PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 gaming laptops/pcs

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 06:36 AM
Any recommended gaming laptops that you guys might suggest? I do not have a computer & would rather use a laptop if this game does in fact come West.

Corey Blue
May 4, 2011, 06:39 AM
Any recommended gaming laptops that you guys might suggest? I do not have a computer & would rather use a laptop if this game does in fact come West.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwkr3&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-l702x It's a high chance I'm getting this one,I seen this laptop play Crysis 2 on max setting's,and you know that damn game is like a huge stress test for your pc.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 06:40 AM

I would not recommend laptops for gaming as they are more expensive and can't be upgraded as the need arises. Plus if a component breaks, like the PMU or or the GPU, you end up spending as much as a new laptop sometimes to get it repaired when you could have replaced a PC component yourself usually for a reasonable amount.

If you insist on a gaming laptop though, gimme a budget and a screen size and I'll see if i can find something rq. I really wouldn't suggest it though.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwkr3&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-l702x It's a high chance I'm getting this one,I seen this laptop play Crysis 2 on max setting's,and you know that damn game is like a huge stress test for your pc.

I don't like dell because they're known to use proprietary components by using odd pin counts and such making it so you have to go through them for repairs and replacements.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 06:42 AM
I just need a new graphics card and I may be good to go.

Corey Blue
May 4, 2011, 06:43 AM
I would not recommend laptops for gaming as they are more expensive and can't be upgraded as the need arises. Plus if a component breaks, like the PMU or or the GPU, you end up spending as much as a new laptop sometimes to get it repaired when you could have replaced a PC component yourself usually for a reasonable amount.

If you insist on a gaming laptop though, gimme a budget and a screen size and I'll see if i can find something rq. I really wouldn't suggest it though.

I don't like dell because they're known to use proprietary components by using odd pin counts and such making it so you have to go through them for repairs and replacements.
I've head good things about this one though,but your right I wouldn't really recommended a dell either,but damn that is one tasty laptop.

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 06:44 AM
I like the laptops for their portability & I will be playing mostly in my living room or at work on lunch. $2k is pushing it since this will be my only PC game.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 06:45 AM
Other problem with gaming laptops is they burn so much power you're tethered to the wall anyway.

Corey Blue
May 4, 2011, 06:46 AM
Only reason why I'm getting that one is because World Of Darkness is coming out soon,but what's your budget? Plus I got a PIP checking coming and that's the reason why I'm spending cash like this.That's 2500 right there.but I'm not spending all of that on the laptop though.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 06:48 AM
I'm not a computer wiz and may sound like a moron but...

With a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70 GHz, would it be any good?

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 06:53 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027 I would put this over the Dell. It's a little cheaper. it's got a smaller HDD(technically the dell has two HDDs hope to god they're not RAIDed), and a slightly smaller screen, but the video card is significantly better and I feel that asus is a much better company.

The dell is a good deal and and all when you look at what's inside. it's pretty loaded up and they're taking nearly 500 off the price. I just don't like dell for the reasons I stated before. If you're ok with the company, it's not really my place to stop you.

I'm not a computer wiz and may sound like a moron but...

With a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70 GHz, would it be any good?

Based on the alpha, it'll do the job. The system reqs may change between now and then though. I assume you have nothing but onboard video.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 07:00 AM
nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430, apparently its integrated.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 07:03 AM
nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430, apparently its integrated.

Yeah you're gonna want a separate video card. wait til we get more details as it's possible a better/cheaper card will be out when its actually time to decide.

You're likely going to need a a new power supply as well since it's unlikely your current one will support a dedicated graphics card.

yoshiblue
May 4, 2011, 07:05 AM
Will do, thanks for the info.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 07:09 AM
np

laptop users:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152239

Here's one from MSI. Little more expensive than the dell, but all the bells and whistles. this one has a smaller screen but the same video card as the Asus.

EDIT: Looked at a review for the Dell. looks like it has some heat issues and despite the large screen, it only supports 720p. the resolution part isn't horrible but if you planned on plugging it into your HDTV for gaming or watching movies, this could be a downer.

EDIT 2: I know some of you want to get on this right now, but we don't actually know the final system reqs for the game. It obviously isn't going to be a huge jump. In fact if you have a gaming rig that was put together in the last 3 years, I'd say you're probably safe. if you don't have a gaming computer but want to know if your current machine would be up to par with a dedicated graphics card, I can't be 100% certain because again, I don't know the final specs, but if looking at some numbers will give you peace of mind this list (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php) that kion provided will give you an idea of where your CPU ranks. If you rank over 1500, I'd say it's a good chance a video card and power supply are all you need.

If you feel you have to go out and get a new computer tomorrow, I suggest you wait since something better still may be around the corner and you'll be kicking yourself for spending x dollars when a month later you could have gotten better for just as much and I would feel really bad if I ended up doing that to you guys.

Once we know exactly what PSO2's reqs will be, someone here; probably Kion or myself will make a thread with a few inexpensive builds and some suggestions for cheap but effective hardware upgrades to get you guys ready. We haven't even seen the alpha and more importantly we haven't gotten a US/EU announcement, so it's jumping the gun a little. The only things I can tell you is you can get a new gpu and psu for a machine for less than $200 and if you're looking to build an actual gaming rig, it can be done for under $800. anything else, there are some laptops listed here that will certainly be up to the task.

For now, it's 5:30 am here so I'm gonna have to head off.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 09:17 AM

Check Xoticpc.com Great notebook reseller. I've used them 3 times.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 09:20 AM
Newegg has better prices.

RemiusTA
May 4, 2011, 10:14 AM
Most gaming i do on my PC is emulation.

Regardless, im about to get a new laptop anyway. Hopefully it'll be able to run this smoothly, and if so i have no issues.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:17 AM
Most gaming i do on my PC is emulation.

Regardless, im about to get a new laptop anyway. Hopefully it'll be able to run this smoothly, and if so i have no issues.

This list (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html) shows the highest ranked cards to date. I'd say anything in the top 25 would be more than adequate

Just make sure it has one of the cards. The rest is sure to be enough.

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 10:19 AM
Out of all notebooks showed in this topic, this Asus is definitely the best deal, when it comes to specifications:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah I like the asus as well, but I wanted to give them options

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 10:45 AM
What's the difference between LED & FHD? I know LCD sucks, but is FHD better than LED? It will be a while before I get a PC, but for the price that Asus is nice. Hard to ignore the Alienware 18M that just came out. The last one was voted best at CES. Very pricey though. :(

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:49 AM
led is the type of backlight. led screens are still lcd. fhd is a resolution matching 1080p

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 10:53 AM
But my led tv looks way better than my other LCD tv's, besides the fact it's glass. So FHD is better AND is glass?

I know what light emitting diodes are, I was talking about led screens. Might not of understood me.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
yes I know. LED screens use LEDs for backlight. They still use LCD for the actual pixels. the reason they look better is LEDs are much brighter and a truer white than standard CCFL lamps.

