PDA

View Full Version : weapon advice

Kerelon
May 5, 2011, 02:11 PM
Okay, I'm a level 112 Ranger, currently equipped with a max level Durandal and Red Handgun. And while these are great weapons, and have served me very well, I still feel as though I need something better. In terms of guns, I want to get something more befitting of a Ranger rather than a handgun that everyone seems to be able to use. As for a melee weapon, well I suppose the jury's still out on that one. And I have been creating several other characters for the sole purpose of Section ID coverage, and am currently missing Whitill, Purplenum and Oran. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed (and as another important point, I never had online access, so I doubt anything good can come of that).

Dongra
May 5, 2011, 02:30 PM
Frozen Shooter and Spread Needle are rare weapons you should keep an eye out for on a Ranger. You should also check the shop periodically for a 50% hit charge mechgun type and shot type weapon.

Kerelon
May 5, 2011, 02:36 PM
Frozen Shooter and Spread Needle are rare weapons you should keep an eye out for on a Ranger. You should also check the shop periodically for a 50% hit charge mechgun type and shot type weapon.

I do like the sound of the Frozen Shooter, but the fact that it can freeze you too is just too dangerous for me to consider it worthwhile. As for the Spread Needle, it just seems way too confusing for me to understand. Finally, I tend to despise both Mechguns and Shots, as they're just too inaccurate (mechguns) and slow (shots) to be of use. There is also the matter of a melee weapon as well, as I am still searching for one. But thank you very much for the suggestions, and I will keep an eye out for the Spread Needle anyway, though it will require a Redria or Yellowboze ID and I have Pinkal.

Dongra
May 5, 2011, 02:41 PM
The freeze effect from the Frozen Shooter happens so infrequently that you will never need to worry about it, and if you really are that paranoid about it you can, and should, always have another weapon equipped and quick switch to Froozer when needed. Spread Needle isn't very complicated, basically it's a mix between a rifle and shot. It roughly has the range of a shot and fires the same five bullet pattern but at the speed of a rifle. Anyway, it's really up to you with what weapon you want to use.

Kerelon
May 5, 2011, 02:46 PM
If I've learned anything, it's that I can never take chances, so yeah, I think Frozen Shooter is out. As for the Spread Needle, I think I would prefer getting a proper rifle, but I can't decide which. Of course, failing that, there's always the Red Scorpio should it ever have to come down to it. Then all that's left is a matter of the melee weapon. Would've gone for Orotiagito, but that's hunter only :-P

Dongra
May 5, 2011, 02:49 PM
As a ranger, you shouldn't have a need for a melee weapon unless you are playing Blue Burst. I'm not sure which platform you are on so I just assumed Gamecube. As for a rifle, I already suggested what I find to be the best rifle so I guess I'll suggest Yasminkov 3000R as an alternative.

Nitro Vordex
May 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
If I've learned anything, it's that I can never take chances, so yeah, I think Frozen Shooter is out.
Most Rangers you'll see will have a Frozen Shooter. The freezing effect on yourself will pretty much never happen if you switch weapons every now and then, which you probably will. The Frozen Shooter plays more of a support role, to freeze anything and pretty much everything in one shot. Having it do damage is kinda unreasonable, since it's got relatively low power, even at max grind I believe. The most you'll do with it is freeze stuff and get something out like a shot, hence the Spread Needle. It counts as a rifle class, so I believe it's more accurate and faster than a shot, but it still fires as a shot, which makes it well sought after. Plus it has paralyze on it, which will go off quite a bit with Rangers, due to their added ATA.

You really shouldn't pass up the Frozen Shooter, at least give it a try.

Kerelon
May 5, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yes, it's true that I shouldn't have need for a melee weapon (as I play the Gamecube). However, I feel much more secure when I'm carrying one with me anyway (Durandal's still around primarily due to it's EXP siphon, but is stronger than the Red Handgun against Altered Beasts), so I'm seeking a replacement. Plus, I never saw your suggestion for the Yasminkov, so I'll keep an eye out for it =)

Nitro Vordex
May 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure if Rangers can use it, but if you're in V. Hard or Hard find yourself a G-Assassin's Sabers. Those will be really good to you, as long as you use them right. Normal->Heavy attack mostly, as the hitstun and push back are great for getting something off of you and retreating if need be.

