PDA

View Full Version : Should Casts use the FOrce?

Pages : [1] 2

Deimos
May 1, 2011, 12:18 AM
Hello PSO-world, I'm not new here, I have lurked PSO-W for the last decade. Not until the recent footage of PSO2 have I took any interest in registering to the forum. Being said, I'm interested in sharing everyone's discussion, and anticipation for PSO2.

With [the recent PSO2 trailer speculation of] the addition of RAnewm and RAnewearl to PSO2; and the comparative additions of HUnewm and Humarl to PSØ; FOmar, RAmarl and HUcaseal to PSOI&II.

The current character roster includes:

HUMANS:
HUmar, Humarl
RAmar, RAmarl
FOmar, FOmarl

NEWMANS:
HUnewmn, HUnewearl
RAnewmn, RAnewearl
FOnewmn, FOnewearl

CASTS:
HUcast, HUcaseal
RAcast, RAcaseal

Now here is my question to you PSO adepts: should CASTS use the FOrce? Is it possible for CASTS to use TP/PP? How is it possible, and is it logical?

Nitro Vordex
May 1, 2011, 12:20 AM
Casts shouldn't have used Techniques to begin with. Now, if they had a separate feature, I'd be okay with that, beyond traps.

Dongra
May 1, 2011, 12:34 AM
I vote for another Protranser type class for casts only. PROcast and PROcaseal being the only classes that use traps. Meh, maybe not the best idea.

Broken_L_button
May 1, 2011, 12:36 AM
Well, the only reason they could use techniques in PSU was because that any being with spiritual energy (which manifests itself as emotions and such) could manipulate photons with the proper training. Casts do manifest spiritual energy, albeit not has much as the other races, hence how they could use the techs at a poor level. Thus it made perfect sense in PSU's story. Depending on how they explain it in PSO2, it could or could not make sense.

From a game mechanic standpoint, if you can freely switch from any class, it'd be somewhat unfair to make that one race unable to use all classes...Unless they had some very useful ability no one else could attain in any way to compensate for it, beyond traps or an unique blast ability.

Just my two cents on the matter.

•Col•
May 1, 2011, 12:37 AM
I vote for another Protranser type class for casts only. PROcast and PROcaseal being the only classes that use traps. Meh, maybe not the best idea.

If they were going to add a 4th class, I'd definitely want it to be Vanguard.

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 12:56 AM
Vanguard practically was Protranser mixed with Acromaster.

And we can look at this from the two different options this game can take in terms of classes.

1) Classes are fixed, and therefore, by PSO logic, Casts wouldn't be able to use techs. However, they could still be FOcasts, but instead of traditional techs, they use other abilities, such as Programs that someone else mentioned.

2) Classes are changeable, and therefore, Casts can select Force and use techs, unless they just simply can't and are compensated with something else, as mentioned above.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'd agree that if they allow us to switch classes, then it's only fair that CASTs be allowed to play Force, otherwise I'd say no.

The only way I could see them adding a FOcast/caseal to PSO2, is maybe as a support class, unless they had an explination of how they could utilize offensive techs well.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 01:01 AM

I had a similar idea. something that was forced into mid and close range combat but couldn't serve as a meat shield. they could be more trap oriented, but their traps wouldn't all be like the traps from PSU or PSP. Maybe they could have turrets that drew aggro, or be the only class that can use an advanced RCSM that was more mobile than the stuff we got in AoI.

I really think the game should go back to casts being non-techers

NoiseHERO
May 1, 2011, 01:04 AM
I hope theres another protranser type, seeing as how that what I plan to make my cast.

Dongra
May 1, 2011, 01:04 AM
I agree. I loved the FOcast joke back when it originated in PSO. When I finally saw them in action in PSU it wasn't funny anymore. Ok, maybe it was.

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 01:06 AM
I honestly don't understand the big deal with Casts and techs.

If Sega finally allowed Newmans to use guns bigger than their hands, then wouldn't it be fair for Casts to use techs?

blace
May 1, 2011, 01:11 AM
I'm not expecting to make any real kind of point here, but aren't Casts in a way a living organism? Considering how they age in PSU, and the fact that they also have a free will and do whatever they please, shouldn't those reasons warrant them as possible man made living organisms?

•Col•
May 1, 2011, 01:19 AM
I'm not expecting to make any real kind of point here, but aren't Casts in a way a living organism? Considering how they age in PSU, and the fact that they also have a free will and do whatever they please, shouldn't those reasons warrant them as possible man made living organisms?

I'm not sure if they were in PSO, but they definitely were at least partially organic in PSU....

Kireek sure acted like a crazy living being, though, lol.

UBWAAAH

blace
May 1, 2011, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure if they were in PSO, but they definitely were at least partially organic in PSU....

Kireek sure acted like a crazy living being, though, lol.

UBWAAAH
I blame his scythe and this flash (http://www.pso-world.com/downloads/fantheater/WingdingDragoonFlash.html) for his internal errors.

The only cast I can really think of in PSO was Elenor with her ability to communicate with Mags. I guess that's pretty much it. Probably explains why casts weren't used for anything else that wasn't combat based either. But then again that yellow cast in that download mission was asking for help and felt pain from the intense flames engulfing him. I could be wrong on him feeling the pain, but I would love to walk around engulfed in massive flames instead of some puny purple electric shocks.

FEI LEE
May 1, 2011, 01:28 AM
A bit off topic but come to think of it I would love to see Kireek again so I can beat him up and take his stuff again :p

Seth Astra
May 1, 2011, 01:45 AM
this flash (http://www.pso-world.com/downloads/fantheater/WingdingDragoonFlash.html)
Wow... That was hillarious and mentally scarring at the same time... Just another typical moment for Dragoon.

blace
May 1, 2011, 01:47 AM
Wow... That was hillarious and mentally scarring at the same time... Just another typical moment for Dragoon.
Really? That was a typical day during my time with PSO, minus the flashy colors, music, and the random flying car heh.

Allison_W
May 1, 2011, 02:45 AM
Storywise, it could go either way. It depends upon what faculty is required to cast techniques and whether androids have that faculty. In PSU, techniques required spiritual energy, and CASTs had "souls," which was why they could use techniques. I do not know if the PSOverse has specified what powers techniques--we do know that PSOverse androids are perfectly capable of feelings and free will, but we also don't know for sure if it implies an ethereal soul (then again, I suppose it's not known for sure whether biological lifeforms have them in the PSOverse, either).

That said, if this is set in the same universe as PSO--it's not on Ragol, but those few cryptic lines made ORACLE sound a lot like the Pioneer Project--we can probably predict that androids won't be able to use techs. My best guess is that in the PSOverse, techniques require biological energy of some kind--possibly something that a fleshy nervous system can generate but a mechanical one can't, though if android technology has advanced since PSO, who knows.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 02:51 AM
Who knows?

Just thought I'd simplify it for you =)

landman
May 1, 2011, 02:57 AM
Both in PSO and PSU CAST could use Techincs, using weapons... the hability to cast a Techknic without the use of a weapon was only possible in PSU with the use of a Photon Seal, which seems to be forbidden in Gurhal.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 03:09 AM
Both in PSO and PSU CAST could use Techincs, using weapons... the hability to cast a Techknic without the use of a weapon was only possible in PSU with the use of a Photon Seal, which seems to be forbidden in Gurhal.

where did you read that casts could use techs in PSO? I know there were weapons that could cast techs, but those were weapon properties made clear by the fact that they didn't cast techs based on the levels the user possessed but by what was bound to the weapon and it could be argued that it was just a result of recycled graphics and that the weapons weren't using techs at all.

In early PS games, casts(androids) can't use techs.

Tetsaru
May 1, 2011, 03:12 AM
Well... part of me wants all of the races in PSO2 to be able to use techs, but the other part of me knows that if that happened, Casts would most likely be the worst at it, and would probably just be better off not being able to use them at all in exchange for other things (use of traps, immunity to poison/paralysis, HP regen when idle, etc.).

Also, I thought it was rather messed up that, in PSU, Casts were among the best Acrotechers simply because buffs and debuffs didn't rely on any magic stats for them to be effective, and then they could just zerg through everything with their beefed up ATP and SUV weapons, because apparently tech damage paled in comparison even if you WERE statistically good with them...

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 04:12 AM
Well... part of me wants all of the races in PSO2 to be able to use techs, but the other part of me knows that if that happened, Casts would most likely be the worst at it, and would probably just be better off not being able to use them at all in exchange for other things (use of traps, immunity to poison/paralysis, HP regen when idle, etc.).

Also, I thought it was rather messed up that, in PSU, Casts were among the best Acrotechers simply because buffs and debuffs didn't rely on any magic stats for them to be effective, and then they could just zerg through everything with their beefed up ATP and SUV weapons, because apparently tech damage paled in comparison even if you WERE statistically good with them...

We'd likely see a cast that played like a human hunter with a horrible weapon selection and really good buffs.

Hrith
May 1, 2011, 06:32 AM
Casts have always used Forces, I do not see what you are babbling about.

'Come here, FOnl, heal me!'
'Buff me, FOmar!'
'The monsters have Shifta, Jellen then (Iron), Jellen them!'

Casts, using Forces since 2000 :wacko:

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 06:44 AM
Use the force, not ABUSE the force.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 06:53 AM
Casts have always used Forces, I do not see what you are babbling about.

'Come here, FOnl, heal me!'
'Buff me, FOmar!'
'The monsters have Shifta, Jellen then (Iron), Jellen them!'

Casts, using Forces since 2000 :wacko:

To be fair to CASTs, us forces use them just as equally.

CAST: Hey force, buff me! *force buffs
Force:Great you're buffed, now go stand in in front of me and take hits!

Shadownami92
May 1, 2011, 08:06 AM
To be fair to CASTs, us forces use them just as equally.

CAST: Hey force, buff me! *force buffs
Force:Great you're buffed, now go stand in in front of me and take hits!

That's how it always worked for me on the gamecube. I'd ryuker, buff, debuff, tag, then freeze or stun while the casts (or hunters in general) would clean up.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 08:11 AM
That's how it always worked for me on the gamecube. I'd ryuker, buff, debuff, tag, then freeze or stun while the casts (or hunters in general) would clean up.

Haha same here. Though, typically I was the first one into the room, I'd run in, debuff, then find the biggest shield I could and take shots from behind them :p

Shadownami92
May 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
Haha same here. Though, typically I was the first one into the room, I'd run in, debuff, then find the biggest shield I could and take shots from behind them :p

Oh yeah then of course trying not to die and being the guy you resurrect your teammates whenever there is the small chance of them dieing.

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 08:19 AM
Oh yeah then of course trying not to die and being the guy you resurrect your teammates whenever there is the small chance of them dieing.

I was pretty good about keeping my teammates alive. Though I do miss the days when if the Force died, there was a mad scramble to resurrect them, as they're the ones keeping everyone else in the party alive lol.

So in hindsight, yeah. I'd love to see an actual FOcast role in this game. (Provided they have a similar class system to PSO). I imagine they'd play a lot like I played FOmar, mostly support with some range and a lot of melee thrown in. Would be pretty cool, plus it never hurts to have another healer. Am I right? ^.-

r00tabaga
May 1, 2011, 08:30 AM
I would be very surprised (disappointed) if casts dont return to their PSO ways. Traps should be cast exclusive IMO. Health regen, poison immunity & just plain being bad-ass is why casts are so popular. Casts Ftw!

Justyn_Darkcrest
May 1, 2011, 08:36 AM
I would be very surprised (disappointed) if casts dont return to their PSO ways. Traps should be cast exclusive IMO. Health regen, poison immunity & just plain being bad-ass is why casts are so popular. Casts Ftw!