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
So FHD is best for laptops then. Gotcha.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 11:01 AM
fhd is just resolution. nothing to do with the rest of the technology

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 11:03 AM
By the time I buy one, they'll prolly have OLED out. Thx for explaining.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 11:05 AM
oled is still hard to manufacture on a large scale. thats why most cells dont use them and you see a lot of the ones that do end up with a split in the product line where they move from oled to slcd. I wouldn't count on it.

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
@r00tabaga: What makes the Asus laptop good is its technical specifications, especially the CPU (processor) and the GPU (graphics processor).
FHD only means that it has a resolution of 1920x1080, it means that it uses the "Full HD" resolution.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
the asus and the msi are the same in that respect. just the msi costs a bit more for a few more frills

r00tabaga
May 4, 2011, 11:19 AM
@r00tabaga: What makes the Asus laptop good is its technical specifications, especially the CPU (processor) and the GPU (graphics processor).
FHD only means that it has a resolution of 1920x1080, it means that it uses the "Full HD" resolution.

Agh...FHD...full HD......wow, I shoulda figured that one out. Thx again-

Kion
May 4, 2011, 11:29 AM
I looked and the intel i3 2100T with intel HD 1000 actually gets better performance than the fusion e-350. I figure the intel i3 2105 with intel graphics HD 3000 will be pretty decent. I also program in javascript, use photoshop and occasionally video editing for school, so I my focus is more CPU orientated.

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
If you are going desktop, aren't the AMD Fusions the best value for a cheapo one?
Not really, the AMD Fusion processors out right now, the E-series, they're not that great, they're just netbook processors, made to compete with the Intel Atom.
The good ones, AMD Fusion A-series, will only be released next month, those are the ones that will have reasonably good performance and will be great value.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 02:30 PM
Spoiler A-series benchmarks

http://img.hexus.net/v2/news/intel/AMDLlanoZambeziPerf040511L.jpg

Not much better than intel's HD 2000, but based on the price the A6/A8 will probably be good entry motherboards for most players. AMD is also making the discrete graphics SLI capable to work together with full fledged cards.

NoiseHERO
May 4, 2011, 02:43 PM
You can also use LED to make phantasy star clothes. :0

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/12/bogner_2sq.jpg

Akaimizu
May 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
I don't know if that person is doing Phantasy Star clothing, or "Pimp my Hide". I wonder what other aftermarket parts they got on?

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 03:07 PM
Spoiler A-series benchmarks
Not much better than intel's HD 2000
What? o_o
According to that chart, the A8 GPU is much better than the HD3000 in 3DMark, with the A4 having similar performance to the HD3000, let alone the HD2000.
Where the i3 2100 and i7 2600K are better than the A series processors it's in CPU performance, in the PCMark tests.

Still, I rather wait for proper reviews, instead of basing the performance of the new AMD processors on those charts. For all we know those could even be fake.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 03:18 PM
I'm not even sure how to read that graph. Are the graphic scores independent or are the cpu scores added to them? In any case I would still expect AMD to have better graphic performance as they actually give a damn and generally release better drivers and stuff. I guess we can only wait till they come out in June/July to see first hand.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm not even sure how to read that graph. Are the graphic scores independent or are the cpu scores added to them? In any case I would still expect AMD to have better graphic performance as they actually give a damn and generally release better drivers and stuff. I guess we can only wait till they come out in June/July to see first hand.

Whoever made that graph is not an ethical technical communicator in the least bit.

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 04:03 PM
Basically the green bar/darker blue bar is the PCMark score, mostly related to the CPU, and the red bar/lighter blue bar is the 3DMark score, mostly related to graphics.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
Just as a point of interest, newegg has an HD5850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102932)for $140. you'd still need a new PSU so it might be little more money than some want to spend, but it's probably the best price/performance ratio on the market as this card will run most everything out so far at a high level.

This card will absolutely run PSO2 and quite a bit more. If you absolutely can't wait and want something both economical and lasting, this is a really good card. The peak power draw on this card is a bit high, so you'll want a 550w power supply or better. A good one will run you about 60-70 dollars putting you just over $200 before tax and shipping (if they're even applied). You can buy a cheaper PSU, but I don't recommend it.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 05:34 PM
Just as a point of interest, newegg has an HD5850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102932)for $140. you'd still need a new PSU so it might be little more money than some want to spend, but it's probably the best price:performance ratio on the market as this card will run most everything out so far at a high level.

This card will absolutely run PSO2 and quite a bit more. If you absolutely can't wait and want something both economical and lasting, this is a really good card.

*Running on a 5850 mobile variant... and I love it!*

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
*Running on a 5850 mobile variant... and I love it!*
A mobile HD5850 is not comparable with the desktop HD5850.
The mobile HD5850 uses the HD5700 series core, it is actually an HD5770 with lower clocks.

Nvidia does the same thing as well, for example the mobile GTX460M is actually a GTS450.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 05:50 PM
A mobile HD5850 is not comparable with the desktop HD5850.
The mobile HD5850 uses the HD5700 series core, it is actually an HD5770 with lower clocks.

Nvidia does the same thing as well, for example the mobile GTX460M is actually a GTS450.

Aye aye I knew all that. I at least got teh variant with 1GB GDDR5 :) . Some other 5850ms use the old GDDR3, yuckies.

Kion
May 4, 2011, 09:02 PM
Basically the green bar/darker blue bar is the PCMark score, mostly related to the CPU, and the red bar/lighter blue bar is the 3DMark score, mostly related to graphics.

I just think that's an odd way to do that. 3d graphics benchmarks generally depend on the CPU. So I was thinking the graphics benchmarks included the cpu score underneath them. If they were completely independent of each other then they should have had the sense to make a separate bar graph entirely. or at least made it easier to read like this one.

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/mac/reviews/intel/sandybridge/chart21.jpg

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 09:14 PM
Good job little 2600k...you do a man proud ;_;

moorebounce
May 4, 2011, 09:36 PM
Here are the Alpha System requirements posted by Kaziel in another thread.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185897

Ezodagrom
May 4, 2011, 09:39 PM
I just think that's an odd way to do that. 3d graphics benchmarks generally depend on the CPU. So I was thinking the graphics benchmarks included the cpu score underneath them. If they were completely independent of each other then they should have had the sense to make a separate bar graph entirely. or at least made it easier to read like this one.

[spoiler-box]http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/mac/reviews/intel/sandybridge/chart21.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Yeah, it would make more sense, if what they were measuring was just performance, but that chart is more of a marketing ploy than an actual test, basically they're just trying to show that the new APUs have a better balance between processor and graphics than sandy bridge.
For proper tests, we gotta wait until mid June, gotta wait for proper reviews.

Canard de Bain
May 4, 2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it would make more sense, if what they were measuring was just performance, but that chart is more of a marketing ploy than an actual test, basically they're just trying to show that the new APUs have a better balance between processor and graphics than sandy bridge.
For proper tests, we gotta wait until mid June, gotta wait for proper reviews.

I'm in no mind for a new computer, but I want to see the results :). It excites me.

