PDA

View Full Version : What made PSO special for you?

Arkios
Jan 25, 2011, 03:42 AM
I keep seeing all of these different topics about "Should PSO2 have this?", or "PSO2 better have fixed THIS!", etc.

How about if we flip it up a bit. Rather then looking at what PSO did *wrong* and we want fixed in PSO2. Instead lets see what made PSO special for you?

For me, the overall experience of the game was enjoyable. I started playing back on DC with the original. However, at the time I didn't understand the concept of "being legit" so I had duped/cheated items etc. Nonetheless, the game was a lot of fun... and MANY a hours went into playing it.

I quit for awhile and skipped v2 and didn't come back to the game until PSOGC. This is really where I had the most fun. To this day, I'd say PSOGC was the best game I have ever played. I'll explain why I say that:

1) The beginning of the game. PSO in itself was very simple to get into. You have a couple buttons to press, you have some enemies to kill. You press your couple buttons and stuff dies or you die. However, as you continue to play, you begin to learn how to properly time your attacks and when you to use weapons in different situations. As you progress you are able to begin developing your MAG, learning about the % of weapons, stats begin to make sense (mats, gear), etc. The game has a logical progression to it and is able to go from being extremely simple to actually having some decent depth to it.

2) Mags. Mags are by far one of the COOLEST features I have ever seen implemented into an RPG. You have a single piece of gear that you NEVER have to replace that grows with you based on how you want to level it. It changes at certain levels, gives you special abilities and learns different photon blasts. The sheer amount of MAGs was awesome and once you finished one you wanted to jump right into the next one so you could see something different. I've played a lot of different RPG/MMOs and as funny as it seems, this is still one of my favorite things in any game I've played. (Seriously, how many of you remember running MAG timers? I can remember plenty of times when I was doing something else, but every (3 1/2 minutes?) I'd pick up the controller and feed my mag.

3) Ability to solo/play in groups. I'm a long time WoW player now and the one thing that I truly hate about the game is the lack of legitimate soloable content. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, in WoW once you hit max level (85 now) there is essentially no good gear that you can get by playing by yourself. You either have to run 5-mans or raids, or if you like to PVP then you're BG grinding. The problem with this is that it completely eliminates any hopes of hopping onto the game for say 45 minutes and getting something done. (I literally spend 45 minutes just waiting to get into a group). In PSO you could play 100% by yourself if you wanted to and the only real disadvantage that you had was a smaller amount of mobs to kill in hopes of getting your rare.

At the same time, if you wanted to group, it was extremely easy to do that. You could hop into the lobby, see a list of active games and just hop in and start killing stuff. The best items in the game were not off bosses, so you were not compelled to stay to the end of the run, you could drop out at any time and not feel like you wasted your time. (Although you'd miss out on a good chunk of XP)

4) Leveling. I know, I know... you're thinking to yourself, "Leveling? Really dude?". Just hear me out for a second though. In most MODERN MMOs, the game essentially doesn't truly "begin" until you hit max level. The truly fun things to do and all the best gear can not be obtained or equipped until max level. What this does is turn leveling into a complete and utter pointless grind. It's not fun at any point and most people try to rush through it as fast as possible.

In PSO, there was really no *need* to get max level. It was cool and certainly a fun achievement, but you did not need to be max level to enjoy the game or the best items in the game. Once you reached "Ultimate" it where most people would say the game truly "begins". It's at that point that you can start finding the really good rares and equipped them. Weapons required a minimum stat and armor required a level. This concept made levels still relevant so you can equip the armor, but that sweet new weapon you got could be equipped almost immediately just by using a mag and shifting some of your slot items around. It was a really nice balance so that your sole purpose isn't to just grind out levels, but it also keeps your "hunts" enjoyable because you know you're always getting XP even if your rare doesn't drop.

5) Rares. This to most people is probably the single best part of the game. I don't think I can argue that point either. The sheer amount of rare items in the game is mind boggling. To add to that, the use of section IDs added some diversity to the runs (even though in the grand scheme of things you're still just killing the same old crap over and over again).

Every time I'd kill a group of mobs and see a red box on the ground, my heart would race a little bit. Everyone would do a mad scramble for the elusive red box just to see what it was. (Before drop charts this was even more exciting because you truly didn't know what you got until you tek'd it).

I could go on and on and on about the rares. Like I said before, this arguably was the best part of the game and definitely what made it so addicting.

6) Challenge Mode. Some of you may have not enjoyed Challenge mode, but I loved it. For two main reasons, which I'll explain in further detail.

a) It was actually challenging the first few times through. It allowed you take all of your knowledge of the game and put it to real use. Is this handgun better than this saber? Am I better off using a 2-hit combo or a 3? Should I hold off on using a monomate until I level, or should I use it now? The list goes on and on and on.

b) It allowed you to take a break from your rare hunting and obtain a guaranteed rare drop. For those of you that hunted items with drop rates of 1/1000+ you can appreciate what I'm talking about. It can get really disheartening killing the same thing 10,000 times and not getting your rare. So to be able to invest some time into Challenge mode and KNOW that you will get a good rare of your choice at the end was a nice perk.

c) For those that enjoyed C-Mode, you could spend untold amounts of time trying to better your overall times. I know players that didn't even really play the normal game, they invested most of their time in just playing C-Mode.

7) The community. This is a funny one, because prior to playing other games I really took this for granted. PSO truly had/has one of the best communities. People are generally helpful when asked for help. I can't even begin to count the amount of times that people would hop into a run and help me hunt a rare even though nothing in that level dropped anything of use for them.

People were/are also very nice in terms of allowing people to play their own way. For those of you again that haven't played WoW or any other MMO that requires a lot of group play, people become serious elitists. In PSO terms, unless you were running with nothing but Charge Mechs w/Hit and a Hell Laser w/Hit you would be scrutinized to the ends of the earth. So it's nice to be able to play with people that don't care if you pull out your old Soul Eater for giggles, or start rockin' your Sigh of a God. People played for fun and the content allowed that to a certain extent.

-----------------

I'm sure I can add much more, but it's late and I have work in the morning. So I'll leave it at that for now and hopefully see what others really enjoyed about PSO.

Wayu
Jan 25, 2011, 04:30 AM
I can't remember much about PSO other than having fun blowing up entire rooms with lv. 30 Rafoies and or trolling Ultimate Mines with Megid after Megid (still never beat Vol Opt v.2 solo with a FOnewearl, though).

But it was overall fun.

Yeah.

