PDA

View Full Version : Has PSO killed off the GC?

BendMeOver
Mar 15, 2003, 02:47 PM
This is the latest update on story i have beeen running on my site (http://www.gcpso.tk/) at the moment:

Last week the Dixon?s group, which includes Curry?s and PC World, stopped buying new GC?s and once they have sold all their stock that will be it. Also all GC games are ?2499 whilst stocks last.

Today I have read in the Sun that Argos are doing a Mega GC deal, ?78.99 for a Gamecube a free and a free memory card.

However as good as this sounds lets hope they are not doing what the Dixon?s group are doing. Or we will have another DC on our hands.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BendMeOver on 2003-03-15 11:50 ]</font>

Piro-Skies
Mar 15, 2003, 03:08 PM
I'm not suprised Dixons and PC world stopped buying them, I mean they had a very poor selection of games (well the ones in my area) and there's better competition like GAME out there who know what they're doing.

I can't see how PSO caused this at all.

-Piro Skies

Auracom
Mar 15, 2003, 03:23 PM
That's kinda scary... but i don't think nintendo will fall this easily. They still have abunch of tricks up their selves... what might screw them over is if the new pokemon doesn't succeed...

thewiredknight
Mar 15, 2003, 04:02 PM
1. PSO can't kill a system, that though that a single game can kill a system is just ridiculous.

2. Nintendo is currently in great shape, they still are outselling X-box units by 50,000, even though this is 50,000 shy of PS2, the leader in the gaming market.

3. Nintendo currently has 560,000 preorders for Zelda Wind Waker, it's a best seller even before it was released. Nintendo allready stated that due to the amount they invested in Zelda, it would tell them where the system will go, Zelda's allready sold well so Nintendo is set.

Brundidge
Mar 15, 2003, 04:29 PM
I don't think PSO could kill off the gamecube. PSO isn't Nintendo's big money making series. Plus I don't think one game could prove the downfall of a system since there are other games that could be way better.

-BK-
Mar 15, 2003, 04:46 PM
If you were to buy a system and only get one game for the system, would you make PSO that one game? I doubt it, cause most people that would buy a system for one game would want a game that can be picked up and played by anyone at anytime. There is no ONE game that can make or break a system, anyways. If Zelda turned out to be crap, the Mario games were no good, and if Soul Calibur 2 got the shaft; then I'd be concerned about the future of the GC.

Davion
Mar 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
Metroid Prime and Zelda are not going to let the GC die, and PSO would help more than hurt the good'ole GCN rather than hurt it anyway.

TeamPhalanx
Mar 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
Did I miss something? How is PSO involved in all this?

Davion
Mar 15, 2003, 05:38 PM
On 2003-03-15 13:55, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Did I miss something? How is PSO involved in all this?

Other than it being a sorta newish game to the system, I couldn't really tell myself.

Sedyne
Mar 15, 2003, 08:07 PM
at my local eb and gamestop every time i go into that store i see a kid trading in his GC games for store credit ;3...and i see more GC used games than even Xbox used games...i didnt think it'd turn out like that >_<

RuneLateralus
Mar 15, 2003, 08:13 PM
If anything, it is Nintendo's bad marketing decisions.

They have done it in past as well. They told Sony "we decided not to go with the Playstation (which was originally the SNES CD...which explains why the controllers are so similar)," the whole "we are against violence," Virtual Boy (nuff said). Staying with cartridges for N64, the lack of online games for the GC. and that crappy Mario Sunshine ad (worse commerical ever!!!).

Nintendo makes some great games, but they need to get their marketing plan better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2003-03-15 17:15 ]</font>

thewiredknight
Mar 15, 2003, 08:50 PM
Their marketting plans seem to work fine for all of their own titles. Metroid Prime had a lot of money invested into it and sold like crazy. Also the "bonus disk" for Zelda really boosted sales as well.

Vitamin_D
Mar 15, 2003, 09:00 PM
Nintendo makes some great games, but they need to get their marketing plan better.

Yeah, Sega suffered from this too.

RagMasterRappy
Mar 15, 2003, 09:05 PM
On 2003-03-15 13:46, hagakura wrote:
If you were to buy a system and only get one game for the system, would you make PSO that one game? I doubt it

I bought a GameCube only because of PSO ..

