PDA

View Full Version : GC: Double Save Petition

BlairFoxx
Mar 15, 2003, 12:17 AM
I posted this at the rant board but I figured I'd post it here, too.

http://www.petitiononline.com/IanN/petition.html

Please sign this petition asking Sega to get rid of that damn double save. Do good for us all. Thanks.

Vandule
Mar 15, 2003, 12:32 AM
That petition is in vain. Sega cares about money only a mass hl cancelation will do something,

Avis
Mar 15, 2003, 12:38 AM
Signed. The double save claimed all of my characters just hours ago. 800 hours of PSO are gone...for nothing.

Tigereye
Mar 15, 2003, 12:46 AM
I've signed as well.

Captain_Dude
Mar 15, 2003, 01:52 AM
On 2003-03-14 21:32, Vandule wrote:
That petition is in vain. Sega cares about money only a mass hl cancelation will do something,

I agree with ya. Unless Sega/ST actually suffers a kick to the ol' checkbook, they're not gonna listen.
It's like sorta George W. and the peace protesters, no matter HOW many people express extreme dislike for what he's doing, he don't care. It's a little different, but basically the same thing... I guess...

Guntz348
Mar 15, 2003, 03:39 AM
You allready posted this once and it was locked, whats the point of doing it again?

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=44381&forum=11&1

Besides, ST won't change the double save. They did that to prevent dupings. Supposedly they did fix the problem and the double save should'nt cause corruptions. Also remeber a file corruption can occur at any save. It sucks but it's just a risk you take when ever saving any information anywhere. There was a ton of just random corruptions for no apperent reason at all in the DC game. At least this game is a bit mroe stable.

Edit: Stupid typos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-03-15 00:40 ]</font>

TCZid
Mar 15, 2003, 04:40 AM
they should just make it whenever you drop an item, it saves. thats if they really want to get rid of dupe.

Guntz348
Mar 15, 2003, 04:45 AM
On 2003-03-15 01:40, TCZid wrote:
they should just make it whenever you drop an item, it saves. thats if they really want to get rid of dupe.

It allready does, if it's and item equipped at last save point. That could work but, it'd mean a lot of savings. More savins would mean more chances of corrupting. A lot of people corrupted before the double save too. I think if you were to save at ever drop, then if you were dropping and therefore saving, and the game decided to do something else also, burst or have another character, or DC or what ever, then I'm pretty sure you'd have the same chance of file corruption as with the double save. =/

TCZid
Mar 15, 2003, 04:58 AM
On 2003-03-15 01:45, Guntz348 wrote:

It allready does, if it's and item equipped at last save point. That could work but, it'd mean a lot of savings. More savins would mean more chances of corrupting. A lot of people corrupted before the double save too. I think if you were to save at ever drop, then if you were dropping and therefore saving, and the game decided to do something else also, burst or have another character, or DC or what ever, then I'm pretty sure you'd have the same chance of file corruption as with the double save. =/

obviously you dont know how dupe works, they need to make it whenever you drop your first weapon it saves. because you cant dupe if you have a weapon equipped, darn this stupid sega..

Avis
Mar 15, 2003, 05:36 AM
On 2003-03-15 00:39, Guntz348 wrote:
You allready posted this once and it was locked, whats the point of doing it again?

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=44381&forum=11&1

Besides, ST won't change the double save. They did that to prevent dupings. Supposedly they did fix the problem and the double save should'nt cause corruptions. Also remeber a file corruption can occur at any save. It sucks but it's just a risk you take when ever saving any information anywhere. There was a ton of just random corruptions for no apperent reason at all in the DC game. At least this game is a bit mroe stable.

Edit: Stupid typos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-03-15 00:40 ]</font>

The double save does not prevent duping though. That's the real problem here. The double save is useless.

They did not fix the problem. The double save has not changed since it was implemented. You can not believe everything some random tech support guy tells you. Double save corruptions still continue every day. I should know because I got one just a few hours ago. I lost 4 PSO characters, over 800 hours.

Yes, file corruption can occur any time you save, but it is more likely to occur during the double save because that is the time when lag is at its worst.

Bottom line: The double save is useless, so why keep it around? Why should we have to take that risk everytime we join a room? It would be one thing if the double save served some useful purpose, but it does not. Why should we have to put up with it?

Guntz348
Mar 15, 2003, 05:39 AM
On 2003-03-15 01:58, TCZid wrote:

On 2003-03-15 01:45, Guntz348 wrote:

obviously you dont know how dupe works, they need to make it whenever you drop your first weapon it saves. because you cant dupe if you have a weapon equipped, darn this stupid sega..

