PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Phantasy Star Portable 2 awarded !

Pavichokche
Dec 8, 2010, 12:49 PM
So it seems that our beloved game won an award recently ! While the Platinum went to a "Fantasy" game, Phantasy Star Portable 2 managed to snag the Gold at the 2010 Playstation Awards.

Read this :D
Final Fantasy XIII Nabs Top Honors at 2010 PlayStation Awards (http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-xiii-nabs-top)

It qualified for the Gold since (apparently) it's had over 500,000 copies sold. Sadly, I doubt that North American sales have contributed to this number significantly. But hopefully this will change with time. Go Phantasy Star !!!

P.S. Sorry if this is old news or no one cares ><

DoubleJG
Dec 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
Nice. I'm still very curious about God Eater. I have $40 in my PSN wallet, yet I am not so sure that I want to blow it all on one game.

A huge side-note, but does anyone know if Patapon 2's price of $7.99 is a permanent price drop, or just a sale?

Wayu
Dec 8, 2010, 07:56 PM
Yay to both FFXIII and PSPo2! I'll read the article later ^^;.

-Wayu

FOkyasuta
Dec 8, 2010, 08:00 PM
Can sega recoup? From the looks of things... Hell Yes.

Chimeria
Dec 8, 2010, 08:37 PM
I don't think FFXIII deserved the Platinum reward...not saying that PSPo2 did either but it wasn't that good to me. Not once did I care about any of the characters with the exception of Snow and Sahz. I didn't really feel the urge to play more because it never felt like there was a build-up to something cool happening. I hated the gameplay...er...the movies...or whatever you wanna call it. There wasn't enough actual gameplay...I could go on and on ranting.

Hopefully PSPo2:i is released here in the US and advertised appropriately. Seems like the only thing Sega cares about is Sonic. I don't even remember Bayonetta getting advertised that much either. It was just praised by Game reviewers and such. I think PSPo2:i has the potential to be a big hit.

Checkmate
Dec 9, 2010, 02:42 AM
I don't think FFXIII deserved the Platinum reward...not saying that PSPo2 did either but it wasn't that good to me. Not once did I care about any of the characters with the exception of Snow and Sahz. I didn't really feel the urge to play more because it never felt like there was a build-up to something cool happening. I hated the gameplay...er...the movies...or whatever you wanna call it. There wasn't enough actual gameplay...I could go on and on ranting.

Everyone I know that bought FF13 was purely due to fanboyism, yet still hated it because the first 6+ hours of the game felt like a tutorial. The characters were both unbelievable and dull. While the graphics shined, the gameplay and storyline fell short. Just another product to fund the next online FF game or spin-off of FF7...

PSPo2 easily trumps this game even with it's flaws but I guess some folks out there actually liked FF13... Vive la Phantasy!!!:wacko:

Wayu
Dec 9, 2010, 03:21 AM
There's already a new FF online game. FFXIV.

FFXIII was annoying until chapter 12. Then it got fun. Can't wait for Versus, which supposedly is more of an action game.

Were the awards based on JP sales or global sales?

-Wayu

blace
Dec 9, 2010, 03:30 AM
There's already a new FF online game. FFXIV.

FFXIII was annoying until chapter 12. Then it got fun. Can't wait for Versus, which supposedly is more of an action game.

Were the awards based on JP sales or global sales?

-Wayu

My bet is that it's based on JP sales.

The awards I see here are more towards Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and such. The major giveaways were, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd, Wizardry Torawareshi tamashii no meikyu, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Deluxe Pack 1, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Dreamy Theater, and Weekly Toro Station.

Although some of the titles have some renown, they were never released or seen around in the states.

Izuna
Dec 9, 2010, 06:56 AM
pfft, never got to finish XIII. I think I got to Chapter 5? Was having fun though, maybe I'll finish it off... afaik Platinum games is overseas only, they have another thing for Japan don't they? THE BEST or something like that.

Typestatic
Dec 9, 2010, 09:40 AM
I had headaches putting the FF13 disc back in after two hours of play ._.
Traded it in for MonHan Tri at release though, profit!

Bask
Dec 9, 2010, 09:51 AM
The first paragraph on that page:

The long-awaited Final Fantasy XIII took the top "Platinum Prize" at this year's PlayStation Awards, a ceremony that celebrates the best-selling games in Japan on all PlayStation platforms (according to Dengeki Online). The RPG was released last December in Japan, after the cut-off date for the 2009 awards had passed.

So yea, definitely JP sales.

Unsurprisingly, all the comments made there are only about FFXIII...
The fact that PSPo2 didn't appear a second time, on the User's Choice Awards, also tells me that we only won out in terms of sales...

Wayu
Dec 9, 2010, 09:52 AM
Why does everyone dislike FFXIII so much?

If it's outside of Japan, I'm surprised at how well PSPo2 did.

Edit: Nevermind. Posted at the same time Bask did.

-Wayu

Altoh
Dec 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
Why does everyone dislike FFXIII so much?

If it's outside of Japan, I'm surprised at how well PSPo2 did.

Edit: Nevermind. Posted at the same time Bask did.

-Wayu

Reason they don't like 13 is because it is "to linear" which makes no sense to me seeing as people used to complain that you couldn't find out where to go before hand. In my opinion the story was a bit cheesy, but it did its job so I liked the game. And I'm shocked PSPo2 got a gold, would have expected fable or some thing along those lines to get it.

Blizz3112
Dec 9, 2010, 11:01 AM
So, it's still not saying anything about the non-japanese market... that's too bad...

Checkmate
Dec 9, 2010, 11:48 PM
I had headaches putting the FF13 disc back in after two hours of play ._.
Traded it in for MonHan Tri at release though, profit!

Monster Hunter Tri was a solid game.. as well as MHF2: Unite.. surprised it didnt take the honors of top title according to it's massive overseas fanbase. No greater satisfaction than taking down monstrous dragons on an epic scale then carving their bodies to enhance your armor/weapons.

*sigh* Can't wait for MH on Xbox 360 and the new MHF3 on PSP^^;

RenzokukenZ
Dec 10, 2010, 12:20 AM
Everyone I know that bought FF13 was purely due to fanboyism...

Myself included, and I disliked it with a passion.

Disregard this if you care naught for a fanboy's rants.

The problem for me wasn't that it was too linear or the characters sucked. FFX was the same way, but the key difference that ticked me off was how we were introduced to the world of FFXIII, with the characters talking about certain plot elements in a way that it suspected we already knew what was going on without so much as an explanation. This made me confused as to what was going on throughout most of the gameplay. Then there's the bosses, who were either incredibly hard or incredibly easy, depending on how you approach. There's no in-between. As for the characters, it was nice that we get to learn each character's backstory while not giving away too much info, the fact that once some fighting is done they would get together and start drama, then some more fights, then more drama, and so on. With the exception of Sazh, who was done perfectly right despite being the comic relief/semi-discriminated character. I would say more about the battle system and other stuff, but that's enough ranting from me on this. All in all, to me, it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game.

I'm happy though that PSP2 managed to get gold. This just means that for Phantasy Star, its going the right direction, which is uphill.