AnnabellaRenee87
May 4, 2011, 10:22 PM
I wonder if my Intel i7 overclocked at 4.2 GHz with 3 GTX 480s in Tri-SLi will be able to run this game? Yes I am playing so don't get too angry at me lol.
Judging from the specs anything from the last 5-6 years on the desktop side should be able to play this game just fine. Any decent laptop (something that cost more than $450 USD) should be able to run this game just fine.

I plan to have this game on 3 systems of my own when it comes out. My main rig (the one at the top of this post), my Windows Media Center on my TV using a controller (hey it could be a console game), and my Laptop (i5 Samsung with GeForce 310).

For communication I guess text based chat is going to be what I use, I may use Vent for voice, I refuse to use team speak. (sorry this sentence pulled me off subject)

Just remember pretty much all the computers in Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Target will pretty much play this game (except netbooks) some better than others.

If you are building a computer remember these words, its very hard to build a box that WON'T run this game and also note its worth spending a little extra on a good GPU.

My current main concern is will this game support nVidia Surround. This is something that the 400/500 series GPUs let us run 3 identical monitors to make a supper wide screen. So 3 24 inch monitors at 1920x1080 x 3 times the width.

Randomness
May 4, 2011, 10:29 PM
My brother has a HP laptop he got for $800 on sale. And... it's a real beast. Crysis 2, he SAYS he has it maxed out even. (I'm slightly doubtful, but it certainly runs the game on some settings without issues, and this is a game where the developers were asses and didn't include anything lower than "high" for settings) I don't remember the exact specs, but its an i5 processor and some ATI card, 4 GB RAM.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 10:31 PM
I dunno about 6 years. 4 sure...5 maybe.

and i doubt it will support 3d surround. I'd love it just for the sake of a laugh, but I don't think they'll bother setting that up seeing as they seemingly are trying to keep this pretty low tech.

My brother has a HP laptop he got for $800 on sale. And... it's a real beast. Crysis 2, he SAYS he has it maxed out even. (I'm slightly doubtful, but it certainly runs the game on some settings without issues, and this is a game where the developers were asses and didn't include anything lower than "high" for settings) I don't remember the exact specs, but its an i5 processor and some ATI card, 4 GB RAM.

Crysis 2 isn't the resource whore its predecessor was.

really anything that is less than 3 years old for gaming will absolutely play this game if the alpha is any indication.

Agent Bon
May 4, 2011, 10:39 PM
No one has mentioned something really important on this topic. The machine you'll need, and in particular the graphics card or chipset, is largely dependent on what resolution you want or need and how fancy you want the special effects to look. If you're good with 1024x768 or the widescreen equivalent, you aren't going to need a lot of power. If you're willing to turn almost all the special effects down to low quality, you'll need even less power. The more you want, the more CPU, RAM, Graphics card capability, and power supply you'll need (mostly the last two).

I played PSU on my laptop with pretty low settings and all was good (except some of the boss attacks caused low framerates). Mine has a fairly cheap graphics chipset, which sadly I doubt will muscle PSO2, but if you get one with the right parts then you should be able to run PSO2 on low settings for about $600. No guarantees it will be able to run well with games released the next year though.

Something else I've found with personal experience is that, if you have 4+ cores in a system, and if your Graphics card starts dragging on the processor, then it won't hurt as badly as with less cores. Then again, that depends largely on how many background processes you have going.

My last point is: If you don't need the upgrade yet, laptop or desktop, wait it out. You can always get something better later for the same price as the tech advances, or at least wait for a good sale if you can. HP, for example, tends to release new tech in July, after everyone buys their old tech as graduation presents. If those people waited, they could have gotten better stuff. As for the big sales, most of them are in late November to late December.

Niloklives
May 4, 2011, 11:29 PM
No one has mentioned something really important on this topic. The machine you'll need, and in particular the graphics card or chipset, is largely dependent on what resolution you want or need and how fancy you want the special effects to look. If you're good with 1024x768 or the widescreen equivalent, you aren't going to need a lot of power. If you're willing to turn almost all the special effects down to low quality, you'll need even less power. The more you want, the more CPU, RAM, Graphics card capability, and power supply you'll need (mostly the last two).

I played PSU on my laptop with pretty low settings and all was good (except some of the boss attacks caused low framerates). Mine has a fairly cheap graphics chipset, which sadly I doubt will muscle PSO2, but if you get one with the right parts then you should be able to run PSO2 on low settings for about $600. No guarantees it will be able to run well with games released the next year though.

Something else I've found with personal experience is that, if you have 4+ cores in a system, and if your Graphics card starts dragging on the processor, then it won't hurt as badly as with less cores. Then again, that depends largely on how many background processes you have going.

My last point is: If you don't need the upgrade yet, laptop or desktop, wait it out. You can always get something better later for the same price as the tech advances, or at least wait for a good sale if you can. HP, for example, tends to release new tech in July, after everyone buys their old tech as graduation presents. If those people waited, they could have gotten better stuff. As for the big sales, most of them are in late November to late December.

I've mentioned it in other threads. The game's minimum reqs have not been posted yet. we can only go off the alpha so we're not really advising anyone on anything except cards that we know are well above what's required to the point resolution won't matter. once we get some real numbers, we can be more specific. And I also have advised them to wait.

Corey Blue
May 5, 2011, 12:10 AM
I've mentioned it in other threads. The game's minimum reqs have not been posted yet. we can only go off the alpha so we're not really advising anyone on anything except cards that we know are well above what's required to the point resolution won't matter. once we get some real numbers, we can be more specific. And I also have advised them to wait.

Hey Nilo what graphic's card should I get for this desktop?? http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_XT/

moorebounce
May 5, 2011, 12:22 AM

In one of my posts in this thread I gave this link to Kaziel's thread showing the Alpha specs

Chaobo99
May 5, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hey Nilo what graphic's card should I get for this desktop?? http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_XT/

That's very vague, it would depend on your budget. But always get the best GPU you can get for the purpose of not having to upgrade again quickly(unless you plan to ONLY play PSO2). But just make sure you're not bottle-necked.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 12:33 AM
I haven't really checked the specifications of that system, but, generally speaking, when it comes to graphics cards:

If it's only for PSO2, Radeon HD6570/HD5670/HD6670 or Geforce GT440 should be enough.
If you want a more capable card, Radeon HD6750/HD6770 or Geforce GTS450/GTX550 Ti.
If you want something capable of most games at high settings, then Radeon HD6850/HD6870 or Geforce GTX460.
If you want a high end card, then Radeon HD6950 or better, or Geforce GTX560 Ti or better.

Kion
May 5, 2011, 12:44 AM
Waiting is damn hard. The alpha is probably going to start in June. Llano is probably going to come out in June/July. Intel's Ivy Bridge is going to come out early next year. And PSO2 is probably going to have a November, December release. We still have a ways to go for a lot of things.

