PDA

View Full Version : Guide Some pointers for you forces out there.

Broken_L_button
Apr 11, 2011, 02:58 AM
~~~Upcoming updates and updates up until now~~~
-Establish a technique tier list
-->done
-Put the detailed technique descriptions and reviews in spoiler boxes for easier reading
-->done
-Tweaking some technique descriptions to include changes made in PSP2i
-->done unless there are other technique changes I missed
-Putting weapon descriptions in spoiler boxes for easier reading
-->done
[/SPOILER-BOX]

YES. This is long overdue, I know, but hey, better (extremely) late than never, right? At any rate, here goes! I do hope this will be informative to anyone playing forces in both PSP2 (if there are any left) and PSP2 infinity. So, without any further ado...

How to be a better psycho-arsonist

What's a psycho-arsonist? (description of the Force type)

THEY'RE INSANE BADASSES WHO SET FIRE TO BUILDINGS WITH THEIR MINDS!! THEIR MINDS, MAN!!

...No, but seriously, forces are the mages of Phantasy Star. They use their mental abilities to manipulate the elements and harm enemies and support allies. They have high TEC and MST, and slightly higher than average EVA, while all the other stats are much lower than the other classes (in PSP2i, ACC is higher than the Hunters, though), making them quite fragile. They have a PA level cap of 30 for techniques (MAGIC SPELLS!!!!) and 15 for bullets and skills, making them obviously the best at using techniques.

1- Choose your race and gender

As with all Phantasy Star titles, there are quite a few races to choose from, and one can also choose their gender, which brings different pros and cons...Which most of you know already. But, if you don't know them, I'd refer you to The Noob Guide (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184310), written by Unionhack, which goes quite in detail into these pros and cons. But, being the magnanimous person I am (ego stroke count: 1), I'll summarize these racial and gender pros and cons here very quickly:

Races

Humans

Traits: Highest DFP, MND and STA, the rest are balanced, not being the highest or lowest. Can use mirage blasts and have exclusive access to the black mirage blast, which increase attack speed for a short while.

Pros: Their stats makes them one of the most durable of the races. The rest of their stats are balanced, making them able to perform decently in every class.

Cons: They can't be the best at anything. [S]They're not Casts.

Newmans

Traits: Highest TEC, PP, PP regen (PP regen is the 2nd highest in PSP2) and EVA, 2nd highest MND. Also have high ACC. HP, ATK and DEF are almost the lowest of the low. Can use mirage blasts and have exclusive access to the White mirage blast, which raises the blast gauge of any ally in range (it is also rumored to have other effects besides that, though).

Pros: You've most likely noticed, they're the best forces out there. Their TEC allows for the most potent techniques and their PP allows them to use them more often than other races. Even though their squishy, their EVA allows for surprising survivability...Until they get hit with Diga behind the head (as with the other races too). Mirage Blast damage being TEC-based, they're also the best at using those. They also have nice pointy ears.

Cons: They're fragile and break like twigs. They can't be males and they're not Casts.

Casts

Traits: Highest ACC, 2nd highest HP, DEF and PP regen (was the highest in PSP2), as well as high ATK. PP and TEC and are the lowest of the low (their MND and EVA are also quite low, but not the lowest). Can use SUV weapons to mow down enemies or aid allies.

Pros: Their stats allow them to be the best with guns, being competent with melee combat as well as being quite durable. Despite their low PP, the regeneration rate of their PP bar is still fast enough to allow a decent use of PAs. Their SUVs allow them to have access to the highest level of buffs in the game. They're Casts, enough said.

Cons: They're the worst forces damage-wise. That's about it. Some people might say "CHIN STRAPS", but I think those things have their charm.

Beasts

Traits: Highest HP, ATK, and 2nd highest EVA (Newmen beat them by a tiny margin). ACC, TEC, MND, PP and PP regeneration rate are lower then most of the other races, with ACC being the lowest of the low (their PP regen is slightly higher than a Duman's). Can Nanoblast to transform into their giant beast forms, with different traits depending on their blast badges.

Pros: They're the best at melee and their high HP and EVA coupled with their decent DEF makes them very durable. Beast women are the best, too.

Cons: They're blind. Seriously. Using guns with them is quite an ordeal unless they're rangers. Their low PP regen forces you to pace yourself much more when using PAs. They're not great with techniques either. Not the worst, but still far from the power of the Newmen.

Dumans (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Trait: All offensive stats (ATK, ACC and TEC) are the 2nd highest while all defensive stats (HP, DEF, MND and STA) are the lowest of the low. Their PP regen is also the lowest. Can use an Infinity Blast that has a different animation depending on their current Type as well as different effects depending on their current Type level.

Pros: They will be the 2nd best at damage in every single type. Truly, they are remarkable offensively. They also have eye-patches and can become pirates in their spare time.

Cons: They're even more fragile than Newmen. While Casts had HP to somewhat make up for their low EVA, Dumans have both low HP and EVA, making blocking and dodging paramount for survival. Their PP regen also forces one to not abuse PAs too much and be mindful of their PP gauge. The males also have a horse face.

Males

Traits: Slightly higher HP, ATK, DEF and EVA. The rest (except STA) are slightly lower than the female's.

Pros: They're the best for melee. They also have cowboy hats.

Cons: None, really, unless you consider having certain stats being lower than the female's and not having curves a horrible thing.

Females

Traits: Slightly higher PP, PP regen, ACC, TEC and MND and have an extra hit with Twin daggers and Twin Claws. The rest (except STA) are slightly lower than the male's.

Pros: They're the best for attacking from afar with techs or guns. They can use PAs more often. They also have curves.

Cons: None, really, unless you consider having certain stats being lower than the male's and having too much skimpy/cutesy outfits as opposed to a more serious wardrobe as well as scary inertia for their breasts a horrible thing.

What brand of matches you should use to set fire to stuff (weapons you should look into)

This section contains a brief description of the weapons I find most useful for Forces. Weapons that aren't there are simply because I don't find them useful at all or because they're only useful for a niche crowd.

Notice: The PP costs listed for the ranged weapons are for PSP2. In PSP2i, a lot of them were reduced.

Swords

Traits: High ATK/low ACC. Increases DEF/MND in proportion to the weapon's rarity. 2-handed, which allows guarding without a shield. Deals 3 hits per 3 attack combo. Hits multiple targets.

Why this is useful: In PSP2, this weapon is horrid for normal attacks because of how slow it is. In PSP2i, since it's incredibly fast, it can be very useful for crowd control against tech-resistant enemies, especially in the hands of the more robust Forces (Casts, Humans, Beasts). Only for "shits and giggles" in PSP2, while it can be a great asset in PSP2i.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Spears

[SPOILER-BOX]Traits: High ATK/High ACC. Increases EVA in proportion to the weapon's rarity (except for Kubara spears). 2-handed, which allows guarding without a shield. Deals 3 hits per attack combo. Pierces, allowing the user to hit multiple targets in a line.

Why is this useful: The weapon's stats and bonuses compensate for the force's low ATK/ATA, helps with survivability (EVA bonus) and helps a low level force cope with the lack of decent technique weapons and high level technique disks in the beginning of the game. Dus Skadd is also an incredibly strong PA, allowing even forces to tear through enemies (note that its power was reduced in PSP2i) easily. A MUST for low level forces until they get better TEC weapons/higher ACC.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Double Sabers

[SPOILER-BOX]Traits: Slightly higher than average ATK/ACC. Increases MND in proportion to the weapon's rarity. 2-handed, which allows guarding without a shield. Deals 6 hits in one 3 attack combo. Can hit targets around the user.

Why this is useful: This weapon's traits makes it very effective at raising your PP when you run out (which will happen a LOT in PSP2) of it. It also allows one to raise a small chain on a surrounding crowd of enemies to increase the potency of a chain-breaking Gi-tech. A MUST have for any force in PSP2. Much less important in PSP2i.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Twin sabers

[SPOILER-BOX]Traits: Average ATK/ACC. Increases EVA in proportion to the weapon's rarity. 2-handed, which alows guarding without a shield. Deals 6 hits per 3 attack combo. Single target (with some exceptions).

Why this is useful: [S]BUREEDO DESUTOROKUSHION!!111ONE Kidding. These weapons are fast and great for nearly any situation requiring a melee weapon (Tech resistant enemies). The EVP increase also helps with your survival. Again, another MUST for Forces, in PSP2. Slightly less important in PSP2i, considering other melee weapons are quite good in that version.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Twin daggers

Traits: Slightly lower than average ATK/higher than average ACC. Increases EVA in proportion to the weapon's rarity. 2-handed, which allows guarding without a shield. Deals 6 hits per 3 attack combo, females having a supplementary hit. Single target.

Why is this weapon useful: [S]TSUMIKIRI HYORI AND LEVEL 4 INCAP, TROLLOLOLOL Kidding. These are a much faster alternative to the twin sabers, at the expense of dealing less damage than twin sabers. They're very good at raising your PP and building a chain, and some of them are quite potent weapons (Twin Kamui+Bugei Senba in PSP2, some of the 16* Twin daggers in PSP2i), able to deal damage nearly on par with twin sabers. If you're not using Twin sabers, definitly use these.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Twin Handguns

[SPOILER-BOX]Traits: Average ATK/ACC. 6 PP per attack without bullets equipped. 2-handed, which allows guarding without a shield. Increases EVA in proportion to the weapon's rarity. Shoots 2 bullets per attack. Charge shot I hits multiple times for increased damage, while charge shot II attacks enemies around the user. Note that its regular shots and Charge Shot I get added damage in 1st person view.

Why is this weapon useful: CHAINING. These things shoot quite fast for a low PP cost, and thus, are life savers for forces (except beast forces), since they have trouble chaining most of the time. The fact that they allow great mobility makes them great all-purpose ranged weapons as well. A MUST. Especially for Newmen/Cast/Duman forces, who use them the best (for forces, anyways).[/SPOILER-BOX]

Longbows

[SPOILER-BOX]
Traits: High TEC/High ACC. 10 PP per attack without bullets equipped. 2-handed, which allows guarding without a shield. Increases the user's MND in proportion to the weapon's rarity. Shoots 1 arrow per attack. Charge shot I fires a single, long-range penetrating shot, while Charge Shot II allows to the user to damage surrounding enemies by jumping and firing 4, short-range shots downwards. Regular shots and Charge shot I receive added damage while used in 1st person view.