Xion810
Mar 15, 2003, 09:09 PM
PSO Will not kill the Gamecube.

PSO may however kill the Modem adaptor.

Vantamiath
Mar 15, 2003, 09:10 PM
Yup, I just read it in the new BULLSHIT Monthly; PSO is killing the Gamecube!

BendMeOver
Mar 16, 2003, 06:03 AM
lol its just a curse PSo was really the game real game for the DC and now it's out for the GC look what happining

Ness
Mar 16, 2003, 08:55 AM
On 2003-03-15 11:47, BendMeOver wrote:
This is the latest update on story i have beeen running on my site (http://www.gcpso.tk/) at the moment:

Last week the Dixon?s group, which includes Curry?s and PC World, stopped buying new GC?s and once they have sold all their stock that will be it. Also all GC games are ?2499 whilst stocks last.

Today I have read in the Sun that Argos are doing a Mega GC deal, ?78.99 for a Gamecube a free and a free memory card.

However as good as this sounds lets hope they are not doing what the Dixon?s group are doing. Or we will have another DC on our hands.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BendMeOver on 2003-03-15 11:50 ]</font>

I find it funny that the website you gave that you claim to be yours is exactly the same as the one you advertised here a couple of months earlier and denied it being yours.

Just like the last time Ididn't see the story which leads me to think that you made this up.

1. One game can't kill off a system.

2. If GC dies it's because it's not selling well and GC is still selling.

3. It would be Nintenod's decision to stop making the system and something Sega did would not affect them.

4. I've never heard of either of those places.

I think this was all just a stunt to get attention.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 16, 2003, 05:47 PM
Ness, you havent heard of either of those places cause you dont live in the UK. Dixons is a big electrical supplier over here and Argos is one of the most populer high street catologue stores.

I noticed Dixons selling off all the games the other week, i just think screw em. They dont shift many games as it is, theres loads of PS2 and Xbox games in my local store that have been there for months and havent sold. The news article fails to mention that theyve put all Xbox games down to £30 in their stores.

Argos is just doing a bundle offer. It means more people will buy the GC cause its cheap and hopefully lengthen the life of the console.

So the news doesnt bother me to much, and anyway, it means i can get some cheap games.

-BK-
Mar 16, 2003, 09:35 PM
On 2003-03-15 18:05, RagMasterRappy wrote:

If you were to buy a system and only get one game for the system, would you make PSO that one game? I doubt it

Venture out, play more. PM me for recommendations. (or find me on IM)

pixelate
Mar 16, 2003, 10:00 PM

Same here. That also goes for why I bought a BBA and will probably be buying a keyboard.

RuneLateralus
Mar 16, 2003, 10:45 PM
The main reason I bought a GameCube was PSO itself. You people stating how awesome it was got to me and I caved in.

Ironically, the day I got the damn thing...everyone started to complain.

Gartywood
Mar 17, 2003, 03:49 AM
On 2003-03-16 18:35, hagakura wrote:

Venture out, play more. PM me for recommendations. (or find me on IM)

Ummmm I think its a safe assumption to say that all the people here that bought a GC because of PSO probably have other games for it. I mean i technically bought it for PSO because i was soooo psyched for it. but i bought it in april (2 weeks before the price drop damnit and got SSBM, Pikmin, and Super Monkey Ball for it.

and for everyone knocking the number of titles for GC...I actually have 11 titles for GC and 10 for PS2 so HA (although one of those GC titles is Ocarina of Time) and neither of those numbers compares to the number i had for DC (20 something) BUt seriously I still havent played Starfox, Mario sunshine, or res evil 0 so i mean there is a lot out there for GC. Sure not as many games as for the PS2 but pretty close with the XBOX and the PS2 had a head start and has a lot of crappy games.

Gestiv
Mar 17, 2003, 12:32 PM
The GCN PSO lovers are few and far between, but there are enough that there shouldn't be a reason that PSO could kill the Gamecube. Besides, even if Nintendo does fail, I'll always love my GCN. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: I bought my PS2 after my GCN... I have one game for it, and 12 for Gamecube (So take that, PS2!). I have enough to keep me busy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gestiv on 2003-03-17 09:38 ]</font>