I'd be perfectly fine with this too. I really don't feel strongly either way, since I'll be playing either Human or Newman Force. I'm glad to see that some ppl (probably most) feel this way though, I'll have plenty of shields XD

Aumi
May 1, 2011, 08:39 AM

I'm pretty sure most CASTs are autonomous AIs, although I doubt that those in PSO were organic at all. At least I'm rather sure that they had as much free will as the other races. Of course, some CASTs, such as the RAcasts used as guards, were likely programmed for certain tasks while others, like Elenor, were completely autonomous.

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 09:36 AM
I keep seeing people posting things like, "I hope they're Protranser..." and it kind of upsets me because:

1. This IS NOT PSU

2. All the races have their own set class to begin with.

Its not like PSU where you are a CAST hunter. In PSO, you're HUcast, HUmar, etc. If there is such a feature like HUcast-Force, that would most likely cause some imbalnaces in the game. Hopefully they don't add a feature like that in this PSO2. Although I did like the skill feature in PS:P2. If they could add the learning of skills with the progression of leveling, that'd be cool.

But anyway, to answer the question of whether CASTs should have Technics. I'd say no. It just doesn't seem right. a robot using magic? They already have traps (which make more sense) The highest attack, decent accuracy, decent defense, HP regen, and immunity to poison. :-/

I'm pretty sure most CASTs are autonomous AIs, although I doubt that those in PSO were organic at all. At least I'm rather sure that they had as much free will as the other races. Of course, some CASTs, such as the RAcasts used as guards, were likely programmed for certain tasks while others, like Elenor, were completely autonomous.
I think they are completely robotic. Why do you think they don't give to the option to create human-like faces for the CASTs in PSO? Sure some of the RAcaseal variations had that option but they still had a somewhat robotic look to them. Same thing with the HUcaseal.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 09:41 AM
what are you talking about? How ignorant can you be? this isn't PSO either, and unless you have some secret information no one else has, we're not sure how classes work yet. calm down.

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
what ar eyou talking about? this isn't PSO either and unless you have some secret information no one else has, we're not sure how classes work yet. calm down.
It is called Phantasy Online (2), Am I correct?

r00tabaga
May 1, 2011, 09:46 AM
I agree. It separates the races a little more. Everything started to blur together in PSU. Although I don't mind humans & newmans being able to RA, HU & FO...it just seems like casts shouldn't have techs. Or SUVs. :)

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 09:53 AM
I agree. It separates the races a little more. Everything started to blur together in PSU. Although I don't mind humans & newmans being able to RA, HU & FO...it just seems like casts shouldn't have techs. Or SUVs. :)
I completely agree with you on the SUV thing. As if high level PAs weren't strong enough. As for the race situation...I mean I kind of did like the fact that you could be any race and class but like you said, there wasn't as much "uniqueness" to characters. For example, 90% I'd go online and join a team of all hunters who had canes for healing magic :-/ I'd hardly ever see a pure ranger or force.

So I'm looking foward to a set class for each race. I'm kind of hoping they add the HUnewm and HUnewearl from PSZero as well. It's might be hoping for too much but I know I'm not the only one who liked them. lol.

Unknown Divine
May 1, 2011, 09:55 AM
leave spells to the newmans

Zarode
May 1, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'd rather have Casts return to their original roles. It added an interesting gameplay diversity to the game.

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'd rather have Casts return to their original roles. It added an interesting gameplay diversity to the game.
This is true...I liked being a CAST sometimes in a group and walking through the mines being the only one who could see the barrage of traps awaiting us in the next room. It made me feel so important. lol.

r00tabaga
May 1, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'd be fine with this---> Humans as HU & RA only, Casts as HU & RA only and Newmans as FO, HU & RA. U never really see any full blown human forces. Only human rangers/hunters that use limited techs & buffs (which is fine too!).

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 10:07 AM

tell me this then? was jumping in PSO? were newman rangers in PSO? how about a third person shooter mode? this is clearly NOT the same game. we have no idea what OTHER changes they made. you're making assumptions based on a name symbolizing a franchise, not a rule set.

Untll sega comes out and says how classes will work, for all we know this game will be more like PSP2i than anything, or it may do something completely different and it is both presumptuous and asinine to tell people they're wrong when you know no more about a matter than they do.

Mike
May 1, 2011, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with tech-less androids and gunless newmen.

r00tabaga
May 1, 2011, 10:09 AM
@NIloklives: C'mon it's a sequel, it's gonna have improvements.

Anon_Fire
May 1, 2011, 10:13 AM

This is a different game now.

This isn't Gurhal or Ragol anymore, it's a brand new setting. And I sure do not want to see CAST Forces in this game, they would be completely useless

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 10:15 AM
C'mon it's a sequel, it's gonna have improvements.

of course, but it will also have changes. we don't know what those are. they could completely rework the class system. which some might call an improvement. the point is saying something wont be there cause it doesn't share a name would go the other way too right? psu isn't pso, but it had hunters rangers and forces. it had weapons with 3 hit combos. it had humans newmans and casts.

we just dont know what else will be different yet and its really stupid to get annoyed with people and insist something WILL not be there simply cause it wasn't like that before.

r00tabaga
May 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
I just want casts the way they were in PSO but we will have to see in which direction they chose. Either way I'm excited for more videos.

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 10:26 AM
@NIloklives: C'mon it's a sequel, it's gonna have improvements.
Right. I'm not saying its the same game. With the name Phantasy Star Online TWO, I'm taking a guess and saying that this will be a direct sequel to that game.
So I'm expecting HUcast, HUmar, FOnewm, etc. Not the generic Newman Hunter/Protranser/Acromaster as all of those were PSU classes. And sure we don't know how the class system will work out so there isn't any point arguing. All we can is speculate for now but I don't see why SEGA would bring something like that from a different game. I expect SEGA to capitalize off the gameplay and traits of the first game and make it better. Just as they did with PSU/PSP/PSP2. As those games progressed they certainly got better. Even if they borrowed a few things from PSO, they didn't take enough from it to completely change the game itself.

I know there will be differences. But the point I'm trying to prove is that PSU and PSO are two completely different games set in two completely different universes. They have simularities but things were different. And Anon, I know that its not set on Ragol anymore. But my guess is that having the name PSO will connect it with the events of the original PSO without the use of opeing rifts or VR simulations like in PSU. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
even if the events are connected, as you recall the group our characters belonged to was called hunters, this one appears to be called arks...or arkz...you get the idea. we're in a different organization now, they won't have the same naming system for classes necessarily, so its really premature to start inferring that kind of thing.

The stories will likely be connected in some way, but its best to assume we know nothing and be pleasantly surprised than to commit firmly to facts we make up to fit the images we have and be pissed when they're shattered. As far as game play goes it's clearly closer to the PSU series than it is to PSO. That should be a big tip that any unknown can literally be anything.

We may see new classes and new races. They said customization will be a focal point of the game, so we really dont know what kinds of curves they'll throw us.

Norco
May 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
The only way I see cast being able to Cast techniques in a PSO setting is that the Cast have a magcell inside them. Remember Elenor and Ult in PSO? Both of them had a magcell inside of them.

Because of this Elenor could speak to mags and Ult seemed atleast in my and my brothers perspective to have some sort of special power. This due to(we think) that Ult was older then Elenor and therefor Ults mag was also older. So it grew, got too little space, as it grew it got more power, went abit insane and sort of took over Ult.

So here it my suggestion. There should be FOcast and FOcaseal, the reason they're able to cast techniques is because of a magcell inside them and to prevent the magcells for taking over and such it can only grow a certain ammount meaning the cast will learn less techniques then a normal force.

What to you guys think of this idea?

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
That's way too convoluted to even try to pass off as legitimate. all they have to say is "casys can use techs now" and its good. I just dont want them to say that so we can have opportunities for diversity and get casts back to their roots.

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 10:56 AM
even if the events are connected, as you recall the group our characters belonged to was called hunters, this one appears to be called arks...or arkz...you get the idea.
Wasn't that an organization from PSO episode 3?

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 11:01 AM
The spelling was different. We cant be sure if its the same group or not. Would be interesting if it were though.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 1, 2011, 11:10 AM
Limiting combat options due to your race is even more stupid than limiting your stats due to your race.

Everyone should be able to do everything.

Chimeria
May 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
Limiting combat options due to your race is even more stupid than limiting your stats due to your race.

Seriously? So you're saying even if your Tech rating is extremely low, you'd still waste your time trying to kill things with technics when you could simply just attack something with a weapon or use traps? I don't see the point of that.

And although using resta was helpful as a CAST on PSU, I hardly had to. I had enough mates. To add to that, on PSP2, high level resta spells drained my PP like crazy due to a low PP pool. Plus if they do it like PSO, they'll have HP regen as well.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 1, 2011, 11:18 AM
No, I think I should be able to make a cast that can be a very strong offense techer, or a newman that can be a top tier melee fighter.

I don't think stats should be based on your race. Your class options definitely should not be based on your race.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 11:26 AM
ffuzzy is one of those people who feels full customization is the key to a diversified population free of min-maxing.

I just dont argue with him cause I know butting heads over it will get us nowhere and its been rehashed so many times, I think everyone is sick of the argument. What will be will be.

Blueblur
May 1, 2011, 11:28 AM

This.

LOL

Why bother having different races then? Why bother having different classes then? Jesus Christ...

Split
May 1, 2011, 11:36 AM
Here's my idea for FOcasts/caseals, and forgive me if someone's already proposed something similar or if it doesn't seem at all like it would ever make it into the game. It's sort of daydream.

I think all casts should have TP just like any other race. However, I don't think said TP should be used for techs, the way they are with mar/marl, newm/newearl, or beasts (although I don't think beasts are a necessary addition). Instead of Foie, Zonde, etc., Casts should be armed with upgradable SUV-weapons, similar to the ones in PSU, but smaller. Instead of doing the massive damage of PSU's SUVs, casts will have one SUV weapon that corresponds to each spell and will have roughly comparable effects, but at the same time will carry a few unique properties; for example, Foie could be a one-handed gatling gun similar in appearance to the one KOS-MOS can summon in Xenosaga, and it shoots fire-imbued bullets. Pressing the button that corresponds to this gatling Foie in your layout will have your character quickly sheathe whichever weapon they have equipped, summon the gun out of thin air, and begin firing, and mashing the button will sustain fire, while simultaneously allowing you to slowly strafe around, move towards, and backpedal away from your target. Each shot will consume a much smaller amount of TP than a normal Foie spell, but also do a lot less damage to make up for it.

Barta could be a shoulder mounted missile launcher that fires missiles enchanted with the spell. Once again, you'll be able to fire these in quicker succession than you could the original Barta spell while playing as another race, but it won't be as fast as the above mentioned gatling gun. I'm sure they could find a means of creating a SUV weapon like this for every spell (probably better ideas than I can come up with here), ones that retain the feel of the spell but have enough unique properties to significantly differentiate them from normal techniques.

Also, these will be upgradable in the same way that techniques are in PSO, via finding pickups for levels 1-30 in shops and out in the wilderness. Unlike techniques however, each level of a given SUV weapon will add cool new cosmetic upgrades to that weapon, in addition to improving rate of fire/damage/accuracy (which is another difference; ATA will be a factor since these are tangible weapons firing physical objects enchanted with these spells rather than the spells themselves).

Every Cast will have some degree access to these abilities, but the "Force" class of casts will be the only ones able to access every level all the way up to 30 as well as the Grants/Megid SUV weapons (along with any other spells they decide to make exclusive to forces). I think it would be pretty cool, although in some ways it has the potential to seem like a cop-out. I don't know, just an idea...

