PDA

View Full Version : Weapon types you could live w/o.

r00tabaga
May 28, 2011, 09:18 AM
I didn't hate whips but I could live without them. Lasers, crossbows & PSU-style mech guns too. I just preferred PSO's twin mechs better. So if they decided to remove a type, which would you choose? Have fun with this, absolutely no negative comments please.

Shinji Kazuya
May 28, 2011, 09:38 AM
I don't hate any type of weapon but, like you, I could go without some types of course. Whips and Longbows. Maybe Crossbows and R-Mags too.

RenzokukenZ
May 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
I could go without double sabers or slicers. They were the least type that I used in both PSO and PSU.

BIG OLAF
May 28, 2011, 10:41 AM
PSU-style grenades. I never found them particularly useful.

The PSP2/i grenades on the other hand...oh lord, yes please.

Soul Guardian
May 28, 2011, 10:51 AM
PSU's Tech-mags. I greatly dislike having techs bound to a weapon. If they remove that restriction in PSO 2, there's no reason these things should exist.

r00tabaga
May 28, 2011, 10:55 AM
PSU-style grenades. I never found them particularly useful.

The PSP2/i grenades on the other hand...oh lord, yes please.

Yeah the portable grenades were awesome. I extended the reol variant b/c of looks alone...and it could really clear a room!

Sord
May 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
Grenade launchers (PSU) and whips.

Alnet
May 28, 2011, 11:07 AM
Whips, Slicers, and R-Mags. Just about everything else I was able to make some use of regularly.

Actually, I did use Slicers and R-Mags as an Acrofighter, but that got old in a hurry.

landman
May 28, 2011, 11:44 AM
I've never enjoyed 2-hand swords.

Man I do love whips, this thread is sad to read :(

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
Double sabers.(Hate the way their long combos hold you in place too long)

Nade launchers.

Spears.(Feels like spears have been WAY too overpowered since PSU and I hate the way they look.)

2h swords(Always feel less useful than sabers because of slow they are, meanwhile spear stole all of it's best potential uses. I probably won't use them in PSO2 at all)

Axes(Felt like swords but slower and hit harder with shorter range)

blace
May 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
I can do without Tech Mags, R-Mags, and Crossbows. Never really used them or found them useful.

RemiusTA
May 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
Whips just seemed like SUCH an impossibly cool weapon. They really had no kind of feeling behind them whatsoever. Axes can go, unless they treat them differently in this game. (although the swords are huge as hell and they seem to have no problem using them, so i cant imagine how big axes would be.)

Spears were nice, but i'd like to see some real use for them. Partisans were far more fun to use.

Grenade Launchers....stick to secondary rifle fire. There doesn't need to be a weapon based on this.

Shotguns need to go bye bye in place of seeing the old Shot return. It was fun tagging everything in the room in one go.

PSU slicers need to be burned at the cross. Bring back the cool looking PSO slicers, please. (bounce from target to target, not just a bullet with a lame piercing trajectory)

Remove PSU cards. Bring back PSO cards. They were way cooler.

As a matter of fact....go ahead and bring all the cool weapons back to PSO status. Im talking Double Sabers, Mechguns, Twin Sabers and Cards. I liked the more realistic attack animations. They made me feel much more powerful. PSU TwinSaber animation wasnt bad, just not as cool IMO. PSU double sabers felt like i was twirling a stick though. PSO cards were just badass, nobody can argue. PSU mechguns were also horrible, everyone can agree. Lasers were pretty bad too.

Madoogs were horrible. MAGs should be in this game, and we shouldn't be technique binding to weapons anymore, so they really have no place.

I...really never saw the point in a single dagger. But why not, i guess...?

Bring PSU Fists back. There needs to be an unarmed animation, and then there needs to be the fists animation, because they were fun to use. Also, maybe one-up the idea and do some DMC4 gilgamesh stuff. (gaunlets and footwear for attacking with both hands and feet.)

Dongra
May 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
Remove PSU cards. Bring back PSO cards. They were way cooler.)
And far more useless. I'm okay with them coming back so long as they function well.

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'd like to see a video of PSO's cards. :0

But yeah PSU's cards felt...really lame...though I was expecting something more...gambit-like... add that to my "do not want" list.

Sord
May 28, 2011, 03:00 PM
Remove PSU cards. Bring back PSO cards. They were way cooler.

They were crap novelty weapons for forces in PSO, that's hardly cool. I liked the fact that PSUs cards were pretty legitimately useful at plenty of times even if their design was weird. To be fair, yeah, the fact we were throwing Gambit (http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m59/gsnaps187/gambit.jpg) esque-cards in PSO was cool, but functionally they were dumb as hell. As Dongra said, they would definitely have to make them better if brought back.

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2011, 03:09 PM
I just said gambit... D;

I say they can always combine cards and slicers...and just make a bunch of really different interesting designs to make up for both concept separately. kinda of like how PSU's scythes were swords and axes.

Sienna
May 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
PSU Grenades
PSU Double Sabers
PSO Cards
PSU Cards
PSO Shotguns
PSU Whips

Pretty much it.

Tetsaru
May 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
PSU's "cards" always looked more like fan weapons to me... I liked how they homed in on enemies and could hit multiple times, but for some reason, they just didn't seem all that useful.

PSU's bows also seemed redundant next to rifles. Seeing how they were mostly on techer classes, I think they would've been a lot more unique if they were based off of TP instead of ATP.

I didn't like PSU's swords either, despite loving PSO's swords. PSU's swords just seemed slow and clunky, and their PA's weren't all that great either (Gravity Break was probably the only one I liked, but it only hit one enemy; Tornado Break was useful, but there were tons of other PA's just like it; Spinning Break was just stupid, most flying enemies you could hit with other weapons anyway). If I wanted slow and clunky, I would've just used axes, and I hated using axes.

I thought PSU's grenade launchers were fun to use, but I didn't like their fixed range. If they're brought back in PSO2, I hope we can either aim the trajectory manually, or have some sort of targeting option.

