PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Making the Switch — conversion woes

MESeele
Apr 16, 2011, 05:52 PM
Yay! My order for psp2i just shipped. However, soon after I read the confirmation it dawned on me that I'd need to convert my save somehow :/ . I am aware of the process, but I have a 3000 so am rendered unable to convert it myself. With 300+ hours overall, I am hesitant about starting over - plus I really don't want to 9.9 . I like my newman.

Sooooo, with my plea having been heard, I was hoping that someone who still has the necessary setup would be willing to convert my save. I know I missed the boat with funkyskunk, and the guy doing conversions on the sega site has since stopped as well - so this is pretty much a very hopeful shot in the dark.

I figured I'd post this now before the copy arrives, given that my desired answer is not likely to be imminent.^^;

So umm, near eternal gratitude and ego cookies for whoever saves me :D

Wynn<3
Apr 17, 2011, 08:29 AM
Someone from Sega forums is still doing save conversions not Aida but someone else pm him on there I'm sure he will do it. His name is Tyss.

MESeele
Apr 17, 2011, 11:22 AM
It's the SAVEDATA.bin I need right?

//Ugh, he said this is the final batch, so it feels like a mad dash to make it lol

Btw Thanks a lot for the quick link!!

Wynn<3
Apr 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
It's been a while since i've done it but it's either the whole save data or the NPJH file.

MESeele
Apr 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
I ended up just zipping the entire thing. All that's left is to wait and see. Suppose I'll be finishing up okamiden in the meantime.

Thanks again for the help! *Hands over an ego cookie* Enjoy :D

Siiepher
Apr 18, 2011, 02:13 AM
I would love to do it...
But I don't really know how o3o

MESeele
Apr 18, 2011, 03:58 AM
I'll keep you in mind should my taken actions completely fall flat and crush me :)

It's a process that requires many resources though, and straining enough that doing it enough times is known to bust memory cards and apparently psps as well :(

AzureBlaze
Apr 18, 2011, 11:55 PM
Does anyone who is in a rush to convert in order to play inf know if you can convert back?
If it's a scramble now, do you think it's going to be a 10x worse one once they actually let inf out over here? (if such a thing is possible, and I wouldn't guess it'd be impossible)

GeoSword
Apr 19, 2011, 12:08 AM
It can be done, actually. I did that with PSP1 and PSP2. The only problem I saw was that some items decriptions/visuals were different or changed and EXP gaining was different as well but that was about it.

MESeele
Apr 19, 2011, 05:09 AM
Does anyone who is in a rush to convert in order to play inf know if you can convert back?
If it's a scramble now, do you think it's going to be a 10x worse one once they actually let inf out over here? (if such a thing is possible, and I wouldn't guess it'd be impossible)

Nah, I don't plan on going back to the english version even if it does happen to be released locally. Too many collaborations we'd simply be denied outright. Outside of kanji, I get by pretty well. Most of the kanji present comes from story mode anyway. Tbh, the only other phantasy star I've played is pso, and I sure didn't play that for it's riveting single player story. I'll just read a spoiler after completing it.

Only reason I'm in a rush is that my copy is currently on its way. That and anyone still willing to convert seems to be on their last legs.

As for re-converting back, many on this site and gamefaqs did just that when vanilla came out.

Had I not been afraid of importing, I probably would have gotten the jpn version vanilla right from the get-go. But I digress :sleepy:

AzureBlaze
Apr 20, 2011, 11:18 PM
It is wonderful to know that converting back is possible, and seems to work well.

I'm kind of anticipating a huge crunch on it once we get our release date here. Everyone seems to have discovered 'hey psu 2 was fun, inf is still more fun, and ST is slow'. I am imagining a lot of imports.

I'm not in your same boat on the ability to read it. I find it super frusterating even though I am doing flashcards and all for the letters. I just wanted to play a game in a normal amount of time, but I guess learning another language is coming along for the ride. (Like, if they'd of done world-wide1 month later or something, I'd of never imported)

Since I can't read it well, it's not as much fun for me. I'll def. be at the head of any line for converting back once we get our date. Plus, experiencing the story, not just some summary seems important since they're doing a better job with those too.

MESeele
Apr 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
Flash cards huh? I had to learn both alphabets in the first week lol. Not fun. If you just learn the letters, you don't really need anything more to get by. Most weapons are in katakana, and so are just phonetic representations of english words. Easy enough to translate. Given the target demographic, most japanese worth reading in this game utilizes a large amount of kanji, which basically renders most foreigners unable to read it regardless of how much else they know.

As for a method to learn the alphabets, rather than flash cards; which never worked for me, try drawing out the chart. If you can write the characters, you will have no problem recognizing them. I found it much easier to learn that way than to stare at a picture and wrack my brain for its sound and try and permanently associate the two :/ . The phonetics follow a really simple pattern when laid out that way. Just draw out all the characters you know. Check back after each attempt. Keep writing them out. Eventually you'll fill out the entire chart.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DalksGnBehA/SKWQz93lG0I/AAAAAAAAAFg/28WuhUic9X8/s400/katakana-chart.gif

I wouldn't bother writing out the english meaning beside it. Eventually you'll just start hearing the sound as you write them out. Sounds like adding extra steps, but if flash cards don't work well, you may well be in the same learning boat as me. You may be far more successful this way.

