PDA

View Full Version : Battle Mage?

cow_vinh
Dec 28, 2010, 09:26 PM
I was hearing about a FOmar being able to become a battle mage and Im totally down for making this kind of character, but I got no idea what to do with it.

Can someone tell me how to raise this character? what mag, mats and weps should I use with it?

leviayurashyguy
Dec 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
you need daggers, mech guns, and high levels of buff and debuff magic.

FOmarl is a viable alternative with higher ATA and Resta heals for lower ATP

cow_vinh
Dec 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
and whats the advantage to battle FOmars?
what kind of mags/mats should I give the battle FOmar?

edit* like I always thought about battle FOmars using slicers.
Another question. Does a battle mage use ATP or MST?

leviayurashyguy
Dec 28, 2010, 11:11 PM
Advantages: You become less dependent on -fluids you have more space on the palette for buffs/debuffs you play differently from the conventional FO

mags should have predominately HIT and mats should be predominately Power.

"Battle Mages" have the option of using HU/RA weapons along with the perks of being a FO. Since HU/RA weapons rely on ATP for damage calculation, "Battle Mages" in turn focus on ATP to increase damage dealt. Slicer builds are generally the same as the conventional FO build except with greater emphasis on ATA

cow_vinh
Dec 28, 2010, 11:21 PM
and how should I be fighting?
with the normal attack? PA? tech?

edit* Would it be the wrong idea to have my mag go atp too?

leviayurashyguy
Dec 28, 2010, 11:30 PM
you would focus on physical attacks. the above mentioned weapons (dagger and mech guns) tend to do better with normal attacks, but weapons such as saber, shield, bazooka, and handgun tend to do better with PA's

ATP mag is generally a bad idea since FO Final ATA is abyssal and a moderate amount of ATA is needed in higher difficulties of play.

cow_vinh
Dec 28, 2010, 11:33 PM
so how should I go with the mag?
pure ata?
50/50 atp/ata?

edit* sry for all the questions. Its just that im so fascinated by the idea of a battle mage. so with all the buffs and debuffs activated, would u say that this battle mage out powers a normally trained Hunter?

what should the palette look like?
will i be using my strong attack often or will I only use my normal attack?

leviayurashyguy
Dec 29, 2010, 12:14 AM
pure ata is generally fine but it all depends on how much ATA you THINK you need and what weapon you which to use. its not detrimental to carry a variety of mags just as you should carry a variety of weapons.

in terms of damage potential, nothing in the game outclasses HUCAST. "Battle Mage" is weaker than most HU and on par if not weaker than most RA. your overall damage output will pale in comparison to your conventional FO counterpart.

all that considered, it is a gimmick build. it breaks the monotony of gameplay by playing the class differently. its about how you want to play the game.

for a palette, it's dependent on your playstyle. do you use Evasion? do you use Resta or -mates? do you use Anti? what spells are your priority? do you use Normal or Heavy attack or both? i do recommend that you have an attack, heal, and at least one buff.

which attack to use depends on your ATA. Heavy attack is stronger but is less accurate so starting combos with it may be a bad idea if you aren't guaranteed a hit. Normal attacks are weaker but they guarantee the hit. using both is a preferred but if your palette is tight on space, pick one that suits your style; big damage or slow but steady.

Shadownami92
Dec 29, 2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, personally what I do is I'll have 2 mags and 2 weapon/equipment sets that I carry around. So I can switch from being a battle mage to a caster mage when I need to.

Battle mages are fun when you want to get up close and be less relient on fluids, I did the same thing in PSO but for some reason I found that in PSO I was going battle mage more because I was too poor for fluids.

But yeah normally I prefer to have the ability to switch between the 2 so I can go back to casting for going against bosses (since there are spells that do decent damage and can hit multiple parts of the boss).

cow_vinh
Dec 29, 2010, 12:56 AM
I was kinda thinking of scrapping the making of a new FOmar battlemage idea and continuing on with my FOnewm which is lvl 70 now. I cant make a battlemage since i already maxed out my mats with MST, but I think I can fight physically if i use a wand or slicer. im in the making of a new mag. what do u guys think about that?

leviayurashyguy
Dec 29, 2010, 01:25 AM
Reset materials do exist. use one to redo your mat usage, as many times if you wish.

you can also apply the same concept to FOnewm/earl. just note they lack ATP, ATA and a ranged weapon pool; not to mention FOnewn Resta is horrendous, even with a rod.

Clavat99
Jan 4, 2011, 03:22 PM
If you are going to do a FO newman...dont bother with anything other than MTP. any other FO is fine to combine with ATP and crap.

(Yay my 100th post \,,,/ :D \,,,/ )