PDA

View Full Version : Online Cheating

Wewt
Mar 13, 2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks to my friend Burgerdog, I was able to read this very interesting article about cheating on online games. It is sort of a cheater-bash fest, but it's quite funny, too. Legit players and cheaters please read, it might give you some insight on how cheating affects others. It even mentions how cheating has helped to destroy PSO.

It's quite long, so if you have a short attention span get the hell out of here.

Click here (http://forums.xengamers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74491) to read it.

Courtesy of Xengamers.com

Vantamiath
Mar 14, 2003, 03:20 AM
So you’ve got quitters and “it’s not cheating” cheaters, and then you’ve got the top-of-the-line, utterly shameless, “yes I am a cheater, want to make something of it?” cheaters. One of the earliest online console games broken by unscrupulous players was Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast, with a list of shady or obnoxious behavior a mile long. Aside from a dozen different “strategies” players can use to steal weapons or snipe treasure from party members, use of cheat devices like the GameShark led to players duplicating many of the game’s rarest items, essentially taking hard-earned trophies and making them worthless as every player online could have an inventory full of them. But the absolute worst, most despicably evil and sad cheat in the Phantasy Star Online universe had to be NOLing, wherein another player online uses a cheat device to overwrite your hard earned, high level character with a low level non-player character. The practice of NOLing was named after the first and most common non-player character that people were stuck with afterwards. You lost your levels, your equipment, everything. Perhaps the most frustrating part of NOLing was that it didn’t benefit the NOLer at all. It was purely out of spiteful malevolence that these cockmongers would ruin other people’s games.

Wewt
Mar 14, 2003, 01:45 PM
Bah. The asshole made a thread already, and I didn't know he did. So go to this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=44252&forum=1&16), and ignore mine.

RuneLateralus
Mar 14, 2003, 05:48 PM
Since it was already done, I will just lock this one.