PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that corruption influences cheating?

polishedweasel
Mar 11, 2003, 03:53 PM
What do you think. I was talking to a legit former legit last night. He was accepting dupes. I have a lot of respect for him cuz we played through some tough games. He was always there for that useful Anit/Resta/Moon Atomizer. It's just dissapointing that he went down that much too traveled road.... Oh well. Sorry, didn't mean to get all dramatic!

TeamPhalanx
Mar 11, 2003, 07:44 PM
No. The legits that I know have some reason behind behing legit - Whether it be because of the challenge, honesty, honor, etc.

I lost a character back in the v2 days, and I never even considered changing my style/beliefs.

I'd question why your friend was legit in the first place.

Aldark
Mar 11, 2003, 09:37 PM
Phalanx is definitly right about this. Most people I know that have a file deleted or what not usually just hate it even more.

polishedweasel
Mar 12, 2003, 10:03 AM
Noooo I've gone against my own code of honor!!!! I coulcn't help it. MAN I SUCK!! I traded 20 Pdrops for a DOUBLE CANON last night. During the trade he said "BTW this is duped" I was like OMG what the hell!!! But I traded anyway. I'm mad at myself. But I don't want to get rid of the Double canon. OI!!! Temptation is the Devil!!!!

Wewt
Mar 12, 2003, 05:36 PM
On 2003-03-12 07:03, polishedweasel wrote:
Temptation is the Devil!!!!

No. People are just weak.

Ranger_Larry
Mar 17, 2003, 05:50 PM
It is not weak versus strong. It is not good vs. evil. It is mostly about how a person views the importance of a VIDEO GAME that determines whether they cheat or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ranger_Larry on 2003-03-17 15:05 ]</font>

TeamPhalanx
Mar 17, 2003, 06:43 PM
Actually, it is.

If you chaeat on... say... another game, such as GTA:VC it doesn't matter what you do. Becuase it only effects you.

Online games are a different matter because it affects others. In the case of PSO, cheating has had consequences that goes beyond just the game itself.

Shin_Anubis
Mar 18, 2003, 11:35 AM
My take on this because something REALLY happened to me pretty shibby yesterday. Yesterday I got FSODed!!! All the items on me were LEGIT. I lost a BKB that I made with a BB Stone. It had a 20% hit mod on it, something I haven't seen in trades yet. I lost my Madams Umbrella, an LK14 Combat with good %'s and a lvl 96 mag that I fed nothing but Star Atomizers and a level 116 Sato Power mag I was making for a new character.

This is the 3rd time that I have been FSODed. It is really frustrating and for this I went out and ordered a USB memory card. Call me a cheater or whatever you want to, I am definitely going to make back up file of all my sweet items. Hell, I don't even think your gonna see me online anymore. I understand why people get peeved at this game. You spend hours upon hours playing and your items get wiped because of FSOD or Corruption.

I can also relate with people complaining about dupes. I seen one person with GULD-MILLA the other day. Now it seems everyone has one. WTF? You can't tell me that everyone all of a sudden started finding Handgun Guld...LOL. And it is really funny when you enter a game to trade and a person has one and wants your whole bank for it. LOL again...I say fug it anyways, I made a Whitill RAcast for the purpose of finding the shib myself. I'm done with trading and probably done with online.

BTW- If they can get rid of corruption and FSOD, I'm all for them doing the serial# thing that Team Phalanx suggested in another thread. It would make the whole online experience more enjoyable.

G-Unit
Mar 19, 2003, 12:00 PM
What's the question?

Wewt
Mar 19, 2003, 01:31 PM
Basically, if the game fucks your character data up to a state that the character is no longer useful, do you think things like that would make a person want to cheat to get their things back?

Yosho
Mar 20, 2003, 07:16 PM
I'd cheat to get my lvl and weps back if I could http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kupi
Mar 20, 2003, 08:45 PM
I can certainly see how someone could possibly say, "to heck with relevelling, I want my stuff back," if they got corrupted and lost everything. Some people people just don't react well to the infuriation caused by losing all their work at random, but they still want to play the game and have their former glory back immediately. Thus, they go and get some duped weapons/items. It's a possibility, and I'm sure it's happened somewhere.