-Wayu

Mike
Jan 25, 2011, 07:58 AM
3) Ability to solo/play in groups.
I remember doors you couldn't pass in the Caves and Ruins unless you had at least two people online. Soloing was only really doable offline. Speaking of offline, the fact that your character was shared between offline and online modes was really great for me, despite being the source of most of the cheating problems.

darkepyonuk
Jan 25, 2011, 07:59 AM
the fact that the game was kinda a new type of rpg it bought as new aspect onto rpg's but still kept relevant to the genre, the weapons, the improvement of weapons from PSO to PSO ep 1&2 instaed of a db's sword being a multicoloured saber it was a different saber, MAG'S! who could forget the mags :) loads of things i remember and love

Ithildin
Jan 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
After the OP's long post I shall say, PSO's simplicity.

Mantiskilla
Jan 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
The fact that I could play an online game on something other than my PC made the experience pretty cool. That and it got me through stressful college days (or took me away from class) but whatever works.

Akaimizu
Jan 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
To tell the truth. PSO became special way before I dug in deeper into the game mechanics. Really. PSO's magic happened within the first hour of play. Before mags were raised. Before finding uber rare weapons. Before even getting those higher level techniques.

It happened because of these main things.
1. It was a real time, action RPG online. The moment after you put the disc in the Dreamcast and created your character, you moved them around, real time. With a controller. And they trotted down the hallway, allow you to run around dodge, and perform combat motions. In 3rd person. And it was backed by RPG stats? There was just nothing like it, at the time. Not on a console. Not on PC. That alone would grip you. Just because you were able to finally craft a character, with so much control, that you could almost put yourself (literally) in the game, and control them. The connection almost felt like an extension of yourself, in a way.

2. The Atmophere. Just like Phantasy Star originally did. It really broke the mold throwing in a Space-faring kind. The possible idea of humans using genetics and such (without restrictions) to make real what was previously in our minds as fantasy. Elves aren't real? We'll make them. Magic not real? We'll find a technological method to make us wizards. Etc. Not all of that is exactly what it seemed, but it certainly entertained the idea of Phantasy (the on-purpose misspelling) having another purpose. The idea that we use science to make our world like those in fantasy story books. The ultimate romanticism of the human race. So much of the story hinvolving creatures (including monsters) crafted from biological experimentation.

3. Language barriers desolved, mostly. SEGA wasn't the only one that thought that having a built-in phrase selector that worked in every major language was a good idea. It was nice being able to play with the Japanese, without even barely knowing the language, and have the capacity to actually have gameplay conversations with them. Ask questions. Listen to and give instruction. I even made some friends on there, and we didn't even speak each other's language. But that translator was enough to get our points across.

funkyskunk
Jan 25, 2011, 11:38 AM
The unknown. I remember when i first started playing PSO, me and a friend were online and a guy entered our game, PK'd everyone and stole all our weapons and money. He told us that it was a special mag he had found then he left the game. Me and my friend spent weeks trying to find out how to get that mag until we found out it was a hack.

After this unfortunate event, my friend and I had an agreement that we would steal other peoples items. One of us would pretend to trade with someone asking them to drop the item at their feet across the other side of the room. We would then drop some random crappy rare on the floor and then start walking to pick up the item. As the exchange was taking place, the 2nd friend would jump out from hiding behind a corner, snag both items then run off and quit the game. We would pretend we were not friends of course!

Now as evil as it sounds, we had some real good laughs doing that and I have no problem admitting to it. Shortly after this, hacked spread needles became common place and we had to get cheat devices to keep up :(

It was that initial feeling of the unknown and wondering what a certain rare item was for in your inventory that really got me hooked. "I've been playing this game for 200 hours+ and I STILL have no idea what a photon drop is. This game is endless?"

I agree with all the OP comments but, to be different, I thought I would tell this little story. :)

darkepyonuk
Jan 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
After this unfortunate event, my friend and I had an agreement that we would steal other peoples items. One of us would pretend to trade with someone asking them to drop the item at their feet across the other side of the room. We would then drop some random crappy rare on the floor and then start walking to pick up the item.
:)

naaahh i remeber making rooms and calling it "i dupe for free" got em everytime ;)

Akaimizu
Jan 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
The hacking and the duping was pretty much the main ruining experience of the game, for me. I know people say, "I want to play my way." But when it keeps ME from being able to play my way, that's a problem. The worst part was actually the potential for getting your character completely ruined after all the work you did. Once NOL came out, that was it. Nothing but locked rooms and playing with friends. It got too risky to play with randoms anymore.

I could play the game, but the initial magic of connecting well with total strangers, regardless of the language they speak, for a good dose of PVE was gone.

Kirukia
Jan 25, 2011, 03:31 PM
2 3 and 5 are my favorites from your list.

2) I loved my mag. I treated it like a pet. I definitely prefer them to partner machines. At first I thought it was cool to have your PM fighting alongside you, but I missed being able to actually carry it around and raise it. Plus I prefer a boost to my stats outright than another fairly useless NPC.

3) In PSO, I always played as a force. Now it's horrible to solo as a force, because of slow casts, low versatility in spells, and switching weapons. They added more elements, but that just made it more awful to cast spells with because of constantly switching weapons and waiting for the spells to load. I loved that each spell had different benefits and were useful in different situations, and that I didn't have to switch weapons every time I wanted to cast another element. If I wanted to hunt through Ultimate Ruins for Megid/Grants 30, I could. If I wanted to join up with a party and hunt with them, I could do that as well. I liked that I had an option, instead of being forced to be support for some people just so I can even level up. Hopefully fixed in Infinity, but force has been my favorite class and I missed being able to use them like I did in PSO.

5) There were so many rares @___@ As soon as I found one I wanted I'd find 3 more to add to my hunting list. And the section IDs made it crucial to be active with other players. I remember scouring my friends list for a Whitill to hunt some fan I wanted :p It was great to be able to meet other players with common goals. Another thing about rares in PSO, is that they didn't drop like freaking candy! If you hunt an actual rare item for a week, dont' expect to get it. Some of those rares were REAL goals, and you had to be dedicated to find them....or extremely lucky. Not to mention if it wasn't in your section ID, you needed to work with other players to find it. The rare system made things more valuable and more of an accomplishment to find, and it helped you meet new people. That's why I prefer the rare system in PSO over any other game I've played.

I was first introduced to PSO on GC by my friend. Me and two other friends would play PSO Offline together. I still remember starting a character on my friend's card. It was a FOmarl much like the default, and they were trying to explain to me that I should converse TP and how to do correct combos u__u I utterly failed at the timing at first :p

Which brings me to another point: You have to actually learn the controls and how to be patient, instead of button mashing to kill everything in sight just because you have a nice weapon.

Some of my explanations were a bit of a comparision to PSU, but even before then I enjoyed those certain aspects, being able to raise a "pet" of sorts, and the versatility of the techs on my force.

