PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Alpha invites coming with PSP2i and other ways

Ryudo
Feb 5, 2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/05/pso2_alpha/

The focus of today's "Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity National Fan Appreciation Festival 2011 supported by Calorie Mate" event was, as one might expect, PSP's upcoming Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, which is due for release on February 24. But Sega also provided a brief update on Phantasy Star Online 2.

PSO2 was first announced for Windows at the Tokyo Game Show last year, but we've heard little since. The silence should be coming to an end soon. At today's event, producer Satoshi Sakai announced that the game's alpha test phase will begin in the summer.

Participants for the alpha test will be chosen via drawing. To take part in the drawing, you'll need a special code which can be obtained in two ways.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity buyers will find a code included with the first print run of the game. When buying PSP2i, you'll be able to tell if your copy of the game has the code because it will be marked in yellow on the package. Buyers of the PSN download version will not get the code.

Sega will also be distributing codes to Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst players. Further details will be announced later.

hmm to import just for a CHANCE to win a code or not?

RenzokukenZ
Feb 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
No love for PSP Go users?

And the test will be in the summer? Wow. Sounds like they've been having this game under wraps long before its announcement to be able to create a test this soon.

Wayu
Feb 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
PSO2's been under production alongside Infinity, so not surprised.

Sucks for me, though (PSPgo).

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Feb 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
LOL @ Calorie mate...bought time somebody made the connection to that and monomate.

Randomness
Feb 5, 2011, 02:12 PM
No love for PSP Go users?

And the test will be in the summer? Wow. Sounds like they've been having this game under wraps long before its announcement to be able to create a test this soon.

To be fair, it is only the Alpha.

That said... I hope they get it right this time.

Arkios
Feb 5, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'm just waiting for the following announcement:

The next Phantasy Star game in the franchise, originally codenamed PSO2 has been revealed today. The new game will officially be called:

"Phantasy Star Online: HD"

PS:HD will be a 10 Episode game featuring Episodes 1-4 from the previous installments, as well as 6 additional Episodes. The graphics have been re-done to meet with current standards, several other enhancements to the games original features will be included as well.

More information to come in future months.

:beer:

pikachief
Feb 5, 2011, 06:52 PM
I for one am glad they aren't supporting the PSPgo! Horrid idea, IMO.

But I think the real reason its not for the Go is because the PSP is one of the most, if not the most, pirated thing ever lol. And I'm sure the Phantasy Star games get pirated a lot too, so if they include something that only the retail version has then more people will buy the actual game lol

I was thinking about importing PSP2i for the extra chance at this Alpha, but it is only an alpha and I can wait for the beta :) (that is, if the beta is open :O )

rise urbanus
Feb 5, 2011, 10:26 PM
now thats good news :)

RemiusTA
Feb 6, 2011, 12:02 AM

The next Phantasy Star game in the franchise, originally codenamed PSO2 has been revealed today. The new game will officially be called:

PS:HD will be a 10 Episode game featuring Episodes 1-4 from the previous installments, as well as 6 additional Episodes. The graphics have been re-done to meet with current standards, several other enhancements to the games original features will be included as well.

I would fly a plane into Sega's headquarters.

FOkyasuta
Feb 6, 2011, 12:03 AM

9/11 on a smaller scale.

Mike
Feb 6, 2011, 12:15 AM
I for one am glad they aren't supporting the PSPgo! Horrid idea, IMO.
It's not the PSPgo that doesn't get an alpha drawing code, but download version that. You don't need to have a PSPgo to buy the download version of a game.

Darki
Feb 6, 2011, 05:09 AM

I'm just waiting for those anouncements to never come and see PSO drama queens cry, baw and moan all over the forums (it would be REALLY amusing), but actually I shouldn't be that hopeful. Sega has been doing a really bad work lately so I would expect them doing something similar to your idea as another of their game fuck-offs.

fda4ever
Feb 6, 2011, 06:47 AM
I'm just waiting for those anouncements to never come and see PSO drama queens cry, baw and moan all over the forums (it would be REALLY amusing), but actually I shouldn't be that hopeful. Sega has been doing a really bad work lately so I would expect them doing something similar to your idea as another of their game fuck-offs.

