PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy RAM/HDD in Europe?

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
My boy is over in the UK and wanting to get some Ram & a new SSD drive for his laptop. Where are safe online shops to deal with? I know about Newegg here in the US, CircuitCity, TigerDirect, BestBuy and a few others. I don't do with anyone but who i know.

On that note, if I bought it for him & slipped it over the Atlantic you think customs would seize it and make him pay VAT? Their cost on things seems to be 3x higher than what we pay. Taxes are INSANE in Europe. I heard Canada is a little higher than U.S.

Volcompat321
Dec 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
I don't know if they'd charge you extra or whatnot... but Walmart.com has some decent prices.

It wont be the best RAM, or HDD, but it'll work.

Ketchup345
Dec 14, 2010, 05:49 PM
From Tifa, who is in the UK, in a thread about computer building I made last month:

If you're from UK or EU use this website for parts:

overclockers.co.uk

or...

ebuyer.com

Neith
Dec 14, 2010, 07:31 PM
I've used a few:
dabs.com
overclockers.co.uk
novatech.co.uk

Novatech and dabs have very good service, returns were very simple and dealt with fast. I'd recommend them more than overclockers, though that still is a decent site. I've had friends who ran into issues with them though, so i tend to stick to dabs/novatech.

I'm not certain they do laptop components, but you could give them a try.

Blitzkommando
Dec 14, 2010, 09:22 PM
A word of warning about Overclockers. They've recently been found selling returned hard drives as new. Some even had been formatted and had data on them that they then resold as new drives. Here's a rather lengthy thread (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3788407) on it. They tend to garner a lot of complaints. That said, the forum I've linked to is based in the Netherlands and has a lot of UK members. They could probably help you more than here on this particular subject.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Dec 15, 2010, 06:22 AM
Ya I agree with Neith, overclockers is one to recommend. Delivery is supoer fast and they're quite well priced. Also ebuyer.co.uk aand microdirect.co.uk

Tifa

Aka
Dec 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
scan.co.uk is one I'd highly recommend. Massive inventory and lightning fast service.
aria.co.uk is also another one with very good service.

I've never tried overclockers but I do know they have very up to date products.

As for ebuyer, I wouldn't recommend them unless they have something you specifically want that the other suppliers don't have. I've always experienced dead slow delivery and service with them.