PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony found not Guilty

Ryno
Jul 5, 2011, 01:41 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/casey-anthony-jury-reaches-verdict/1

A Florida jury has found Casey Anthony not guilty of murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

The jury of 7 women and 5 men in Orlando did find the 25-year-old Anthony guilty of giving false information to a law enforcement in connection with the case. The jurors returned the verdict after more than 10 hours of deliberation.

BIG OLAF
Jul 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
Just shows how flawed America's law system is. A woman that kills her 2-year-old daughter and then blames it on her parents can even get away with it.

Jul 5, 2011, 02:51 PM
It's too bad they didn't just ask BIG OLAF what happened, since he seems to know with 100% certainty that she's guilty.

BIG OLAF
Jul 5, 2011, 03:02 PM
It's too bad they didn't just ask BIG OLAF what happened, since he seems to know with 100% certainty that she's guilty.

Since I only live about an hour from where all of this originally happened, I've been hearing things about it for years now, as have most Central Floridians. Either way, I'm not debating with you or anyone else about this, so don't try to antagonize me. Get real.

NoiseHERO
Jul 5, 2011, 03:12 PM
Theres no way, phoenix wright was her lawyer.

Ryno
Jul 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
Man, my Facebook page is roaring with outrage over this shit. All my friends and family that live around here are flipping out. Hell, even a lot of my extended family back in Pennsylvania can't believe it. My dad said it's O.J all over again. Which it basically is. I wouldn't be surprised if some vigilante decides to kill the bitch sometime in the near future, like she deserves.

Me too.. I live in north part of Florida and it's only like an hour and 1/2 away from me and I see it on my Facebook everyone posting status. Even local news cast was there from my town... Lol
I think O.J. And Casey should date! Haha

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
Theres no way, phoenix wright was her lawyer.

Only HE would be able to declare her NOT GUILTY!
Was the Judge bald with epic big beard?

BIG OLAF
Jul 5, 2011, 03:45 PM
Only HE would be able to declare her NOT GUILTY!
Was the Judge bald with epic big beard?

Nah, just some old African-American fellow. Not too exciting. She probably would have been convicted if this guy was presiding:

http://reason.com/assets/mc/psuderman/2010_12/judgedredd_i-am-the-law.jpg

Leviathan
Jul 5, 2011, 04:03 PM
Just shows how flawed America's law system is. A woman that kills her 2-year-old daughter and then blames it on her parents can even get away with it.

The legal system isn't perfect (nothing is), but it sure beats other systems. Hammurabi's Code ("Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth..." to name one.

It's the prosecution's job to prove the murder beyond a shadow of doubt, and they couldn't. Not to mention the prosecutors were laughing at the matter of life or death in the courtroom (http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/jose-baez-calls-jeff-ashton-laughing-guy-halts-casey-anthony-closing-argument). Poor taste? Poor taste.

The burden of proof is set high in order to prevent innocent people (Not saying she is. Only person who knows what really happened is her) from going to jail or being put to death (http://www.innocenceproject.org/about/Mission-Statement.php).

Basically, I think the jury made the smart move to charge her for the misdemeanors that may not even have to serve. She can walk out as early as Thursday seeing how she has been sitting in jail for three years.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 5, 2011, 04:30 PM
Nah, just some old African-American fellow. Not too exciting. She probably would have been convicted if this guy was presiding:

http://reason.com/assets/mc/psuderman/2010_12/judgedredd_i-am-the-law.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/272/erza2.jpg

...too epic for words! o o

Rashiid
Jul 5, 2011, 04:45 PM
From what I've heard, there wasn't enough physical evidence that she did do it. A strong gut feeling is NOT evidence if that's the case.

We might as well let psychics be witnesses since they foresaw something in a dream, right?

SpikeOtacon
Jul 5, 2011, 04:59 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7360/caseyelbowdrop.jpg

I really haven't been paying enough attention to call it one way or the other for my personal opinion. But man my facebook wall is filled with pent up rage about this today!

Sord
Jul 5, 2011, 06:56 PM
I really haven't been paying enough attention to call it one way or the other for my personal opinion. But man my facebook wall is filled with pent up rage about this today!

Mine is kinda funny, it is mostly people that are family or acquaintances that know of it, but most of my close friends do not know about it because we stay off the typical news circuit and stick to either national news or news feeds related directly to our interest (joystiq probably being the heaviest one, go figure.)

Palle
Jul 5, 2011, 06:59 PM
What happens when a 'jury of your peers' is comprised entirely of avid So You Think You Can Dance fans, fashion vloggers, and people who believe in earnest that Gaga is the Mozart of our time.

(Sorry Luu)

Randomness
Jul 5, 2011, 08:11 PM
Didn't follow it much. My sentiments have already been expressed in this thread anyways - that if the burden of proof wasn't met, she has to be let off. It's the only ethical choice for the jury members.

