PDA

View Full Version : Music Do musicians have hearing problem?

darkante
Jun 7, 2011, 01:44 AM
A friend asked and i just want to get to the bottom with it.

Akaimizu
Jun 7, 2011, 08:42 AM
I don't even know how to even answer this one. Unless he's talking specifically about a certain group or something.

darkante
Jun 7, 2011, 08:45 AM
Let's say a Metal theme group.

Akaimizu
Jun 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
Ok. Let's say they are a Metal group. Death Metal. Let's say they do lots of concerts and stuff. In the proper case, those speakers are often not directed at the group but at the audience. Fortunately, for them, that often means that they get the lesser weight of the sound since Amps push sound forward and are greatly reduced in other directions.

So, in a way, the folks banging around in the audience, for a certain distance from the group, get the most intense and loudest of the sound. I've played in quite a few bands in concerts (not Death Metal, mind you), but for all the speaker setups, often enough the sound is reduced to the capacity that you actually need your own monitors to hear what you're even playing. The Audience gets the big mix, but the sound is so directed away from you, you need assistance to get the balance your way.

So people getting their loss of hearing from loud audio are more likely to be the people who came to watch the concert (jamming in front of those tower-sized speakers), not the ones playing it. (Or the ones in the Car in which you can hear the darn audio pumping through its closed windows for over 3 blocks away).

Composers, on the other hand, may listen to mixes a little louder than casual listening, but not blaring like some other folks. They turn it up loud enough just for the *blanket* sound in order to hear whether the proper mix is achieved and that each and every instrument comes through correctly. To casual listeners, it's a bit loud, but the music isn't loud enough to spill out from the car, much. Unless you're standing right next to it or the windows are well open.

RenzokukenZ
Jun 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
I believe Beethoven was partially deaf during his career.

Akaimizu
Jun 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
He was. Thus my first question. Were there any particular musicians in mind, with that question.

darkante
Jun 7, 2011, 09:25 AM
Ok, thanks for answering.
I just have one more question..Do most people exposed to high volume have the need for hearing aid machines later on their life.
Like those on the ear.

Akaimizu
Jun 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm no doctor or one to be truly researched, in that area. I wouldn't be able to honestly answer that. But there's a lot of people exposed to music a whole lot, who went through life without hearing aides.

darkante
Jun 7, 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for answering that.
I hate that my friend seem to imply that everyone are using hearing aide just because they are used to high volume music in their life.

CelestialBlade
Jun 7, 2011, 10:01 AM
Way too broad a subject to give one answer to. I too am not a doctor but I do know that repeated, extreme exposure to high decibel levels can lead to hearing loss. That's not just from music or concerts--it happens to people exposed to firearms, un-muffled engines, jets, manufacturing plants, etc. I think a tendency for natural hearing loss can be hereditary too.

Basically, the argument that people with hearing aids listened to too much loud music is uneducated and inconclusive, there's a lot of things that lead to hearing loss.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 7, 2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for answering that.
I hate that my friend seem to imply that everyone are using hearing aide just because they are used to high volume music in their life.
You need to be way more specific in your questions.

Loud music isn't the only reason someone may have hearing problems. They may be construction workers, or they may use guns without the proper hearing protection. Guns are fucking loud. Basically any kind of job with anything with the noise of a lawnmower could technically be damaging over a period of time. It doesn't even have to be an occupation, it just has to be something loud that someone does over a period of time.

Other times, it's just old age. Cells deteriorate and lose their efficiency over time, so yeah, your hearing will start to go as you go older. It's not just what the person did, it could also just be due to old age.

darkante
Jun 7, 2011, 03:44 PM
Alright, gotcha.

Tetsaru
Jun 7, 2011, 10:13 PM
I've played in the percussion section and drumlines of my high school and college bands for around a decade or so. I know my hearing has suffered somewhat.

My dad was also one of the band directors at my school. He also played in a band and did some firearms training and competitive shooting for the National Guard. He also has hearing problems.

Prolonged exposure to pretty much any type of loud sounds will do that to you. If you or your friend is in a band, I suggest wearing earplugs or headphones, if at all possible.

Syl
Jun 8, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hearing loss is almost always never immediate. Hell, you probably won't start experiencing any until you've had years upon years of damage from loud noise and suddenly start losing it many years later. As someone who has played with a band on a stage and worked in concerts, there's a really simple solution to intense volume levels. Ear plugs.

But these aren't just your regular foam ear plugs. There's some noise cancelling ones, and they work wonders.

http://www.etymotic.com/images/hp-er6i-100b.jpg
http://www.harriscomm.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/H/C/HC-ER20.BL.jpg

They may look funny, but they really get the job done. They're kind of pricey though.

As Nitro said, musicians aren't the only ones who can get their hearing messed up.

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2011, 06:10 AM
Oh are those the ones that emit a noise-canceling frequency? Been waiting for ones in earbud form, even if they're kinda pricey.

darkante
Jun 8, 2011, 12:52 PM
Personally, i donīt have loud music normally.
Just a quiz i got curious about.