSO2." Not "We demand PSO2 to be blahblahblah."

•Col•
Dec 3, 2010, 12:02 AM
That page isn't for suggestions but for messages of encouragement. Like"I've been waiting for years for a new PSO, thanks!" or "I'm looking forward to PSO2." Not "We demand PSO2 to be blahblahblah."

XD

Well, I blame this article then: http://www.segabits.com/?p=5454

I can't read Japanese, not my fault.....

MAXrobo
Dec 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
well somthing i think is important to have in PSO2 is that some of the super rare weapons have unique abilitys. they did this in PSO with Sealed J-sword, lavis cannon, and alot of others.

Corey Blue
Dec 3, 2010, 05:19 PM
I saw another thread and people looked interested in perhaps writing a letter to SOJ about our own ideas, perhaps to encourage them to take certain ideas into conideration. I have family in Japan/who have lived in Japan for 10+ years so I might find someone willing to take the time to do a fluent translation for me(as my japanese is limited to speech). If you know japanese, send me a PM as well for future reference, it will help.

As for what to write, I figure all of us won't agree on everything so only the top ideas the majority can agree on will be put into the "rough draft". Post all your (decent, logical) ideas here. The following posts, please make references to your opinion(s) on previously posted ideas as well as your own, obviously. Try to organize your post with quotes and seperate you own ideas from opinions on other ideas. This "letter" is "living" as in it's going to be revised constantly with new ideas so keep the posts coming(in an organized fashion of course).

Please do not limit your ideas to sending me a PM. Those ideas will not be considered, this letter is going to be "written" by the vast majority.

Also please no nominations, even if the idea belongs to someone else, post it here and simply give credit where it belongs.

I'll read posts constantly and provide bullet point notes on our strongest ideas in this OP, then eventually, the english letter and later, a copy of the final, translated japanese version

I'll edit this OP with what we got excluding final, formal revisions till the end.

Our objective here is to write our combined ideas and provide sega with a nice, encouraging letter from Phantasy Star's most die-hard fans. It's our only way of getting our ideas "out there" at the moment and I strongly advise we take every advantage we can get as the future community of PSO2 while the game is in development.

I'm also very aware sega might not even put the exact idea into the game, or even at all, but it'll have them thinking about said "idea" and perhaps they will provide PSO2 with a version of said idea that works. Everything is in development.

Letter:

"Dear Sega of Japan,

Our ideas are as followed...

(?) The return of Mags: [insert additional info]"

The above is NO WHERE even close to what our final letter will be. Consider it an "outline" of some sort. Please don't make rude comments on what is hasn't even become yet.

The OP has been edited this amount of times: 8
Already sent mines in,fully translated,well one was English and the other was Japanese,I want my buzzcut and black and blue Humar Armor :D

Corey Blue
Dec 3, 2010, 05:20 PM

Mines was a mixture of both.

Sir Green Aluminum
Dec 4, 2010, 02:10 AM
1. Tell them to fire the idiots in Sega of America and to stop taking out the Japanese vocal tracks from the openings of games and making them into musical montages.
2. Hire someone who knows about server security/game hacking.
3. Please don't use peer to peer architecture.
4. Timely English info and release.

Venomous_Fate
Dec 5, 2010, 10:30 AM
Please, please...gear this game's feel away from a kid's game. Maybe something is lost in translation here for me. I've been an anime / jrpg fan since I was little, and I'm 26 now. PSU seems geared towards the same crowd that sees a preview for Sonic Colors and starts jumping up and down and running in circles reeeeeally fast.

At least gear it twards teenagers? I don't need gore or anything like that, but if I see anything that even comes close to the Vol Brothers in this game, it's going back to store from whence it came. Old school PS had a campy look to it, but the storyline was serious. Maybe that was a mistake or an accident on Sega's part, and they meant to put out a children's version of Final Fantasy. I doubt it, though.

I don't mean to be a jerk either, in case there are a bunch of 10-13 year olds on these boards. Please excuse me if that's the case. I don't read a terrible lot here, but with PSO2 on the horizon, I need to put my cents in someplace. I have a feeling somebody important might just browse through some of this stuff at some point.

I can tolerate big screw-ups with gameplay mechanics, graphics, etc. Even atrocious music is excusable as long as I get the ONE SINGLE THING that I've been longing for ever since I saw my first previews of PSO: A storyline that I can take seriously!!!! It doesn't even have to connect the other storylines!!! Just don't make me feel ashamed to show the game's offline mode to friends for crying out loud!!!! My girlfriend laughed me out of the house when I booted up PSU in a flurry of fanboyism. PSO would not have gotten that kind of response. Old school PS CERTAINLY would not--even to this day.

Again, maybe I'm just a dummy and PSU's style is actually what people who are old enough to remember PSO are asking for. For me: Don't make another mockery of my Phantasy Star.

