PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a custom Avatar?

Sweek
Feb 3, 2011, 01:02 PM
:-?:-?

BIG OLAF
Feb 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
If I remember correctly, PSOW only gives custom avatar privileges to people who win contests, or other special events.

EDIT: And, of course, PSOW moderators and admins get custom avatars as a perk, too.

Sweek
Feb 3, 2011, 02:48 PM
Okay, thanks. I don't really get why... but I suppose it doesn't matter that much.

Ryna
Feb 3, 2011, 03:47 PM
Okay, thanks. I don't really get why... but I suppose it doesn't matter that much.

The current custom avatar policy is outlined here:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164441

Sweek
Feb 3, 2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you Ryna, I suppose that does make sense.

Imatron_
Feb 5, 2011, 12:00 PM
That makes a good bit of sense, as an added plus it might also help with a flash security risk if the site's software or the user's software is not up to date. If its not up to date then a user's avatar could be saved as a flash image file with a flash script attached, the computer runs the script alongside the image not relizing its also running a malicious script by opening the image and displaying it on the user's screen.

Mine was a contest prize, though I actually think I owe Ryna an apology, I dont frequent the site as often as I'd like to. She asked me if I could grab an image that was more reconizable as a psu image, since mine is currently not very discernable, and I never replied to her since I was trying to get a better image and never could. I made a poster of my cast being eaten by a de regan, maybe I can convert that to an avy and swap it out if she doesnt mind?

Sweek
Feb 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
Sorry but that just sounds a bit farfetched to me Imatron. For one I've never heard of anything like that so I don't think its possible. Secondly, you can set it to only allow certain formats, (seen on social networking sites) and even if you tried to hide a malicious code in a jpeg if the computer is reading it as a jpeg it would not comprehend the other code, thus it would do nothing. Just like how viruses made for Windows do nothing on a Mac, if it can't read it or reads it differently then it doesn't have the same effect. I'm citing this to my years of experience with computers, and my certification as a web designer. I work in computer hardware so I do hardware mostly, not software, but I've met a lot of software designers and learned a thing or two about how computer software works. I will however ask a software designer specifically to make sure next time I run into one. I'll ask a friend who is actually still doing web design, too.

Edit:
I'm starting to really like my avatar :)
If I did have the option to use a custom avatar I'd probably make one out of a pic of my PSP2 character and have my name in it or something, it doesn't matter to me though. You could do something like that if you can't think of something Imatron.

Edit:
I asked my friend Scott who is a professional web designer, and he confirmed what I said; "Yes, you are right, that sounds ridiculous."
I also asked a friend of mine who is a professional software designer, he said; "Yes, you are right. If they just limited the avatar image to a straight image format like jpg or png or whatever, then there's no place for a virus to fit. I have no idea what a flash image file is, or if such a thing is scriptable, but it doesn't change your answer."

funkyskunk
Feb 8, 2011, 07:17 AM
I doubt you would ever be allowed to use flash files in your avatars. Animated gifs are suffice anyway. how many websites do you know that allow flash in avatars? >.>

Sweek
Feb 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
I doubt you would ever be allowed to use flash files in your avatars. Animated gifs are suffice anyway. how many websites do you know that allow flash in avatars? >.>

Exactly

SELENNA
Feb 9, 2011, 03:11 AM
I like mine so it's fine ^^ Though I enjoy exclusivity, but I guess I'm one of the first guys to choose this avatar

Mystil
Feb 11, 2011, 08:18 AM
Mine is so old it's not selectable in the database anymore so Im not changing mine XD.

Ryna
Feb 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
Mine is so old it's not selectable in the database anymore so Im not changing mine XD.

No avatars have been removed from the database. Your current avatar is available from the Phantasy Star Zero section. Just look for the FOnewearl assortment.

NegaTsukasa
Jul 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
lol Mystil. I thought the same with my current one. It doesn't show the avatar you already have displayed in the roster of characters. thus it made me think mine was outdated as well.
It'll come back up on the roster when you change to another Avatar.

on another note, since we are on the subject of custom avatars, how do you guys get the ones on the lists? do you have some people make them? or just crop? etc?
I got a few I'm making soon that I think you guys might really like. So I'm just asking.

SStrikerR
Jul 3, 2011, 12:38 AM
People have submitted avatars to pso-w before, so I'm assuming as long as it's in the right format you can see if they'll accept it.

NegaTsukasa
Jul 3, 2011, 03:29 AM
People have submitted avatars to pso-w before, so I'm assuming as long as it's in the right format you can see if they'll accept it.

ah. ok.

I'll try to find where I can do that when they are finished. unless you already might know where to submit?
I'm sure there is a way.

BIG OLAF
Jul 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
It just needs to be Phantasy Star-related, an pass the moderator "inspection."

Dhylec
Jul 3, 2011, 04:16 PM
Look at the previous submissions & see the general idea on what & how submitted avatars are selected.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185850
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185821

Sayara
Jul 3, 2011, 04:19 PM
Make a thread in this forum spot (Site Related) or send a PM to Dyl and Ryna since they have the most control of entering stuff to our databases.

NegaTsukasa
Jul 4, 2011, 11:49 PM
Ok. thanks for the information.

Hrith
Jul 9, 2011, 03:31 PM
If I remember correctly, PSOW only gives custom avatar privileges to people who win contests, or other special events.Some requirements can be much, much worse :disapprove:

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
Some requirements can be much, much worse :disapprove:

Meaning what, exactly?

Dhylec
Jul 9, 2011, 06:14 PM
Some requirements can be much, much worse :disapprove:
Hah, at least ya got it. We can take that away if ya don't like it. >.>

Meaning what, exactly?
Don't mind him too much.He's an old man who's a bit bitter about the past.

Hrith
Jul 10, 2011, 06:04 AM
Aren't you older than me, Dhyl? >_>

My avatar is a joke Ryna pulled on me, I never asked for it. It's brilliant, though, and a good memory.