Why is this weapon useful: I'll confess, it's not really great in PSP2, because of the force's terrible ACC in that version and its slow firing speed; it's even slower than a rifle. But, this weapon shines in PSPi; the slightly faster firing speed, the addition of a Charge Shot II able to deal with ranged resistant enemies, the fact that this weapon is TEC-based (thus taking full advantage of the force's main offensive stat) and the fact that the weapon's high specs are already nothing to sneeze at makes it a perfect alternative for forces against Technique resistant enemies. Just note that you'll have to carry a few of them with different Charge Shots to be able to deal with most situations; Charge shot I is best for sniping weak points on bosses, whereas Charge Shot II is mostly for taking care of these annoying critters breathing down your neck. Bottom line; pretty bad in PSP2, great in PSP2i.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Rods

[SPOILER-BOX]Traits: Highest TEC. Can have 4 techniques linked, but cannot guard, unlike most 2-handed weapons (in PSP2i, one can guard with a rod if they only link 2 techniques on the front row, leaving the use of the R button for guarding). Slowest casting animation. Can cast techniques 3 times in succession, the 2nd and 3rd technique being cast faster than the previous one. Note that in PSP2i, this weapon's casting animation is MUCH faster, almost as fast as a wand.

Why is this weapon useful: I shouldn't have to say this, really. It offers the best damage for Forces, despite putting them even more at risk of a swift and horribly painful death. You should use these, period.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Wands

[SPOILER-BOX]Traits: Average TEC. Can have 2 techniques linked. 1-handed (right), requires a shield in the left hand to guard. Casting animation has average speed. Can cast techniques 3 times in succession, the 2nd and 3rd technique being cast faster than the previous one. Note that in PSP2i, this weapon's casting animation is faster, making one able to string 3-tech combos even faster. In PSP2i, these can also allow the user to cast techniques while strafing, allowing for great mobility and even safer technique usage.

Why this weapon is useful: When combined with a shield, it allows Forces to be much safer, at the expense of dealing less damage. One could also use them in conjunction with TEC-increasing left-hand weapons for higher damage, but since the whole safety aspect is lost, why not use a rod instead?
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Shields
[SPOILER-BOX]
Traits: High ATK/ACC. 1-handed (left), allows guarding while using right handed weapons. Raises DEF in proportion to the weapon's rarity.

Why this weapon is useful: It's only useful for the Wand+Shield combo, really. With some shields raising EVA, they make using wands even more safe for forces. Definitely use these if you're using a wand. Note that these weapons received an extreme increase in ATK and ACC in PSP2i, making them even better.[/SPOILER-BOX]

What accelerator you should use to set fire to stuff (Techniques)

This section has a description of the game's magic spells, the techniques, and my opinion on how they are best used.

-When I write "power", I'm referring to a technique's TEC modifier.

Linking techniques

Just like bullets and skills, techniques must be linked to a weapon to be used. Though, unlike the other two, linking techniques of the same element as the weapon increases the weapon's base TEC by 5%. This might seem small at first, but every little bit counts. Even ants can make a riverbank crumble with their tunnels.

Also, depending on the button to which you link a technique, it can either break the chain (triangle button) and thus strike for at least twice as much damage or add to the chain (square button) and strike for normal damage.

technique tier list by version

A quick list so you can quickly know what's best for each situation in each version. The techniques are separated into best chain-breakers (triangle techs) and chain raisers (square techs), and have a certain rank among each element, the technique at the top of the list for its element being the best in most useful in most situations in my opinion. There's also an extra category named "support" listing the techs I recommend for supporting a party. The techniques that aren't in these categories are either too horrid to be used or are too situationnal to be useful.

PSP2
-Chain breakers:
[SPOILER-BOX]:fire:
~Gifoie -multi-target/groups
~Foie -single target
:ice:
~Gibarta -multi-target/groups
:lightning:
~Gizonde -multi-target/groups
~Noszonde (requires strict timing, only when foes are far away) -multi-target/groups
:ground:
~Gidiga -multi-target/groups
~Diga -single target
:light:
~Damgrants -single target/groups (lined up)
:dark:
~Ramegid -multi-target/groups
[/SPOILER-BOX]
-Chain raisers
Due to PP costs, only use them to raise the chain by a maximum of 5 on a group. For single targets, use weapons like Twin handguns, twin sabers, etc.
~Rafoie
~Rabarta
~Dambarta
~Noszonde
~Nosdiga
~Grants
~Ramegid
~Nosmegid[/SPOILER-BOX]

Support
[SPOILER-BOX]Buffs
~Shifta
~Deband
Healing
~Resta[/SPOILER-BOX]

PSP2 Infinity
-Chain breakers:
~Gifoie -multi-target/groups
~Foie -single target
~Gibarta -multi-target/groups
~Gizonde -multi-target/groups
~Noszonde (Haven't tested this one's chain breaking potential in PSP2i, so I"m not sure about it. Nevertheless, I'm still leaving it here.) -multi-target/groups
~Gidiga -multi-target/groups
~Diga -single target
~Damgrants -single target/groups (lined up)
~Ramegid -multi-target/groups
[/SPOILER-BOX]
-Chain raisers
(Note that Sabarta and Sazonde are above all the rest in terms or chain raising)
[SPOILER-BOX]
Ultimate chain raisers (can raise chains to infinity!! When you need a 10+chain)
~Sabarta
~Sazonde
Normal chain raisers (use to a maximum of around 5 chain due to speed)
:fire:
~Foverse
~Rafoie
~Dambarta
~Rabarta
~Noszonde
~Razonde (it's actually usable in this version, due to the speed boost and lack of launching properties. Still LARGELY outclassed by Sazonde)
~Nosdiga
~Nagrants
~Grants
~Megiverse
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Support
[SPOILER-BOX]Buffs
~Shifta
~Deband
Debuffs
~Jellen
~Zalure
Healing
~Resta[/SPOILER-BOX]

Technique list

A description of the techniques as well as an explanation of my thoughts on them follows. Only read it if you really want to understand why I made certain choices in the tier list above.

Notices:

-I won't list the technique's PP costs here, since you can see them in-game, but you should know they were diminished by a LOT in PSP2i, making techniques easier to use. Their casting animations are faster too, making the usage of techniques to raise chains a viable option.

-In PSP2, the Ra- techniques can hit 1 more target (for a total of 4 targets) when they reach level 21+, while in PSP2i, their power was reduced by 20% and their maximum targets are restricted to 3.

~:fire: Techniques

[SPOILER-BOX]Foie

Description: Flings a single fireball straight ahead, striking a single target. Inflicts the burn status effect on enemies for additional damage over time.

My thoughts: Remember the time when this was your lifeline in PSO's forest for a level 1 force? That made boomas a joke...Until you ran out of TP and were surrounded. Anyways, in PSP2, this technique is quite fast, as a high power modifier and a low cost. Even though its speed makes it seem good to increase chains, I'd suggest using it primarily as a chain-breaker for single targets.

Damfoie

Description: Projects fire in front of the user, continuously hitting multiple enemies in front of the user. Inflicts burn.

My thoughts: ZOMG! A flamethrower! This technique would be awesome for chaining/chain-breaking instead of being utterly useless if it hit faster and had more range at lower levels. Don't bother using this unless it's for "shits and giggles".

Rafoie

Description: Detonates an explosion, burning multiple enemies from afar. Inflicts burn.

My thoughts: Not as awesome as PSO's rafoie, I'll concede. But still, it's fast (for a technique), has decent power (for a technique) and hits multiple enemies. And then there's the RA- techs' wonky targeting putting so many people off, but I'll explain that later. I'd keep it on the square button to annoy enemy groups from afar.

Gifoie

Description: Creates a wall of fire around the user, blowing away enemies. Inflicts burn.

My thoughts: Its power would have made it awesome for a general triangle tech for crowds, but its slow casting time and its blow away attribute reduce that potential. Use it as a triangle tech only on multi-target bosses (mainly De Ragnus).

Foverse (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Description: Creates fireball(s) that circle around the user for a certain amount of time, allowing movement while hitting enemies multiple times and burning them.

My thoughts: Mini PSO-Gifoie. It makes melee combat/Gi-tech usage a LOT safer, since it can flinch enemies while you're not attacking. Useful if you're using melee or are going to use a gi-tech.

Shifta

Description: Some red energy swells up over a certain radius around the user, boosting the ATK and TEC of the user and any ally in range.

My thoughts: One of the game's buffs. I don't think I have to tell you to assign this to your heal stick and abuse it.

Jellen

Description: Imagine Shifta's animation playing, but in reverse. Reduces enemy ATK and TEC.

My thoughts: A debuff. Makes enemies hit you for less damage. Nearly useless in PSP2, even with elemental hit equipped, since debuffs don't have a 100% success rate there. Extremely useful in PSP2i, since it has a 100% success rate there.[/SPOILER-BOX]

:ice: Techniques

[SPOILER-BOX]Barta

Description: Sends a trail of ice travelling in a straight line. Pierces through enemies and can freeze on contact.

My thoughts: Bel Pannons spam level 11-20 barta with great efficiency. Ironically, it's not so useful for the player because of its low power. But, it can still fill a role for hitting multiple enemies from afar for an average amount of PP. Use it as a square technique according to your preferences.

Dambarta

Description: Sends out ice over an area right in front of the user, freezing enemies and continuously hitting them.

My thoughts: Slightly more useful than Damfoie because of the freezing and slightly faster hits, but it's only useful at level 21+, since it attains a good range there. Best used as a square tech to raise small chains up close because of the steep PP cost. Not a must, though, so use it as you see fit.

Rabarta

Description: Drops chunks of ice on enemies from a distance. Inflicts freeze and can hit multiple targets. Knocks down enemies (doesn't do so in PSP2i).

