PDA

View Full Version : tried out psp2 but like the way zero plays more

Rovert
Jun 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
i recently tried out phantasy star portable 2 thinking i was really going to like it but that didnt happen :(
i prefer the feel of zero much more. any1 else have a similiar experience?

Atbar
Jun 11, 2011, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I have. I went out of my way to buy a Sony PSP Go last September just to play PSP2 thinking I was going to like it. I found myself not caring for it in the long run and gave up on it for good a month ago and sold the PSP Go. I still find myself playing PSZ to this day and prefer it over PSP2.

Windancer
Jun 11, 2011, 02:42 AM
I also felt the same way. I bought the game and Tried playing online with some friends that I played PSZ with that moved over. Just to find the PSP made my hands very numb after a short time of play. I also still play PSZ to this day and loved the smoothness of it. also I think the NPC toons are more enjoyable than psp2.

LONG LIVE THE REVIVAL!

XxGoregrinderxX
Jun 11, 2011, 04:03 AM
Me too.
I was playing PSP2 alot but sometimes it was very boring.
I didnt like this crazy chain system.
I think ZEro is much better.

Arrow
Jun 11, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hm, i wonder.... is there a thread out there that has like a comparison of all the Phantasy star games to date? or maybe that would be something to create perhaps?

NER0
Jun 17, 2011, 07:37 AM
I agree while PSP2 has way more content, I like the style and gameplay of PSZ much better overall. PSP2 is still too much like Universe to me which I very much loathe. PSZ retains the classic PSO feel very well.

NER0
Jun 27, 2011, 07:32 AM
Also, as far as online play goes... The chat system in PSP2 is horrible, and so is the god awful frame rate. Seriously it seems like the FPS drops by 15 frames when in multiplayer.

Chaos Rappy
Jun 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
Agreed, they should have tried looking into the way Nintendo managed to make a virtually lag-free multiplayer for Zero when they were making Phantasy Star "Potent Potables for $200", and the chat system was painful to make discussions with, so damn slow to maneuver through the chatbox, plus it's a pain when multiple people talk at once and you miss something someone says, since you can't keep making text when you go to look at the log... Also, there is such a thing as too much content... I'm gonna hate for when Infinity hits the US, if it ever even does. :/

Atbar
Jun 29, 2011, 09:32 PM
Ugh, I couldn't stand the chat system or the lagging either. I don't understand how people can chat in PSP2 because it takes long enough to answer a simple question with that stiff keyboard they give you. And what really irritated me about the lagging is you are dependent on the chain system for damage and it's annoying how weapons like the twin handguns register one chain increase instead of two when you shoot them due to the lag. I've encountered a lot less lag on PSZ. I would like to say I never see any lag, except I do see it sometimes in a full party. Even then, it doesn't annoy me to the point of logging out.

Zettaizero
Jul 25, 2011, 06:21 AM
It seem that a lot of PSO vets hated PSU, me being one of them; it took Sega 3 tries to make PSU a decent game.. PSP2i was great, but the style and convenience of PSZ is much better. While PSP2 has more content, its flashy but it still gets boring within 50 hours of gameplay. Also not to sound like a complainer, but why is Sega able to make the music transit in PSZ and PSO, but not PSU or the PSP series.. that alone would make the repetitive gameplay more enjoyable (repetition doesn't always mean bad) not to mention that PSZ's soundtrack resembles PSO's epic tracks. I didn't feel that with PSU/PSP series.

blazingsonic
Jul 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
*Inserts PSZ praise with PSP2 bash comment here.* Oh seriously I enjoy both equally, infact I see PSZ has somewhat of my characters in their young years, and PSP2 how they are now.

StriderTuna
Jul 31, 2011, 04:17 AM
I liked the original PSO so I got PSZ to get a taste of that as I didn't have a DC or a computer able to run PS0 PC/BB. But I do like having special effects trigging off of normal attacks compared to a rather inferior attack like in PSO.

Only complaint about PSZ is the Eternal Tower or how it's inconvenient to take breaks from it.

