PDA

View Full Version : Server Population: Home region only or International?

D-Inferno
Jul 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
In PSO DC(and I think Gamecube, correct me on this one), servers were shared between Western, Eastern, and European players. In the US, it was even one of the selling points of the game(that one ad).

However, starting with I think Blue Burst(might have been Xbox), servers became restricted to your nation only(though I don't know if US and Europe shared servers). All Phantasy Star Universe series games were the same. Phantasy Star Zero however had shared servers, although PSZ wasn't a very big game.

Do you think servers should be shared? I think that they should generally be shared, but perhaps there should also be a "Home region only" server alongside an "International" server. That way, those who do not like playing with players from a different region can just play on the home region server.

Malachite
Jul 11, 2011, 07:35 AM
I believe that they should all be shared, the way the DC/GCN were. It's also quite likely that PSO2 will be shared in some sense, but no confirmation yet, unless I've missed something.

Seth Astra
Jul 11, 2011, 02:10 PM
Shared servers. Plus, as many have pointed out, that might mean Europe and the Americas might bet to be on par with Japan in terms of updates.

RemiusTA
Jul 11, 2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, shared. Communication Barriers can be undone with some simple universal chat macros.

BIG OLAF
Jul 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm sure PSO2 will have one massive global server, since it's going to be on the PC. SEGA would just be giving themselves more work (and less customers) if they separated the servers.

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
Absolutely shared, multiple servers in regional sections though.
Would this also mean word select would make a comeback? Are there any new innovative ways to communicate or translate languages, for players now days?

THLPSC
Jul 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
Absolutely shared, multiple servers in regional sections though.
Would this also mean word select would make a comeback? Are there any new innovative ways to communicate or translate languages, for players now days?

Not like they had "world select" in any of there recent titles /sarcasm

moorebounce
Jul 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm sure one of Sega's points to making it PC only was to have everybody on one server like the other before me have said. I actually enjoyed playing with players from different countries on the DC version.

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
I haven't played the PSP one, is there a word select?
The "comeback" I'm referring to is PSO, which is what this game is supposed to be based on.

blace
Jul 11, 2011, 02:40 PM
I haven't played the PSP one, is there a word select?
Sure there is, just needs you to get 2 games of the same name. /sarcasm

BIG OLAF
Jul 11, 2011, 02:41 PM

He said "WORD" select. Not "WORLD" select.

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
@Sun, I apologize for the derailment of your thread.

If we have international, will that help lure people away from PSU? As I assume both games will be running at the same time. But do Japanese players really want to play with players from the Xbox Live community anyway? (They are a wild bunch)

-Remember the early days of PSU when the servers would crash over the littlest things like: excessive lobby spamming of text. ...Good times. =)

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 11, 2011, 03:15 PM
Shared, of course!

D-Inferno
Jul 11, 2011, 03:22 PM
I think that when PSO2 comes around, PSU will probably just slowly die off. And there is nothing saying that PSO2 will come to Xbox; after all, FFXIV was only PS3 and PC.

My idea is that there are many different ships, some which are international, some which are Japan only, and some that are US/EU only, or other language specific servers. That way, if one does not want to play with players from other countries, they can use a ship that only allows their country. If they feel like playing with many different kinds of players though, they could always hop on an International ship.

Seth Astra
Jul 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
I think that when PSO2 comes around, PSU will probably just slowly die off. And there is nothing saying that PSO2 will come to Xbox; after all, FFXIV was only PS3 and PC.

My idea is that there are many different ships, some which are international, some which are Japan only, and some that are US/EU only, or other language specific servers. That way, if one does not want to play with players from other countries, they can use a ship that only allows their country. If they feel like playing with many different kinds of players though, they could always hop on an International ship.
Quoted because I really like this idea.

THLPSC
Jul 11, 2011, 03:29 PM

Considering BlueBurst lasted till this year to get shutdown in Japan I would have to say PSU will be around for awhile longer.

D-Inferno
Jul 11, 2011, 03:33 PM
They won't shut it down(at least in Japan), but it's server population will likely drop drastically.

How's the current server population for PSU on Xbox 360? As in, how many players are online on average?

