PDA

View Full Version : cheating in all its forms

brillyfresh
Mar 16, 2003, 12:27 AM
i may not have made many posts here, but i have certainly been lurking for a while, reading other ppl's posts ... i'd just like to add my two bits to many questions and opinions addressed in this section

On cheating:

> do i know how to cheat in pso?

no, although i may have ideas on how, i don't think i would follow through with them. i have certainly heard about all the horror stories from the dc version, though i never played the dc pso.

i did, however, play a lot of the original Diablo on battle.net, which was probably the first big hacked-to-hell online game. from Dhack to Bobafett's Trainer, there was almost nothing that couldn't be "enhanced" in this game. i should know, i eventually became one of the cheaters, after being continuously pk'ed and losing every legit item i had earned. i then turned to cheating to counteract this, using an anti-pk code that would cause the pk'er to be logged off battle.net. a minor inconvenience at most, but no harm done.

in no less than two months, i was duping everything i got my hands on, had the best equipment for my rogue, and could wipe the boards with her. in another couple months, i didn't even play it anymore. it got old. it caused me, among other reasons, to not graduate from high school (i know what you're saying, OMG!!!), and for that reason, i decided not to play another fully addicting online game again ... until my roommate got the GC PSO ...
anyway ...

> would i cheat?

for SELECT reasons ... NEVER, and i mean NEVER, to harm someone else's playing experience online, like NOLing and whatnot, but i see no problem with creating a backup of my character/s, in case of SOD or corruption ... yes, that opens possibilities for duping, but no one wants to pay for a $50 game, a ~$30 bba, an $8.95/month HL, an optional $20-120 keyboard (Datel's a lifesaver), all for their $150 system, create multiple characters with total playing times of 500+ hours of LIFE, ... to see it all vanish in the blink of an eye, just because ST has a few "inconvenient bugs" that just happen to destroy all the time and effort put in to a character

and then, to add insult to injury, and in a desperate attempt to retrieve a fraction of what was lost, the player trades to get items back, only to be snubbed, laughed at, and labeled a noob by someone who considers their obviously duped BKB +80 or 20% Native Double Cannon to be worth every one of the 12 stars they have ... IMO, ST should have done this, although i have no idea how: every time an item is duped, one star gets taken from it ... now there would be an easier way of tracking legits and dupes

> do i use any duped items?

most likely, except for my luminous field ... i'm proud to have found that in ult. mines ... as for the others ...

> why on earth would i use that duped item/s???

well here's why:

> was the item i traded to get my current item duped?

probably

> was the item i traded to get that one duped?

probably

etc.
etc.
etc.

> was the item i traded to get that one duped?

NO WAY!! i put a lot of time and effort into finding that item, so i consider it to be worth its weight in gold for trading or using

> my verdict on duping and cheating in general?

that's up to you ... maybe using a dupe would lessen the playability and fun and challenge in the game, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. i personally don't have a problem with people using dupes, myself being one of them, as long as they are not taking fun away from anyone else online. as for them taking away their own fun, let them decide, and don't decide for them or judge them, unless you want to take away from their fun, and if that's your purpose, then why don't you just NOL them huh?

and as for other methods of cheating, like NOLing, remember what happened to DC PSO? locked games, wasted characters and VMUs ... i don't want to see that happen to GC version

> final thoughts?

remember, it's just a game, there's a life outside of pso, and above all, JUST HAVE FUN!

peace

*steps down off the soapbox*

Ryo_Hayasa
Mar 16, 2003, 10:43 PM
Well said my friend well said, though speaking on behalf of unknown players

"do you really expect us to....go...outside? i mean where the sun is?"

i feel as if
"cheating in a ame is ok by yourself, but when cheating effects everyone in a bad way you shouldn't to it and it's wrong, and if noling comes back..i might have to quit PSO that or ask to be Sonic/Rico NOLed @_@ just to see what it's like"