Firocket1690
Mar 20, 2003, 10:51 PM
OK .... this is my first post in a while ....

but I remember bac in the dayz (v2) wen I would always kill hours upon hours trying to lvl ^ and collect stuff ... but seiousely i think this whole cheating/dupe is just sad, I mean I recently got FSODed and it was worse than ever .... it erased my WHOLE mem card (even non-PSO data). NEwayz ... I go around hoping to get a stag and just that...(first & fav rare) I come across a lvl 13 HUcast that offers lvl 200 Sato, Stag, 99x PD, Dbl Cann, and a SHlTLOAD of other things for all my meseta (after I got FSODed) OBVIOUSELY he was holding a load of pure dupes ...

Zeebo
Mar 20, 2003, 11:00 PM
How ever said accepting dupes is not cheating is incorrect! You still have the "hacked or cheated" item so techniquly your helping to spread the problem!

Balthor
Mar 21, 2003, 06:37 AM
Loathe, loathe, loathe. . .

Wewt
Mar 21, 2003, 09:14 AM
On 2003-03-20 20:00, Zeebo wrote:
How ever said accepting dupes is not cheating is incorrect! You still have the "hacked or cheated" item so techniquly your helping to spread the problem!

You're only spreading the problem if you pass those items onto others.

hucasts_rock
Mar 21, 2003, 02:11 PM
On 2003-03-21 06:14, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

On 2003-03-20 20:00, Zeebo wrote:

but what if those others know how to dupe and spread it to 10 people...then those 10 people might know how to dupe and spread it to even more...so on and so forth...until it becomes incontrollable...

Wewt
Mar 21, 2003, 02:46 PM
On 2003-03-21 11:11, hucasts_rock wrote:

On 2003-03-21 06:14, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

but what if those others know how to dupe and spread it to 10 people...then those 10 people might know how to dupe and spread it to even more...so on and so forth...until it becomes incontrollable...

Congratulations for being master of the obvious, and for agreeing with me about passing out cheated items is contributing to the problem. Now, using cheated items is a little different. You're not directly contributing to the problem, however, you are accepting items from somebody that is spreading the problem, therefore you are supporting cheating.

Ranger_Larry
Mar 23, 2003, 08:20 AM
The beggers are as bad as the dupers. You see.... Say a duper has a J-sword. He has both a hunter and a force. Some hunter that could use the J-sword, but also has a smoking plate (he does not have a force so this is no value to him, nor can he dupe) asks the duper for a trade. The duper is like...cool...a smoking plate! The trade is done. Now the duper has both items, while the begger has his prized sword. The beggers don't care 90% of the time if it is a dupe. Remember someone had to give/trade the items to the duper in the first place or he would have little incentive to dupe!

As far as causing problems with the game that depends on the duper and how he dupes, as well as how/if any items he gives out/trades. A selfish duper is actually doing little harm ^_^

Cheating in a video game doesn't translate into real life people. Show me a study that proves it instead of throwing opinions around....show me the facts. If I were crooked in real life I am sure by know I could have taken advantage of some certain situations and sued for large amounts of money, but I am more honorable than that. I am a model employee at my job, and have never committed a crime. I get along well with people no matter where I go, with all types of people, save peeps that I deem unsavory. (real criminals and people that are just plain $#$#!!)

Sheik1
Mar 28, 2003, 04:24 AM
I have to admit that I back up my character's items regularaly and I did get FSOD one day...lost a few wep I had on me...that is the day I got FSOD in the Mines2 VHard online Altair 05.

I used my backup to restore my items...after all...they are not duped because the other item data was lost due to the FSOD and the only one that exists is the backup...I just transfered it back to my character.

If I trade an item that I backed up then I simply delete it off the backup...simple as that. As long as there is only one unique existance of an item it is unique and not duped. I do not mention this to anyone because I could easily be accused of duping stuff and giving away stuff too!!!

Yes, the method that I use COULD possibly be used to DUPE items...but it is the only way I feel safe from FSOD. I will not say how I am doing it...as it could be used in a bad way...but it is possible to backup your items in case of FSOD.

Now I only wish I could backup my actual character data files with the EXP and levels in them. That I can not do yet. Just hope I never get FSODx.