Corey Blue
May 5, 2011, 12:50 AM
Case: In-Win Dragon Rider Full Tower Case w/ 1x120mm Front Fan, 1x220mm LED Side Fan, Front USB 3.0 x 2 & Water-Cooling Hole Ready (Black Color)
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Freebies: FREE! PCI Wireless IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fan [+15])
Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58A-GD45 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Triple-Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, IEEE1394a, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
Motherboard Expansion Card: None
Memory: 12GB (4GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+114] (Kingston HyperX [+12])
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+571] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Network Switch: None
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
Surge Protector: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Games: None
Ultra Care Option: None
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS It's 1,800 +99 for shipping.I don't wanna go any higher though,but don't worry about the price,I just need to know if this is ok for the gaming,but any suggestions??

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 12:52 AM
Waiting is damn hard. The alpha is probably going to start in June. Llano is probably going to come out in June/July. Intel's Ivy Bridge is going to come out early next year. And PSO2 is probably going to have a November, December release. We still have a ways to go for a lot of things.
Well, waiting is possibly a better choice here, there's probably going to be a lot of new hardware components until PSO2 is released (even though today's mid-range PCs should have no problems at all). ;P

- From AMD, there's Bulldozer (FX series) and Llano (A series) coming in June.
- From Intel there's Sandy Bridge E (the high-end Sandy Bridge for socket LGA2011) around Q3~Q4 or so.
- There could be a new series of AMD graphics cards, maybe by the end of the year, or next year (depends on when the 28nm technology will be ready).
- And then there's the die shrink of Sandy Bridge for the mid-range market, the 22nm Ivy Bridge.

Kion
May 5, 2011, 12:54 AM
@Corey If you're only going to have one graphics card, you could probably build it yourself for a lot less.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 12:59 AM
@Corey: As Kion said, it's better for you to build your own PC, not only it'll be cheaper, it'll also be better. For example, the Core i7 2600/Core i7 2600K are better options than the Core i7 960, the processors might have similar prices, but a motherboard for a 2600 would be cheaper.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 01:30 AM
In one of my posts in this thread I gave this link to Kaziel's thread showing the Alpha specs

yeah we know the alpha specs. just those will change. after the alpha so we can't say "this will play PSO2 for sure" unless it's upper end.

Others answered for me.

@Corey: As Kion said, it's better for you to build your own PC, not only it'll be cheaper, it'll also be better. For example, the Core i7 2600/Core i7 2600K are better options than the Core i7 960, the processors might have similar prices, but a motherboard for a 2600 would be cheaper.

This is also true. I endorse building your own machine over buying one 10/10

Akaimizu
May 5, 2011, 01:54 AM
Just a big warning. Building your own machine was never easy. It's extremely easy to get burned by getting parts that seem the same model but are not the same model. It's like that Initial D thing. The difference between chocolate and crap. Except computer part labeling is way closer than something as obvious as AE85 versus AE86. You'll get tons of quotes of prices you can build something with from folks telling you how cheap it is; but the reality is a lot of places selling said component at that price quoted, with the same model number, has some tiny variant that makes all the difference in the performance and/or longevity of the hardware to keep up. The real part at that price may be only available at some obscure place you never heard of, hidden somewhere, or completely unavailable at all the regular reputable places by the time you look just after they told you about it. I've done lots of PC building, throughout the years, and I have tons of nightmare stories about going this route.

If you are building a PC for your first time, I almost guarantee you that you'll likely get something wrong until someone here and point you to each component, the exact store it comes from, and that you can order it from there now. And most likely, it'll take time before you get the parts to assemble it. That last bit is not a problem, just that don't expect to have what you need immediately. The PC parts market is real tricky. It's like they know what people may search for, and sneak in substandard stuff looking like the real McCoy, down to the invoice. All I can say, in the PC market, slight variants of same model hardware suck balls. If there's anything that's the real scam in the making, that's it.

joshboyd1209
May 5, 2011, 08:17 AM
Just a big warning. Building your own machine was never easy. It's extremely easy to get burned by getting parts that seem the same model but are not the same model. It's like that Initial D thing. The difference between chocolate and crap. Except computer part labeling is way closer than something as obvious as AE85 versus AE86. You'll get tons of quotes of prices you can build something with from folks telling you how cheap it is; but the reality is a lot of places selling said component at that price quoted, with the same model number, has some tiny variant that makes all the difference in the performance and/or longevity of the hardware to keep up. The real part at that price may be only available at some obscure place you never heard of, hidden somewhere, or completely unavailable at all the regular reputable places by the time you look just after they told you about it. I've done lots of PC building, throughout the years, and I have tons of nightmare stories about going this route.

If you are building a PC for your first time, I almost guarantee you that you'll likely get something wrong until someone here and point you to each component, the exact store it comes from, and that you can order it from there now. And most likely, it'll take time before you get the parts to assemble it. That last bit is not a problem, just that don't expect to have what you need immediately. The PC parts market is real tricky. It's like they know what people may search for, and sneak in substandard stuff looking like the real McCoy, down to the invoice. All I can say, in the PC market, slight variants of same model hardware suck balls. If there's anything that's the real scam in the making, that's it.
As for tools you will need those can be expensive, but you'll need a sotterer bare minimium.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 09:15 AM

If someone is building his own pc, but doesn't know which parts to get, better ask here in the forums (me, or someone else that knows about the components available on the market could show which parts he could get), or even ask in some forums related to hardware.
Plus, if that someone is from the US, he can pretty much get everything from a single store, like Newegg.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
As for tools you will need those can be expensive, but you'll need a sotterer bare minimium.

Uhhhhh. No. You won't need that at all.

norrisj15
May 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
Uhhhhh. No. You won't need that at all.

I've built a couple handfuls of machines and have never picked up a soldering iron. Tooling cost is 0. Building your own computer isn't all that difficult. I built my first one when I was 16 (oh too long ago) and had no problems. I researched components for over a year before purchasing and read everything I could to know exactly what I was buying. That's the hard part. You have to know the industry and the components to ensure they work together.

I'll add this. Building your own machine isn't really that cheap. To be honest, you're going to want more power in your machine than you'll need and end up spending a lot. Cheapest rig I have personally made was high $900. They just always get more expensive than they are intended.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 09:35 AM
I've built a couple handfuls of machines and have never picked up a soldering iron. Tooling cost is 0. Building your own computer isn't all that difficult. I built my first one when I was 16 (oh too long ago) and had no problems. I researched components for over a year before purchasing and read everything I could to know exactly what I was buying. That's the hard part. You have to know the industry and the components to ensure they work together.

I'll add this. Building your own machine isn't really that cheap. To be honest, you're going to want more power in your machine than you'll need and end up spending a lot. Cheapest rig I have personally made was high $900. They just always get more expensive than they are intended.
Just gotta know what to choose really. Cheapest PC I've built was around 400~500€ or so.
But yeah, needing a soldering iron? o_O; The only thing that is really needed is a screwdriver.

Corey Blue
May 5, 2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody,I'll make a decision when this money role on through.

Kion
May 5, 2011, 10:52 AM
Holy smokes batman!!! Anyone looking for information on graphics cards should check here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 10:53 AM

Dude seriously? you've probably never even changed the batteries in a remote. you can do the whole thing with a single philips screw driver and there are tool-less cases that take away the need for even that. stop talking out of your ass, you've embarrassed yourself enough.

