PDA

View Full Version : I can't be the only one who wants this particular feature...

ChronoTrigga
Apr 26, 2011, 01:21 AM
Voice chat. Yes, dare I say it. Voice chat. It's become a staple of alot of online video games, even though most of them don't support it (World of Warcraft, Minecraft, etc.), but instead resort to programs like Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

What I'm saying is, how cool would it be for you to be able to voice chat with your buddies while playing, but at the same time, your characters face pops up, and lip sync's what you say in a non-laggy manner.

If I remember correctly, Team Fortress Classic did this when they added voice chat, when you spoke, your character's mouth moved with your voice. Why don't more online games do this?

RemiusTA
Apr 26, 2011, 01:28 AM
I dont really care. I used my keyboard more than my mic even when i switched to 360.

It's almost a necessity at this point though, being a 2011 developed MMO.

Corey Blue
Apr 26, 2011, 01:28 AM
I like the idea,but I have no clue what SEGA is doing,and they did say they would have a new way to chat in the first trailer video.

NoiseHERO
Apr 26, 2011, 01:29 AM
It's gonna be pc only, theres like 2 popular programs where you can voice chat your friends...

I don't wanna hear boring strangers voices...

Zarode
Apr 26, 2011, 01:31 AM
Japanese are too shy to use it.

RemiusTA
Apr 26, 2011, 01:31 AM
Yeah, the way some people sounded was either dull or just downright annoying.

It's kind of like the oldschool JRPGs. You know, FF7-9, Breath of Fire. Your voice in my head is perfect; dont go screw it up.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 26, 2011, 01:35 AM
Could make for some hilarious moments though....

*Tiny hunewearl walks in....does sexy pose*

*Booming black man voice*

Nitro Vordex
Apr 26, 2011, 01:39 AM
I think maybe if they had extended support for some other VoIP client then maybe. Otherwise I'd definitely want it optional.

Syl
Apr 26, 2011, 02:09 AM
I agree with Nitro. Most people will end up using Mumble or Vent anyways. If WoW's voice chat is any indication of failure...

Zarode
Apr 26, 2011, 02:11 AM
Make like Valve and use the SILK codec.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 26, 2011, 02:44 AM
Make like Valve and use the SILK codec.

Meh, silk codec raped my voice chat when I play TF2. I can no longer use voice chat in TF2 without static raping my teammates ears.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 26, 2011, 07:08 AM
Voice chat is dumb. Text all the way.

Skye-Fox713
Apr 26, 2011, 07:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgQDBFKkW0

Watch the whole thing its pretty funny and was the exact thing that I thought of and the closest I could come up with.

Akaimizu
Apr 26, 2011, 08:33 AM
I tend to favor Voice Chat on full blown action games, in which both hands are usually in constant use either fighting, or quickly switching weapons. It's those time-based games which I tend to favor text chat. Even WoW. There's hardly a reason to *need* voice chat there because it's an active time turn-based kind of experience. Fire off stuff, wait for cooldown, there's no major positional combat tactic outside of a few steps there.

Plenty of time to throw text chats around in those systems. The primary reason it wasn't used that much. This new video makes things look kind of fast. Like Gears of War fast. Like 1 step down from Soul Calibur fast. That's definitely VC territory, in my opinion.

Wayu
Apr 26, 2011, 08:47 AM
I find voices quite distracting. Personally I don't want this, but it would be nice for an optional feature.

Just in case I want to play with personal friends.

-Wayu

Tetsaru
Apr 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
Voice chat is dumb. Text all the way.

I'd prefer voice chat over text chat when playing with close friends. It's near impossible to type while still keeping your character moving and in the fight, and it's a LOT easier to communicate team tactics on the fly when all you have to do is say them.

Playing with randoms though... yeah, sometimes I don't always want to voice chat, simply for the fact that there are trolls, idiots, elitists, and whiny little kids that play online too, and I'd much rather not listen to them. Of course, a simple mute, boot, ban, or report feature usually fixes this.

Even if they don't implement voice chat in-game, my friends and I still have a Teamspeak server that we use practically everyday, so it's no big deal.

Akaimizu
Apr 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
True. That's the one nice thing about computers, you can always multitask a voice chat feature for friends, regardless.

r00tabaga
Apr 26, 2011, 09:00 AM
text > voice

Dragwind
Apr 26, 2011, 09:04 AM
I tend to favor Voice Chat on full blown action games, in which both hands are usually in constant use either fighting, or quickly switching weapons. It's those time-based games which I tend to favor text chat. Even WoW. There's hardly a reason to *need* voice chat there because it's an active time turn-based kind of experience. Fire off stuff, wait for cooldown, there's no major positional combat tactic outside of a few steps there.

Plenty of time to throw text chats around in those systems. The primary reason it wasn't used that much. This new video makes things look kind of fast. Like Gears of War fast. Like 1 step down from Soul Calibur fast. That's definitely VC territory, in my opinion.

That's a pretty good argument. I prefer voice chat mostly as it doesn't distract my hands at all. I also tend to find it much more entertaining to use voice chat with friends rather than constantly using text. It makes conversation feel a lot more engaging to me, and especially fun to me.