My thoughts: Don't let the steep PP cost and slow casting animation fool you. Just for the Freezing effect and knock down, this technique is great for managing crowds, especially with weapons that reduce PP cost. Best used as a square tech.

Gibarta

Description: Creates a wall of ice around the user. Causes freezing and knocks down on contact (doesn't knock down in PSP2i)

My thoughts: Even though the PP cost is high, it's very good for finishing off crowds or hitting multi-target bosses (De Ragan, mainly). Best used as a triangle tech.

Sabarta (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Description: Creates a localized snowstorm in front of the user, hitting enemies multiple times.

My tthoughts: PSO's Gibarta, now useful! Along with Sazonde, this is great for raising chains fast. Since you can create another snowstorm while the previous one is in effect, you can surround your enemies in a blizzard, rendering them immobile. Quite good for enemies that have nasty counters for attacks that knock down (like Sazonde). Best used as a square technique.

Deband

Description: Just like shifta, some energy swells up and stuff...But it's blue and it boosts DEF/EVA/MND for the user and allies in range.

My thoughts: The other buff. Abuse it.

Zalure

Description: Just like Jellen, except...you guessed it, it's blue stuff now, and decreases enemy DEF/EVA/MND.

My thoughs: Just like Jellen, almost useless in PSP2, but you're forced to use it when enemies render themselves nearly impossible to hit with their own deband. Awesome in PSP2i because of the 100% success rate, though. Keep it around for the enemies that cast deband.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
:lightning: Techniques

[SPOILER-BOX]Zonde

Description: Projects a lightning in a straight line in front of the user, piercing enemies and inflicting shock.

My thoughts: Unlike PSO's lolsniper zonde, it's not very useful because of the low power. You could use it to attack from a distance, but there are better options. Best used as a square tech, but again...There are better options.

Razonde

Description: Strikes multiple enemies from afar by landing a lightning bolt on them. Hits multiple enemies and knocks them in the air (doesn't do so in PSP2i). Inflicts shock.

My thoughts: It looks a lot like PSO's zonde, but it's terrible because of its VERY SLOW casting speed and the fact that it makes enemies with low inertia scramble all over. I'd advise against using it. Though, with its faster speed and lack of launching in PSP2i, it can find a use in that version.

Noszonde

Description: Sends out a ball of electricity that tracks down foes as long as the button is pressed. Hits multiple enemies and blows them upwards, inflicting shock (pretty often). Cannot break chains.

My thoughts: One of the most useful and safest :lightning: techniques around. With this, you can juggle groups of enemies from the door while your allies kill them, and eventually kill said enemies, because of the techniques power. You can even kill certain bosses just by continuously casting it. Unlike what the game says, it CAN break chains, but it's a bit tricky; you need to cast a triangle technique right before Noszonde hits, and voila, chain broken. Best used as a square tech.

Sazonde (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Description: Covers an area with sizzling bolts of electricity for a while. Knocks enemies upwards and inflicts shock.

My thoughts: EXTREMELY useful for raising chains, no matter its level. You can also stack a ton of mini electric storms, making any enemy who gets caught in them helpless. Best used as a square tech. And you better use it.

Gizonde

Description: Lightning strikes around the user, hitting nearby enemies and inflicting shock.

My thoughts: Like the other Gi-techs, a good chain-breaker for nearby crowds/multi-target bosses (mainly Bil De Golus, but that's quite risky). Best used as a triangle tech.[/SPOILER-BOX]

:ground: Techniques

[SPOILER-BOX]Diga

Description: Flings rocks at an enemy in an arced trajectory. Blows enemies away (this was changed to knockdown in PSP2i) and inflicts confusion.

My thoughts: Enemies using this are a real pain in the butt. Though, it's both useful and useless in the hands of the player. Its high power makes it a great triangle tech, but the slow, arced trajectory makes it somewhat hard to connect from a safe distance. Its blow away attribute makes it great in knocking down/flinching big targets (Astarks, Grinna Bete, etc.) and keeping them in check. But, please, for Heaven's sake, DON'T SPAM THIS ALL THE TIME. It makes it hard for others to hit enemies and finish them quickly. Though, in PSP2i, the "blow away" attribute of this technique being changed to a "knock down" one makes this a much better single-target chain breaker, almost as good as Foie.

Damdiga

Description: Projects poison in front of the user as long as the button is pressed. Hits enemies multiple times, poisoning them.

My thoughts: Like most Dam- Techs, useless until level 21+ because of the low range, and even then, it doesn't hit fast enough. Only use it for "shits and giggles"

Nosdiga

Description: "Snakes" move across the ground, tracking down enemies as long as the button is pressed. Hits enemies multiple times, launches them upwards and inflicts stun.

My thoughts: Useful, but its use is severely impaired by the steep price (a whopping 70PP). Very good for raising a small chain on a small group of enemies and immobilizing them. Best used as a square tech. Because this tech travels on the ground to seek targets, any ground obstacle (divisions in the ground, invisible walls, solid objects -Like the tree roots in Neudaiz' conservation districts, and elevated surfaces -such as stairs-) will stop it, preventing you from attacking your target. Due to the tech's steep cost, always take note of the topography when using it.

Diverse (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Description: Steals PP from the enemies around the user.

My thoughts: Would have been MUCH more useful if it was in PSP2. In PSP2i, it's somewhat useless because techniques cost almost nothing in that version.

Gidiga

Description: Creates an earthquake around the user, striking nearby enemies and confusing them.

My thoughts: Like most Gi-techs, great chain-breaker for a crowd or multi-target boss. Obviously a triangle tech.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
:light: Techniques

[SPOILER-BOX]Grants

Description: Rains beams of light in front of the user. Strikes multiple enemies and can put them to sleep.

My thoughts: This it actually a Ra- tech with a much smaller range, and thus less issues with the wonky Ra- tech targeting. I find it useful for flinching a small group of enemies before blasting them with Damgrants. Best used as a square tech.

Nagrants (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Description: Sends small projectiles of light to strike enemies from afar.

My thoughts: I haven't played with this one much, to be honest. With Grants and Damgrants, I feel that my arsenal of offensive :light: techniques was complete. But, it is useful if you want more range with your :light: techs. I'd assign it to the square button.

Damgrants

Description: The user focuses light energy and...FIRES HIS/HER LAZ0R at enemies in front of him/her. Literally. Hits enemies multiple times as long as the button is pressed and inflicts sleep.

My thoughts: Most awesome offensive :light: technique in PSP2. This his VERY fast and has incredible range. Even though its power is somewhat low, it's best used as a chain-breaker because of the fast multiple hits. With a proper chain, this technique can tear through Belras, Ill Gills, Delbiters...Pretty much any :dark: enemy not resistant to techniques. Note that its consecutive hits come more slowly in PSP2i.

Giresta

Description: Light energy cures the ailments of the user. Helps nearby allies at higher levels.

My thoughts: A healing technique that cures ailments. Since almost everyone will be using "resist" abilities and running after allies to cure their ailments involves a lot of risk, this technique is somewhat useless. In PSP2i, the ability "Reverser" obtained at Force level 40 allows this technique to resurrect allies. This could make this technique more useful depending on how much importance you give to support and how often your allies see red screens.

Resta

Description: Light energy mends the user's wounds, restoring HP. Also heals nearby allies at higher levels.

My thoughts: Even though it's VERY slow in PSP2, you can't be a force and NOT use this. Just make sure to either take a distance form battle or wait after the room is cleared to use it, or the enemies WILL punish you for healing in front of them. Note that in PSP2i, this technique is much faster, making it incredibly useful.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
:dark: Techniques

Note: Most :light: enemies have high resistance to techniques, so :dark: technique as a whole aren't very useful outside of attacking Stateria.

[SPOILER-BOX]Megid

Description: Sends out a ball of dark energy in a straight line in front of the user. Pierces enemies and inflicts infection.

My thoughts: This technique is a complete clone of foie, but, because of it's much slower speed and lower power, it's not as useful. With more speed, it would have found a use as a triangle tech, but considering the note above...Yeeaaaaah.

Samegid (PSP2I ONLY!!)

Description: Creates a ball of darkness, striking enemies multiple times.

My thoughts: Unlike the other Sa- techs, even though it's an AoE attack, it doesn't strike fast enough and doesn't have enough range for me to find it useful...Then again, a higher technique level COULD change that. It could be useful as a square tech.

Ramegid

Description: Creates a gravity field in front of the user, striking multiple enemies from afar and poisoning them.

My thoughts: Yup, another RA- tech. This one is the second most powerful Ra- tech, but, for some reason, suffers the most from the wonky Ra- tech targeting issue. Nonetheless, once you get over it, it's decent as a square or triangle tech, depending on your tastes.

Dammegid

Description: Projects a gravity field in front of the user as long as the button is pressed, hitting enemies multiple times and afflicting them with the infection status.

My thoughts: Another Dam- tech too slow and without enough range to be useful before level 21+. And it has an even higher cost too. Don't bother using it.

Nosmegid

Description: Sends out a orb of darkness to track down foes as long as the button is pressed and knock them down upon impact. Strikes multiple targets and damage increases as HP gets lower. Cannot break chains.

My thoughts: This is an exact clone of Noszonde, except that its hit box if weird, making it tough to use. The part that actually hits enemies is the barely visible orb in front of the dark trail the tech leaves in its wake, so you have to time it right so that part can hit the enemies. If you manage to use it properly, it can be a decent tool to flinch big stateria, deal with golmorro crowds and poke Alterazgoug from afar. You can also make it break the chain in the same fashion as Noszonde. Best used as a square tech.

Megiverse

Description: Steals HP from the enemies around the user.

My thoughts: That's actually a weird Gi-tech. In PSP2, it his so slowly and doesn't flinch foes, making it incredibly useless. In PSP2i, it causes some minor flinching and racks up hits faster, making it much more useful. In PSP2i, it's decent as a square tech against a nearby crowd. In PSP2, it's only good for breaking boxes. And even then, it sucks at it.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
The Ra- tech targeting issue (mostly PSP2)

If you've ever used Ra- techs, you'll notice that often, even after locking on to an enemy, you'll completely miss your target. Well, that's because Ra techs seek their target differently. Note that this issue is less apparent in PSP2i.