But I consider there being 3 branches of the PSO family:

Vanillia (PSO ver 1-4/BB, PSO2)
PSU (PSU, PSP series)
PS0

Did I get that right? But each branch has its own style and twists on the formula. Though out of the two other branches, PS0 is closer to classic PSO than the PSU branch.

Scheherazade
Aug 8, 2011, 06:01 AM
i just started on ps zero. I sold my my psp (and psp1&2 along with it) to help pay for a 3DS. Since my g/f has a dsiXL and we enjoy playing games together I picked up to 2 copies of PS Zero to introduce her to PS gameplay. So far though I've felt the gameplay is really stiff and the game limited. Now I wish I had shown her PSP2 first.

Personally, I prefer the less kiddy look of the PSU/P characters, and the smoother combat. Not to mention the room stuff, huge amount of missions to choose from and the awesome music. But the fact that so many people seem to have the opposite opinion as me gives me hope that PSZero will grow on me at least. My g/f trying to give it a chance but not enjoying it so far.

darkante
Aug 9, 2011, 11:45 AM
I enjoy PSZ spirit, but its too limited unfortunately being on a DS.
But i wouldn´t hesitate to buy a sequel of it though.

Just keep the ET out of my face, kay? :P

Zynetic
Aug 9, 2011, 03:56 PM
The reason alot of people hold the opinion of PSZ being greater than PSP2 is simply because they detest anything that plays similar to the Universe series. Universe was quite simply a huge disappointment to many PSO fans, as the formula was changed quite dramatically. PSZ plays more like PSO than PSP2, so obviously old PSO fans will find the game alot better, due to nostalgia mainly.

That being said, I have both PSZ and PSP2 (starting on PSO), and I have to say I enjoy PSP2 alot more. It has much more content and a much more fluid combat system (I find PSZ feels sluggish sometimes), but that doesn't mean PSZ is a bad game. I just think it could've done alot more, as I felt far too limited in what I could do ingame. (no quick weapon swap/technique menu/item menu really did my head in. Of course you can hold the L/R buttons, but you have to stop to use the menus.)

And the Eternal Tower. Whoever thought of that needs to be shot.

But with all that being said, I honestly think that PSZ is one of the better DS games out there. It's well-made, but its flaws are very easy to see.

Scheherazade
Aug 9, 2011, 04:11 PM
I've played more of PSZ now and definitely, I feel its a good game. I guess the way people were talking I did expect more. It's very straightforward, but I like it.

I did play PSO on Gamecube so I totally get the nostalgia, although now the action pallette seems so limited compared to PSU/P weapon changing / item using.

It's a shame the Phantasy Star community seems split over PSO vs PSU.. I feel like both have a lot to offer. I have to admit I skipped PSU for a long time due to the way it first turned out. Those that took the dive when it first came out, and felt burned by it, I'm sure have a different perspective than me.

Zynetic
Aug 9, 2011, 04:33 PM
Ironically, the reason I enjoy PSP2 is because it's like PSO.

Sad, isn't it?

Elijah Fox
Aug 9, 2011, 04:56 PM
PSZ doesnt look too amazing to me...

Whats it about PSZ that makes it so cool? Just an honest question...

Mike
Aug 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
Whats it about PSZ that makes it so cool? Just an honest question...
Nostalgia.

StriderTuna
Aug 9, 2011, 07:53 PM
Nostalgia.

Partially that as things are closer to classic PSO than PSU/PSPo, another is the different aesthetics that exists in the game, perhaps the only PSO-type game where NUnewearls weren't fanservice incarnate.

ZeroxGT
Aug 10, 2011, 10:52 AM
Ive played psp2... its good and all but i only had it for short time... the new content was nice though sadly i didnt play online at all though. I wished i bought it new rather than used. i didnt like paying not just for a game and then have to go to the psn to buy a pass to play online. Not saying i cant afford it but i just dont see the point in it...maybe im not understanding that. Being able to carry over data from psp1 was cool though. So yeah i liked psp2 for the most of it.. I didnt know about PSZ til now since ive been lookig for other games to play and Give RPGs a break. When i saw it i went hunting around for anyone that has it, found ths site and now playing it i hopes of being at a decent level so i can play oline with other players... currently made it to the tower( im sure u know what it is) ben playing for 30 hours and at 38... So yeah ive been enjoying this game alot hope they release one for the 3DS im sure it could get a good turnout if they tried. In a nutshell... psp2 is a great game to play and so i PSZ though sice i have only my dsi now that my psp broke awhile back ill be here hopefully playing with you guys