PSO's spears seemed redundant next to swords, although I know they were pretty much used so that Rangers would have a similar but weaker melee option. I'm glad PSU made them more "stabbity" and less "slashy."

MAG's should be a combination of PSO's customization and PSU's ability to help attack enemies for you.

I'm all for tons of different weapon types, but they need to be unique and varied enough to warrant having in the first place.

Alnet
May 28, 2011, 07:20 PM
They were crap novelty weapons for forces in PSO, that's hardly cool. I liked the fact that PSUs cards were pretty legitimately useful at plenty of times even if their design was weird. To be fair, yeah, the fact we were throwing Gambit (http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m59/gsnaps187/gambit.jpg) esque-cards in PSO was cool, but functionally they were dumb as hell. As Dongra said, they would definitely have to make them better if brought back.
I thought I was the only one who thought that Cards in PSO were totally worthless in combat, so thanks for this. Every time I see people complaining about PSU's Cards being worse than PSO's Cards on these boards, I couldn't help but wonder if we'd been playing the same game.

ARASHIKAGE
May 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
I could live without Cards, Grenade Launchers, Whips, Twin Handguns, or pretty much any weapon that was redundant. A lot of weapons could have been combined into one type, but I understand they wanted every class to enjoy the same attack in a weaker or stronger way. Which of course lead to very unbalanced classes... oops

:rant: Oh and call me crazy but I wasn't a fan of PSU shotguns either. One enemy steps in front of you and it ruins your spray, it loses its ability to "crowd control". I don't care if it does a bunch of damage to one enemy that's not it's job! That's what single shot weapons are for! Now I'm running up to meet one enemy at a time, at point blank range with a RANGED SPREAD GUN! Yes I used PSU shotguns because they are very effect but it still doesn't make sense! Bring back my PSO Shots! :rant:

I really enjoyed Twin-handguns but they competed with rifles and it didn't make much sense. Same goes for the Bow(rifle group), Axe(sword group) and many others. Case in point the Holy Ray was close to the same as a Bow in PSO. If it's a two handed blade that strikes differently then the Special Attack would look different and the regular attack would look different, no need to turn them into another classification. Other case in point the agito sabers in PSO, they looked slightly different and had a different regular attack motion. But they were still in the saber class, because there wasn't a point to make a whole bunch of them and separate them. I could preach about uniqueness and what makes something special all day, but you get the idea... I've ran with that point many times on these threads. (Oh and the Victor Axe was a sword type in PSO)

Lasers should defiantly stay, Rangers need that mix to go from spread shot, shotgun, to straight shot through waves of enemies. Bring back the Guilty Light and Snow Queen!! :-D

EDIT: T-mags R-mags should defiantly go but I'd like to see them incorporate there little powers onto PSO mags. This was mentioned in another thread, but MAGs that we raise with high MST would gain different tech attack that they would use on our foes. I'm still open to the idea of something shooting lasers off my shoulder, It makes me feel like the Predator!

NoiseHERO
May 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
Maybe an enemy getting hit with more than one shotgun bullet getting sent flying would've made shotguns less suicidal.

I also hope they make handguns more useful alone. Take out that "single hand weapons suck when used alone" idea PSU forced on us...

ARASHIKAGE
May 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
I also hope they make handguns more useful alone. Take out that "single hand weapons suck when used alone" idea PSU forced on us...

I surely agree with you there. I remember when Vol Opt dropped me a Ruby Bullet, at the time I had it it out damaged my rifles it was so cool.

Alnet
May 28, 2011, 09:40 PM
If they're including PSU's dual-wielding system, it'd be nice if they made it so that single-hand weapons got a bonus when used alone. I mean, if I don't have a weapon in my other hand, why can't I just hold the handgun with both hands and gain an accuracy boost or something? It never made sense to me. Same thing with some melee weapons like sabers. Not so much with single-hand knives, though.

Kent
May 28, 2011, 10:23 PM
Cards in PSO were actually pretty good weapons for a FOmar. At least, the Talis/Mahu were, because at the point at which you can get them, your other options either require super-rare units and an unsuitably-specialized MAG to equip them, or you're simply not at a point where they can be found (or anything you can have found could really trade for them).

Particularly, their usefulness came in due to the fact that they were functional and effective as both a ranged and melee weapon. At range, they can hit multiple targets with the third attack of a combo (which throws three cards - one straight forward, one to each side), while in melee, these two extra cards can easily hit the same target. Combine this with a somewhat-fast attack speed and low post-combo recovery time, as well as decent stats for damage-dealing, and you actually have some pretty good weapons on your hands.

Find some with hit% on them, and you're actually pretty well-off for a while, including the Extra Attack on them (which recovers TP when you hit with it). I'm guessing most people who insist they were poor weapons probably never bothered to give them a real try on a character that could use them, but was designed not just for being a pure caster.

Zyrusticae
May 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
...absolutely no negative comments please.

You say, when the topic itself is inherently negative... :-?

Dongra
May 28, 2011, 11:21 PM
Cards in PSO were actually pretty good weapons for a FOmar. At least, the Talis/Mahu were, because at the point at which you can get them, your other options either require super-rare units and an unsuitably-specialized MAG to equip them, or you're simply not at a point where they can be found (or anything you can have found could really trade for them).

Particularly, their usefulness came in due to the fact that they were functional and effective as both a ranged and melee weapon. At range, they can hit multiple targets with the third attack of a combo (which throws three cards - one straight forward, one to each side), while in melee, these two extra cards can easily hit the same target. Combine this with a somewhat-fast attack speed and low post-combo recovery time, as well as decent stats for damage-dealing, and you actually have some pretty good weapons on your hands.

Find some with hit% on them, and you're actually pretty well-off for a while, including the Extra Attack on them (which recovers TP when you hit with it). I'm guessing most people who insist they were poor weapons probably never bothered to give them a real try on a character that could use them, but was designed not just for being a pure caster.
I think you need a refresher when it comes to card weapons in PSO. Talis and Mahu were both useless weapons. Card type weapons for the most part were useless even on a FOmar. Most of the time you could only hit one enemy and you had no control over the angle of the third strike so you usually ended up hitting one enemy anyway. Only two card weapons come to mind that can be marginally useful and those are Guardianna and Gal Wind. Cards were only useful for Gal Gryphon and the Dragon since they had infinite vertical range allowing you to hit them when they are flying.