Unless there will be any serious split-second decision teamwork going on, it probably shouldn't be required, but I feel it should definitely be an option. Especially an in-game option. Eventually it feels like text based communication on games will be phased out anyways.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Apr 26, 2011, 09:08 AM
I prefer text, although I guess voice has some benefits, it might get rid of trolling somewhat. But I tend to find, when PC gaming the only people who use a mic will be serious gamers, directing orders in game etc which is fine, or loud mouthed Americans. Now this isn't a stereotype, or maybe it is, but people i've played with have lived up to this without fail. But the loudest most annyoing people i've met online are always American, they always never know when to shut up and always get booted from teams post haste once they've tried, tested and smashed everyone's tolerance levels for bullshit. Now of course there'll be other annoying people out there, however it tends to be kids, and given a mic....well I dread to think. But I often hear complaints from friends that Xbox Live is bad for one thing, voice chat and all the BS it can bring with it.

So voice is a blessing and a curse, on a game such as this...no idea. I tried Xbox PSU and it was a lag fest, thus voice never worked so i can't really guage it's effectiveness. But both can't be a bad thing? So long as we have the option to mute player voice chat if their voice/personna is abrasive.

I say bring back symbol chat though, seeing everyones creativity let loose was awwwsome :)

Tifa

Evila
Apr 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
Built-in voice chat would be convenient for people into that, but I don't see it happening. Is there any JP MMO with that built-in? Regardless of what happens, there's always external programs.

I only voice chat regularly with a few friends so I can't say I care if such a feature is included or not. Some pushy folks dragged me onto their vent server in the early days of PSU and I probably spoke a whole three sentences. I can hardly bear most conversations with randoms in text form. Voice just makes it even more unbearable.

Skye-Fox713
Apr 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
All I have to say about voice chat is that if they have it built into PSO2 as an option I'd be totally fine with it and welcome it with open arms. However it they don't include it I wouldn't miss it.

Another game I currently play is called Vindictus, its an action rps like pso ect... Anyways up to like lv 15 or so I hand no idea the game had voice chat and was able to communicate just fine with text chat. Well one day I joined a lobby for a mission and suddenly out of no where one of the party members started talking with the built in voice chat and my reaction was "oh dam this game has build in voice chat, cool". Sense then I've only used it like once, other wise the missions are usualy silent and the only talking is through the macros of "well done" and "Thank You". Which is really odd because the Boss fights play a lot like Monster Hunter-esk boss fights.

Kaziel
Apr 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
I'd rather keep it text. If you want to chat, you can always use a voice program such as Vent, they always tend to work A LOT better than the ingame voice chat programs.

Not to mention there's free alternatives as well. :grin:

eclipsXe
Apr 26, 2011, 03:41 PM

LOL Yo play DCUO you will get that alot,

I think it should be mic compatible, as long as you can mute people and all that

Ark22
Apr 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
*Guy speaking a different language* I can't understand you!!
*Continues to speak*.That's where a mute button will come in handy

Malachite
Apr 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a lot of you suffer from social anxiety, lol.

But honestly, yeah, I don't want voice chat in any PSO game. It just doesn't suit it, and you don't really need it for a game like this.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 26, 2011, 05:09 PM
I know there are alternative voice programs, but I hate having to add each and every random individual to my voice chat, because I like playing with random people alot because my experience playing with people I know usually ends up in grind fests in finding their particular wanted item on PSO rather than just enjoying the game and randomly finding stuff instead of playing the same area, over and over and over and over. And I hope to god there isn't a TTF in this game. That kind ruins ** cuz that's all people want to play. lol

NoiseHERO
Apr 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
I dunno...

I've never been fond of playing with random people...

It's not even about being shy, I just hate people. :0

The few people that slip into the cool area, or guilds and friend lists; shouldn't be complicated to add them to your voice programs.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
My problem is I don't like playing with the same people most of the time because they are selfish. Which is kind of why I stopped playing with Dreamstation members hence me giving up the Guild leader spot on PSOBB when we were all boss.

rezakon
Apr 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
I never liked integrated voice chat in games, it's always broken and always spikes your ping leave you open to many things.

Blueblur
Apr 26, 2011, 10:45 PM
That's a pretty good argument. I prefer voice chat mostly as it doesn't distract my hands at all. I also tend to find it much more entertaining to use voice chat with friends rather than constantly using text. It makes conversation feel a lot more engaging to me, and especially fun to me.

Unless there will be any serious split-second decision teamwork going on, it probably shouldn't be required, but I feel it should definitely be an option. Especially an in-game option. Eventually it feels like text based communication on games will be phased out anyways.
I feel the same way. And even if voice chat isn't integrated into the game, I'll stay away from text chat whenever possible and stick with Mumble or Ventrilo.

landman
Apr 27, 2011, 02:00 PM
I don't want to chat with random people, specially when most of them want me to speak in a foreign language, and for friends, we already use Ventrilo :)

Tetsaru
Apr 27, 2011, 02:08 PM
Regardless of what chat functions PSO2 implements, I think it would extremely beneficial to have an auto-translate function for specific words/phrases so that people from different regions can still communicate over the language barrier. FF11 had something like this, and I thought it was ingenious. Of course, given PSU's Agito "Repca" and "Nel's" Claw, as well as the retarded censorship system (in which they REALLY need an option to turn that off) and lack of word-wrapping, I'm not too confident that Sega could pull off something like that... >_>;

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
For the umpteenth time, "Repca" is the correct localization.

