PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 vs. Your Rig - What will YOU do?

AzureBlaze
Feb 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
Given the liklihood of a PC release for this...
What are YOU willing to do to be able to play it if there's no console release? I mean...do you think it's going to be super-high end graphics? ST was never particularly known for pushing any envelopes there...speed maybe but horsepower?

If it has graphics that require you to buy a new card, would you?
What if it takes a new PC (you had an old non-gaming one)?
Will you get a new & larger screen to see it with?
Buy a controller type USB thinger so you don't need to push keys?

I think the PC I have should be able to handle it...I got a pretty nice one when the old one expired a couple years back. But if somehow it won't handle it....I'm pretty sure I'd buy another to play it if it made me. The monitor? I don't know...I mean it seems kind of dissapointing if you have like a 55 TV and then you have to go to a 22 to play a game. Is there really a solution to that?

I confess, I bought a PSP just to play the PSUs on it, and I never regretted it even once. With the fun I am still having on there, I think it was a great move. I expect PSO2 to be nothing short of amazing--so naturally I'm willing to 'go far in getting stuff' for it. I think...even now before we even know a whole lot. That and I'm so tired of portables, tiny screens, no in-game community and no talking in-game.

So...
How do you think your rig will hold up? Killer graphics or not?
What steps will you take? Specs are sure to be announced in plenty of time to do something about it. It may be too early to tell, but I'm just excited enough to ask.

RenzokukenZ
Feb 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
Watch as people spend $300+ on graphic/sound cards on release day and within a month's time, a console version comes out. So much rage.

BIG OLAF
Feb 15, 2011, 08:57 PM
My computer isn't designed for gaming at all. It's purely a web-browsing PC. Therefor, it doesn't matter what kind of graphics PSO2 has, I'll need to get a new computer (can't upgrade laptop's graphics card, or anything). Only problem is...

...I most likely won't have even close to enough money. So, I might have to sit PSO2 out for a while, because I doubt I'll have sufficient funds for a new laptop or desktop, even by the time the game is released.

McLaughlin
Feb 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
My PC can run most current games on max or high, so I think I'll be safe for PSO2 if I get it for PC.

That said, PSU is pretty resource intensive as I recall, and that game is far from technically impressive.

Dongra
Feb 15, 2011, 09:08 PM
Watch as people spend $300+ on graphic/sound cards on release day and within a month's time, a console version comes out. So much rage.
Because it's not like they couldn't possibly use a new graphics card for other games besides PSO2.:rolleyes:
If PSO2 is really going to put a strain on my computer, which is unlikely, then I'll buy a new one since I already planned on doing so within the next year. However, paying off my car and other future expenses comes first.

FOkyasuta
Feb 15, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hell no. Thankfully things are kinda looking out for me.

NoiseHERO
Feb 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
If I want to play on a huge monitor *Stares @ widescreen tv* (Seriously if you have tried this you should, it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo shiny.)

I have my PS2/PS3 usb plug thingy for a controller...

But if this game requires up-to-date power...I might end up playing on super low-end graphic settings....and If I'm lucky the game will be playable....

Padium
Feb 15, 2011, 09:59 PM
I will lol as it bows down in defeat to my Phenom II X6, and if I have to upgrade my graphics card, I'll cry tears of ultradespair but go crossfire...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Feb 15, 2011, 10:03 PM
Watch as people spend $300+ on graphic/sound cards on release day and within a month's time, a console version comes out. So much rage.Watch as no one with two neurons to rub together does this because console versions would be announced more than a month in advance.

Anyway, I reckon I'll be able to run it quite well. I really doubt the game will be so amazing graphically that I'll need more than my Radeon 4850.

Ezodagrom
Feb 15, 2011, 10:29 PM
Since a PC version has been already confirmed, no way I would get a console version, if there will be any. I prefer PC gaming instead (I only have a Wii anyway).
I currently have a fine mid-range PC, it should be able to handle PSO2.
The specs of my current PC are:
AMD Phenom II X2 550BE (3.1GHz, dual-core) for the CPU, Sapphire Radeon HD4850 Vapor-X 512MB GDDR3 for the Graphics Card, 4GB DDR2 800MHz CL4 for the RAM memory, a 19" display with resolution 1440x900, and I have two 500GB Hard Drives.

If PSO2 turns out to be more demanding than what I'm expecting (I want to be able to enjoy PSO2 with high quality settings :3), my current rig has a possible upgrade path, I don't have to replace everything at the same time (unlike Intel systems, which have been constantly getting new sockets with no possible upgrade path). ^^;
1. Replace current Socket AM2+ motherboard with a Socket AM3+ motherboard and replace current DDR2 memories with DDR3 memories.
1.5. With the motherboard and memory being replaced I could consider a new power supply, case, and CPU cooler, since replacing the motherboard requires me to takes many of the components out of the case.
2. Replace processor with a new AMD Vision Ultimate FX or Vision Black FX, depending on price.
2.5. Together with the new CPU I could also get new SATA 6Gbps hard drives, to replace my current SATA 3Gbps ones.
3. Replace graphics card with a future AMD Radeon HD7000 series, or a current HD6000 series if the HD7000 aren't released before the middle of next year.