Miyoko
May 29, 2011, 01:32 AM
LASERS, crossbows & PSU-style mech guns too.

How could you not like Lasers? They were incredible weapons D: Definitely one of my favourite.

You've NO idea how pissed I was when I found out they ruined them in PSP2 with that god damned stupid auto targeting dshagsdf WHY!?

blace
May 29, 2011, 02:33 AM
How could you not like Lasers? They were incredible weapons D: Definitely one of my favourite.

You've NO idea how pissed I was when I found out they ruined them in PSP2 with that god damned stupid auto targeting dshagsdf WHY!?
Lasers got miffed, but I did like PSP2i's CSII version of it, of course, if the enemies were close enough that is. I kinda do want to see how 'if' they'll change something about it if they had the chance.

Edit: I've always liked how big the bullets get when charged up.

[spoiler-box]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1474&pictureid=18745[/spoiler-box]

I also wonder if they'll do something about weapons that look like one thing, but does something completely different:
[spoiler-box]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1543&pictureid=19808
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1543&pictureid=19807
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1530&pictureid=19803 [/spoiler-box]

I just want a weapon that looks like what it's supposed to be used for AND be can be used as the other aspect of it. In this case a saber that acts only as a crossbow. Sega stop using the same models and rework them as something else, at least give it some dual functionality.

NoiseHERO
May 29, 2011, 09:21 AM
^ Hah? they turned PSZ's gunblades into handguns? That's ghetto.

RemiusTA
May 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
I thought I was the only one who thought that Cards in PSO were totally worthless in combat, so thanks for this. Every time I see people complaining about PSU's Cards being worse than PSO's Cards on these boards, I couldn't help but wonder if we'd been playing the same game.

If we were talking about their functionality, then this should be a completely differnet conversation. Of course, im assuming any weapon that returns gets a balance that makes them useful. Notice i was talking about the form of the weapon, not so much how useful they are. Plenty of weapons in both series were useless.

PSU cards were equally as worthless, IMO. I use them only because they looked cool. Same with PSO cards.

r00tabaga
May 29, 2011, 02:22 PM
If we were talking about their functionality, then this should be a completely differnet conversation. Of course, im assuming any weapon that returns gets a balance that makes them useful. Notice i was talking about the form of the weapon, not so much how useful they are.

PSU cards were equally as worthless, IMO. I use them only because they looked cool. Same with PSO cards.

I don't use cards a bunch per se, but those are ones that I would really hate to see removed. They're kinda unique to the series.

Alnet
May 29, 2011, 03:28 PM
If we were talking about their functionality, then this should be a completely differnet conversation. Of course, im assuming any weapon that returns gets a balance that makes them useful. Notice i was talking about the form of the weapon, not so much how useful they are.
Oh. Well, then, yeah, PSO Cards are much better aesthetically because they actually look like cards. Pretty sure that they wanted to make PSU Cards as a type resemble Guardianna or something like that.

Plenty of weapons in both series were useless.
Amen. As much as I enjoy the wide variety of weapons we can use in PSO and PSU, it's a shame that whole types were constrained to near-worthlessness. PSO Cards have weird hitboxes, PSU Swords are too slow, PSU Rods beat all other Teching weapons, PSO Slicers do jack, and so on. It's the kind of thing that really should apply to individual weapons, especially considering how many joke weapons there are. It's ironic when a joke weapon and an ultimate weapon in the same class are equally useful. That is a joke.

RemiusTA
May 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah. I blame PSU's problem on Photon Arts, and i guess i blame PSO's problem on...well, the weapons just wern't that useful.

It was a pity PSU swords were so lame, though. I'd say they were my favorite weapon class. Kan Yu and Cresaud were just so purty.

r00tabaga
May 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
You say, when the topic itself is inherently negative... :-?

I think, for the sake of argument, that there were other threads asking what weapons you wanted returned from PSU or PSO so I thought I'd put a spin on that. Instead of listing 10-12 weapon types we CAN'T live w/o, it was just easier and shorter to do the opposite.

Sol_Vent
May 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
I would personally be disappointed if slicers got removed, they're kinda unique and conceptually really cool. Plus, aerial slicer combos? YES!

I never used swords in any game, but they're kind of a staple I guess... Hmm... To be honest, I think I could do without sabers. They're quite vanilla, you know?

NoiseHERO
May 29, 2011, 08:24 PM
I would personally be disappointed if slicers got removed, they're kinda unique and conceptually really cool. Plus, aerial slicer combos? YES!

I never used swords in any game, but they're kind of a staple I guess... Hmm... To be honest, I think I could do without sabers. They're quite vanilla, you know?

I never thought of that, slicer air combos does sound pretty badass. : O

In fact when thinking of the weapons from past games... I was never thinking of our new actual gameplay at all...

I can imagine a lot of weapons becoming way more interesting...

RemiusTA
May 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
I'll admit, with the new system of fighting, i think Slicer combos would be pretty epic to see.

That's even assuming all weapons will have retarded combos like the sword in that trailer did. Slicers always seemed like a situational weapon at heart to me anyway. Like, they were meant to be that way.

McLaughlin
May 30, 2011, 02:19 PM
Axes, Whips, and Slicers.

Nitro Vordex
May 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
The saber is like a staple for pretty much any rpg. Some kind of one handed sword and one handed sword user seems to be in every game, I can't really agree with them being gone.

On a really off topic note, sabers could have a little difference in them by like having an option to choose how you wield them. I'm thinking along the lines of the way Bloody Art looked in PSO. To me, it never really looked like a dagger more than it did holding two sabers upside down. I think it'd be kinda cool to have some twin sabers wielded like that.