Purple Lamplight
Dec 5, 2010, 03:33 PM
(?) The return of Mags: [insert additional info]"

Im pretty sure that Mags are gonna be in it. It is PSO after all and hopefully it wont be like the psu Mags.

NoiseHERO
Dec 5, 2010, 04:35 PM
I only really like that weird clothing change Idea if it means I get to henshin back n forth whenever I want between any outfit.

Otherwise I'd rather wear what I want whenever I want (ie: T-shirt and Jeans on the frontline of battle.)

Sinue_v2
Dec 5, 2010, 08:33 PM
How do you say "You'd better not fuck this up, or so help me I will track down every last member of Sonic Team responsible and firebomb your goddamned houses" in Japanese?

Wayu
Dec 5, 2010, 08:39 PM
Google translate churned this out:

あなたは、この交流より性交しないだろうか私はすべての最後を追跡する私を助けて
ソニックチーム責任者のメンバーが、あなたのgoddamned住宅夷.

Dunno about the goddamned part. Honestly, though I'm Japanese, I don't know how to exactly say that lol...

-Wayu

Kion
Dec 5, 2010, 11:26 PM

Exactly. There not looking for ideas. It's been ten years since PSO came out and I think we'd probably be better off not making demands as to how the game is designed. When PSU came out everyone was bitching that it wasn't like PSO, so I think what ever the game is we should acknowledge it as a new game and leave the designers to do there thing.

As for the game implementation, I think we have a little bit of say in that. The two points I'm concerned about are 1) A decent US release and 2) A non anime style "story" mode.

As far as writing it I was thinking of phrasing it like:

"Hello PSO2 Team,

This is a letter from PSO-World.com, an American Community of Phantasy Star Fans. We all really enjoyed Phatasy Star Online, and Phantasy Star Universe and we're looking forward to PSO2.

We really enjoyed the look and feel of PSO, so we're hoping to see a return to that. It was a lot more fun when you had quests which granted incite into the incident over all rather than being put in the center as a useless rookie and dragged along despite not contributing anything. PSO definitely had a great story telling technique and while we acknowledge it's a new game and it should speak for itself, we'd definitely appretiate a divergence from the PSZ, PSP2, PSU style of anime story telling.

Also living in America it feels like we've been quite neglected when it comes ot content. PSO almost never saw any new content and PSU is several years behind the Japanese schedule. In this release we're hoping you make the game an international release with the Japanese and Western servers linked (you can keep the communities separate if you want to).

Looking forward to the new game, we know that you have a lot in store and we're really looking forward to a new experience playing online.

Sincerely,
PSOW"

-or something along those lines. To the OP, for a translator, either me or Espio.

Wayu
Dec 5, 2010, 11:30 PM
It may be better to say "International Community of Phantasy Star fans". It carries more weight.

No mentioning of combat/class/race/mission/any system? We could bring it up somehow if the writer of this letter wishes.

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 5, 2010, 11:46 PM
It will be a letter of encouragement, but we can implement ideas into the core of the letter. I am also thinking we can mail more then one letter over time to add further encouragement and throw in ideas in small packages, it's NOT a letter of pure demands.
Someone may or may not read the letter, but at the very least, if they do, it's possible for an idea to be considered, or recreated. Just have to note that no one here will get credit for said idea.

Wayu
Dec 6, 2010, 12:19 AM
If there's the chance that SEGA will read it, let's do it. We aren't losing anything by doing this. Let's start compiling the general ideas and thoughts we're going to put in this letter - sound good for now?

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 6, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yea, after all, that's what the first post basically says lol. Your post is the whole point i'm doing this. SEGA MIGHT read it, and we ARE NOT losing anything from writing this.

Also, it's a nice little spot to organize our ideas and later when more game info comes out, find out what ideas actually made the cut ^^ lol

Wayu
Dec 6, 2010, 12:25 AM
Whoopsies. My B.

BTW, is there a PSO2 blog at all?

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
I don't know of any, but I'm more then positive there are some out there. I can dig around and find some, if not just make one.

•Col•
Dec 6, 2010, 02:03 AM
Whoopsies. My B.

BTW, is there a PSO2 blog at all?

-Wayu

Do you mean an Official blog, or a fan blog?

Rei-San
Dec 6, 2010, 02:20 AM
Exactly. There not looking for ideas. It's been ten years since PSO came out and I think we'd probably be better off not making demands as to how the game is designed. When PSU came out everyone was bitching that it wasn't like PSO, so I think what ever the game is we should acknowledge it as a new game and leave the designers to do there thing.

As for the game implementation, I think we have a little bit of say in that. The two points I'm concerned about are 1) A decent US release and 2) A non anime style "story" mode.

As far as writing it I was thinking of phrasing it like:

"Hello PSO2 Team,

This is a letter from PSO-World.com, an American Community of Phantasy Star Fans. We all really enjoyed Phatasy Star Online, and Phantasy Star Universe and we're looking forward to PSO2.

