PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Newman Ranger or Vanguard??

XxGoregrinderxX
Mar 5, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hi.

Im a Male NEwman Force at the Moment.
Can i use a NEwman with the Ranger or Vanguard type??
Does the NEwman Ranger or Vanguard does high damage?
Which Weapons are good for those types?

I hope ou can answer my questions.

Chaos Rappy
Mar 5, 2011, 06:24 PM
All four classes can be all four types. Some are just better than others at certain things.

Depends. They have good ACC, but not good ATP. They're better than Humans on ACC (IIRC), not so much as ATK, but not better than CASTs at either.

Every weapon can be used by everyone. Just so long as you have the Extend Points.

XxGoregrinderxX
Mar 5, 2011, 06:28 PM
Thx Chaosmaster.
Any other ideas?

Chaos Rappy
Mar 5, 2011, 06:35 PM
Vanguards are okay. They have godly EVP thanks to the good combo there, but that's about all that gets aided by being VA. But VA's are pretty much godly anyways with their EX traps, so it doesn't matter.

XxGoregrinderxX
Mar 5, 2011, 06:45 PM
I hope that Wayu answers this thread.
He/she (i dont know) can give me some tips for a Newman VA.

ChaosAngel92
Mar 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
Funny you ask, I'm in process of leveling and a male newman vanguard.

Vanguards are pretty much broken due to the usage of traps, but they are limited so you need something to back you up for weak enemies right?
Depends on what you want to use. I'm currently trying to master once and for all the "melee/technic" combo, much like a FOmar but with a newman. The Vanguard class is the best to do this, since they are well balanced in both magis and melee, and their high EVP allow them to do the job without interruption.

However, the problem I have been facing is what kind of techs to use. Some seem to work for vanguard pretty good like "Damgrants", that builds chain like mad. "Dambarta" has always been the best ice technique, and "Nosdiga" is good cause it chases enemies around. Other than those, the rest are pretty much useless to me, however Infinity will improve vanguards technique, since SAfoie is something very much like Gifoie used to be on PSO. Cast a lot of fireballs around you while you move killing everything at your surroundings.

As for melee weapon, Vanguards are the best option for single handed weapons.
IMO, Whips are slow and weak, daggers are pretty meh, claws are godly, and the slicer was so nerfed that is quite useless for me now. There is nothing better like the good ol saber.

Don't forget Shifta/Deband and Zalure. They are a must have for a vanguard in order to do a lot of damage.

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hai gaiz. I'm a girl, if you haven't bothered checking my gender.

Newman Vanguards have the highest EVP of...well, anything, so exploit that.

Don't get dependent on EVP, though. While it's nice to take no damage from mostly everything, you'll become utterly useless under other conditions if you can't adapt to Just Blocking and Dodging. EVP should be a back-up, not your main point of defense.

If you do chose to go Vanguard, you main role is to chainchainchain. Your melee damage isn't very significant if you're online, so let others do the killing. You're not the DD (damage dealer) or the support. Hunters and Forces take the role of dealing out damage, while you're paired up with Rangers and support Forces in weakening enemies so that the Hunter can finish them up.

-Wayu

Linka
Mar 6, 2011, 01:37 AM
although later on if you can get ahold of any weapons with Incapacitate effect, use them. my main, Linka, is a female newman vanguard, and for awhile all i could really use on A runs was a magana slayer/breaker/whatever. then again, i'm limited in what weapon types i'm allowed to use because of the concept of Linka as a whole, which i'm sticking to, so...use whatever works, if you go vanguard. and bring traps. and don't leave Clad 6 without Burst Bomber turned on once you get it.

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 01:52 AM
Incap is nice, but for the sake of all that's good, DON'T ABUSE IT. You'll quickly get hooked on it. It's like crack, just worse, as you'll be reduced to spamming the square button.

Kinda like that one guy on the PSP2 chatbox. He seriously can't deal with any enemy that can't be incapped, including bosses and large enemies.

