PDA

View Full Version : Rangers and their PA's

Omunall
Mar 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
I always hear that RA's are bottom tier damage; why is this? It seems like their PA's are quite useful, but i'm wondering why they don't get a lot of love in the game. What are they mostly useful for? Is it that Sega just didn't balance them?

Chaos Rappy
Mar 19, 2011, 09:19 PM
Because of how low the guns' damages are and how many enemies resist ranged damage. That's about all I can say... just look at all the gun-types' ATP's, and you'll see.

Omunall
Mar 19, 2011, 09:20 PM
What about bazookas? I can't really determine a good class without actually getting to SH, which time limitations that i have won't really net me a good way to testing anything.

Chaos Rappy
Mar 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Bazookas... yeah, they're pretty much crap, regardless of how they are. The only good bazookas are the 7* ones, and only the common ones, which have Lv4 (and Element Boost'd to Lv5) or Lv5 Celeb, and also have Wild Blow. Otherwise, they're all crap, with low attack speed, and no splash damage, and can't chain.

Omunall
Mar 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
Bummer :(

How do the cannons scale with thingsl ike bio panic?

Chaos Rappy
Mar 19, 2011, 09:49 PM
Bio-Panic makes them good, otherwise, with low attack and no chaining, they're pretty much crap like Bazookas that can hit through enemies. their other PA's also aren't that good either, since only Bio-Panic hits more than once, although I guess you can SOMETIMES aim Sector Line to hit foes more than once, but it also has even less damage overall.

Omunall
Mar 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
What comparison makes them crap? Just curious; i've seen a few people running high level casts in SH doing quite well with them, but i'm not familiar with other classes. How much less damage are we talking?

Chaos Rappy
Mar 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
Made a correction to the above post.

Anyways, as far as a comparison, it's more or less a comparison to the damage you could be getting from anything other than bazookas, really. Laser Cannons and Bazookas are considered the worst weapons in the game, SPECIFICALLY due to their attacks not being able to chain. That's really all I can say, and to be honest, it's pretty much true, even for the best bazooka and laser, you won't get near the damage you could do with even half-decent versions of the other ranged weapons, PA or otherwise (although Wild Blow does make Bazookas not-as-sucky, but that's a special case).

Omunall
Mar 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
Well what i mean is how much should you be seeing as far as regular numbers? I get that the non chain aspect sucks for general use, but things like bio panic (i will not use sector line, i don't even see a reason to use it in multi for support since bio panic does so much better, hits more times, and has a better area that you can actually count on) but i'm curious of the numbers. If we are talking DPS, you can't always take it to a literal sense, considering it may be a damage difference of 15 points, or a difference of 500.

I'd get that if their damage ratio sucked so badly as to drop them so far off the list that it's not even usable, but again; i'm not familiar with end game outside of seeing my wife's FOney, but not much else. Forces destroy, while a bit dangerous to use in later levels without proper gear, they still destroy...but the other two, it just seems like Sega wouldn't have made such a fatal error as to gimp rangers to a point that their damage is unusable, you know? Wild Blow, to me, is the only PA for a bazooka (crazy on shouldn't be considered in any way, and the other one is still surpassed by wild blow, so it's kind of odd to wonder why they made it)

Also, the divine whatever it's called for cannons seems useful for it's effects, but i'm still not sure how far off the ra damage would be. i'd love to have a set up of FOmarl, RAcaseal, and HUnewearl, but if the RA's damage is so far under the other classes, i'd be in a bind as to what to choose, and starting off as a FOmarl is starting to get to be painful.

Broken_L_button
Mar 19, 2011, 10:53 PM
Meh. Laser Cannons and Bazookas are pretty much the only crappy weapons rangers have. mechguns, Rifles, handguns and gunblades are all decent (gunblades being manly). Just use them in the zones where the enemies are more resistant to melee. And when you go to places with high range resistance, just use your gunblade w/ Earth bullet and you'll automatically win for all eternity.

Windancer
Mar 20, 2011, 12:12 AM
I have a celeb 4 nemesis that my Ranger carry's in his pack very rarely is it brought out and if it is I spam wild blow :( the bazookas and lasers just dont make it fun they seem slow sluggish and even though they show when equipped that they will do massive damage I think them to slow to do so.

Omunall
Mar 20, 2011, 01:22 AM
Meh. Laser Cannons and Bazookas are pretty much the only crappy weapons rangers have. mechguns, Rifles, handguns and gunblades are all decent (gunblades being manly). Just use them in the zones where the enemies are more resistant to melee. And when you go to places with high range resistance, just use your gunblade w/ Earth bullet and you'll automatically win for all eternity.

Good info. I'm still having much trouble picking a first class for so many reasons. I don't want to play three classes right now, so finding a single class is a bit on the difficult side. The RA's seem the most "interesting" simply for the fact that they are so unusual in this game, and feel like they would be difficult yet fun to use. Gunblades are my favorite, hands down, but the RAmarl just looks cool ;)

cease_fire
Mar 20, 2011, 04:37 AM
The RA's seem the most "interesting" simply for the fact that they are so unusual in this game, and feel like they would be difficult yet fun to use. Gunblades are my favorite, hands down, but the RAmarl just looks cool ;)

-I'm not sure about the detail but human ranger class have the highest overall stat early game so they are easy early. They got really though mid game when you can't get good weapon because their stat became one of the lowest and some foe have range resistance. Thus, not many people love them. I really recommend you play ranger class as second or third character when you got good weapon to back them up.

As for ranger photon art I think they got the most scape goat photon art( for retreating) and the longest range( hollow snipe).

leviayurashyguy
Apr 1, 2011, 02:44 AM
Rangers have low tier damage because they have the lowest damage stats. Hunters have higher ATP and Forces have higher MST.

As for Bazooka/Laser Cannon, they are made by their PA's. Actually, every weapon in the game that's not a Mechgun or Slicer relies on its PA as a primary source of DPS. Bazooka/L. Cannons lack combo and speed but make up with hard hitting PA's that have AoE. But again, it all comes back to the Rangers crappy stats

GHNeko
Apr 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
When HUs can be better Rangers than RAs, than you know you have a really shitty class.

And when FOs can be better anythings than anyone else, then you know you have a really OP class. :V

leviayurashyguy
Apr 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
Forces make neither better Hunters nor Rangers. Their low ATP, ATA, HP, and weapon selection are all major drawbacks when played outside of a traditional FO