Slicer would not make me sad if they were gone, but only because some of them were highly situational. As a HUmar or as a FOmar, I actually would use the Diska of Braveman for it's Berserk on bosses. Usually worked pretty well, especially in the hands of a RAmar, though of course you could be using a shot.

Lady Nadia
May 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
ive done challenge mode so many times, even tho not the most powerful of weps ive used sabers so much i quite enjoy them. i prefer katanas a bit more especially the orotiagito fun for fast forest xp raids, claws are what drive me nuts.... goofy animation n overall i just cant stomach em... slicers culd have been good if they made a good one... the multi hit on em is kinda fun but theres absolutely no slicer with ne kinda oomph at all. but overall my hatred towards claws is gonna take the cake me thinks.

RemiusTA
May 30, 2011, 09:00 PM
The point of the weapon classes is that they're all meant to be suited for a specific situation. Sabers aren't useless because they're generally stronger than any of the other weapons because they only hit 1 target, and they were fast.

At least, this happened on PSO anyway. On PSU, EVERYTHING was thrown to wack thanks to Photon Arts.

pionear
Jun 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
I kinda like them all but I never really used Whips...But I didn't mind them in b/c they are part of the Phantasy Star lore.

Also, Cards were pretty useless as well, IMO.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 3, 2011, 05:09 PM
Man, whips were my favorite weapons in PSU.

I could do without crossbows.

Jason
Jun 3, 2011, 07:31 PM
PSO Claws.

psofan219
Jun 3, 2011, 08:50 PM
All weapons not named Excalibur :P

But in seriousness, the weapon types I can live without are:
1. Claws
2. Slicers
3. Lasers
4. Bazookas
5. Canes
6. Cards

darkepyonuk
Jun 4, 2011, 08:56 PM
i can live without cards, i nahve never used em, tbf i thought id never use whips but got ouroborus and started usin it but cars? pfft what a waste of space "/

Hrith
Jul 9, 2011, 03:44 PM
PSU's Tech-mags. I greatly dislike having techs bound to a weapon. If they remove that restriction in PSO 2, there's no reason these things should exist.I agree that being able to use technics with any weapon equipped was what made forces and hybrids so good in PSO and binding technics to weapons was what killed the same classes in PSU, but I would highly disagree with being able to use Force weapons in melee combat like you were able to use canes, wands and rods as melee weapons in PSO, it was the most pointless thing ever >_>

Vashyron
Jul 9, 2011, 04:19 PM
I agree that being able to use technics with any weapon equipped was what made forces and hybrids so good in PSO and binding technics to weapons was what killed the same classes in PSU, but I would highly disagree with being able to use Force weapons in melee combat like you were able to use canes, wands and rods as melee weapons in PSO, it was the most pointless thing ever >_>

Pointless the majority of time, but nice to have the option.

Though yes, I would very much like to see Techs not bound to weapons, that way you have much more options while playing a Force Hybrid.

Hrith
Jul 9, 2011, 04:21 PM
It's nice to have the option, but it's nicer to have a better option, and anything would be better in this case. This is not the topic, though ;s

Angelo
Jul 9, 2011, 06:30 PM
Could live without the PSU versions of mags.

To be honest I hope each weapon has some nice utility to it. I really hope that PSO2 doesn't have a 'weapon pallet'. Maybe a main weapon and a secondary weapon you can switch between, but I really did not like having to switch my weapon all the time and having to deal with elemental shit.

Demon-
Jul 10, 2011, 02:31 AM
I don't know I kind of liked them all really but if I had to choose I'd say cards because I hardly ever used them. Although in PSU they were a huge improvement over the ones in PSO, I just always preferred to use something else.

Hrith
Jul 10, 2011, 06:09 AM
To be honest I hope each weapon has some nice utility to it. I really hope that PSO2 doesn't have a 'weapon pallet'. Maybe a main weapon and a secondary weapon you can switch between, but I really did not like having to switch my weapon all the time and having to deal with elemental shit.There has to be a good balance of things, here.
I can agree (even though I liked it a lot) that swapping weapons to match the elements of the enemies could get tiring or tedious, but in PSO, carrying one weapon was enough to kill 95% of the enemies in any given mission...

Alisha
Jul 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
I agree that being able to use technics with any weapon equipped was what made forces and hybrids so good in PSO and binding technics to weapons was what killed the same classes in PSU, but I would highly disagree with being able to use Force weapons in melee combat like you were able to use canes, wands and rods as melee weapons in PSO, it was the most pointless thing ever >_>

incorrect some weapons like psycho wand had pretty decent atp. fomarls had the best rod combo wich was quite fitting. plus there was stuff like battle verge(hp halver)

a weapon i could do without is psu style spears. maybe axes too. they could just combine axes and swords into 1 weapon category.

Zyrusticae
Jul 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
a weapon i could do without is psu style spears. maybe axes too. they could just combine axes and swords into 1 weapon category.
Man what?

Do you guys ever think these things through?

I mean, really? To have only one two-handed weapon in the entire game?

I'm glad you guys aren't the designers. ^^;

RemiusTA
Jul 10, 2011, 09:09 AM
Man what?

Do you guys ever think these things through?

I mean, really? To have only one two-handed weapon in the entire game?

I'm glad you guys aren't the designers. ^^;

Well obviously if you remove one, you can replace it with another. Why would we just be randomly removing weapon classes? Honestly, i wouldn't mind seeing one-handed weapons go. Handguns and Sabers are 2-handed weapons to begin with. You'll never see any real trained person firing a handgun with a single hand, it just looks retarded in PSO IMO. He just flails the sabers and guns around in his hand with no real power behind anything. Ramarl excluded for obvious reasons.

PSU weapons felt weak at times because of how they animated them. I believe weapons like Swords and some Spear PAs were animated rather well, but for the most part, some weapons like Sabers felt like i was waving a stick around in my backyard or something. PSP2 did a nice job sort of fixing that though.

Yeah, i disliked spears. They kind of felt lost because there was really nothing special about them. Axes...well, they didn't feel like axes.

