PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Custom Music? Why it wasn't implemented?

ChaosAngel92
Mar 5, 2011, 08:37 PM
PSP2 was a dream come true on the PSU franchise, and PSP2i is close to perfection.

The only thing I'm still wondering, is why on the world there wasn't an option for using your own music stored on your memory stick to play while you play.

I don't know if there is a game on the PSP that allow this, but if it exist a homebrew application that allows you to do this, it shouldn't be that much trouble for Sony to do an official application.
I'm not particularly fan of PSU music, (Othori Castle stage music is a masterpiece tho), and It would be my perfect experience to play other type of music.

But anyway, I'm still wondering, why there wasn't any option like this PsP2 or PsP2i. It seems the kind of stuff Sakai would normally implement.

Tea
Mar 5, 2011, 08:51 PM
There are a few games that let you use custom music. The two I know of are Project DIVA and DoA Paradise, and the other I can't really remember. Yeah, it would've been simple to just use the system of custom music implemented in DoA Paradise. From what I saw, all you had to do was place the music in the main folder and it was readily available to play.

I don't think they could've easily implemented it into either game. If you were allowed to use custom music, I think it would have been too hard to code that to allow it to be played through either of the multiplayer modes. Does seem like him to do so, but then again, I don't really think they ever had an idea to do so because they were so focused on creating the infrastructure modes.

Saphire089
Mar 5, 2011, 09:38 PM
I usually just turn on my ipod and head off to multiplayer mode (still working on getting 100 of those missions done) if i get the urge to play and listen to music.

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 02:06 AM
You can turn off the music volume in the options and instead play your own tunes off of your PSP harddrive.

I think.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
Mar 6, 2011, 02:09 AM
That's only possible with CFW, lass.

Wayu
Mar 6, 2011, 02:12 AM
Nevermind then.

Well, I personally just turn on iTunes on my computer and turn off the PSP's sound.

-Wayu

IsaacGravity
Mar 6, 2011, 03:19 AM
A lot of the music is pretty ignorable (too atmospherey but not enough to grab your attention). I tend to just hum something/have a a specific tune booming in my head anyway when I really get into things.

TheToyDolls
Mar 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm saddened by this because to me, as the music lover and fanatic that I am, being able to play music on your console while playing a game on it at the same time is an awesome feature. And this is why I loved playing Xbox 360 so much. I would load up Gears of War 2, go to my playlist, hop online and it would immediately put me in the zone. It almost felt like it helped make me a better player.

Then I found out PS3 wasn't able to do this, and I was sad. Then I found out PSP wasn't able to do this either (not a big surprise), and I was sad. But I'm pretty bad when it comes to modding things even as simple as a PSP so CFW is out of the question. I use my iPod Nano instead.

TheAstarion
Mar 7, 2011, 06:52 AM
You should totally be able to change the music of your infinity missions. Personally I love the El-Bals, Elbars, whatever, snowy mountains music (as well as the area), and think the seabed plant music is just crap, though the area is quite cool looking. The whole point of infinity missions is to mix this and that, so it comes off as a bit of a wallbanger that this wasn't implemented.

Wayu
Mar 7, 2011, 06:55 AM
They created the soundtrack for a reason, though, even though it does suck.

If I had a choice I'd toss in "A Grasping Truth" from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn into the Anastasis fight, but this game isn't made by Nintendo.

That being said, copyrights are a pain.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
Mar 7, 2011, 07:05 AM
I just mute the game and slap on a Final Fantasy OST. Much love, to the point that I've replaced every single stagesong in PSP2 with one from an FF game.

Wayu
Mar 7, 2011, 07:08 AM
A good choice, too.

-Wayu

H-Hanzo
Mar 7, 2011, 09:52 AM
you have that option also on Macross, Kamen Rider and need for speed, but I think that maybe we have problems playing online with that option, too much laggy.

I can use CFW so, I use that to play some stages that have annoying background music on Moatoob.

Zarode
Mar 7, 2011, 01:07 PM
Playing music like that shouldn't take that much CPU power. It wouldn't cause lag, which is a network issue, which is a latency issue.

I swear, I grow tired of seeing lag and slowdown being mixed together in the same bag.

Akaimizu
Mar 7, 2011, 02:04 PM
It's mainly because nobody else put together a system, from the ground up, that supports custom music from the get go. If you leave it to the developer to support it, then you have a mixed bag that is rarely utilized. When it comes to that stuff, everybody except for the 360 is handling custom sountracks more like the Xbox 1 did. And, as you can see, that only provided the same limited amount of custom music support.

So yeah, not only a rewrite of that portion of the OS would be needed for system-wide support, but it must be a part of the rules for the developers to not circumvent it. Without that, then the developers will rarely feel the incentive or take the time to implement it themselves. It's kind of like infrastructure on PSP. Though the lack of necessary internet play, for a lot of games, in Japan is also a bit of a consideration.

If the developers didn't have to write code to deal with custom music, there would be no issue.