I'm well aware of how it's done. You said it should save when ever you drop an item. I said that that will cause so many un-needed saves that it may lead to more corruptions. The corruptions tend to happen when the save process is interupted by something. I know something needs to be done, but a much smarter move would have been unique ID tag numbers that are embedded in each item. This way if the server ever detects two numbers on the servers at once, it simply deletes or gives you the 'you have an illegal item...' message and boots you. It would then flag your account and make it so as soon as you log on all your items are scanned. Also once an item has been deteced as a dupe, you could have the servers scan people as they long on for the 'known dupe ID tags'. If you ask me that would have been a much better solution.

KirinDave
Mar 15, 2003, 05:39 AM
You know...
You can greatly decrease your chance of losing a save by using:
A) A nintendo memory card.
B) A new memory card.
C) A surge protector
D) (for modem users) a phone jack surge protector
D) (for broadband users) a surge protector on your uplink device.

It's very true there are save bugs in PSO. There were a ton in PSOv1DC too, but .. one of the major problems with hooking you rmachine to devices is that power surges can affect the machine. More devices means more potential power surges. Further, memory cards are sensitive things. Using a stock nintendo card (one of the small ones) means there is of a chance of the card getting scrambled. Simple, smaller cards are more resiliant.

You'd be surprised how dirty most consumer power lines are. Never run any equipment without at least a basic surge protector (preferably an expensive and nice one). Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

Just thought I'd point this out. It's enough to lose files to bugs, but to hardware failure too? Ugh.

TCZid
Mar 15, 2003, 05:40 AM
and thats what I was sayin...

Mystil
Mar 15, 2003, 10:35 AM
My only advice to all of you is not to put great value in your characters. That way, when you lose them like this, it wont be such a punch to the heart and you'll simply shrug it off and start over.

When I lost my lv109 to corruption on the DC, I didn't touch the game for 2 long years, cause it seemed pointless. Now that this is going on, I'm prepared for it to happen to me again.

And that's why you have friends to get you back up there alittle. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif On laggy days, and this is even for BBA users - you have to stay away from crowded servers on these days, preferably Vega Block 1-3, 4-10 is fine. Altair seems to be the better stable on laggy days, but not hardly any games there. Antares acts up on laggy days too.

I also believe Data Corruption happens when there is too much data/crap in your bank combined with everyone elses in the room you are entering. Which is why I am very particular about having more than 50 items in my bank. :/

You should and if you can, get a second memory and make temp characters and transfer stuff to them back and forth in case this should happen. Keep the temp char card in handy(and not in the GC when not in use) make a new main character and there you go.

The worst thing I fear about FSOD-X is not losing my characters, or my items. It's losing my guild cards.

KyuutoHikari
Mar 15, 2003, 10:46 AM
My boyfriend actually got corrupted not while he was playing, but afterwards. We had finished playing and he was pulling out the memory card out of the slot and it physically shocked him. We didn't think anything of it, but when he got home, he found all of his data on the memory card gone. PSO and all. The memory card was totally useless. Now that's not a software problem, that's a problem with the memory card.

Reenee
Mar 15, 2003, 11:07 AM
I agree with Guntz. Something's at fault at a victim's end to cause that FSOD. I'm edging towards the ISP you people use. But feel free to correct me. I haven't had anything that would signify an FSOD at a double save.

Stop complaining and start over, as long as it's not a daily thing.

EvilNixon666
Mar 15, 2003, 12:51 PM
I know there have been folks that have corrupted while using a BBA. Also, it's very easy to say "start over," but it's not that simple to re-invest the time and hard work you may have put into your characters. If it's so easy to start over, then delete all your characters and prove it.

I am sympathetic to this cause, because I can understand the frustration one feels after losing one or more characters (my DC died and I lost my lvl 100+ main char). I haven't had a corruption yet on the cube (knock wood), but I'm not about to discount the fact that it happens to legit and non-legit players on both the BBA and 56K modems.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EvilNixon666 on 2003-03-15 09:52 ]</font>

Zeebo
Mar 15, 2003, 01:52 PM
Signed...........

thewiredknight
Mar 15, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hate to tell you this, but it will do jack. 1. Duping has been at least reduced since this was enstated because the process is now a little more involved. Also...online petitions do jack, no one listens to them.

TCZid
Mar 15, 2003, 04:44 PM
remeber that Keyboard petition, that went well, seeing how we still don't have a keyboard... :-/ So there is no point in doin this.