Darki
Jul 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
I don't care what language they're talking, but I hope there are enough "universes" or whatever they call them this time so I can run away from spam-tards and other trash population of the server.

Tetsaru
Jul 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
Part of PSU's downfall was due to the "segregation" of all the consoles' and regions' servers. It will be critical for PSO2's developers to fix this problem in order for the game to be truly successful.

after all, FFXIV was only PS3 and PC.

FFXIV still hasn't been released for PS3 yet, although it WAS planned. Probably because the newer development team is still having to correct the mistakes of the first team... :(

I would be cool with this, as long as everyone got the same treatment in terms of content and updates. Having options is always a good thing.

I don't care what language they're talking, but I hope there are enough "universes" or whatever they call them this time so I can run away from spam-tards and other trash population of the server.

I think the best solution to this would be to have a better blacklisting system - one that not only blocks the person's chat functions, but also hides their character from your view and prevents them from targeting you or anything related to you (such as accessing your room or shop, etc.). I fucking hated it when people would do nothing but chase your ass down and try to "nanoblast" you... It's like they had nothing better to do. :nono: Owait, that was PSU - there wasn't anything to do. :wacko:

Darki
Jul 12, 2011, 12:32 AM
^They better make the BL max size very, VERY big.

RemiusTA
Jul 12, 2011, 12:38 AM
I don't think server stress or anything would be too big of an issue...

...I dont even think PLAYER stress would be that big of an issue. Where I live, if it's 2:00 PM in Atlanta, Georgia, it's like 2:10 AM in Tokyo, Japan. Our time differences will probably seperate the lot of us.

Perhaps they could introduce a feature to have a "mission counter" in private areas, like your room or something. As much as i HATED PSU's multiple mission counter idea, it's wonderful for splitting traffic up. When i think about how trashy PSU's mission counters were with it, i also think about how drab it would have been were it removed.

That's something they're gonna have to look into. I'd like them to eliminate "Hot Spots", but i'd also not like to be either a) severely isolated or b) severely crowded. Chat Spamming was hella fun, but not when you were just trying to have a normal conversation with people. Then it got annoying.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
I'd like them to eliminate "Hot Spots", but i'd also not like to be either a) severely isolated or b) severely crowded. Chat Spamming was hella fun, but not when you were just trying to have a normal conversation with people. Then it got annoying.

Very true. I don't know about the other people but I don't want another White Beast.

Yeah chat spamming was damn funny but ya're right, it would be impossible ta have a conversation with someone who wasn't in your party.

Tetsaru
Jul 13, 2011, 06:52 AM
Yeah chat spamming was damn funny but ya're right, it would be impossible ta have a conversation with someone who wasn't in your party.

This is kinda why I wish PSO/PSU didn't use the whole comic book style chat bubbles, and kept everything organized in a box at the bottom of the screen or something. The bubbles were cute and everything, but they tended to obscure your view sometimes, and when people started doing the spam bullshit, it was like getting on Internet Explorer and going to the most pop-up ridden website you could find... :rolleyes: The cut-in face chat was bad too because it could cause slowdown and lag for people, but at least they stayed in one corner of the screen most of the time, out of the way.

PSO2 just needs a good set of chat filters and modes than can be toggled on or off: one for party chat, one for guilds, one for talking to people around you, one for private chat with one person, and one for "shouting" to everyone in the same area. If they bring back cut-in (most likely, judging from the video) and/or picture chat again, then there should be filters for those as well. On top of that, you could have your translated auto-texts (like FFXI and FFXIV do) for talking to foreign people, as well as a profanity filter if necessary (one that isn't retarded though).

Oh, another thing - fucking word wrap.

My text chat sh
ouldn't look lik
e this all the t
ime. :rolleyes:

RemiusTA
Jul 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
I despise traditional MMO-style chat boxes. They're so drab :/

I always loved PSO for actually getting the chat bubble system down correctly. I have no clue why PSU didn't word wrap, though -- PSOBB did it just fine.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 13, 2011, 05:29 PM
Well I think the chat rectangle bubble things are fine on PSO2. On the video they don't seem big at all.

