PDA

View Full Version : Game Sony gets sued

eclipsXe
Apr 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20057921-260.html

How do you guys think this will turn up and affect Sony

Sayara
Apr 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
PSO2 will no longer be for ps3. OH WAIT 8)

Maybe it'll wake up a stronger security system!

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hehe. Had to laugh at that PSO2 news. Still, this story isn't much news. Something like this happens every single time something like this happens. Class action suits are like weeds, they spring up whereever they can.

eclipsXe
Apr 27, 2011, 03:27 PM
they're already working on that, that's why PSN still isn't up. Do you think Sony will lose the case? :OOOOO

McLaughlin
Apr 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
If all that information truly was stored in plain text, they are royally boned, and with good reason.

Randomness
Apr 27, 2011, 06:47 PM
If all that information truly was stored in plain text, they are royally boned, and with good reason.

Yeah, they lose for sure if they stored passwords in plaintext. That's been known to be unsafe for over a decade. The other stuff kind of has to be in plaintext.

McLaughlin
Apr 27, 2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, they lose for sure if they stored passwords in plaintext. That's been known to be unsafe for over a decade. The other stuff kind of has to be in plaintext.

Their dev network should have never been connected to PSN though. There's no reason for that.

Mike
Apr 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
Their dev network should have never been connected to PSN though. There's no reason for that.
While this is 100% true, we don't know if the developer network was the point of entry for the data thief or not yet.

Randomness
Apr 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
While this is 100% true, we don't know if the developer network was the point of entry for the data thief or not yet.

I think that the whole dev network bit had to do with the theory that someone found a way to get stuff for free off PSN, not that they were robbing the server's database blind.

In the end, I figure its most likely the attacker used a PC to get in, not a PS3.

McLaughlin
Apr 28, 2011, 01:02 AM
I think that the whole dev network bit had to do with the theory that someone found a way to get stuff for free off PSN, not that they were robbing the server's database blind.

In the end, I figure its most likely the attacker used a PC to get in, not a PS3.

It was a custom firmware that let people into the dev network. The dev network never verified credit card information so the people using it could enter bogus info and buy as much content as they wanted.

That said, having the database with all your user information connected to the internet seems incredibly stupid to me (store offline and retrieve it if it needs editing), and I don't see why they couldn't just shut off the developer network to prevent people from exploiting the "free" content, so there must have been a huge hole in PSN itself.

The whole thing is one big clusterfuck.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Apr 28, 2011, 06:42 AM
Well, in this generation of compensation claims and such like i'm sure there will be thousands of lawsuits. I'm sure people will wait to see how this initial case goes and then follow suit if they succeed. Oh well Sony has a huge profit margin from consoles, electronics and such like so i'm sure, although it'll sting they won't exactly be toppled by these lawsuits. But I say everyone should take them to the cleaners, maybe they won't be so damn high and mighty in the future >:3

Tifa

Agastya
Apr 28, 2011, 09:16 AM
from what i recall, sony has the u.s. government on their tail over this fiasco

even if they dont get taken to the cleaners over lawsuits they're done for anyway

Kaziel
Apr 29, 2011, 10:47 AM
from what i recall, sony has the u.s. government on their tail over this fiasco

even if they dont get taken to the cleaners over lawsuits they're done for anyway

Don't be so sure of that, they're pretty large.

Personally I think it could topple either way. Something's going to change here.

PS - Your signature is awesome. Haha. :D

Tyreek
May 3, 2011, 06:02 PM
Bumping this with an article. 25 million more accounts got hacked after the first.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/647-sony-says-25-million-more-accounts-hacked

That makes 100 million now. Holy shit Sony, the backlash will destroy you if you don't get this crap straightened out. NOW.

Wayu
May 3, 2011, 08:42 PM
Reading that article right now. Shit got even more serious.

-Wayu

Anon_Fire
May 3, 2011, 08:47 PM
nah, those 25 million are on SOE, not PSN

McLaughlin
May 3, 2011, 09:06 PM
nah, those 25 million are on SOE, not PSN

Allegedly this information was compromised at the same time as the PSN breech (according to Sony themselves). That they waited three weeks to tell people their credit card information may have been taken is ridiculous.

Sony is in deep water.

Cloud 9
May 3, 2011, 09:13 PM
hmm, would be nice to keep the info posted on the outcome of that trial though I guess.