PDA

View Full Version : Know any good RPGs(or any game) on PSN?

Reksanden
Jan 2, 2011, 02:27 AM
Besides Final Fantasy, because those are obvious, what good RPG, Shooter, Online(not PSP2. Tried it, didn't care about it too much), or basically any good game you guys can find or think of on PSN. I need some more downloaded games on my PSP, so I won't be as bored in the mornings in my off-period in school.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jan 2, 2011, 02:33 AM
Grandia was the shit back in the day.

Rashiid
Jan 2, 2011, 03:27 AM
Valkyria Chronicles II should still be up there for about $15 until tomorrow when the sale ends. Of course that's recent as well so it'll be back to $39.99 Jan 4th. I'm enjoying it so far. Still keep using the Right Trigger to try to shoot people since the first Valkyria Chronicles was on Ps3 and used that instead.

It's an SRPG.

darkante
Jan 2, 2011, 05:35 AM
I donīt know if Chrono Cross exist on PSN, but if it is.
That is one epic rpg.

Blue-Hawk
Jan 2, 2011, 12:01 PM
Alundra. That should say it all.

darkante
Jan 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, Alundra is also great. ^^

Reksanden
Jan 2, 2011, 05:03 PM
I played the demo for Valkyria Chronicles II. It was really good, but it's price deterred me from getting it. However, if it's 15 dollars at the moment that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I know MGS Peace Walker is a UMD, but isn't it good as well? I've played MGS and MGS2, so it seems like it would be...

DoubleJG
Jan 2, 2011, 06:37 PM
If I remember correctly, Patapon 2 is $7.99.

Very enjoyable game. Try the demo before buying it, though.

Tetsaru
Jan 2, 2011, 07:02 PM
LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers were fun PS3 games imo, but I'm not sure how their PSP counterparts are in comparison, or if they're even available for download. It's been a while since browsed the PSN store ever since my PS3 started acting up on me, and I don't have a PSP... :(

If you have a PS3 as well, DeathSpank and DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue were fun, although rather short and a bit easy, save for a few of the bosses. They were $15 each when I got them.

Rashiid
Jan 2, 2011, 07:51 PM
I don't recommend LBP for PSP. It can't even go online, which is just about the entire game =/

ModNation Racers has been reported as extremely buggy for PSP.

Xefi
Jan 2, 2011, 07:56 PM
Alundra & Suikoden. :cake:

leviayurashyguy
Jan 7, 2011, 01:46 AM
nobody remembers Wild Arms? of course no one does, it was completely outshined by FF7. it had a western feel that set it apart from RPG's at the time. =|

darkante
Jan 7, 2011, 09:19 AM
Obviously, most things are.
I will probably add that on my 1000 things to do list. XD

Outrider
Jan 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
nobody remembers Wild Arms? of course no one does, it was completely outshined by FF7. it had a western feel that set it apart from RPG's at the time. =|

The first Wild Arms was a good game with a neat setting and a relatively fun storyline. I never played through it all the way, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Beyond that, I only ever played the second one, which I enjoyed more in every way except for the setting.

Can't vouch for the rest of the series, but it definitely had its own niche for a while.

Akaimizu
Jan 7, 2011, 12:14 PM
I was always a big fan of Grandia. However, I'm not sure how the PS version turned out. I mainly played the first one on Saturn JPN, and it was good stuff. At the time, it was like a full-blown RPG world from a mind like Miyazaki. Alas, the PS port was less than stellar, but I'm kind of hoping that it's rectified some by how it's running on better hardware. PS3/PSP, that is.

Crazyleo
Jan 7, 2011, 05:29 PM
One game I've bought on the PSN that I have enjoyed was Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. The main game in this collection is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, which was originally released in Japan on the PC-Engine Turbo CD 2. It was not released here until they remade it with up to date graphics.

Plus you can unlock Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the original version of Rondo of Blood.

If you liked the original Castlevania game play, then you'll love this title.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
i just remember some great old school RPGs on the PSX: Legend of Dragoon and Legend of Legaia

Dragoon I hail as the best RPG on the PSX, but we can argue that later. it has turn base combat with a twist, instead of selecting attack or picking special techniques, your normal attack is a series of timed button presses that allow you to do combo attacks called "Additions". the game has great story and graphics on par for its time. every character has a unique transformation called "Dragoon". you can stay in Dragoon for a limited amount of turns but in those turns, you have a massive boost to stats and also spells and attacks exclusive to these forms.

Legaia is also great. you play as 3 heroes that set out to rid the world of this mist that makes these parasites "Seru" go berserk; with the help of your "good" Seru, "Ra-Seru". Battle system is based around "Arts" in that attacks are broken down into button combination that can be mixed and match for unique combos and special attacks, sorta like a fighting game. spells can be acquired by defeating specific monsters in the game and summoning those creatures in battle.

