PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Techs, techs, techs...

venn2010
Dec 14, 2010, 12:51 AM
I really wish Sega revamped the tech system when they implemented the chain system. The differences among different elements within same category (i.e. not all Ra-techs behave the same for every element) is truly baffling me.

I don't mind the tech's deficiency in chaining ability. And this topic isn't about that... I know I can just switch to quicker non-tech weapons if I want to go for high chain. I mainly stick with low chain with techs offline, and just stick to chain building most of time online.

I decided to use Ra- and Gi- tech for square button, for spamming & minor chain building, and basic techs for triangle... until I noticed that Barta & Zonde suck as chain breakers and Gifoie is more of an emergency escape tool.

Having techs of different elements behaving differently might have been okay for variety's sake before there was the chain system. But they really should have streamlined all the techs in PSP2, so no element is at disadvantage for chaining.

Am I wrong for thinking like this? I just wanted to have uniform, streamlined palettes for all elements...

P.S. I know many people say Nos- this & Nos- that, but I really hate Nos-techs (and Dam too, for that matter). It's too slow for my taste, and I never liked such "channeling spells" for my mages since they leave you completely open while you're busy flailing your staff like an idiot.

terrell707
Dec 14, 2010, 01:12 AM
I kind of agree. Gifoie bothers me the most. I use to always use that technic on PSU but in this game, i rarely use it, unless i need to get smaller enemies away from me or i need to knock bigger enemies over. When it comes down to it though, i usually just change up my strategy to whatever element im dealing with.

TheToyDolls
Dec 14, 2010, 01:18 AM
Hm. I'm not sure how they would steam-line all Technics to be chain-builders, but they could improve on the less-desirable Technics. And by less-desirable I mean the absolute crap Technics that I would never see myself seriously using. Grants, Damfoie/barta/diga/megid, Megiverse. And other not-so-crappy ones like Rabarta/zonde and their horrendous cast times.

Shakuri
Dec 14, 2010, 01:49 AM
Well, this is why I say the chain system sucks.

Strauss
Dec 14, 2010, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't go too far in saying chaining sucks, but rather that it's preferential towards melee/ranged users. Perhaps SEGA will revise some of the technics in Infinity in addition to the six new ones being introduced.

terrell707
Dec 14, 2010, 02:23 AM
The chain system and PP gauge was made to prevent melee users from spamming PAs all the time. So the chaining system helps to prevent that. However Forces got the bad end of the stick because it seems like that Sega put no thought into making sure the chaining system works for every class. In all honesty, i think rangers just got lucky when they became one of the better classes to build chains and break chains with.

Shakuri
Dec 14, 2010, 02:39 AM
Chaining just has you spam Square instead of Triangle, until you can spam Triangle and kill things. So instead of making things more challenging or more of a team effort, they just made things more tedious (especially considering the horrendous lag online, which makes the game honestly more suitable for soloing). There are a few things I like about the chain system though, its always fun killing bosses in one or two PA's.

funkyskunk
Dec 14, 2010, 10:00 AM
Spamming buttons should be a thing of the past now. We have timed attacks back which add about 20% damage to your attacks. You are seriously telling me you just spam square button?

I'd bring back PSO timed attacks if I could, there was more skill involved those days what with stun locking enemies if you got the timing right :)

Blizz3112
Dec 14, 2010, 10:23 AM
They should indeed make it so that standard techniques have great casting speed, and the stronger ones slower, but for this case, they should increase the damage such techniques would deal (in addition to damage by a chain). The Ra Techniques deal so little damage on their own, that people rather use only the ones fast enough to have effect on enemies through chains...

Shakuri
Dec 14, 2010, 02:49 PM
Spamming buttons should be a thing of the past now. We have timed attacks back which add about 20% damage to your attacks. You are seriously telling me you just spam square button?

No, I spam the square button (Twin Handguns) so I can kill bosses and everything else in one or two PA's. Are you seriously telling me you use perfect normal attacks to kill things? Minuscule damage and a waste of time.

The only thing perfect normal attacks are good for is regaining PP, and maybe killing something that has about 400 HP left and isn't worth chaining to kill (Spears).

Now if you're talking about Perfect Attack PA's, uhhh, who doesn't use those?...Aside from those with a brain deficiency.

Pavichokche
Dec 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
Now if you're talking about Perfect Attack PA's, uhhh, who doesn't use those?...Aside from those with a brain deficiency.

Oh my, it looks like I'm a retard... do perfect PAs make that much of a difference?

Anyway, I find techs in this game a little slow. Also, I would like it if more of them did area damage (if they do, make it bigger. And they definitely need to balance out the PP issues that forces have, it's stupid to be running out of PP after casting buffs and killing one enemy.

Shakuri
Dec 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
Oh my, it looks like I'm a retard... do perfect PAs make that much of a difference?

Anyway, I find techs in this game a little slow. Also, I would like it if more of them did area damage (if they do, make it bigger. And they definitely need to balance out the PP issues that forces have, it's stupid to be running out of PP after casting buffs and killing one enemy.

It makes all hits of a PA critical, and with a PA that hits a lot of boxes and a lot of times the difference in DPS can be staggering. Also makes it a lot easier to kill enemies at lower chains. The timing for all of the useful PA's are easy too, so its worth learning how to do it.

I do agree that the (Gi/Ra)techs need a range boost, or a Spread unit that doesn't gimp stats (Lumira/Spread).

Rashiid
Dec 14, 2010, 04:40 PM
Only time I don't Perfect PA is if I know the chain is about to wear off so I'll try to quickly get the next move off.
As for casting speed, I don't know why they got rid of the ??? / Quick equipment from PSU. Making them take up ability slots was lame. I feel ST went out of their way to make Force suck.

vagabondkitten
Dec 14, 2010, 08:01 PM
Does anyone else think they should have added class modifers for PP? They could have given forces 100% boost at least, to make it easier on them, and maybe a decent boost for rangers, and a slight one for vanguards. Also, I really think they should either up the speed, or power of techs. Forces have the worst defense, horrible combo building, and their damage doesn't even make up for it by any means. About the only thing they're useful for is the high level buffs/debuffs. I'm really hoping PSP2i's new techs are somewhat more worthwhile, because I've always been a fan of forces, and it seems like they're never really that great. ^^;

Broken_L_button
Dec 14, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've always been a fan of forces, and it seems like they're never really that great. ^^;

It doesn't seem so. It IS so (except in PSZ, but even then...Celeb hunter -and sometimes Celeb ranger- weapons could still outdamage techs). The thing is, SEGA never viewed forces as the main damage dealing class, really. Notice how in most online PS games their class description is always something like "More frail than a newborn kitten, but have powerful support abilities to make up for it. Oh, and they have offensive techniques too."? They put more emphasis on the "support" part (too much for what it's worth at times) in the game mechanics as well. But, anyways, that's just how I see it.

Oh, and concerning how they handled technics in this game, yeah, you can't solely rely on them to destroy stuff, but give me some cheap weapon to chain things and I'll be fine. But, again, that's just my take on things.

EDIT: A class modifier for PP seems like a good idea. But only for force really; hunters, rangers and vanguards don't really need more PP...Unless they're beasts, but the lower PP is supposed to be trait of this race anyways.

Rashiid
Dec 14, 2010, 08:22 PM
That's what I did like about PSU - there were full-blown attack Forces, mixed Forces, and pure-support Forces.