-Crokar-
Jul 5, 2011, 08:21 PM
i see people saying she should of been guilty all over the net today. people never seem to think what if it was you up there on the stand. would you like the entire nation accusing you of being a murderer? would you want to be sentenced to death by a jury whos entire means of "proof" of murder are completely speculation? no i dont think you would. she may of been an incompetent human being and a horrible mother, but that does not make her a murderer. is she an idiot for hiding it? of course she is. she wouldnt of spent 3 years in jail if she wouldnt of hide it.

NoiseHERO
Jul 5, 2011, 09:01 PM
There's worse things going on in the world, why was this one a big deal again?

-Crokar-
Jul 5, 2011, 09:08 PM
because the media wanted it to be

Sinue_v2
Jul 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
I haven't been paying attention to Casey Anthony, as her case seems rather mild compared to a recent local event with Latisha Lawson. This chick thought her three year old boy was possessed by demons, so she forced absurd amounts of oil and vinegar down his throat and held her hand over his mouth & nose and prayed for him until he asphyxiated. Then she wrapped his body up and hid him in the closet for a year or so until he was discovered.

Lawson didn't generate nearly as much national attention, and she was tried and convicted rather quietly (except on the local news, where it's been huge). I wonder if that's in part because of the circumstance of the case and trial (which I think are more interesting), or is it because she's black and there's this unspoken perception that black people are expected to do crazy voodoo shit like this, while white women are expected to be like June Cleaver? And so it's more of a shocking outrage when Casey is accused of it.

Casey to many represents malicious intent without proof of guilt, which is pretty simple and well worn cliche.
Latisha represents innocent and good intent that had a horrific result, which is a tragedy much close to our own hearts and more of a moral conundrum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqqwlMTXTyE&feature=relmfu

milranduil
Jul 5, 2011, 11:29 PM
I think the media attention with regard to Casey stemmed from the fact that there were such elaborate (and false) stories and details regarding what actually happened, and because of that, the media swooped in. When there is dead (no pun intended...), obvious evidence present, the media won't go after such a story because it's not exciting enough. I at least think it's safe to say it has nothing to do with color, but rather the minute circumstances and lies being told that attracted the media to the Anthony case.

Mordi
Jul 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7360/caseyelbowdrop.jpg

That wouldn't happen to be the cover of a dual disc american beauty, would it?

SpikeOtacon
Jul 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
That wouldn't happen to be the cover of a dual disc american beauty, would it?

Not that version specifically but a version yes it is that album. :wacko:

Mordi
Jul 7, 2011, 01:55 PM
Not that version specifically but a version yes it is that album. :wacko:

Really? I could've sworn mine came with a 2nd cd with a live version of truckin' and some other songs.

THLPSC
Jul 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
The way I see it is better one guilty person go free rather than one innocent person be found guilty.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jul 7, 2011, 05:29 PM
this is BS, she obviously killed her, but as long as she doesnt do anything like that again, its better she be let free

Shattered_weasel
Jul 8, 2011, 12:12 PM
What happens when a 'jury of your peers' is comprised entirely of avid So You Think You Can Dance fans, fashion vloggers, and people who believe in earnest that Gaga is the Mozart of our time.

(Sorry Luu)

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Akaimizu
Jul 8, 2011, 02:44 PM
It's more of a thing that if she did it, then it's a shame they couldn't get proper evidence to convict her. However, I've seen the exact opposite happen, and you weigh what's worse.

Let's not forget this nice humdinger from 2 years ago, and this is not the only case either.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34467096/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/dna-clears-fla-man-after-years-behind-bars/

They also didn't have clear evidence on the guy, but it certainly got him a conviction. I guess a lawyer could be that good to pull that one off. He must've faced Miles Edgeworth, or the system was *really* screwed up in his case.

Palle
Jul 8, 2011, 06:56 PM
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.
Standing out from the crowd, that's a start. Was it worth a laugh, at least?

;3

Genoa
Jul 16, 2011, 03:48 AM
The U.S. is well known for having one of the most advanced and complex judicial systems in the entire world.
There are thousands of people each day that hope to settle disputes for justice.
What makes our system look so great in comparison to others? It operates with a great deal of success in a country as diverse and massive as the U.S.
We run off an organized and ordered Hierarchy that are composed from many different federal courts that control issues regarding federal law.
Each state has different laws that can better adapt to the peoples needs.

Yes there are a few loopholes in the Judicial system
Yes there are people who take advantage of the system, "Lawsuit Lottery".

But the system works quite well. It's unfortunate when there are cases like this... but you don't really see the thousands of cases each day that serve proper justice. So people only reflect on what's publicised.
So basically it's more of the media that is corrupt than our judicial system.

