PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary

Outrider
Feb 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm a little late with this, but 2/21/11 marks the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda. It's come a long way since the days of the original game, but at it's heart, the series still has the same sense of exploration and imagination that it's always had.

I figured I'd make a thread so everyone can talk about any fond memories from the games in the past or hopes for the series' future. I know a lot of people hold Zelda in high regard on the forums (personally, it's probably my favorite game series), so please feel free to share the love.

Also, I needed an excuse to post this masterpiece that has been floating around the internet today:

(Warning - image is huge)
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/sj4Vy.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Xefi
Feb 22, 2011, 12:59 AM
Happy 25th Anniversary, The Legend of Zelda! the first Zelda game
i've ever played was "A Link to the Past." i still have fond memories
of that game. great music as well. love that farm music. :3

EDIT: that's one long picture, Outrider, but it looks fantastic and is very nicely done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUXsqx0gRI&feature=related

BIG OLAF
Feb 22, 2011, 01:00 AM
That picture might be the single most epic thing I've ever seen in my life.

I like how the 3 Goddesses (Din, Farore, and Nayru) are at the very top, silhouetted against the light.

Seth Astra
Feb 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
That pic was epic. Been a fan ever since the GBA remake of Link to the Past. That's still probably one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorites. 2D LoZ's need to go back to that.

Linka
Feb 22, 2011, 01:16 AM
...*points to own username*...big duh on where that name came from. username is due to my PSPo2 main by the same name, who was originally made in PSU, and designed to be a female PSU/PSPo2 incarnation of Link. been playing since Z1 on the NES. literally raised on LoZ. played every real zelda game so far. not counting dumb CGI ones.

yeah, even played Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures. still have both. haven't beaten the first one, as i only had one chance to play it. while on a plane after staying at my grandma's for some amount of time i don't recall, a girl i met on the plane played FS with me abit.

by the way, imma make a suggestion. try a fangame called Zelda Classic. great game. started as a copy of Z1, but has grown far beyond that since then. you can make your own quests, and everything. people have pushed its boundaries beyond what the makers thought it was capable of, even adding classic megaman style cutscenes. i've seen quests based on mario, on metroid, and megaman....even warcraft! maybe someone here can try it, and make one based on PSU, or PSPo2? XD. that'd be amusing.

Tyreek
Feb 22, 2011, 01:41 AM
OMG that is a ridiculous homage. I need to share this with my friends lol.

BIG OLAF
Feb 22, 2011, 01:45 AM
I already popped it up on my Facebook. All my friends are having intense nerdgasms.

NeonaPulsar
Feb 22, 2011, 02:11 AM
A Master Piece indeed !!!

*shares love for Zelda*

SpikeOtacon
Feb 22, 2011, 02:24 AM
I'm one of those weirdos who liked Majora's Mask more than OoT or any of the other Zelda games for that matter.

But man, it was so good. Happy 25th!

RenzokukenZ
Feb 22, 2011, 06:57 AM
Interesting how the Mask Salesman is at the neutral point in that AMAZING homage. Only the truest of true fan can make something so beautiful. I nearly cried, and that's no lie.

Happy 25th, LoZ!

Split
Feb 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
That image just made me cream. What does that make me?

Happy 25th to one of the only properties Nintendo hasn't seemed to betray or push into the periphery yet.

I'm one of those weirdos who liked Majora's Mask more than OoT or any of the other Zelda games for that matter.

But man, it was so good. Happy 25th!I would go as far as to agree that it's better than Ocarina, but at the same time, it shares so many assets and important story links (PUN LOL) with that game that it couldn't exist without its predecessor. I don't know about every game though, but maybe that's just because I'm one of those weirdos who liked Wind Waker the best out of every Zelda game.

Linka
Feb 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
...actually, i agree. out of the main games, WW was easily my favorite. out of all of them, though, my fav is Four Swords Adventures. one's known for wacky humor, the other's known for causing a flash series with epic-level wacky humor. for example, Chateau Romani from majora's mask being an alchoholic drink.

Rashiid
Feb 22, 2011, 09:27 AM
I liked Windwaker the best as well. Glad I'm not the only one.

Kaziel
Feb 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
OoT and TP were probably my top two, but I'm defnietly having high hopes for Skyward Sword. It looks promising.

Also, the OoT remake for the 3DS, hell yeah! That's exciting. (:

Happy 25th fer sheur.

Randomness
Feb 22, 2011, 11:52 AM

Majora's Mask just has so much more depth to the world than OoT does. Even if its a smaller world.

But that image is incredibly epic. Top is the goddesses, based on their apearances as the oracles in the GBC games... sages... and just so many little things. I even see the one guy from Spirit Tracks halfway down. The bosses from the Oracle games. A giant Gohma eye. There's a few areas that are very distinct, like the goddesses/sages, the Moon/Giants, the Link/Zelda/Ganondorf, a collection of final bosses with Gohma over it..