Holy smokes batman!!! Anyone looking for information on graphics cards should check here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

I've linked them to that before kion, but thanks.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 11:16 AM
That's only about laptops GPUs, the desktop graphics cards are different.
For example, a Mobility HD5870 is only comparable to a desktop HD5770.

Anyway, here's a hierarchy chart about desktop graphics cards (at the top are the best cards, at the bottom are the worse ones):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,2912-7.html

And here's a topic I made a while ago about the best graphics cards and processors at different prices:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185721
I usually update the topic every 2 or 3 weeks or so, or when there's a new release. The prices in the topic are based on newegg.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 11:29 AM
That's only about laptops GPUs, the desktop graphics cards are different.
For example, a Mobility HD5870 is only comparable to a desktop HD5770.

Anyway, here's a hierarchy chart about desktop graphics cards (at the top are the best cards, at the bottom are the worse ones):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,2912-7.html

And here's a topic I made a while ago about the best graphics cards and processors at different prices:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185721
I usually update the topic every 2 or 3 weeks or so, or when there's a new release. The prices in the topic are based on newegg.

I actually looked at passmark's GPU ratings list and found they actually have the laptop GPUs listed with the Desktop ones. nice for a point of reference, but a little tough to navigate if you don't know what you're looking for.

you're right though that link was specifically for laptops.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 11:47 AM
I think I'm gonna get the new Alienware M18x. It has everything I'm looking for (3D, high-end GPU's, tons of dedicated memory & storage, etc), but I'm gonna wait til PSO2 is confirmed for release here in the States before I buy. By then, hopefully the price drops.
Question: Is CrossFireX overrated or even needed for a game like this? Overkill???

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
I think I'm gonna get the new Alienware M18x. It has everything I'm looking for (3D, high-end GPU's, tons of dedicated memory & storage, etc), but I'm gonna wait til PSO2 is confirmed for release here in the States before I buy. By then, hopefully the price drops.
Question: Is CrossFireX overrated or even needed for a game like this? Overkill???

Crossfire may not even work for this game. It doesn't in Crysis 2. :P

Take a look at some laptops on www.xoticpc.com . They are customizable and you will probably get more bang-for-the-buck than an Alienware.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 11:59 AM

For a laptop? I still wouldn't get Alienware. I've explained why though, so it sounds like you're set on paying more than you have to for a sub par product. I'm not even sure how to answer your question...for a laptop, you'll want every bit of video processing power you can get because even the best GPUs for a laptop rank pretty low. for PSO2 it will likely be overkill, but you'll probably get more from your laptop with the better setup. For example, they may update the client for better graphics and your more expensive GPU may be the difference between being able to play and not. Plus you'll be able to play other games on it which considering how much you're ready to spend might not be such a bad idea. Just be aware that big laptops with lots of power have extremely low battery life, so when playing you will need to be plugged in somewhere.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 12:01 PM
I think he wants a lappy so he can play on his bed, the way I do!

*throws his blanket all over his self*

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
I say, avoid crossfire/SLI, a single GPU card is enough for games nowadays, and dual-gpu/crossfire/sli systems have more drivers problems than single-gpu/single card systems.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
I think he wants a lappy so he can play on his bed, the way I do!

As much as I am against gaming laptops, I've very much against alienware as a company. I would tell him not to get alienware even if he was getting a desktop. They're just overpriced and trading on a brand name that was big back in the day when they had wild looking cases and liquid cooling. It was like "you know how macs cost way more money than PCs? look at this: PCs that cost more than macs!" Now they don't do any of that but they'll take your first born in trade for a double quarter-pounder with cheese.

Seriously, someone sent me a link to an alienware desktop they wanted that had a worse CPU than mine, a cheaper video card, worse cooling, undoubtedly lacked the expansion capability, less HDD capacity, the same type of optical drive, the same amount and speed of ram and the only thing it had that mind didn't? a $20 card reader. This computer, being inferior to mine cost 800 dollars more that I spent to build my machine. That's outrageous.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 12:12 PM
For a laptop? I still wouldn't get Alienware. I've explained why though, so it sounds like you're set on paying more than you have to for a sub par product. I'm not even sure how to answer your question...for a laptop, you'll want every bit of video processing power you can get because even the best GPUs for a laptop rank pretty low. for PSO2 it will likely be overkill, but you'll probably get more from your laptop with the better setup. For example, they may update the client for better graphics and your more expensive GPU may be the difference between being able to play and not. Plus you'll be able to play other games on it which considering how much you're ready to spend might not be such a bad idea. Just be aware that big laptops with lots of power have extremely low battery life, so when playing you will need to be plugged in somewhere.

It will be plugged into the wall by my work desk and/or living room tv. Also, Dell bought Alienware...it didn't make it. They do nothing but win CES awards year after year. I know there's "Ford Escorts" out there, but I like "Mercedes". And I need a home PC anyways.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
It will be plugged into the wall by my work desk and/or living room tv. Also, Dell bought Alienware...it didn't make it. They do nothing but win CES awards year after year. I know there's "Ford Escorts" out there, but I like "Mercedes". And I need a home PC anyways.

Certainly no awards for value. :P Really, take a look at other retailers that let you customize notebooks.. you'll see a list on notebookreview.com 's forums

You yourself said this would break your bank. You owe it to yourself to do a little window shopping first.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 12:16 PM
Using that analogy, Alienware PCs now are Ford Escorts with Mercedes stickers on them.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/ The first thread is what I am talking about. :)

Sager, Clevo, MSI, Asus, and Compal are the most common notebook brands for customization.

Zepto, IIRC, is super-high end... like the Alienware you want.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
I say, avoid crossfire/SLI, a single GPU card is enough for games nowadays, and dual-gpu/crossfire/sli systems have more drivers problems than single-gpu/single card systems.

Problem is with laptops most companies seem to opt into using SLI/Xfire for GPU solutions. I'm still a fan of that Asus I linked everyone to, but I think a lot of people are sold on the "you get what you pay for" mentality.

Unfortunately, companies build their models around just that and gouge you on products because they figure you'll see these outrageous prices and figure there's good reason behind it. There's not.

Apple imo is a prime example of this. Years ago when they had motorolla and IBM make their PowerPC and G series CPUs, there was an argument for performance and they had their little niche in the creative market. Now they use intel CPUs and nvidia/AMD GPUs but charge absurd amounts of money for the apple brand. last I checked the Mac Pro desktops were using an HD5770 video card. At the time the card sold for about $150 but apple wanted 400 dollars for them to install a second in a BTO machine. At one time, there was something to be said for the apple brand as everything was high end equipment with some really high end components. Now you're paying a premium for a name.

And SOME people still like the OS and that's fine. But you can install MacOS on a PC now almost as easily as you can install windows on a Mac. The irony within all that is almost funny.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 12:25 PM

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that Alienware is a ford escort that you're buying at a Mercedes price. And dell bought the name. The dell logo may not be on the box, but you can bet the dell parts are inside.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/ The first thread is what I am talking about. :)

Sager, Clevo, MSI, Asus, and Compal are the most common notebook brands for customization.

