PDA

View Full Version : Offline Mode

SephirothXer0
Apr 28, 2011, 11:05 PM
Do you think there is a chance of Sega including a single player offline mode for the story, as they have with nearly every game in the series so far?

Personally I wouldn't mind even having two separate characters for online and offline just to prevent hacking, I just want to be able to play the game 15 years from now like I still can with PSO. There's no guarantee of private servers cropping up after the official ones go down, and I'm the kind of person who likes to play my favorite games over and over no matter how old they are or what new versions have come out.

Ark22
Apr 28, 2011, 11:07 PM
If it was for consoles, maybe

NoiseHERO
Apr 28, 2011, 11:07 PM
I can't see how they'd work through that, think they only did it before with it being a console game in mind, but we'll probably just end up like blue burst.

yoshiblue
Apr 28, 2011, 11:11 PM
If not, they should allow lan.

rezakon
Apr 28, 2011, 11:11 PM
In one hand I wouldn't mind a single-player mode just to screw around but on the other hand if they can make online feel more like a typical mmorpg then I'm all for skipping it.

Zyrusticae
Apr 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
I really can't see single-player working out for this.

I mean, they can have it... but who really played the original single-player for any length of time? Seems like a waste of resources. Resources they could, y'know, focus on making the multiplayer experience all it can be.

Itoshi
Apr 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
I can't see them including one. The Single-Player campaign was always short lived though. Maybe they'll include an Offline Mode just for goofing around with mission? I believe PSU had that.

SephirothXer0
Apr 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
I really can't see single-player working out for this.

I mean, they can have it... but who really played the original single-player for any length of time? Seems like a waste of resources. Resources they could, y'know, focus on making the multiplayer experience all it can be.

I believe the majority of people who played PSO on the GC played single player and split screen multi as opposed to the actual online. Now whether this was because of the rampant duping online or because they couldn't connect their machine online I don't know.

And I would also love to have a LAN option. I just want an alternative to be able to play the game once the official servers go down.

NoiseHERO
Apr 28, 2011, 11:15 PM
Single player was depressing in PSO even when playing the game the first time, the split screen is where it got fun.

In PSU...I only found single player fun with Ethan's story, which is ironic seeing as how I hate Ethan.

Obviously this isn't getting lan support, and consoles are already highly doubtable.

Dhylec
Apr 28, 2011, 11:16 PM
It'd be a surprise if Offline mode isn't in PSO2. But it might be like a demo for Online.
Hm.. while we're at it, why not Offline multi-mode, Offline battle & Offline challenge too? On second thought.. Nah...

Adriano
Apr 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
If there is a story mode, I sure hope it's like PSO when the main character is already dead.
I can't deal with another Ethan Waber.

yoshiblue
Apr 29, 2011, 12:27 AM
Would be funny if they make you make a character with limited choices, over powered, and then you die. Then you really make your character and play the story that revolves around your dead character lol.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 12:30 AM
Would be funny if they make you make a character with limited choices, over powered, and then you die. Then you really make your character and play the story that revolves around your dead character lol.

LOL...

Rock(character name) has to go out into the vast galaxy to find clues of Rock's death!

Skye-Fox713
Apr 29, 2011, 12:35 AM
I can't see them including one. The Single-Player campaign was always short lived though. Maybe they'll include an Offline Mode just for goofing around with mission? I believe PSU had that.

Yes PSU had an offline story mode and I hope they have an Offline mode for PSO2 so I can keep playing it when the servers are down or when the official servers go down.

Wayu
Apr 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
I have a feeling that part of the story mode will be offline...IF they do have one.

-Wayu

Recron
Apr 29, 2011, 12:56 AM
I certainly hope there's an offline mode, servers don't last forever I really do hope there is an Offline multiplayer if it is pay to play so you can still play with your less financially fortunate friends but that's just wishful thinking

yoshiblue
Apr 29, 2011, 12:58 AM
Well if we're lucky, someone would make a private server.

Zyrusticae
Apr 29, 2011, 01:03 AM
:rolleyes:Yes, so the cheapskates can stop bothering those of us who actually choose to support the developers.

yoshiblue
Apr 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Haha! Would keep everyone happy and keep the fan base alive in way. No fun trashing what you love. Like microsoft did with XP I hear.

Please support the official release.

IceGreg
Apr 29, 2011, 01:35 AM
Offline story mode is not really good, and this for any PSO games since the 1st on DC, so personally I would say to Sega not to waste their time on this and work only the online mode.

NoiseHERO
Apr 29, 2011, 01:40 AM
Never thought about the actual servers dying...would've been nice to get your character data from PSU pc/ps2 servers ported to an offline save file in some way.

and the same with PSO2...maybe even letting you level while locked out during a maintenance or server issue, who knows...