MidiPour
May 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
So here it my suggestion. There should be FOcast and FOcaseal, the reason they're able to cast techniques is because of a magcell inside them and to prevent the magcells for taking over and such it can only grow a certain ammount meaning the cast will learn less techniques then a normal force.

What to you guys think of this idea?

This is being theoretical, but would the FOcast/caseal be a least likely candidate to support the party during later difficulties? I could see FOcasts being more offensive using MST swords, due to their likelihood of having the highest DEF/HP in the class. However, I also see Casts being outclassed by HU/FO newmans.

This.

LOL

Why bother having different races then? Why bother having different classes then? Jesus Christ...

It could be possible that there are initial classes, with customs that are based off of their attributes. The customs could be replaced, and it could be up to the player to boost stats. Demon's Souls did this, no?

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
Here's my idea for FOcasts/caseals, and forgive me if someone's already proposed something similar or if it doesn't seem at all like it would ever make it into the game. It's sort of daydream.

I think all casts should have TP just like any other race. However, I don't think said TP should be used for techs, the way they are with mar/marl, newm/newearl, or beasts (although I don't think beasts are a necessary addition). Instead of Foie, Zonde, etc., Casts should be armed with upgradable SUV-weapons, similar to the ones in PSU, but smaller. Instead of doing the massive damage of PSU's SUVs, casts will have one SUV weapon that corresponds to each spell and will have roughly comparable effects, but at the same time will carry a few unique properties; for example, Foie could be a one-handed gatling gun similar in appearance to the one KOS-MOS can summon in Xenosaga, and it shoots fire-imbued bullets. Pressing the button that corresponds to this gatling Foie in your layout will have your character quickly sheathe whichever weapon they have equipped, summon the gun out of thin air, and begin firing, and mashing the button will sustain fire, while simultaneously allowing you to slowly strafe around, move towards, and backpedal away from your target. Each shot will consume a much smaller amount of TP than a normal Foie spell, but also do a lot less damage to make up for it.

Barta could be a shoulder mounted missile launcher that fires missiles enchanted with the spell. Once again, you'll be able to fire these in quicker succession than you could the original Barta spell while playing as another race, but it won't be as fast as the above mentioned gatling gun. I'm sure they could find a means of creating a SUV weapon like this for every spell (probably better ideas than I can come up with here), ones that retain the feel of the spell but have enough unique properties to significantly differentiate them from normal techniques.

Also, these will be upgradable in the same way that techniques are in PSO, via finding pickups for levels 1-30 in shops and out in the wilderness. Unlike techniques however, each level of a given SUV weapon will add cool new cosmetic upgrades to that weapon, in addition to improving rate of fire/damage/accuracy (which is another difference; ATA will be a factor since these are tangible weapons firing physical objects enchanted with these spells rather than the spells themselves).

Every Cast will have some degree access to these abilities, but the "Force" class of casts will be the only ones able to access every level all the way up to 30 as well as the Grants/Megid SUV weapons (along with any other spells they decide to make exclusive to forces). I think it would be pretty cool, although in some ways it has the potential to seem like a cop-out. I don't know, just an idea...

You sir have just created the coolest FOcast/caseal ever. I fucking love it!

And again, if classes are going with PSO's style, then it wouldn't seem right if Casts can't be Forces and yet Newmans can be Rangers. Casts would literally be short one class.

However, if they go with the 'any race can be any class' approach, then that would answer that. :D

Might as well turn this into a poll. It will probably end up having the same interesting results as the 'Should Beasts be in PSO2' thread.

Blueblur
May 1, 2011, 11:57 AM
It could be possible that there are initial classes, with customs that are based off of their attributes. The customs could be replaced, and it could be up to the player to boost stats. Demon's Souls did this, no?
I'm all for their being some kind of system in place. I just think it's ludicrous for Ffuzzy to want a game wherein every class is capable of everything and even stats are similar. Such a game would be completely uninteresting and completely homogenized.

r00tabaga
May 1, 2011, 12:13 PM
Make everyone the same is lame!!! There, I said it.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 1, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'm all for their being some kind of system in place. I just think it's ludicrous for Ffuzzy to want a game wherein every class is capable of everything and even stats are similar. Such a game would be completely uninteresting and completely homogenized.I don't see why people seem to misunderstand my ideas so greatly.

Why have different races? Because they look different.
Why have different classes? Because they would have different stats and abilities. I never said classes should all be the same, I just said any race should be able to be any class.

You do not seem to understand what I mean when I say I want everyone to be capable of everything. I want everyone to be capable of everything, but not at the same time. That would be stupid and absurdly unbalanced.

Start everyone at the same place at level 1. Same stats regardless of race and sex.

Then you pick your class, which determines your stats and abilities (weapons, skills, techs, etc.).

Then you can invest points (like MP of PSU) into a customization system (like GAS of PSU), where you are able to further modify your stats, add additional weapons and abilities to your class, add special abilities (like SUV/nanoblast of PSU, except not determined by your race), change attack animations, equip better armors, etc. Basically, let you play exactly the way you want to play.

You seem to think this would make everyone the same, but that's the exact opposite of what it would do. If you balance things properly, you will have people who favor different types of gameplay going for vastly different character builds. You'd end up with more variety, not less.

MidiPour
May 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
Make everyone the same is lame!!! There, I said it.

I'm all for their being some kind of system in place. I just think it's ludicrous for Ffuzzy to want a game wherein every class is capable of everything and even stats are similar. Such a game would be completely uninteresting and completely homogenized.

As I've mentioned, it could be at the players discretion to raise their attributes. IF the player was to balance their character's stats in order to be capable of 'everything', their character would be severely nerfed in comparison to someone who boosted MST in order to use techs effectively. We could say certain races are limited, or have less of a selection, such as the Cast's incapability of raising MST/PP.

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 12:26 PM
^

I recommend you go play a Perfect World game, then, where EVERYONE has the exact same growth potential and starting stats and where the only two real classes are "hunter" and "ranger".

-Wayu

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 12:29 PM
@ffuzzy

I think the people that care to get it actually get it. your idea has it's merits but most people disagree and you know it. people like feeling different but people also like being powerful. in the end if you could "reroll" you'd just end up with about 3 classes with mild variations anyway and the rest would be aesthetics. The race thing forces diversity where the customization thing would end up becoming derivative for people who play a lot.

In any case, the argument is just going to go in circles, you and pillan wont be swayed, the people who argue against it wont be swayed, in the end it'll be whatever sega decides on.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yep.

My problem isn't with people who disagree, it's with people who don't even understand what I'm saying but post arguments against it anyway.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 12:35 PM
Yep.

My problem isn't with people who disagree, it's with people who don't even understand what I'm saying but post arguments against it anyway.

I think most people stop reading when they see "everyone is the same"

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe greater consideration for diction would help?

-Wayu

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 1, 2011, 12:40 PM
I take great consideration as pertains to the diction of every post I make.

It is not easy to sound almost exclusively ornery, all the time.

Zarode
May 1, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't see why people seem to misunderstand my ideas so greatly.

Why have different classes? Because they would have different stats and abilities. I never said classes should all be the same, I just said any race should be able to be any class.

You do not seem to understand what I mean when I say I want everyone to be capable of everything. I want everyone to be capable of everything, but not at the same time. That would be stupid and absurdly unbalanced.

Start everyone at the same place at level 1. Same stats regardless of race and sex.

Then you pick your class, which determines your stats and abilities (weapons, skills, techs, etc.).

Then you can invest points (like MP of PSU) into a customization system (like GAS of PSU), where you are able to further modify your stats, add additional weapons and abilities to your class, add special abilities (like SUV/nanoblast of PSU, except not determined by your race), change attack animations, equip better armors, etc. Basically, let you play exactly the way you want to play.

You seem to think this would make everyone the same, but that's the exact opposite of what it would do. If you balance things properly, you will have people who favor different types of gameplay going for vastly different character builds. You'd end up with more variety, not less.

I like this idea quite a bit. It works, for lack of better words. I've seen it work. I've played PSP2 to an extent.

It works. Going further with it could only mean better things.

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 12:43 PM
^

What he described is different from PSP2. In PSP2 there were racial and sex stat differences, something Fuzzy argues against in his post (which I personally disagree with, but let's not go there).

-Wayu

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe people could read a whole post before responding to it.

...only in a perfect world, right?

Most people hate total equality. There's a sense of individualism that comes from being apparently different even if in the end you're not. In the case of these types of games, usually some enforced diversity with customization as a secondary is best.

Heck I see both sides of it and know why people feel they way they do about it and it doesn't change my position. Thing is the people who really don't want to listen aren't going to understand no matter how many times you tell them, there's a wall there.

Pillan
May 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
In any case, the argument is just going to go in circles, you and pillan wont be swayed, the people who argue against it wont be swayed, in the end it'll be whatever sega decides on.

Even though I do certainly agree with Ffuzzy, I really do not care much either way. As I have already mentioned, I happen to like the way that Casts look and I certainly would not mind another excuse to make more Caseal-only parties.

That said, I would prefer a game where Casts have technique access. Specifically, support tech access so I can amuse myself with the Cast Acrotecher role once again. And, from the success of PSU and PSP2 in Japan, I feel it would be a pretty bad bet to assume Casts would not have them.

Zarode
May 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
But starting everyone on the same foot is fine, because everyone is different.

I like rifles, so I want some rifle modifiers to help my guns shoot faster, lower the reload animation time, allow burst fire but sacrifice some accuracy and range, and because I was loyal for some time with rifles, I unlocked no cost extras for rifles, including a different animation for shooting, and the ability to have tracer bullets for added cool factor.

And here you are, with your bows, where...

See where I'm going? That is what Fuzzy is talking about.

MidiPour
May 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
^

I recommend you go play a Perfect World game, then, where EVERYONE has the exact same growth potential and starting stats and where the only two real classes are "hunter" and "ranger".

-Wayu

To be fair:
-MST/PP is required to use techs, but a minimum HP/DEF should not be neglected
-long-range guns require ATA, or else guns will continue to miss, but a decent ATP is needed to deal a decent amount of damage.
-Higher HP/ATP players will need higher DEF, HP, but also a decent ATA

Elitists might choose to be one of 'the only real classes', but FOnewmn/newearl were by far overpowered in latter stages of PSO.

I'm not considering the races and genders as simply an aesthetic, but as something I currently haven't proposed a solution for. Sega, on the other hand, has stated that there will be "Thorough racial balances". However they go about this, each gender/class can still add something unique, no matter if it's class based, or up to the player's discretion.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 12:57 PM
But starting everyone on the same foot is fine, because everyone is different.

I like rifles, so I want some rifle modifiers to help my guns shoot faster, lower the reload animation time, allow burst fire but sacrifice some accuracy and range, and because I was loyal for some time with rifles, I unlocked no cost extras for rifles, including a different animation for shooting, and the ability to have tracer bullets for added cool factor.

And here you are, with your bows, where...

See where I'm going? That is what Fuzzy is talking about.

The problem with this is once people find out the magic formula for the best guns, the best melee weapons and the best techs, a lot of the functional customization will fall to the way side and you'll end up with 3 fairly distinct presets with a few people saying "eff that, these are shiney". You have to have perfect balance to avoid that and the more diversity you have the harder it is to do that.

Notable differences between characters gives an inherent sense of diversity even if it doesn't truly exist, but i think if they balance it correctly, something closer to the old style for classes with intricate and well thought out customization would be ideal

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
@Deimos: There will be a generally accepted "build" that most people would follow. Also, based on your patterns, why not have classes/races/genders that specialize in those areas if one of those stats needs the others?

-Wayu

Zarode
May 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
You guys act like flavor of the month didn't happen in PSO or PSU.