We really enjoyed the look and feel of PSO, so we're hoping to see a return to that. It was a lot more fun when you had quests which granted incite into the incident over all rather than being put in the center as a useless rookie and dragged along despite not contributing anything. PSO definitely had a great story telling technique and while we acknowledge it's a new game and it should speak for itself, we'd definitely appretiate a divergence from the PSZ, PSP2, PSU style of anime story telling.

Also living in America it feels like we've been quite neglected when it comes ot content. PSO almost never saw any new content and PSU is several years behind the Japanese schedule. In this release we're hoping you make the game an international release with the Japanese and Western servers linked (you can keep the communities separate if you want to).

Looking forward to the new game, we know that you have a lot in store and we're really looking forward to a new experience playing online.

Sincerely,
PSOW"

-or something along those lines. To the OP, for a translator, either me or Espio.

Yes... YES! Send it! Beautiful, fantastic, really speaks to them from all of our hearts. :)

... Just one problem though, You said we appreciate PSU anime style of story telling. What "Style" were you talking about?

I once had a really deep conversation with another PSOW user about the story telling of the games that made me realise what I liked about more PSO than PSU. PSU had that more stereotypical "Let's save the world" type of story, while PSO story had a more darker and serious storytelling of corruption, exploitation, and you and others having to fight for yourselves to manage rather than helping out others like the Hunters are supposed to do. The whole Black Paper thing was pretty deep. The story also emphasized death a lot better than the other. Did anyone else cry when Ult died? :( And also the realization of what happened during the final bosses. You killed Rico and Flowen. It wasn't their falt that they turned into that abomination. Rico was just curious about what happened to tens and thousands of people, and Flowen got wounded trying to save her from her fate. That wound turned out to be an infection and mutated Flowen into Olga Flow. That means that one mistake and you would have been the new Falz/Flow.

But seriously, send this letter. Hopefully it might make sega realize that there is an international fan base crying for attention.

Kion
Dec 6, 2010, 02:58 AM
Read a little closer.

we'd definitely appretiate a divergence from the PSZ, PSP2, PSU style of anime story telling

Polite way of saying "PSU, PSZ and PSP's stories sucked balls"

Agent Bon
Dec 6, 2010, 03:05 AM
Game Client Downloadable: The game client must be downloadable, even if you have to pay for it. There has to be a way to obtain it after disk production has ended. Also, Steam is a prominent game purchasing and management service, and Sega already has games sold through Steam.

Centralized party browsing: In PSO, a player could go to one place and see all parties in-mission. In PSU, the mission-specific lobbies forced everyone to group around one or two missions in order to find people to play with. It should be more centralized like PSO, but with new sorting features so that you can see what you most want to join first. Parties that you cannot currently join should automatically be at the end of the list.

Veteran and New Player interaction: When I joined PSU about 2 years in, hardly anyone would help me level up or make money or get gear. I had a very difficult time and did a lot of soloing. I do not want that to happen to anyone. There must be some encouragement for veteran players to help out new players. Also, it should probably be easier for new players to become powerful enough that veterans won't just kick them out of parties for being too weak.

Cooperation: I believe that PSO and PSU have been the best when encouraging cooperation. To make you glad that you aren't just playing alone. You should still be able to play with a smaller group, and perhaps solo some things, but cooperation should be the focus. Phantasy Star games should encourage cooperation and sharing what each character can provide to ensure the success of the group. Also, players should feel proud to stand with their comrades in order to achieve their common goals.

Wayu
Dec 6, 2010, 06:40 AM
Any kind of blog where we could potentially get some kind of info. Doesn't matter if it's in Japanese, I can read it.

-Wayu

Mike
Dec 6, 2010, 07:12 AM
Steam is a prominent game purchasing and management service, and Sega already has games sold through Steam.
Steam does not have nearly anywhere near the market penteration in Japan as it may have in the west. A downloadable client of some sort would be nice but getting it via Steam doesn't seem likely.

Kion
Dec 6, 2010, 09:07 AM
Game Client Downloadable: The Japanese PSU client is downloadable from there website. We may see something similar with PSO2.
Centralized party browsing: I think ST realized their mistake with too many lobbies in PSU, hopefully we'll see improvements in that regard.
Veteran and New Player interaction: Use the forums. It would be kind of cool if they had titles or rewards you could get for helping new players.
Cooperation: This is pretty much a given.

paracelsus
Dec 6, 2010, 09:16 AM
Veteran and New Player interaction: Use the forums. It would be kind of cool if they had titles or rewards you could get for helping new players.

I believe FFXI had a system that fixed that issue between New and Veteran player teaming together, maybe that could work for PSO2? Also I kinda don't like the idea of titles because it reminds me of an achievement system, and most achievements are erroneous, pointless, unnecessarily difficult, or down right impossible. I like the Idea of rewards, but how would you really reward someone for doing what you should be doing anyways? The New player you help now might be a great ally later.