Burst Bomber is nice, but not necessary. The whole point behind the Vanguard is 'jack of all trades' + Protranser. Bombs are very strong and can wipe out entire waves easily, but use them conditionally and sparingly. The main strength of traps is their 100% SE hit rate, not their damage.

-Wayu

Linka
Mar 6, 2011, 01:56 AM
yeah. i figured that, Wayu. so i left it unsaid. but, since you think it needs to be said, might as well fill in a blank.

...save EX Traps for the boss, if possible, when being a vanguard. saves ya alotta trouble, really.

btw, how fast would one be attacking if they mixed the level 30 vanguard ability, with twin daggers, and the effect of a dark mirage blast, Wayu?

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 01:58 AM
I use twin daggers with Professional and I can typically hit 80-Chain in around a minute...maybe, didn't count.

Dark Mirage blast makes your attack speed go up by a factor of, what, 2 or 3? So I'd imagine that you could easily hit 40-Chain within 20 seconds.

-Wayu

Linka
Mar 6, 2011, 02:00 AM
...so, chain-lovers should go with human vanguards, basically? XD.

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 02:04 AM
The Vanguard was originally best suited for the all-arounder race, the humans. You won't have as much EVP as a Newman Vanguard but your stats would fit quite nicely.

-Wayu

Linka
Mar 6, 2011, 02:06 AM
yeah. plus half the time remaking an anime character in PSPo2/i would mean making them a human, and on occasion a vanguard as well, so they'll be pretty balanced.

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 02:13 AM
I don't see how the anime character remaking thing contributes to Vanguard but cool story.

-Wayu

Linka
Mar 6, 2011, 02:15 AM
it depends on the weapon selection available, really. like, with Linka, i couldn't have made her a ranger or force since her 'original self' was known for sword usage, so i had to pick between hunter and vanguard. after looking at everything i'd probably use once level 200, i realized vanguard was best choice.

XxGoregrinderxX
Mar 6, 2011, 02:36 AM
Thx thx thx for the tips.
I will try to make a VAnguard because i cant beat Orga Angelus with TECs. O:

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 03:31 AM
http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/iRathiest/?action=view&current=Movieon2011-01-03at2145.mp4

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/iRathiest/?action=view&current=Movieon2011-01-02at1745-1.mp4

Top video, my goal was to highlight the fact that the NPCs are using lv. 1 weapons.

Second, had a DERP when I walked right into that floor trap.

-Wayu

XxGoregrinderxX
Mar 6, 2011, 04:16 AM
Cool videos.
You are very good at PSP2.

XxGoregrinderxX
Mar 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
Ok my question about the Vanguard is cleared.
But what is with the Rangers?

Can i use my Newman as a Ranger??

Jorry
Mar 7, 2011, 10:15 AM
Ok my question about the Vanguard is cleared.
But what is with the Rangers?

Can i use my Newman as a Ranger??

Of course you CAN use it as a Ranger. Newmen have the second highest ACC, making them a good choice as a Ranger. But I would honestly go with Vanguard. If you want to use guns you can still do that, because Vanguards are the "balanced" class.

TheAstarion
Mar 7, 2011, 03:40 PM
I've used a Newman Ranger, she typically uses a card with a lv21+ bullet for the 3 blades, and a wand with something fast like Grants or Diga on triangle to get a combo finisher while the card charge shot homes in. They're only slightly behind the human for ATK-based guns (to the tune of less than a few points of damage, even at high level), and the best users of Tech-based guns (cards and bows).

If you don't use any guns that you need to have lv21+ bullets to get the most out of, (cards with their three blades, shotguns with five bullets) then feel free to pick them up on your Vanguard. In solo mode, twin handguns are amazing for chaining from a safe distance, as much for any race as on a newman, and cheaper than the "heavy" ranged weapons for a Vanny to equip.

Wayu
Mar 7, 2011, 07:03 PM
Twin handguns are the staple of PSP2 vanilla. Use them on a Vanguard.

-Wayu