Galax
Apr 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
For the umpteenth time, "Repca" is the correct localization.

I thought it was meant to be Replica...But I guess you learn something every day. Or so I've heard.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 27, 2011, 03:59 PM
It's Repca in Japanese, too. It's supposed to be a nonce word, just like half the stuff in the series.

KodiaX987
Apr 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
Voice chat is the best thing to happen to co-op online gaming since the birth of Jesus. They best put it in if they know what's good for 'em.

If you're too shy to speak on a mic to people on the Internet, I can recommend you a few very good psychologists.

BIG OLAF
Apr 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'll more than likely be playing PSO2 with people I already know, and therefor just use the Xbox LIVE party chat function whilst playing on my PC, which will only be mere feet away.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
Voice chat. Yes, dare I say it. Voice chat. It's become a staple of alot of online video games, even though most of them don't support it (World of Warcraft, Minecraft, etc.), but instead resort to programs like Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

Actually, World of Warcraft does support native voice chat, but no one uses it. The chief preference seems to be Ventrilo or Teamspeak, because they're more flexible, reliable, and people already know what to do with them.

There's no need to include integrated voice chat, though it might be good if the game is developed with it in mind that some users will want to use external voice chat applications.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 27, 2011, 04:16 PM
Voice chat is the best thing to happen to co-op online gaming since the birth of Jesus. They best put it in if they know what's good for 'em.

If you're too shy to speak on a mic to people on the Internet, I can recommend you a few very good psychologists.Sorry, I don't like to hear or talk over the Internet to people with whom I am not quite familiar. A lot of people feel this way, and there's nothing particularly pathological about it.

pikachief
Apr 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
I must prefer text more than anything and less things to work with when u dont have a mic but I will say that people are funnier and more entertaining when speaking than in text :D lol so friends are fun but even then i usually type rather then talk when i played PSU on XBOX

Blueblur
Apr 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
If you're too shy to speak on a mic to people on the Internet, I can recommend you a few very good psychologists.

Okay, that's a bit much.

Malachite
Apr 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
Naw, that is actually pretty bad lol. If you can't talk to some random loser on the internet, how do you speak to strangers in person?

Ark22
Apr 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
Naw, that is actually pretty bad lol. If you can't talk to some random loser on the internet, how do you speak to strangers in person?

You say......So...how about that weather? Then go on from there

Galax
Apr 27, 2011, 05:22 PM

This is a rather...stupid question.
I don't think it was thought out.
Yes, I'm totally going to walk up to some guy that I don't know in real life and try to strike up a conversation. Yeah that's gonna happen. The internet also acts as a mask. Even with voice chat, they don't actually know you. You can be different. It's easier without a mic, though. Hell, I'm not sure some of my friends in real life would recognize me on XBL, except for my voice.

Malachite
Apr 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
Um, I donno about you, but a socially active person generally talks to people they don't know on a daily basis.

I already stated that I don't want mics in PSO2, but I just think it's ridiculous that some people feel they're too "shy" just to talk to people they don't know.

@ Ark22, lol, it was a rhetorical question.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
It's not a matter of shyness.

Complete anonymity is one of my favorite parts of the Internet. Start putting voices to the disembodied text, and you start messing with the illusion.

Galax
Apr 27, 2011, 05:30 PM
a socially active person

Exactly. Not all of us are socially active.

Blueblur
Apr 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
Um, I donno about you, but a socially active person generally talks to people they don't know on a daily basis.

I already stated that I don't want mics in PSO2, but I just think it's ridiculous that some people feel they're too "shy" just to talk to people they don't know.

@ Ark22, lol, it was a rhetorical question.

Why would you want people deprived of a feature you won't use? Just don't use it. Text chat will always be an option.

Ark22
Apr 27, 2011, 05:33 PM
Exactly. Not all of us are socially active.

Well...I can't really vouch seeing I am talking to humans just through codes and texts =D!

As for Social in real life,I am :P but rather not have Voice chat unless I am with my closest friend...or a girl who sounds like she is 16-19

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
Why would you want people deprived of a feature you won't use? Just don't use it. Text chat will always be an option.I understand that line of thinking, but if you put it in the game, it becomes inconvenient to people who don't want it. People will start expecting you to use it, and will use voice instead of text, meaning I'll miss out on what they have to say. Alternatively, if I do want to use voice chat with close friends, I'll have to mess with the options constantly to turn it on and off depending on the situation.

It just makes more sense to use a separate program for voice.

Anyway, this is a moot point, as I can pretty much guarantee you the game will not have innate voice chat. The Japanese players are so paranoid that they censor their character in any pictures they post; there's no way they'd go for voice chat.

or a girl who sounds like she is 16-19This is another problem with voice chat. Creepers.