Who's being dramatic?

Darki
Feb 6, 2011, 08:22 AM
Lol, I dunno about Remius but I don't se my post that dramatic. I've never denied that PSU has been brutalized by ST crap management, and probably the game is not even as half as good as it would be if it had been taken care by a more competent team. But of course saying that the best way to make the new game is to pick directly the old game with just a few graphical fixes is as delusional and senseless as if we said the same about PSU.

Based on that, I'm not denying the possibility that what Arkios said could happen, because ST had fucked up games before and it will continue doing it in the future, but that would seem a retarded move from Sega, wasting money on remaking a game when they can make a new one.

but I have a little hope thinking that they will try to surpass themselves and that they would be able at least to make a game better than one made 10 years ago for a console that got out of market due to almost bankrupt.

Randomness
Feb 6, 2011, 01:51 PM

Already confirmed to take place in a new setting, sorry.

Anon_Fire
Feb 6, 2011, 02:27 PM
Already confirmed to take place in a new setting, sorry.

True that.

EspioKaos
Feb 7, 2011, 01:49 AM
http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=1326

There will be three points in time that AOTI users will be able to get their hands on a lottery code to get into the PSO2 alpha test. Here are the dates and requirements for each:

1. February 24: You must be a premium course player on February 20 or you must have bought 3,000 GC (or more) between January 1 and February 20.
2. Early April: You must be a premium course player on March 31 or you must have bought 3,000 GC (or more) between February 21 and March 31.
3. Early May: You must be a premium course player on April 30 or you must have bought 3,000 GC (or more) between April 1 and April 30.

A few cautionary notes:
* Make sure your account e-mail address is correct. If a code is sent to your address and you do not receive it due to an invalid e-mail address, the code will not be resent.
* Even if you meet multiple requirements, you will only receive one code.
* The Hangame and Xbox 360 versions of AOTI are not covered by this.

http://pso2.jp/
http://pso2.jp/alpha/

The requirements for PSOBB players are a bit simpler. You simply had to have purchased a Hunters License between January 1, 2010, and November 30, 2010, and a code will be sent to the e-mail registered to your account. (However, if you played through the Hangame version, you will not be included.)

Mike
Feb 7, 2011, 01:56 AM
That means two codes are coming my way. Hopefully I'll be able to register both codes. If not, oh well.

Wayu
Feb 7, 2011, 01:57 AM
May I have one? ^^

-Wayu

Checkmate
Feb 7, 2011, 02:16 AM
Have there been any information about non-JP region players being ineligible or blocked from access to Alpha Servers? Or is it just too early/soon for that kind of thing?

Niered
Feb 7, 2011, 03:28 AM
I honestly don't get the people that just want PSO with better graphics and more content. We got that, with Ep 2 and Blue Burst. Hell, we got that with Phantasy Star Zero.

And you know what? That little game we played over a decade ago, it hasn't aged as gracefully as your rose tinted glasses are leading you to believe. It's clunky and its dated. It's still good, not denying that, but releasing a game like that today would be like eschewing ten years of game design.

Oh wait, I guess sega did that with PSU.

I guess what I'm saying is, PSO cannot simply be re-released, and PSU was a step in the wrong direction, as was AoI, and PSP, and PSP2. I've heard all the arguements for PSP2 at this point, and the fact is, when it takes you 4 incarnations to get a game to the point that its playable, you were never "fixing" anything, you were polishing a turd the whole time.

So what we need is PSO2 to be fresh. It needs to be a modern action RPG, that takes everything that PSO (and the few thigns PSU) got right, and expand upon them.

But of course, MOST of you knew that already.

DarK-SuN
Feb 7, 2011, 04:21 AM
I might be getting two codes as well it seems, so far so good.

Anon_Fire
Feb 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
Looks like I better start going on Premium Course on the 20th.

Corey Blue
Feb 7, 2011, 09:36 AM
I honestly don't get the people that just want PSO with better graphics and more content. We got that, with Ep 2 and Blue Burst. Hell, we got that with Phantasy Star Zero.

And you know what? That little game we played over a decade ago, it hasn't aged as gracefully as your rose tinted glasses are leading you to believe. It's clunky and its dated. It's still good, not denying that, but releasing a game like that today would be like eschewing ten years of game design.