Edit: Oh I just checked the video again right now and looks fine for me. Your character face shows up in a rectangle and that's from where the ballon pops up. The size looks fine, doesn't take up much screen space at all.

Tetsaru
Jul 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
If they had an option to toggle between the bubble chat and having a simple, organized chat box, I'd be cool with that. I just hate seeing huge, stretched out bubbles moving around randomly across the screen when players and the camera moves too, because it sometimes makes spotting enemies and other important things difficult for me, especially when I'm sniping in first-person view. Part of that might've been the fact that PC PSU didn't support very high resolutions, though. And besides, you're not going to see bubbles if you need to view the chat history - it's going to be in a BOX where it's properly organized and readable. I remember it being that way in both PSO and PSU. I understand the nostalgia and appeal of the bubbles and the anime-like face chats and everything, but that's all it is to me. I don't see it being very practical, save for MAYBE getting across language barriers, but again, a good auto-translate function like FFXI's/FFXIV's would fix that.

Either that, or just have voice chat. If it stays on PC, me and my friends will be on Teamspeak anyway, lol.

Ellrick C-63
Jul 13, 2011, 08:12 PM
A thing that really bugs me about PSU chat is that there is no option to turn off the damn language filter. Im tired of seeing !@#&*)@#!*@#&!@*# all the time.

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2011, 08:17 PM
A thing that really bugs me about PSU chat is that there is no option to turn off the damn language filter. Im tired of seeing !@#&*)@#!*@#&!@*# all the time.

I thought that the PSU chat filter was on Microsoft's end, though. Either way, it would be nice to have a surefire way to turn all chat filtering to "off."

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
I don't have any nostalgia from PSU or from PSO even. They were great games that I enjoyed a lot, like a ton of other games out there. I might have a little bit from PSU but that's thanks to the great and funny moments I had with internet friends on there. I'm sure I'll have those in PSO2 as well.
I just enjoy games for what they are. Adventure, Beat 'em up, Role Playing Game, Third Person Action Game, Racing, Shoot-'Em-Up, etc & etc. As long as it's fun I'll play it! :>

I'm hoping that we'll be able ta play PSO2 together in the near future at some point, Tetsaru.

Mike
Jul 13, 2011, 08:24 PM
Let's not forget that PSO had a filter too.

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2011, 08:32 PM
Either that, or just have voice chat. If it stays on PC, me and my friends will be on Teamspeak anyway, lol.

My friends and I will most likely just be using our Xbox LIVE headsets to talk, even if PSO2 has it's own voice functionality. That will be the easiest way for us, since we all already know each other on there, and all have our computers right next to our Xbox/TV. Besides, I'm not too keen on vocally communicating to people I don't know very well, so I think that setup will work fine.

RemiusTA
Jul 13, 2011, 10:19 PM
It probably will. I wont use it that much, because i usually dont feel like talking to people (and i type pretty damn fast, which is why my posts are usually so wtfmassive).

There's no reason PSO2 shouldn't have voice chat, but something tells me it wont. Dunno how the Japanese roll.

yoshiblue
Jul 13, 2011, 10:47 PM
As far as I hear, I don't think they would use head sets. I have been told that they are pushed to go outside so I would imagine portable gaming to be popular in Japan. That and with their cafes, they would be close to each other or would be to noisy to talk to one another. I could be wrong however due to me never setting foot in Japan.

Jade DaBain
Jul 16, 2011, 04:12 AM
Im hoping that PSO2 will have shared regions, like Final Fantasy XI has. The reason being that it would bring different people from all over the world together and allow others to learn new things and stuff from the different parts of the planet. Besides, wouldnt you like to have friends from around the world? I know I would.

Genoa
Jul 16, 2011, 04:24 AM
I think that they should generally be shared, but perhaps there should also be a "Home region only" server alongside an "International" server. That way, those who do not like playing with players from a different region can just play on the home region server.

Our credibility with Japan isn't exactly good, as far as shared servers is concerned.
I mean lets face it... we ruined a lot of their fun.
Okay, not "we" in particular... but who primarily hacked and exploited the game's glitches more often?
Yeah... I wouldn't care too much to share either seeing the game series is HUGE in Japan alone. They don't need us and they know they don't need us.

