PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 21, 2011, 10:11 PM
I've been looking for a job for quite some time, and as well all know, it's difficult to get one. I've been wanting to get a job, the problem is, I want something that isn't fast food. I'd really like a desk job or some kind of customer service rep. This would be good money, and it'd be better than saying I work at McDonalds. Any suggestions on where I could go to find this kind of job?

Palle
Jan 21, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hm, I would see what's out there by searching careerbuilder or a similar site for the key phrase 'entry level'. Generally, the easiest entry level jobs to land are sales-related, but you'll generally end up with a manager who will ride your ass about the numbers you generate.

Another angle to consider is that you probably have a better chance of landing a job where you know someone on the inside. You can canvas your social circle to see if anyone's hiring, and have them drop your cover letter and/or resume with someone in HR.

Side note, it will help polish your interview technique. A good interview can give an unremarkable candidate a solid shot when they are outclassed by other applicants in terms of experience.

x Incubus Leo x
Jan 21, 2011, 10:37 PM
Try an Insurance company that doesn't outsource. . .

KodiaX987
Jan 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
See if there are recruitment services around you, like Randstad.

You tell them the sort of job you want, and whenever they find a spot they believe you might like, they call you up and ask if you're interested. Once you do get a job, you tell 'em and they stop calling. Best of all: it's completely free.

BIG OLAF
Jan 21, 2011, 11:31 PM
I've just been going around to stores that I know about and/or enjoy shopping at. Like you, Nitro, I do not want to work at a fast-food establishment. Some places I've gone to are Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, Publix (Southeastern grocery store chain. It's kind of like Safeway, I guess), and just little places like that.

Though, so far, no luck yet. I really don't want a job in the public sector, because I'm not comfortable around people/in public, but I don't have any more options at this point.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
where do you live? how old are you? how much do you want to get paid? what are your credentials? do you have experience? do you have any contacts?

my first suggestion would be to put a resume together. filling out applications is fine but most employers will probably never see your face so they don't really know WHO you are until the interview which most candidates never make it to. a resume will give them more background which will improve your chances of landing an interview.

exhaust you contacts. Again, employers don't know who you are or tell the public they are hiring. Having someone that can get your foot in the door is a big asset.

call them, don't wait for a call. your application (and ideally resume as well) are in a pile of maybe hundreds or thousand other applicants. you want to make yourself known, be persistent, show that you're really interested in the position of choice. Again, they don't know who you are

and to kill any misconceptions you may have, a job's a job. when you look at it that way, McDonalds isn't as bad as you think. it's not about the job, but how you make it. just because you work at McDonalds doesn't mean you're locked into it for three, four, five years. just because you work the register doesn't mean you can't move up and be a manager. you can meet a variety of people: customers and coworkers, all of whom can be valuable contacts and can offer great advice. your resume is important, some experience is better than none

Nitro Vordex
Jan 22, 2011, 01:43 AM
I wish the multiquote button worked.

Hm, I would see what's out there by searching careerbuilder or a similar site for the key phrase 'entry level'. Generally, the easiest entry level jobs to land are sales-related, but you'll generally end up with a manager who will ride your ass about the numbers you generate.

Another angle to consider is that you probably have a better chance of landing a job where you know someone on the inside. You can canvas your social circle to see if anyone's hiring, and have them drop your cover letter and/or resume with someone in HR.

Side note, it will help polish your interview technique. A good interview can give an unremarkable candidate a solid shot when they are outclassed by other applicants in terms of experience.
It seems like a lot of the entry level stuff I've seen usually have requirements in terms of experience, which kind of ruins my chances quite a bit. I've been told to apply to them anyway though, since I suppose they do training on the job anyway. Might be a good idea to ask some friends and family friends.

See if there are recruitment services around you, like Randstad.