Zepto, IIRC, is super-high end... like the Alienware you want.

Alienware is not high end...please don't give him any more false information than he already has

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that Alienware is a ford escort that you're buying at a Mercedes price.

Alienware is not high end...please don't give him any more false information than he already has

:P They were the first to offer dual mobile 5870s I believe.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 12:31 PM
We have at least a year before this game comes out anyways (if it even does in the U.S.) and I'm sure laptops a year from now will be even nastier. The M18x has 2x AMD 6970M (CrossFireX), holy shit! 330W Power. 18.4" WLED. Wow. That's sick, right?

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
NIkolives works for Asus. I'm convinced.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm still a fan of that Asus I linked everyone to, but I think a lot of people are sold on the "you get what you pay for" mentality.
Yeah, that Asus is really nice, for the price there's probably no better laptop, and more expensive ones are not much better than it.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 12:42 PM
:P They were the first to offer dual mobile 5870s I believe.

i have no idea who was the first to offer what mobile GPUs, but having two GPU in xfire is not what makes something high end. Build quality, part quality, usable features, heat levels(part of build quality really), expansion options and quality control are what make something high end.

I'm really tired of the mentality that paying more money = getting better goods. While it's true there is such thing as spending too little, the idea that the more money you spend, the better quality you get is what has driven companies like dell to make these ridiculous LOW QUALITY products and sell them at ridiculously high prices. :nono:

It's a trap.

By the way if you want to play games on your bed, it would be cheaper and nicer to build a desktop with a higher end GPU and route the video to an HDTV(if you have one). HDMI supports sound through the same cable, so you can have audio go through your TV or even a 5.1 home theater system. After that it's very easy to set up a wireless controller, and a wireless KB and Mouse to play games on your TV through your computer. It'll cost less, it will provide a better experience and you still wouldn't have to get out of bed.

NIkolives works for Asus. I'm convinced.

They're an exceptional company imo. In fact my motherboard, monitor and DVD burner all come from them. I'm pushing that Laptop because it's inexpensive and has a really good video card in it for being a laptop. But no I don't work for them. I'm actually a full time student at the moment working on my psychology degree.

btw it's Niloklives and Nilok is fine >_>.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
They fixed your name! Sweet.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 12:58 PM
Bottom line is I don't wanna build nothing. I don't wanna void any warranties by customizing. I don't wanna D/L a million drivers. I want a system that's "turn key ready". For the record, I have heard good things about Asus too, but who knows in 2012 what'll be out there to run PSO2.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
lol they fixed it yesterday. Anyway I'm also a fan of MSI. My video card came from them and many people like EVGA and gigabyte. I just think that Asus is a really good buy.

Bottom line is I don't wanna build nothing. I don't wanna void any warranties by customizing. I don't wanna D/L a million drivers. I want a system that's "turn key ready". For the record, I have heard good things about Asus too, but who knows in 2012 what'll be out there to run PSO2.

Even saying all that, alienware is trash. You can buy gaming machines for less that are just as good or better.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 01:05 PM
We have at least a year before this game comes out anyways (if it even does in the U.S.) and I'm sure laptops a year from now will be even nastier. The M18x has 2x AMD 6970M (CrossFireX), holy shit! 330W Power. 18.4" WLED. Wow. That's sick, right?
How much does that laptop costs? Let me guess, somewhere around $2000~$2500?
Now look at a full desktop PC with slightly better performance:

Operative System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986) - $99.99
Processor - Core i5 2400 3.1GHz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074) - $189.99
Motherboard - MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130573) - $164.99
Graphics cards - 2x Asus Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5 DirectCU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419) - 2x $159.99
Memories - Corsair Vengeange 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345) - $94.99
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 6Gbps (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697) - $59.99
Power Supply - Corsair TX-750W V2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021) - $104.99
Case - Cooler Master CM690 II (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119215) - $79.99
Monitor - Asus VH242H 24" 1920x1080 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052) - $179.99
Processor Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065) - $39.99
Total: $1154.90

Note: The Core i5 2400 is better than any notebook processor out there, and the HD6970M is basically a desktop HD6850 with lower clocks.

You don't need tons of drivers nowadays.
Basically you need chipset drivers, graphics drivers, audio drivers, and that's it.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 01:14 PM
The hyper 212 plus is 29.99 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002G1YPH0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new) most everywhere else...lol wtf newegg? You also don't need it unless you plan on overclocking and the i5 2400 is really limited for that.

Also, seeing as you're a proponent of single GPUs I'm surprised you're advocating a crossfire rig. Why not just go with a 6950? They're wicked fast and cheaper than a dual GPU solution.

You could also go with a GTX 570 or 480

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 01:29 PM
I really am leaning towards something more mobile though......I get long lunches @ work.

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Throw me a link to a nasty Asus lapper pleez...

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 01:31 PM
The hyper 212 plus is 29.99 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002G1YPH0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new) most everywhere else...lol wtf newegg? You also don't need it unless you plan on overclocking and the i5 2400 is really limited for that.

Also, seeing as you're a proponent of single GPUs I'm surprised you're advocating a crossfire rig. Why not just go with a 6950? They're wicked fast and cheaper than a dual GPU solution.

You could also go with a GTX 570 or 480
I put the HD6850 in crossfire just to compare with the notebook r00tabaga was posting, to show how much cheaper and better a desktop is.
About the cooler, I'm not a fan of stock coolers, that's why I put one. ^^;

Throw me a link to a nasty Asus lapper pleez...
There's this laptop, which was already posted by Nilok before:
When it comes to performance, it's not the best, not even close, but for the price it's really good. Basically this is one of the best laptops when it comes to price/performance.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
I put the HD6850 in crossfire just to compare with the notebook r00tabaga was posting, to show how much cheaper and better a desktop is.
About the cooler, I'm not a fan of stock coolers, that's why I put one. ^^;

There's this laptop, which was already posted by Nilok before:
When it comes to performance, it's not the best, not even close, but for the price it's really good. Basically this is one of the best laptops when it comes to price/performance.

Historically stock coolers aren't great, but intel has improved on them enough that they're more than adequate for stock settings. I've even seen some people get the sandy bridge enthusiast lines past 4ghz on stock settings and under 90 degrees. obviously you wouldn't want to operate at those temps for long periods and i wouldn't try to replicate the results but you get my point. It's not required and he'd more than get by without it unless he was doing something he clearly wont.

The hyper 212 is a brilliant 3rd party cooler though. I have one with two 120mm fans on it for push/pull and I have my 2600k at 4.5ghz under 60 degrees at full load. Excellent cooler for the price and I wouldn't suggest anything else for air cooling.