SolitaryEcho
Feb 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
My PC is ready.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
At that point you might as well build a new computer.

If everything goes to plan, my future computer should run it just fine. This computer? No chance.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Feb 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
Since a PC version has been already confirmed, no way I would get a console version, if there will be any. I prefer PC gaming instead (I only have a Wii anyway).Are you me?

I mean, shit, our computers are almost identical too, except I have a Core 2 Quad and a slightly bigger monitor.

Seth Astra
Feb 16, 2011, 12:02 AM
I will upgrade a few parts and get more bandwith if needed, but that's about it. I already have maxed RAM for my current setup, supposidly, though, so that's one thing I WON'T have to do.

venn2010
Feb 16, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hmm... in my case... I would just sit out. I love PSO, but I'm not that mad about gaming anymore. The world is a big place & there are other games to play. I missed out on PSU. And WoW. And Dragon Age. And Mass Effect. And etc, etc. Nobody cared (including myself). So, this time too, I shall just spend money somewhere else.

Ezodagrom
Feb 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
Are you me?

I mean, shit, our computers are almost identical too, except I have a Core 2 Quad and a slightly bigger monitor.
Haha...
Well, if I didn't knew about the soon to be released Bulldozer CPUs, I would have probably replaced my Phenom II X2 with a Phenom II X4 955 months ago (which is comparable to the Core 2 Quad Q9550).

Zyrusticae
Feb 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
My PC is built to run Crysis on Very High with 1680x1050 resolution with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering enabled with an over-30 frame rate.

Will I need an upgrade? Hah. Hahahahahaha! Funny.

(For the curious, I'm running a Q8300 @ 2.8GHz, 6GBs of PC-6400 DDR2, and two GTX 260s in SLI. Yay parallelism!)

Justyn_Darkcrest
Feb 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
If it stays PC only, then sadly I'll be sitting this game out. By the time I could afford a new PC I wouldn't be as interested in it and probably have many other games to play. (Plus better things to spend my money on).

chibiLegolas
Feb 17, 2011, 04:54 PM
If PSO2 does end up being PC only, I'll upgrade SOMETHING to be able to play it.
My main concern is the comfort setup I have in my livingroom, which my office lacks.

Option 1: Upgrade office w/ new chair, monitor, microphone & any techno upgrades my computer would need to run it.

Option 2: Upgrade PC to run game, and connect it somehow to the livingroom TV.

Option 3: Buy cheap computer/laptop for sole purpose of playing/streaming games/movies through my TV.

Tetsaru
Feb 19, 2011, 07:22 AM
I intend to build a new PC eventually because mine is getting old, but I'd need to save up a lot of money first to make a really badass one. I'm currently unemployed, and most of the money I did have from Christmas/birthday went towards replacing a broken PS3, and getting LBP2 and MVC3, lol. Fortunately, I don't know of any other games coming out soon that I'd be "OMG MUST HAVE NAO" about.

If a PS3 version of PSO2 was announced, I'd consider getting it instead of PC, but my main concern would be whether or not people on different consoles could play alongside each other in-game.

Kion
Feb 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm planning on buying a computer next summer anyways. Basically I want a dual core (i3 or i5), 4GB of DDR3 memory and at least a 512MB graphics card. The Sony Vaio J has all of that in one sexy looking package, and the nice part about Japan is they also have supplemented internet plans, so I can get 300$ off the computer (it'll be right around the time my current 2 year plan runs up) which will probably be much cheaper than building the thing myself.

Edit: Also I don't have a PS3, so I haven't looked into the homebrew scene. But with all of the hacking going on with Geohot getting the keys, is there anyways to install windows xp or something on a ps3?

Ezodagrom
Feb 19, 2011, 02:26 PM
and at least a 512MB graphics card
The amount of memory on a graphics card doesn't really matter much, there are awful cards with like 1GB of memory and great cards with 512MB.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 20, 2011, 01:03 AM
I just hope I can run it on minimum settings on a laptop.

That's all I want. Q_Q

NoiseHERO
Feb 20, 2011, 02:41 AM
I just hope I can run it on minimum settings on a laptop.

That's all I want. Q_Q

OMG it's you...YOU! D<

Gatz the guy who has the same name as my robot character "GATZ." D<

You will pay for your sins against humanity!

Mr Champloo
Feb 21, 2011, 12:35 AM
I just built a 1500$ Computer.

Haf Case
8GB of DDR3
5TB Hardrive + 500 GB Hardrive (( for windows. ))
Intel Quad Core 3.5 GHZ
Duel Nvida Geforce 280GTX

Plus other little stuff

Blu-ray Player,Capture card,Cooling system,DVD Player and burner,CD Player and burner and so on.

