PDA

View Full Version : Game Art of Videogames: Vote for Phantasy Star! (and your other favorites)

King_Yoshi42
Feb 20, 2011, 02:11 AM
http://www.artofvideogames.org/

The Smithsonian Museum is making an exhibit on videogames!
(for those not aware, it's one of the US's biggest Art Museums)

And YOU can vote on which games make the exhibit!

So go vote for your favorite games, and more importantly, games in the Phantasy Star series! Show support for the series and make Phantasy Star top the charts!

Note: You need an email address to vote. If you don't want to give it out, I suggest making a temporary one. (http://www.guerrillamail.com/)

Sinue_v2
Feb 20, 2011, 02:24 AM
As much as I like the art and atmosphere of Phantasy Star Classic/PSO, I don't think Phantasy Star really qualifies in this regard, and I wouldn't vote for it over a more deserving game franchise simply because it's one of my favorite series. Objectively, when it comes to JRPGs, SquareSoft/SquareEnix takes the cake when it comes to advancing a visual art medium... because like them or not, FFVII started a revolution in the way RPGs are made and presented that turned the genre from niche to staple pretty much overnight, and it's influence is still nearly omnipresent in today's JRPG game market.

The best case you could make for Phantasy Star is with the classics... using 3D dungeons, animated sprites, strong character based plotlines... but I don't think that was as influential to the industry as Square's FMV eyegasms and standard of graphical excellence (even if at the cost of gameplay).

Sorry. I can't, in good conscience, vote for Phantasy Star in this type of poll.

Funfact though: Yu Suzuki's Virtua Fighter was recognized for it's breakthrough use of 3D graphics back in 1993, being the first Japanese Video Game to receive such accolades and has been granted a permanent place in their research collection on information technology. :)

joefro
Feb 20, 2011, 02:43 AM
Some of those nominations made me cringe and they should have sorted the games by console exclusive and multiplatform.

Delete
Feb 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
First name that comes to mind is Mario.

BIG OLAF
Feb 20, 2011, 03:42 PM
I only voted in the Generation 5 category, as that's the only category that pertains to my interests. I voted for the games that I believe had the most original and/or most well-done art styles for each platform. My choices, if anyone was curious:

Xbox: Psychonauts, Fable, Xyanide, Splinter Cell
Xbox 360: Gears of War 2, Mass Effect 2, Geometry Wars 2, LotR: BFME 2
Windows PC: Half Life 2, Fallout 3, Shatter, Starcraft 2
Gamecube: Eternal Darkness, LoZ: The Wind Waker, Alien Hominid, Pikmin 2
Wii: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Paper Mario, Boom Blox, Battalion Wars 2
PS2: Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Gradius V, Metal Gear Solid 2
PS3: LittleBigPlanet2, Heavy Rain, PixelJunk Shooter, Brutal Legend

And I chucked a vote in for PSO (Era 4) and PSIV (Era 3), too. Just because. I don't think PSO deserved it, but whatever. I do that PSIV deserves a vote, though.

I tried to go with games that were all different from each other, but still well-done, since it's supposed to be an exhibit that shows all forms of video game art.

ARASHIKAGE
Feb 20, 2011, 06:25 PM
@King_Yoshi: Thanks for this info, it's fun to vote on our favorite games. And yes that's how I treat this voting; I pick my favorites. I don't care how over hyped a game was, if I played a game that was more enjoyable to me than another "epic" game, it will get my vote.

The toughest vote I made was in Era 3, Adventure Genre the choices are:
Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, or Earthbound.
That is a tough choice to make.

Randomness
Feb 20, 2011, 06:39 PM
@King_Yoshi: Thanks for this info, it's fun to vote on our favorite games. And yes that's how I treat this voting; I pick my favorites. I don't care how over hyped a game was, if I played a game that was more enjoyable to me than another "epic" game, it will get my vote.

The toughest vote I made was in Era 3, Adventure Genre the choices are:
Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, or Earthbound.
That is a tough choice to make.

I predict the winner as LttP, simply because its Zelda. Chrono Trigger is probably what I'd vote for though, because I love RPGs and Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs ever.

Split
Feb 20, 2011, 08:04 PM
Really don't feel like making an account, but everyone vote for ICO and/or Killer 7 if they're in there.

BIG OLAF
Feb 20, 2011, 08:21 PM
Really don't feel like making an account, but everyone vote for ICO and/or Killer 7 if they're in there.

Literally all you you do is enter your E-mail. That's it. Then you can vote.

Randomness
Feb 20, 2011, 10:11 PM
Having started to vote, I ran into a dilemma. PSO or Skies of Arcadia? I only voted for PSO because of my enjoyment running with my brother offline. Sad to see Skies have to be in the same group.

Why the hell is Tri listed under adventure? Monster Hunter should be under the action category, seriously...

And I desperately want to see Shadow of the Colossus win. Because that game deserves being showcased in the Smithsonian. 16 enemies. In the entire game. And it still takes like 20 hours to beat it, and not one minute is boring.

McLaughlin
Feb 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
Shadow of the Colossus was probably the best PS2 game I played (including God of War). Easily one of the best games from the last generation.

Split
Feb 21, 2011, 12:01 AM
Literally all you you do is enter your E-mail. That's it. Then you can vote.Wayyy too much work :wacko:

BIG OLAF
Feb 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
Wayyy too much work :wacko:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rjtr92WzMCo/SnDiVI8IvzI/AAAAAAAAAgM/5xMNIxGMV6M/s400/headdesk.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

RenzokukenZ
Feb 21, 2011, 02:39 AM
...Why in Video Game God's name is E.T. even an option for Era 1?

If anything, it should be in an archaeology exibit. I'm sure they can dig up E.T. fossils in the dessert. :wacko:

EDIT: Dammit, now I'm torn between voting for Lunar:SSSC or Final Fantasy Tactics, two of my favorite games of all time.

ARASHIKAGE
Feb 22, 2011, 03:47 PM
Gamecube: LoZ: The Wind Waker
That was the other tough choice category, Wind Walker or Tales of Symphonia. I obliviously went with ToS because it is my favorite RPG of all time, but Wind Walker (believe it or not) was my favorite Zelda. The Cell Shade didn't bug me, in fact it opened up LoZ to a new (big) world and another great adventure/puzzle experience.

I predict the winner as LttP, simply because its Zelda. Chrono Trigger is probably what I'd vote for though, because I love RPGs and Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs ever.

Agreed, and I did pick Chrono Trigger, it's a better RPG that changed the RPG format, it's style will forever be copied.

...Why in Video Game God's name is E.T. even an option for Era 1?

If anything, it should be in an archaeology exibit. I'm sure they can dig up E.T. fossils in the dessert. :wacko:

Yeah wtf! E.T. is the hands down the worst video game ever made and almost was responsible for the death of the video game industry! And it would have been if it wasn't for a little koopa stompin plumer and a real life hands on: R.O.B.

amtalx
Feb 22, 2011, 04:38 PM
I haven't looked at the nominees, but Okami should win everything.

King_Yoshi42
Feb 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
I think by far the hardest choice was the N64 Adventure games, just to have an opinion.
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Paper Mario? Those were the best games for the system! My favorite system, at that.

Other than that, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and ALttP were also hard to choose one from, played all three and loved em. Earthbound should win though just for it's sheer oddity

I was hoping the community would be all for supporting the series they're on the forum for, but I suppose some of you have a point about other choices being just as good. Still, we ARE a PSO community.

@amtalx: Not surprisingly, Okami IS one of the things you can vote on, and yes, I agree, Okami's art syyle deserves a spot no matter what.