MidiPour
May 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
@Deimos: There will be a generally accepted "build" that most people would follow. Also, based on your patterns, why not have classes/races/genders that specialize in those areas if one of those stats needs the others?

-Wayu

It would be solely for the thrill of having a custom build in a "custom environment", with characters not chained to predetermined stat bonuses, or predetermined armor. I guess the difference would be certain gear would be specified to certain races, or a certain gender, just as how they have been in PSO. That could be a plausible difference.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 1, 2011, 01:14 PM
The problem with this is once people find out the magic formula for the best guns, the best melee weapons and the best techs, a lot of the functional customization will fall to the way side and you'll end up with 3 fairly distinct presets with a few people saying "eff that, these are shiney". You have to have perfect balance to avoid that and the more diversity you have the harder it is to do that.But how is that any different from PSO, where everyone used 50% hit Charge Vulcans and Excaliburs, or PSU, where everyone played a CAST and used Paradi Cataract and Jabroga?

Knowing SEGA, the game is going to be horribly unbalanced no matter what; I'd at least like to have more options within the broken system.

Also, ideally (since that's really what we're discussing here), a perfectly balanced system with thousands of choices is far preferable to a perfectly balanced system with only a handful of options.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
You guys act like flavor of the month didn't happen in PSO or PSU.

If you dollowed what i was saying, I'm well aware the problem persists no matter which side you end up on. but people like to feel special and enforced diversity tends to support that more. there's nothing wrong with having customization. what I'm saying is too much customization actually makes things bland.

There's an art to finding a sweet spot in which you have both structure and plasticity.

But how is that any different from PSO, where everyone used 50% hit Charge Vulcans and Excaliburs, or PSU, where everyone played a CAST and used Paradi Cataract and Jabroga?

Knowing SEGA, the game is going to be horribly unbalanced no matter what; I'd at least like to have more options within the broken system.

Also, ideally (since that's really what we're discussing here), a perfectly balanced system with thousands of choices is far preferable to a perfectly balanced system with only a handful of options.

except people would become overwhelmed and end up coming here for a faq on how to make some character that worked really we. and then you'd see thousands of different faces all playing the eact same way. the same result as not having the overly complicated system. In the end the difference is just how the system feels to the majority and how much more or less work it is for the developer. generally, having preset builds as a template are easier to balance from the start. couple that with it being the method preferred by most and it's just easier all around.

I love character customization, but i still like feeling like when I pick a character and make them, it's for more than their looks.

Blueblur
May 1, 2011, 01:18 PM
I don't see why people seem to misunderstand my ideas so greatly.

Now that you explained yourself I understand your point of view. Your previous posts were vague and made it sound like everyone should be proficient with every form of attack (not at the same time; I didn't interpret it that way) which I disagree with. If anything, I want the PSO system back. I prefer to make a choice at the start of the game and customize later through my choice of items and with a Mag that I can level to add to my character's strengths or help with it's weaknesses.

I understand your point of view now. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:21 PM
@Deimos again: So what you're saying is that your idea of everyone being the same except that some stats may require others is just for the heck of being unique? Even though your stat choices will - based on your prior argument - eventually force you to make other stat choices that ultimately lead to you following the stat guidelines of a class?

I'm not entirely sure how different that is from having class/race/gender differences if people want to specialize in a certain field.

-Wayu

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 01:25 PM
Just to give a heightened sense of control. in the end, it's no different, just a preference for how to get there.

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:29 PM
A sense of pseudocontrol?

-Wayu

MidiPour
May 1, 2011, 01:30 PM
By the way, I'm TC.

It is no different, there is control, but only novices will be willing to experiment. The Possibility of creating a weaker Ranger / Hunter hybrid is there. Only PSO veteran, and people keen on using FAQs, would consider otherwise.

Just to give a heightened sense of control. in the end, it's no different, just a preference for how to get there.

It would be solely for the thrill of having a custom build in a "custom environment",

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:31 PM
...so what was the point in bringing it up? ^^;

-Wayu

Reksanden
May 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
(Follows less than half of what's being said) Erm... Can't say if casts should be able to use techs is a good thing or not, but since any cast I use tends to focus on phisical ability anyway... I mean, why would casts need techs? I can't support this or ridicule this, since even if casts could use techs, mine probably wouldn't.

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
@Deimos: So basically, you want something similar to PSO and the Materials?

Pillan
May 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
(Follows less than half of what's being said) Erm... Can't say if casts should be able to use techs is a good thing or not, but since any cast I use tends to focus on phisical ability anyway... I mean, why would casts need techs? I can't support this or ridicule this, since even if casts could use techs, mine probably wouldn't.

You never once wished you did not have to wait for the FOmarl to cast Shifta and Deband in Ultimate?

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
Probably for those die-hard FOcast/caseal people. I dunno why they'd chose that class for the race worst suited for it other than for balance...

-Wayu

•Col•
May 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think there should be stat differences between the races... But not as extreme as they are now. I think you should be able to make up with the stat differences through the use of Mags...

Blueblur
Probably for those die-hard FOcast/caseal people. I dunno why they'd chose that class for the race worst suited for it other than for balance...

-Wayu
I feel the same way.

Split
You sir have just created the coolest FOcast/caseal ever. I fucking love it!

And again, if classes are going with PSO's style, then it wouldn't seem right if Casts can't be Forces and yet Newmans can be Rangers. Casts would literally be short one class.

However, if they go with the 'any race can be any class' approach, then that would answer that. :D

Might as well turn this into a poll. It will probably end up having the same interesting results as the 'Should Beasts be in PSO2' thread.Thanks :) and yeah if they decide to keep Casts away from the force class entirely, then I'd say give them some other unique ability, perhaps some sort of expansion on traps (make it so you can hold much more of them at a time, make them upgradable, etc.), as I think a couple people have already said here. And even if they did by some miracle go by my idea, I would still prefer casts to be the all-around weakest option in the force class, magic-wise.

Irrelevant side note: Back in the good old days of PSO, I always wondered why they didn't add in HUnewm, HUmarl, RAnewm, and RAnewearl classes in addition to the ones they did put into the GC version (HUcaseal, RAmarl, FOmar Garciaparra). They should include those just to round everything out...although now that I think about it, I guess they didn't toss them in because the only classes missing from FO were cast and caseal, which they couldn't do within that game, and they probably didn't want to have fewer options in the force class than the others. Whatever. /rambling

MidiPour
May 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
@Deimos: So basically, you want something similar to PSO and the Materials?

I was only suggesting a solution to how a player can essentially have everything at their disposal, without the idea being absurd when applied.

Wayu
May 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
Remove Force and give them...dunno, some kind of relatively weak, highly situational SUV?

-Wayu

Pillan
May 1, 2011, 01:38 PM
Irrelevant side note: Back in the good old days of PSO, I always wondered why they didn't add in HUnewm, HUmarl, RAnewm, and RAnewearl classes in addition to the ones they did put into the GC version (HUcaseal, RAmarl, FOmar Garciaparra). They should include those just to round everything out...although now that I think about it, I guess they didn't toss them in because the only classes missing from FO were cast and caseal, which they couldn't do within that game, and they probably didn't want to have fewer options in the force class than the others. Whatever. /rambling

By PSO/Z rules, Newman cannot play Ranger. I suppose HUnewm/HUmarl were missing to keep each class at four (and save time programming), but they did make an appearance in PSZ.

RenzokukenZ
May 1, 2011, 01:40 PM

-Wayu

The same can be said about Newman Hunters and Beast Rangers. And aside from the 'for the fucking hell of it' response, some like the challenge. Plus FOcast/caseals are cool :-D

Reksanden
May 1, 2011, 01:41 PM
You never once wished you did not have to wait for the FOmarl to cast Shifta and Deband in Ultimate?

Of course I did, but I mostly soloed Ultimate..... Which would make me want those even more, I guess. Okay, I guess I support this...

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 08:09 PM
except what's missing here is there'd be no guarantee non-techer casts could use techs
or could use techs that were worth using. At the same time a cast techer would not have the same combat abilities as a hunter or ranger. Besides in the more recent games, there are items that give you buffs. if those make a return, you REALLY wouldn't have a reason to go back and forth on this.

I still like the idea of a cast specific class. There's no reason why they couldn't have their own unique support abilities.

HsBlaze
May 1, 2011, 11:22 PM
Noooo! I luv cast how they were in pso i didnt mind to much on psu but come on

Pillan
May 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
except what's missing here is there'd be no guarantee non-techer casts could use techs
or could use techs that were worth using. At the same time a cast techer would not have the same combat abilities as a hunter or ranger. Besides in the more recent games, there are items that give you buffs. if those make a return, you REALLY wouldn't have a reason to go back and forth on this.

I still like the idea of a cast specific class. There's no reason why they couldn't have their own unique support abilities.

If PSP2 is any clue as to how Sonic Team intends to move forward on the series, all the classes will be able to use techniques regardless of race. This means that Hunters will have their classic level 15 access. Of course, in PSU/P2, this translates to status up level 2, as opposed to the level 1 items.

Of course, if PSP2 is any hint, Resta and Anti will seem too slow and at too short a range to ever be useful and Casts will have exclusive access to status up level 5 (two levels higher than Force)...

The idea of something Cast-specific certainly is not horrible, but denying them anything specific makes it far easier to balance the game and far easier to program.

Niloklives
May 1, 2011, 11:47 PM
Right, it's just that it's clear they're doing a lot of new things and combining certain parts of the new and the old. so we really don't know what they intend to do.

Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways but I just really like them to keep some semblance of the classic PS series. At the same time, I'd love for casts to have something to them that gives them some sort of support functions. I just don't feel like it should be teching.

moorebounce
May 2, 2011, 03:36 AM
I feel casts shouldn't be able to use techniques. And if the game has mags and the beast race is included I feel the beast characters shouldn't be able to have mags due to the fact that they can go into beast mode.

Niloklives
May 2, 2011, 03:41 AM
I feel casts shouldn't be able to use techniques. And if the game has mags and the beast race is included I feel the beast characters shouldn't be able to have mags due to the fact that they can go into beast mode.

We dont know if casts will get SUVs or if beast would get nanoblasts if they were there. for all we know the major game breaking power of those two races could get completely stripped away.

Or every race may have some ridiculously OP ability and blasts might be a bad joke.

Too early to say

moorebounce
May 2, 2011, 03:51 AM
Regardless of what Sonic Team does we can all agree that not everybody will be totally happy with PSO2. Game balance has always been a touchy subject. Like you said We'll have to wait and see.

Wayu
May 2, 2011, 04:10 AM
@Pillan: In PSP2i Force techniques were given speed boosts, damage boosts, range boosts, PP cost reduction (for some)...that may be a better model.

-Wayu

Hentai_Kittie
May 2, 2011, 01:18 PM
^ Still can't believe they managed to save the force class so much. That class was like on the brink of stupidity and not worth using even past Lv120 (with psycho wands). I had made a cast force just to test it. It was SOOO much fun and everything went so smoothly i couldn't believe it. I love sabarta the most!

Hrith
May 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
This is true...I liked being a CAST sometimes in a group and walking through the mines being the only one who could see the barrage of traps awaiting us in the next room. It made me feel so important. lol.Rico's Glasses, Lieutenant Mantle.

RenzokukenZ
May 2, 2011, 10:52 PM
Rico's Glasses, Lieutenant Mantle.

And the ridiculous drop rate doesn't come to mind.

You've lost your touch, chap.

Broken_L_button
May 2, 2011, 11:20 PM
Well...Rico's glasses had a ridiculous drop rate, but Lt. Mantle still offered the trap vision special and was quite easy to find.

ARASHIKAGE
May 11, 2011, 03:10 PM
I vote no on FOcast

joshboyd1209
May 11, 2011, 03:13 PM
I vote no on FOcast
I second the action.