But yes, I very much agree with your idea.
It basically solves that problem I just listed above (for the most part).

But don't be surprised if they do not create shared servers...

Jade DaBain
Jul 16, 2011, 04:37 AM
Our credibility with Japan isn't exactly good, as far as shared servers is concerned.
Okay, not "we" in particular... but who primarily hacked and exploited the game's glitches more often?
Yeah... I wouldn't care too much to share either seeing the game series is HUGE in Japan alone. They don't need us and they know they don't need us.

But yes, I very much agree with your idea.
It basically solves that problem I just listed above (for the most part).

But don't be surprised if they do not create shared servers...

True, people from Japan dont always like playing with foreigners. It does have to do because of the cheaters and hackers, but also due to the fact that most dont know a second language and when someone who speaks English talks to them, they dont know what to say and it scares them. They dont want to be rude or anything but they just dont know what to do. Thats why they try to avoid being around people from another country.

Genoa
Jul 16, 2011, 04:44 AM
Generally, the Japanese are a little more... reserved... around foreigners.
A majority of that influence is their culture, despite how much influence Europe, Asia, and even North America have invested in it.

Jade DaBain
Jul 16, 2011, 04:59 AM
Every culture is different. Its understanding it thats the key.

darkepyonuk
Jul 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
as far as i can remember, in pso for DC, i went to a japanese lobby a couple of times, never went online on the GC version, or online on PSU for that matter, but psp2 was shared between all but japan, china etc so they may just make seperate servers for each country or somthing, if thats the case that would be awesome :D

•Col•
Jul 16, 2011, 02:46 PM

Japanese players "hacked" just as much as us. Dunno why you think they didn't.

Not like it matters, anyway. It only takes a handful of players hacking to ruin a game economy.

D-Inferno
Jul 16, 2011, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah, I also remembered a possibly issue: Promotional clothes/weapons/ect for JP players, but can't be done in the US due to license issues. I'm not sure how often PSU did stuff like this though. US/ect players could probably just see the JP-only weapons as something else.

RemiusTA
Jul 16, 2011, 06:21 PM
I LOL my ass off when people say we cheat more than the JP players do.

What?

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 16, 2011, 06:50 PM
They cheat as much as we do, don't they?

yoshiblue
Jul 16, 2011, 06:55 PM
Tell that to the monster hunter communittee. Tell the Japanese its impossible, a vid will come out soon after.

iBaylin
Jul 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
Do you think servers should be shared? I think that they should generally be shared, but perhaps there should also be a "Home region only" server alongside an "International" server. That way, those who do not like playing with players from a different region can just play on the home region server.

Having both is actually a good idea for the very reason you said. I like that idea.

Randomness
Jul 16, 2011, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah, I also remembered a possibly issue: Promotional clothes/weapons/ect for JP players, but can't be done in the US due to license issues. I'm not sure how often PSU did stuff like this though. US/ect players could probably just see the JP-only weapons as something else.

Yeah, set em to a special skin of the default. (So you can tell who's using promotional stuff and who's just using newbie stuff)

T_Esquire
Jul 18, 2011, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I'd like shared servers but it's not going to happen. PSO:BB set a precedent that continued through the whole of the PSU line, including it's derivative Portable titles. And yes, the reason is the malicious use of cheat devices. Not saying the Japanese didn't also partake of the cheats, but they weren't the ones dropping infinite telepipes, FSODs, Nolling and the like. They were content with just duping and tweaking weapon percentages. It's that distinction that ruined Sega's opinion of US players. Ruined it for good, as can be attested by anyone who's played PSO from the beginning (like myself). I mean, where's our PS:P2I? It's not happening is where it is.

Now, with all the hype working up around PSO2 they can't not release it here, but personally I don't see the servers being integrated at all. They're going to be segregated like PSU's, they will be shut down in the US within a few short years and there's little we can do about it.