Evila
Apr 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
There's also this thing called introversion. Not all of us have the interest or energy for gabbing away to complete strangers. By the time I get online I just want to relax.

Galax
Apr 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
That "girl" could be a 13 year old boy who has a girly voice because he hasn't hit puberty yet :p

Ark22
Apr 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
Nah chick gamers are cool,Plus alot of guys have this whisp to them

Blueblur
Apr 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
I understand that line of thinking, but if you put it in the game, it becomes inconvenient to people who don't want it. People will start expecting you to use it, and will use voice instead of text, meaning I'll miss out on what they have to say. Alternatively, if I do want to use voice chat with close friends, I'll have to mess with the options constantly to turn it on and off depending on the situation.

It just makes more sense to use a separate program for voice.

Anyway, this is a moot point, as I can pretty much guarantee you the game will not have innate voice chat. The Japanese players are so paranoid that they censor their character in any pictures they post; there's no way they'd go for voice chat.
This is another problem with voice chat. Creepers.

I very much doubt that you'd miss much. A polite player would write back to you in text. It wouldn't be a huge inconvenience like you made it out to be. PSU on the 360 functions this way now and I've never seen anyone complain about the inclusion of such a standard feature. And you complained about having to toggle voice on and off; mute features exist and they're simple to use as long the software allows you map it to a key and/or displays it in an easily accessible menu.

And "creepers" aren't limited to simply voice chat. Any form of communication can be used for malicious purposes. You guys are just coming up with excuses simply because you dislike voice chat. Imagine if I argued that text chat should taken out because I'd be forced to read? Truly ridiculous.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 27, 2011, 05:48 PM
You're probably right, I'm just highly partial to the type of conversation that can be had via text as compared to voice. It sort of acts as a filter, so people only say things they can be bothered to type out, instead of just flapping their gums about nothing.

Malachite
Apr 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
I completely agree with Ffuzzy. Generally, gamers won't type for you if you have your mic options turned off, and thus you will be left out of the loop if you don't want to use voice chat. I know that much.

Honestly, if you really need voice chat, use Vent or something. I'd much rather deal with someone's annoying text than someone's annoying voice.

レッドファンタシースター
Apr 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
They should have the voice chat in it. If you don't want to use it just type back. Also it kinda helps from G.I.R.L from asking for free items (If aloud to drop). Some people are really gullible. *Ahem* (SOME). Be great for a block function as well.

Blueblur
Apr 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
You're probably right, I'm just highly partial to the type of conversation that can be had via text as compared to voice. It sort of acts as a filter, so people only say things they can be bothered to type out, instead of just flapping their gums about nothing.

Now that I understand. And I'm sure you will find plenty of like-minded people online regardless of voice chat's inclusion.

NoiseHERO
Apr 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
You must be 12 if you care about people being G.I.R.L.s :0

The general Idea is that it works both ways, but built in just makes a certain mentality among the playerbase that doesn't fit with everyone(people that DON'T want to use mics with strangers or CAN'T.)

Ark22
Apr 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
Darn right.I rather have people have time to type essential things(unless they are Gods at keyboarding)

Galax
Apr 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
Darn right.I rather have people have time to type essential things(unless they are Gods at keyboarding)

I've had people ask me if I have a USB keyboard on PSU before.
I don't, though. I'm just really good with the on screen keyboard.
This kid once asked that I send him a picture of my room to prove I didn't have a USB Keyboard :rolleyes:

レッドファンタシースター
Apr 27, 2011, 06:02 PM
You must be 12 if you care about people being G.I.R.L.s :0

The general Idea is that it works both ways, but built in just makes a certain mentality among the playerbase that doesn't fit with everyone(people that DON'T want to use mics with strangers or CAN'T.)
Its more I hate the free item asking. Which so glad never happened in psp2 :D but in PSO:BB... omg (OMG allot of people in the PSO2 Forum I can't wait! XD)

landman
Apr 28, 2011, 12:26 AM
Regardless of what chat functions PSO2 implements, I think it would extremely beneficial to have an auto-translate function for specific words/phrases so that people from different regions can still communicate over the language barrier.
That was called Word Select in PSO, you could build sentences and they would be translated to the 5 languages the game supported. It was removed on Blue Burst, provably because it didn't have a global server, and provably because is was one of the triggers of a FSOD.

OdinTyler
Apr 28, 2011, 02:20 PM

You forgot to add that classic line "How you doin', baby?" (in said booming black man voice). :)

As is, I use Skype for IMs and voicechat. That's another alternative to use. I'm for voicechat (as an option, not a requirement) because if I can use it to talk without having to type and using my hands to play, that makes things easier for me. I won't always want to be on VC. For slower times like in town, typing's fine by me.

moorebounce
May 1, 2011, 10:03 PM

What I'm saying is, how cool would it be for you to be able to voice chat with your buddies while playing, but at the same time, your characters face pops up, and lip sync's what you say in a non-laggy manner.

If I remember correctly, Team Fortress Classic did this when they added voice chat, when you spoke, your character's mouth moved with your voice. Why don't more online games do this?