Unlike most attacks that seek directly the target the player has locked onto due to the game's slight auto-aiming or the player pressing the L button, Ra techs don't take into account the player's target; instead, they register the last direction the user is facing and hit the first obstacle (solid object in the environment, enemy hitbox, etc.) they meet.

For example, let's say you're locked on to a distova, but it's running in circles around you. If you try hitting it with a Ra tech, you'll miss, hitting the area where that distova was when the technique was initiated. It's the same thing when you're trying too shoot a rappy running away in PSO. The game will show "MISS" because, when the shot reaches its destination, the target isn't there anymore.

This is why, with Ra techs, it's best to use the lock-on function sparingly and preferably "lead" your target (those who played any kind of game involving airplane dogfights will know what I'm talking about) into your barrage of techniques; plot your target's course in your head, face the appropriate direction and launch the technique ahead of your target, and voila! Success!

Vertical tolerance

Many forces have issues with flying enemies like Kutebobs and Shagreece, since they can't hit them with their techniques while they're flying higher than usual. There are two ways to solve this:

-Bringing them down with Noszonde
-Using techniques with high vertical tolerance.

But that does this "vertical tolerance" mean? That's just a way to tell the vertial range of the technique. For example, foie can only hit enemies on the same elevation as the user, since it travels in a straight line, thus, it doesn't have any vertical tolerance. Ra- and Gi- techs on the other hand have high vertical tolerance, so you can use them to hit flying enemies, even when they decide to fly higher. If you don't believe me, try it out; stand next to a Shagreece, wait until it takes more air and start using a gi- tech. It should take damage, and you should even hear the sound of the technique connecting. Ra-techs are a bit hard to nail on them though, since their trajectories involve a lot of curves and such. Still possible, though.

There are exceptions, though, like when Dimmagolus flies over the stage. I believe that in that case, only Noszonde can track it.

Any tricks I can use to burn stuff better? (useful abilities)

In both PSP2 and PSP2i, you have ability slots to which you can assign abilities with various costs in slots to boost your performance. Here are the abilites I recommend to forces:

-PP boost and PP Hi-boost: A MUST in PSP2, because techs suck your PP bar dry in seconds. Not so useful in PSP2i because of rebirth and the overall decrease in tech costs.

-Resist abilities (stun resist, freeze resist, sleep resist): Stun, freeze and sleep can spell doom for you, so it's obvious you need to either use these, or equip the corresponding slot units.

-"Element" advance abilities (fire advance, ice advance, etc.): These make you do more damage with the corresponding element. Obviously use them.

-Technique advance (PSP2I ONLY!!): This raise the power of all your techniques. For a measly 2 ability slots, you better use it.

-PP tech save: This reduces the amount of PP used by techs. In PSP2, it's somewhat useful if you manage to make space for it and lack PP-saving weapons like Psycho wand, despite the % of PP saved being so very low, while in PSP2i, it's utterly useless since techniques cost nearly nothing in that version.

-"Reverser" (the Katakana reads リバーサラー or, "Ri-Va(Ba)-Sa-Ra", so I took a little liberty in my translation) PSP2I ONLY!!: Allows Giresta (Regen in the Jp version) to resurrect incapacitated allies. Could be useful if you're going mostly for support, but considering people are usually always full on moon atomizers and scape dolls, and that, by the time you get that ability (Force level 40), people around your level should be dying occasionally at worst, I wouldn't go out of my way to use this. Then again, it only uses 1 slot, and you get more slots in PSP2i (12 at Type level 50), so what's the harm? If you have space, go ahead and use it.

Well, with all that know-how, you should be ready to burn down that building there (afterword)

Well, that's it. Was pretty lengthy, I know. I do hope people find this useful and if any of you have suggestions or corrections to make, then, by all means, please say so! With this...Have fun wreaking havoc with the power of techniques!

Special thanks

-Crystal_Shard for some suggestions and corrections
-Shakuri for the original post about useful techniques in PSP2
-RenzokukenZ for some corrections and additional information
-Dragwind for making this a floating sticky
-Saotome Kaneda for pointing out an error I made due to my bias as a Cast Supremacist

Crystal_Shard
Apr 11, 2011, 03:24 AM
Hey, why'd you cancel out the nice comment about the ears? As a newman player, I demand that this post be rewritten by a fleshie supremacist rather than a cast supremacist!

Ahem.

Damn, I was actually toying with the idea of posting a guide like this one of these days and getting it stickied. Well, less work for me to do I guess. XD

A few things of note:

About the knockdown from Rabarta/Razonde/etc in PSPo2, it's no longer applicable in Infinity I'm afraid. Perhaps you could add a small addition to each tech describing some differences between the way techs work in both games?

if I may suggest something else as well, listing all the techs according to category is fine, but it's a little overwhelming to a new reader/player. How about making a list of spells according to their actual utility and ranking them in tiers? A split between spells useful in PSPo2 and PSPo2i would definitely help as well. Credit for this idea should be given to Shakuri though as the original idea came from a very old post for vanilla PSPo2.

Broken_L_button
Apr 11, 2011, 03:28 AM
Aye, that would make it much more practical and easier on the eyes indeed. Time to roll up my sleeves once again!

Edit: If I didn't cancel that comment, I'd be accused of being biased towards newmen and then kicked out of the Cast Supremacy's golf club.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 11, 2011, 03:44 AM
Glad to be of help. ^_^

Edit: Ah, that would be a shame. I hear the pina coladas are most... electrifying. Though, I'd point out that messing with a newman force's ears is liable to net you more than just a few fused circuits, not to mention welded joints... ^_^

RenzokukenZ
Apr 11, 2011, 03:46 AM
Needs more cowbell Cast propaganda.

Nicely done, BLB. Here's a few things I see that you may wish to add.

Diga's effect in PSP2i is no longer a knockback, but rather a knockdown.

Rod's casting speed has been improved in PSP2i, rivaling that of a wand.

There's also the 3-cast combo that all Tech-weapons have.

Other than that, you did a job well done. And don't worry, your place in the Cast Supremacy Royale Suite will not be revokes.

Broken_L_button
Apr 11, 2011, 04:15 AM
Whew, I'm happy to see I won't lose my seat. I'll be sure to add these corrections then, but that'll be a little later; school is rearing its ugly head now D:

Crystal_Shard
Apr 11, 2011, 04:19 AM
Needs more cowbell Cast propaganda.

NOES! Technique casting is the domain of the fleshies!

Ahem. Apologies, too much caffeine today.

Almost forgot to add. I believe there is a ability slot (Infinity only) that will turn Giresta into Reverser. It's learned by forces at type level 40.

Merm
Apr 11, 2011, 05:25 AM

This. Spread the Newman love people. ):
Other than that, great guide!

Dragwind
Apr 11, 2011, 12:28 PM
This thread has been added to the floating sticky for future reference.

Broken_L_button
Apr 11, 2011, 02:22 PM

NO! With the POWER OF PHOTONS, we Casts shall also learn the ways of technique casting and deal REAL AMF DAMAGE with them. We'll even TOPPLE THE COG'S REGIME and blow away your WEAK FLESHIE MINDS.

Anyways, added some more info and put some things in spoiler boxes. Thanks a bunch for the help guys! Keep it coming!

Shakuri
Apr 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
Good job.

Although pre-Infinity I vastly preferred Spears (Muk Lath) over Twin Sabers for my Force. Mostly because of Muk Skad's excellent ATA total making my melee assaults a guaranteed connection.

Its a shame that D.Saber-->Gi-Spam is no longer necessary in Infinity, as I always thought it looked pretty cool. Just a testament to them finally getting Force right though after too much mediocrity. Thank god I didn't bother getting any higher end DS's for my Force though, as it would have been a waste.

/ramble

Saotome Kaneda
Apr 11, 2011, 03:03 PM
I thought Newmen got a higher PP regen rate in 2i to make them top?

Broken_L_button
Apr 11, 2011, 08:03 PM
Good job.

Although pre-Infinity I vastly preferred Spears (Muk Lath) over Twin Sabers for my Force. Mostly because of Muk Skad's excellent ATA total making my melee assaults a guaranteed connection.

Its a shame that D.Saber-->Gi-Spam is no longer necessary in Infinity, as I always thought it looked pretty cool. Just a testament to them finally getting Force right though after too much mediocrity. Thank god I didn't bother getting any higher end DS's for my Force though, as it would have been a waste.

/ramble

Thank you!

True, spears do get that much better ATA. Though, I prefer using Twin saber's Assault crush rather than spear's Dus Skad because I can have more PP left for techs and other PP consuming action, and thus reduce the time I spend unable to act because of low PP.

I thought Newmen got a higher PP regen rate in 2i to make them top?

Yeah, I did hear they had a boost in PP regen, but I doubt they got the highest regen. Last I heard, they were either vey close to the Cast or matched them. Then again, with the huge PP pool they have post-rebirth, they probably regen faster by a tiny margin.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 11, 2011, 08:30 PM
NO! With the POWER OF PHOTONS, we Casts shall also learn the ways of technique casting and deal REAL AMF DAMAGE with them. We'll even TOPPLE THE COG'S REGIME and blow away your WEAK FLESHIE MINDS.

Never underestimate the power of a newman with the honor of his/her ears at stake!

FOR THE EARS!

Ahem.

@Saotome Kaneda and Broken L Button:
The high PP pool and high regen rate basically means nearly Unlimited Sazonde Works(tm) for newman forces in Infinity. I don't have any FOCasts or FOCaseals, (though Deis will probably train as one until type level 10 someday) so I unfortunately don't have a frame of reference to compare with.

Regarding weapons, I've been having some good results giving my dewman force secondary weapons such as axes, single hand daggers and shields. I could be biased due to my focus on the look and feel of the character, rather than trying to min/max her stats though.

Broken_L_button
Apr 12, 2011, 05:27 PM
Never underestimate the power of a newman with the honor of his/her ears at stake!

FOR THE EARS!

Ahem.