Palle
May 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well, if this is sufficiently far into the future of the Pioneer compliments' descendants, perhaps it's plausible that Montague Biosciences have refined and/or enhanced the development of androids to the point where Technique use is possible.

...or, if SEGA/ST/Sakai go ahead and shitcan any semblance of continuity within the IP, there should be no reason FOcast shouldn't exist.

RemiusTA
May 11, 2011, 03:31 PM
Seeing how this is in the PSO universe, no, they should not use magic.

However, compensations are much welcome. Being machines, they should be able to do things that the biological lifeforms normally couldn't.

i.e., scanners, traps, night vision, ect ect. I think Casts should be able to see in the dark, scan the stats of enemies, disarm traps, have anti-abnormality, and do things with weapons that the other classes cant.

Orange_Coconut
May 11, 2011, 03:50 PM
True to PSO, I'd rather them not be able to use Techniques. The way PSO did it, it allowed Casts the ability to lay traps which were very useful. Not to mention the fact that they tended to have higher stat caps than the other races. Since they were limited to being Ranger and Hunter, I think it was a fair trade-off and I would prefer them to be less similar and more different from the other races, like in PSO.

ARASHIKAGE
May 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
However, compensations are much welcome. Being machines, they should be able to do things that the biological lifeforms normally couldn't.

i.e., scanners, traps, night vision, ect ect. I think Casts should be able to see in the dark, scan the stats of enemies, disarm traps, have anti-abnormality, and do things with weapons that the other classes cant.

Agreed, ...not get poisoned (or is that what anti-abnormality means? or would that make it normal again? I'm confused...).

It's embarrassing to Forces that Casts used techs in PSU, it's embarrassing to Casts that Casts used techs in PSU. They took away what was special to Humans and Newmans and they took away what was special to Casts, everybody lost.

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
It's embarrassing to Forces that Casts used techs in PSU, it's embarrassing to Casts that Casts used techs in PSU.

It was also embarrassing to casts getting poisoned, and megid'd and becoming lord howzers slaves, and looking like optimus prime gundams.

Make more cooler looking, sleek even casts parts plz. I think I only liked revsyse(however it's spelled) torso, and the hounds set.

Niloklives
May 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
well androids in PS were usually fairly bulky. not gundam/transformer bulky, but they weren't sleek. I agree though, 90% of the parts looked ridiculous, 5% you just cringed at and the other 5% were passable. I've yet to find cast parts that made me excited about having a cast.

r00tabaga
May 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
All hail Cast supremacy! I only liked the HUcast parts in PSU but even they weren't as good as the original PSO one....especially w/o my Pinkal ID on my chest! I did love some of the PSPo2 cast designs though.

Yeah Casts will be very disappointing in PSO2 if they aren't immune to poison, regen health, etc, etc, etc.

joshboyd1209
May 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
Seeing how this is in the PSO universe, no, they should not use magic.

As far as universes go I have a theory on a possibility. All of the different places were the same. One of the groups (the PSO people ) were the ancients mentioned in the PSU games the other guys went extinct (the guys from the Master System/Genesis games this would have happened before PSO ) thereby leaving it to the people in PSU. As for compensation night vision should not be something that is in that category built in night vision is different and could be put in that category. As for seeing everything about an enemy what is the point in that? For fun and giggles? I mean honestly where could that come in handy?

Niloklives
May 11, 2011, 08:52 PM
please go play the old games before you start theorizing

joshboyd1209
May 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
please go play the old games before you start theorizing
It's just an idea/possibility.

Nitro Vordex
May 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
As far as universes go I have a theory on a possibility. All of the different places were the same. One of the groups (the PSO people ) were the ancients mentioned in the PSU games the other guys went extinct (the guys from the Master System/Genesis games this would have happened before PSO ) thereby leaving it to the people in PSU. As for compensation night vision should not be something that is in that category built in night vision is different and could be put in that category. As for seeing everything about an enemy what is the point in that? For fun and giggles? I mean honestly where could that come in handy?
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you.

Lugia2126
May 11, 2011, 11:25 PM
My Cast Is A Vanguard , Eh......On PS Portable 2

Niloklives
May 11, 2011, 11:27 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you.

Dude he's like 14, home schooled and probably an only child. He was just talking about returning used PC games to gamestop in another thread and asked everyone how to get steam on his computer. He's so dense he doesn't get a reference to a post made on the same page. He said that 16-bit games have indiscernible graphics and argued with people who have built computers over what tools are required for the task...I'm convinced he has a severe learning disability.

Sord
May 11, 2011, 11:29 PM
I'm in the party that thinks CASTs shouldn't be able to use techs, but should get other benefits to compensate. I won't be entirely upset if they can use techs though, because there's still a fairly good chance that even if it's allowed, it will still be shitty. If you don't want to play with the people that like to give themselves a hard time, than you just don't play them. Simple as that.

Niloklives
May 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
I just think it's funny when they get pissed when they're forced to leave.

Palle
May 11, 2011, 11:35 PM
There's certainly great potential for me to make a lot of enemies this go-round, depending on how things unfold.

Still way too early to tell, though.

Sord
May 11, 2011, 11:38 PM

Yeah, anyone who plays like that and doesn't expect to bump into some resistance is either fooling themselves or trolling. Might be their choice to play how they like, but it's also just as much our choice to choose who we want to play with.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 12:15 AM
I have to assume they're trolling

Sord
May 12, 2011, 12:22 AM
I have actually bumped into two people that discussed with me legitimately wanting to do it, whether they actually followed through or not though I have no idea. They pretty much just wanted to do a challenge and found satisfaction in being able to beat something in a way most others can't or won't. Guess it makes them feel special.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 12:25 AM
I'm just being an ass really. At the same time I just don't see how someone can willfully inconvenience a party at best and be a massive liability at worst.

Vashyron
May 12, 2011, 12:39 AM
and looking like optimus prime gundams.

Wat. If only!

Most Male cast parts consisted of a different style on how to be a box.

Palle
May 12, 2011, 12:42 AM
I'm just being an ass really. At the same time I just don't see how someone can willfully inconvenience a party at best and be a massive liability at worst.

As long as the party name says "Liabilities Welcome" it ain't no thang.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 12:51 AM
Wat. If only!

Most Male cast parts consisted of a different style on how to be a box.

I think that's basically what he meant. lets face it, Ironhide looked more blocky as a robot than he did as a minivan.

Sord
May 12, 2011, 01:03 AM
I think that's basically what he meant. lets face it, Ironhide looked more blocky as a robot than he did as a minivan.

I have a feeling he's thinking of the Michael Bay movies, not the classic 80s and early 90s style.

Personally I've always thought CASTs look kinda weird in both PSO and PSU. I mean, wtf was up with the heads in PSO? We had things like the hammerhead and that really long giant speaker helmet thing, dunno what the heck those were about. Granted I did use the hammerhead on a short midget robot for comedic effect, but honestly they could have added some better options. Female robots were clearly total fanservice with the human skin and faces that the male counterparts totally lacked.

PSU... kinda speaks for itself.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 01:09 AM
PSU cried out to every mecha fan out there. Heck even the caseals had a way to look like they were wearing a hardsuit from BGC.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have a feeling he's thinking of the Michael Bay movies, not the classic 80s and early 90s style.

Personally I've always thought CASTs look kinda weird in both PSO and PSU. I mean, wtf was up with the heads in PSO? We had things like the hammerhead and that really long giant speaker helmet thing, dunno what the heck those were about. Granted I did use the hammerhead on a short midget robot for comedic effect, but honestly they could have added some better options. Female robots were clearly total fanservice with the human skin and faces that the male counterparts totally lacked.

PSU... kinda speaks for itself.

NOpe

I meant the 80's style, a lot of casts parts in psu were bulky and blocky. Even PSO I made racast optimus prime. >3>;;;

I like things more like this.
http://api.ning.com/files/UJRYfmtw6ZYlGZ46Xa4-S8WW3-Rl7h9igOajGBLHyJFg0QydHGNPQ7U3Ejlb0SYNufWGHcPtSZNx FJ2k-2unf1r1mNHbYHFo/12316955428guyver.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9be0YkAZ4sE/TUrlS76Ou3I/AAAAAAAAE-Q/QndCHVAA4Rc/s400/280px-KamenRiderFaiz.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_El1G16-8JyI/TMdOBJO7I1I/AAAAAAAAAcU/TLD8DJ0HrC0/s1600/daft_punk_narrowweb__300x452,2.jpg

That's right, HATE ME!

r00tabaga
May 12, 2011, 08:42 AM
NOpe

I meant the 80's style, a lot of casts parts in psu were bulky and blocky. Even PSO I made racast optimus prime. >3>;;;

I like things more like this.
http://api.ning.com/files/UJRYfmtw6ZYlGZ46Xa4-S8WW3-Rl7h9igOajGBLHyJFg0QydHGNPQ7U3Ejlb0SYNufWGHcPtSZNx FJ2k-2unf1r1mNHbYHFo/12316955428guyver.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9be0YkAZ4sE/TUrlS76Ou3I/AAAAAAAAE-Q/QndCHVAA4Rc/s400/280px-KamenRiderFaiz.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_El1G16-8JyI/TMdOBJO7I1I/AAAAAAAAAcU/TLD8DJ0HrC0/s1600/daft_punk_narrowweb__300x452,2.jpg

That's right, HATE ME!

You coulda just said you prefer the Power Ranger look & we woulda got it. ;)

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
You coulda just said you prefer the Power Ranger look & we woulda got it. ;)

It's more specific than that. ; )))))

r00tabaga
May 12, 2011, 08:51 AM
I like the 1st one fwiw...

Vashyron
May 12, 2011, 01:02 PM
PSU cried out to every mecha fan out there. Heck even the caseals had a way to look like they were wearing a hardsuit from BGC.

I'm a pretty big Mech fan, I like Macross/Gundam/Transformers and I enjoy mostly anything that has Mechs in it in videos games, but they failed into getting me to like the selection of parts for me to prefer to making a Human instead.

Female cast parts weren't bad I found, but again seemed to me for Male Casts they wanted the majority to be some sort of box.

Niloklives
May 12, 2011, 01:14 PM
well what I meant was a lot of the stuff they used were weird variants of parts you saw from actual shows. stuff that was close enough that you could see the similarities and feel you were cosplaying without sega getting sued. it would have been nice if they had a few actual mecha like options and gave us more more simple, slimmer, rounded designs. I mained a female cast though and really hated the selection of parts. it was like...look like an anime reject or wear a hazmat suit.

ARASHIKAGE
May 12, 2011, 03:18 PM
Someone posed an interesting theory of how casts would be able to use techs. Sense it's not magik or mind powered energy it's a technique that can surge through the circuitry of an android. Casts can use them, now we just need a solid balance.

This raises a bigger issues I'm sure we can all get excited about; No footage of either cast or force, so maybe Sonic Team planed something special. I'm thinking our first look at a FOcast custom made for tech casting. :-o

btw half of you are posting in the wrong thread, customize your cast here: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187329

r00tabaga
May 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
This raises a bigger issues I'm sure we can all get excited about; No footage of either cast or force, so maybe Sonic Team planed something special. I'm thinking our first look at a FOcasthttp://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187329

I wouldn't get all excited about a FOcast. If I really wanted to cast techs I would use a Newman. Period. Making casts able to use techniques sounds as dumb as a "football bat".

ARASHIKAGE
May 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
Making casts able to use techniques sounds as dumb as a "football bat".

That maybe true, but who here doesn't want to see what that "football bat" looks like?

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
The thing I liked about focasts were merely visual...something about a mechanical black knight with blue skin that screams "I CAN SHOOT LIGHTNING OUT OF MY EYES!" other than that...If casts CAN use techs again.