Yes, nerdgasm is a good word for this. I'm now saving it. I'd like to crop part out for a new desktop. Is there a higher-res version you can link to? That one's not wide enough :(

-Crokar-
Feb 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
i have this in my room

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/thefuzzyone2/fiercedeitylink_statue.jpg

Dongra
Feb 22, 2011, 12:50 PM

I'm going to agree with you on that. I enjoyed MM the most out of the series. The game had many fun side quests that made up for the lack of dungeons and being able to play as various races is just something that makes this game stand out above the others.

Outrider
Feb 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm now saving it. I'd like to crop part out for a new desktop. Is there a higher-res version you can link to? That one's not wide enough :(

That's the only version I had, though I saw that Kotaku has a link to the original posting.

Apparently some Redditers are trying to get in touch with the original artist to see if he'd be willing to supply a hi-res version or even sell it as a print. If he does either (or preferably both!) I'd be very happy.

Tyreek
Feb 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
And I noticed Fierce Deity/Shadow Link on opposite sides at the very bottom. Well, they did say Fierce Deity did hold evil magic.

ARASHIKAGE
Feb 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
@Outrider: That is a really awesome picture, I want that hanging in a frame somewhere at my house.

Skyward Sword woot! I can't wait for that game, it sounds like the creator had a lot of fun with it and I heard they were bringing back a Wind Walker weapon. Also the sword play might play the same as Wii Sports Resort (award winning game) and I sure had a blast running down vacationers with a nurf sword in that game, I wonder how that will feel in SS...

Randomness
Feb 22, 2011, 05:57 PM
@Outrider: That is a really awesome picture, I want that hanging in a frame somewhere at my house.

Skyward Sword woot! I can't wait for that game, it sounds like the creator had a lot of fun with it and I heard they were bringing back a Wind Walker weapon. Also the sword play might play the same as Wii Sports Resort (award winning game) and I sure had a blast running down vacationers with a nurf sword in that game, I wonder how that will feel in SS...

The only Wind Waker weapon I can see coming back with an adult Link is the grappling hook's swinging version. That is, of items that are original to WW.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Feb 22, 2011, 08:26 PM

im right there with you!

and for some reason i cant see the image.... dammit, and WW is my second

Tyreek
Feb 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
BTW Outrider, do you know who the artist of this piece is?

Split
Feb 22, 2011, 08:39 PM

Skyward Sword woot! I can't wait for that game, it sounds like the creator had a lot of fun with it and I heard they were bringing back a Wind Walker weapon. Also the sword play might play the same as Wii Sports Resort (award winning game) and I sure had a blast running down vacationers with a nurf sword in that game, I wonder how that will feel in SS...I've read a few previews from various sites (GI, IGN) and they all say that the sword, along with every other piece of equipment in Skyward Sword, is literally perfect 1:1 motion. They all emphasised that fact because the controls didn't work so well during parts of the E3, but apparently that was just because of cell phone interference from the crowd. Supposedly it's even better than the fencing in Wii Sports Resort (which was admittedly pretty fun, even though I only got the game for the motion+ attachment that should've been built into the controller when the system first launched. *Sigh*...another day, another rant).

SpikeOtacon
Feb 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
Found a much bigger version of the picture, linked here (http://steam-punk.net/zelda_25th_anniversary.jpg) because it's 7MB.

Firocket1690
Feb 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
started on Oracle for GBC, and everything just snowballed.

Still never got around to finishing Master Quest, but I'll get to it when I'm free. Havn't played anything past TP.

Edit: Not sure if it counts as fond memories, but whatever.

When I was like, 6. I loved playing Duck Hunt on my godfather's NES. I'd be shootin' them ducks up like .. a 6 year old. I'd see him like, once every few months. One time I visited him, he didn't have his NES anymore. Turns out he was skipping work to play Legend of Zelda. His wife threw the console out. Damn you, Zelda, had it not been that game, I would've inherited an NES.

For years, I never understood the popularity of the Zelda games; never had one. I received Oracle of Seasons for my birthday the .. whatever year it came out. And it went on and on..

AlexCraig
Feb 22, 2011, 10:31 PM
I started way back on Link's Awakening, then got A Link to the Past. To this day, ALTTP is still my most favorite video game.

Outrider
Feb 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
BTW Outrider, do you know who the artist of this piece is?

Kotaku credited the artist as "ag+" from a Japanese image sharing site called pixiv. That's the best I've got.

Randomness
Feb 23, 2011, 12:31 AM
I found a larger image, 1200 pixels wide.

And I made a new desktop.

Linka
Feb 23, 2011, 01:22 AM
Still never got around to finishing Master Quest, but I'll get to it when I'm free. Havn't played anything past TP.

well, trust me. every time i went thru MQ version, one puzzle in the spirit temple baffled me. every...damn...time.

Split
Feb 23, 2011, 01:38 AM
BTW Outrider, do you know who the artist of this piece is?This is his page. Has more Zelda-type stuff on it.

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=900067