•Col•
Jul 18, 2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I'd like shared servers but it's not going to happen. PSO:BB set a precedent that continued through the whole of the PSU line, including it's derivative Portable titles. And yes, the reason is the malicious use of cheat devices. Not saying the Japanese didn't also partake of the cheats, but they weren't the ones dropping infinite telepipes, FSODs, Nolling and the like. They were content with just duping and tweaking weapon percentages. It's that distinction that ruined Sega's opinion of US players. Ruined it for good, as can be attested by anyone who's played PSO from the beginning (like myself). I mean, where's our PS:P2I? It's not happening is where it is.

Now, with all the hype working up around PSO2 they can't not release it here, but personally I don't see the servers being integrated at all. They're going to be segregated like PSU's, they will be shut down in the US within a few short years and there's little we can do about it.

All wrong.

Japanese players were just as bad as us. I don't see why people keep saying they weren't.

Yeah, the US most likely isn't getting PS:P2I.... Because not as many people bought the original game as they would have liked. PARTLY their own fault though, because the code they integrated in it to prevent people from illegally using a digital copy of the game online didn't work itself.

And you think they shut down the US PSU PC servers just because we're in a different part of the world or how we may act? Hell no. It was shut down because there weren't enough players and they were losing money from it at that point. If what you were saying was true, they would have also shut the Xbox servers down along with it.

Anyway, having a universal server would be beneficial to them in some cases. Like, for instance, where the number of players from a certain part of the world declines like what happened with PSU. Not to mention that it actually helps to prevent players from leaving. A lot of people started leaving PSU simply because everyone else had left or was leaving. It got to the point where you literally had no one to play with.

Whatever, I'm going to bed now.

Jade DaBain
Jul 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
All wrong.

Japanese players were just as bad as us. I don't see why people keep saying they weren't.

Yeah, the US most likely isn't getting PS:P2I.... Because not as many people bought the original game as they would have liked. PARTLY their own fault though, because the code they integrated in it to prevent people from illegally using a digital copy of the game online didn't work itself.

And you think they shut down the US PSU PC servers just because we're in a different part of the world or how we may act? Hell no. It was shut down because there weren't enough players and they were losing money from it at that point. If what you were saying was true, they would have also shut the Xbox servers down along with it.

Anyway, having a universal server would be beneficial to them in some cases. Like, for instance, where the number of players from a certain part of the world declines like what happened with PSU. Not to mention that it actually helps to prevent players from leaving. A lot of people started leaving PSU simply because everyone else had left or was leaving. It got to the point where you literally had no one to play with.

Whatever, I'm going to bed now.

It can be possible that Sega killed the PSU servers due to lack of player support. I know that the lobbies were pretty much ghost towns around the time Sega decided to announce the servers closing. I can also agree that if a player sees an empty game, the player will most likely not continue to play due to lack of people to play with. Thats why having a shared server is such a good idea. It would be hard to have empty lobbies in a game that the whole world shares the server unless the whole world doesnt play the game.

blazingsonic
Jul 18, 2011, 02:20 PM

Didn't people say PSPo2 wasn't coming to the US? Well looks like it did, people are claiming PSPo2i isn't coming to US, well that's jumping the gun and here's why, PSPo2i isn't even a year old in Japan yet, plus there's the PS Vita coming out. plus Sega getting hacked, so there's alot going at Sega right now, You can't say PSPo2i is coming to US BUT you can't say the opposite either, It's like GLaDOS's cat in the box theory, if you put a cat in a sealed box and pump it with neural toxin, The cat will can confimed both dead or alive until she opens the box, So with that PSPo2i is either coming to the US or not, we won't know unless Sega informs us.

•Col•
Jul 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Didn't people say PSPo2 wasn't coming to the US? Well looks like it did, people are claiming PSPo2i isn't coming to US, well that's jumping the gun and here's why, PSPo2i isn't even a year old in Japan yet, plus there's the PS Vita coming out. plus Sega getting hacked, so there's alot going at Sega right now, You can't say PSPo2i is coming to US BUT you can't say the opposite either, It's like GLaDOS's cat in the box theory, if you put a cat in a sealed box and pump it with neural toxin, The cat will can confimed both dead or alive until she opens the box, So with that PSPo2i is either coming to the US or not, we won't know unless Sega informs us.

