PDA

View Full Version : Does Xbox PSO support 720P??

Long---Shot
Mar 15, 2003, 12:32 PM
Anybody that already owns the JP version of xbox PSO or knows the answer....does PSO xbox support 720P??
This could be a huge deciding factor. thx

Sedyne
Mar 15, 2003, 01:00 PM
wtf is 720P?

BrokenHope
Mar 15, 2003, 01:35 PM
It's a HDTV resolution and i doubt very much that xbox pso supports it, considering the pc version can't even go above 640x480.

saffaya
Mar 15, 2003, 03:42 PM
at last a useful question asked about Xbox PSO ..
720p is one of several High Definition TV picture resolution.
It is in fact 1280*720 at 60Hz.

'p' means progressive, all pictures are displayed in full each time, unlike standard TV which shows only half of it each 1/60th second.

Alas, no, PSO doesn't support 720p.
I have tried several 720p games before on my PC monitor(Street Hoops, Dragon's lair 3D, Tony Hawk 4), so I can confirm PSO does not output it.

If Sonic Team had not been : (choose one)
a) Lazy
b) Too short of time
c) Both

They could have put more Xbox power options such as
_720p
_splitscreen multiplayer online
_screen save to hard disk

Barubary6
Mar 15, 2003, 06:04 PM
On 2003-03-15 12:42, saffaya wrote:
at last a useful question asked about Xbox PSO ..
720p is one of several High Definition TV picture resolution.
It is in fact 1280*720 at 60Hz.

'p' means progressive, all pictures are displayed in full each time, unlike standard TV which shows only half of it each 1/60th second.

Alas, no, PSO doesn't support 720p.
I have tried several 720p games before on my PC monitor(Street Hoops, Dragon's lair 3D, Tony Hawk 4), so I can confirm PSO does not output it.

If Sonic Team had not been : (choose one)
a) Lazy
b) Too short of time
c) Both

_720p

720p sounds incredibly difficult to implement in a game that was coded from the beginning to run in 640x480. Especially with a bitmap font - all the text would get smaller too.

Microsoft's technical requirements for a game specifically prohibit any mechanism of saving pictures of the game, in any form, to the hard drive. (Exception: saved files can contain very small pictures to convey their position within the game.)

-- Barubary

saffaya
Mar 15, 2003, 06:43 PM
On 2003-03-15 15:04, Barubary6 wrote:
720p sounds incredibly difficult to implement in a game that was coded from the beginning to run in 640x480. Especially with a bitmap font - all the text would get smaller too.

I see your point. I didn't mean they just had to flip a switch and it would give 720p magically.
Some work is needed.
OTOH, Tony Hawk 4 is in 720p, and it is a port too, not an original game. And only Xbox allows 720p resolution ..
The font in Xbox PSO looks like a bad rush job btw, and is difficult to read.

Microsoft's technical requirements for a game specifically prohibit any mechanism of saving pictures of the game, in any form, to the hard drive. (Exception: saved files can contain very small pictures to convey their position within the game.)

wow. Thank you very much for the information.
Now I understand why DOAX doesn't have the snapshot feature that was announced.
Still, Sega could have made an upload option for PSO for snapshots.
A friend of mine has written a snapshot function for DOAX, by the way. I think he has released it by now.
I hope he gets hooked enough on PSO so to write one for it too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

Long---Shot
Mar 15, 2003, 07:29 PM
well then i seriosly doubt it has 1080i either then. given that there is only 1 game right now that supports it. 480p wont be too bad though. i believe the GC version has this option also. I think sonic team is just too lazy and under funded to implement all these to make the game better.

LunarShadowX
Mar 15, 2003, 07:38 PM
On 2003-03-15 15:04, Barubary6 wrote:

Ever heard of the game called "Shenmue 2." Yeah, you were able to save snapshots to the HD in that game, so I think that that theory is out of the window.

Getintothegame
Mar 16, 2003, 04:27 AM
On 2003-03-15 12:42, saffaya wrote:

_720p

Splitscreen multiplayer online? Wow, that would be incredibley difficult...

saffaya
Mar 16, 2003, 06:36 AM
Splitscreen multiplayer online? Wow, that would be incredibley difficult...

mmmh.. why that ?

Faendryl
Mar 16, 2003, 07:52 AM
The one Xbox system would have to process zones in multiple forms, if people on the same Xbox decided to be in different levels (ie one person on ragol, another on the ship, etc)

What if one person is getting saved leaving the bank while another person is fighting a room full of enemies? Would his screen freeze up too? etc etc...

For all the work(or lack thereof really) that Sega maintains on PSO, wel all know they would have never spent the time to try to implement that on this old port anyway.

saffaya
Mar 17, 2003, 03:16 AM
On 2003-03-16 04:52, Faendryl wrote:
The one Xbox system would have to process zones in multiple forms, if people on the same Xbox decided to be in different levels (ie one person on ragol, another on the ship, etc)

Let's assume the worst case scenario in which this can't be done on the box (not proven).
How about doing the same thing that in multiplayer offline : players of the same Xbox must go from zone to zone together.

What if one person is getting saved leaving the bank while another person is fighting a room full of enemies? Would his screen freeze up too? etc etc...

Your screen freezes on DC when someone joins your game online. This has never been a problem.

CrashCat
Mar 17, 2003, 07:27 AM
I don't see why you couldn't take advantage of increased power on these consoles to do things like have more than one zone loaded, or even do saving to the hard drive while the game continues. My guess is it's really just not worth the effort to them, since it might mean fooling around with some of the core code. I would have to hope my Xbox has more room to work with than a Dreamcast, but it might not have enough room to run four virtual Dreamcasts, for all I know. Then again, the four-player mode on Cube might just be four slightly-modified games running in separate memory; who's to say if they even bothered to somehow combine information to save strain? One would think they did since you can only play one zone at once, but I'm gonna guess they used whatever method was as easy to code in as possible. It might explain why other games run fine in 4-player split screen but PSO just chugs if you go over 3.

jlkeeton
Mar 17, 2003, 02:52 PM
Although the lack of 720p is a bit of a letdown, 480p is definitely an improvement over 480i. The difference is not astounding, but it makes the picture crisper and cleaner.

Now, if they would only have included a WIDESCREEN enhancement to either the GC or XB version so multiplayer could be a bit easier to use, that would have been nice. Of course, I haven't seen too many widescreen games out there, either (Super Monkey Ball and what else???). *imagines 2-player in widescreen on side-by-side almost full-screen view*

saffaya
Mar 17, 2003, 05:49 PM
On 2003-03-17 11:52, jlkeeton wrote:
Although the lack of 720p is a bit of a letdown, 480p is definitely an improvement over 480i.

ah .. er .. what improvement ? PSO DC was 480p. I've never played it otherwise personally.

And the presentation videos of the game sucks in 480p BTW. Seems most of the videos from japanese games are low grade jobs. (Crimson Sea, Otogi, PSO, ..) Except elite teams like Team Ninja (DOA3, DOAX) or Smilebit (Panzer Dragoon Orta).