I loved voice chat on the Xbox version of PSO. I hate having to type out everything. Plus I hate having to read bad spelling.

LoveRappy
May 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
i dont really care as long as there is still text chat.

i never use voice chat. hate it.

as long as it can be totally shut off so i dont have to hear other people, fine by me.

t3hVeG
May 2, 2011, 12:25 AM
Since this is a PC game there really isn't any reason to have a built in voice chat system when you can just use a third party program instead. (Vent, Skype, Teamspeak, ect.)

moorebounce
May 2, 2011, 12:51 AM
Since this is a PC game there really isn't any reason to have a built in voice chat system when you can just use a third party program instead. (Vent, Skype, Teamspeak, ect.)

Built-In voice chat is good because not everybody is savvy enough to figure out how to use a third party voice chat program. I didn't like using any of those programs. If you don't like to use voice chat then don't. I'll still play with people who don't use it but I still don't have to like it especially since voice chat can help coordinate your teamwork much faster. I still can’t see how people like typing messages when talking is much easier.

Voice chat can add another element to the game where the enemies can hear you talking and give away your position like in the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I also thought it was cool in the Xbox version depending on how close you were to the other player also determined how loud their speech was. That way you didn’t hear everybody at least in the lobby.

t3hVeG
May 2, 2011, 01:01 AM
Built-In voice chat is good because not everybody is savvy enough to figure out how to use a third party voice chat program. I didn't like using any of those programs. If you don't like to use voice chat then don't. I'll still play with people who don't use it but I still don't have to like it especially since voice chat can help coordinate your teamwork much faster. I still can’t see how people like typing messages when talking is much easier.

Voice chat can add another element to the game where the enemies can hear you talking and give away your position like in the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I also thought it was cool in the Xbox version depending on how close you were to the other player also determined how loud their speech was. That way you didn’t hear everybody at least in the lobby.

I'm sorry but if someone isn't savvy enough to use a voice chat program, then I doubt they will be savvy enough to even know how to run the game. It takes little effort and knowledge to even know how to run a voice chat program. (especially Skype, if you can't figure that out within minutes of installing it, then you're obviously retarded)

Corey Blue
May 2, 2011, 01:19 AM
I think some people are just lazy to get on skype,teamspeak,etc so a built in voice chat wouldn't hurt.

t3hVeG
May 2, 2011, 01:25 AM
Oh I agree, but I highly doubt SEGA would even implement it.

moorebounce
May 2, 2011, 01:44 AM
I'm sorry but if someone isn't savvy enough to use a voice chat program, then I doubt they will be savvy enough to even know how to run the game. It takes little effort and knowledge to even know how to run a voice chat program. (especially Skype, if you can't figure that out within minutes of installing it, then you're obviously retarded)

If I'm not mistaken PSOBB had built-in voice chat didn't it? I didn't find out about PSOBB until there wasn't any official servers and/or support from Sega. PSOBB was a port of the Xbox version which had voice chat so I'm assuming PSOBB had it too. Yeah you have to be retarded not to be able to install and use Skype but why go through all that when you don't have to. It will reduce one more program running on your PC.

Dongra
May 2, 2011, 01:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken PSOBB had built-in voice chat didn't it?
It did not.

Genoa
May 2, 2011, 04:23 AM
Type to the pugs, invite real mates to your vent
Works for me.
I'm cool with no voicechat feature
OR
The destruction of all 13 year olds and below

Hentai_Kittie
May 2, 2011, 04:33 AM
I'm ok with no voicechat. It's not like this is a game that actually needs it. Plus i don't need to listen to another shrill voice besides my own.... >.>

I also like marked out text, Kitty approves!

Niloklives
May 2, 2011, 04:41 AM
I'd just like it if we could disable the censor on our end so we didn't see "I !#@$&* my head today" or "my &*! s!*#@ are red." i understand people being sensitive and all but it got the point where you couldn't talk to people, while the guys who wanted to actually be offensive found ways to bypass the censor anyway.

norrisj15
May 2, 2011, 09:33 AM
Totally agree voice chat is necessary, but if it weren't included that'd be ok too. Think it depends on the systems the game's released on. It'd be more difficult to link different platforms, but I would love to have the feature. I remember the pains of running a vent server. Ugh.

Allison_W
May 2, 2011, 07:44 PM
My voice makes me cry and I still think voice chat would be a good idea.

yoshiblue
May 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
I never liked my voice on mic either.

MESeele
May 3, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm all for an integrated voice chat system. Just make sure you have an option to ignore people :/ As has been mentioned, not all voices are bearable/ meant to be heard. Perhaps not to ignore, but an option to control the volume of independent party voices would be nice, if not preferable.

I think some people are just lazy to get on skype,teamspeak,etc so a built in voice chat wouldn't hurt.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't Skype voice chat with 2+ people not free?

t3hVeG
May 3, 2011, 11:26 AM

Incorrect. I've had up to 5+ people in the same voice chat session and didn't cost a thing. The only thing I know of that they charge for is calling to phones/mobiles, group video chat, call forwarding, ect. Skype-to-Skype calls are all free.

joshboyd1209
May 3, 2011, 11:29 AM
Voice chat is OK. Having the characters face pop up and lips move in time with what their saying? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

KodiaX987
May 3, 2011, 11:32 AM

In the latest version, I think you can have 6 or 8 people in an Internet convo at once.

