PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 - psu newbie help!?

everson84
Jan 17, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hey there PSO world people!

So I got an xbox 360 for christmas, and it struck me the other day that there were phantasy star games on the xbox. In the past I've amassed several hundred hours of play time on the dreamcast version and the gamecube v2 PSO.

I was dissapointed to find that the xbox360 is not backwards compatible with the xbox version of the game that I'm familiar with, but ordered a copy of PSU. If amazon don't deliver this by tomorrow (my day off) I'm pretty much gunna download it anyway and hope the wife doesnt find out I've bought it twice :P

Anyway, back to the point. I've been looking at a few forums and guides but PSU seems to be a lot different to episodes 1+2, particularly the different character classes, and I have a few questions that hopefully one of you learned players can clear up for me.

First and foremost, I've played a lot of hunter/caster characters so I'm keen to start a ranger on PSU. I'm not sure if the factions are similar to older versions of the game, where depending on your name you were assigned a faction (skyly, redria etc) and the items that dropped were dependent on this. Is this also the case for PSU? If so, could anyone recommend a particular faction for decent ranger drops? I'm happy to put in the work for items, but not the absurd amount of time required for items like the sealed j-sword in older versions.

Next, if I understand correctly then only the online version of the game features character creation and the aspects of the older games that I loved. If this is the case, how do I go about setting a subscription up with sega to play online? Can I do that through my xbox or do I need to phone someone at sega up?

Finally, I've heard some pretty negative things about playing with people online, with regards to stealing drops and kicking people from groups just before a boss goes down. I'm not sure if this is the case, but is it possible to play online but solo, or do you really need a group to get through the missions? I don't have any mates with the xbox version of PSU so I'd be stuck with pugging if solo isn't an option.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your comments,

:)

Freeze
Jan 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
PSU is quite a bit different from PSO. First off your character name is just that and does not effect the game in any way. There are no section ID's like PSO and drops are determined by the missions you play. Be prepared for that as well. The only way to hunt monsters is to run missions, there is no way to go to a planet and just free run hunting items like PSO did. PSU using a job system instead of character classes so you can change from ranger to hunter to force any time you like. Offline has the story mode where you're stuck playing as Ethan Waber. Part way through the story you can unlock free mode where you can create your own character and run the same free missions as Ethan but nothing you do in offline crosses over to online, it's completely separate. Online subscription can be done through Xbox live and only XBL silver is required for PSU incase you don't want to pay for Gold.

There are some people who do steal items and boot from missions but that happens with every online game. Don't let it scare you away, it's not as bad as people make it sound. I've been playing since the game came out and have never encountered this. Yes it is possible to run most missions solo. If you want a hand getting started fell free to send me a friends request and there are plently of others here who are happy to help out new players.

everson84
Jan 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks a lot Freeze, very useful info.

Just a few more questions, if you don't mind. When you open up freeplay in offline mode is the game content the same as the online version? Are all the same weapons and missions available?

Looks like amazon won't get psu to me before the end of the week, so I'll be downloading this tonight. :)

FOkyasuta
Jan 17, 2011, 01:42 PM
Nope and nope.

everson84
Jan 17, 2011, 01:44 PM
thanks for the swift response, shame the offline version seems so limited.

FOkyasuta
Jan 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
No problem and Welcome to PSO-World. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Chunky McMunky
Jan 17, 2011, 02:39 PM
the class system on psu is alot different to pso, instead of the characters having their own individual classes, the race you choose can be any class you want (some classes and races have bonuses) the different races also have their own stats but you will see what each race is good at when ur making ur character. (casts are supposedly the best for rangers but i prefer beasts)

you say you want to be a ranger? if so then there are several that you can choose from
guntecher (guns/force)
fighgunner (fighter/force)
fortegunner (pure gunner)
gun master ( even purer gunner lol)
and then theres basic ranger

classes have requirements so for example to be a figh gunner you need level 5 hunter and level 3 ranger, but for gunmaster you need fortegunner level 10 and guntecher level 10

also if you ever need help i will be glad to do runs with you

JCGamer
Jan 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
Chunky You made a boo boo figthgunner are not ( figher/force ) and they dont cast magic XD lmao so really figthgunner they are ( fighter/guns )

Chunky McMunky
Jan 23, 2011, 07:51 PM
oops lol my bad :P ive probably just confused him so much >_<

but yeah fighgunners are hunter/gunner

Ranji
Jan 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
I just started up too, only about 33 right now, my GT is RoninGrey if you want to do some runs. also a quick offtopic, anyone know what the average transfer:parum goes for?

NiceOnes
Jan 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
I just started up too, only about 33 right now, my GT is RoninGrey if you want to do some runs. also a quick offtopic, anyone know what the average transfer:parum goes for?

Never seen one for sale but it is available from "The Collector" mission for a sunflower a beetle and an airboard. The beetle and airboard can be hard to come by.

In my opinion these transfer items are trivial. Focus on exp and your PA's first would be my advice.

Axicore
Feb 2, 2011, 10:08 PM
If anybody wants some help with a few runs, hit me up. My GamerTag is Axicore. I'm relly laid back and don't gank drops.