Kent
Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 PM
Steam does not have nearly anywhere near the market penteration in Japan as it may have in the west. A downloadable client of some sort would be nice but getting it via Steam doesn't seem likely.
At the same time though, if they're serious about making the game into a world-wide thing and catering to customers other than just those in Japan (I can dream), Steam might be their best option.

•Col•
Dec 6, 2010, 05:13 PM
Any kind of blog where we could potentially get some kind of info. Doesn't matter if it's in Japanese, I can read it.

-Wayu

Official Blog for PSP2/PSO2(Japanese): http://ameblo.jp/phantasy-star-portable2/

Right now it's mainly focusing on PSP2Infinity details...... But every once in a while, it has an article on PSO2, which is where all the information we currently have on it is coming from.

Fan Blog(English): http://bumped.org/psublog/

The fan blog basically translates every article the Official Blog creates to English... With some of their own opinions/speculation/bonus articles thrown in, of course. :)

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 6, 2010, 06:47 PM
1. I would like more mag evo stages, 2. keep the art style similar to PSO, 3. give more weapons that are still diverse. 4. keep the idea from PSO of having basic weapons of each weapon class looking the same for the most part and then when you start getting rares they look unique

Mike
Dec 6, 2010, 08:23 PM
At the same time though, if they're serious about making the game into a world-wide thing and catering to customers other than just those in Japan (I can dream), Steam might be their best option.
It would certainly be a good way to distribute a downloadable client but I think it would take a lot of convincing to get the game on Steam.

Googlebonker
Dec 6, 2010, 11:22 PM
One of the major things SEGA needed to have has already been addressed: globalizing their servers. PSU should have had worldwide, cross-platform servers.

The three biggest things that SEGA needs to get right after that are great customer service and support, an excellent handling plan for their game content, and fully-developed security planning.

Since they will have globalized servers, they should have a more globalized view of customer service and support. Some of the problems in PSU PC/PS2(3) cropped up because there seemed to be a disconnect between SEGA of Japan and SEGA of America. Because of this disconnect, customers became displeased with the game even though SoA might have been doing the best they could possibly do with what authority they were given. They`ll need customer support in multiple languages.

Let`s face it: SEGA hasn`t been the most impressive company when introducing new content. PLEASE don`t give me that "unlocking content that`s already on the disk REALLY slowly" stuff EVER again! Give us expansions where all of the content is available from release! : D DO NOT under any circumstances (except extreme ones) EVER do a rollback.

Phabtasy Star Online games AND Phantasy Star Universe had one recurring theme: hacking. Hacking was prevelant in the Gamecube Ep1&2 community (frozen screen, anyone?), and PSU PC/PS2(3) was hacked early, which affected the community probably until the servers were taken down. While some changes have been made concerning server-side saving of character information, SEGA needs to prove to themselves that this game is a fortess that can`t get hacked BEFORE they release it! They also need to test content updates for potential security flaws, holes, eggs, vomit, and hairy Satos BEFORE they release any additional content.

For me, it`s not as much about the game: SEGA knows how to make a good game. I mean, most of us are chomping at the bit to get any information we can on PSO2, so they must have done something right. I`m not saying that the game system can`t be tweaked, either (Come on with that First Person Shooter mode for guns, already, SEGA!).

I really hope SEGA does the best job they`ve ever done with this game. Maybe some players will even consider not calling them SEGAC any more. n_n Here`s hoping!

MAXrobo
Dec 7, 2010, 04:42 PM
Of course we all hope that this game will be a fortress thats imposible to hack. but the truth is that this is very hard in games, especially in an MMO. there just isnt enough time to find every problem or hole in the game before its release. im more hoping that once the game is released that they try to catch most of the hacking early on, and fix it before they lose most of their players like what happened with PSU.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 7, 2010, 08:42 PM
i want it on a disc... am i alone in that?
and a playable offline

paracelsus
Dec 7, 2010, 08:47 PM
No... I like physical media too. Computers crash, databases can get corrupted, but a CD/DVD/Blue Ray Disc... you only have to worry about scratching it.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 7, 2010, 08:58 PM
plus, theres nothing more satisfying than walking home looking at some awesome box art, opening up the box and finding the disc to what you've waited forever for.

Reksanden
Dec 7, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would love if Sega.... Can't make up my mind on either being like PSO's weapon system, or being more like PSZ's... But you get the idea.

zacriac
Dec 7, 2010, 09:57 PM
For me i only want the old 3 combo strike and special attack on wepon ... and rappy...and booma(not a booma origine crap) ........

Kent
Dec 8, 2010, 03:16 PM
plus, theres nothing more satisfying than walking home looking at some awesome box art, opening up the box and finding the disc to what you've waited forever for.
Not to mention, there's nothing quite like the smell of a new game.

MAXrobo
Dec 8, 2010, 06:01 PM

i second that!