@Saotome Kaneda and Broken L Button:
The high PP pool and high regen rate basically means nearly Unlimited Sazonde Works(tm) for newman forces in Infinity. I don't have any FOCasts or FOCaseals, (though Deis will probably train as one until type level 10 someday) so I unfortunately don't have a frame of reference to compare with.

Regarding weapons, I've been having some good results giving my dewman force secondary weapons such as axes, single hand daggers and shields. I could be biased due to my focus on the look and feel of the character, rather than trying to min/max her stats though.

I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE, BEING OF THE FLESH! Tremble in front of the power of my metal ear protrusions!!!

...On a more serious note, I checked the japanese wiki and, to my dismay, the newmans have a higher PP regen rate by quite a bit, so I changed some racial info there. You win this time, newmen, but remember...We still have the more badass armors, so HA!

And yeah, Cast, Newman and Duman Force do decently with the axes to keep enemies knocked down (<3 Ill Gill testament and its uber rape Anga Grudda), but, as you wrote yourself, it feels a bit more like a matter of taste than a matter of usefulness/MUST have. Though, I guess I should experiment a bit more with the other weapons whenever I fool around in the demo again or play the full game.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE, BEING OF THE FLESH! Tremble in front of the power of my metal ear protrusions!!!

...On a more serious note, I checked the japanese wiki and, to my dismay, the newmans have a higher PP regen rate by quite a bit, so I changed some racial info there.

See, this is why you shouldn't diss the ears. All you casts have are those dinky metal antennae that can't channel photons efficiently and...

Ah, did I wake you up, Deis? What's that you say? I hate your ears/antenna? Oh no, don't cry.

Yes, yes, your ears are beautiful. I don't hate them at all. Go back to sleep, my dear.

Ahem. Now where was I? Ah yes.

FOR THE EARS!

You win this time, newmen, but remember...We still have the more badass armors, so HA!

But it's so painful to have to sit down with all that metal sticking out! Do you know how many times I've had to pay for damages because the Nono Schwartz keeps poking holes in the floor of Clad 6? Don't even get me started on the Croce Segmentata.

And yeah, Cast, Newman and Duman Force do decently with the axes to keep enemies knocked down (<3 Ill Gill testament and its uber rape Anga Grudda), but, as you wrote yourself, it feels a bit more like a matter of taste than a matter of usefulness/MUST have. Though, I guess I should experiment a bit more with the other weapons whenever I fool around in the demo again or play the full game.

For dewmans and other races that receive good accuracy stats, but slower PP regen, I could probably make a case for having something like axes (enemy knockdowns for a squishy character is always a good thing IMO) as a backup when you have to pace your PP regen. I don't think newmans benefit much from axes though and are better suited for twin daggers, or plain ol' Sazonde/Sabarta spamming.

Oh right, that reminds me. Have you added a note that longbows are finally a viable weapon for forces to use in Infinity? Though one will need to balance the need for the correct Charge Shot mode (CSI better for boss weakpoints, CSII for giving some special modifiers to damage, but cannot hit weakpoints/creatures above a certain height) for the situation.

Broken_L_button
Apr 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
See, this is why you shouldn't diss the ears. All you casts have are those dinky metal antennae that can't channel photons efficiently and...

Ah, did I wake you up, Deis? What's that you say? I hate your ears/antenna? Oh no, don't cry.

Yes, yes, your ears are beautiful. I don't hate them at all. Go back to sleep, my dear.

Ahem. Now where was I? Ah yes.

FOR THE EARS!

Poor Deis...So cruel...Even I felt like shedding a drop of lachrymal fluid after hearing that, but, my lachrymal glands being at G.R.M.'s repair facility right now for a tune-up (they can't keep a proper coolant secretion while I fire lasers with my eyes), I'm afraid that's not a possibility at the moment.

But it's so painful to have to sit down with all that metal sticking out! Do you know how many times I've had to pay for damages because the Nono Schwartz keeps poking holes in the floor of Clad 6? Don't even get me started on the Croce Segmentata.

This wouldn't have happened if Sky Clad's former CEO *cough*Ursula*cough* thought of the needs of all their potential customers and simulate all potential scenarios, like a Cast's sublime mind would. I say, let G.R.M. co-operate with the AMF to build a space colony and you'll never get this kind of problem; the stuff they make their ships with has more invincibility time than a hangover!

For dewmans and other races that receive good accuracy stats, but slower PP regen, I could probably make a case for having something like axes (enemy knockdowns for a squishy character is always a good thing IMO) as a backup when you have to pace your PP regen. I don't think newmans benefit much from axes though and are better suited for twin daggers, or plain ol' Sazonde/Sabarta spamming.

Oh right, that reminds me. Have you added a note that longbows are finally a viable weapon for forces to use in Infinity? Though one will need to balance the need for the correct Charge Shot mode (CSI better for boss weakpoints, CSII for giving some special modifiers to damage, but cannot hit weakpoints/creatures above a certain height) for the situation.

The axes are indeed great, though, the fact that I could use Soul Phoenix/any other sword with target +X and Gravity Break to recover a bit of PP during the normal combo and then rip the enemies to shreds still has me doubting raising axes to the status of a must have in a PSP2i force's melee arsenal. They're still one of the manliest weapons around though.

...I knew I was forgetting something O_O

Bows are faster in the expansion right? Their CSI is the conventional charge up shot that can also be used in 1st person mode while their CSII is the long-range piercing shot, correct?

Crystal_Shard
Apr 12, 2011, 11:29 PM
Poor Deis...So cruel...Even I felt like shedding a drop of lachrymal fluid after hearing that, but, my lachrymal glands being at G.R.M.'s repair facility right now for a tune-up (they can't keep a proper coolant secretion while I fire lasers with my eyes), I'm afraid that's not a possibility at the moment.

Oh no. I love my little Deis dearly. But any challenge to a newman's ears cannot be allowed to pass!

I actually like the whole cat ear antenna type that I gave to Deis.

This wouldn't have happened if Sky Clad's former CEO *cough*Ursula*cough* thought of the needs of all their potential customers and simulate all potential scenarios, like a Cast's sublime mind would. I say, let G.R.M. co-operate with the AMF to build a space colony and you'll never get this kind of problem; the stuff they make their ships with has more invincibility time than a hangover!

Isn't Optimus Curtz causing doorframe design and structural problems with those wide shoulders of his? If the AMF gets all the contracts, it'll be the end of privacy as we know it!

The axes are indeed great, though, the fact that I could use Soul Phoenix/any other sword with target +X and Grand Crusher to recover a bit of PP during the normal combo and then rip the enemies to shreds still has me doubting raising axes to the status of a must have in a PSP2i force's melee arsenal. They're still one of the manliest weapons around though.

Swords are fine (though the Soul series presents a problem for squishies unextended, due to the Damage Reflect) especially with the tweaks in Infinity, and I think others in the past have advocated double sabers for fast PP regen as well. I think Axes make a great tactical weapon, rather than an all purpose, all situation do-it-all.

My only issue wth axes? I feel some of the lower ranked axes have too much of a "Magical Girl" feel and don't look very menacing. XD Again, an issue of taste.

...I knew I was forgetting something O_O

Bows are faster in the expansion right? Their CSI is the conventional charge up shot that can also be used in 1st person mode while their CSII is the long-range piercing shot, correct?

I believe they are slightly faster, but not by very much. However, the tweaks made to Forces have increased the amount of damage it can put out. CSI is the standard, long range, linear penetrating charge shot, while CSII has the bowman/woman jump into the air and fire 4 clusters downwards.

Broken_L_button
Apr 13, 2011, 12:19 AM
Oh no. I love my little Deis dearly. But any challenge to a newman's ears cannot be allowed to pass!

I actually like the whole cat ear antenna type that I gave to Deis.

KittyCast :D Though, IMO, nothing can beat the horns from ear 6.

Isn't Optimus Curtz causing doorframe design and structural problems with those wide shoulders of his? If the AMF gets all the contracts, it'll be the end of privacy as we know it!

The door frames are made so that our Lord and Savior can leave an imprint -which will be worshipped at a later time- while breaking through them, so they're all regular-sized. But, for doors that lead to areas where privacy is required, Sir Optimus Curtz rotates 90 degrees, allowing for a flush fit and no damage to the structure.

Swords are fine (though the Soul series presents a problem for squishies unextended, due to the Damage Reflect) especially with the tweaks in Infinity, and I think others in the past have advocated double sabers for fast PP regen as well. I think Axes make a great tactical weapon, rather than an all purpose, all situation do-it-all.

My only issue wth axes? I feel some of the lower ranked axes have too much of a "Magical Girl" feel and don't look very menacing. XD Again, an issue of taste.

Soul eater is the only one with damage reflect. The other two have HP affects damage and drain.

And that is quite ironic for the Axes. I guess that guard in ToS was right when he said all lumberjacks are women and children these days.

I believe they are slightly faster, but not by very much. However, the tweaks made to Forces have increased the amount of damage it can put out. CSI is the standard, long range, linear penetrating charge shot, while CSII has the bowman/woman jump into the air and fire 4 clusters downwards.

Alright, thanks for clarifying it. Added some Longbow info to the first post.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 13, 2011, 12:32 AM
KittyCast :D Though, IMO, nothing can beat the horns from ear 6.

Nyaaa~~~

I'll have to take a look at those when I get the chance. Can't remember what they look like. XD

The door frames are made so that our Lord and Savior can leave an imprint -which will be worshipped at a later time- while breaking through them, so they're all regular-sized. But, for doors that lead to areas where privacy is required, Sir Optimus Curtz rotates 90 degrees, allowing for a flush fit and no damage to the structure.

Ah, that should be reasonable enough. Religious freedom and harmony and all that.

However, I realize one other issue. AMF ships are not SEED proof! The consumers demand that their furniture be guaranteed SEED proof!

Soul eater is the only one with damage reflect. The other two have HP affects damage and drain.

And that is quite ironic for the Axes. I guess that guard in ToS was right when he said all lumberjacks are women and children these days.