Kenbog
Jan 25, 2011, 06:16 PM
What made pso special?

Blasting trough missions hunting for the shiny treasures is just my type of game.
Teamwork on split screen fighting for who got the right of the rare weapon...ya it was fun :3
And its the only game I know that was able to break my game-console...

I was playing it 7 years ago and I am still playing it now, not allot of games could keep interest like that.

Mystil
Feb 11, 2011, 08:04 AM
There was nearly no restrictions placed on the players enjoyment. None. This, for me at least, was the single biggest reason PSO was special to me.

Aerilas
Feb 11, 2011, 09:06 AM
6) Challenge Mode. Some of you may have not enjoyed Challenge mode, but I loved it. For two main reasons, which I'll explain in further detail.

a) It was actually challenging the first few times through. It allowed you take all of your knowledge of the game and put it to real use. Is this handgun better than this saber? Am I better off using a 2-hit combo or a 3? Should I hold off on using a monomate until I level, or should I use it now? The list goes on and on and on.

b) It allowed you to take a break from your rare hunting and obtain a guaranteed rare drop. For those of you that hunted items with drop rates of 1/1000+ you can appreciate what I'm talking about. It can get really disheartening killing the same thing 10,000 times and not getting your rare. So to be able to invest some time into Challenge mode and KNOW that you will get a good rare of your choice at the end was a nice perk.

c) For those that enjoyed C-Mode, you could spend untold amounts of time trying to better your overall times. I know players that didn't even really play the normal game, they invested most of their time in just playing C-Mode.

Ding!

To add to this, another reason I did/do this is because i love the "back to basics" feeling. Also because I'm not the most fervented hunter for rare items. I'd rather hunt for good maps or good weapons in challenge mode

landman
Feb 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
Playing with people around the glove, using word select and making fun of it, telling your friend you found a Varista, leveling up your character, the sci-phy fantasy story.

FOkyasuta
Feb 11, 2011, 02:58 PM
Everything. What really stood out? Teh online. Revolution for the new era.

AlexCraig
Feb 11, 2011, 06:22 PM
Mags were a fun and interesting aspect.
Unique looking weapons, shields, etc.
Being able to just go out and do whatever instead of following a specific guideline.
Character customization (while not as in-depth in later games, it was still amazing for its time).
When I got BB, connecting with friends.
The plot and backstory of the game.

NoiseHERO
Feb 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
The four player offline...It literally multiplied the gameplay experience, That game was actually depressing to play solo...sorry...

Also all of the stages designs from episode 2 were admittedly beautiful and genius...which is kind multiplied into the epic mysterious vibe I got from pso.

At least the beach, that random facility with the flying beast boss thingy, the VR space station, That one underwater place? was that ep2? and the mountains. I don't see all the hype people shoved onto ep1.

BIG OLAF
Feb 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
I enjoyed the amazing soundtrack. I actually went on Amazon a while ago and paid $80 for "Sounds of Ragol Odyssey". The last one they had, too. Haven't ever seen any copies since then, either.

Everything else about PSO was kind of "meh" for me.

NoiseHERO
Feb 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
I enjoyed the amazing soundtrack. I actually went on Amazon a while ago and paid $80 for "Sounds of Ragol Odyssey". The last one they had, too. Haven't ever seen any copies since then, either.

Everything else about PSO was kind of "meh" for me.

Ah right, AND the soundtrack + "dynamic music", Also better in ep2... imo at least.

Thank god they're bringing that back, now just to hope the music doesn't suck in general...PSU only had a couple of interesting tracks but everything got annoying after running a mission for the 10th time.

AlexCraig
Feb 11, 2011, 06:51 PM
Ah yes, I forgot the music and settings. I have most, if not all, the music from PSO on one of my external drives, and almost all of the official soundtracks. And I just love going through the various areas.

BIG OLAF
Feb 11, 2011, 06:55 PM
the soundtrack + "dynamic music"

I take it that you're talking about how the background music would flawlessly flow and change when enemies attacked, and then flow right back into the regular music once they died? I thought that was awesome, and was annoyed that they didn't have it in PSU.

NoiseHERO
Feb 11, 2011, 07:17 PM
I take it that you're talking about how the background music would flawlessly flow and change when enemies attacked, and then flow right back into the regular music once they died? I thought that was awesome, and was annoyed that they didn't have it in PSU.

Definitely that...

Everytime I asked why PSU didn't have that music changing system I was told that the game was too fast paced so they left it out... and yet faster action rpg's integrate this like nothing. D:

venn2010
Feb 11, 2011, 09:20 PM
Ahh... PSO... nostalgia.

I suppose it's hard to pinpoint one thing that was memorable about it.

But one thing that made it blast for me was the fact that it was first online RPG on a console. It was such a big thing back then... Anybody remember SEGA.net? Or something like that... I don't remember the exact name, but SEGA used to have their own ISP service (!!) back in PSO ver.1 days. I remember signing up for it. LOL.

ChronoTrigga
Feb 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
The music, the art direction, the rares, the non-hacking/duping community, and last but not least....the multiplayer aspect. :)

NoiseHERO
Feb 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
The music, the art direction, the rares, the non-hacking/duping community, and last but not least....the multiplayer aspect. :)

I thought pso had more hacker/duper problems than psu?

Wayu
Feb 12, 2011, 09:13 AM
It did, but how one views it is totally opinionated.

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Feb 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
I-I can't find anything positive in a hacker running up in my face and kicking me off the server... D:

Oh and I loved the part where your data gets currupted and you your offline multiplayer friends end up quitting forever. ]:

CAMPSO
Feb 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Everything really. The music was awesome, mags were great and rares of course.
Funny thing is i never played online back then, but i still loved it.

Dongra
Feb 12, 2011, 04:16 PM
If you read his post correctly, you would notice he said the "non-hacking/duping community." That would be the people that don't cheat or attack other players.

chibiLegolas
Feb 12, 2011, 04:20 PM
7) The community. People are generally helpful when asked for help. I can't even begin to count the amount of times that people would hop into a run and help me hunt a rare even though nothing in that level dropped anything of use for them.

People were/are also very nice in terms of allowing people to play their own way. For those of you again that haven't played WoW or any other MMO that requires a lot of group play, people become serious elitists. In PSO terms, unless you were running with nothing but Charge Mechs w/Hit and a Hell Laser w/Hit you would be scrutinized to the ends of the earth. So it's nice to be able to play with people that don't care if you pull out your old Soul Eater for giggles, or start rockin' your Sigh of a God. People played for fun and the content allowed that to a certain extent.