Whips as well. Completely unnecessary imo. If they keep them, they should become another "special" weapon category like PSO Cards.

Speaking of PSO cards, i hated the PSU ones. The PSO ones were useless, but looked so fun to use (and run with, if i remember the animation correctly).

Sabers and Handguns need to be wielded with 2 hands once again, please. Their one-handed animations are lame. In real life, you'd get more power with a 2-handed saber and more accuracy with a 2-handed handgun. Nobody ever had an issue using quickmenu -> weapon switch to go from melee to ranged in PSO.

I'd like to see Shotguns be removed in place of the original PSO styled Shot.

Katana's need their own animation again.

I'd like to see the inclusion of a true Rapier Class weapon. Pure speed, precision and agility.

Inclusion of an "Odachi" class weapon -- that is, a Giant Katana. (Tsumikiri J-Sword was seemingly one of these, along with the Agito Replica.)

More force class weapons, even if just mostly for looks like in PSO. Also, i want to see the Fonewem get his pimp cane animations back for casting magic. They were great.

Wayu
Jul 10, 2011, 09:21 AM
The J-Sword and Agito aren't odachi, FYI. ^^; They're zanbato.

A.K.A. horseslayer swords - giant wide katana designed to eliminate cavalry.

-Wayu

RemiusTA
Jul 10, 2011, 09:40 AM
A Zanbato (斬馬刀 Zanbatō? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Installing_Japanese_character_sets), literally "horse-slaying sword" or "horse-chopping saber") is an especially large type of Japanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan) sword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword), the historical use of which is disputed. The sword closely resembles the Nodachi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodachi) or ōdachi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odachi), however it differs from the Nodachi by having a ricasso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricasso) of approximately 12 to 18 inches (30-45 cm). This lends more credence to the theory of the sword having a practical use in feudal Japan.

Oh. Fair enough :D

Pillan
Jul 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
I would probably have to go with claws, in both single and twin variants. Besides looking cool, they did not add anything to any of the games that was not already done between daggers, sabers, and knuckles.

A second would be Madoogs/Tech Mags if they unlink techs from weapons. Their only real purpose was being able to cast with a dagger (or being unable to equip rods) and if you can cast with daggers, it becomes useless.

And the final would be crossbows, as no one ever used the three shots to do anything but point blank shot a single close enemy. It would be far better to just improve PSU machineguns so they could be used for that (i.e., cut the ridiculous drain for such low damage).

Zyrusticae
Jul 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
I would immediately quit if they took out axes. Just sayin'.

Spears, on the other hand... well, if they're replaced by scythes or partisans, I'm game.

Pillan
Jul 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
Personally, I hated PSO's partisans because they were a faster, more accurate version of swords. And who wants to use the slow version that gets the occasional zeros when you can just strong attack with a scythe?

If I were to choose one, I would keep swords since partisans look more like they should be used with the spear animation and scythes can just share the sword animations, as they do in PSU/P2. And then just make sword statistics more like PSO's partisans.

Angelo
Jul 10, 2011, 01:50 PM
There has to be a good balance of things, here.
I can agree (even though I liked it a lot) that swapping weapons to match the elements of the enemies could get tiring or tedious, but in PSO, carrying one weapon was enough to kill 95% of the enemies in any given mission...

I agree that weapon switching should still be in, but it should be more streamlined. Maybe have people specialize in an element so you're encouraged to team or something. Maybe a palette that looks something like

[______]
[__][__]

So you have a slot for a 2-hander and then two slots for one-handed weapons.

I dunno, I'd just like to see the game more streamlined.

h2olight
Jul 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
Double sabers.(Hate the way their long combos hold you in place too long)

Nade launchers.

Spears.(Feels like spears have been WAY too overpowered since PSU and I hate the way they look.)

2h swords(Always feel less useful than sabers because of slow they are, meanwhile spear stole all of it's best potential uses. I probably won't use them in PSO2 at all)

Axes(Felt like swords but slower and hit harder with shorter range)

Where my 2h weapons at? :confused:

•Col•
Jul 10, 2011, 02:33 PM
I agree that weapon switching should still be in, but it should be more streamlined. Maybe have people specialize in an element so you're encouraged to team or something. Maybe a palette that looks something like

[______]
[__][__]

So you have a slot for a 2-hander and then two slots for one-handed weapons.

I dunno, I'd just like to see the game more streamlined.

If anything, I'd MUCH prefer it to be at least

[______]
[__][__]
[__][__]

Then let us mix/match the single handed weapons to form different combinations. Also, give a boost in stats or something for using 1 single handed weapon. There was absolutely no reason to do so in PSU, and it annoyed me.

Wayu
Jul 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
Anything that isn't a saber, dagger, rifle, sword, handgun, or rod I can live without.

-Wayu

moorebounce
Jul 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
I can live w/o weapons outside of cannons/launchers that don't combo.

Darki
Jul 10, 2011, 04:42 PM
I could live without rifles, rods, sabers and handguns, most boring weapons I've ever tried.

PhotonDrop
Jul 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
I could live without weapons.

Zyrusticae
Jul 10, 2011, 04:56 PM
I could live without you.

Hrith
Jul 10, 2011, 05:02 PM
incorrect some weapons like psycho wand had pretty decent atp. fomarls had the best rod combo wich was quite fitting. plus there was stuff like battle verge(hp halver)wat

First of all, using a 12-star weapon rare as hell as an argument makes it invalid. Secondly, FOmar had a much better attack animation. Thirdly, and not the least, even if some rare Force weapons could give barely average results when used in melee combat (as opposed to atrociously poor results, as was the case with all other Force weapons), Forces could simply use Hunter weapons (Red Saber, Red Slicer, Ancient Saber, Morning Glory, Flight Fan, Madam's Parasol, Madam's Umbrella, Soul Eater, Soul Banish, S-Rank Saber, S-Rank Axe, S-Rank Twin, S-Rank Slicer, Excalibur, Vivienne) for much, much, MUCH better results.

