PDA

View Full Version : Partner AI?

SStrikerR
Jun 5, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone. Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I've been wondeirng what everybody thinks about partner AI.

Do you want it to be incorporated like it was in PSO, where it was only during certain quests? Or maybe like PSU, where you could invite AI characters after you obtained their card? How many should be allowed at once?

Personally I liked them in PSU, as having meatshields at will is always welcome in my book.

Sienna
Jun 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
PSU style

Meatshield for incoming projectiles is cool

Unless they are just inhibiting the ability to clear out the room faster.

joshboyd1209
Jun 5, 2011, 08:21 PM
Well I'm going to have to say PSU style, because it means that when you're playing on you're own you do not have to actually fight alone.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 5, 2011, 08:39 PM
Honestly I'd like it if the game played well enough on it's own so you could solo comfortably without AI aid. I never fully enjoyed the idea of PMs fighting with you either, If I had it my way they would be limited to story mode or certain event missions only. That way the the AI could actually be (good) effective and I wouldn't care about them "out shining me" on the field.

I know some of you will say "it's a multi-player game and when you solo, you need to give enemies more targets". Well tough, that's the price you pay for "soloing", otherwise you're not soloing. With the addition of blocks, jumping, and roll dodges, maybe this game will take more skill and possibly give the tools to effectively solo.

If they do make partner or NPC AI for every run game use it's lose-lose. If they are too good then you could sit back and let them play for you. If they are too weak and stupid then all your gaining is the "meat shield" (and possible lag). I'm hoping the "meat shield" wont be necessary for solo play.

They will most likely be a fixture in PSO2, so I would like a bonus for completely runs solo, without AI assist.

RemiusTA
Jun 5, 2011, 08:49 PM
No partner AI.

Seriously, the way the nature of the game is changing, the only use they'll be in higher levels is for meatshields, unless they do some serious AI overhauls.

I'd rather the difficulty of the mission just mold itself to the amount of people in the room.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 5, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'd rather the difficulty of the mission just mold itself to the amount of people in the room.

I like this idea, just like offline PSO one player mode. Enemies had... what was it 1/3 the health vs multiplayer play? and you gained less exp. And online was equivalent to multilayer offline.

Also, could the OP poll this thread? I'd like to see the over all consensus.

EDIT: Does anyone have the stats on PSO's one player vs. multiplayer? [In regards to enemy HP and EXP]

Sienna
Jun 5, 2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.psowiki.net/wiki/Portal:Enemies
Enjoy

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 5, 2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.psowiki.net/wiki/Portal:Enemies
Enjoy

Yeah that's the site I was looking for it on. It's not actually present in that link, unless you meant to post a different one... I'll keep searching, thanks anyway.

Edit: Roughly 44% less HP and only 10% drop in exp for single mode vs. multi. But of course you get way more enemies per room in multi and online mode.

Tetsaru
Jun 6, 2011, 12:19 AM
If they implement NPC's of some sort that fight alongside you, then they'd better have some damn good AI. PSU's AI was laughable and pathetic, and from what I remember, PSO's quest NPC's weren't much better. Preferably though, I'd like to be able to give them commands in some way, as well as be able to customize their equipment... or do something similar for MAG's.

ARASHIKAGE
Jun 6, 2011, 01:14 AM
If they implement NPC's of some sort that fight alongside you, then they'd better have some damn good AI. PSU's AI was laughable and pathetic, and from what I remember, PSO's quest NPC's weren't much better. Preferably though, I'd like to be able to give them commands in some way, as well as be able to customize their equipment... or do something similar for MAG's.

Haha yeah I agree, I saw your video in the other thread, that about summed it up.

Alnet
Jun 6, 2011, 01:16 AM
That's part of what made PSU's AI partners so miserable, was that they just acted based entirely on their horrible AI (couldn't be commanded), and that their equipment was bland.

AI partners also for some reason tended to have Ice armor (style, I guess), so if you're in a mission where enemies are Fire type or use fire (which is every single planet, btw), then they're screwed.

And then there was that stupid thing where the PAs they used depended on the weapon, but not like the way we had. Like if you had Leo as a partner, then he'd use a 6* Spear with Dus Robado at Lv1-10, but if he had a 9* spear equipped, then he can use Dus Robado at Lv21-30. And given that they for the most part randomly cycled through weapons, they were pretty useless offensively 3/4 of the time.

PSP2I has a system that sorta fixes this. In PSP2 and PSP2I, you can give your allies commands, but the AI is still more likely to continue screwing around as it pleases. In PSP2I, you can actually use your other created characters (and IIRC friends' characters from partner cards) as CPU allies, using whatever equipment and PAs they had on, with some limits. Something like that would be pretty interesting in PSO2 if they made it possible to tell the AI units what to do and actually have them do it. They're halfway there by giving them equipment and skills that are actually worth something.

Sienna
Jun 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
amg gunmaster soloing

If you do not mind Laia knocking away all your enemies

Or any other npc that have those PAs in general

dooby613
Jul 7, 2011, 10:35 AM
I don't want bots taking up slots but the partner AI is terrible in PSO and needs to be more advanced(like psu but maybe improve even further).