You tell them the sort of job you want, and whenever they find a spot they believe you might like, they call you up and ask if you're interested. Once you do get a job, you tell 'em and they stop calling. Best of all: it's completely free. I've heard about places like that. Not entirely sure of where one would be in my area, but I did have the (unfortunate) chance to work with some of the people who apply at places like that. Hopefully I don't turn into those whiny people.

I've just been going around to stores that I know about and/or enjoy shopping at. Like you, Nitro, I do not want to work at a fast-food establishment. Some places I've gone to are Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, Publix (Southeastern grocery store chain. It's kind of like Safeway, I guess), and just little places like that.

Though, so far, no luck yet. I really don't want a job in the public sector, because I'm not comfortable around people/in public, but I don't have any more options at this point.
Yeah, don't bother with Gamestop. The jackass there asked me if I knew anything about the latest football game. Why the shit would I worry about that? I'm aware it makes money, but come on. There's way more money makers and high rated games out there than the latest Madden game. Plus game places out here tend to get robbed, so I think I'll stay away from that.

where do you live? how old are you? how much do you want to get paid? what are your credentials? do you have experience? do you have any contacts?

my first suggestion would be to put a resume together. filling out applications is fine but most employers will probably never see your face so they don't really know WHO you are until the interview which most candidates never make it to. a resume will give them more background which will improve your chances of landing an interview.

exhaust you contacts. Again, employers don't know who you are or tell the public they are hiring. Having someone that can get your foot in the door is a big asset.

call them, don't wait for a call. your application (and ideally resume as well) are in a pile of maybe hundreds or thousand other applicants. you want to make yourself known, be persistent, show that you're really interested in the position of choice. Again, they don't know who you are

and to kill any misconceptions you may have, a job's a job. when you look at it that way, McDonalds isn't as bad as you think. it's not about the job, but how you make it. just because you work at McDonalds doesn't mean you're locked into it for three, four, five years. just because you work the register doesn't mean you can't move up and be a manager. you can meet a variety of people: customers and coworkers, all of whom can be valuable contacts and can offer great advice. your resume is important, some experience is better than none
A resume is definitely something I need to work on. Unfortunately, I have very little professional experience, so anything else I put may just be skills. Though I'm pretty sure resumes are supposed to be about listing your skills anyway.

Also, I just don't like McDonalds in general. If I had to work at a fast food place it'd be Carl's Jr.(Hardee's for the easterners) or Taco Bell.

Outrider
Jan 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
Once you have a resume together, you might also want to consider looking at internships at larger corporations. Sometimes they have a pretty healthy stipend.

The interns my company had last year were making $15 an hour, which is way more than I got when I was an intern. In all fairness, they were college interns, but it's still worth keeping an eye out for something like that.

Palle
Jan 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
It seems like a lot of the entry level stuff I've seen usually have requirements in terms of experience, which kind of ruins my chances quite a bit. I've been told to apply to them anyway though, since I suppose they do training on the job anyway. Might be a good idea to ask some friends and family friends.
Yeah, definitely ask around, and let them know to contact you if they hear anything later.

Other options to consider:
Clerical work, though mind-numbingly easy, often requires no prior experience. It can be a first step to a better gig with the same company.
Depending on your ethnicity and locale, jobs with municipal/county/state/federal government agencies may have openings for which you may get preferential treatment based on EOE numbers.
If you're trying to stand out from other applicants, try to find a way to present your capabilities as they relate to the job in question. Good at finding bugs in games? Play up your attention to detail, persistence, and knack for finding the root of problems. Just an example. Another way might be to research the company ahead of time, see how they're doing, if they've recently made acquisitions, created a new division, etc. Letting them know you already have an intellectual investment in the company is a good way to capture an interviewer's attention. Plus they'll know that you do your homework.

DoubleJG
Jan 23, 2011, 01:13 AM
Pretty much what Outrider said regarding the resumé. With a good looking resumé, your chances of getting hired definitely better than when submitting a plain, run-of-the-mill application.