PDA

View Full Version : Servers down?

Tyreek
Mar 15, 2011, 11:21 PM
So a certain known "server", that shall not be named is apparently not functioning. Nor is the website in question even... Existent anymore. Basically a dead link. I wanted to introduce a friend to the game since he never heard of it. Does anyone have an update from what happened? I saw that March 2nd being one of their last updates, but I can't get into the server. If this goes against forum rules, please ignore it and let a mod handle this. I am aware of what to speak about regarding such servers.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 16, 2011, 12:11 AM
It's the end of ragol as we know it.

Anon_Fire
Mar 16, 2011, 12:28 AM
I think the said 'server' might be dead.

It's website and forums are also down as well.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 12:31 AM
That... Is gonna suck. Really suck. I'm surprised no one brought this to light within the time given.

darkante
Mar 16, 2011, 12:38 AM
Seriously? Wow..it were fun while it lasted.
Came a little sudden. :O

SpikeOtacon
Mar 16, 2011, 12:39 AM
And it's not just one, either. There's another I know of dead as well. Not good times :(

Dongra
Mar 16, 2011, 12:43 AM
Domain name to the forums expired and they lost it to a parasite site. The servers should still be up but some clients may experience complications. This is what I've been told anyway.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 12:48 AM
Well, I do know the "server" is giving me the "use proper client loader" error even with the right loader that should fix that. Well, this trashes whatever plans I had to get him into the game. Ugh. He won't be able to register. And that is stopping me from giving him the setup files.

Aerilas
Mar 16, 2011, 02:07 AM
Ok to put all of you at ease. This certain server just didn't pay its domain (or something similarat Dongra said wh). The forums are down but there's nothing wrong with the game itself. If you tested it you will see you can still play.

Normally if a server goes down , the game goes first.
There's nothing wrong, just the site having problems

Raikomaru
Mar 16, 2011, 03:55 AM
What does this mean for the forum then?

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 08:36 AM
Is there any alternative to getting people to register? I'll google it if necessary.

DC_PLAYER
Mar 16, 2011, 08:40 AM
Who cares, just move on to other servers/websites

Dongra
Mar 16, 2011, 11:19 AM
I assume the people that play on the server would care. For some players it would be easy to change servers, but for others, who have a lot of time invested on that server, would probably just stop playing the game if they lost their characters. It's probably safe to assume you have a long standing grudge against the server, many people do, and they certainly earn that hate considering how poorly the community treats one another and the incompetent staff that runs the place, but I'm not going to deny that they have the best server for this game. Anyway, server isn't dead just the forums (good riddance).

darkante
Mar 16, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, i doubt i start over if my characters dies on that server.
I just use my characters on the Gamecube version in that case.

But great to hear that the server is still alive.

trypticon
Mar 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
I noticed the forums were totally gone yesterday, but I was still able to get online without a problem.

I'm going to miss the forums, honestly. I had a long standing thred there that I'm not going to be able to update anymore. It may not have gotten a lot of attention from other forum members that I know of, but it did give me the opportunity to see my projects grow from point A to point B, which was sometimes nice.

Other than that though, I agree that the less I have to see a few people pop up in threads with their opinions blazing, the better.

Raikomaru
Mar 16, 2011, 02:26 PM
I talked to SeventhGrave on my forum and he pointed out that on a domain site that I can't link to because it contains the private server name in the link, it says the domain expires on March 14, 2011. It's strange though, he says he can still get onto the forums at work and I can still get on at school, so I'm not sure what's going on exactly.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
I talked to SeventhGrave on my forum and he pointed out that on a domain site that I can't link to because it contains the private server name in the link, it says the domain expires on March 14, 2011. It's strange though, he says he can still get onto the forums at work and I can still get on at school, so I'm not sure what's going on exactly.

DNS Propagation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_propagation) is likely what's going on. His ISP/computer hasn't updated the DNS info for the URL for the server's site, therefore when he enters the domain into his browser it still goes to the IP of the server's site and forums, rather than the new squatter page that everyone else is being directed to. Eventually everyone will not be able to access the site and forums through the URL, if Propagation is to blame. Unless he can get his domain back or buy a new one before then.

Raikomaru
Mar 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hmm, that makes sense. Is there some sort of time limit attached to renewing the site to it's normal state?

Kaziel
Mar 16, 2011, 05:10 PM
You mean domain leasing?

It's often yearly... reoccurring... maybe he ran out of funds. Oo'

My question is, how does someone else have possession of it? Unless it was sold or grabbed after a lease was up, I've never heard of this happening. Either way it's bad news. It could be pretty expensive getting it back. ):

Ellemayne
Mar 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
...probably shouldn't ask this with all the secrecy and what not but...There is still PSO servers?

Dongra
Mar 16, 2011, 06:30 PM
My question is, how does someone else have possession of it? Unless it was sold or grabbed after a lease was up.
I believe this is exactly what happened.

I noticed the forums were totally gone yesterday, but I was still able to get online without a problem.

I'm going to miss the forums, honestly. I had a long standing thred there that I'm not going to be able to update anymore. It may not have gotten a lot of attention from other forum members that I know of, but it did give me the opportunity to see my projects grow from point A to point B, which was sometimes nice.

Other than that though, I agree that the less I have to see a few people pop up in threads with their opinions blazing, the better.
Was that your lego thread? I kind of remember it being awesome.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
I think I can easily speculate who would be as spiteful as to sack said website.

Dongra
Mar 16, 2011, 06:38 PM
It wasn't sacked, the lease was up and a parasite website purchased it before the admin renewed it. That is, if I am understanding the situation correctly.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 06:40 PM
Now I know I seen that website multiple times. Who would have thought it was a parasite. Now I'm skeptical as to making websites of my own lol...
How the hell can it purchase websites?!

Dongra
Mar 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah, it's like one of those websites you get when you accidentally mistype the site you want to go to.

trypticon
Mar 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
For those who care, looks like the site is back up.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
Looks like said site got revived. I better inform my friend about this soon.

trypticon
Mar 16, 2011, 07:56 PM
Looks like said site got revived. I better inform my friend about this soon. I just wrote that. I suppose some news needs repeating.

...probably shouldn't ask this with all the secrecy and what not but...There is still PSO servers?

This is probably about the worst kept secret, and it's also kept for about zero reason now, since last I heard PSO world wasn't hosted by the gamespy network anymore and is no longer under their code of conduct. I could be wrong about that though, I haven't been keeping up with news here. I also remember that PSO world would put on events and such that may have been sponsered by Sega, themselves. In that case, I can understand why they wouldn't be pointing users here towrds sites that have their own functioning PSO servers, where Sega isn't making any extra money off of them from subscription fees.

People aren't allowed to list the name of the server or stie here, but a quick google search of something like PSO server home or some junk ought to get you there pretty quickly.

Was that your lego thread? I kind of remember it being awesome.

Yeah, it was. It's not like I'm remotely close to being finished with it, and it would be nice to continue the updates, if for no other reason than my own interest in looking back over the mess I've made downstairs with them.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 08:11 PM
I just wrote that. I suppose some news needs repeating.

Looks like you posted in unison to mine.

Dongra
Mar 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm not going to say I am all that thrilled about them being back up, but it's good to hear that you got your thread back Adam.

Tyreek
Mar 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
Well, seeing as the issue has been reconciled, I may as well request to close this thread. We got our answers.