PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 I might get a PSP so I have some questions :)

chibipocky15
May 17, 2011, 07:08 PM
Okay, does the most recent version of the psp the one with the anlog stick, have built in wi-fi and iff not is there a adapter or something I can buy to connect to the internet throught it? Will I need a GUARDIANS license? If so how much? (If you dont know what a GUARDIANS license, is the Online FREE?) What is Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity? Is it an ADD-ON, and if it is, is it only in Japanese, does that make it harder to play? Is everything in Japanese? Or just the Add-On stuff.

Is a PSPGO also good? And is Ambition of Illuminus a add-on or game? On xbox it's a add-on but i don't think it add on to the story, only the online XD

NicorTheDuke
May 17, 2011, 07:15 PM
Psp2i is only in japanese (is a game that ties into th og psp2),the psp online is free,thats all i know but there is a infinity thread somewhere

the pspgo imo is fail,cant return a game if you dont like it..and im not a big fan of how it feels

chibipocky15
May 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
thank you, I hope some anwers beside you no affense ^^'

Alucard V
May 17, 2011, 07:30 PM
If you get a physical copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2 new it will come with a password for a the Little Wing license. So its pretty much comes with the game as long as you don't buy it used.

Shade_Koopa
May 17, 2011, 07:37 PM
Phantasy Star Portable 2 is in the USA; infinity is Japanese Only. You can buy the UMD of the game or download from PSN. All PSP/PSP go models have built in wi-fi and PSN is free.

Phantasy Star Universe and the Ambition of the Illumines Add-on are 360 Only games (used to be for PS2/PC before their servers shutdown).

chibipocky15
May 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you, are they still selling new copies of Phantasy Star Portable 2?

Alucard V
May 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you, are they still selling new copies of Phantasy Star Portable 2?

I'd like to say so, the games only about a year old. You may just have to check your local Game Stop and see for your self.

Ami
May 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
As far as I know there are still new copies of PSPo2. A lot of people prefer the digital copy you can purchase from the Playstation Store because of the small load times. That and once you finish downloading and installing the game, the code is already entered into your account. But seeing as the store function of PSN is still down, UMD is your best bet atm.

PSPo2i takes place after Portable 2 (which portable 2 takes place three years after ep.3 of PSU). The game itself includes PSPo2 story/content in addition to Infinity's story/content. Kinda like getting two games for the price of one (bad analogy I know). Unfortunately, PSPo2i is released in Japan only...so far. There has been no official word/announcement/hint/speckle of dust on Infinity getting an English release. and every time someone asks the announcement gets delayed a day .-. so to play Infinity you'll need a Jpn PSN account (which is also free) for online play and import a copy of Infinity.

Alucard V
May 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
I'd have to agree with Ami. But if Phantasy Star is your only reason for getting a PSP you might wanna put some more thought into it. I mean one of the great things about the PSP is the number of re-makes on it. Gitaroo man Lives, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Persona 3, the first two Star Ocean's (Witch I recommend) and countless Final Fantasy titles just to name a few.

chibipocky15
May 17, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'd have to agree with Ami. But if Phantasy Star is your only reason for getting a PSP you might wanna put some more thought into it. I mean one of the great things about the PSP is the number of re-makes on it. Gitaroo man Lives, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Persona 3, the first two Star Ocean's (With I recommend) and countless Final Fantasy titles just to name a few.

lol it's one oof the main reasons, and stuff but not the only reason lol ^^

GreenThunder
May 17, 2011, 09:42 PM
About the GO; it isn't as bad as some people would think. The d-pad on the other models is more of a friend to you because it's a lot easier to switch out weapons, items, or shield-weaves on the fly. Luckily, there're shortcuts for this since doing it on the GO is a little uncomfortable, and it works. Circle + R will rotate between weapons, while Circle + L rotates between items. About how comfortable it is to hold in your hand, and this is just me, but it feels a lot more comfortable to have in my hand than any of the other models, but it does take some time to get used to it. Games actually look a tad bit more colorful on it too, if you're one of the people interested in more vivid colors, and in addition to that, during gameplay when you press the PS button, you'll now see a pause feature, which is very handy in some cases. You can basically pause one game, it'll create like a sort of save state for you, and you can go about playing another game, but if you pause the new game, it'll overwrite the other's position.