I've only used the Soul Eater so far, mostly because Komazlis would drop them all day when I was spamming Max Attack I in the Infinity Demo. I was kinda turned off then, but sounds like I was wrong about the more powerful variants.

Most S-Rank Axes look pretty menacing. XD It's only the low-mid ranked Tenora and some of the Yohmei ones that have too many baubles.

Aine
Apr 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I did hear they had a boost in PP regen, but I doubt they got the highest regen. Last I heard, they were either vey close to the Cast or matched them. Then again, with the huge PP pool they have post-rebirth, they probably regen faster by a tiny margin.

PP pool no longer affects the regen rate, but Newmans now have a much faster natural PP regen rate than Casts. With the stat tweaks in Infinity, Newmans win at Force hands down.

Spoilers: Shifta/Deband is now affected by TP. It turns out that Shifta/Deband casted by a 200/50 Newman Force with TP maxed through rebirth is stronger than Exusia Fluge.

Edit: Just noticed you already addressed the PP issue. Didn't read thread yada yada

Saotome Kaneda
Apr 13, 2011, 05:10 AM
You messed up the spoilers for your individual elemental breakdown(aka where is ground).

Broken_L_button
Apr 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
Spoilers: Shifta/Deband is now affected by TP. It turns out that Shifta/Deband casted by a 200/50 Newman Force with TP maxed through rebirth is stronger than Exusia Fluge.

That makes me both sad and happy. Happy because most Forces will have buffs that are light-years ahead of other classes' buffs, sad because not all forces will be the best at buffs :/

You messed up the spoilers for your individual elemental breakdown(aka where is ground).

Thanks for notifying me about that. Corrected it.

Crimson The FOmar
Apr 13, 2011, 03:08 PM
I've only used the Soul Eater so far, mostly because Komazlis would drop them all day when I was spamming Max Attack I in the Infinity Demo. I was kinda turned off then, but sounds like I was wrong about the more powerful variants.

Most S-Rank Axes look pretty menacing. XD It's only the low-mid ranked Tenora and some of the Yohmei ones that have too many baubles.

Nothing beats my neutral Ill Gill Testament :grin:

And I know what you mean by baubles, Okanoh is horrible...
http://psp2.psupedia.info/images/8/8c/Okanoh.png

NDW
Apr 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
Spoilers: [spoiler-box]Shifta/Deband is now affected by TP. It turns out that Shifta/Deband casted by a 200/50 Newman Force with TP maxed through rebirth is stronger than Exusia Fluge.[/spoiler-box]

This makes me happy face x9001.

SammaeltheDark
Apr 13, 2011, 04:52 PM
For a long time in PSU there weren't a lot of choices if you wanted a scythe-looking weapon. Even if that meant having to put up with a scythe-looking weapon with flowers on it.

joshboyd1209
Apr 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Nothing beats my neutral Ill Gill Testament Except my Ill Gill Testament with LV 1 Incapacitate and 57% Ice at level 6

Crystal_Shard
Apr 13, 2011, 09:24 PM
Nothing beats my neutral Ill Gill Testament :grin:

Except my Ill Gill Testament with LV 1 Incapacitate and 57% Ice at level 6

I see your IGLs and raise you a colour accurate Ill Gill Testament (32% Dark)

I'd love to have a neutral of each rare weapon personally speaking. XD I hate having to get lucky up to 6-7 times just to be more effective when taking advantage of elements.

@SammaeltheDark: I think that's something to thank the dewmans for. XD

Took a second look, my previous comment was slightly flawed. The only other axe I really have a big problem with is this http://psp2.psupedia.info/Ank_Dedda . Looks like a bat themed magical girl's wand to me.

This, on the other hand imo, is an example of a elegant, yet menacing axe. http://psp2.psupedia.info/Bragnoh

I was lucky enough to get a neutral version of it as well.

------

About the issue of forces getting the best buffs due to the new reliance on technique strength, I'm glad that's been done. Support, healing and revival should all be standard Force specialties imo, both gameplay and canon wise.

joshboyd1209
Apr 13, 2011, 09:33 PM
I see your IGLs and raise you a colour accurate Ill Gill Testament (32% Dark)
Does it have drain or incapacitate?

Crystal_Shard
Apr 13, 2011, 09:52 PM
All Ill Gill Testaments naturally come with Level 1 Incapacitate. I believe Crimson The Fomar's neutral IGL should also have it. Even if you extend it, you can't change it.

joshboyd1209
Apr 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
All Ill Gill Testaments naturally come with Level 1 Incapacitate. I believe Crimson The Fomar's neutral IGL should also have it. Even if you extend it, you can't change it.
You mean all this time I should have kept my eye out for one that had the element I really liked and just kept it. MAN *slaps forehead in frustration with Ill Gill Testament and a few weps with drain and you are set to spam Magashi Plan till you drop flop and die, because you're sick of it.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
If you've had many drop in your game and have been selling them, then yes, that is a shame. Even more so since you can use spare drops to enhance your most preferred element through fusion codes.

joshboyd1209
Apr 13, 2011, 10:23 PM
If you've had many drop in your game and have been selling them, then yes, that is a shame. Even more so since you can use spare drops to enhance your most preferred element through fusion codes.
I actually can't use fusioncodes on them, because I am playing the original PSP2 so I am just getting them from Ancient Invader A-S. Lot's of Ill Gills and lot's of Ill Gill Testaments.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 13, 2011, 10:28 PM
Just keep the ones with the highest percents. ^_^ It'll be useful when you actually move to the full version of Infinity, or if you migrate your updated saves to the Infinity demo.

joshboyd1209
Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM
Just keep the ones with the highest percents. ^_^ It'll be useful when you actually move to the full version of Infinity, or if you migrate your updated saves to the Infinity demo.
Can't I'm playing on the US version not the Japanese however if the US demo comes out soon I can import my save into it.

Tsavo
Apr 14, 2011, 12:16 AM
Question: in PSP2 I've been raising a F Beast melee FO since magic sucks so bad and I like to try and play something like Acrotecher. With the changes to FO, PP regen, and faster swinging Swords and Rods would you think a CAST would now be better suited for this role? Or would a Beasts ATP, HP, and EVP make them worth it?

Crimson The FOmar
Apr 14, 2011, 04:26 AM

Yup, all have lvl 1 incap as standard :D and you're right, I don't think you can change it when you extend it.. Sure you're not getting it mixed up with the Soul Phoenix line of weapons? And a neutral one is just personal preference, I'm hunting a :lightning: one at the moment for Magashi Plan, but I generally prefer neutral weapons when they have incap :)

Ruesa
Apr 14, 2011, 07:35 AM
thanks for making this all these tips are realey good
so you dont like my ears:)

Broken_L_button
Apr 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
Question: in PSP2 I've been raising a F Beast melee FO since magic sucks so bad and I like to try and play something like Acrotecher. With the changes to FO, PP regen, and faster swinging Swords and Rods would you think a CAST would now be better suited for this role? Or would a Beasts ATP, HP, and EVP make them worth it?

Once you use extended tech sticks that have the proper empower bonuses and a high element %, you won't be thinking magic sucks so bad. Killing a rainbow Delbiter in one Damgrants is sexay.

Anyways, as for your question...Both are excellent for the melee Force/Acrotecher thing, I guess, since they both have high level buffs (obviously, being forces) as well as the better melee stats. Though, I prefer Casts because of the higher ACC and because EVP has become useless to me these days.

thanks for making this all these tips are realey good
so you dont like my ears:)

Why thank you. And yes, Crystal doesn't like our Cast ears, but she denied that claim XD

Wayu
Apr 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
If you're going to play as a Force, why not go for the best Force?

That being said, I have a Dewman Force simply because I don't have any high-level rods besides a single Ryuhoujidou.

In Infinity, ditch the back row of techs on rods. Use them to Just Guard; it makes life a lot easier.

-Wayu

Crystal_Shard
Apr 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
@Wayu: Finally, another reinforcement to the Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line has arrived!

----------------

@Broken L Button: As a matter of fact, I like these ears. ^_^

[spoiler-box]
http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/kitty-cast.jpg [/spoiler-box]

Let it never be said that I am an Ear-bigot! But neither can a challenge to the ears of a newman ever go unanswered!

On another note, to make it up to my little Deis, I bought her a new dress.

[spoiler-box]
http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/deis-twirl-01.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/deis-twirl-02.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/deis-twirl-03.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/deis-twirl-04.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/deis-twirl-05.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/deis-twirl-06.jpg

*twirl* I think she likes it.
[/spoiler-box]

vagabondkitten
Apr 14, 2011, 10:55 AM

I really don't think it matters what race it is, seeing as a melee force is basically a "novelty" class anyways. Cast PP regen didn't change anyways, it was newmans that got the huge boost in PP regen. As far as the changes in swords go, Beasts will hit slightly harder, but casts will miss less. Though honestly forces are now one of the best classes in the game, so you might want to actually use magic now, and if that's the case beasts will do better damage due to better TEC stats, but casts have better PP regen. Also nanoblasts are kind of useless for forces seeing as their damage is based off ATK power, and SUV's are mostly useless as well for the same reason, though you can still use Exusia Fluge for the level 5 shifta and deband. Overall those are the two races that are least suited to being force, so I really don't think it matters much.

Cynara
Apr 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
This guide already helped me a lot! Especially the weapon section - I never really thought much about weapons to be honest (yes, I'm a noob, but I have the right to be a noob ^^; ).
So thank you for putting so much effort into it. =)

Broken_L_button
Apr 14, 2011, 11:59 AM
If you're going to play as a Force, why not go for the best Force?

That being said, I have a Dewman Force simply because I don't have any high-level rods besides a single Ryuhoujidou.

In Infinity, ditch the back row of techs on rods. Use them to Just Guard; it makes life a lot easier.

-Wayu

Hence why people go with Cast force or AFROnewm. But male newmans being nonexistent and Casts being adamant in maintaining the stereotype about them being not good at techs, a paradox is born and thus, one can't get the best force, and must settle for some pirate magician or magical cat.