There are not many options, here: either make Force weapons powerful enough to rival Hunter weapons (stupid), or prevent Forces from using any Hunter weapon (kills melee Force classes), or make Force weapons do useful stuff instead of meleeing (refilling TP/PP, boost spells or elements, cast mid/high-level spells for free, etc.).

The J-Sword and Agito aren't odachi, FYI. ^^; They're zanbato.Since I know you can read Japanese:

http://keffypoo.free.fr/pso/kefka/tsumikiri0.png

It does read Huuin Nodachi, not Zanbatou.
The Zanba sword (http://keffypoo.free.fr/pso/kefka/zanba.png) was a zanbatou, most obviously.

As for the other katana weapons (Agito, Sange, Yasha, Yamigarasu), they were all regular small katanas, whereas Kamui was a short blade.

iBaylin
Jul 10, 2011, 05:17 PM
There's a few I could do without but the main would have to me RCSMs.

Alisha
Jul 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
wat

First of all, using a 12-star weapon rare as hell as an argument makes it invalid. Secondly, FOmar had a much better attack animation. Thirdly, and not the least, even if some rare Force weapons could give barely average results when used in melee combat (as opposed to atrociously poor results, as was the case with all other Force weapons), Forces could simply use Hunter weapons (Red Saber, Red Slicer, Ancient Saber, Morning Glory, Flight Fan, Madam's Parasol, Madam's Umbrella, Soul Eater, Soul Banish, S-Rank Saber, S-Rank Axe, S-Rank Twin, S-Rank Slicer, Excalibur, Vivienne) for much, much, MUCH better results.

There are not many options, here: either make Force weapons powerful enough to rival Hunter weapons (stupid), or prevent Forces from using any Hunter weapon (kills melee Force classes), or make Force weapons do useful stuff instead of meleeing (refilling TP/PP, boost spells or elements, cast mid/high-level spells for free, etc.).

Since I know you can read Japanese:

The Zanba sword (http://keffypoo.free.fr/pso/kefka/zanba.png) was a zanbatou, most obviously.

As for the other katana weapons (Agito, Sange, Yasha, Yamigarasu), they were all regular small katanas, whereas Kamui was a short blade.

what are you talking about fomarl had by far the best rod combo it had range and speed. also i'm not stupid i was one of the original melee Fo's back on pso ver1 dc. back then i was rocking pan arms blades double sabers and soul eater.

Angelo
Jul 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
Also, give a boost in stats or something for using 1 single handed weapon. There was absolutely no reason to do so in PSU, and it annoyed me.

This x a billion.

PhotonDrop
Jul 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
I could live without you.

Tell me how am I supposed to live without you? [/MICHAEL BOLTON]

Tetsaru
Jul 10, 2011, 05:35 PM

I agree with this. I guess one solution (although I'm sure some people will disagree with me on this) would be to make certain weapons exclusive to certain classes or jobs. I know there were a few of these here and there, but from what I remember, a lot of them were race or gender specific instead; I'm talking strictly JOB-specific. Sure, Hunters and Rangers can both use sabers and handguns, but Hunters should have a few exclusive saber weapons for themselves, and Rangers should have a few exclusive handguns. At the same time, certain jobs might have access to very specialized weapons, such as a Hunter that could equip a rifle weapon, BUT it would have less range, power, and accuracy than a Ranger's rifle, but MORE range, power, and accuracy than say, most handgun weapons that Hunter could use. Or say, allow a Hunter to use a weapon made for Rangers, but put certain penalties behind it if they do. Not enough to make a class overpowered or underpowered, but just enough to blur the line a bit.

Either that, or put different stat or level requirements on items in order to equip them. For example, PSO's Elysion saber, from what I remember, had an MST requirement instead of an ATP requirement. Or, make it to where certain items require MULTIPLE stat requirements, like 250 ATP and 200 TP, and then give them very unique perks or abilities. I think this would help suggest that certain items are meant for certain jobs, and would also give "hybrid" jobs or characters who want to be able to multitask something fairly unique to use. At the same time, I think more specialized jobs would also be able to use them if they really wanted to, but most likely at a much later level because their stats aren't geared as well to fit the multiple requirements. Or, if we can distribute stats ourselves in PSO2, as well as have customizable MAG's again, then people could use those to their advantage too.

Pillan
Jul 10, 2011, 05:46 PM

Honestly, I have to say I am for option one - make Force weapons rival Hunter. I would rather go by something like PSZ's system where Force weapons do TP based damage but suffer from slower animations and dying in one Go Vahra slap.

Who cares if they could relatively rival Hunter in damage if they do not have the HP/EVP to keep it consistent? And if they manage to get good at blocking/dodging and make a good short range Force, more power to them.

RemiusTA
Jul 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah, PSO's swords were kind of annoying at times. Nobody wants to swing a giant sword and miss an entire mob.

But partisans looked cool. I'll admit though, they were the least interestingly animated weapon in the whole game. I never really used them.

Wayu
Jul 10, 2011, 10:14 PM

This is a nodachi:
http://www.swordhq.com/images/catalog/88BN_main.jpg

And this is the "Nodachi":
http://www.ragol.co.uk/uploads/item_images/nodachi.jpg

Quoting Remuista:

A Zanbato (斬馬刀 Zanbatō?, literally "horse-slaying sword" or "horse-chopping saber") is an especially large type of Japanese sword, the historical use of which is disputed. The sword closely resembles the Nodachi or ōdachi, however it differs from the Nodachi by having a ricasso of approximately 12 to 18 inches (30-45 cm). This lends more credence to the theory of the sword having a practical use in feudal Japan.
Oh. Fair enough

Here's a zanbato:
http://img2.lln.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/09252008/5/f/f/e/5ffe8b97377b60_full.jpg
It's hard to tell but there's an unsharpened part of the sword near the hilt.

And if you don't know, I myself use katanas. I can recognize something that I swing around on a daily basis, thank you very much. >.>

Games aren't always right.