Agree.
Plus having most access for players to meet up via (free online play + 1 GLOBAL server) + universal text chat + symbol chat = better community to play with.
To me, it's all about online, ease of teamwork, no waiting around to find them, & just plain nice ppl to play with. I have friends to play with every night. But prefer to play at least 1 random room a night as well, just to meet up with new ppl & check out their play styles. Yes, there will be hackers, elitists, or just plain jerks around. But for the majority of folks I've met, they're mostly possitive.

There's something special about 4 random ppl coming together and having great chemisty to live for that moment where we're all having fun that one night. Often enough, so much fun, we'll continue throughout the night as far as we can till at least 2 ppl pass/log out. And oddly enough, it's hard (at least for me) to get that back. Folks who join random rooms usually are very limited in their game schedule. And even though we exchange cards, it's rare to bring back those same 4 players again.

There's TONS of other reasons why PSO is special, but for me, PSO is special in that way for an unique GLOBAL online console game. (It really saddens me to see our PSO community so splintered with the different PSU servers)

SquashDemon
Feb 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
For me, PSO was a lot more than a game, my life was at a seriously low point at the time, I was fairly young, and my mind wasn't the type to be left alone if anything good were to come of it.

PSO was a whole other world, wherein I wasn't my weak self, where my awkwardness and appearance didn't matter, even more than the internet, PSO was the place I was able to be myself without any consequences, No one cared who I met with, how I spoke, how I played ("y u use sword dere so slw, u shud us doublcanon" "...why can't you spell? Go back to RO, SinX") And making friends was, for the first time in my life, easy. I had friends in Germany, Canada, across america, even a few English-speaking Japanese. And honestly, once the cheating got bad, for the most part, people didn't care about legit/hacked unless they were kind of jerks to begin with.

I made a good deal of my footprint by becoming a rare merchant, finding things that even if I couldn't equip them, I could sell or trade them for a nice bit of equipment, Buying Photon Drops from players, and other rare items using Meseta, and then selling things for meseta as well, even though most people saw money as useless, I acted out the role, and it brought me real joy, especially when someone questioned me about it.

If PSO 2 is even capable of making a sandbox that was even half as fun, I will be impressed, but I just don't think what happened to PSO was intentional, or that it can be recreated, at the very least, it won't feel the same way to me as PSO did back then.

Dongra
Feb 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
I've never really had a big tie with the PSO community. In fact,I think I actually got along more with the PSU community. Then again, my only online experiences with PSO have come from the past 2 years on the most populated private server, so there is a good chance that only the stubborn serious players, rather than the easy going fun players, were left for me to interact with. That's not to say that I didn't find any awesome people, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack on that server.

BIG OLAF
Feb 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
PSO was a whole other world, wherein I wasn't my weak self, where my awkwardness and appearance didn't matter, even more than the internet, PSO was the place I was able to be myself without any consequences,

Boy, do I know what you mean. That's why I play games as much as I do. Just replace the phrase "PSO" with the more broadened term "gaming", and you have my mindset. It's good to have something you can escape to. I can see why PSO was special to you, because PSU is just as special to me, in almost the exact same way.

NoiseHERO
Feb 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
If you read his post correctly, you would notice he said the "non-hacking/duping community." That would be the people that don't cheat or attack other players.

I see, I see...

Would've been less confusing if he said, "non-hacking/duping SIDE of the community." D:

I would say PSU had a good community too, but from what I've heard on the xbox side, that's a LIE. and the pc side just had too many obsessed perverted otaku weirdos, who would do anything just to cyber some random confirmed female. Or Elitists...which is sad for such a casual game...

But I still met a lot of people who I had things in common with and ended up being friends with for a long time.

lostinseganet
Feb 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
-Global online coop.
-Third person melee, shooting, magic, no press an arrow, and watch your character fight
-Scifi setting
-women fighting alongside the men no damsel in distress
-create your character

Omega-z
Feb 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
What Akaimizu Said:

To tell the truth. PSO became special way before I dug in deeper into the game mechanics. Really. PSO's magic happened within the first hour of play. Before mags were raised. Before finding uber rare weapons. Before even getting those higher level techniques.

It happened because of these main things.
1. It was a real time, action RPG online. The moment after you put the disc in the Dreamcast and created your character, you moved them around, real time. With a controller. And they trotted down the hallway, allow you to run around dodge, and perform combat motions. In 3rd person. And it was backed by RPG stats? There was just nothing like it, at the time. Not on a console. Not on PC. That alone would grip you. Just because you were able to finally craft a character, with so much control, that you could almost put yourself (literally) in the game, and control them. The connection almost felt like an extension of yourself, in a way.

2. The Atmophere. Just like Phantasy Star originally did. It really broke the mold throwing in a Space-faring kind. The possible idea of humans using genetics and such (without restrictions) to make real what was previously in our minds as fantasy. Elves aren't real? We'll make them. Magic not real? We'll find a technological method to make us wizards. Etc. Not all of that is exactly what it seemed, but it certainly entertained the idea of Phantasy (the on-purpose misspelling) having another purpose. The idea that we use science to make our world like those in fantasy story books. The ultimate romanticism of the human race. So much of the story hinvolving creatures (including monsters) crafted from biological experimentation.

