PDA

View Full Version : PSO2?

Aerilas
Jul 10, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ok now I want everybody's opinion.

Is this game PSO2? or PSU2.
So far I've seen nearly nothing about this game that's anything like PSO.
Gameplay; PSU.
Characters: a damn lot more like PSU than PSO.
I've heard nothing of challenge mode yet, idk about battle mode.
and I could go on.

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2011, 06:01 PM
Well, that's because SEGA is smart enough to realize that a 10-year-old game's formula simply will not hold up in today's extremely competitive (M)MORPG market.

I think it was Alnet that said:

"PSO2 =/= PSO HD Remix"

Aerilas
Jul 10, 2011, 06:04 PM
I don't mean for it to be exactly like PSO. I never said that.
But it's more than obvious that this game is simply a sequel to PSU rather than PSO.

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
Not exactly. It's got features from PSO, and PSU/P2/i.

My opinion is forget the nostalgia. By looking at PSO2 thus far, it's glaringly obvious that SEGA isn't trying to cater to the hardcore PSO fans of yesteryear. Look at PSO2 as a completely new experience, because that's what it's meant to be.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 10, 2011, 06:19 PM
And here we go again! > >

I really like how the game is looking so far.

Tetsaru
Jul 10, 2011, 06:26 PM
This argument again? REALLY? There needs to be a rule against this or something; it's happened WAAAAAY too many times... :rolleyes:

inb4lock

Someone give us some new info on this game, geez.

Angelo
Jul 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
I loved PSO to death, but if a game came out today that played like PSO... I don't care how pretty it looks, I wouldn't play it.

PhotonDrop
Jul 10, 2011, 06:46 PM
You are all very silly.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jul 10, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ohi same old pointless Argument! Good to see you again.

Just because a game is a sequel to another does not mean it's going to have the same or even similar content. A sequel is traditionally defined as taking place in the same world or following the same basic story. And since we know nothing of the stary we can't make this assumption with any credibility.

As Olaf said, if they didn't add some of the PSU elements they would be shooting themselves in the foot by upsetting a large chunck of their fanbase who never played PSO, and most of us rational fans want to see a brand ndw game, not a complete rehash of the old one, despite how much we loved it.

I'll leave you with a little advice, instead of creeating a topic that has already been beaten into the ground and only serves to stir up angry emotions, wait until we have enough info about the game to accurately make assumptions like this since all we have are promises and a few screenshots.

HappyPenguin
Jul 11, 2011, 01:28 AM
Does it really matter? Your lucky to be getting PSO2 heck we will be lucky to get PSO2 on consoles im not trying too be mean

•Col•
Jul 11, 2011, 01:34 AM
Does it really matter? Your lucky to be getting PSO2 heck we will be lucky to get PSO2 on consoles im not trying too be mean

That would actually be unlucky for us.

pikachief
Jul 11, 2011, 01:49 AM
PSO2 =/= Sequel to PSO lol

Different story and setting from PSO and PSU but they share things from all the phantasy star games. I'm sure it was only called PSO2 so that they could get more people interested in it, because no matter how good it looks, the name PSO would draw more attention to it than anything else.

RemiusTA
Jul 11, 2011, 01:53 AM

Gameplay; PSU.
and I could go on.

More like this.

Gameplay: Modern PSO

Characters : PSO but more modern (PSU)

nobody here knows about any modes except hack and slash.

The game is going to resemble PSO more than PSU, but you are gonna have to know where to look. Please realize, PSO is a game that is ELEVEN years old -- no matter how addictive PSO's original battle engine is, it just simply is not going to draw any attention in the MMO market anymore.

Also, you should probably look closer and realize that this game is actually farther from PSU than PSU is from PSO. They added a jumping mechanic, and the original Photon Art method (APPARENTLY along with the Action Pallete) is now gone, and the battle engine has been completely revamped. Targeting system seems to be more PSO-esque, as well as the class system, artstyle and overall appearance.