Wayu
Dec 8, 2010, 07:47 PM

Lolwut?

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
Lolwut?

-Wayu

It's an exaggeration. It's like saying "Ah the fresh smell of snow in the winter"

Mike
Dec 8, 2010, 09:16 PM
or being more like PSZ's...
So you want to have to stop, stand still, and then open the menu to be able to change weapons?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 8, 2010, 09:32 PM
I say, give us our quick menus, and big menu, and let us walk while we use them, thats one thing PSZ had a problem in, why not just make the main touch screen based? then we can still walk while in it.

Wayu
Dec 8, 2010, 10:40 PM
Touch-based? As in, the screen of the TV/PC/Whatever is touch-sensitive?

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 9, 2010, 01:30 AM
I think it's reference to how PSZ should've had touch screen menus.

Blizz3112
Dec 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
I just want to know what will make this game unique from the previous ones... perhaps they can shed a little light on what they want to adjust in comparison to PSO1 and PSU... They don't have to show all, just a basic adjustment that would INDEED be better in comparison to the older games... ;-)

There's a high chance they will not respond to that, but maybe, just maybe, they will... :D

Googlebonker
Dec 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
Oh, yes, one other thing...

I`d like them to explain PSO`s story. lol

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 9, 2010, 03:25 PM

-Wayu

no , i mean the PSZ menu as in the DS game, not the computer monitor

MAXrobo
Dec 9, 2010, 05:47 PM

-Wayu

you could use the Xbox kinect/playstation move if its on consles. but i think that would work pretty badly.

paracelsus
Dec 9, 2010, 07:32 PM
It woulod be like trying to play PSO With a Wii mote

Kent
Dec 9, 2010, 08:15 PM
It's an exaggeration. It's like saying "Ah the fresh smell of snow in the winter"
It wasn't an exaggeration; the smell of cracking open the case to a brand new game that is relatively-fresh into existance is part of the multi-sensory experience of getting a new game. Once that smell gets associated with the anticipation of a brand new game you've been waiting for, they're pretty much forever tied together - to the point of that smell being almost-euphoric, reminding you of all of the great games of the past that you've picked up when they were still fresh.

paracelsus
Dec 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
Sounds almost like a slice of pizza, lol.

Chaobo99
Dec 9, 2010, 10:04 PM
It wasn't an exaggeration; the smell of cracking open the case to a brand new game that is relatively-fresh into existance is part of the multi-sensory experience of getting a new game. Once that smell gets associated with the anticipation of a brand new game you've been waiting for, they're pretty much forever tied together - to the point of that smell being almost-euphoric, reminding you of all of the great games of the past that you've picked up when they were still fresh.

Very poetic. I usually only get excited like this when I get a new console. WHich in the past, has been tied together with buying a new gamecube and running to 6 different malls to find a ethernet cable modem for it just to play PSO:Ep1&2

lostinseganet
Dec 12, 2010, 11:41 AM
We need global connected servers. I and hundreds of others cant stand paying for a game and seeing jpn get more, and better stuff sooner. I can wait, but I can't stand seeing someone else get better service that we are both paying for.

Dongra
Dec 12, 2010, 02:33 PM
I just want the global servers so we can actually have a stable population.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 12, 2010, 05:48 PM
also, i may have said this somewhere, but a playable offline mode that doesnt take a subscription fee, even if its an entirely separate, cuz who knows of ill be able to pay a monthly fee, i seriously doubt it

Kent
Dec 12, 2010, 06:24 PM
also, i may have said this somewhere, but a playable offline mode that doesnt take a subscription fee, even if its an entirely separate, cuz who knows of ill be able to pay a monthly fee, i seriously doubt it
There are plenty of ways they could keep the game up and running without monthly fees - I mean, look at Diablo II: It's been up and running ever since it launched in 1999, and it's significantly more server-intensive than either PSO or PSU ever have been, and it's got no monthly fee at all.

I really don't think a monthly fee is justified for a game like PSO - if they decide to go ahead and give us all of the on-disc content from the get-go (which is what they should be doing), then I think I'd much rather occasionally pay a small amount to buy expansions when they come out (the Borderlands approach).

Not to mention, you know, if we have a city environment like we did in PSO (and PSU, for that matter), they could easily configure their servers and strike some deals to put up a few real advertisement banners around the city. They could even tailor them to be relevant to specific IP ranges (so Japanese ads go to people playing from Japan, US ads to people playing in the US, etc.). This alone would probably pay for the server upkeep costs - assuming, of course, that they've made the game good enough in the first place, to attract and keep a sizable population.

MAXrobo
Dec 13, 2010, 04:48 PM
im ok with anything as long as there are no cash shops. i HATE them so much!

Kent
Dec 13, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm against unjustifiable excess payment for access to things that the player has already downloaded. Monthly fees are one thing, but if I need to shell out an extra $5 just to access some more costumes that are already in the client I'm using to play, then that's just unfair. Especially if said purchasable items have any impact at all on gameplay.

