PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Gameplay Footage Concerns

DrkHrbngrX
Jul 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I did a backflip out of pure joy when I first saw it. However, I noticed that the Saber, the staple of all Phantasy Star combat, was nowhere to be seen. Now, I'm worried that they did away with it and other smaller weapons in favor of gameplay similar to, say, the Monster Hunter series. Now, I don't have a major problem with that, but the Sabers were my favorite weapon out of any of the others. But, I haven't played this new game. Perhaps the gameplay will be shifted to accomidate for the larger weapons. I don't know.
Discuss.

BIG OLAF
Jul 14, 2011, 09:56 PM
Pre-Alpha video. We obviously haven't seen even 2% of the game yet.

Drifting Fable
Jul 14, 2011, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. The game is still early in development, much to be done, much to be added.

That's like watching an E3 trailer of an FPS and coming to the conclusion that only 3 maps will ship with the game.

I'm pretty sure Sega isn't going to drop the one handed saber if this is staying true to the series.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
Do not worry my friend. That video was made when the game was, let's say, about 15% complete?
We haven't seen anything yet.
Also keep ye eyes open tomorrow as it seems they will be new info!

Griffin
Jul 14, 2011, 11:20 PM
Things change, guy. For all we know, the graphical output might appear greater than what we had seen.

RemiusTA
Jul 15, 2011, 12:13 AM
I wonder about the graphics, really. I dont mind them the way they are now, but I honestly hope they do something about the ground textures...they just throw everything off.

Wayu
Jul 15, 2011, 12:18 AM
The environment textures will most likely be kicked up a few notches before the final release.

-Wayu

Griffin
Jul 15, 2011, 12:18 AM
I did notice that. It may change, but honestly, I wouldn't mind if it didn't. The team may want to keep texturing on the low for the sake of performance, at least as far as landscape.

Dragwind
Jul 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
Pre-Alpha video. We obviously haven't seen even 2% of the game yet.

I can't seem to ever say that enough.

I'd say textures will probably be one of the last things they'll brush up on near the ending cycle of development, imo.

Seth Astra
Jul 15, 2011, 12:37 AM
We have seen exactly one melee weapon type. We can't really make judgements on what melee weapons will exist based on that. Unless swords are all they have. And that'd just be stupid.

DrkHrbngrX
Jul 15, 2011, 01:33 AM
I realize that it was indeed only alpha, but something about the SIZE of the weapons shown just threw me off. On that note, I've practically fallen in love with the new HUmar design, assuming that's what they are going with.

blace
Jul 15, 2011, 01:41 AM
I realize that it was indeed only alpha, but something about the SIZE of the weapons shown just threw me off. On that note, I've practically fallen in love with the new HUmar design, assuming that's what they are going with.
Probably is the final design or probably not, it's all concept at the moment. I'm just wondering how they'll manage the late 2011 release in Japan at this rate. Just wait for more info.

RemiusTA
Jul 15, 2011, 02:26 AM
they wont.

And if they do, this is not an alpha and they're lying to us.

Either that, or they're going to release the game in its beta for free until the retail release, when they'll charge (either for the full game or just service)

ShinMaruku
Jul 15, 2011, 02:43 AM
Tis good to be cautious. We all know it can go wrong and Sega does tend to go south.
That said not enough to really say much. Exactly why I say don't show shit until you have something really nice to show and can stand on it's own. Otherwise dangerous nostalgia will sprout.

NoiseHERO
Jul 15, 2011, 06:36 AM
So I'm not the only one paranoid we'll have less weapon types because swords and rifles have like 234234 functions now, that I hope are just photon arts.

Hotobu
Jul 15, 2011, 06:40 AM
Don't get me wrong, I did a backflip out of pure joy when I first saw it. However, I noticed that the Saber, the staple of all Phantasy Star combat, was nowhere to be seen. Now, I'm worried that they did away with it and other smaller weapons in favor of gameplay similar to, say, the Monster Hunter series. Now, I don't have a major problem with that, but the Sabers were my favorite weapon out of any of the others. But, I haven't played this new game. Perhaps the gameplay will be shifted to accomidate for the larger weapons. I don't know.
Discuss.