IMO, the rod blocking is a waste. Seeing as you mostly spend your time blasting stuff from afar, losing that 10% TEC bonus to your P-wand so you can block "just in case" doesn't serve much purpose...Especially since one can see most, if not all enemy attacks coming. I'd rather have another 2 handed weapon handy and just switch to that if I know I'm going to do something more dangerous. Again, that's just my opinion.

@Wayu: Finally, another reinforcement to the Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line has arrived!

Tch! I'm getting outnumbered here...Where's Renzo when you need him?

@Broken L Button: As a matter of fact, I like these ears. ^_^

Let it never be said that I am an Ear-bigot! But neither can a challenge to the ears of a newman ever go unanswered!

On another note, to make it up to my little Deis, I bought her a new dress.

So you swayed her gentle heart by pouring massive amounts of material goods on her? How cunning...! I see how you newmen operate now, yes...

Tsavo
Apr 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
Once you use extended tech sticks that have the proper empower bonuses and a high element %, you won't be thinking magic sucks so bad. Killing a rainbow Delbiter in one Damgrants is sexay.

Anyways, as for your question...Both are excellent for the melee Force/Acrotecher thing, I guess, since they both have high level buffs (obviously, being forces) as well as the better melee stats. Though, I prefer Casts because of the higher ACC and because EVP has become useless to me these days.

Why thank you. And yes, Crystal doesn't like our Cast ears, but she denied that claim XD

I should specify that I meant it sucks so bad in PSP2. I'm actually really looking forward to being able to use magic to kill things again in Infinity. It looks like I'll have a Newm for pure spellcasting and a Beast for melee/support so I can see which I like more. Thanks!

Crimson The FOmar
Apr 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
Tch! I'm getting outnumbered here...Where's Renzo when you need him?

*salutes* FOcaseal Catherine ready for deployment :D

I can't speak for infinity, or end-game, as I'm lvl 150, but with the lvl's I invested in the other classes (which I'm not sure you mentioned, but it may be less necessary in Infinity), I feel I've become quite good recently, even if I do say so myself.

The tips you shared in PM's already helped me alot, and this weapon section was very interesting as well, as you're speaking from your own experience.
Personally my pallete is-

:neutral: Extended Ill Gill Testament (axe)
50%:dark: Yasminkov 2000H + :neutral: Extended Tsumikiri-Omote (handgun and dagger)
50%:light: Extended T-Yasminkov 2000H (twin handguns)
52%:ground: Motav Prophecy + :neutral:Kazami Bracer (wand and shield)
30%:lightning: Extended Konsaikon + 47%:ground: Angelic Breath (wand and card)
54%:light: P-wand (Rod)

I find for a cast, this relatively equal mix of guns, melee and teching work very well and allow me to take advantage of the extra bulkiness :) I do have a Tumikiri Hyori too, but I still have to get used to it, and I actually prefer single dagger PA's more.

Broken_L_button
Apr 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
I should specify that I meant it sucks so bad in PSP2. I'm actually really looking forward to being able to use magic to kill things again in Infinity. It looks like I'll have a Newm for pure spellcasting and a Beast for melee/support so I can see which I like more. Thanks!

I was talking about PSP2, when I mentioned Damgrants slaying that aura'd delbiter. The only problem with forces in this version is that their difficulty is somewhat high in the beginning of the game, putting so many people off. Once you reach level 80 (to equip some of the decent extended low-level tech weapons) and have decent tech disk, it starts getting easier.

And you're welcome.

@ Crimson:

YES! An ally! Now we shall show these space elves the greatness of artificial nerves and metal chins!

Glad to see you've gotten the hang of playing a force!

vagabondkitten
Apr 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hence why people go with Cast force or AFROnewm. But male newmans being nonexistent and Casts being adamant in maintaining the stereotype about them being not good at techs, a paradox is born and thus, one can't get the best force, and must settle for some pirate magician or magical cat.

I know the whole "no male newmans" thing is a joke, but I've never got where it came from. -Has a male newman main-

Consider me another newman advocate either way :-P

Wayu
Apr 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
It depends on whether or not you're looking for maximum damage output or not. If so, linking 4 PAs to a rod with a female Newman is the way to go. There's your nuke, which Serizawa will be eventually.

For close-range teching the back row is not needed. All you need is Foverse and the Gi-techs. For the dark and light elements put Damgrants and Ramegid on instead.

-Wayu

Broken_L_button
Apr 14, 2011, 09:16 PM
I know the whole "no male newmans" thing is a joke, but I've never got where it came from. -Has a male newman main-

Look at the default male newman, then look at default female newman, now back to the male newman, now back to the female one. Sadly, the male doesn't look more manly than the female. But, if he adjusted his wardrobe and paid slightly more attention to his physique, he could seem like he's manly. Look down, back up, where are you? On the character creation screen, entertaining the thought of making a male beast much more fitting of the title of "man". What's that thought on your mind? That male beast has it. It's manly arms with strong biceps on them. Look again, that muscular beast is now a refined male Cast. Anything is possible when your male character looks like a man and not a lady.

That male Cast is on a Yaoroz.

It depends on whether or not you're looking for maximum damage output or not. If so, linking 4 PAs to a rod with a female Newman is the way to go. There's your nuke, which Serizawa will be eventually.

For close-range teching the back row is not needed. All you need is Foverse and the Gi-techs. For the dark and light elements put Damgrants and Ramegid on instead.

-Wayu

Good point. Though, with Foverse flinching the enemy and you casting a Gi-tech for even more flinching...Guarding still isn't a must, since these 2 scenarios are most likely to happen:

1- Everything will roll over and die.
2- You'll run to the hills.

And thus, since those two supplemental technique slots can be more useful than a guarding function that might not be used at all, I'd still prefer filling them up with the proper techs at all times. Damgrants having slightly less power than in PSP2 (lolkillingOlgaSpiritos), I'd prefer boosting it as well by filling up my rod as such: Grants-Damgrants/Nagrants-Resta. Not to mention Damgrants' range is sufficient for you to be able to escape if, by some heavenly miracle, the enemy survives your laser. For the dark techs...Even though megiverse is slightly more worth it for close-range, you'll be able to interrupt the technique and roll away/run away before the enemy can recover from flinching and do something dangerous.

...But, again, that's just me.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 14, 2011, 10:41 PM

Excellent. The Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line continues to grow steadily.

So you swayed her gentle heart by pouring massive amounts of material goods on her? How cunning...! I see how you newmen operate now, yes...

*sniff* b...but all I wanted was to make sure Deis didn't feel left out!

Look at the ...

Hmm, you didn't diss the ears this time at least. Still, I wish the beast male actually was using real muscle mass, because once he changes clothes, there goes all the enhanced biceps! Also, I'd like to point out that all the refined metal in the world won't help against a Sazonde spamming maniac...

The Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line disclaims all association with the PSPo2i default newman, for he has been classified as an Infinity Rank TRAP. For reference to a more typical newman male, the committee has nominated the previous default male candidate.

Good point. Though, with Foverse flinching the enemy and you casting a Gi-tech for even more flinching...Guarding still isn't a must, since these 2 scenarios are most likely to happen:

1- Everything will roll over and die.
2- You'll run to the hills.

Just a note in favour of guarding with a rod versus using up all the tech slots. While the utility of using resta instantly, and having slightly more tech variety at hand is invaluable, when surrounded by enemies in close quarters, that guard ability may be the only thing that will save your character from hitting the deck if you're good at Just Guarding.

There's also one case in which I say guarding is a must - when facing enemies like Angelus, Anastasis, Shizuru, etc. If you get stuck on a multipurpose rod when they start their most powerful attacks, you'd better pray that you remembered to bring along a scape doll or you've got a rod that can guard.

vagabondkitten
Apr 14, 2011, 11:33 PM
Look at the default male newman, then look at default female newman, now back to the male newman, now back to the female one. Sadly, the male doesn't look more manly than the female. But, if he adjusted his wardrobe and paid slightly more attention to his physique, he could seem like he's manly. Look down, back up, where are you? On the character creation screen, entertaining the thought of making a male beast much more fitting of the title of "man". What's that thought on your mind? That male beast has it. It's manly arms with strong biceps on them. Look again, that muscular beast is now a refined male Cast. Anything is possible when your male character looks like a man and not a lady.

I suppose the fact that mine has eye makeup isn't helping the cause. Nor that he's rather skinny. What can I say though? I prefer the pretty boy look myself ;-)

Wayu
Apr 15, 2011, 12:21 AM
@BLB: I like to get risky and deal as much damage as possible. There's also times where you WON'T be able to dodge or move out of the way; thus the Just Guard.

-Wayu

pso_crash
Apr 15, 2011, 03:39 AM
LOL, I was expecting something about "Go buy infinity" it this thread. This is entertaining and useful.

Merm
Apr 15, 2011, 04:47 AM
I suppose the fact that mine has eye makeup isn't helping the cause. Nor that he's rather skinny. What can I say though? I prefer the pretty boy look myself ;-)

Definitely. 8D Pretty boys FTW!

Anyway, I haven't used Longbows in a while, and definitely not since I imported my Force to Infinity. I'm glad to see they're usable now!

Also, have you suggested using R-Mags? They're pretty good for restoring PP and getting chains up.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 15, 2011, 05:15 AM
By Lou's beret, I leave for a moment and already chaos is amongst the newmans and Casts. Well, first thing first...

The Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line disclaims all association with the PSPo2i default newman, for he has been classified as an Infinity Rank TRAP. For reference to a more typical newman male, the committee has nominated the previous default male candidate.

So you admit that there is in fact no newman males in infinity. A rather simple way for your organization to contradict its own purpose. As for the previous, 'he' was just a tomboy-ish female newman who decided to wear a samurai getup one day and was spotted by the PSP2 development team, mistaking her for a newman male. At first she was about to correct their mistake, but upon loving the fame, went along with it. However, one day while under the influence of opium monofluids, she went face to face with a De-Ragan that was at the time being ridden backwards by a Cast.

She didn't have a Scape Doll that day, and to this day that Cast has her ears as a trophy. And that's the story of the 'male' newman.

@BLB: I like to get risky and deal as much damage as possible.

Doesn't that contradict with BLB's idea of stacking techs via element to gain more power?