I MIGHT be ok. ^^

Kaziel
Feb 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Because it's not like they couldn't possibly use a new graphics card for other games besides PSO2.:rolleyes:

Exactly. Besides... I've spent a good amount of money towards a *chance* to get into the PSO2 Japanese test, so spending more money on my rig (which is doubtful, since it's already sexy) isn't something I'd QQ over. If it comes out for any other console, it wouldn't ever be as powerful or versatile as our high-end machines.

MOAR POWER.

Randomness
Feb 21, 2011, 11:37 AM
I can't really see my computer having issues with it really. It'd have to be Crysis level for me to worry, even though I'm using a laptop.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 21, 2011, 11:42 AM
OMG it's you...YOU! D<

Gatz the guy who has the same name as my robot character "GATZ." D<

You will pay for your sins against humanity!

As I recall, my Gatz was capped at the time, created first, and had at least 1000 hours on yours. Also, I was quite benevolent towards humanity. Newmanity, Beastanity, and Castanity, too.

I just built a 1500$ Computer.

Haf Case
8GB of DDR3
5TB Hardrive + 500 GB Hardrive (( for windows. ))
Intel Quad Core 3.5 GHZ
Duel Nvida Geforce 280GTX

Plus other little stuff

Blu-ray Player,Capture card,Cooling system,DVD Player and burner,CD Player and burner and so on.

I MIGHT be ok. ^^

If that doesn't work out for you, there are going to be a lot of people here who will be shelling out at least $500 on new parts, myself included.

Kaziel
Feb 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
If that doesn't work out for you, there are going to be a lot of people here who will be shelling out at least $500 on new parts, myself included.

if that doesn't work, SEGA can rule out half their players. The ideal market of an MMO is to apply to a large range of players, not just the extreme high-end. From what I've seen, generally (not looking at you, PSU) MMOs often support mid-range graphics to get the largest population *coughcash-flowcough*. People shouldn't worry too hard about spending $1,000 on something new, if you're smart, I bet you can spend about $300~500 (console price) and get an entry-level machine(relative to Q4 2011) to run PSO2.

Though, on the entry-level, you can expect no AA or any extra-features, but at least you can play the game.

Kimil Adrayne
Feb 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
I am currently a poor University Student in my final semester. Once I pay off my loans enough to have some money to play with, I want to buy a state of the art gaming rig. Until I'm done school though, I'll have to wait.

oifjustus
Mar 4, 2011, 11:07 PM
Luckily for me I just purchased a new alienware laptop a couple of months ago which i've barely used.. but as soon as PSO2 launches i'll break it in ;).

DoubleJG
Mar 5, 2011, 12:07 AM
I need to update my laptop, so PSO2 may be the final push I need.

LK1721
Mar 6, 2011, 03:33 PM
I think my laptop is good enough to handle it since it is ready and able to handle most of the newer games that have higher-end graphics. If not I'll be hogging my dad's desktop since he's getting a nice fancy gaming one soon. Already got a USB Xbox360 controller so I don't have to worry about that ;D.

landman
Mar 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
I think my two years old i7 will be able to handle it, at the most I would need to buy a new pair of graphic cards.

The monitor? I don't know...I mean it seems kind of dissapointing if you have like a 55 TV and then you have to go to a 22 to play a game. Is there really a solution to that?

You can also play your PC on your TV, I do this with most games (only strategy and the like games I play them on a monitor where small text is easier to read)

AzureBlaze
Mar 9, 2011, 12:34 AM
How do you get the PC onto the TV?
I know there's a PC input hole in there but what wire do you buy? Does the brand matter? I know hdmi cables can be a huge ripoff.
Also, how could typing/talking be handled that way if the TV's not in the room with the PC?

I want to be super sure to be ready for this greatness when it comes out, but up till now I've been fairly low-tech/old-tech

Arkios
Mar 9, 2011, 03:18 AM
How do you get the PC onto the TV?
I know there's a PC input hole in there but what wire do you buy? Does the brand matter? I know hdmi cables can be a huge ripoff.
Also, how could typing/talking be handled that way if the TV's not in the room with the PC?

I want to be super sure to be ready for this greatness when it comes out, but up till now I've been fairly low-tech/old-tech

It depends on the inputs for your TV and the outputs on your PC. In my opinion unless you have a digital output from your PC, then it's going to look like crap on your TV (DVI or HDMI out).

The PC has to be in the same room, or you need a cable long enough to reach the TV. You could always use a wireless keyboard/mouse if you're worried about the distance.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=connecting+a+pc+to+tv

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
My TV and PC have those same monitor input, Comes out perfect for everything except videos look horrible.

(It's also more fun to draw in photoshop this way, if you're a digital artist.)

landman
Mar 9, 2011, 01:18 PM
D-Sub + mini-jack connected to the TV is good enough, my TV only has an HDMI input so I save the HDMI for the consoles. In the worst of the cases, if you don't even have an HD-TV, some cards also have an S-video output, but I doubt most games today would run at that low resolution...

Wireles keyboards, just like with consoles, mouse, not very different, or you could also use a wii-mote lol

Randomness
Mar 9, 2011, 03:22 PM
My laptop has HDMI out, so if I want to play on a TV it's pretty easy, I just take the PS3's HDMI cord.