3. Language barriers desolved, mostly. SEGA wasn't the only one that thought that having a built-in phrase selector that worked in every major language was a good idea. It was nice being able to play with the Japanese, without even barely knowing the language, and have the capacity to actually have gameplay conversations with them. Ask questions. Listen to and give instruction. I even made some friends on there, and we didn't even speak each other's language. But that translator was enough to get our points across.

````````

And that there was no other game that had a robot race in a game like this at the time Epic. and the Music too.:) But mostly how they merged the Fantasy and Syfi together was a dream come true.:)

venn2010
Feb 12, 2011, 10:54 PM

Holy... You're right. How could I forget that? I thought the same thing when I first got my hands on PSO.

NoGoBoard
Feb 12, 2011, 11:26 PM
Four person splitscreen. Sure, we never got very far in terms of level, but it was always fun.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Feb 12, 2011, 11:40 PM
four person splitscreen, the idea of a learning curve instead of a cliff (meaning that, like super smash brothers, you can get into it really easily from the start and become skilled and learn tricks and other things as you progress), the storyline was good and had a tone that i love, the unique weapons that sometimes looked ridiculous and really cool just the way i want them to, the fact that whatever goal you set for yourself in the game you always had fun reaching it, having an online RPG where you actually clicked a button to attack instead of having the game do it for you, i could go on, but i think you understand what im getting at here, i love PSO and though it may have some things that wouldn't hold up today because of its age, its core was sheer awesomeness

RemiusTA
Feb 13, 2011, 12:46 AM
It was fun. It was a great game that 4 of my friends could sit in a room and burn hours with. Hundreds of them. Majority of my time spent playing PSO was offline, but it still was an amazing game. There has never been another console game quite like it since.

I remember when i first played it, my friend came over my house with this odd game i've never even heard of before. By the time he had to go home, i remember practically begging him to borrow it. I ended up buying it the next weekend. They claimed i "cheated" because i managed to get a character to Hard mode in less than a week. Yeah we were trash at the game.

I also remember first time i got to the ruins, i was playing downstairs in my living room, and the analog stick on my Gamecube controller just randomly snapped on me. Im pretty sure it was just a factory defect (it came with the new system), but i always found it funny that i used to spam PSO so bad it actually destroyed my controller.

PSU was fun, and online games are fun. But frankly, there just isn't a substitute for being in a room playing with your friends and having a great time. 16-player Halo is fun on Xbox Live, but it'll never be more fun than the rare chances i've been able to do an 8-player System Link with my good neighborhood buddies until 5:00 AM on a friday night, just to have everyone wake up on the couch and go at it again the next morning.

PSO2 being PC only is really some of the most depressing news i think i'll ever get out of this game. Splitscreen multiplayer experiences are becoming sooo underrated these days. Introducing new friends to this odd game on GCN they've never even heard of before and watching them become addicted just like you were in a matter of hours is just priceless lol. (it's happened to at least 3 people i've met at school, including 1 more that i've recently exposed this very semester lol )

Crystal_Shard
Feb 13, 2011, 05:00 AM
I'm also one of those who started on the DC version first, never ventured much online, and lapsed until I spotted the GC version in my local game shop. It's a bit strange how things happened though - when I first played PSO v1, all I could think about was that this was not my old school PS, and I was disappointed, but I continued playing offline. The DC version didn't do much to encourage me either - seeing as I got stuck in Caves because as a FONewearl, De Rol Le kept outlasting the damage I could dish out, and I could never get better gear in solo offline.

Then years later, I found myself wanting to break out the DC and play PSO offline. Unfortunate for me, something was wrong with my GD and I never did get it started again. Seeing the GC version kicked my nostalgia glasses into high gear.

I've always thought the best parts of PSO were basically creating new characters, the hidden story, the addictive nature of rare-hunting, the international nature of the game and of course, the eccentric controls that were simple to learn, yet difficult to master.

I certainly miss split-screen multi, which was an absolute blast - I used to drag a friend of mine into playing one of my secondary characters and we'd play 2 player offline multi till the wee hours of the night. I miss being able to trade powerful rares - I made a number of friends through trading my excess stuff. And I miss being not being level/class restricted for weapons and units - I liked that my alts could use hand-me-downs without needing to wait to reach a certain level before using them to breeze through to low levels.

Mags were tedious to raise, but they certainly helped to add a secondary level of uniqueness to a character. I've always had a soft spot for the very first MAG I raised in DC PSO, a red Kabanda. I really hope to see a successor to it.

Finally, sharing characters between offline and online was great. Timezones, work schedules have all made it difficult for me to play online as much as I would like. I've always seen being able to train during downtime as a major benefit of the game.

UberRottweiler
Feb 13, 2011, 06:22 AM
Well, PSO was my first Game Cube game when my parents gave me a GC for xmas back in 2004, and for me it was love at first sight really. The game itself is beautyful I can't describe it in any other way.

Then my best friends got their own copy of PSO and we spent hours playing split screen cooperative mode, killing monsters, looking for items etc.

In my opinion, PSO gave us amazing graphics, a beautiful and amazing storyline, amazing music (I got the whole soundtrack of all episodes and they will be in my MP3 until I die :D) and a very addictive game mode. PSO landscapes were so amazing, my favorite was Gal Da Val beach area.

MAG system was a little demanding, but we managed to raise rare mags by creating new characters on a secondary memory slot in order to feed them and get the rare MAG's depending on the character's insignia.

Specifically my favorite MAG was Rati, and I raised so many Ratis for every character we had and made them suitable for every character class and playstyle.

The monsters were amazing and visually appealing, MACHINE type monsters were my favorite, specially the Baranz. All 8 bosses were unique and every battle against them were epic.

Unfortunately I lost my main characters because the memory card got corrupted, my main characters were lost, I haven played since. But the memories from PSO make me smile.

The bottom line is; In my opinion PSO is probably my favorite game of all time, I dont hope or want PSO2 to be a clone of good ol' PSO, but I want it to be different from PSU, PSU isn not bad at all, but I think PSO was way better; darker and more mature storyline, an ominous/eerie feeling while you are getting closer to the final fight against Dark Falz and Olga Flow, on the other hand PSU story was a little childish in my opinion. PSU lacks of those elements that made PSO a beautyfully developed game. Peace.

lostinseganet
Feb 13, 2011, 06:33 AM
Ahh... PSO... nostalgia.

I suppose it's hard to pinpoint one thing that was memorable about it.

But one thing that made it blast for me was the fact that it was first online RPG on a console. It was such a big thing back then... Anybody remember SEGA.net? Or something like that... I don't remember the exact name, but SEGA used to have their own ISP service (!!) back in PSO ver.1 days. I remember signing up for it. LOL.heh yea I remember sega.net I loved getting lost in it ^u^ hur hur hurr

ThEoRy
Feb 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah then they got out and they switched me over to earthlink.