EvilNixon666
Mar 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
It's better than sitting on your hands.

And we will have a third party keyboard for $20.00, hopefully soon. I'm not going to lose sleep because it's not a nintendo product.

HaLLa
Mar 15, 2003, 06:03 PM
what is the double save?

Reenee
Mar 15, 2003, 06:59 PM
On 2003-03-15 09:51, EvilNixon666 wrote:
I know there have been folks that have corrupted while using a BBA. Also, it's very easy to say "start over," but it's not that simple to re-invest the time and hard work you may have put into your characters. If it's so easy to start over, then delete all your characters and prove it.

I am sympathetic to this cause, because I can understand the frustration one feels after losing one or more characters (my DC died and I lost my lvl 100+ main char). I haven't had a corruption yet on the cube (knock wood), but I'm not about to discount the fact that it happens to legit and non-legit players on both the BBA and 56K modems.

You're on.

EvilNixon666
Mar 15, 2003, 07:25 PM
Make sure at least one of them is over level 100 first http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Otherwise you'll lose the full effect.

And like I said before, at least someone is trying to do something about it. Good things often start with one angry and thus highly motivated individual.

Sedyne
Mar 15, 2003, 08:03 PM
You just hate the double save because you can't dupe safely anymore. Sucks for you, I'd rather keep it.

EvilNixon666
Mar 15, 2003, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I don't dupe (Don't even know how), yet I still support ending the double save.

Not all the people who have been corrupted are dupers, nor is the double save stopping people from duping now, so I see it as more harmful than helpful.

Yosho
Mar 15, 2003, 08:57 PM
i signed it alright, and gave a nice big chunk of whats on my mind in the comment box heh heh http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryo_Hayasa
Mar 15, 2003, 09:13 PM
not to get everyone mad.
but how would Sonic team go about doing this?
isn't a BSOD/FSOD/Corruption free net impossible to get?
and no Sonic Team cares about the consumers it's not all about the money. i mean they are Video games.

EvilNixon666
Mar 16, 2003, 02:39 PM
On 2003-03-15 18:13, Ryo_Hayasa wrote:
not to get everyone mad.
but how would Sonic team go about doing this?
isn't a BSOD/FSOD/Corruption free net impossible to get?
and no Sonic Team cares about the consumers it's not all about the money. i mean they are Video games.

I know that FSOD and BSOD are going to happen anyway, but why support a method that makes that more likely? As I stated before, this affects everyone, and since people are obviously still duping items (do a search for PSO rares on ebay), it makes no sense to leave it in the game.

Kupi
Mar 16, 2003, 06:27 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would much rather have a ruined item economy that a standing (or increased, in this case) threat to my characters' data.

As for starting over... I did that not too long ago. Level 104 FOmarl, level 71 FOnewm, and a level 50-something HUcast with nice (though not uber) rares on them, all gone. Though I did give away the rares that I had before I started over (anyone remember Kupi's Game Over givaway?) and I don't regret it a bit. The newb levels are the most fun, IMO. And I'm already preparing a recovery kit for just in case I get corrupted... some low-level techs of all sorts (though good enough to be a bonus) and a high Mind Mag, and possibly a material stockpile if I actually manage to max out on mat use. I recommend that course of action if you have a second memory card... four characters is already more than you need. I'm more than happy with one character. ^_^

2Xtreme
Mar 16, 2003, 06:39 PM
BlairFoxx, when the moderators lock your Topics, it doesn't mean that you should go around recreating them. They were locked for a reason.

RuneLateralus
Mar 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
The other one was locked because we do not need two topics unless it is deemed necessary...and this was not deemed so.

Mystil
Mar 16, 2003, 08:41 PM
On 2003-03-15 15:03, HaLLa wrote:
what is the double save?

When you join a game, it saves. When you materialize, it saves. This is the double save.

BlairFoxx
Mar 17, 2003, 06:48 PM
Eh, sorry about making two of them.

mistghost
Mar 17, 2003, 07:15 PM
Signed away. And with a small message, sometimes some things are best when said in as few words possible.

BlairFoxx
Mar 19, 2003, 11:24 AM
bump

BlairFoxx
Mar 23, 2003, 07:46 PM
more bump!

BlairFoxx
Mar 26, 2003, 01:37 AM
And again

RuneLateralus
Mar 26, 2003, 08:39 PM
You do not need to constantly bump the thread. If it ran its course, then it did. Sorry.