The only real problem I have with the GO is the analog stick (not a big problem, just a bit smaller than the others, but it's still easy to use), and the digital only content. With the Playstation Store being down it's kind of hurting.

blace
May 17, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm just going to list some pros and cons of having a PSP Go:

-Certain games like Phantasy Star Portable, the first game, is only available on UMD.
-Built in blu tooth capability allowing you to use a headset if you're on Skype, etc.
-Vivid display, offering more in detail.
-Dependent on PSN, and since it's down, it's not looking bright for the console right now.
-Built in 16GB of memory, as opposed to the PSP's no memory stick upon purchase concept.
-Can add a memory stick, in case you download tons of games.
-Smaller size and smaller buttons, but not much of an issue.

The only thing bugging me the most is what I stated as the first con, certain games only being available for the past generation PSPs. Otherwise, it's not a big issue.

Personally, I find the game's story to be cheesy as hell, but I do like the option to play online, albeit with a bit of a risk of getting hacked. Lack of any DLC seen from the Japanese version, and most scenes from the game are just silent text, whereas the cutscenes will have some voice oversm which I think needs a bit of work as well.

Alucard V
May 18, 2011, 06:36 AM
lol it's one of the main reasons, and stuff but not the only reason lol ^^

Well that's good to know. But You still might wanna wait on getting a PSP with on that has happened to the PSN. At lest until they restore the PSN shop.

Mike
May 18, 2011, 07:06 AM
At lest until they restore the PSN shop.
With a Go, yes. With just a plain old PSP, you can still play offline.

Alucard V
May 18, 2011, 07:43 AM
With a Go, yes. With just a plain old PSP, you can still play offline.

PSPo2i takes place after Portable 2 (which portable 2 takes place three years after ep.3 of PSU). The game itself includes PSPo2 story/content in addition to Infinity's story/content. Kinda like getting two games for the price of one (bad analogy I know).

I'm just make sure we have the bases covered. That the playstation Network's been hit hard and still recovering so even downloading the Phantasy Star Portable 2 demo is out of the question(it's best to try it before buying it) and Infinity (the "better game") is still looming over head just out of reach here in the west.

All I'm trying to say is don't rush in a lot of people did it with PSPo2 when it hit the states and then SEGA drop a bomb shell and ever one here knows what I mean.

Mike
May 18, 2011, 07:54 AM
The Japanese demos are still available via the PC. And those are more or less the same thing the English demos were, only in Japanese.

Alucard V
May 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
Point taken. But tell me when SEGA made the Infinity announcement that your jaw didn't hit the floor just like eveyone else. It's like them saying "We know you just paid 40 bucks for this game but we made a better version with you'll never see."

I know that's how I feel. But it's still he's choice to make.

Ami
May 18, 2011, 10:17 AM
Point taken. But tell me when SEGA made the Infinity announcement that your jaw didn't hit the floor just like eveyone else. It's like them saying "We know you just paid 40 bucks for this game but we made a better version with you'll never see."

I know that's how I feel. But it's still he's choice to make.
Well to be fair, the game was a little over a year old before they made the announcement for Infinity. It wasn't like some of these others games that release a super duper mega GOLD DESU edition three months after the original got released.

Akaimizu
May 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yep. So we're a bit behind on all releases, so it's not like we had more PSP2 time than the Japanese had before Infinity launched. So we end up getting a lot of stuff to do at once, so they're free to delay Infinity until we're pretty much pushing the end game the Japanese had the previous year.

In some ways, due to the typical lack of western support, this actually helped a bit. Because we end up getting quite a few things at launch, which didn't happen for the Japanese until months into their release.

I would imagine when Infinity comes to the west, it'll launch with a number of post-release stuff from the Japanese version.

Alucard V
May 18, 2011, 12:23 PM
So the really question is buy PSPo2 of wait for Infinity witch may or may not come to the USA.
That what it really all comes down to.