PDA

View Full Version : x360 BenQ Open Disk Error; Pot tweak question

Sinue_v2
Mar 4, 2011, 12:50 AM
Just a quick question for anyone who might have tried this, or is familiar with this method. I've read that the nominal kohms range is somewhere between 5.0 and 3.2, with lowering the resistance any further causing a risk of blowing out the diode. When I checked my multimeter before the tweak, the value was at 3.2kohms... right on the recommended lowest resistance, so (thinking it's good and well fucked at this point) I lowered it down to 2.9 to see what would happen.

Well I didn't blow the diode yet, but I haven't improved it's performance either. I can't imagine raising the resistance would be beneficial if the laser is losing power, and I don't want to risk lowering it any further. So maybe I'm just not familiar enough with what I'm doing, but would raising the resistance up to around 3.5~4 kohms help in any fashion? I'm really not keen on the idea of lowering it any further than it is, since if you can get a disk to spin up it runs pretty flawlessly - suggesting that it's got plenty of power to reliably read when it gets to that point, and I only want to get a new drive if absolutely necessary (I suck at soldering, and there is little to no color coding on the wiring... so I'm not looking forward to swapping controller boards)

Also, I doubt it, but would adjusting the potentiometer for the CD have effect on the DVD's performance? I haven't put a CD in the system in years, so I don't know how reliably those recognize when they first spin up.

(Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't bork my old Dreamcast doing the same tweak years back blindly without a multimeter.)