Kerelon
May 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
I did get a pair, but Rangers can't use them. I also didn't see your suggestions until after I posted, so I'm sorry if it seems like I was ignoring you =) I can at least try to look for the Frozen Shooter, but my main problem is that I'm a Pinkal section ID, and pretty much a solo act throughout the majority of my play time, so I don't really get to find half of the decent weapons for my character

joshboyd1209
May 5, 2011, 03:47 PM
Ok so is a weapon with 20% native good for creatures with the native attribute? And how do you put stuff in the little slots on the bottom that allows you to switch things quickly and use techs quickly?

Dongra
May 5, 2011, 03:48 PM
I didn't suggest Yasminkov before, I just suggested it as an alternative. What I considered to be the best rifles were Frozen Shooter and Spread Needle.

Edit: @joshboyd1209 Yes, weapons with a percent against that attribute will do extra damage to those creatures and to link techs and items to the number bar in Blue Burst you need to go to customize and hit the corresponding number over the item or tech.

joshboyd1209
May 5, 2011, 03:57 PM
I didn't suggest Yasminkov before, I just suggested it as an alternative. What I considered to be the best rifles were Frozen Shooter and Spread Needle.

Edit: @joshboyd1209 Yes, weapons with a percent against that attribute will do extra damage to those creatures and to link techs and items to the number bar in Blue Burst you need to go to customize and hit the corresponding number over the item or tech.
OK thanks now to end my constantly having to get ticked off, because I can't switch to my saber fast enough.

Dongra
May 5, 2011, 04:01 PM
Oh, you mean weapons? You can't assign them to a number slot, only recovery items. There is a way to access a quick menu if you hold Control and press the End key.

Nitro Vordex
May 5, 2011, 04:49 PM
I did get a pair, but Rangers can't use them. I also didn't see your suggestions until after I posted, so I'm sorry if it seems like I was ignoring you =) I can at least try to look for the Frozen Shooter, but my main problem is that I'm a Pinkal section ID, and pretty much a solo act throughout the majority of my play time, so I don't really get to find half of the decent weapons for my character
Yeah that would be a problem. If it's not too late I would really recommend remaking your character, as Pinkal is a terrible ID for a ranger. If you can change it to a Purplnum you could get better stuff, including the Frozen Shooter.

Here (http://www.pso-world.com/secid_BB.php) is a section ID calculator, for getting the ID you want. Keep in mind it's also possible to change the ID just by putting spaces after the name.

Here (http://www.pso-world.com/item_findings.php) are all the dropcharts for the different ID's, just if you want something to hunt for.

Ok so is a weapon with 20% native good for creatures with the native attribute? And how do you put stuff in the little slots on the bottom that allows you to switch things quickly and use techs quickly?
You should know that it's inconsiderate to just barge into a topic and have everyone focus on you like that. If you need to do something that isn't related to the current topic, make a new topic.

But, yes, the higher the percent the more damage it does to that particular enemy type. And Dongra already said how to do it, but you can' assign weapons to those slots, only techs and useable items.

Kerelon
May 5, 2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah that would be a problem. If it's not too late I would really recommend remaking your character, as Pinkal is a terrible ID for a ranger. If you can change it to a Purplnum you could get better stuff, including the Frozen Shooter.

Here (http://www.pso-world.com/secid_BB.php) is a section ID calculator, for getting the ID you want. Keep in mind it's also possible to change the ID just by putting spaces after the name.

Here (http://www.pso-world.com/item_findings.php) are all the dropcharts for the different ID's, just if you want something to hunt for.

You should know that it's inconsiderate to just barge into a topic and have everyone focus on you like that. If you need to do something that isn't related to the current topic, make a new topic.

But, yes, the higher the percent the more damage it does to that particular enemy type. And Dongra already said how to do it, but you can' assign weapons to those slots, only techs and useable items.

My Ranger is level 113, and I've nearly done all the missions on Ultimate. I'd say I crossed the "too late" boundary at least a couple of years ago. That's why I've pretty much decided to create a whole bunch of characters, each with one of the section IDs I still need, and then aim to get them to level 80 so that my Ranger can gain drops from their ID too. And I agree, it is very inconsiderate for someone else to barge into a topic and try to draw all focus on themselves