That said since you have a better idea about laptops than I do, maybe you can point them to a more performance heavy machine? The Asus is great and will easily do the job. In fact it's better than the alienware that Corey suggested. Might be nice to give them an idea of what they can actually see on the high end.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 01:55 PM
That Asus is basically the standard type of $1000+ laptop that is seen around, usually laptops above $1000 have good processors and mid-range graphics, but it can be a bit hard to find high-end graphics on laptops though, I think in this case something like a alienware would have to do, even though it's overpriced. :\

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 02:07 PM
That Asus is basically the standard type of $1000+ laptop that is seen around, usually laptops above $1000 have good processors and mid-range graphics, but it can be a bit hard to find high-end graphics on laptops though, I think in this case something like a alienware would have to do, even though it's overpriced. :\

Well it would have been nice to tell people "get this from newegg or your local bestbuy" but since that isn't an option I guess I'll see if I can find a few BTO models from MSI or Asus when I get back from class.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 02:15 PM
In my opinion, high-end laptops are pointless, especially if they cost more than $2000.
Why buy a $2500 high-end laptop if you can buy a $1200 good laptop plus a $1200 desktop with better performance than the $2500 laptop? :>

Akaimizu
May 5, 2011, 02:17 PM
The Asus looks pretty nice. The build quality might seem cheap, but it's what's under the hood that counts. The only thing I wish the page would show was the Memory speeds. I always don't like it when they don't show those. Quite a few products cheap out by screwing you with memory speeds and bus. (See Gateway 6800FX notebook series) Last thing one would need is a laptop with neat-looking specs only to get outperformed by a 13" macbook (not even built to game but with a slightly lower pricetag) within a year.

It's the old, you could get all of this speed from these cool numbers on these cards........but you'll never use those numbers with our patented bottlenecks. ;)

Of course, the ASUS could have the proper spec. It's just the hiding of the numbers that scares me.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 02:18 PM
In my opinion, high-end laptops are pointless, especially if they cost more than $2000.
Why buy a $2500 high-end laptop if you can buy a $1200 good laptop plus a $1200 desktop with better performance than the $2500 laptop? :>

I agree 100% just saying for the people who wont listen to reason.

that xotic website or w/e seems ok though. they have some nice customization options and such. better machines for less than an alienware. I'll have to look into it more once I get back

The Asus looks pretty nice. The build quality might seem cheap, but it's what's under the hood that counts. The only thing I wish the page would show was the Memory speeds. I always don't like it when they don't show those. Quite a few products cheap out by screwing you with memory speeds and bus. (See Gateway 6800FX notebook series)

DDR3 1333 for the ram. dunno about CAS

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 02:19 PM
The Asus looks pretty nice. The build quality might seem cheap, but it's what's under the hood that counts. The only thing I wish the page would show was the Memory speeds. I always don't like it when they don't show those. Quite a few products cheap out by screwing you with memory speeds and bus. (See Gateway 6800FX series)
My guess is that it's 1333MHz, pretty much the standard speed for laptop memories.

EDIT: Checking Asus website, yeah, it's 1333MHz:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G53SW/#specifications

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 02:24 PM
I said that =p

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
My guess is that it's 1333MHz, pretty much the standard speed for laptop memories.

EDIT: Checking Asus website, yeah, it's 1333MHz:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G53SW/#specifications

ahah. They moved away from 1066? yays!

Akaimizu
May 5, 2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah. There's actually a number of laptops still using 1066 nowadays. So when they don't mention numbers, I often think that's where they are going with it. Even though there are worse things to bottleneck than 1066 ram.

shachao
May 5, 2011, 04:02 PM
I will like to know what the best type of laptop to get for PSO2.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 04:02 PM
We can't tell you, yet.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 04:05 PM
I will like to know what the best type of laptop to get for PSO2.
There's already a topic to discuss which PC or laptop could be good enough for PSO2:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187496

Anyway, here's a reasonably good gaming laptop:

r00tabaga
May 5, 2011, 04:05 PM
SCROLL ABOUT 4 THREADS DOWN.

Kimil Adrayne
May 5, 2011, 04:09 PM
Are we only talking laptops in here?

What about PCs? Any advice on those?

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 04:14 PM
Are we only talking laptops in here?

What about PCs? Any advice on those?
About desktops, buying each component separately is the best choice, a good enough full PC (PC, monitor, OS, peripherals) can cost around $800 or so (could be a bit less, or a bit more)...
But, unless someone is in a hurry to get a PC, waiting until closer to PSO2 release would be better, since until then there will be newer better components.

shachao
May 5, 2011, 04:15 PM
Okay I'll buy the ASUS G Series today. Thank you!

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 04:17 PM

So quick to decide e.e Must be rich.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
Unless you're in a hurry to get a new PC, waiting until closer to PSO2 release would be better, there will be newer better laptops by then, most likely.
But if you're in a hurry, that Asus is a good one, possibly a little better than my current desktop PC (which has a Phenom II dual-core and a Radeon HD4850, it's capable of running Crysis and Crysis 2 with high settings at a reasonable framerate).

Kimil Adrayne
May 5, 2011, 04:31 PM
round 800 sounds reasonable. I'll wait till there's actually a release date.

Canard de Bain
May 5, 2011, 04:38 PM
round 800 sounds reasonable. I'll wait till there's actually a release date.

2011 :P.

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 05:10 PM
Checking out PC components on Newegg, here's a good example of a mid-end gaming PC, capable of running all of current games:

Processor - Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078) - $124.99
Motherboard - MSI P67A-C43 (B3) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571) - $114.99
Memories - GSkill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427) - $49.99
Graphics Card - Asus Radeon HD5770 CuCore 1GB GDDR5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363) - $119.99
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697) - $59.99
Power Supply - Corsair CX600W V2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028) - $74.99
Case - Antec Three Hundred (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042) - $59.95
Monitor - Asus VE198D LED 19" 1440x900 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236114) - $104.99
Operative System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986) - $99.99
Mouse - Logitech MX518 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178) - $37.99
Keyboard - Logitech K200 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126191) - $19.99
Speakers - Logitech LS11 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121020) - $19.99
Total: $887.84
It's possible to be cheaper too, with an AMD processor and motherboard, 500GB hard drive, and with cheaper power supply, case and mouse.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 05:49 PM
that's hilarious. Ezo, that's my mouse and kb

Ezodagrom
May 5, 2011, 05:52 PM
that's hilarious. Ezo, that's my mouse and kb
Haha...I chose that keyboard because it's the one my brother has, and I chose that mouse because I heard it's quite good. :P

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 05:56 PM
yeah best KB and mouse I've used in a long time. just funny to see the things I went out and hand picked listed like that.

I dunno at this point maybe it would just be easier to give people a list of a few good options for computers with a fat disclaimer and get it stickied so these threads dont get duplicated and keep popping up. I'm starting to see a trend.

Akaimizu
May 5, 2011, 07:02 PM
Nice. This is good info. I've been thinking of gutting my tower, I could use this as a template.

Kion
May 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
This should be enough for PSO2 right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220899
13.3", has enough power while still keeping the laptop portability factor intact.

Niloklives
May 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
the video card won't hold up from what i see. it's not listed in passmark, but a card known to be ranked above it is and rates much lower than a 7800 GTX(almost the same as a GT). More to the point it's rated lower than a mobile 7800. I wouldn't do it.