However, I highly recommend seeing the documentary, Hot Coffee
http://hotcoffeethemovie.com/

But back on topic...
I'm very disappointed in the verdict...
And on an Effed up note....
[SPOILER-BOX]http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-07-07/hmgswhaCBCpyixDJcJCqzsyyeiobzekkwcyBtyEeJvadFtuate sgBmnrGgJh/i-got-99-problems-but-a-kid-aint-one.jpg.scaled500.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UY RT34AOQ&Expires=1310804400&Signature=65TP0s57wLBdgiEHgylSrmnVpv8%3D[/SPOILER-BOX]

CupOfCoffee
Jul 16, 2011, 07:52 AM
I read a few Google news articles about the trial from time to time, but I never was able to get too worked up about it. That said, I'd much rather she go free than to get the death penalty when they couldn't actually prove she committed murder. (Of course, I think it's, what, maybe forty or fifty US women in the last hundred years that have actually been executed? I may be completely wrong on this, but I seem to remember reading someplace that very few women that are sentenced to death in the United States end up getting it.)

I was more interested in how the internet at large got whipped up into such a frenzy over it all. I felt embarrassed for everyone who posted lengthy, weepy Facebook notes about it and everything else. Didn't they realize that they only cared about it because it was on TV a lot?

washuguy
Jul 16, 2011, 08:56 AM
this is BS, she obviously killed her, but as long as she doesnt do anything like that again, its better she be let free

I agree... And if she was guilty, they probably would've killed her and nothing would've been learned. So yeah, I'd rather her go free and hopefully regret what she did, turn to God and dedicate her life to positive service. Can't shake the feeling that something bad is gonna happen to her...

Sinue_v2
Jul 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
However, I highly recommend seeing the documentary, Hot Coffee
http://hotcoffeethemovie.com/

Can you give a quick summary, because if the case being alluded to is the one I'm thinking of, then I don't want to waste time watching a flick about frivolous lawsuits when it's marquee case is anything but frivolous. It has been considered the standard bearer for cash-in bullshit lawsuits, but what most people don't realize is that McDonalds intentionally served their coffee at dangerously high temperatures (190f) under the assumption that commuters would wait till they got to their destination to drink it. Stella Liebeck had to be taken to the hospital for treatment of 2nd & 3rd degree burns along her legs, buttocks, and groin which required her to undergo skin grafting.

----------------------------------

In other news: Crazy bitches pissed off over the Casey A. verdict do crazy shit to people who look like Casey A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IDjB29ZrM

Genoa
Jul 16, 2011, 11:00 PM
Can you give a quick summary, because if the case being alluded to is the one I'm thinking of, then I don't want to waste time watching a flick about frivolous lawsuits when it's marquee case is anything but frivolous. It has been considered the standard bearer for cash-in bullshit lawsuits, but what most people don't realize is that McDonalds intentionally served their coffee at dangerously high temperatures (190f) under the assumption that commuters would wait till they got to their destination to drink it. Stella Liebeck had to be taken to the hospital for treatment of 2nd & 3rd degree burns along her legs, buttocks, and groin which required her to undergo skin grafting.

About:
"The civil justice system has been under heavy attack for over 25 years.

Despite the fact that federal legislation has never been successful, big business interests have won in the hearts and minds of average people. They launched a public relations campaign starting in the mid-80’s and continuing over the last two decades to convince the public that we have out of control juries, too many frivolous lawsuits and a civil justice system that needs reforming. They have used anecdotes, half-truths and sometimes out and out lies in their efforts, for one purpose – to put limits on people’s access to the court system, the one and only place where an average citizen can go toe to toe with those with money and power and still have a shot at justice.

Because of the success of the public relations campaigns, paid for by tobacco, pharmaceutical and insurance companies, to name a few, our civil justice system is not impartial. Jurors have been led to believe that a large verdict will affect their pocketbooks. Voters believe that we have a court system out of control that needs reforming. Although there are consumer advocacy groups who have attempted to set the story straight, there has yet to be enough money to launch the kind of public relations campaign for consumers that can even begin to combat and challenge the public relations campaigns of pro-business and tort reform groups. Over the last few years, however, documentary films and independent film festivals have become a vehicle for alternative ideas to get a public forum.

Because almost everyone has heard about the McDonald’s coffee case, and most people believe they know what it’s about, this project has a fascination for people. Of course, we go much further into the debate than just the McDonald’s coffee case, but the case is a vehicle for people to think about their long held beliefs and whether they are valid. We think this movie has the potential, with the right funding and effort, to really change the way people think about our civil justice system and access to the courts"

They actually defend Stella Liebeck and her case.
It's used as an introduction because most people thought the case was just a bunch of BS and she was cashing in big through the courts...
But then they go on to how she was justified in doing so and why she was awarded so much.
Then it goes into other cases showing just how much power big business really have in our court systems now.
It was very eye opening.

Volcompat321
Jul 17, 2011, 02:07 AM
I want to know if any of yous guys remember the Scott Peterson trial a while back...

It was pretty much the same damn thing(although it was his wife, and unborn) and he got convicted.

Not enough evidence for a conviction IMO, but I wasn't a juror or judge.

I think him being a man, and a woman beater and a cheater made the jury overlook the lack of evidence.

Yea, he was an asshole, but possibly not a murderer.

Ryno
Jul 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
These local criminals like Casey anthony. Just wants to become a celebrity criminal world wide. Lol( inside joke)