I'd much rather see games that don't favor people who have more real money to throw at them.

Kion
Dec 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
I was against PSU-JP's cash shop at first, but it looks like they actually try on the items in cash shop, enough that it's worth spending money on. For a pay system I'd like to see something like play is free, and all of the content on the disk is unlocked, but you had the option to pay for additional downloadable updates once every three months. Grinding boosts, luck, special missions and special missions could be purchased separately.

Sahib
Dec 14, 2010, 10:13 AM
If PSO2 were to essentially be PSO for the gcube, but with better graphics, smoother combos (perhaps somewhat similar to monster hunter 3 style fighting), and the running/rolling from psz, I would be very happy.

Also, the ability for it to be played online with people using different consoles, i.e. from my ps3 I can play with my friend who plays from his xbox or pc online. 2player online from the same console wouldn't hurt either (online w/siblings etc.)

That would be perfect.

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
I hate to say it folks, but Japanese people are quite xenophobic. Ever see how they hang out in large groups in the lounge? They never mix, from what I can see. A global server? Try WoW. Be thankful that the U.S. even has updates, because PSO/PSU has never been 1/2 as popular here as it has been in Japan.

My Sega request: Have a server just for Europe/U.S./Australia and update it at the same time as the Japan server. Not months later. Even if the content has to be a bit less. I'll take updates over a fast server, if that's what it means.

Googlebonker
Dec 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yuck, no! Non-globalized servers were one aspect that sucked about PSU. Even if were those people out there on games who wanted to make JP Only or US Only parties, at least I had a choice to be able to make a party where anyone who wanted and met the requirements could join.

While language barriers have existed for many people, there are people out there who speak multiple languages. If those people had family both in the US and in Japan and wanted to play PSU with them, they`d have to have two different versions of the same game or use imported versions. Am I right?

Globalized servers were something I enjoyed about Final Fantasy XI. A truly international game should have an easy-to-use text translation system. FFXI did a good job, but it could have been better. I hope SEGA takes some cues and comes up with a similar plan.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
My Sega request: Have a server just for Europe/U.S./Australia and update it at the same time as the Japan server.This will never happen, as it is clear that Sega of Japan is in charge of every bit of content that we get on our servers, and, as you said, they are just a bit too ethnocentric to bother caring about our servers.

Global servers are the only answer. Don't like playing with the Japanese? Then don't play with them. Gee, that was hard.

Kent
Dec 16, 2010, 02:22 AM
Grinding boosts, luck, special missions and special missions could be purchased separately.
No. No, no, no.

Players should never be able to pay extra for an advantage over others - it's basically amoral, from a design standpoint. If players are paying microtransactions for content, it should be in the form of things that don't make their characters automatically better at the game (for any reason - including things like drop rates).

I really dislike the notion of "free to play, with microtransactions" for this very purpose; people can simply buy advantages over other players - differences in real-world expendable money should not equate to differences in virtual-world advantages.

Ideally, I'd rather see a system more in line with what the first Guild Wars had: People buy a full game for a full price, which has all of its content accessible from the get-go - down the road, people can simply buy expansion packs that don't give advantages or simply add shiny new cloths onto characters; they give brand new chapters that are added onto the base game. Much like how everyone who buys the base game should be on a level playing field with each other, everyone who purchases the expansion doesn't get advantages - they're still on a level field - they just get more field to play in.

That is, I'd rather players be able to buy substantial amounts of crunch at once, rather than some mix-and-match abomination of fluff and crunch. By packaging things together into less-frequent expansion packs, they can also afford to give it to the players at a more fair price, while also not giving the playerbase the illusion of "choice" that most microtransaction-based systems inevitably will.

AlexCraig
Dec 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
Ideally, I'd rather see a system more in line with what the first Guild Wars had: People buy a full game for a full price, which has all of its content accessible from the get-go - down the road, people can simply buy expansion packs that don't give advantages or simply add shiny new cloths onto characters; they give brand new chapters that are added onto the base game. Much like how everyone who buys the base game should be on a level playing field with each other, everyone who purchases the expansion doesn't get advantages - they're still on a level field - they just get more field to play in.

So, something like Fallout 3's downloadable content minus the increase to level cap? Basically, new areas, monsters, weapons, armors, etc.

Googlebonker
Dec 16, 2010, 07:26 PM
I don`t like it when games have certain pay-for-download content. Costumes are of less importance, but it`s still annoying to have video games where they`re basically trying to cash in on people who want features that could have been included in the full-priced game in the first place.

One example of good pay-for-download content is expansions. If the content doesn`t even exist, it would make sense to buy it after another large portion of content is made.

I don`t like the idea of Marvel VS Capcom 3 having pay-for-download characters that have already been made and could have been included in the initial release. An expansion pak with 25 characters that were made after the game was released might make sense.