Best thing about playing pso by far. Friends. It's nothing without that.

Shou
Feb 13, 2011, 11:13 PM
Everything

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Feb 14, 2011, 08:14 AM
Section ID's and drops
Split screen on GC
Original weapon ideas and not just re-makes such as most of the PSU weapon content.
Red Ring Rico's messages
Olga Flow Ult fights

Tifa

Darki
Feb 14, 2011, 09:50 AM
^Uh? I see many original weapons in PSU. And I can remember many people bawing in the forums because they missed their "cool xxx weapon from PSO" before MAG happened... PSO had many weapons inspired by original PS series.

But well, I guess sharing concepts between games of the same brand is so bad that most games don't do that. /sarcasm

NoiseHERO
Feb 14, 2011, 09:53 AM
Add moar PSZ weapons!

Wayu
Feb 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
Oh, wow.

I just noticed one big reason why I liked PSO - the combat seemed similar to that of Fire Emblem's.

Yes, that means I think it was clunky and a little awkward, but nonetheless it reminded me of FE.

-Wayu

Kenbog
Feb 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oh, wow.

I just noticed one big reason why I liked PSO - the combat seemed similar to that of Fire Emblem's.

Yes, that means I think it was clunky and a little awkward, but nonetheless it reminded me of FE.

-Wayu

explain please o.o;;
How could the combat of a turnbase strategy medieval fantasy RPG even resemble a dungeon crawling sci-fiction action RPG?

Dongra
Feb 14, 2011, 06:20 PM
^Uh? I see many original weapons in PSU. And I can remember many people bawing in the forums because they missed their "cool xxx weapon from PSO" before MAG happened... PSO had many weapons inspired by original PS series.

But well, I guess sharing concepts between games of the same brand is so bad that most games don't do that. /sarcasm
Though PSO had less weapon types than PSU, the weapons in PSO can arguably be seen as "original" because they have different functionalities thanks to extra attacks. PSU's weapons all share the same general function which is to beat the crap out of enemies. PSO had different weapons of the same category that could be used for another purpose. For example, even though Frozen Shooter and Bringer's Rifle are both rifle weapons, one was used to freeze enemies while the other was used to reduce health; however, in PSU once you had a high ranking weapon there was no reason to use another of that type because anything would be inferior. PSU definitely has a much larger variety of useful weapons to choose from, unlike PSO's useless claw and fist weapons.

NoiseHERO
Feb 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
Though PSO had less weapon types than PSU, the weapons in PSO can arguably be seen as "original" because they have different functionalities thanks to extra attacks. PSU's weapons all share the same general function which is to beat the crap out of enemies. PSO had different weapons of the same category that could be used for another purpose. For example, even though Frozen Shooter and Bringer's Rifle are both rifle weapons, one was used to freeze enemies while the other was used to reduce health; however, in PSU once you had a high ranking weapon there was no reason to use another of that type because anything would be inferior. PSU definitely has a much larger variety of useful weapons to choose from, unlike PSO's useless claw and fist weapons.

Some weapons in PSU had special effects, like all of the pea shooter mags, some of the srank claws could freeze or zap people >_>; I think a couple weapons could inflict burn. and of course all of the guns had special effects. But mostly yeah there wasn't a lot. I think pspo2 expanded on that or at least outdated it with the chain system or something.

Dongra
Feb 14, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't think I was around for that many of those weapons, and if I was around for some then they had a very low chance for their special effect to kick in anyway.

NoiseHERO
Feb 14, 2011, 08:27 PM
I don't think I was around for that many of those weapons, and if I was around for some then they had a very low chance for their special effect to kick in anyway.

The effects actually worked a lot, especially the claw and 1 handed gun ones, Not the handgun though...kinda lame-ish.

Wayu
Feb 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
explain please o.o;;
How could the combat of a turnbase strategy medieval fantasy RPG even resemble a dungeon crawling sci-fiction action RPG?

The attack animations.

-Wayu

Sienna
Feb 14, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hold up, use Dual Slicers for instant Oh Yes.

Kion
Feb 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
The main thing that I liked about the game was the silence! None of the cut scenes went on very long. When they did happen they were mostly short in game dialog boxes. The entire story was told through the music, the enemy designs, the combat and Rico's dialog boxes. Playing the game I started wondering, "why are these creatures mutated?", "what happened in these mines?", "where did de rol le come from?" and the game a great job of filling you in indirectly with quests. That's what kept me emotionally engaged and playing for so long. I wanted to see how ultimate ended and to do that I needed to level up and hunt for rares.

[spoiler-box]
PSU, PSzero, PSPortable, and PSPortable2 were downright horrible with their shitty, "story mode"; let's stand around and state the freaking obvious for hours. You HAD to advance the insanely boring story mode in order to continue on and I lost complete interest in those games completely. I hope PSO2 takes note from PSO and goes back to the quest style inference approach to story telling.
[/spoiler-box]

venn2010
Feb 15, 2011, 12:22 AM
The main thing that I liked about the game was the silence! None of the cut scenes went on very long. When they did happen they were mostly short in game dialog boxes. The entire story was told through the music, the enemy designs, the combat and Rico's dialog boxes. Playing the game I started wondering, "why are these creatures mutated?", "what happened in these mines?", "where did de rol le come from?" and the game a great job of filling you in indirectly with quests. That's what kept me emotionally engaged and playing for so long. I wanted to see how ultimate ended and to do that I needed to level up and hunt for rares.

[spoiler-box]
PSU, PSzero, PSPortable, and PSPortable2 were downright horrible with their shitty, "story mode"; let's stand around and state the freaking obvious for hours. You HAD to advance the insanely boring story mode in order to continue on and I lost complete interest in those games completely. I hope PSO2 takes note from PSO and goes back to the quest style inference approach to story telling.
[/spoiler-box]

I kinda agree,, but sometimes the vagueness was boring in itself. I felt same as you at first, but as time passed, I just wanted to know the whole deal by the time I was at the end...

...and they never filled you in, you know. :rolleyes:

ChronoTrigga
Feb 15, 2011, 04:31 AM

I meant the people who didn't do that sort of thing in general.

Wayu
Feb 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
@Kion: Spoiler part was unnecessary, you know. Sure, the story of those wasn't as appealing but no need to attack it...

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Feb 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
I meant the people who didn't do that sort of thing in general.

Dongra already caught that for me. ]:

Kion
Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
@Kion: Spoiler part was unnecessary, you know. Sure, the story of those wasn't as appealing but no need to attack it...

That's why I put it in a spoiler box as it was pretty much going in an off topic rant. The game play in PSP2 was a lot of fun, but Amilia (jp ver.) has to be the most irritating character from any media every I have ever experienced, I mean like ten times worse than Tidus. That's how painfully bad the PSU series story line is to me.

But back on topic, I remembered another thing that I liked about PSO. The opening sequence. I don't mean the opening song (which was great), but the title screen was amazing. That drew me in. I loved the sound of selecting start game then going to the character select. It just captured the scifi-fantasy feeling dead on.