Oh wait, I guess sega did that with PSU.

I guess what I'm saying is, PSO cannot simply be re-released, and PSU was a step in the wrong direction, as was AoI, and PSP, and PSP2. I've heard all the arguements for PSP2 at this point, and the fact is, when it takes you 4 incarnations to get a game to the point that its playable, you were never "fixing" anything, you were polishing a turd the whole time.

So what we need is PSO2 to be fresh. It needs to be a modern action RPG, that takes everything that PSO (and the few thigns PSU) got right, and expand upon them.

But of course, MOST of you knew that already.

So fresh and so clean,clean.~

•Col•
Feb 7, 2011, 01:39 PM
Cool. Finally some news.

Too bad I'm getting the downloadable version though. :[

hewitt
Feb 7, 2011, 02:45 PM
Ugh, wish so bad I could get a code to get in to thatt alpha. Damn you SoJ!

ThEoRy
Feb 7, 2011, 05:29 PM
Long as one person here is in the alpha, I'm sure we'll have all the pictures, videos, early impressions we'll need.

Aerilas
Feb 7, 2011, 05:33 PM
I've never been so sad that I don't own a PSP or speak japanese...

Corey Blue
Feb 7, 2011, 05:37 PM
I sold my psp =(.(I never knew all these ps game's where coming though,I would have never sold it.)

Drawers
Feb 7, 2011, 07:31 PM
Ummm... no not standards. We need to have some advanced stuff going on. :L

pikachief
Feb 7, 2011, 08:34 PM
oh looks like im gonna keep subscribing until i get my code :D

Tyreek
Feb 7, 2011, 08:43 PM
Premium Users only huh? LOL Crud. I'm still up in the air about resubbing to JP PSU after my incident months ago. IF I do make it, rest assured, I'll be abusing the hell out of Youtube's upload feature for a good while. And maybe some screenies.

Mike
Feb 7, 2011, 10:05 PM
Got an email from the PSOBB address today about the alpha codes. The PSOBB related codes will also be distributed on the 24th of Feburary. That means the PSP2i codes, PSOBB codes, and first set of PSU codes will all come out on the same day.

keizeh
Feb 7, 2011, 11:24 PM
The biggest issue for me right now is this being JAPAN ONRY.
I don't mind if it's only for the Japanese versions getting the codes. But I'm worried if they will revoke you alpha status if they find out you're not Japanese.

Mike
Feb 8, 2011, 08:06 AM
The PSP2i blog (http://ameblo.jp/phantasy-star-portable2/entry-10794508356.html) has some information on the alpha codes and a bit on how the participants in the alpha test are picked. When you register a code, there is a questionaire to fill out. Your answers on this questionaire determine your chance to win a place in the alpha test. Things like having a PC that meets the minimum specs, having played previous Phantasy Star games, and having played a lot will make it more likely that you are chosen.

RenzokukenZ
Feb 8, 2011, 08:31 AM
Will one of the questions be about current region you are residing? (i.e. outside of Japan)

hewitt
Feb 8, 2011, 04:17 PM
The PSP2i blog (http://ameblo.jp/phantasy-star-portable2/entry-10794508356.html) has some information on the alpha codes and a bit on how the participants in the alpha test are picked. When you register a code, there is a questionaire to fill out. Your answers on this questionaire determine your chance to win a place in the alpha test. Things like having a PC that meets the minimum specs, having played previous Phantasy Star games, and having played a lot will make it more likely that you are chosen.

That seems kind of naive, people can just lie

landman
Feb 8, 2011, 05:22 PM
I'm surprised an Alpha will be ready that fast, they said they started development together with infinity, what would that be... 15 months? is that enough to show something good enough? and what worries me the most, if development is that "advanced", where is the western announcement? where is the global support? what this game needs the least is another case like PSU and PSP2, where players from the japanese server get all the content, while the rest of the world gets the left overs.

If they cared about the "global support" they would not limit that Alpha to the japanese players, there are plenty of players on the 360 server paying month after month their subscription, if PSP2i gets a code, there is no sense the other paying customers get nothing.