Outrider
Jan 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
Man, Legaia was such a busted, unbalanced game.

And I loved it.

Never played more than a demo for Legend of Dragoon, but my understanding is it was a pretty decent FFVII/FFVIII clone.

Kurono
Jan 16, 2011, 02:57 PM
Never played more than a demo for Legend of Dragoon, but my understanding is it was a pretty decent FFVII/FFVIII clone.

It was. Played when it came out mostly when I was unwell and couldn't sleep, remember it looking decent graphically and having a fun battle system. Had no complaints what so ever about the game. In some ways I had just as much fun playing it than I did playing FF7 or FF8.

I don't remember this game ever being hyped, even years after its release. Seemed games like FF and Kingdom Hearts had everyones attention.

Ithildin
Jan 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
If you're talking about the classic JRPG then Star Ocean, Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX, Breath of Fire III...

I prefer action RPGs like Monster Hunter and PSportable tho.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 17, 2011, 12:23 AM
sadly, FF overshadow many RPG's of its time. i guess Square was the Dragon Ball Z of that era. Shadow Madness bombed, but everyone knows about it. not everyone knows about Wild Arms <.<

venn2010
Jan 17, 2011, 12:27 AM
I wish they had Saga Frontier on PSN. I know Saga series isn't very popular, but I was part of niche group of people who actually liked it. Back in the days of PS1, my sister & I played this game to death. Yes, even more than FF7.

Good thing PS3 has backward compatibility for PS1 games, cause I still has the original disk.

Vanzazikon
Jan 17, 2011, 12:48 AM
EDIT: I know MGS Peace Walker is a UMD, but isn't it good as well? I've played MGS and MGS2, so it seems like it would be...I'd say, if you haven't played MGS3, you probably wouldn't like MGS Peace Walker. Unless you have someone else who has the game, the story is pretty much the only reason you would play Peace Walker and without knowing what happened in MGS3, you'd most likely feel lost.

Though it's quite random that you ask for RPGs but mentioned MGS.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 17, 2011, 01:05 AM
Though it's quite random that you ask for RPGs but mentioned MGS.
Well so many cutscenes, its similar to them Final Fatansyuhuuhscan't skip!

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Jan 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
This game, Lord of Arcana looks pretty good. It's like a mix of Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Portable. Played the demo and thought it was pretty fun.

Weeaboolits
Jan 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
I heard they plan on porting Threads of Fate on PSN at some point.

Tyreek
Jan 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
Alundra. That should say it all.

I agree with Blue-Hawk wholeheartedly. If you want a Playstation classic, Alundra is a game for you. Really nice story. Zelda esque classic action. Beautiful music and graphics. And quite lengthy. You'll be immersed into that game.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Jan 19, 2011, 10:54 PM

Did someone say...Threads of Fate/Dewprism? That game was hella fun. One of Square's early gems that went under the radar.

Broken_L_button
Jan 19, 2011, 11:48 PM
Well, I'd suggest these 2 S-RPGs: Knights in the Nightmare and Yggdra Union.

Knights is a port of the DS version of the game. It's basically a mixture of bullet hell and S-RPG. Overall, I'm enjoying it just as much as its DS counterpart, but it seems the fact that the battle system hard to grasp at first and the narration forces you to collect the clues from each character's recollections and piece the whole story back yourself might be a hit or miss for most people. The artwork and music are very nice too; especially that little piano solo in the title screen.

Yggdra Union uses a "card" system for its gameplay. No, it's not a TCG; each turn, you choose a card that will dictate which special power you can use and how far you can move in one turn. Apart from that, like every other S-RPG, you place your units, move them in formation and beat the enemy's pathetic behind. Though, there's also another twist: the union system. Even if your units are spread throughout the battlefield, if they are in certain formations, they can join forces to attack the enemy together, making the strategy aspect that much deeper. Again, another hit or miss because of the twists. Also, despite it's cute looks, the game is tough (easier than the original GBA version on normal mode, yet still capable of offering a decent challenge).

I'm not sure if the PSP port of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is on the PSN, but that, and the other games in the Disgaea series, is worth a shot. They have less twists and are less brutal than KitN and YU, and you can enjoy being a totally OP demon lord in Disgaea. Seriously, who doesn't want to be level 9999?

leviayurashyguy
Jan 20, 2011, 01:43 AM

I very much enjoyed Threads of Fate. i almost forgot it was on the PSX. definitely one of my favorites. it was a Platform-esque RPG that allowed you to play as one of two characters: Rue, a male with an Axe-key thing, he can transform into creatures, Mint a female with circle katar-dagger things, she can cast magic. they both had great stories: one was comical and the other was romantic

but what did Mint call the car? i forget, PINTAS?

Oh gosh, you sent me down another nostalgia trek. hears a track from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m4Okw31HF0&feature=BF&list=PLABDE1E288FC85796&index=19