-Wayu

Darki
Jul 11, 2011, 03:35 AM
Honestly, I have to say I am for option one - make Force weapons rival Hunter. I would rather go by something like PSZ's system where Force weapons do TP based damage but suffer from slower animations and dying in one Go Vahra slap.

Who cares if they could relatively rival Hunter in damage if they do not have the HP/EVP to keep it consistent? And if they manage to get good at blocking/dodging and make a good short range Force, more power to them.

I don't understand why a force weapon should do melee attacks as a "base" attack.

People has been complaining for example that they should make ranged weapons to do nprmal shots without using TP, and I understand, but sorry, for me having force weapons do melee attacks is like saying that guns should use TP when shooting and the normal attack should be to smash someone with the weapon -not too logic, I think-.

While I understand to certain degree that people didn't like techs chained to weapons in PSU, I don't think why was that THAT bad. They're weapons supposedly used to DO MAGIC. I would prefer that magic weapons had some default, non-elemental (or based on the weapon's element) weak magic attack that didn't cost TP and even refilled the TP bar a bit rather than smashing someone on the head with a cane.

If you wanna do magic properly you should be encouraged to use magic weapons, and if you wanna do melee, melee weapons. If you wanna use magic while wielding any other kind of weapon there should be a noticeable drawback for it, that would account for the versatility of having both types of attack aviable.

that said, if they took back the dual wielding feature, it would be possible to use a wand and a saber together, or some other possible combinations, and the penalties could be lowered a bit.

Alisha
Jul 11, 2011, 07:23 AM
the problem there is where it concerns fomarls and fomars the hybrid fo's. though in pso terms i think only fomars were hybrid fos and fomarls were more like D&D style clerics.

The cleric is one of the standard playable character class in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game.[1] In the game, clerics are versatile figures, both capable in combat and skilled in the use of divine magic. Clerics are powerful healers due to the large number of healing and curative magics available to them. With divinely-granted abilities over life or death, they are also able to repel or control undead creatures. Whether the cleric repels or controls undead is dependent on its alignment. It is the only class to be in every version of Dungeons & Dragons without a name change.

maybe make a weapon type that factors atp and mst? but that might not work if fonewm/fonewearl tp is high enough to make up the difference. another route you could go is to give them an equipable skill that enhances the effect of their buffs on themselves.

Hrith
Jul 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
Here's a zanbato:
http://img2.lln.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/09252008/5/f/f/e/5ffe8b97377b60_full.jpgYou do realise the text in French says 'this is a nodachi'.

Zanbatou swords are much wider (and heavier) than nodachi swords (and usually shorter, too, because such broad swords would be unbalanced and too heavy if they were too long).

The picture you chose to use shows a nodachi in its scabbard, so it's bound to appear bigger. the Sin Cutter looks like this:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/BB-TSUMIKIRI_J-SWORD-ACTION-1.jpg

So no, it's not a zanbatou.

Wayu
Jul 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
The Sin Cutter? We're talking about the Sealed Nodachi here...and there's no scabbard anywhere.

I don't read French. I can't find any images of traditional zanbato - all Naruto and Bleach stuff. It's the closest I could find without it being utterly flamboyant and just...not.

-Wayu

PhotonDrop
Jul 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
The Sin Cutter? We're talking about the Sealed Nodachi here...and there's no scabbard anywhere.

The big black mass covering the sword in the screenshot you posted is the scabbard.

Wayu
Jul 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong - in PSP2i the Sealed Nodachi looks just like the second screenshot I posted. I haven't unsealed the sword in either PSO or PSP2i so I don't know what it looks like then.

If this "Sin Cutter" is the unsealed J-Sword then yes, it is a nodachi but from how it looks in PSP2i and in the second screenshot it's definitely not.

-Wayu

PhotonDrop
Jul 11, 2011, 11:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong - in PSP2i the Sealed Nodachi looks just like the second screenshot I posted. I haven't unsealed the sword in either PSO or PSP2i so I don't know what it looks like then.

If this "Sin Cutter" is the unsealed J-Sword then yes, it is a nodachi but from how it looks in PSP2i and in the second screenshot it's definitely not.

-Wayu

Yes, that is what the sword will look like unsealed. It's "sealed" because it can't be removed from the scabbard.

Wayu
Jul 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
o.0

In that case yeah, it's a nodachi. I thought the black part was the blade. >.<

But that means the PSP2i Nodachi is different from the PSO one. Hm.

-Wayu

RemiusTA
Jul 11, 2011, 02:29 PM
At least i learned alot about swords today.

Darki
Jul 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
the problem there is where it concerns fomarls and fomars the hybrid fo's. though in pso terms i think only fomars were hybrid fos and fomarls were more like D&D style clerics.

maybe make a weapon type that factors atp and mst? but that might not work if fonewm/fonewearl tp is high enough to make up the difference. another route you could go is to give them an equipable skill that enhances the effect of their buffs on themselves.

Problem is that in most games, the "hybrid" melee/magic character is usually not that, but the hybrid melee/healer. In my case, for example, I don't want a Hunter w/ Resta, I want a Hunter that can nuke things with spells.

yoshiblue
Jul 11, 2011, 04:20 PM
Meh, I only know European swords. Only asian sword I know is just the katana. Not sure if the ninjato counts. How tragic.

Anywho, I wish to see more European base swords in Phantasy Star games

RemiusTA
Jul 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
Samurai are cool, but Fencing is such a cooler looking sword fighting style.

Well, if you compare real life techniques to real life techniques. Anime samurai don't count.

Hrith
Jul 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
o.0

In that case yeah, it's a nodachi. I thought the black part was the blade. >.<

But that means the PSP2i Nodachi is different from the PSO one. Hm.

-WayuI am French :)

I'm sorry, I thought you knew the part where the Sealed J-Sword turns into the Tsumikiri J-Sword (which I dubbed Sin Cutter, because, well, that's what it means >_>), and what PD explained. I understand why you thought it was a zanbatou, now :P

yoshiblue
Jul 12, 2011, 04:30 PM
Samurai are cool, but Fencing is such a cooler looking sword fighting style.