The same for every other race that failed at a certain class I hope they find a way for it to not-suck, in it's own unique way. While still keeping everything balanced.

RemiusTA
May 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
As for seeing everything about an enemy what is the point in that? For fun and giggles? I mean honestly where could that come in handy?

Ever played Final Fantasy? The ability "Scan" does the same thing. It's quite useful, especially on bosses that are difficult.

Niloklives
May 13, 2011, 03:23 AM
Dont talk to him, he's either trying to piss people off or lacks the ability to learn.

lostinseganet
May 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
Have mags able to cast spells. In pso when the player was beaten on a gauge filled. When the gauge was full you could summon a monster. So it is not impossible to think that a mag could cast a spell...they did in psu cast spells that is. Yet to make things interesting make mags kill-able IF brought into battle. So long as it is in like a behind the shoulder / rested mode it is safe. Bring it into battle and it can break. Break it too much it can die. Would be an interesting thing to add to pso 2.

•Col•
May 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Have mags able to cast spells. In pso when the player was beaten on a gauge filled. When the gauge was full you could summon a monster. So it is not impossible to think that a mag could cast a spell...they did in psu cast spells that is. Yet to make things interesting make mags kill-able IF brought into battle. So long as it is in like a behind the shoulder / rested mode it is safe. Bring it into battle and it can break. Break it too much it can die. Would be an interesting thing to add to pso 2.

I actually thought about this a while ago when people were talking about how they wanted technics to be connected to characters, not their weapons. But then I thought that a pretty cool system could be worked out if they were connected to their Mags instead. This way, you'd still be able to cast spells regardless of your class.

Mags are partly biological, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make up some BS for give an explanation as to why Casts can also cast technics now...

Sord
May 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
I definitely would not want my technics or anything bound to a mag if it can die. Losing all of them when that sucker goes down would just be frustrating. Perma-binding like that to something that can perma-break just comes off as a very very bad idea. Sure, you could argue that you just need to pay attention, but sometimes shit just happens. You weren't paying attention to a meter, or you do a move you shouldn't out of habit. Crap occurs, you get screwed, and then your stuck with a hefty penalty to show for it.

•Col•
May 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
I definitely would not want my technics or anything bound to a mag if it can die. Losing all of them when that sucker goes down would just be frustrating. Perma-binding like that to something that can perma-break just comes off as a very very bad idea. Sure, you could argue that you just need to pay attention, but sometimes shit just happens. You weren't paying attention to a meter, or you do a move you shouldn't out of habit. Crap occurs, you get screwed, and then your stuck with a hefty penalty to show for it.

Yeah, I didn't the breaking part of his idea, and wasn't promoting it. >.>

Even IF technics weren't connected to Mags... If you put dozens of hours into it, a Mag shouldn't just all of a sudden break...

Niloklives
May 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
there's just no good reason to have casts tech. if mags were the source of you ability to tech, then it would stand to reason that mags would be the ones with the stats for casting. this would make it so stats had to be completely restructured since casts and newmans were now on the same level of ability tech wise.

Why go through all that? most people want the techs just to self buff and resta. There are items for that.

•Col•
May 14, 2011, 04:06 PM
there's just no good reason to have casts tech. if mags were the source of you ability to tech, then it would stand to reason that mags would be the ones with the stats for casting. this would make it so stats had to be completely restructured since casts and newmans were now on the same level of ability tech wise.

Nah, just say the MND/TEC stats represent the character's capacity to spiritually link to the Mag or whatever.

Whatever though, I don't give a **** about Casts. <_<

chaoelite
May 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
I agree casts should have some special ability instead of techs like in PS4 they had hyper jammer attachment could take that to pso2 and make it where it can stop all robot type enemies for a certain time. And for pso vets maybe make a garanz launcher attachment for your Racast that shoots missles over a certain area :D

SyianZi
May 16, 2011, 01:40 PM
quite simply, no! It's just I think the three class types are fantastic the way they are, I'm sure they could be improved but I really wouldn't want to see the basics of the PSO formula changed. I like things like the Human Ranger types because I think thats a good substitute for Casts and FO's combined.

Dongra
May 16, 2011, 01:53 PM
I really wouldn't want to see the basics of the PSO formula changed.
Careful now. Around these here parts, wanting something to remain the same for PSO2 as it was in PSO will grant you the label of PSO purist which will lead you to being shunned by this almighty community.

r00tabaga
May 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
Careful now. Around these here parts, wanting something to remain the same for PSO2 as it was in PSO will grant you the label of PSO purist which will lead you to being shunned by this almighty community.

Boy, you ain't kidding!

SyianZi
May 16, 2011, 02:25 PM
phooey! lol I'm all for change. It's just i'm a big believer in not fixing what isn't broken. I love the whole fluidness of aiming for RA's and the epic melee combat is fantastic. What I did think about a long time ago was RA's consuming tech disks to use em, like a consumable,but I can't see it, I think I would rather do without mags than see a cast use techs!

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
Careful now. Around these here parts, wanting something to remain the same for PSO2 as it was in PSO will grant you the label of PSO purist which will lead you to being shunned by this almighty community.Mostly because a lot of the shit in PSO was downright awful.

r00tabaga
May 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Ffuzzy-Logik;2634830]Mostly because a lot of the shit in PSO was awful.

10 years ago it wasn't. If they did PSO HD:Remix people would go nuts...play the game...realize how dated everything is & better graphics didn't really help.
I'm hoping for a legit 3rd progression in this series. I think both pso & psu are very dated. Everyone knows PSU was designed for ps2. Graphics may not be groundbreaking but the game should, by 2011's standards anyways.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
No, you are absolutely right. Both PSO and PSU are dated, the difference is that, while a technically superior game in most ways, PSU was dated when it was released.

Niloklives
May 16, 2011, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Ffuzzy-Logik;2634830]Mostly because a lot of the shit in PSO was awful.

10 years ago it wasn't. If they did PSO HD:Remix people would go nuts...play the game...realize how dated everything is & better graphics didn't really help.
I'm hoping for a legit 3rd progression in this series. I think both pso & psu are very dated. Everyone knows PSU was designed for ps2. Graphics may not be groundbreaking but the game should, by 2011's standards anyways.

Right but the point he's making is that clinging to PSO for much more than atmosphere is a sign of being delusional. PSO was great for its time and it's still fun once in a while, but people saying they want PSO with more stages and better graphics don't accurately remember playing PSO.

For example i recall someone trying to say that PSO's combat was incredibly deep with subtle animations the monsters had that functioned as tells for what they were going to do. I don't remember the monster hunter logo being on my copy of the game.

r00tabaga
May 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
[quote=r00tabaga;2634885]

Right but the point he's making is that clinging to PSO for much more than atmosphere is a sign of being delusional. PSO was great for its time and it's still fun once in a while, but people saying they want PSO with more stages and better graphics don't accurately remember playing PSO.

For example i recall someone trying to say that PSO's combat was incredibly deep with subtle animations the monsters had that functioned as tells for what they were going to do. I don't remember the monster hunter logo being on my copy of the game.

I still fire up Blue Burst from time to time but it is old. Saying PSO's combat was shallow is putting it kindly. Anyone remember how long Sakai said they've been working on pso2? I'm really Jonesing for Force videos after seeing Rangers getting improved. Just pleez, for the love of God, no FOcasts SEGA!

Sord
May 16, 2011, 06:47 PM
VII. GAME DEVELOPMENT:
Development of PSO2 has been running alongside PSP2 Infinity, so the game is further along in development than some people likely think
That long I guess.

chibipocky15
May 16, 2011, 07:51 PM
yes, they should :)
they're rangers, so they should be good at long range :)

joshboyd1209
May 16, 2011, 08:06 PM
yes, they should :)
they're rangers, so they should be good at long range :)
Not all technics are necesarily long range/the best at long range. Plus they didn't use them in PSO and since this it's sequel I'm going to have to argue against your opinion. No FOcasts!

EDIT: And NO FOcaseals either!

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 16, 2011, 08:16 PM
agreeing there, i don't want casts to use techs, give them bombs that are actually useful or something like that

Sord
May 16, 2011, 08:26 PM
agreeing there, i don't want casts to use techs, give them bombs that are actually useful or something like that

That'd be a pretty good successor to traps. Though Protranser had traps in PSU so I'm wondering if they'll implement that for all of the CAST race instead. Could do both, but I guess that would mean a balance between the two. Bombs/grenades that are mobile and can be thrown directly into a mob but do less splash damage vs a claymore type trap with more spread or something that you'll have to kite a monster into. Or something along those lines. Though we may already have grenade launchers already, so probably just wind up being claymore traps or a different type of bomb all together.

r00tabaga
May 16, 2011, 08:31 PM

I'm gonna get killed for this, buuuuuut, I would be fine with just Newmans handling techs. I know people don't choose humans when they want a pure Force anyways so why not make humans have unique abilities of some sort, like casts did in PSO. Something to make them desirable still could be bombs (thrown). Casts could stiil have traps (placed).

joshboyd1209
May 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm gonna get killed for this, buuuuuut, I would be fine with just Newmans handling techs. I know people don't choose humans when they want a pure Force anyways so why not make humans have unique abilities of some sort, like casts did in PSO. Something to make them desirable still could be bombs (thrown). Casts could still have traps (placed).
That's a good idea, but I'm only with it as long as they don't make designing a force newman impossible. Unlike in PSO where it was impossible, because there was only one outfit and it looked like it belonged on a medieval hippie.

Revy
May 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
I vote no fo' FOcasts. And for those of you wanting a "limited" FOcast ability to buff, why can't we just add booster consumables like agtaride & defbaride from PSU and call it a day? Granted Forces can/would have a higher level booster buffs than what you could buy, but I think that'd be enough.

PSO was one of the few RPGs I've played that had difference in stats based on gender. That might not be too "P.C." for some, but I welcomed it. Was always fun having debates whether a RAcast's pure power vs a RAcaseal's over all acc. with a pure power MAG worked better in the long run.

Hell I was a sufficient DPS in PSO without having to worry that I wasn't a tech or couldn't use them. And I was hard enough not to worry about having any TECH heals, just me an muh-Mates did the job. Breaking the mechanics just for the sake diversity just makes for a broken game.

Seeing traps, putting them down and not getting poisoned was good enough. It'll be a different game for sure and I hope they'll be more creative with the weapons and abilities but for what PSO was and for the time it was fun. I might be too nostalgic but I'd love to see a rehash of some of these basic class-based abilities. But whatever happens, PSO2 should be the best one yet if only because it's not tied to a console. I've been hearing that PSU-Japan cut console support and it's been a flood of game content ever since, and if they can keep that going for PSO2 then I'll be happy. Gun-o-the-month ;D

Sord
May 16, 2011, 08:45 PM
I vote no fo' FOcasts. And for those of you wanting a "limited" FOcast ability to buff, why can't we just add booster consumables like agtaride & defbaride from PSU and call it a day? Granted Forces can/would have a higher level booster buffs than what you could buy, but I think that'd be enough.

Could also just boost the buffs from said items whenever they are used by a CAST, rather than making separate ones. That could actually be applied to 'mates as well. Would jive with the fact that in PSO they could regenerate. Status ailments ones (for ones that actually apply, like shock) could also give a temporary immunity to that status for a short time as well. So get shocked, take something to get rid of it, lose shock and become immune to shock for 15 seconds or something (looking at you Mines, you jerk.) Could make a nice tank purpose out of CASTs that way. Cure/buff party items could make them decent front line medics as well with a boost.

joshboyd1209
May 16, 2011, 08:51 PM

PSO was one of the few RPGs I've played that had difference in stats based on gender. That might not be too "P.C." for some, but I welcomed it. Was always fun having debates whether a RAcast's pure power vs a RAcaseal's over all acc. with a pure power MAG worked better in the long run.