Maybe I`m wrong. They have a right to do it if they want to, but that doesn`t mean that everyone is going to like it.

Shadownami92
Dec 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
I personally would like the option for split screen co-op. Some of us have friends or family that would like to make some characters and play together in one household on 1 TV. That was something I enjoyed about PSO was able to play split screen with my brothers at home and take my memory card and play splitscreen at a friends house.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
if its only on PC, how is splitscreen going to work?

Shadownami92
Dec 16, 2010, 10:29 PM
if its only on PC, how is splitscreen going to work?

I was more speculating a PS3 release or some console release of some sort. xD
But yeah, another thing I would prefer is to not have the long unskippable dialogue of PSU and PSZero. And if there are choices in the dialogue, I would prefer them to have more meaningful effects on what goes on in the quest.

I much prefers PSO with the messages being left for you mixed with a small amount of dialogue when someone follows you, even then I would probably prefer no voices, unless of course we could get a promise of actually well done voice acting with a better quality script.

Either way I would still prefer if the actual environments told more of the story just by the way things look (visual clues of past events and whatnot.

Manticore
Dec 24, 2010, 01:35 PM
I liked the concept of each class having one costume type, but with multiple pallet swaps/minor adjustments. PSU felt to me like it had no personality, everyone looked the same no matter what they were doing, and that was pretty uncool to me.
Global servers, with a built in Translator would be nice, I'd love to speak to people from different languages.
Larger Levels, and free roaming, none of that mandatory mission junk.
Keep item synthing, but make every weapon you can synth a rare drop also, that way If you are having a hard time finding a rare, after searching long enough you can just make it yourself with all the mats you found.
Mags, definitely.
Better weapon animations, I always hated seeing in pso the characters running with that huge sword sitting awkwardly in there hands, I liked PSU's weapon animations, but lets avoid those over-the-top anime flips PA's.
PSO felt solid to me, maybe a little clunky, but solid. PSU on the other hand felt like your character was light as a feather, and would go from standing stationary to running full speed the second you hit forward. the controls were annoying to me.
Better AI please. I like to solo sometimes, and I'd like to have an AI partner who is not a burden.
Larger lobbies, but not so huge that it feels vacant.
I'll think of more later.

Kion
Dec 25, 2010, 03:00 AM
Better AI please. I like to solo sometimes, and I'd like to have an AI partner who is not a burden.

I actually enjoy the dumb-shit AI. Very effective meat shield.

Mike
Dec 25, 2010, 03:30 AM
I liked the concept of each class having one costume type, but with multiple pallet swaps/minor adjustments. PSU felt to me like it had no personality, everyone looked the same no matter what they were doing, and that was pretty uncool to me.
So you'd rather have everybody be a pallet swapped version of each other? I thought the mix and match aspect of PSU's clothing/parts allowed for at least some freedom of choice no matter what you played as. Allowing a more varied selection of colors would be nice though. And in the end, when everyone has the same end-game weapons, having a bit more freedom to decide what you look like is always nice.

Global servers, with a built in Translator would be nice, I'd love to speak to people from different languages.
Automatic translation that doesn't make you sound nonsensical isn't around yet and you can be sure it won't show up in PSO2. It may have a word select function like the original PSO did but automatic translation is still too technically difficult to be feasible. Google Translate (http://translate.google.co.jp/), despite being pretty cool, still gives out funky sentences depending on what you're saying. You also need people to type in proper English / Japanese / French / Spanish / German / whatever to get this kind of automatic translation to work properly and that's not something I would trust anyone anywhere to do.

EDIT: Off topic, but Google Translate will pronounce the translation for you for certain languages. This makes me laugh.

NoiseHERO
Dec 25, 2010, 08:41 AM
No """free""" to play, please...

Seriously though, we do NOT need to share anything in common with any korean style MMO's.

Wayu
Dec 25, 2010, 08:59 AM
Google Translate (http://translate.google.co.jp/), despite being pretty cool, still gives out funky sentences depending on what you're saying. You also need people to type in proper English / Japanese / French / Spanish / German / whatever to get this kind of automatic translation to work properly and that's not something I would trust anyone anywhere to do.

EDIT: Off topic, but Google Translate will pronounce the translation for you for certain languages. This makes me laugh.

Search this up in Google - Google Speak or Google Beatbox.

Be amazed.

-Wayu

BIG OLAF
Dec 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
So you'd rather have everybody be a pallet swapped version of each other? I thought the mix and match aspect of PSU's clothing/parts allowed for at least some freedom of choice no matter what you played as. Allowing a more varied selection of colors would be nice though. And in the end, when everyone has the same end-game weapons, having a bit more freedom to decide what you look like is always nice.

Indeed. Why would I want to look like everyone else who shares the same class as me, save for a different color (and possibly headpiece)? That's what has no personality. I loved PSU's customization and clothing. The only thing that needs changing is, like Mike said above, more color options (or maybe even picking whatever color you want from a color pallet or slider, like what you use to pick hair color, etc.).