The one thing I dislike about Vent/TS/Skype is that unless you have people with radically different voices or some sort of rigid EVE-like hierarchy of communication, it's hard to tell who's telling what. I have a bunch of Skype contacts whose voices all sound alike - and for many people, in the thick of the action, referring to oneself to the third person is not the first thing that comes to mind. How many times has an online game convo gone like:

"Where are you?"
"Here!"
"...!"

So if I can't see readily which one is speaking, in some situations, it might lead to, well... fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun).

BF2142 worked out nicely since when someone spoke, a sound icon with the guy's name appeared on the screen. I thought it was the best implementation. L4D2 draws a speech bubble over the guy's model and UI icon but I found it a less elegant solution as this placed the notice away from where my eyes normally look.

Canard de Bain
May 3, 2011, 02:40 PM
Make it an optional feature and we are all happy. :) Besides those idiots who beg you to turn on voice chat so you can hear them talk.

Sinue_v2
May 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
Ugh, god no. It's bad enough I had to listen to those little teen/pre-teen shit-for-brains screeching an unbroken chorus of obscenities 3/4's of the match, I really don't need to have their cut-in-chat blocking my view of the screen the whole game as well just so that their character can lip-sync their verbal seizures.

Mute isn't an efficient enough way to deal with them. They need a Mace option.

Akaimizu
May 3, 2011, 03:24 PM
^ Do you really think this makes the majority of folks who actually play Phantasy Star? Surely, the audience here isn't the same audience that plays popular #1 ranked deathmatch shooters.

Friends lists and/or mute is the best option. If it doesn't work for you, then the absense of Voice chat isn't going to help you either. You'll have to deal with their derogatory text spam. Which traditionally, of course, you usually have to go through just as much, if not more menus to ignore them.

For me, the insanity they throw out using the keyboard is often worse, for me at least. Especially with the typical chat stuff. And in those games, you don't have to even be in the room, lobby, or whatever to get their ramble. You may want to simply want to get updates posted in General, but then the crazies flood that channel. Eventually, you'll filter out anybody but who is in your tight group, anyway.

So you end up having to do at least the same hassle to limit who you even see communication from. So unless your good group of friends have horrible chat banter, I don't see the diff. Especially since Mute options have usually been so much easier to do. Less typing, and/or chat log searching.

I'd take the random kid, here and there, who says nothing but junk I can easily and quickly mute, than going into a place where hundreds or thousands of people are able to throw stuff my way. Complete with a load of absolutely immature folk I have to go through a crazy amount of work to throw into an ignore list. See Guild Wars, among a good number of examples. Sure, at least text is needed. Just that I find it to be the bigger offender than Voice Chat.

FEI LEE
May 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
In the latest version, I think you can have 6 or 8 people in an Internet convo at once.

The one thing I dislike about Vent/TS/Skype is that unless you have people with radically different voices or some sort of rigid EVE-like hierarchy of communication, it's hard to tell who's telling what. I have a bunch of Skype contacts whose voices all sound alike - and for many people, in the thick of the action, referring to oneself to the third person is not the first thing that comes to mind. How many times has an online game convo gone like:

"Where are you?"
"Here!"
"...!"

So if I can't see readily which one is speaking, in some situations, it might lead to, well... fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun).

BF2142 worked out nicely since when someone spoke, a sound icon with the guy's name appeared on the screen. I thought it was the best implementation. L4D2 draws a speech bubble over the guy's model and UI icon but I found it a less elegant solution as this placed the notice away from where my eyes normally look.
Why not just have the names lkight up or some varient of that ala PSU?

Sinue_v2
May 3, 2011, 03:31 PM

So can I.

Dr. Johnny Walker and Dr. Jagermeister. Best perscription for social anxiety disorders on the market, guaranteed.

Sinue_v2
May 3, 2011, 03:54 PM
^ Do you really think this makes the majority of folks who actually play Phantasy Star?

That's been the case for me with the 360 version. I don't usually play with cliques, never joined clans, and I rarely run with other PSOworlders. To me, I'd rather deal with the screeching brats than some of the drama and gossipy bullshit that inevitably seems to come out of hanging around the same group of people for too long. Randoms let me meet new people and socialize, but also the freedom to just play at will without side diversions.

Friends lists and/or mute is the best option.

I still like the Mace option.

If it doesn't work for you, then the absense of Voice chat isn't going to help you either.

Actually, text-only communication isn't much of a bother to me. I find it easier to block out and ignore, and typically on the PC/PS2 version, it didn't seem to be a major problem in-game mid-mission. Just in the lobbies.

You'll have to deal with their derogatory text spam. Which traditionally, of course, you usually have to go through just as much, if not more menus to ignore them.

No... because spammers don't expect you to respond to them and pay attention. With voice chat, they're engaging directly with you.... or at you... and more than once I've gotten booted for muting everyone and using a KB.