Though maybe i should get another psp.... (sorry idk if i wanna get vita, after seeing the pspGO and that i had spent alot of money o UMDs i kinda lost my touch with sony on that though its still a nice hadheld)

Taijutsu-Joshua
Aug 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
Since I'm here reading all these posts, does any one think that SEGA'll continue Zero into its own subseries? Or, would you like that to happen?

Evila
Aug 10, 2011, 05:30 PM
Doubtful. Seems like they'll be continuing the Portable series on the PS Vita.

Would I like it to happen? I don't care either way. I thought Zero wrapped up fine. I think all of the portable Phantasy Star games have their merits, but I'd rather just focus on the upcoming PSO2 on PC. Any portable Phantasy Star game that comes out after that won't have my full attention if PSO2 ends up being a good time sink.

Now, I'd be really interested if they made a new turn-based RPG Phantasy Star game as a portable title, haha.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Aug 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
Doubtful. Seems like they'll be continuing the Portable series on the PS Vita.

Would I like it to happen? I don't care either way. I thought Zero wrapped up fine. I think all of the portable Phantasy Star games have their merits, but I'd rather just focus on the upcoming PSO2 on PC. Any portable Phantasy Star game that comes out after that won't have my full attention if PSO2 ends up being a good time sink.

Now, I'd be really interested if they made a new turn-based RPG Phantasy Star game as a portable title, haha.

I didn't mean with the story and characters, just the universe, since it was all brand new and set apart from the others.

Evila
Aug 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
I didn't mean with the story and characters, just the universe, since it was all brand new and set apart from the others.
Oh yeah yeah. I actually liked the new locations a lot (sans the Valley I guess, that place was pretty standard) and would like to see them revisited, even if it's not necessarily in the Zero universe. Kind of like how those Eternal Tower style maps show up in Infinity.

kirtblue
Aug 18, 2011, 03:32 AM
i too liked zero more the problem is zero just doesnt have that much to do i spent like 700 on zero and im was well over 1200 hours last i checked on psp2 i like zero but its just short

Daak
Aug 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
Zero is great and all but it just dosent keep you going till you have finished it ...
But i realy like it though ...
I realy want a new one on 3ds ...

Atbar
Aug 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
Nostalgia should not be considered a cover-all for why it is so many people think PSZ is great. Not everyone who picks up PSZ is either a PSO or PSU vet. For me, PSZ is the first Phantasy Star game I've played quite extensively. I picked it up in the first place because I liked the idea of running through maps in hopes of getting some good loot. The game also fits the model for the ideal DS game, a game that is fairly simple that you can play on the go and play with others on wifi.

Speaking of wifi, I ended up putting more than 1000 hours into the game because I've met my fair share of people to play it with on the online multiplayer. Although a lot of them have came and went, there's a few I've met playing PSZ that I consider a friend. I tried my hand at PSP2 because it came off as the spiritual successor for PSZ and it failed to measure up for me. Most of my problems with PSP2 have to do with my frustrations with the online mode than it does with the actual gameplay. It has nothing to do with whether or not I like PSO or PSU more because I have never played those games.

StriderTuna
Aug 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
I'm not a PSO vet, and I mainly got PSZ because it was a PSOish game for the DS (my only portable), and the fact it had many classic touches as well as new ones was a nice bonus.

Naruuchiha1313
Aug 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
What I hate about PSP2 is chat, I don't really mind anything else. The only thing I don't like about PSZ is just that character apearance isn't as customizable, but that's just from playing the newer games too much, and the mags fix that. I love the mags in PSO style games

HUcast_Josh
Aug 26, 2011, 02:02 PM
PSP2 is better in terms of customization, but ps0 has got way more replay value, because all the levels change insted of a set route, and mags are just awesome. Shame zero did'nt sell aswell cause i would love to see a sequel ;(