So you think just because one type of weapon wasn't shown in a short clip that didn't even show all of the classes in a game that hasn't even entered the BETA, and has no release date that that weapon class has been done away with?

Christ WTF is wrong with people?

Demon-
Jul 15, 2011, 09:18 AM
A Phantasy Star game with out a saber? That's a good one.

Griffin
Jul 15, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm betting the footage we saw displayed only later weaponry. They didn't appear beginner-like to me. There wasn't a saber or any kind of pistol.

Wayu
Jul 15, 2011, 09:31 AM
Probably wanted to show the least visually appealing stuff, maybe. Just my guess.

-Wayu

RemiusTA
Jul 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
They could have simply not decided on a base design for the weapon, yet. Or perhaps they hadnt finished the animation.

Shinji Kazuya
Jul 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
A Phantasy Star game with out a saber? That's a good one.

Yeah that would be quite weird and not expected.

Zyrusticae
Jul 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
What concerned me most was not the exclusion of weapons other than rifles/smgs and swords, but rather, the lack of LAZORZ. Those guns were shooting bullets, and the swords were FAR more physical than immaterial.

I will forever be unfathomably disappointed if laser-based weaponry do not make a return to form.

Griffin
Jul 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
What concerned me most was not the exclusion of weapons other than rifles/smgs and swords, but rather, the lack of LAZORZ. Those guns were shooting bullets, and the swords were FAR more physical than immaterial.

I will forever be unfathomably disappointed if laser-based weaponry do not make a return to form.

That's your concern? HAH!

BIG OLAF
Jul 15, 2011, 05:10 PM

Well, someone else's concern was "no Sabers", when we've barely scratched the surface of PSO2's content. Nothing is really off-limits.

yoshiblue
Jul 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah that would be quite weird and not expected.

PSO2= PSZ prequel?

NoiseHERO
Jul 15, 2011, 08:57 PM
What? NOOOOOOO

PSZ is called zero for a reason, it was before PSO, right.(wait am I correcting a sarcastic joke)

Though there COULD be a game that comes BEFORE PSZ's semi-post-apocalyptic state and then maybe It could link PSZ to the classic phantasy stars, while somehow confirming the link between PSZ and PSO.

and it could be on the 3DS

and it could be called "PHANTASY STAR: BEFORE MOTHER"

Randomness
Jul 15, 2011, 10:00 PM
Content generation is going to be the last thing finished. Adding all the weapon types, visual and audio assets, etc. can be left for towards the end. (And, in theory, is the least likely to introduce game-breaking bugs)

So the early stuff, pre-alpha, is going to be lacking in content. That said, they've shown a fair bit of everything besides the weapon/clothing variety we all want to see. Myself, I'm hoping for more varied techs than PSO/PSU offered. (PSO had so few, PSU was mostly the same with different elements)

Dracheseele
Jul 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
The sword in the preview actually looks an awful lot like the claymore in PSZ.

But yeah, still too early to make any predictions. I see no reason that weapons can't have overlapping purposes though.

DrkHrbngrX
Jul 15, 2011, 10:38 PM
So you think just because one type of weapon wasn't shown in a short clip that didn't even show all of the classes in a game that hasn't even entered the BETA, and has no release date that that weapon class has been done away with?

Christ WTF is wrong with people?

Err...yeah, that's cool. On the OTHER hand, let's consider the more rational statement, "Those swords were fucking huge. Like, bigger than weapons have been in past instalments. What's up with that?"

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jul 18, 2011, 03:01 PM
Err...yeah, that's cool. On the OTHER hand, let's consider the more rational statement, "Those swords were fucking huge. Like, bigger than weapons have been in past instalments. What's up with that?"

Didn't bother me much... Although I think it's a bit odd to have the "character screen talking" even though there's not going to be any voice action.

Zyrusticae
Jul 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
They could very easily be pulling a PSZ and mostly tossing out the energy-based weaponry, y'know.

I see nothing laughable about this. Unless, of course, you don't like energy-based weaponry, in which case you clearly have no soul. Now go away, demon! :-x