You may want to simply want to get updates posted in General, but then the crazies flood that channel. Eventually, you'll filter out anybody but who is in your tight group, anyway.

I really don't play PSU anymore, and I don't like small tight-knit groups of friends. You have responsibilities in dealing with other people and certain social behaviors are expected... which is all fine and dandy, but I don't see the point in bothering with that for a bunch of people on the internet who I'll likely never talk to again after They/I/or Sega quit the game.

Less typing, and/or chat log searching.

I don't mind typing, and I like the convenience of the chat log. Every word bubble is tagged with the name and color of the person who entered it, so there's no confusion over who called for a Resta spell or a Trade after the game. With voices only, it's harder for me to distinguish who is saying what (especially with randoms) without the visual and audio cues you normally get in face-to-face communication.

Draggoon
May 8, 2011, 10:58 AM

I agree. There were many times I died typing in PSO or was left behind by the rest of the party. Voice chat will solve this.

KodiaX987
May 8, 2011, 11:11 AM
So can I.

Dr. Johnny Walker and Dr. Jagermeister. Best perscription for social anxiety disorders on the market, guaranteed.

I personally suggest Dr. Cragganmore.

Jinto117
May 8, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hosting your own Ventrillo server is dirt cheap. I pay $4 a month for a 15 person server. Voice quality is above and beyond anything you'd get from in game chat. Ventrillo and other VOIP services are not as difficult as some may think it is.

RemiusTA
May 8, 2011, 10:33 PM
PSO has chat boxes. As long as they dont cut my messages up like PSU did, i dont need voice chat.

If i really wanna talk to someone, i'll just call them. But since i hate talking while playing games ANYWAY ill just stick to text chat.

Sord
May 12, 2011, 12:06 AM
I don't want them to bother, because it's so rare that games tend to nail in game voice-chat well. I'd much rather just stick to tried and true 3rd party programs and let gamedevs focus their dev money on the games. I'll probably wind up using it if it's there and I'm with some random person, but if I can I'd rather get that person off there and onto a vent or something.

Vashyron
May 12, 2011, 12:41 AM
Besides voices, know what would be nice with chat? TEXT WRAP. Geez PSO had this and PSU somehow left this "option" out.

Would stop failures like, Happy Birthday S
onic!

Sord
May 12, 2011, 12:57 AM
Besides voices, know what would be nice with chat? TEXT WRAP. Geez PSO had this and PSU somehow left this "option" out.

Would stop failures like, Happy Birthday S
onic!

Oh god yes, I'm not sure how they dropped the ball on that one. It's a minor issue but it's still just like "Seriously guys? Come on."

Palle
May 12, 2011, 12:59 AM
At this point, I think they view it as tradition. Absence of text wrap, that is.

Sord
May 12, 2011, 01:06 AM
Part of me wonders if it's just being lazy on the programming end. Don't really need to wrap katakana, you never split up those characters (but oh man would it look silly if someone did.) Just didn't bother adding word wrap support for English.

Biolizard13
May 12, 2011, 09:21 AM

HEY MAN ANYBODY GOT A SWORD I CAN HAVE?

Also Skype :W
imo I like hearing people's voices :D

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
imo you don't.:-x

its a preference, not an opinion.:roll:

Airalean
May 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'd rather use voice chat over text chat. Having it built in game is always nice and most games that have it built in also make it simple to disable.

But then theres people like me, who'd rather use voice chat, but can't.

That "girl" could be a 13 year old boy who has a girly voice because he hasn't hit puberty yet :p

Ugh, god no. It's bad enough I had to listen to those little teen/pre-teen shit-for-brains screeching an unbroken chorus of obscenities 3/4's of the match, I really don't need to have their cut-in-chat blocking my view of the screen the whole game as well just so that their character can lip-sync their verbal seizures.

Mute isn't an efficient enough way to deal with them. They need a Mace option.

Because people like this. :3
You know Galax, that "girl" could just, Oh I don't know, be a girl. I find that the people who usually can't tell the difference are the same people who are incredible desperate for female interaction because they lack it. who'll stalk me when they figure out that I am in fact a girl.

Zyrusticae
May 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
If they do have voice chat they better damn well have voice fonts.

Nothing quite as immersion-breaking as the above-mentioned character-voice mismatch.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 10:18 AM
YOU'RE A GIRL?! I LACK INTERACTION WITH FEMALES! HALP MEEEEE I R DESPERATE.

While it's true a lot of guys fit that description, there are actually also a lot guys out there who pretend to be girls. And lets be fair, girls who flaunt being girls are probably not girls and if they are, they're incredibly maladjusted. After all, being female in itself does not make you special or privy to special treatment, yet coming out and beating us over the head with it, there has to be a reason behind it; some kind of expectation.

That said, it's natural to assume that anyone who comes out as says they're female without being prompted to do so is looking for special VIP treatment and is probably starved for attention. If you had any pride as a female and any self esteem, you wouldn't treat your sex as a way to draw people in. Seeing as many alleged females use the socially underdeveloped male's shortcomings to get what they want. you can't blame people for being gun shy(no pun intended).