Of course, it's going to be farther from PSO than anything, but like we said before....PSO is eleven years old. It's PSO's sequel, but...for the third time, PSO hasn't seen a sequel in 11 years. Please realize, 11 years ago I was fucking 9 years old. It is a big number. It isn't like bringing 2D Mario into 2.5D Mario. They're bringing an old 3-hit Hack and Slash formula from the year 2000 into a time where Sora fucking flies, cuts buildings in half and throws them at your face.

Malachite
Jul 11, 2011, 06:07 AM

Gameplay; PSU.
and I could go on.

"It's not PSO unless it plays like a game from 10 years ago" is pretty much what you're saying.

So basically, you're one of those people who won't be happy unless they make a game that is 100% the same as PSO, but with shiny graphics? The same stiff gameplay, and ten year old mechanics? Well okay, go download Blueburst, and play it in HD. There's your PSO2.

The rest of us however will be enjoying our new version of PSO. See, this game looks far more like PSO than it does PSU. The only reason you think the gameplay looks like PSU is because the gameplay is modern, whereas PSO is ancient and extremely outdated. But hey, if you want everything to remain exactly the same for ridiculous, nostalgic purposes, then be my guest and play outdated, decade old games forever.

As for the characters supposedly looking more like PSU than PSO, I have to assume you're just straight up blind or ignorant, as the majority of characters are copypasta from PSO, with some added armor.

Enough with this old, tired, stupid argument.

Or maybe you're just a troll... in which case, congrats.

Genoa
Jul 14, 2011, 03:36 AM
What most people THINK they want:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8686/lolzxx.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

What's actually coming:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://phantasystarlegacy.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/btn_pso2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

THLPSC
Jul 14, 2011, 03:47 AM
Rather have it be a mix of everything rather that an outdated game mechanics.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
I just want a fun Online Action RPG ta play with people. Fun like Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Portable 2.
Considering the gameplay video, there's a high chance of that happening.

Natey009
Jul 22, 2011, 01:09 PM
Ohi same old pointless Argument! Good to see you again.

Just because a game is a sequel to another does not mean it's going to have the same or even similar content. A sequel is traditionally defined as taking place in the same world or following the same basic story. And since we know nothing of the stary we can't make this assumption with any credibility.

As Olaf said, if they didn't add some of the PSU elements they would be shooting themselves in the foot by upsetting a large chunck of their fanbase who never played PSO, and most of us rational fans want to see a brand ndw game, not a complete rehash of the old one, despite how much we loved it.

I'll leave you with a little advice, instead of creeating a topic that has already been beaten into the ground and only serves to stir up angry emotions, wait until we have enough info about the game to accurately make assumptions like this since all we have are promises and a few screenshots.

Tell it like it is!

ShadowDragon28
Jul 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
Give me awesome looking MAGs one can evolve into different forms, and the option to have black armor with dark grey trim and I'm good to go....

The OP seemed kind of like trolling to me.

Guyan
Jul 26, 2011, 01:29 AM
Not exactly. It's got features from PSO, and PSU/P2/i.

My opinion is forget the nostalgia. By looking at PSO2 thus far, it's glaringly obvious that SEGA isn't trying to cater to the hardcore PSO fans of yesteryear. Look at PSO2 as a completely new experience, because that's what it's meant to be.

Totally agree with u foget the past look towards the future (But they should have the classes from PSO and not that stuff from PSU)

r00tabaga
Jul 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
Obvious trolling attempt. Never seen a clearer case. Well, maybe except for that one thread by PSOPurist.

Tyreek
Jul 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
Beating the dead horse until its skin falls off. But at least its not "this thread".

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189443

yoshiblue
Jul 26, 2011, 04:42 AM
Well based on the videos, It has shown to keep the look of PSO(sort of) with a fresh new look on everything else. How about them apples!

Tyreek
Jul 26, 2011, 04:46 AM
And hopefully what was seen is enough to make both sides be quiet about it.

... But time will tell.

Dabian
Jul 26, 2011, 06:36 AM
To those who want and have been raving about a "return to PSO"....boot up PSO, play it. Now sincerely ask yourself....are you sure you want to play THAT again?

I enjoyed PSO...alot. But that was 10 years ago, and during that time, the bar has been raised. My expectations too have shifted accordingly.