Sega has said that they have no plans to bring PSP2i to the US. Sucks, I know.

It's possible they could still eventually bring it... But the PSP is kinda on it's way out already... So it's looking extremely doubtful.

RemiusTA
Jul 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
seriously, what makes people say the Japanese dont cheat on the games they play? What, like we just are 1) cheaters and 2) so much super smarter than them to find holes in their own games?

No, lol. We both cheat. The only difference between us is probably 1) the language barrier and 2) cheating for them MIGHT hold a steeper price, since a few games make you give your address. But just like WE can play by forging an address, so can they (obviously), and so this makes no difference.

I know nothing about JP games so ill stop now.

D-Inferno
Jul 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
PSP2i is probably not coming to the US because...

1: PSP2 didn't sell well.
2: PSP2i was announced before PSP2 was released in the US
3: I could be wrong on this, but the PSP is probably the least favorable console to be owned by a PSO, Sonic, or SEGA in general fan, and certainly is not what people would buy for an MMORPG-like game. I personly actually brought a PSP just for PSP2, only to sell it later on.
4: PSP2i itself is just an expansion pack that happens to be given a full game price.
5: PSO2's existance kills any interest it PSP2.
6: Least likely of them all, but people probably assocate PSP2/ect with PSU, which might be assocated with a certain other Sonic Team game released in the same year as PSU.

RemiusTA
Jul 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
PSP2 isn't coming here because the USA is not Japan. It's as simple as that.

PSP2 and PSP2i are freaking cash cows because they're basically the videogame version of Hannah Montana over there in Japan. Campy as shit, but profitable like a motha.

I really just wish Japan would go back to not worrying about hiring new Voice Actors, so they can just translate text and the conversion over here would cost less. Maybe that might help it a bit.

(or they can just be like SEGA and one-up the laziness and just delete the voice tracks alltogether. TROLOOLOLOL)

blazingsonic
Jul 18, 2011, 10:18 PM
PSP2i is probably not coming to the US because...

1: PSP2 didn't sell well.
2: PSP2i was announced before PSP2 was released in the US
3: I could be wrong on this, but the PSP is probably the least favorable console to be owned by a PSO, Sonic, or SEGA in general fan, and certainly is not what people would buy for an MMORPG-like game. I personly actually brought a PSP just for PSP2, only to sell it later on.
4: PSP2i itself is just an expansion pack that happens to be given a full game price.
5: PSO2's existance kills any interest it PSP2.
6: Least likely of them all, but people probably assocate PSP2/ect with PSU, which might be assocated with a certain other Sonic Team game released in the same year as PSU.

All of that sounds too much like fanbase based input.

Sega has said that they have no plans to bring PSP2i to the US. Sucks, I know.

It's possible they could still eventually bring it... But the PSP is kinda on it's way out already... So it's looking extremely doubtful.

Now when was that stated? And howcome no one mentions the fact that Vita can play digital PSP games, and if PSP2i is an expansion then they can still sell it on PSN.

PSP2 isn't coming here because the USA is not Japan. It's as simple as that.

PSP2 and PSP2i are freaking cash cows because they're basically the videogame version of Hannah Montana over there in Japan. Campy as shit, but profitable like a motha.

I really just wish Japan would go back to not worrying about hiring new Voice Actors, so they can just translate text and the conversion over here would cost less. Maybe that might help it a bit.

(or they can just be like SEGA and one-up the laziness and just delete the voice tracks alltogether. TROLOOLOLOL)

I'm sorry but I can not take that one seriously.

If Sega of Japan were that lazy PSP and PSP2 wouldn't have been made for the US and EU

•Col•
Jul 18, 2011, 10:39 PM
Now when was that stated? And howcome no one mentions the fact that Vita can play digital PSP games, and if PSP2i is an expansion then they can still sell it on PSN.

I'll just link to the original post...

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2641835#post2641835

blazingsonic
Jul 18, 2011, 11:15 PM
I was all over that topic, one of the things I noticed in the topic was that person who made that topic kept ducking the question of rather or not he was at E3, He put in no effort to prove himself.