Hell I was a sufficient DPS in PSO without having to worry that I wasn't a tech or couldn't use them. And I was hard enough not to worry about having any TECH heals, just me an muh-Mates did the job. Breaking the mechanics just for the sake diversity just makes for a broken game.

Seeing traps, putting them down and not getting poisoned was good enough. It'll be a different game for sure and I hope they'll be more creative with the weapons and abilities but for what PSO was and for the time it was fun. I might be too nostalgic but I'd love to see a rehash of some of these basic class-based abilities. But whatever happens, PSO2 should be the best one yet if only because it's not tied to a console. I've been hearing that PSU-Japan cut console support and it's been a flood of game content ever since, and if they can keep that going for PSO2 then I'll be happy. Gun-o-the-month ;D
HMMM maybe they'll make traps more like hand grenades in this one.

ARASHIKAGE
May 16, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm gonna get killed for this, buuuuuut, I would be fine with just Newmans handling techs. I know people don't choose humans when they want a pure Force anyways so why not make humans have unique abilities of some sort, like casts did in PSO. Something to make them desirable still could be bombs (thrown). Casts could stiil have traps (placed).

We have killed for less. You are forgetting one of the most handy techs of all; Resta. Resta (and Shifta/Deband) was the one big edge my RAmar had over the RAcasts and it enabled me to solo very proficiently. I was gravely disappointed that I could not use Resta without linking it to a weapon, that required me to be a force to use! (It still hurts)

That said... you're right that it the attacking techs were little more than novelty for a human that has low MST.

chibipocky15
May 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
On PSU games,
I've played as a FoCaseal, I like them. I think it would be nice to have them, and they're challenging and fun. Everyone should have the choice both they're favorite class, and race. Regardless of others opinion, there should be an option. I like giving stupid short answers. In my opinion there should, regardless of your's.

-Pandora-
May 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
Even though I'm dedicated to using CASTS, I don't think that CASTS should use techs. Im so used to not having them. Yet they should give us traps like the did in the original PSO. Even better, they should add more special types of traps. Like, um... Poison traps? something like that would be pretty neat :3.

RemiusTA
May 16, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah, Resta was the absolute biggest loss for Casts in PSO...however people seem to overlook the fact that they regenerated health if you let them stand still. (just how Newmans regenerated TP.)

In this game, they can be given a "repair" ability that lets them heal while stationary. No, it isnt a replacement for Resta, but it's still pretty neat.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wait, people actually utilized the HP/TP restore abilities of standing still? No, you must be joking.

RemiusTA
May 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
Have you ever played PSO outside of endgame stats and equipment, Fuzzy? You speak as if you start the game at level 120 with a maxed out bank of meseta and an inventory full of 900% hit charge vulcans.

Yes, the class differences and weapon gimmicks WERE useful for a good chunk of your playtime in PSO. Especially during challenge mode on first playthrough.

Broken_L_button
May 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
Wait, people actually utilized the HP/TP restore abilities of standing still? No, you must be joking.

Depends on what kind of damage I took and how fast the party I'm running with is. The regen is somewhat nice at higher levels when you're doing particularly long quests and some members take a break. Looking at you, Lost Havoc Vulcan and you other homebrewed retrieval quests...Darn, now I'm itching to get trolled by megid traps again.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
That was actually pretty much true after you hit level 200 and decided to start a new character. Getting to 120 took about three days worth of TTF.

But seriously, the HP/TP restore abilities were kind of worthless, since it was faster to just munch mates/fluids and pipe back up to the shop when you ran out. It's the same in PSU, where it always made more sense to pop Photon Charges versus standing around waiting for your PP to recharge.

RemiusTA
May 16, 2011, 11:47 PM
In times where that wasnt possible, or where you were strapped for money (fluids were expensive), they proved to be quite a useful perk.

Of course, overall, if you were well off you never needed them. But i can recall plenty of times where i was able to run from a boss and stand still just long enough to get more attacks / resta / reverser out and keep the party going if we were low on moons or fluids or mates. The abilties wern't useless, they just had a small number of occasions where they were immediately helpful.

It's like having a fire extinguisher in your house. Chances are, you've never used it before, and outside of its purpose, it's completely useless. Put the wrong thing into your toaster oven, though...

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 11:49 PM
I would always just smack enemies with my 50% hit Double Saber when I got low on TP. I almost never had to use a single fluid.

RemiusTA
May 16, 2011, 11:51 PM
I dont even know why i do this with you anymore, Fuzzy...

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 16, 2011, 11:53 PM
50% hit Double Saber was a reward for a storyline quest. Everyone and their brother had one, it wasn't anything special.

bns1991
May 17, 2011, 07:45 AM
I don't think casts should be able to use techniques. In pso, the thing that makes them the most different from all the other classes is the fact that they use traps and not techniques. I think they should add more traps to the CAST arsenal.

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 07:50 AM
I don't think casts should be able to use techniques. In pso, the thing that makes them the most different from all the other classes is the fact that they use traps and not techniques. I think they should add more traps to the CAST arsenal.

Definately! Essentially you could give casts buff & resta-type traps too. In place of techs, just give them equivalent traps of the same tech. I like that. Instead of "everyone has everything".

Edit: Maybe just give casts the opportunity to hold more mates & buff-mates (shiftaride,etc) instead of in trap form. But more damage traps are needed fo sho.

ARASHIKAGE
May 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
We should poll this thread, it appears that most of us are in agreement that Casts should not use techs. But I'd still like to see it polled.

Omega-z
May 17, 2011, 06:22 PM
It's too soon to say what will happen. It is odd that both Male and Female Neuman's had Guns in the Video and there was even a Female Human Force that was using a Gun too in the screen shots. lol the Neuman Male looked like a KISS member with a green Tie colored paint ball suit.

Parn
May 17, 2011, 06:24 PM
To answer the thread's, no, they should not use the force because they are not organic. Only organics have midichlorians.

Miyoko
May 17, 2011, 06:41 PM
To answer the thread's, no, they should not use the force because they are not organic. Only organics have midichlorians.

First I laughed. Now I hate you. >:(

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 06:52 PM
First I laughed. Now I hate you. >:(

You might still get your FOcaseal, don't worry. I never knew that bit about casts that Parn mentioned though. I wish there was a phantasy star guide somewhere. I have really no clue about anything before the events in PSO. I always thought of casts as 50/50's. Oh well. I still heart them. :)

Evila
May 17, 2011, 07:13 PM
That was a Star Wars joke. You know, like the topic title. :wacko:

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 07:15 PM
I should brush up on my pop culture. He sounded convincing though. Whoops.

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 08:02 PM
...how do you not know starwars? o_o

r00tabaga
May 17, 2011, 08:09 PM
...how do you not know starwars? o_o

Empire was my 1st movie too. I have not kept up with the recent ones & I'm gonna guess that's what Parn was referring to. I still wish I knew more about this series besides PSO & PSPo2.

Niloklives
May 17, 2011, 08:25 PM
The old PS games are very easy to get to run on a PC. PM me if you want info.

Eclypse
May 18, 2011, 01:16 PM
I say no. Logically it doesn't make much sense for Casts to have access to FOrce powers. I can understand them doing it for balance, but in terms of character type balancing it doesn't make much sense.

RenzokukenZ
May 19, 2011, 05:16 AM
Phantasy Star is a Sci-Fi Fantasy game, where you wear armor and swing a sword against aliens in space. That alone doesn't make sense, so why should robots using magic make any sense at all? :grin:

Just because Casts haven't used techs in the past games (Classic and PSO) doesn't mean that the flow of knowledge and technology within those universes has remained stationary. Casts could have eventually learned to utilize techs, or some other plot device.

Besides, FOcasts would make great melee techers.

Zaix
May 19, 2011, 05:27 AM
I have no real preference one way or the other. However I will say that the option is nice for some people out there.

Shadownami92
May 20, 2011, 12:12 AM
Honestly if they do make it so Casts can use techs and be a Force class, they should at least make Force-like customization options for them.

Would be weird if all FoCasts looked like mechanical chiseled abed hunters that look like they could chop trees in half with their bare hands rather than a Cast that looks like it was built to retain tech information and actually look like it should be able to cast techs.

MESeele
May 20, 2011, 06:59 PM
Casts using techs would be like Bulma firing off a kamehameha. Sure she has ki like everything else in the universe, but I don't see it making much of an impact.

So imo either they cannot use techs or they would be really terrible with them. Like Dan in streetfighter —*only used to cherry tap others for kicks.

Light dragon
May 20, 2011, 07:26 PM
Love the first reference. I myself lean towards no, but I'm pretty much up for anything unless it makes no sense at all.

Niloklives
May 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
Dan's actually becoming more viable in SF. He's still a joke character based of Robert Garcia, but he's not as bad as he was in the alpha series by any stretch...I get the reference, but it's less applicable now.

MESeele
May 20, 2011, 07:56 PM
True enough.

But he's still probably the best well known among joke characters. After typing the db reference, Dan's pathetic little hadoken immediately came to mind. That and I was referencing the stereotypical Dan that has been used in every game but the most recent - the 'classic' Dan (so only the youngest of sf players would have been dropped out of the loop).

Demon-
May 23, 2011, 04:28 AM
I say keep it true to PSO and bring back those awesome traps.

Deimos
Jul 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
OP here, looks like CASTS can use the FOrce.

http://pso2.jp/gallery/screenshot/image/element/20110726/ss_43_l.jpg

Tyreek
Jul 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
Sega has spoken.

yoshiblue
Jul 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
They can thank Vivienne

RemiusTA
Jul 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
Dan's actually becoming more viable in SF. He's still a joke character based of Robert Garcia, but he's not as bad as he was in the alpha series by any stretch...I get the reference, but it's less applicable now.

Too bad the two new twins make everyone else suck.

And yeah, this thread is LOL because, as Tyreek has said, Sega has spoken.

The funny thing is, BECAUSE Casts can use magic, i think that pretty much proves that techniques are weapon-specific.

Niloklives
Jul 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
that post was two months ago lol. and I'm well aware that yun and yang are noob cannons. interestingly enough in the US pro circuit they haven't made as big an impact as expected. We'll have to see just how badass they are once evo hits. I'm a bit pissed off that a good 50% of the really high level players have picked up a twin rather than stick with a character that suits their style or that they feel is a bit of an underdog as they usually do...but time will tell.

Point is that post was only relevant to SSFIV, not AE.

Malachite
Jul 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
The funny thing is, BECAUSE Casts can use magic, i think that pretty much proves that techniques are weapon-specific.
Please don't say that ;-;

Then again... I don't see how that could be proven that way.

NoiseHERO
Jul 26, 2011, 09:52 PM
Theres no sign of techs being used outside of that one rod we've seen...

I dunno why they would fix it in PSZ then kill it off here. ]:

Maybe it's easier to balance things when only Forces can tech...

Niloklives
Jul 26, 2011, 09:54 PM
Because a common old fashioned view of the way techs work (and magic in general) would be that a major component of techs is something based in organics since it's often viewed as a channeling of energies through the body that can only be accomplished through the flesh. if casts can use techs and they're not organic, then techs must be based in the weapons since it can't possibly be that it's based on something else entirely.

I still don't like the idea and I think it's silly to say that techs just happen cause they do (some bullshit pseudo-science explanation which is basically the only other possible argument for metal to be able to do the same as flesh) I would have been happier with the casts having their own 3rd class or something...but since we're stuck with it, I don't see any evidence that suggests techs are weapon bound.