I know it can be frustrating. Everyone told me that flash cards were the best way...and most people get results with it. I just felt like an idiot because nothing would stick :'( . Then I exclaimed "screw this" - or a slightly more derogatory variation, and did it a way I felt would work.

Ah, though you won't get much use out of learning hiragana for this game specifically, I do suggest learning it first, if only on the chance that you decide to continue learning the language later on. Don't be discouraged! Fight ON! :D

DeviFoxx
Apr 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
Flash Cards help. That's how I began years ago. But what really helps most people I find is childhood songs or other mnemonic techniques.

Like the "ABC's / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song for example. There's a Japanese version of that, too. When you take a beginner's Japanese class for the first time, some teachers prefer to use that to teach students. Like this one I was made to recite:

♪ A I U E O, Ka ki ku ke ko ♪

♪ Sa shi su se so, Ta chi tsu te to ♪

♪ Ha hi fu he ho, Na ni nu ne no ♪

♪ Ma mi mu me mo, ya yu yo~♪

♪ Ra ri ru re ro, wa (w)o n... Hiragana zenbu oboeta yo! ♪

(The last line meaning "I remembered all Hiragana!") The song works for Katakana too since they both have the same number of characters and read the same.

But if anyone doesn't know Hiragana, here's some children's songs from YouTube that teach the alphabet easily to children / foreigners.

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrMkJAzbWQc[/SPOILER-BOX] << This one's easiest, I think.

These two go a little bit more in depth.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJTtnRpQzk Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSaQOjIbBQ Part 2[/SPOILER-BOX]

I hope that helps a little bit. Katakana's just as easy to memorize as Hiragana, I think.

joshboyd1209
Apr 22, 2011, 12:46 AM
I hope that helps a little bit. Katakana's just as easy to memorize as Hiragana, I think.
Unless you're me. Then learning it will take 4-5 years(and that's just to memorize one of them! ).

MESeele
Apr 22, 2011, 12:56 AM
Flash Cards help. That's how I began years ago. But what really helps most people I find is childhood songs or other mnemonic techniques.

I never said flash cards didn't. But for him it obviously isn't procuring much in the way of results. People are different. Flash cards don't help everyone.

Good call on the singing techniques. I used to do that a lot too. Forgot about that for some reason.

DeviFoxx
Apr 22, 2011, 01:08 AM
Yeah. Nursery Rhymes are always a good way to go. The human brain's pretty good at remembering things especially when they're set to a melody or tune of some kind.

Ohh! Ohh!! Here's a better version of one of the videos I posted earlier. This one'll teach both Hiragana and Katakana at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zxuy6eojZY

Who knows, maybe someone'll sticky this somewhere in case somebody wants to learn to read basic Japanese.

joshboyd1209
Apr 22, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah. Nursery Rhymes are always a good way to go. The human brain's pretty good at remembering things especially when they're set to a melody or tune of some kind.

Ohh! Ohh!! Here's a better version of one of the videos I posted earlier. This one'll teach both Hiragana and Katakana at the same time.

YouTube - Complete Japanese Alphabet Song - Katakana - Hiragana - ??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zxuy6eojZY)

Who knows, maybe someone'll sticky this somewhere in case somebody wants to learn to read basic Japanese.
hmmm that one might actually work for me. However if I really need to translate something I'll probably just go to wikipedia they have some charts with all of the symbols and which sounds they make.

MESeele
Apr 23, 2011, 09:47 PM
Anyway, I figured a quick update is in need to bring my tale up to speed.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Misselaineous10/failyy1.png

Missed the sega conversion boat lol. By a few days. Again. :disapprove:

Edit: It seems a beacon has lit up that may beckon me through the fog that has since consumed my sight, so it seems my story is not over yet! :D

Next time on Coversion tales "The blade that beckons the dawn!" Expect a lot of fanservice next time too! (wait, what!?)

Zarode
Apr 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Anyway, I figured a quick update is in need to bring my tale up to speed.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Misselaineous10/failyy1.png

Missed the sega conversion boat lol. By a few days. Again. :disapprove:

Edit: It seems a beacon has lit up that may beckon me through the fog that has since consumed my sight, so it seems my story is not over yet! :D

Next time on Coversion tales "The blade that beckons the dawn!" Expect a lot of fanservice next time too! (wait, what!?)

Throw your whole save file on mediafire and I'll do it for you.

MESeele
Apr 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
Wow. This is unexpected. An extended lull, then multiple people generously offer. :)

I only just recently got a PM concerning it. I won't be so selfish as to make it into a competition though, so I will wait for them. I really appreciate your offering as well, but I won't be a dick to the person whom I just talked about it with. On the off chance it should fall apart, I'd only hope that your offer still stands, but I hope it doesn't come to that ;D . I hope you understand, I don't mean any ill by declining.

MESeele
Apr 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
One more update.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/LyrLbCmkjzU/0.jpg

That episode didn't last long at all :D

Anyway, I want to thank GeoSword for the much sought after assistance in converting my save. Yay!

--
EDIT: Gah! They talk during non-cutscenes now! And Emilia sounds way better! And O is A while X is B! (though I can't remember if that last one was the same in the last game or not...I've been playing a lot of okamiden lately, so I can't remember). Awesome, since they vocalize the kanji, I can understand more than I thought I would. I am pleased.

Now...to go make my duman.