Why people would want to go back to the -almost- zero customization of PSO's characters is beyond me.

Darki
Dec 25, 2010, 12:40 PM
Well, I'd say because many people has the sense of "fashion" in the a$$hole, and they shouldn't be allowed to choose their outfits for the sake of other people's eyeballs' health. But I'm sure they didn't mean that.

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 25, 2010, 03:36 PM
Global servers are the only answer. Don't like playing with the Japanese? Then don't play with them. Gee, that was hard.

There could be global servers, and the person logged on could (i hate to use this word) segregate their choices to only see/talk with people of their same language.

Which would make it that much easier to find an English/ German/ French/ Chinese/ Japanese/ Thai or whatever to play with.

Would make for a great way to find a foreign bf/gf as well.

And if I didn't say it yet, full QWERTY keyboard support so we could type messages out. Rather than have to use a voicechat to try explaining things. Memos work better than VC imho.

EDIT: A war room, where we could gather a large team of players and not have to worry about anyone stumbling into the conversation. That could lead to some cool possibilities.

Chaobo99
Dec 25, 2010, 05:28 PM
Give people the fashion freedom they want. If you want to look cool fine, but leave the crazy rainbow, trenchcoat wearing, steam punky hoody monster people to themselves.

Also, I kind of like the idea of the poster above me. But "segregating" yourself to the world is sometimes no fun, or at least you won't get a chance to meet very interesting foreign people that could very well speak perfectly good english(or whatever langauge you aim for). There should be some way of immediate identification, maybe when you click on the thumbstick to toggle Name,ID,class,etc.. It could also say language..or maybe next to the name in the lobby.

[E] Chaobo98
[J] Chaobo98 (or whatever...)

Kion
Dec 25, 2010, 10:32 PM
There could be global servers, and the person logged on could (i hate to use this word) segregate their choices to only see/talk with people of their same language.

Which would make it that much easier to find an English/ German/ French/ Chinese/ Japanese/ Thai or whatever to play with.

I agree with this idea. You could have the game all on one server. Universes 1-7 would be for NA, 8 would be a mixed server and 9-15 would be for Japanese (although the numbering would likely be the other way around). And then NA players wouldn't have access to 9-15. That'd still allow for the Japanese to have their xenophobic segregation while keeping the content consistent with both regions.

[spoiler-box]

Would make for a great way to find a foreign bf/gf as well.

*facepalm. If you want a Japanese girlfriend, all you need to do is go to Japan, say a couple of words in English and you should have a couple of girls all over you in a couple of minutes. It's pathetic how much Japanese girls idolize Westerners. One time I got off work at 3am, I saw two Japanese girls holding hands with two white guys as they were obviously heading to a hotel. One guy turns to the other and says, "I have no idea what they are saying" and then the girls faced each other grinning; (Japanese)"I have no idea what they are saying". [/spoiler-box]

NoiseHERO
Dec 26, 2010, 09:20 AM
*facepalm. If you want a Japanese girlfriend, all you need to do is go to Japan, say a couple of words in English and you should have a couple of girls all over you in a couple of minutes. It's pathetic how much Japanese girls idolize Westerners. One time I got off work at 3am, I saw two Japanese girls holding hands with two white guys as they were obviously heading to a hotel. One guy turns to the other and says, "I have no idea what they are saying" and then the girls faced each other grinning; (Japanese)"I have no idea what they are saying".

You win 30 lulzy internets for showing me this.

Anon_Fire
Dec 26, 2010, 09:26 AM
I agree with this idea. You could have the game all on one server. Universes 1-7 would be for NA, 8 would be a mixed server and 9-15 would be for Japanese (although the numbering would likely be the other way around). And then NA players wouldn't have access to 9-15. That'd still allow for the Japanese to have their xenophobic segregation while keeping the content consistent with both regions.

[spoiler-box]

*facepalm. If you want a Japanese girlfriend, all you need to do is go to Japan, say a couple of words in English and you should have a couple of girls all over you in a couple of minutes. It's pathetic how much Japanese girls idolize Westerners. One time I got off work at 3am, I saw two Japanese girls holding hands with two white guys as they were obviously heading to a hotel. One guy turns to the other and says, "I have no idea what they are saying" and then the girls faced each other grinning; (Japanese)"I have no idea what they are saying". [/spoiler-box]

where's EU gonna go?

Kion
Dec 27, 2010, 09:25 AM
I thought EU would be on the same servers as NA and that went with out saying. If you guys want to segregate yourselves, that's cool too.

lostinseganet
Dec 30, 2010, 03:56 AM
IF they do not do world wide servers. The game needs 40-60 hours of online gaming. Because based on just that people will not expect jack from sega for MONTHS. Just do world wide servers

lostinseganet
Dec 30, 2010, 03:58 AM
where's EU gonna go?
Now where these girls...3d or 2d?