And this whole idea that FOcasts and FOcaseals are the 'worst' seems a bit misleading. The only difference in damage is but a few digits, which may need another casting or two to kill stuff, but that's it. A Force by any other race is still a Force.

Of course, unlike the other races, Casts can work all classes real nice :grin:

Wayu
Apr 15, 2011, 05:34 AM
Sure, they can work all classes but others work it better.

I probably should rephrase that. I like to deal as much damage in close quarters using the more powerful techs - the Gi techs. Blast as many Gi techniques as possible and get out at the last second.

-Wayu

Crimson The FOmar
Apr 15, 2011, 06:36 AM
Definitely. 8D Pretty boys FTW!

Anyway, I haven't used Longbows in a while, and definitely not since I imported my Force to Infinity. I'm glad to see they're usable now!

Also, have you suggested using R-Mags? They're pretty good for restoring PP and getting chains up.

I wouldn't recommend R-mags anymore.. Some like Elsral, with stun or some other good status could be nice as a novelty..

I used to use a Shag Hejiz R-mag, paired with a wand in PSP1, but R-mags were nerfed hard from PSP1 to 2, slower firing rate, therefore lower damage, you can no longer dance around a group casting while you R-mag does a lot of damage. For that reason I's say more economical to just go with a shield, haha. I concede however that one with a higher rate like Opa-Opa may be useful for chaining, but I haven't managed to obtain one so I can't say...

Of course, the immortal rule :p If you find them fun, use them, why not? :p

Wayu
Apr 15, 2011, 08:51 AM
Opa-Opa fires faster? I have one that dropped from a Savage Wolf in Fiery Onslaught but haven't used R-mags at all so dunno.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
Apr 15, 2011, 09:02 AM
It had a (rather fast) rapid-fire function in PSP1. Don't know if the speed is still the same in PSP2/i.

As for using them as chain-builders/PP regen, it doesn't seem worth it. Twin Handguns can take care of chain building, and Double Sabers can effectively do both. Of course, in PSP2i, as tech cost was reduced, these aren't as necessary as they were, since tech spamming is now possible without too much worry of running out of PP.

Tl:dr - Sazonde

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
By Lou's beret, I leave for a moment and already chaos is amongst the newmans and Casts. Well, first thing first...

B...bu...but they started dissing our ears first!

So you admit that there is in fact no newman males in infinity. A rather simple way for your organization to contradict its own purpose. As for the previous, 'he' was just a tomboy-ish female newman who decided to wear a samurai getup one day and was spotted by the PSP2 development team, mistaking her for a newman male.

Aha, then allow us to present exhibit A. Though the Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line has no interest in defending the fashion sense of certain newmans, we shall simply strive to present some clarifying information.

As you can see, witness A has declared that although the original default newman is in fact cross-dressing, he is still actually male. That apocryphal story is propaganda spread by those envious of the typical male newman's distinctive bishounen look.

And now for exhibit B, forgive us for unleashing this horror upon Gurhal as proof that male newmans exist in Infinity...

[spoiler-box]

http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-01.jpg

... the manliest newman to walk Gurhal.

http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-02.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-03.jpg

Speak to the AFRO!!!

http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-04.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-05.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-06.jpg http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/afro-07.jpg [/spoiler-box]

And this whole idea that FOcasts and FOcaseals are the 'worst' seems a bit misleading. The only difference in damage is but a few digits, which may need another casting or two to kill stuff, but that's it. A Force by any other race is still a Force.

I think that's pretty much distinctive of this PS series - there's never been any one superior race by a huge measure. I feel that the pp regen differential is a bigger factor to consider than overall max stats. ^_^

----------------------

About R-Mags, since Infinity, I've barely used R-Mags, except with my dewman, and even she may stop using them once I collect more scythe themed rods and axes. (Just found a Liberacion, finally!)

One potential use for R-Mags isn't actually under the purview of forces imo, but more for Bravers/Vanguards - use a single hand bladed weapon and a R-Mag equipped with Sazonde to Square and Gizonde to Triangle. Use Sazonde and the single hand weapon to build the chain and disrupt movement, then close in while spamming Gizonde or some other Gi-tech.

For forces at least, there's no major upside to using a R-Mag in the face of rods and wands, so it's again down to personal preference. For example, I have a soft spot for the Magadoog after collecting quite a few of them, as I do also for the Dol Vaverg for some reason. XD

Wayu
Apr 15, 2011, 09:47 AM
^

You confused a T-Mag with an R-Mag.

R is for Ranged.

-Wayu

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
Ah.

Excuse me while I assume the depressed fetal position. orz

@Broken L Button: Was reading through the updated guide, and there's one thing I think you should add about Nosdiga. In certain stages with raised platforms (and a few flat areas with strange invisible divisions on the floor) Nosdiga is rendered ineffective because the snakes cannot go past an invisible barrier. This seems present in both versions of the game, and while it's not a game-breaker, it can cause one to waste PP unnecessarily.

Wayu
Apr 15, 2011, 09:59 AM
Noszonde and Nosmegid, however, can bypass invisible barriers just like how bullets can as well, and can change their altitude depending on the locked-up enemy, making them extremely useful on enemies that 'fly' up.

-Wayu

RenzokukenZ
Apr 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
Shizuru is claimed to be a 'he', yet just like the default 'male' newman, there are no traces of testosterone to back up such claims, and thus, your argument is invalid.

And the person in those photos is but another female newman under the influence of opium monofluids. Must be a popular trend among newmans these days. That being said, I request that those photos are censored. This is a family forum, after all.

It seems that your desperado to defend the newman way has confused you of the differences between the T and the R.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
Actually, you don't even need to lock on. You just need visual line of sight.

@RenzokukenZ: Damn. And Wayu and I were just building up our first combo in a long while.

Oh dear, the propaganda has taken too deep a hold on you. Fight it my friend! Also, you will now have to excuse me again while I scrub my brain clean of imagery of muscular newman women overdosing on steroids.

Man, I gotta get Shard some of them opium monofluids you talk about.

Edit: Also, there will be no argument from the Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line over the gender of a certain human named Shizuru.

Wayu
Apr 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
Then again, canon-wise for Serizawa's backstory she isn't a Newman anyways.

-Wayu

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 10:52 AM
NOES~~~~! An ally has abandoned the line!

Ahem.

@Wayu: Yeah, I recall seeing something about that previously, though for the life of me I can't recall where. One of the RP threads you participate in I think.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
Clearly BLB's guide has not been ninja'ed to be the staging ground for opium monofluid-abusing newmans and naked opium monofluid-abusing newmans.

No sir.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
Damn, another combo breaker!

Sir! I must protest your implication that we newmans are enhancement drug abusing exhibitionists! I am shocked at the accusation, shocked I say!

RenzokukenZ
Apr 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
Damn, another combo breaker!

Sir! I must protest your implication that we newmans are enhancement drug abusing exhibitionists! I am shocked at the accusation, shocked I say!

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gallery/pso/hunewm.gif

Need I say more?

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
I am afraid to tell you my friend - that is from VR data found in the SEED Battleship Rycross, and is not a newman native to Gurhal. Not one of our present day newmans would dare to be seen in such a getup.

Besides, despite his unelegant appearance, how can he be an exhibitionist without removing all his clothing? However, I shall agree with you that this poor example of a newman has clearly taken too many enhancement drugs, given his musculature.

Broken_L_button
Apr 15, 2011, 09:04 PM
@ Crystal_Shard: That series of pictures has scarred me forever. Now I must re-initialize my database and download a previous back-up of my cerebral information.

Also, I'll add that tidbit about Nosdiga.

And after that, WHOO!! Brain bleach time!

Crystal_Shard
Apr 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
@ Crystal_Shard: That series of pictures has scarred me forever. Now I must re-initialize my database and download a previous back-up of my cerebral information.

Also, I'll add that tidbit about Nosdiga.

And after that, WHOO!! Brain bleach time!

Yes, a shallow victory! The Newman Pointy Ear Defense Line fights with all available means...

Oh wait, we appear to fighting the wrong battle again. We apologise for the inconvenience. Now what was the battle cry again... ah yes. FOR THE EARS!

Also, come on over here and grab a bottle of brain bleach! I've been trying to scrub that additional imagery from my mind since... last... night...

GYAAAAAH! IMAGES OF MUSCULAR NEWMAN WOMEN OVERDOSING ENHANCEMENT DRUGS ARE IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN!

*glug, glug glug*

Anyway, apologies for the thread hijack. Nosdiga's an excellent pre infinity chain builder, and is still powerful in Infinity, but it does have its weaknesses. Those invisible boundaries seem to me more like a level design error in the way the stages are laid out. Even piles of snow in the snowfield can break the advance of Nosdiga from time to time.

Merm
Apr 16, 2011, 08:00 AM
I guess that is a little true on the R-Mags. D: Though I still think they're quite useful.

BLB, you may want to add that in psp2i, you can guard with Rods if you don't put techs on the R-trigger slots. I do this for the extra firepower with still a bit of Defense as well. Also for saving inventory space because having Rainbow sets of Magic sticks take up a lot of space. 8D;;;

Wayu
Apr 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
^

Yeeeeeaaaaaah...I kinda mentioned that quite a few posts ago...

-Wayu

Merm
Apr 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ohhhh whoops. Didn't see, and he hadn't put that in his first post. My mistake and apologies!

Broken_L_button
Apr 16, 2011, 02:21 PM
@ Wayu and Merm: I bleached my brain right after adding the info about Nosdiga, so I forgot I had to add this bit too. I'll add it post-haste.

EDIT: WAIT A SECOND! It was already there :<

Though, I'll hand it to you, it wasn't written clearly enough.

@ Crystal_Shard:

Eh, thread hijacking is fine to me if it's mixed with useful info and corrections. IMO, having certain solid objects on the field block techniques travelling on the ground makes the game much more interesting, as it forces you to still take your position in the battlefield into account. But if it's an invisible solid object, then I totally disapprove.

@ Renzo: I doubt anybody can say anything against this kind of evidence.