What really bothers me is females who want to set themselves apart from the pack without really understanding what that implies. Not that games are exclusive to males, but until recently the ratio of female to male gamers was so one sided, the female aspect may as well have never existed until maybe the last 6 years or so. Before that, girls were attributed to playing puzzle bobble, Nintendo party games and DDR. Now we're starting to see women in fighting games and competitive play, but the idea that being female sets them apart is counter productive and encourages the kind of sad behavior that you dislike.

If a gamer girl really wants to be different, she should just do her thing and not worry about how others view her. That said, maybe some people can't tell the difference cause they don't particularly care, or maybe they can't tell because there are effeminate males and masculine females, and they find it's better to let a person self-identify than judge. There is such a thing as androgyny, you know.

Airalean
May 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
My beef isn't that people think I'm a guy, my beef is that I get bitched at for my voice, which is, very high. I'd like to be able to play a game without getting my accused e-peen ripped off.

You guys think 10 year old boys yelling over XBOX is bad? Being screamed at by a man thats probably twice my age because I dare be born with a high pitched voice is much worse. When someone in game tells me politely that they find my voice annoying I'll usually stop talking for their sake, because they had the decency to not bitch at a stranger for something they can't help. I get that its the internet and this type of behavior is to be expected, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

But I get what you're saying and that bugs me too. I meet a good number of women on the internet, the majority of which flaunt the fact that they're girls to get special treatment. Its pretty frustrating to watch take place. Its also frustrating when people are desperate enough to go chasing such tail.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
You can understand then why some people resort to the "there are no girls on the internet" theory. It's not so much a belief as it is a philosophy. Saves them quite a few headaches.

I'm sorry but I can't help but find that voice thing funny. Just how high pitched is your voice that people would find it annoying? I mean unless it sounds like Disney rodent of some variety, how can that be a big deal?

Sord
May 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
You can understand then why some people resort to the "there are no girls on the internet" theory. It's not so much a belief as it is a philosophy. Saves them quite a few headaches.

I'm sorry but I can't help but find that voice thing funny. Just how high pitched is your voice that people would find it annoying? I mean unless it sounds like Disney rodent of some variety, how can that be a big deal?

I've heard it, trust me, it's really really high.

I also know a guy who can do a damn good mickey mouse impression, but she's not him :wacko:

Airalean
May 12, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've heard it, trust me, it's really really high.

It's a curse I'm afraid ;~;

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
pfft. I'm a six foot tall black man and I can do elmo's voice if I try hard.

Anyway I wouldn't sweat it. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think some high voices are kinda sexy. Just ignore people who try to tell you not to talk. You're not doing them any favors by being silent. Your voice is part of your identity, not something to be ashamed of.

Airalean
May 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not too ashamed of it, but I like to avoid conflict when possible.

But when people like my voice too much, that poses a problem too. I usually get more hate than love though. x3

But you know what? To hell with it! This is a game where I can make an obnoxiously cute character and run around with my high voice. Loli 4 lyfe.

But I would prefer PSO2 to have a built in voice chat. I like talking on mic better than text, as I said. However I don't like giving random people my skype information when I know nothing about them. While I do have a group of friends I know will be playing it, I'll probably play with random people too, and I'd like to talk to those random people. Make new friends and all that jazz.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 11:27 AM
lol there you go.

r00tabaga
May 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
Overall, I have had some really good conversations and some really bad ones too. That's why I prefer text over voice. It's not as bad seeing N-bombs as it is hearing it.

•Col•
May 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
I was all for voice chat being implemented until I realized that I also want PSO2 to use global servers. It'd be kinda weird to join a party where everyone else was speaking in a language you couldn't understand. At least with text there are translated expressions and stuff that you can usually use to communicate...

I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm a nervous person, but it just seems like I'd feel a little awkward joining a game and hearing people talking to eachother while I'm off alone in a corner.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 11:52 AM
just walk in and be like "yoroshiku. nihongo wa really bad desu. iingu...preffered...ne?" if they don't laugh you out of the mission, you're good.

Corey Blue
May 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
Overall, I have had some really good conversations and some really bad ones too. That's why I prefer text over voice. It's not as bad seeing N-bombs as it is hearing it.

I know right..

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2011, 05:40 PM
just walk in and be like "yoroshiku. nihongo wa really bad desu. iingu...preffered...ne?" if they don't laugh you out of the mission, you're good.

Or just speak in english and they say "OOOHHH AMERICAN! SO EXOTIC! PLAY WITH US!"

Just like certain players here would do with a japanese player...>_>;;;;;;

Or at least that's how I've seen it on both sides in other games, I dunno about phantasy star, they could be sick of us for all I know.

KodiaX987
May 13, 2011, 03:01 AM
I'm so glad I have an accent. People spend half the game wondering where the hell I come from.

Which is quite neat since they cross out America early on, so I avoid most of the stereotypical "omg u dumb amerikkan" flak.

Also, it's often easier to figure out a foreigner when he speaks than when he types. In the former, I hear an accent and an attempt to make himself understood in a language not familiar to him. In the latter, I go "Hot damn, what kind of tard types like that?!"