But I still highly doubt it...

yoshiblue
Apr 29, 2011, 01:42 AM
Or use your character in a series of sub/mini game while the servers are down.

Kaziel
Apr 29, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm sure there will be a watered down version of online play like PSU had.

They have to give us something to do while the servers are down. What else are we going to do? :-P

Orange_Coconut
Apr 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
I definitely dislike the idea of having an online-only game, especially that of PSO. I honestly don't care if they separate the offline from the online like they did with PSU, but I think people were onto something when they mentioned that LAN should be a possibility. I just don't like the idea of being limited by having everything server-side and being able to play only when the servers are up, though arguably it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Plus, having the characters and everything be server-side does have its benefits, so I don't know.

I don't expect that PSO2 will have some amazing story, so I don't really think they need to flesh out the single player mode to be all that different from the online mode. I just want to be able to run around offline by myself or with a select group of friends. In PSO a lot of what the online mode did was just allow for items that were unobtainable offline, which I have no problem with. That, and certain missions were available only online. The holiday and SEGA events were also limited to online play, so there was still a reason to play PSO online as opposed to offline. The benefits of offline play, of course, were telepiping for rare spawns and not having to worry about server maintenance or downtime. That being said, I don't recall the PSO servers being down too often.

r00tabaga
Apr 29, 2011, 10:56 AM
They will have off-line I'm sure. They'd have to right??? The hope here is that they allow us to use our other characters as NPC's ala PSPo2(i) in off-line....win!

Xefi
Apr 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
it'll be really cool if it's anything like PSO+ (gamecube) offline multiplayer. :cat:

IceGreg
Apr 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
I think, offline story mode is useless and Sega should focus on the online. I don't mind having a story campain, but that's really not necessary.

Wayu
Apr 29, 2011, 11:37 AM
An offline mode is necessary if SEGA wants people to play after the servers are taken down. Also, no story campaign would be a no-no. A story is needed, unless you want a nothing-more-or-less-than-killkillkillkill game.

-Wayu

r00tabaga
Apr 29, 2011, 11:41 AM
Offline is needed just for the sole purpose of "reaching all non-PC" gamers. Everyone loves Phantasy Star but not everyone has online capabilities. Besides, I plan on getting a gaming laptop and chances are I will want to play this off-line in areas where there are no Wi-Fi (my work for example).

IceGreg
Apr 29, 2011, 11:41 AM
PSU story campain was boring, always doing the same things....But you're probably right, if the servers are down those who want, should be able to play the game offline

Hatrix
Apr 29, 2011, 02:48 PM
I know it's PS Online, but it would be nice if they had some sort of offline option.
Maybe like PSU on ps2 where you can have your extra mode characters. I know this was fail on PSO from people hacking then taking all the stuff online, effectively ruining any sort of economy, or an item actually being rare. But for those of us who can't get online much or have crappy internet even a bare bones offline version is better than having nothing.

Kaziel
Apr 29, 2011, 03:01 PM
Offline Mode (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187375).

Kaziel
Apr 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
PSU story campain was boring, always doing the same things....But you're probably right, if the servers are down those who want, should be able to play the game offline

Yeah the PSU storyline was shxt. I got more story out of PSO and it didn't have an sorry excuse for a "campaign".

Also the offline and online modes, I can bet will be present, but I highly doubt they will tie together whatsoever.

therealAERO
Apr 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
The reason PSO's storyline worked so well is because it didn't really connect to the main hub of the game. The way you did the story is you would go through all the quests until the end and each story was a contained section in a mission. And on top of that it wasn't a story about your character it was a story about other characters and 2 main characters which you have never met. It's not even the beginning of the story either, pioneer 1 already landed and it lived out it's day than pioneer 2 lands and it's steeped with rumors about what happened to pioneer 1. The game is rich with mystery.

I hope PSO2 goes in the same direction. And yes it should be able to be played Offline. If they have to separate online and offline again than they should.

Angelic Fae
Apr 29, 2011, 03:35 PM
The offline mode in PSU was more of a tutorial than a story mode showing off all the things each race can do b4 letting u create ur own character, its really so u don't eff up ur first character but really who really still uses their first character after about 2000 hrs of gameplay (I do =P). all in all having offline mode would be nice it'd let us all get to grips with the new game mechanics but I'd rather not be bored while im doing it...an mmo with a good story, thats a tall order I know.

Tyreek
Apr 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'd say at least allow offline mode for players to get an actual taste of the gameplay and story so they know what they're getting into online. Ironically, AotI for 360 never got patched with an offline mode for Episode 2. It only updated the mechanics and drops from Episode 1 into AotI format. Other than that, PSO:BB was the only other game in the series that never got an offline mode. You had to pay to play period. I actually am hoping an offline mode is possible.