Malachite
Jul 26, 2011, 09:54 PM
Theres no sign of techs being used outside of that one rod we've seen...

I dunno why they would fix it in PSZ then kill it off here. ]:

Maybe it's easier to balance things when only Forces can tech...
Lol, I don't think that's any kind of a confirmation. Just because the snippets of gameplay all show FOs battling with weapons equipped, doesn't mean you need them.

Why would they show us gameplay of an unarmed force? Plus, we've only seen a few seconds of force gameplay.

•Col•
Jul 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
After seeing the livestream last night, I think techs are binded to weapons once again. But oh well, I think it could still work out fine if they actually did it right.

Malachite
Jul 26, 2011, 09:57 PM
I think it's silly to try to draw conclusion from a few seconds of force gameplay, just based on the fact that they have weapons while casting. Seeing as, in PSO, regardless of whether or not you're a force, you tend to have a weapon equipped at all times.

NoiseHERO
Jul 26, 2011, 09:59 PM
Because a common old fashioned view of the way techs work (and magic in general) would be that a major component of techs is something based in organics since it's often viewed as a channeling of energies through the body that can only be accomplished through the flesh. if casts can use techs and they're not organic, then techs must be based in the weapons since it can't possibly be that it's based on something else entirely.

I still don't like the idea and I think it's silly to say that techs just happen cause they do (some bullshit pseudo-science explanation which is basically the only other possible argument for metal to be able to do the same as flesh) I would have been happier with the casts having their own 3rd class or something...but since we're stuck with it, I don't see any evidence that suggests techs are weapon bound.

If everything is made up of this photon concept device, and they've said before that even CASTs have photon going through them (whether they have souls... or they're just photon powered) and TECHs aren't mystical magic but actually based off of some kind of science crap in general which is why they're not called magic but "TECHS" to begin with.

I guess it makes sense for CASTs to be able to use TECHs... or some what I understand of the concept, they could even design a type of CAST that could tech better than a newman using badass computing skills and an over powered photon generator or something.

The main problem is how vague the actual science behind CASTS actually is. Other than saying that they're more complicated and advanced than normal robots and have the ability to think or something.

Until told otherwise, CASTs are just Megaman X to me.

•Col•
Jul 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
I think it's silly to try to draw conclusion from a few seconds of force gameplay, just based on the fact that they have weapons while casting. Seeing as, in PSO, regardless of whether or not you're a force, you tend to have a weapon equipped at all times.

It wasn't just Force gameplay though. It was Hunter, Ranger, and Force gameplay. There was absolutely nothing that indicates that Hunter/Rangers can use techs. Besides, it's not like they need them with all of their new weapons/tricks.

And if you're worried about whether TECHs will be Force-exclusive, don't worry. Subclasses are confirmed, so I'm sure we'll be seeing Wartecher/Guntecher-esque playstyles available to play asl.

Niloklives
Jul 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
If everything is made up of this photon concept device, and they've said before that even CASTs have photon going through them (whether they have souls... or they're just photon powered) and TECHs aren't mystical magic but actually based off of some kind of science crap in general which is why they're not called magic but "TECHS" to begin with.

I guess it makes sense for CASTs to be able to use TECHs... or some what I understand of the concept, they could even design a type of CAST that could tech better than a newman using badass computing skills and an over powered photon generator or something.

The main problem is how vague the actual science behind CASTS actually is. Other than saying that they're more complicated and advanced than normal robots and have the ability to think or something.

Until told otherwise, CASTs are just Megaman X to me.

That's absolutely fine, but that really just fits into my "pseudo science BS" thread I mentioned. and I have no real qualms with it...I mean it's sci-fi. what do you expect? So yeah, that really just goes to show how little we can say about how techs will be executed in this game.

Darki
Jul 26, 2011, 10:17 PM
It's just fine. As Michaeru said, in PS series if I remember well there was even a difference between "magic" and "technics". Techs are channelling the photons in the air into an elemental energy burst, or so they explained in other games of the series...

And well, I don't think that PSO version made any sense. Specially when you could heal and affect casts with suportive skills.

Niloklives
Jul 26, 2011, 10:23 PM
that was true in PS4. i don't know if that was the cause prior to that though.

Darki
Jul 26, 2011, 10:41 PM
I played both PSO and PSU but I don't remember the explanation, if any, from PSO, I dropped it out of boredom when I stopped using my GC. In PSU, though, I think they explain that somewhere but it has been long since I played it in english language, and I remember the story was something on the lines.

In any case, I don't know what will it be done with the balance between classes, because as we can guess from the screens, traps are not robot only, and force is nor fleshy only. In PSO, there was the excuse of casts being the best at melee and ranged, being balanced by their inability for techs, but that's not an issue anymore. In PSU we had beasts to keep humans as the jack-of-all-trades, but sadly, we don't have them here.

Newmans, I guess they will remain undoubtly as the most powerful techers, so who would pick the place of best suited race for ranger, and which one for hunter?

Crimson The FOmar
Jul 27, 2011, 03:06 AM
Amusing this, I saw the screenshot and came to make a thread about FOcast/caseals if there wasn't one already..

As has been said, they're probably taking the PSU route that 'TECH' casting is just the ability to manipulate 'photons' in the air rather than producing anything from your own body, and therefore you probably could replicate this natural ability in a cast with technology..

Anyway, I've played a FOcaseal myself, and I'm really looking forward to the freedom, I mean, they'll be the worse FOrces, but it'll be fun :p

RemiusTA
Jul 27, 2011, 03:13 AM
that post was two months ago lol. and I'm well aware that yun and yang are noob cannons. interestingly enough in the US pro circuit they haven't made as big an impact as expected. We'll have to see just how badass they are once evo hits. I'm a bit pissed off that a good 50% of the really high level players have picked up a twin rather than stick with a character that suits their style or that they feel is a bit of an underdog as they usually do...but time will tell.

Point is that post was only relevant to SSFIV, not AE.

I stopped reading after the second sentence. Only because of how long I laughed at the term "noob cannon". That was great.

F*** street fighter. Blazblue and Tekken 6 are both better games IMO. (not to mention T6 is infinitely more balanced than SF.)

k offtopic

That's absolutely fine, but that really just fits into my "pseudo science BS" thread I mentioned. and I have no real qualms with it...I mean it's sci-fi. what do you expect? So yeah, that really just goes to show how little we can say about how techs will be executed in this game.

I was just about to say.....pseudo science...? In PHANTASY STAR?

Lol if that makes you angry, you can't watch anime

ShadowDragon28
Jul 27, 2011, 03:18 AM
I thought Casts in PSO where advanced bio-mechanical andrioids, but in PSU were cyborgs, and had a human brain and that's why PSU Casts can be Forces....

NoiseHERO
Jul 27, 2011, 03:23 AM
I stopped reading after the second sentence. Only because of how long I laughed at the term "noob cannon". That was great.

F*** street fighter. Blazblue and Tekken 6 are both better games IMO. (not to mention T6 is infinitely more balanced than SF.)

k offtopic

I only really like Capcom VS SNK 2...

I found out the hard way that all the other street fighters piss me off... and tatsunoko felt super broken...and I haven't played the new Marvel VS

Niloklives
Jul 27, 2011, 03:25 AM

k offtopic

I hate 3D fighters and tekken is so far from what made it good back in the old days of PSX, i don't even try to look at it anymore. I'd rather watch MK9 X_x. as fasr as BB vs SF, That's up for debate. I think SF is more based on strategy and BB is more based on technique. It's really hard to look at them side by side and compare them in that respect since while they're both 2D fighters, the mental portion makes it like comparing RTS and SRPG. In any case, I tend to enjoy watching SF more than i do BB, but I enjoy playing BB more than I do SF. I can't really say one is better than the other.

But yeah at this point you'd have to be a moron to expect a real scientific explanation for light sabers and magic. All I was getting at is as the audience, we can suspend our disbelieve by accepting certain things about the world presented to us. When that "reality" is put into question by new additions, we can no longer sit idly by and accept things as they've been redone because we long since set the conditions by which we accept the false reality.

Jinketsu
Jul 27, 2011, 05:48 AM
Blazblue and Tekken 6 are both better games IMO.

Have to half-agree-half-disagree with you there. I never played Blazblue, but Tekken hasn't been the same since Tag Tournament. However, Tekken 6 was a TON of fun. It's no Soul Calibur, but I really liked 6.

I think Casts should be able to use the Force, if not a bit less powerful than Humans, which in context should stay less powerful than Newmans. Just my two cents.

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 27, 2011, 06:07 AM
FOcast is dumb and even sounds dumb, why couldn't they make the TRAPS return?

PSZ was a perfect game, to me that was the real PSO2, this game feels more like PSU and PSO fused!

Or worse!

PSU2

D-Inferno
Jul 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
FOcast will probably be just as "bad" of a Force as HUnewearl is at being a Hunter.

Hrith
Jul 27, 2011, 07:30 AM
So long as they're good nurses.

BIG OLAF
Jul 27, 2011, 11:46 AM
this game feels more like PSU and PSO fused!

Or worse!

PSU2

Then don't play it? Don't know what else to tell you.

GCoffee
Jul 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
For all we know they could make FOcasts the only Casts allowed to use rods and other FO weapons, so that they (if weapon-bounded casting returns), will be the only Casts allowed to use techniques at all. And for the ability to do so, they would have to sacrifice the use of other primary Cast weapons, ensuring the balance is right for the FOcast.

Darki
Jul 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
FOcast is dumb and even sounds dumb, why couldn't they make the TRAPS return?

PSZ was a perfect game, to me that was the real PSO2, this game feels more like PSU and PSO fused!

Or worse!

PSU2

Lol what sounds dumb is that a cast couldn't use techs but were affected by supportive spells. ¿How does a healing tech cure organic wounds and inorganic malfunctions at the same time?

And traps are back anyways, just not cast bound. ¿How is it logical than a person can't set a trap but a fridge does?

Jarek
Jul 27, 2011, 03:15 PM
Forces, not nurses! :wacko:

I'm rather indifferent about casts using techs. I probably won't with mine, but we'll see when the time comes.

AfroGuy!
Jul 27, 2011, 03:37 PM
if casts can use techs without being a force and they arent weapon bound then you can bet ill have my RAcast/caseal destroying enemies with a rafoie blast, if rafoie even comes back...

NoiseHERO
Jul 27, 2011, 03:45 PM

That's the point, you pso purist!

and PSZ was a PREQUEL... that was MEANT to play a homage to PSO's core gameplay and feel. (though it failed at atmosphere)

hewitt
Jul 27, 2011, 03:56 PM

This, really

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
and PSZ was a PREQUEL... that was MEANT to play a homage to PSO's core gameplay and feel. (though it failed at atmosphere)

Agreed.

btw why haven't we polled this thread? -No FOcast wins by a landslide.-
(I think I might go play WoW instead, Rogue Tauren here I come!)

Vashyron
Jul 27, 2011, 04:15 PM
While a poll would give some insight to what people here would want, not like it matters much more since they are confirmed to be in.

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 27, 2011, 04:29 PM
While a poll would give some insight to what people here would want, not like it matters much more since they are confirmed to be in.
Your right it's all pointless at this point to try and prove a point that was already well pointed out.

btw WoW Rogue Tauren doesn't exist for obvious reasons; it's fucking stupid.

Darki
Jul 28, 2011, 03:28 AM
I love when people mistake "obvious reasons" for their personal opinions.

I still have yet to see a valid reason for CASTs not being able to be forces that actually makes sense. PSO wasn't the Holy Grail of MMOs, deal with it.

hewitt
Jul 28, 2011, 03:44 AM
What do you mean? A rogue tauren would be fucking stupid. Rogues are stealthy, whats stealthy about a hugeass cow galloping around?