NoiseHERO
Feb 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
@Topic: Fonewm looking like link. :0

Vintasticvin
Feb 16, 2011, 01:42 AM
It was and still is a fun game to just hop on and cut loose on a instanced killing spree and my goodness loaded with so many ways to customize your said character at the time were ENDLESS to an an extent >___< But still had endless possibilities for setup. OH and the ID badges were cool O_O Oran's look like the Shiekah's symbol (From The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time)

Nitro Vordex
Feb 16, 2011, 02:49 AM
But back on topic, I remembered another thing that I liked about PSO. The opening sequence. I don't mean the opening song (which was great), but the title screen was amazing. That drew me in. I loved the sound of selecting start game then going to the character select. It just captured the scifi-fantasy feeling dead on.
I love the song for the title screen.

"A Song for Eternal Story" in case you didn't know it. I even love the name of the song, it fits so perfectly.

Linka
Feb 16, 2011, 04:02 AM
you know, i may never have played PSO, but minus the 'online' aspects to your explanations, it was sorta like how it felt with me and my old friend Timo when we played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the gamecube. wish i could go back in time and replace it with PSO to see if the effect would be the same.

seriously, though, what you guys describe for PSO, invokes emotions and feelings in me that i recognize as being the exact same ones i felt playing FFCC with Timo. just two buds roaming a world, kicking ass, working on our weapons and armor, piecing together a subtle story you might not even spot unless you knew where to go, or spent enough time in it, and overall just having a blast. good times.*wipes away one stray tear*

NoiseHERO
Feb 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
you know, i may never have played PSO, but minus the 'online' aspects to your explanations, it was sorta like how it felt with me and my old friend Timo when we played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the gamecube. wish i could go back in time and replace it with PSO to see if the effect would be the same.

seriously, though, what you guys describe for PSO, invokes emotions and feelings in me that i recognize as being the exact same ones i felt playing FFCC with Timo. just two buds roaming a world, kicking ass, working on our weapons and armor, piecing together a subtle story you might not even spot unless you knew where to go, or spent enough time in it, and overall just having a blast. good times.*wipes away one stray tear*

I was so hyped for that game on the DS, I don't know how it disappointed me

Linka
Feb 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
yeah. Ring of Fates and Echoes of Time were good games, but nothing beat the original Crystal Chronicles on the old gamecube, if you had friends playing with you. sure, i only had one, but one was enough. maybe sometime in the next ten years or so, we should all set up someplace we all can meet, and just sit down...and play PSO and FFCC. just have a good time. maybe on PSO's anniversary day. all you PSO players can show me the ways of Ragol, and i can show you all the ropes of being a Crystal Caravan member.

definately sounds like a day both to remember, and anticipate.

Tetsaru
Feb 19, 2011, 08:03 AM
Here's what I loved about PSO:

1 - All of my friends and I at the time had the game for Gamecube, and we would get together to play offline multiplayer co-op games. It was a great feeling, being able to fight together against crazy bosses like Olga Flow, or help each other out when one of us found a rare item that would better suit a different class, etc. I never personally got online to experience what it was like (didn't have internet access at the time), so this was the next-best thing.

2 - The loot system. There were TONS of items in PSO, and different versions of the same item could have slightly different stats, attributes, grinds, special ablities, etc. It always gave you something to look forward to. Also, the different section ID's gave it a sort of Pokemon-esque feel about it, in that you had to trade with different people to get certain things.

3 - Although it pales in comparison to other games today, I loved having my own character to customize, and having different weapons/items added to that. MAGs were also a great feature in this regard, as well as being able to assign different attacks, spells, and items to the buttons on your controller.

4 - The game itself was actually pretty difficult and challenging. I remember constantly trying to avoid getting knocked the fuck out by Hildebears, or hit by random invisible traps, or playing Megid dodgeball with Ob Lilies. That, and most of the boss fights were pretty intense too.

5 - The music was AMAZING. I agree with Kion and Nitro Vortex about the opening title screen and theme - probably one of the few game soundtracks that actually gives me goosebumps if I haven't heard it in a while, lol.

6 - The storyline. I liked how you go trying to figure out what happened to Red Ring Rico or Heathcliff Flowen, reading the logs they leave behind... and then it just gets more and more intense the further along you go.

7 - I liked how Ultimate mode changed the appearance and abilities of all the enemies you fought. It added an unique challenge and twist.

8 - Randomly-appearing rare monsters. Unlike in PSU, where you had rare monsters spawn according to certain maps, PSO's rare monsters were much more unpredictable and something to get excited about, because you never knew when they'd pop up, you knew they would probably be more difficult to kill, and there was a chance of them dropping something really cool. Granted, you could still telepipe repeatedly to get them to show up sometimes...

9 - Challenge Mode!...although I didn't really play it that much. ^^; It was still fun though, especially with friends.

Ishia
Feb 19, 2011, 01:16 PM
My first MMO. That's about it.

steaIth
Mar 4, 2011, 11:53 PM
I think PSO's simplicity, and complexity. Like the OP said, you start by hacking away, and you gradually start learning how to play, what works well. The simple game turns complicated as fast as you want it to.

Also, the excitement of finding a red box. Other games don't compare to always having a chance of finding a rare. It also expands the excitement because you wonder about percents, what class, and what it is.

I also like being able to hunt at lower levels, so you don't have to just plain level grind. (also like the OP said) I also agree with pretty much everthing else the OP said.

Zilch
Mar 9, 2011, 02:00 PM
One of my first MMOs. A direct and responsive combat system without auto attacks or turns. Awesome character customization and design. Dark, intriguing Sci-Fi world.

Hell yeah.

Shinji Kazuya
Mar 9, 2011, 02:25 PM
In a small town like the one I live getting multiplayer games so me and my friends could play together was a must since we all had Game Cubes. That was what made PSO so speacial for me and for my neiborhood friends too I bet. We would get together during most free days like the weekends, holidays and specialy during the summer vacation and spend all day playing PSO. Everyone playing PSO in a room with 3 Game Cubes with 3 PSO each and 3 TVs. Driking Coca-Cola, Ice Tea, eating potato chips, sandwiches, etc. Ah good old PSO days. :wacko:

FEI LEE
Mar 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
I still remember the day my friends first got PSO on DC lol. I played a few times but never really played hardcore until GC. Some of the greatest offline gaming my friends and I ever had to this day. Actually just saw and old friend about 2 weeks or so ago and we sat down to play a lil PSO for old times sake lol. But yeah I definitely agree with OP's reasons.

Reksanden
Mar 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
My first MMO. That's about it.

Same as the first part he said, and the fun(and pain) of finding rares.

KodiaX987
Mar 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yeehaw...

V1 only!

ACTION RPG
There are simply not enough action RPGs in the world, at least not ones that implement both melee and ranged combat and make both important.

EASY TO LEARN, HARD TO MASTER