Edit:

That notebook check page with the mobile gpu listings is a good starting point. The HD 560v (ranked #91) is as powerful as a 7800 GTX. I would not aim that low as again you're just looking at the alpha. in my estimation it would be smart to aim no lower than a 9800 GT. That means I would go no lower than an HD 6850m(ranked #50)

Edit 2:

The reason I like the Asus that I linked to earlier is that the 460m is near the top 25 for current laptop video card listing. most cards above this are harder to come by, way more expensive and cause a much larger power draw. It's the cheapest I've found with that card, and it's from a solid company. Plus I feel 15 inches is still well withing the realm or portability. But use the info I gave you if this one if out of your price range.

Kion
May 5, 2011, 09:22 PM
Generally as a rule of thumb I never go over 12" for laptops. So hopefully intel will come through with ivy bridge. And I'm fine with low/medium settings. Would the 11.6" macbook air or the Samsumg 9 (11.6") be enough to squeeze by with low settings?

As a btw, I have Portal running on my N550, 2GB intel GMA 3150 netbook on low settings. I also got JP PSU, FEAR and Swat 4 to work on this baby so absolute minimum isn't a problem for me as long as the gameplay is smooth.

Niloklives
May 6, 2011, 07:05 AM
Yeah I'm not seeing anything. Laptops that small have to use low end CPUs to reduce heat. sorry.

Kion
May 6, 2011, 07:30 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I found. As far as portable notebooks go, the macbook air gets a 3dmark06 score of 4300 (if i stuck windows on it) and the Samsung 9 gets a 2200 with the i5 intel hd 3000. The 13" Asus U30Jc with i5 and 310M get's about 3700. I get the feeling the macbook or the Asus could handle low settings, but as far as portable notebooks go it looks like hoping and waiting is by far the best option.

Akaimizu
May 6, 2011, 07:40 AM
In general, they do. I have a small laptop that at least has a 2.13 ghz proc in there. Depending on how the game is designed, it could work well or not so well. Quite a few games lack the need for much CPU if the GPU is good, then there are others that are more CPU demanding. Time will tell which of these that PSO2 falls under. The tiny Air, though a bit on the expensive side (even though that thing is almost pocket-sized) works better on games that are mid-range GPU intensive but may suffer if the CPU is in demand. It's only because that 320M inside there, uncharacteristically of apple (I think they slipped up and put a GPU better than they knew about in there), is surprisingly speedy and powerful for an integrated chip.

Runs most games today fine with low settings, some at medium, old games at med/high based on title. But given SEGA's history of bad PC optimization added with the huge uncertainty given by their *new* programming teams and the possibility of much better optimized PC code, who knows? It's truly up in the air as they sort of don't have a built-up reputation with this current team. We only know they know how to program PSP software really well.

If they actually do fall into the case of trying to make it run well on a wide spread of PCs, I would imagine they'd make the attempt to sell it to the first Sandy Bridge machines for which many laptops got initially stuck with that Intel 3000HD graphics card. And while that card is better than Intel's previous efforts, still lags behind even the 320M in graphics performance. Even though the CPU is a lot better, many games ignore that factor since 1.6 is good enough. Case in Point (Crysis). A game designed mostly on the GPU but the CPU could easily be an old 1.6 Core 2 Duo, with old DDR2 667 memory bus tech. As shown by the earlier Gateway P6XXX-FX series laptops, which were built as cheaper laptop gaming rigs advertised with Crysis in mind.

Still, this thread is getting me to want to redo my PC tower. Not necessarily for this game, but for other things.

Kion
May 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
I've been looking at the intel HD 3000 a bit. It looks like it plays games on low graphics pretty well. RE5 gets 60 fps on low settings and crisis 2 get's 30 fps on low settings. Not great but playable. It looks like the cpu power is there for the basic calculations, but the graphics power, shading and what not just isn't there.

For desktop integrated solutions it looks like the Llano A6/A8 should work okay on the AMD side. For intel, the i5 2600k and the i7 2600k should have enough processing power for the game to be playable.

As for portable notebooks, sadly it looks the macbook air is going to get "upgraded" to the intel i5/hd 3000 in Q3, but the current one should work okay. Other than that, we'll just have to see what comes with Ivy Bridge and AMD's next generation of fusion.

As far as current 15"+ notebooks, it looks like there are a lot of notebooks that can probably run the game. Unfortunately, unless you like to show off at lan parties, $800 for a huge notebook that's going to tie you to a wall plug; you might as well build a desktop and have something that's upgradable.

Akaimizu
May 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah. I'd definitely keep that "upgrade" in quotes for that Macbook Air. It's usually nice when Apple slips up and actually once in a blue moon gives you surprising value for the money, but I think they'll pay for it when "downgrading" to the HD 3000 and going back to the we make you pay more for what category. The key market is usually to be a little less on the CPU and more on the graphics to keep the system feeling snappy. Particularly when dealing with an all SSD architecture.

But because that's the way people think they are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the netbooks do just that. The parts for that would be cheap to manufacture, and rather cool in operation. The competition would probably be able to build from those nicely. So unless there's a surprise inside, we might end up seeing some surprisingly good PC equivalents that match design, weight, and battery consumption at a better price. Mostly because those guys will have the tools to do it without custom-making their own hardware (which is their main business limitation).

15" and 17" are easy to get some decent power. Pick your price. Pick your PC. Of course, the easy ones weigh about 7-8 pounds and are *ahem* desktop replacements. You'd see that typical thing if you go to a retail store and see the dedicated GPU models. By then, you might as well go for the cheaper tower model because they do get a bit unwieldy to carry around.

joshboyd1209
May 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
I would NOT recommend a DELL MINI. It is too small and doesn't have an internal fan(not to mention the basic graphics processor is not very good ), and it just doesn't have the power to play that big of a game with. Also they can be very slow.

Ezodagrom
May 6, 2011, 10:53 AM
@Kion: I would just wait to check out how the AMD A-series APUs will perform, looks like the graphics core in these processors will be based on the Radeon HD6500 core.

Canard de Bain
May 6, 2011, 11:53 AM
@Kion: I would just wait to check out how the AMD A-series APUs will perform, looks like the graphics core in these processors will be based on the Radeon HD6500 core.

No, its based on the 5000 series. At least, as of info from a couple months ago.

Ezodagrom
May 6, 2011, 11:58 AM
No, its based on the 5000 series. At least, as of info from a couple months ago.
Recent info says that the graphics core of the A-series APUs will be called HD6550 and it will work in hybrid-crossfire with both HD6570 and HD6670.
http://www.techpowerup.com/145064/AMD-Llano-Fusion-APU-to-Feature-Radeon-HD-6550-Graphics.html

While it being called HD6550 doesn't really mean anything (AMD renamed the HD5700 series to HD6700 series, for example), the part where it says that they crossfire with the "Turks" based cards most likely means that the integrated graphics is also "Turks" based.

Kion
May 6, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting for the benchmark's but I can't help getting my hopes up.

ShinMaruku
May 6, 2011, 06:07 PM
The game looks like ass for a PC game you guys should have no issue. I know it looks better than wow but that game's engine is terribly old now.