•Col•
Jul 19, 2011, 01:39 AM
I was all over that topic, one of the things I noticed in the topic was that person who made that topic kept ducking the question of rather or not he was at E3, He put in no effort to prove himself.

I fail to see what he stood to gain by lying.

Even if he was just trolling, there weren't any lulz to be garnered.

Jade DaBain
Jul 19, 2011, 02:02 AM
Ummmmm..... Didnt this topic end up going off topic?

Finalzone
Jul 23, 2011, 04:31 PM
On top of that, you could have your translated auto-texts (like FFXI and FFXIV do) for talking to foreign people, as well as a profanity filter if necessary (one that isn't retarded though).

PSO series (at least the Dreamcast) has auto-translate text not only for Japanese speakers, but also French, Spanish, Portuguese. That was one part PSU lacked and hopefully PSO2 will address that issue.

On PS2 and PC part, that was Sega America own fault for mismanaging PSU from day one, te decline of players was the consequence of such actions. I do not blame other stuffs like RubyEclipse, they did what they could do. Segregating servers in 21st Century was the most retarded decision compared to other MMO like FFXI which got shared servers worldwide.

Lot of PSU features were left untouched in term of lobby,

Jade DaBain
Jul 24, 2011, 01:42 AM
PSO series (at least the Dreamcast) has auto-translate text not only for Japanese speakers, but also French, Spanish, Portuguese. That was one part PSU lacked and hopefully PSO2 will address that issue.

I could agree that Sega could have done a better job in making the game translate for people who cant speak the language being spoken to them. There were many times when I played PSU that someone talked to me in a language I didnt know and I couldnt respond to them because I didnt know what to say to them. PSO had a feature that made you sound like an idiot when talking to someone in a different language, but it was at least something. I didnt understand why Sega didnt have it in PSU and the PSP games.

Mike
Jul 24, 2011, 08:12 PM
DJG posted a picture of himself with Ruby. You're just going to have to accept the facts.

No, it didn't. It had a "word select" where you maneuvered through menus of words and topics. What you said would show up in different languages only if you used word select. Any machine translation technology that we have today still spits out nonsense and in a game environment would be too impractical.

RemiusTA
Jul 24, 2011, 11:13 PM
Word Select is fine. If you're tired of stock phrases, go play with someone from your own country.

Honestly, i dont know how people stomach playing PSUJP. I'd rather just not play PSU ever again than to be teased with an entire environment of shit i dont understand. I much enjoy my ability to read!

Jade DaBain
Jul 25, 2011, 12:59 AM
Word Select is fine. If you're tired of stock phrases, go play with someone from your own country.

Honestly, i dont know how people stomach playing PSUJP. I'd rather just not play PSU ever again than to be teased with an entire environment of shit i dont understand. I much enjoy my ability to read!

Thats why I didnt go on PSU JP. I cant play a game I cant understand. Its either English only or I wont play it.

Tetsaru
Jul 25, 2011, 03:21 AM
Thats why I didnt go on PSU JP. I cant play a game I cant understand. Its either English only or I wont play it.

Same here. Now, if they were actually SMART and had a language select option for all the menus and what not... then yeah, I might've looked into it.

Jade DaBain
Jul 25, 2011, 04:19 AM
Same here. Now, if they were actually SMART and had a language select option for all the menus and what not... then yeah, I might've looked into it.

You mean like how EU games always seem to have a language select screen usually before the title screen or in the options menu?

Tetsaru
Jul 25, 2011, 12:04 PM
You mean like how EU games always seem to have a language select screen usually before the title screen or in the options menu?

Exactly.

Jade DaBain
Jul 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
Exactly.

Ya know. I always considered that feature a good thing. I dont know what us US people never had it in our games.

Anon_Fire
Jul 25, 2011, 11:57 PM

Sort of like that, but it was called Word Select. They could expand it in PSO2 along with adding the Auto Words from PSP2.

Jade DaBain
Jul 26, 2011, 12:00 AM
Sort of like that, but it was called Word Select. They could expand it in PSO2 along with adding the Auto Words from PSP2.

PSO had Word Select. PSU didnt. Thats what he was saying.