Doing my first combos was a laborious thing. But I got better. Then I figured out that doing a 3-hit wasn't necessarily always the right thing to do. I had to master the art of figuring out whether I really wanted to carry over and do a second or a third hit in some situations.

SOLOABLE
One of my biggest draw-ins. I didn't need to rely on a team to go and loot a dungeon. If there was nobody I knew online, I could simply start a solo game and have my own fun for an hour.

CASUAL
Yep! I said it. I didn't need to spend a massive amount of hours into the game to get someone to a respectable level. I didn't need to be a super-hardcore powerplayer to do decent damage. In fact, in most runs, two or three cleared the room while the others chatted about some subject. That's fine!

VARIED WEAPONS
Sabers, swords and slicers completely changed the way you played. So did rifles, mechguns and shotguns. Each drew a player to adopt a different playstyle. Not everything needed to be at melee range to damage me. No weapon made me invincible against everyone and everything.

BALANCED
The monsters were not OH-KO cheapshot sons of bitches. However, they could still screw me over well and proper if I did not pay attention to what I was doing.

OPEN-ENDED
The storyline was minimalist to an almost pathological extent. Your character had no backstory set by the game itself. This meant that fanart and fanfics were nigh limitless in their extent. People could imagine Pioneer II and their characters any way they saw fit. Some wrote them up as high-ranking ex-military officers, some put them as expert fighters, some put them as high-clearance security personnel, and everything in-between. We saw concepts and hybrids adapted to every sauce, we saw half-monsters and cultists, we saw FOcasts and cultures and sometimes even entire original series branch off from PSO as its origin, using PSO as a launchpad to give birth to a completely new universe...

FOkyasuta
Mar 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
Global Servers.

ttdestroy
Mar 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
I'm in a family of four boys and I'm the second to youngest, we could never really agree on what to play but PSO Eps. 1 & 2 on GC changed that. No matter if we weren't talking to one another for some argument or whatever, when that game powered up you knew that was all by the wayside. Even on our 20 in. TV 4-way splitscreen was still fun. Now that we're all grown and outta the house we still join up online for quick games of Lost Planet 2 or Global agenda or Bad Company 2 a few times a week, and we're eagerly anticipating PSO2.

So basically family bonding, I don't care what people say about using games to bond with other people PSO gave our family countless hours fun.

Splash
Mar 23, 2011, 02:14 AM
The thrill of interacting with other people.

andrewrew
Mar 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
Everything, especially splitscreen.

Thunderflash
Mar 26, 2011, 01:17 PM
What I love about PSO is its simplicity one the first look.
But what I really love about PSO is that it concentrates on the most important and funniest thing (IMO) in every MMO: Team-Play in small groups.

Sha Sha
Mar 26, 2011, 06:04 PM
The People made PSO fun for me.
Making new friends and actually keeping in touch with them. (which I have, one was 14 and now has graduated high-school and landed a good job in computer tech)

Of course the game it self was fun much like others I had the mag timed out too, except for me at the time i was obsessed with Sephirtohs theme from ff7, i have never played the game but i loved the music, the version of the song i had was like 6+ mins long. I had it timed at one part of the song to go feed the mag, comeback and when the song ended go back and feed mag. Perfect during the time i had dishes from dinner to wash.

I miss those days of being up till 5am playing with random people from all over the world. Lobby bumming and chair racing. trying to not get FSODed and NOLed and running away from roxxy
and then finally revealing that i was a girl playing a FOmar. that had its fun parts and the awkwardness when girls hit on me in game ><
I think for months people thought i was a gay guy

Dongra
Mar 26, 2011, 06:12 PM
girls hit on me in game ><
I'm sorry, but I simply cannot believe this. Got a good laugh out of it though.

Sha Sha
Mar 26, 2011, 06:18 PM

Well it might not have been real girls, maybe just g.i.r.l.s but
I even had a hard time convincing people i was female.

Finally did it once when one night a bunch of us 3 ways a bunch of people and there was like 9+ people on the phone and i spoke and it was O_O OMG MARRON IS A GIRL...

but still good times good times

FOkyasuta
Mar 26, 2011, 06:19 PM

My exact thought on this.

lostinseganet
Mar 26, 2011, 10:02 PM
Dreamcast made it special. For consoles there was nothing like it for its time. I was just starting college too :)

Alisha
Mar 27, 2011, 03:32 AM
PSO had an almost arcade game like style and i think thats were pso got things right and psu got things wrong. psu tried to hard to be a psuedo mmo as a result certain aspects of the game wernt very fun.

NoiseHERO
Mar 27, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'm not seeing a right and wrong in this...in terms of PSU being a pseudo mmo. D:

If you're talking about the extension of the community related content ima have to disagree. D:

/Liked being 2nd-msn lobby rat when missions got boring.

WiZ1988
Mar 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
I started on the xbox and was hooked. I had never played a game like it before. Some good ass memories!! I miss those days

Vashyron
Apr 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
For me probably because it was my first MMO, had some good times over it's years, highlight for me was the fantastic "atmosphere."

Though now, I feel like it didn't age well, can't stand playing it again after all these years.

DragonXGW
Apr 3, 2011, 10:56 PM
For me, after a decade of PSO, the game still retains it's initial magic.

some people may think it's dated, and sure, it's graphics don't hold up compared to other MMOs (still think Guild Wards is the most beautiful of the various MMOs available to play) but as far as gameplay goes, it's still refreshing. I can't stand games where I just queue up my actions and sit there whilst the game runs through it's motions. I love it that in PSO I not only can be right in the thick of things, but I've got not choice, I can't really plan out my actions in advanced, i've got to think on my feet.

one thing that is deffinately not dated is the soundtrack. my god do i love the PSO sound track. To this day my favorite song has always been "From seeing the Rough Wave"

alot of people talk about how annoying De Rol Lie is, but I've never found him either difficult or annoying. and with that absolutely amazing track to fight him with... well, it's my favorite boss. I wish Barba Ray used the same music...

Mr Champloo
Apr 4, 2011, 01:40 AM
It just brings me in.
I was happy when they brought challenges and battle though XD

HuJin
Apr 4, 2011, 01:58 AM
My favourite point is the Gameplay. The Buffs and debuffs are really simple, thats my only negative point but the PB idea was really new, its saving me several times from being killed xD
But one Big Problem is the Online Gaming.
I never played online so i could never do these online Quests in general for EP 2.
So many really difficult Drops are more difficult for me... like Heaven Punisher or Sealed...
But i love this game. Its simple but its easy to understand and some graphic parts are really fantastic(EP 2). Online the 2D Grahipc is the most negativ point and u cant turn the camera around... thats why i hat to stand in ruins1 on the hole or in CCA Mountain...
And the monsters.... they are really fantastc, some stronger and some lower but i love all(excepted Sol Gibbon until my Hucaseal has an Cure/Shock...) xD
So I really love all points of the Game, if the Graphi changes and the other parts will take over to PSO2 it will be a phantastic game and every PSO player will love this game.

MadDogg
Apr 4, 2011, 06:15 AM
Finding rares and making friends pretty much. I was there on version 1 dreamcast when the community had this big ass double saber craze (and also people making up rares in the lobby, like some kind of black double saber or something, lol), man those where good times. Game was like, the best thing ever before people started messing around with gameshark.