Well, if you compare real life techniques to real life techniques. Anime samurai don't count.

Well Fencing is stab and/or parry right? Were as say Kendo is more slash based and your taught to resist stabbing. Would be a tough battle depending on how skill each other are.

RemiusTA
Jul 12, 2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah i dont know much about them to decide a winner. I dont think it would be smart to try to block a slash from a samurai sword seeing as they're probably much heavier. But then again, i hear that stabs are difficult to parry with other swords, and a range difference is a great advantage to have in battle.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jul 16, 2011, 03:24 PM
Those fist weapons with the blades. Kinda seemed to me like there were always better weapons.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jul 20, 2011, 10:28 PM
This is a pretty hard question. I don't really have that much dislike toward any of the weapons. However, some weapons do come to mind upon reflecting about PSO/PSU:

-PSU Cards. They don't seem much like cards at all. If they wish to re-instate cards, they should split the difference between the PSO and PSU versions; Have cards be a weapon that fire magic missiles at the target, but instead of it being a rod/fan/etc. that fires blades, have the user throw the cards themselves at the target and use magic/TECH power to psychically control them. They could deal neutral MST-based damage (perhaps to provide an alternative to Elemental Rock Paper Scissors) or elemental damage. It'd be kinda like wanding in World of Warcraft.

-PSO Wands and PSO Canes. I dunno, they both seem exactly the same to me. Either combine them into one weapon type like PSU did or further differentiate them.

-PSO Shots. I prefer PSU's Shotguns over these.

-PSU Machineguns. I liked Mechguns a lot better.

Lunar_Furor
Jul 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
Just give me everything from PSO lol the same way pso did it

Vashyron
Jul 25, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just give me everything from PSO lol the same way pso did it

In that case you'll save time and disappointment by going and playing PSO instead.

Lucky 777
Jul 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Here what need to go to me

PSU Slicers: Yuck! These are useless and pointless when the fun part is removed. Please restore them to their enemy ricocheting PSO glory.

PSU Cards: More useful than PSO's but they ARE NOT cards. I love the PSO Cards but they need to be upgraded before they return. Whoever said they should do non-elemental MST based damage when thrown is right. Besides forces don't have many unique weapon classes and probably won't for PSO2. Bottom line the PSU card on a stick is more functional but looks too stupid for me to like.

Axes: WAY too slow for me when swords, spears and knuckles are around.

Ecchi
Jul 27, 2011, 12:14 AM
Make rare weapons rare again an Iam game.

Hrith
Jul 27, 2011, 07:33 AM
PSU Slicers: Yuck! These are useless and pointless when the fun part is removed. Please restore them to their enemy ricocheting PSO glory.Indeed. I hope that if we see slicers, they will be as fun and effective as they were in PSO.

MSAksion
Jul 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
get rid of PSU slicers - throwing energy blades was dumb.

i want PSZero slicers! they were boomerangs that you could psychically command to slice 3 times before returning to your hand. Shaped like boomerangs, propeller blades, and giant ninja stars - PSzero slicers are what i imagine and loved to use as a FoMarl.

NoiseHERO
Jul 29, 2011, 11:22 PM
get rid of PSU slicers - throwing energy blades was dumb.

i want PSZero slicers! they were boomerangs that you could psychically command to slice 3 times before returning to your hand. Shaped like boomerangs, propeller blades, and giant ninja stars - PSzero slicers are what i imagine and loved to use as a FoMarl.

I liked energy shurikens...

But I'll have to second PSZ's slicers... those were awesome...So awesome... *pot head face*

WiZ1988
Jul 29, 2011, 11:51 PM
RCSMs, handguns, bows, and PSU slicers. Like it's been said before I want PSO slicers brought back. plz

NoiseHERO
Jul 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
You can consider handguns gone since the gunblade probably killed handguns AND sabers.

Zyrusticae
Jul 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
You can consider handguns gone since the gunblade probably killed handguns AND sabers.
This.

Still not sure how I feel about it, tbh. They look pretty stylish, but it always struck me as being seriously impractical....

voxie
Jul 30, 2011, 12:09 AM
Traps.

I don't know why... they just seem slow and boring to me. Maybe they just don't fit into my style of play.

Kimil Adrayne
Jul 30, 2011, 12:10 AM
What I could live without:
Axes, Rifles, Lazers, Nadelaunchers, Wands, Dsabers, PSU slicers..

What I'd like to keep that everyone else wants gone:
Cards, Xbows, Bows, Whips

Pillan
Jul 30, 2011, 09:38 AM

I am fairly certain the confirmed handguns as a separate weapon a while ago. However, sabers are still unheard of and I hope it remains that way. I am quite fond of the current setup where every saber is essentially an agito/lavis cannon.

SaiKo
Jul 30, 2011, 10:06 AM

This... would be rather unpleasant for me... While I've always been more a rifle kind of guy, there are a lot of classic sabers and handguns I'd like to see brought back...

I guess they could fuse some of them, but it wouldn't really be the same.
Though now I am curious to see if they'll end up making some kind of Lavis Punisher. >_>

Anyway... I could do without crossbows, axes (as they were in PSU at least), RCSMs and TCSMs. I'm also not a huge fan of twin sabers, but they have potential if reworked...

GCoffee
Jul 30, 2011, 10:15 AM
However, sabers are still unheard of and I hope it remains that way.

Am I really the only one who noticed the saber in the picture of the Huamr showing of his units? (unless it's a Gunblade, lol.)

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=22085

Pillan
Jul 30, 2011, 10:18 AM
That is a gunslash (gunblade). Notice the handgun barrel above the bayonet-styled blade.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 30, 2011, 10:31 AM
I love it they add Gunblades and Wired Lance.
I do hope they keep Claws, and more specificly Nei Claw

Weapons i dont want to see.

Crossbows (whats the point when you have handguns)
Axes (Never was fond of slow weapons)
Lasers (Useless to me)
Grandes (Samea as above, then again i'm not much of a Ranger type)