Hatrix
Apr 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
My bad did'nt see the topic right below (-_-;) close this one plz thx

Hatrix
Apr 30, 2011, 01:45 PM
I guess it would'nt be too much of a let down, but it just kind of sucked when all the sudden they droped the servers in the US for PSU PC/PS2. If anything just make the servers worldwide so everyone would be in the same boat and no one gets jipped

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 30, 2011, 02:03 PM
Offline is needed just for the sole purpose of "reaching all non-PC" gamers. Everyone loves Phantasy Star but not everyone has online capabilities. Besides, I plan on getting a gaming laptop and chances are I will want to play this off-line in areas where there are no Wi-Fi (my work for example).It would be kind of dumb for them to buy a game called Phantasy Star Online 2, then.

Also, you should probably be doing work while at work.

Wayu
Apr 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
The original PSO had an offline segment as well, though. I don't see why they'd take that out. Having both covers all sides.

-Wayu

Kion
Apr 30, 2011, 04:34 PM
I hope to god there is no Story Mode. If sega has proven anything it's that they can't make a decent single player story. Planning for PSP2: "Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we have a whiny brat NPC bitch for what seems like an eternity before making players run through a bunch of trap filled rooms all the while being pestered with annoying NPC comments just to be rewarded with another long boring cut scene full of whiny bitching?".

I personally hope that they take a more indirect route with the story, where you uncover bits of information based on the quests you take, free missions and from the world design itself that adds up into a larger whole you have to figure out. It's a lot more fun than listening to the NPC's flat out spoon feed you through the story. Some kind of offline mode would be okay, maybe a tutorial, free mode, or challenge mode, but I really hated the way PSU's story mode made you have to deal with freaking Laia and the Vol Brothers even in online mode.

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2011, 11:02 PM
I want an offline game along with the online for times when I don't feel like it or have the money to get the Guild License or whatever it's called now.

I'm good as long as they scrap the Ethan Weber offline crap from PSU. Make the offline just like PSU: AOTI.

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2011, 11:07 PM
I hope to god there is no Story Mode. If sega has proven anything it's that they can't make a decent single player story. Planning for PSP2: "Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we have a whiny brat NPC bitch for what seems like an eternity before making players run through a bunch of trap filled rooms all the while being pestered with annoying NPC comments just to be rewarded with another long boring cut scene full of whiny bitching?".

I personally hope that they take a more indirect route with the story, where you uncover bits of information based on the quests you take, free missions and from the world design itself that adds up into a larger whole you have to figure out. It's a lot more fun than listening to the NPC's flat out spoon feed you through the story. Some kind of offline mode would be okay, maybe a tutorial, free mode, or challenge mode, but I really hated the way PSU's story mode made you have to deal with freaking Laia and the Vol Brothers even in online mode.

Thats how PSO was until they changed it with PSU and PSZ. Hopefully they learned their lesson with PSU and going back to it's roots.

RenzokukenZ
Apr 30, 2011, 11:14 PM
Planning for PSP2: "Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we have a whiny brat NPC bitch for what seems like an eternity before making players run through a bunch of trap filled rooms all the while being pestered with annoying NPC comments just to be rewarded with another long boring cut scene full of whiny bitching?"

Hey, it worked for Red Ring Rico, so why not?

An offline mode would be great, but seeing as PSU and PSO:BB didn't have said mode and still succeeded (and before anyone lights a fire, succeed in Japan) then it may take that into account and not have one. Still, would be nice for those no internet moments.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 12:06 AM
I don't see offline happening unless it's for a story mode, or maybe waaay down the road they allow us to download our chars to our PC or something.

I;m perfectly happy without one though as the only time I enjoyed offline mode in PSO was when playing split screen with my friends, and most of my friends now live in other cities.

Jinketsu
May 1, 2011, 08:41 PM
I don't really see much of a point in an offline mode. PSO had an offline mode that you could work on your character without requiring an online connection. That made sense, because at the time online console gaming was fresh and new, and not many people had the option to do something like that.

BB didn't allow that, but I understand why. Online gaming was pretty big at that point, and people would've freaken cheated and hacked their characters to make them more powerful and stuff. Not that it didn't happen anyway.

PSU's offline mode never appealed to me. I went through the Story, but I'm talking about "Free Mode" where you got to create a character to do missions. Ambition of the Illuminus content - at least regarding the story - was only available to people with valid Guardian's Licenses and was online only. You couldn't even play via LAN or split-screen, so Free Mode was really just a backboneless single player character creation tool where you got to do the same missions you could do with Ethan Waber in story mode but with less content otherwise.

PSZ took us back to the optional online stuff PSO had, which was nice. I thought its story was pretty good, too, at least in presentation.

I didn't play much of PSP, nor will I play any PSP2 until the "i" edition comes to the states. If it happens. haha.

But yeah. There's not much point to Offline mode anymore. If for nothing else, to keep the damn cheaters at the bay as often as possible.