RemiusTA
Feb 8, 2011, 05:32 PM
hopefully it's been in development longer than that.

Unless it's just the core PSP2 engine modified, in which case they dont really have much to change outside animations and environments. Im praying its the former.

PSU might have discouraged them from even doing shit with us anymore. Not like they tried very hard, anyway.

NoiseHERO
Feb 8, 2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think we can worry about being screwed over...If we got psp1...

PSP that handheld nobody cared about untill square-enix started throwing stuff on it. and PSU that uber unpopular game in america...Then I'm sure we'll get PSO2...

As for the Alpha test...It doesn't surprise me if it's JP public knowledge only...I've only heard of alpha tests for games that interest me a few times in my whole life...

Now If we're not in the closed/open beta tests...that's another story... But even if we get the game later like we did psu, hopefully it'd still be "global support" other wise this game's gonna have to be REALLY. GOOD. If we wanna avoid psu drama all over again

As far as development...I just hope they don't screw up like PSU/FF14 and release to early...But at least FF14 pulled back to do some re-tweaking...

Corey Blue
Feb 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
hopefully it's been in development longer than that.

Unless it's just the core PSP2 engine modified, in which case they dont really have much to change outside animations and environments. Im praying its the former.

PSU might have discouraged them from even doing shit with us anymore. Not like they tried very hard, anyway.

Nuuuuuu DO NOT WANT that would be horrible wow,that would be the laziest shit,I mean I know the game is low budget but wow.(Also yeah we always get the short end of the stick,so if this shit aint global it already failed.)That's why I say pc only that's the only way I see it happening.(I could be wrong about the graphics but I really don't want this to look like PSU.) *I wonder how this game would be like cel shaded,might be kinda cool.*

Mike
Feb 8, 2011, 07:50 PM
That seems kind of naive, people can just lie
That's the way a lot of alphas/betas work and their is no naivity about it. At least for the ones I've participated in. You answer a survey about your machine and any experience you may have. This survery is then taken in to consideration when choosing testers. And they may just link your code with the account it was sent to so they can see how many hours you've put in to PSO or PSU.

hewitt
Feb 8, 2011, 09:42 PM
That's the way a lot of alphas/betas work and their is no naivity about it. At least for the ones I've participated in. You answer a survey about your machine and any experience you may have. This survery is then taken in to consideration when choosing testers. And they may just link your code with the account it was sent to so they can see how many hours you've put in to PSO or PSU.

Well if it's only taken into consideration, instead of determining whether you get in or not like your first post said, then it isn't naive. But if its the former, I don't see what there is to stop people from saying they have a great computer and have played every PS game to date.

Either way, I think it'd have been nice if they just took most of the longest playing people from the
JP and the NA servers of PSO and put them in the alpha. But eh. :(

adblog
Feb 9, 2011, 01:00 PM
good news.

AzureAsh
Feb 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
I don't see what there is to stop people from saying they have a great computer and have played every PS game to date.

I doubt they're exactly looking for the most hardcore fans with the best computers, they'll be looking for a wide range of fans, from their playing of the PS games to their computer specs.

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody that has only played PSU with a rather average computer got into the alpha.

Mike
Feb 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
The codes from PSOBB have been sent out. I just got mine.

NoiseHERO
Feb 24, 2011, 01:03 AM

Nice, hope more pso-worlders get in so we can get plenty of info. >3>;;

Dragwind
Feb 24, 2011, 01:18 AM

Very nice. As usual, may we assume you'll provide us with some tasty content?

Mike
Feb 24, 2011, 02:12 AM
Very nice. As usual, may we assume you'll provide us with some tasty content?
If possible, yes.

Kaziel
Feb 24, 2011, 02:19 AM
If possible, yes.

Right. They're just tickets for the alpha raffle, not tickets for the alpha.

Entry period will be from "February 24, 2011 [until] May 20th, [2011]"

We will hear the winners supposedly in mid-June.

Mike
Feb 24, 2011, 02:26 AM
Right. They're just tickets for the alpha raffle, not tickets for the alpha.
Which is why I said "if possible."

Kaziel
Feb 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
Which is why I said "if possible."

... which is why I was backing your post and just clarifying & informing for the people who didn't know. s: