PDA

View Full Version : If you need help building a computer or advice on parts.

Pages : [1] 2

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
It has become apparent to me that a large part of the Phantasy Star base is still really console driven. This game being PC only (for now at least, but lets not go there) is really going to confuse some people when they need to know more about their hardware then "Yep its a 360".

For those who have not seen the "Will my PC handle this game" thread here is the link. It is full of good information but lacks the building a PC part.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187525

Personal-
I am a Software Engineer in MN who basically grew up on PSO and I want to see this community flourish for once. I build computers all the time on the side (2-15 a year). I do this mostly for fun and to keep current on hardware.

Duty-
If anyone needs advice on how to build a computer, I would like to use this thread to help those. I can help with hardware selection, price points, part lists, and/or actually building one for people if they would so choose.

Random Info-
A PC can be built in a long afternoon for a newb, or as little as an hour for an expert.

Cheapest Build for PSO-2 that I would actually USE:

I have removed this section due to it being now- outdated

Last Note-
People are all over in skill levels as far as PC's go. I do not know exactly what to put in this thread right now. As people ask questions I can add them to this head-post and hopefully help as many people as I can.

RedRaz0r
Jul 27, 2011, 04:04 PM
Excellent idea, my friend. If theres anything I can do to help, let me know. I also have knowledge in this field, and although I don't do it as a profession, I have built many PC's for friends and family and myself as a hobby.

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
I say buy a good base and get parts. Good service on your computer is a good thing.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
Buying a good 'base' and adding on to it costs a lot more than just building it from scratch does. Isn't this topic just the same as the one it links to? lol

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
Not all the time. The base does not need to be super but super expandable. Then you can get the savings plus with some of these parts they can wear down quicker. Sometimes building ain't worth it. Just providing options. I say go with either but if you want reliable and something that can be serviced buy a base.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
A modified tower can't be serviced lol. If you change anything in a prebuilt machine, it voids your warranty. Unless you're buying one of those prebuilt gamer's rigs, which are ridiculously overpriced in the first place.

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:15 PM
You get what you pay for. Some are overprices some are not, if they can be serviced in some ways it's better than building. It's not for everybody ya know. :P

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
The final answer to this is that building a PC from scratch is less expensive.

On top of that manufacturers IE:DELL HP ect, tend to use lower priced parts for the "Generics" like the power supply and motherboard. In order to get a higher end graphics card to work in one of these machines you will most likely have to replace the power supply anyway.

Thus making it pointless to buy the OEM machine in the first place.

Feel free to ask anything (Nothing is too dumb) Also to the comment about how this thread is different. This thread is more based around the construction of the computer. I really want to discuss what parts are better in comparison and even get some members to build computers.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
You get what you pay for. Some are overprices some are not, if they can be serviced in some ways it's better than building. It's not for everybody ya know. :P
Well, you really don't get what you pay for when it comes to those gamer's rigs. They're just parts you can find on Newegg or anywhere, assembled and the price raised so that the builder can actually make some money.

The cheapest way to build a gaming PC is to just built it yourself, but I understand where you're coming from when you say it's easier to build a decent machine if you start with a prebuilt tower, though modifying it does void your warranty.

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
Answers in practice are never so black and white. Life resists simplicity. All things neutral sure it would be but life is never that.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:24 PM
Lol, that's a nice way to look at things, but I've built many many PCs over the years, as has Nuclear Ranger apparently. That is just how it is, believe me.

Wait, Nuclear Ranger, don't I know you? Didn't I have an argument on MSN with you, about whether or not PSO's music changed to calm/battle depending on whether or not you were fighting? lol

BIG OLAF
Jul 27, 2011, 04:25 PM
I don't know anything about computers. When people say "build a PC", they might as well be telling me to construct an orbital satellite laser.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:26 PM
It's easy, Olaf. I know it sounds hard, but honestly you could do it just watching a Youtube video to guide you through. Basically certain parts go in a certain place, and certain plugs go into a certain socket. It's almost impossible to mess up if you're watching a proper guide.

It's like putting a chair together.

BIG OLAF
Jul 27, 2011, 04:28 PM
I don't know. I have a knack for mucking up simple things, mostly because I over-analyze and over-think everything. I'm not worried about it right now, though, since I have exactly $3.00 to my name, and no visible opportunities for employment in the future right now.

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:28 PM
I have done both and sometimes I get rotten luck.
Thus I like parts support.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
Answers in practice are never so black and white. Life resists simplicity. All things neutral sure it would be but life is never that.

Right and I mean no disrespect.

IF YOU ALREADY OWN A PC-
It will be fairly cheap to upgrade. This is probably your best route as long as your PC isn't running on a P4 processor still :)

IF YOU DON'T OWN A PC-
Buying a completely new PC only to scrap half of it and replace the parts is probably not the most efficient route. However I could never know the prices of ALL prebuilt systems so I can not guarantee this statement.

I would also like to state that if you build your own you can also chose how it looks. So instead of getting this... http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2028151.jpg

You can get this....
http://gallery.techarena.in/data/513/image112.jpg

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
If anyone is questioning whether or not their PCs will RUN PSO2 post your stats and I can give you a fairly good guess(Wont be perfect) but it should be obvious to me fairly easily.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146050 I want this case, sooo bad!

I just looked you up on my MSN, Nuke (that's what i'ma call you from now on) and it totally is you. Never thought I'd see you again! lol, neat.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146050 I want this case, sooo bad!

I just looked you up on my MSN, Nuke (that's what i'ma call you from now on) and it totally is you. Never thought I'd see you again! lol, neat.

Yea I know we talk randomly on MSN how could you forget me?

BIG OLAF
Jul 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
Holy crap, it's like $50 dollars just for an empty computer casing? Even if I ever do get a job, this is going to take some serious saving up.

xmoonprismpowerx
Jul 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
My boyfriend recently built us two computers from scratch and it cost roughly 300-500 dollars for each. I wouldn't say we have THE BEST COMPUTARS EVARRR but I think we are going to be very good for awhile. And the only advice I can give everyone, is that I second Newegg as the place to buy parts. They literally are the cheapest, and it's 3-day shipping. We got everything in nearly 3 days later (and we brought in parts multiple times).

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yea I know we talk randomly on MSN how could you forget me?

Lol I didn't forget you, I just didn't really expect to see you around here again.

Olaf, it's not just an empty shell. Computer cases come with fans, which are extremely important. They're fitted with a lot of little things inside that justify their price of $50 or so, though you can find them for a bit cheaper. You'd be able to build a rig that could play PSO2 flawlessly for around $400-$600 total.

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:53 PM
Given that one would really need a pc to really get and intreact here It would be well to think they have PCs.
That said you can get a case sub $30
Have no computer hardware sales in your area? My college has them every year. SO we get things at a massive discount. Probably could get my pc as build for around $600-$800

BIG OLAF
Jul 27, 2011, 04:53 PM
Olaf, it's not just an empty shell. Computer cases come with fans, which are extremely important. They're fitted with a lot of little things inside that justify their price of $50 or so, though you can find them for a bit cheaper. You'd be able to build a rig that could play PSO2 flawlessly for around $400-$600 total.

Oh. Well, I did say I didn't know anything about computers. $400-$600 dollars is still a bit steep to me. There's no way I'll be playing PSO2 on release day at this rate. Damn.

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well, it is most likely going to come out in a time frame close to Christmas, so... ask for money? lol.

500 bucks is pretty good for a gaming rig, imo. Some people go so far as to spend $2000-$3000+

ShinMaruku
Jul 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
I dumped about 2k on my computer. $400 is a steal.

Ecchi
Jul 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
Dumped 1200$ on my I7 build and I <3 it

Everything from Newegg. So if you need advice on hi-end parts I can help ya out.

Strider_M
Jul 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
So, I have a Compaq Presario PC SR5507F

It has a GeForce 6150 se graphics card and AMD Athlon Dual Core 4050e processor.

I KNOW this isn't good enough due to my computer unable to even run Team Fortress 2 properly.

I have installed a Graphics Card before and I was eyeing the GeForce GTS 250. But do I need a better processor? I also haven't installed one before; so how difficult is it?

Also I can't figure out how....how strong of a power supply I need to support a stronger graphics card or if I need one at all...

cheapgunner
Jul 27, 2011, 05:41 PM
If anyone is questioning whether or not their PCs will RUN PSO2 post your stats and I can give you a fairly good guess(Wont be perfect) but it should be obvious to me fairly easily.

Can you tell if my labtop could run PSO2 (aphla-level):

Acer - Windows 7

Processor: AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core Processor 2.20 GHz

RAM: 4 GB

System-type: 64 bit

I don't have a graphics card but from what the specs requirement says for the Alpha testing, it shouldn't be too expensive to get one. This labtop is one of those cheap models (Walmart :-( ), so I know that gaming will be too lackluster for it...

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 06:02 PM
Holy crap, it's like $50 dollars just for an empty computer casing? Even if I ever do get a job, this is going to take some serious saving up.

You can get a low end case for around $20 if you look on Newegg.com

A total gaming built PC is probably going to be between 500->1200 dollars. You can of course go higher than that however, the law of diminishing returns shows up at some point around there.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 06:11 PM
So, I have a Compaq Presario PC SR5507F

It has a GeForce 6150 se graphics card and AMD Athlon Dual Core 4050e processor.

I KNOW this isn't good enough due to my computer unable to even run Team Fortress 2 properly.

I have installed a Graphics Card before and I was eyeing the GeForce GTS 250. But do I need a better processor? I also haven't installed one before; so how difficult is it?

Also I can't figure out how....how strong of a power supply I need to support a stronger graphics card or if I need one at all...

The processing power of a PC is really almost never a huge hold back to frame rates in video games. Your CPU is dual core so I really doubt you need an upgrade.

Installing a CPU is a bit trickier. (You need to buy some heat paste as well "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038")
First you need to open the case (duh)

Second you will need to search for your computers "Heat sink" it will be the only fan that is attached to the motherboard (The big board in the back of the case)

Third. Remove the Heatsink. This is done by either unscrewing 4 screws OR more likely your case has PINS. You will need to twist all 4 pins to the unlocked position and then pull up to "pop" them out.

Fourth. Unplug the heatsink and remove the unit.

Fifth. You will see the CPU but it is held down by a pin and a metal plate. This should be fairly obvious on how to remove this. Just move the pin so the plate is no longer down.

Sixth. Remove the cpu. BE VERY CAREFUL. Touch ONLY THE SIDES OF THE CPU. Hand oils on a CPU can fry it.

Seventh. Replace the cpu with a VERY small amount of the heat paste on top. You will see how much is on the other CPU. Copy this.

Repeat steps backwards. Getting the heatsink ONTO the motherboard is tedious and annoying. Take your time.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 06:16 PM
Can you tell if my labtop could run PSO2 (aphla-level):

Acer - Windows 7

Processor: AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core Processor 2.20 GHz

RAM: 4 GB

System-type: 64 bit

I don't have a graphics card but from what the specs requirement says for the Alpha testing, it shouldn't be too expensive to get one. This labtop is one of those cheap models (Walmart :-( ), so I know that gaming will be too lackluster for it...

Depending on the model of laptop it can be nearly impossible to ADD anything to a laptop besides memory. I did do a CPU upgrade on one once.

I would say without a Graphics card PSO-2 MIGHT run on some lower settings. No guarantee on that.

If I were you I would go and call Acer and see what they have to say. Laptops are tricky and on a case by case basis unlike desktops where they are all about the same.

What happens when you don't have a GPU your CPU has to do everything.
-Processing
-Graphics
-Sounds
-ect

If you are building a PC I recommend a lower end sound card ($20-$50) This will allow your CPU to be free. The more you can do with EXTRA components the LESS your CPU must do.
Believe it or not a sound card, and network card can actually make your computer faster and give you higher frame rates.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 06:19 PM
For those looking at cases. Here are a TON of cheep cases.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=7&name=Computer-Cases&Order=PRICE

Keep in mind there are different FORM FACTORS to case sizes.
Full
Mid
(Mini,Small,Micro)->Avoid this.

A full tower is pretty big... unless you want like 10 harddrives I would not recommend it.

Anon_Fire
Jul 27, 2011, 06:36 PM
Should I upgrade?

My GPU is a ATI Radeon 3000

cheapgunner
Jul 27, 2011, 07:34 PM
Depending on the model of laptop it can be nearly impossible to ADD anything to a laptop besides memory. I did do a CPU upgrade on one once.

I would say without a Graphics card PSO-2 MIGHT run on some lower settings. No guarantee on that.

If I were you I would go and call Acer and see what they have to say. Laptops are tricky and on a case by case basis unlike desktops where they are all about the same.

What happens when you don't have a GPU your CPU has to do everything.
-Processing
-Graphics
-Sounds
-ect

If you are building a PC I recommend a lower end sound card ($20-$50) This will allow your CPU to be free. The more you can do with EXTRA components the LESS your CPU must do.
Believe it or not a sound card, and network card can actually make your computer faster and give you higher frame rates.

Just checked (I know, I'm kinda slow >.>; ) and I have a ATI Mob. Radeon HD 4250.

I'm checking youtube right now for vids on how to construct a computer. Gonna call Acer this week and see what they say on the matter.

Since the game won't be released for quite some time I'll see what kind of money can be scrapped since building one is cheaper...

Niloklives
Jul 27, 2011, 07:44 PM
there's a whole thread for this like half way down the page O_o

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 27, 2011, 08:26 PM
there's a whole thread for this like half way down the page O_o
He's not trying to step on your toes Nilok, your thread is linked in the OP.
...Although I believe you covered PC building thoroughly myself, it's nice to get multiple sources on this.

Dabian
Jul 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
What's your take on liquid-cooled systems? I'm probably nitpicking here, but I get so paranoid when the CPU fan makes just that little bit more noise.

Assuming budget isn't a worry, would or would you not make the change to liquid-cooled? Any potential hazards I should be aware of?

Ark22
Jul 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
Lol Niko, Just think of it as this, One compensates for the other. One tells what to get, the other tells how to make it work.

Niloklives
Jul 27, 2011, 10:06 PM
My thread actually does both.

Ark22
Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
if I bought a brand tower, what would be the cheapest amount for the most Minimum experience in graphics? Just wondering

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 10:40 PM
Should I upgrade?

My GPU is a ATI Radeon 3000

As long as you have a PCI-E X16 slot I would pick up a

ATI 6850

Or if you have the budget

a 6870 or even a 6890

Make sure you have a decent power supply. I would say 500W or more.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 10:42 PM
if I bought a brand tower, what would be the cheapest amount for the most Minimum experience in graphics? Just wondering

If you bought a Desktop from a OEM like Dell. I would shoot for 4 GB of ram, an I5 Processer, and at least a 6(5)850 from ATI.

However building one yourself could probably get you into an I7 and a bit more GPU for the same price.

Dabian
Jul 27, 2011, 10:45 PM
Is there any difference (if at all) between 1 x 4gb (1 dimm) and 2 x 2gb (2 dimm) in terms of performance? Or is it just a matter of future discarding?

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
What's your take on liquid-cooled systems? I'm probably nitpicking here, but I get so paranoid when the CPU fan makes just that little bit more noise.

Assuming budget isn't a worry, would or would you not make the change to liquid-cooled? Any potential hazards I should be aware of?

Liquid cooling TBH is not that pricy depending on your budget. It is around 200ish dollars for a nice setup.

There are a lot of considerations to take into account.

con
1. Your PC will be heavy. I mean REALLY heavy.
2. Your PC will be more fragile. Don't move it that often.
3. Build it with care, this will take time, probably more than the rest of your PC took.
4. INSPECT FOR LEAKS, good cooling is useless on a fried PC!

pro
1. Liquid cooling is GREAT, for overclocking (a different subject)

Personal

I run a pretty top shelf setup myself, adding parts and building new pcs periodically. Not once have I gone liquid cooling.

A better option is to buy a good aftermarket heatsink, these will run quieter, cooler, and overall better than the cheap plastic ones that come with CPUs
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=574&name=CPU-Fans-Heatsinks

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 10:50 PM
My thread actually does both.

I am sorry, I did not mean to step on toes either. I felt my knowledge would be a better overall help in it's own thread.

I feel there is much confusion on BUILDING a pc in the hardware department. Something your thread specifically says it will NOT cover.

Ark22
Jul 27, 2011, 10:50 PM
I hate to ask...But could you gather info on the cheapest build? So I can save up on. I honestly want a PC JUST for this game. No future games.

Dabian
Jul 27, 2011, 10:56 PM
Thx for the reply. It's quite a daunting thing to switch to liquid is why I asked.

As for the heatsink, that's definitely something I can act upon now. :)

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 10:57 PM
Is there any difference (if at all) between 1 x 4gb (1 dimm) and 2 x 2gb (2 dimm) in terms of performance? Or is it just a matter of future discarding?

There is actually!

A motherboard typically has 4 Ram slots. However on new I7 systems a board will typically have either 3 or 6

This works this way because all older processor's run dual channel memory vs the I7 running tripple.

Why does this matter? I mean 4GB is 4GB right?

Well yea, it is. However you are limiting yourself in speed by not using the extra electrical runways on the board. (in simple terms)

If you have 4 ram slots, buy 4 1GB sticks as opposed to 1 4GB stick. (you could also do 2 X 2GB)
If you have 6 ram slots AT LEAST BUY 3, you should by 6.

NEVER mess with the channels unevenly.
If you have 4 slots, don't by 3 sticks... this will substantially slow down ram read and write speeds.
Either match ram sticks up or only use 1
If you have 6 slots don't use 5 or some odd number. Use 1, 3 or 6.
The slots will be color coded on the motherboard for matching pairs. If you bought 2 sticks and have 4 slots. Fill one color first IE the white slots. Don't mix them with one white and one orange unless you are going to fill them all up.

REMEMBER TO USE MORE THAN 3.4ish GB OF RAM IN A SYSTEM YOU NEEEEEEED a X64BIT OS

Windows Vista or Windows 7 in 64 bit edition.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
Thx for the reply. It's quite a daunting thing to switch to liquid is why I asked.

As for the heatsink, that's definitely something I can act upon now. :)

No problem. This one is actually the one I use in my system. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

It is cheap but works better than the more pricy ones. They are easy to install as well.

I want to note that you need to make sure you can fit it in your case though. Dimensions should be on new-egg. Measure it.

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
I hate to ask...But could you gather info on the cheapest build? So I can save up on. I honestly want a PC JUST for this game. No future games.

No problem. That's what this thread is for.

This is a fairly impossible task to get EXACTLY right. I will have to overshoot a little bit to guarantee it will run.

Please post and ask again tomorrow if I do not have this up. It is getting late here in MN and I will have to do this tomorrow.

Dabian
Jul 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
That is all copy-pasted and saved to my checklist for my next rig (probably closer to diablo 3 or PSO2 launch). I don't need Crysis-crunching power. I just want dependable and consistency.

Thx again.

Niloklives
Jul 27, 2011, 11:03 PM
I am sorry, I did not mean to step on toes either. I felt my knowledge would be a better overall help in it's own thread.

I feel there is much confusion on BUILDING a pc in the hardware department. Something your thread specifically says it will NOT cover.

I have a section that talks about building and has a guide. what I state in my opening comments is that I will not go through each post and help each one individually with building their machine. I'm more than happy for people to offer help and guide people within the thread. But between school, work and my personal life I don't have time for hand holding.

I also mention that I'll add anything to the OP that others have to offer that will help members with their builds or upgrades.

The opening post however has info on how to build a computer, a few tips, talks about what to avoid as far as brands, has a few warnings, talks about laptops, upgrades, etc. I'm not saying it's perfect and it likely needs an update soon, but it's more informative than I think people give it credit for.

The point is I'm not claiming that thread as my personal advice column. I help when I can, but anyone can ask questions and give answers...most of my posts I just try to keep people from spreading rumors and posting irrelevant/false information (IE, "Sandy bridge is a defective product line" or "you need a soldering iron to build a computer")

Nuclearranger
Jul 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
I have a section that talks about building and has a guide. what I state in my opening comments is that I will not go through each post and help each one individually with building their machine. I'm more than happy for people to offer help and guide people within the thread. But between school, work and my personal life I don't have time for hand holding.

I also mention that I'll add anything to the OP that others have to offer that will help members with their builds or upgrades.

The opening post however has info on how to build a computer, a few tips, talks about what to avoid as far as brands, has a few warnings, talks about laptops, upgrades, etc. I'm not saying it's perfect and it likely needs an update soon, but it's more informative than I think people give it credit for.

The point is I'm not claiming that thread as my personal advice column. I help when I can, but anyone can ask questions and give answers...most of my posts I just try to keep people from spreading rumors and posting irrelevant/false information (IE, "Sandy bridge is a defective product line" or "you need a soldering iron to build a computer")

Understood. However lets not ruin this thread with anything off topic. I am not trying to steal your thread away from you.... I am not even sure why it matters. This is a thread about me helping people with their questions. That is all.

Niloklives
Jul 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
its not that, just feel this could be consolidated into one topic

Ark22
Jul 27, 2011, 11:35 PM
You to should just marry each other and make great towers and give them to me for free. Just saying.
On a relevant note, I will repost tomorrow if you do fall asleep =D THANKS FOR TRYING!

Corey Blue
Jul 27, 2011, 11:35 PM
* SHUTTLE SX58J3 Black Mini PC Barebone, LGA1366, Intel X58, DDR3-1600 (O.C.) 16GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /2, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID /2, HDA, GbLAN /2, 500W PSU
* INTEL Core™ i7-970 Six-Core, 3.2GHz, LGA1366, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 12MB L3 Cache, HT EM64T EIST TB VT XD, 32nm, 130W, Retail
* CORSAIR 12GB (3 x 4GB) Vengeance™ PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
* ZOTAC ZT-50201-10P, GeForce® GTX 570 732MHz, 1280MB GDDR5 3800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI + mini-HDMI, Retail
* ZOTAC ZT-98GES3M-FSL, GeForce® 9800 GT 550MHz, 512MB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI+HDMI+VGA, Retail
* SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB cache
* SEAGATE 1TB Constellation™ ES, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
* RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
* ASUS DVD-E818A7T Black 16x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM
* SONY AD-7261S Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Lightscribe, SATA, OEM
* MICROSOFT Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 Wired Optical Mouse, 5 Buttons + 1 Wheel, USB + PS/2, Black
* MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM
* WARRANTY Assembled and Tested (1 Year Parts, Lifetime Labor Warranty) Hey are these spec's good for long term?? You said something about not getting mini computers but does this one look ok?

Ark22
Jul 27, 2011, 11:45 PM
^That looks....MORE than ready

Corey Blue
Jul 27, 2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah it's more then ready for PSO2,I was wondering if it was good for gaming all together,because it's upgradable.(I just dont want to get screwed over.)http://www.avadirect.com/mini-pc-configurator.asp?PRID=18182 2100$ is my budget.

Niloklives
Jul 27, 2011, 11:52 PM
you're paying too much

that cpu is way overkill and those custom build jobs always overcharge. you're getting screwed. dont get more than a quad-core for gaming

Caeruleus
Jul 28, 2011, 12:21 AM
No problem. That's what this thread is for.

This is a fairly impossible task to get EXACTLY right. I will have to overshoot a little bit to guarantee it will run.

Please post and ask again tomorrow if I do not have this up. It is getting late here in MN and I will have to do this tomorrow.

I too would love to get an answer for this. Right now I'm sitting on $400 dollars from selling Magic the Gathering cards donated from my cousin and plan on saving as long as I can, but I am only going to use this computer for Phantasy Star and free MMOs, so I don't really need something that can levitate. I'm only in need of something that can handle PSO2 as it's most demanding game. Much appreciated if you do post this.

Strider_M
Jul 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
@Nuclearranger

You told me how to install a CPU (thanks for that) but before that you told me that I probably won't need more than a dual core.

But about that Video Card I am planning to get (GeForce GTS 250) IF I do get that will I need a better Power source too? and if so how many Watts?

r00tabaga
Jul 28, 2011, 08:41 AM
its not that, just feel this could be consolidated into one topic

I think that if Nuke was to add to your thread, you would have felt he WAS stepping on your toes. I think that for many of us console guys it's good to seperate the two as one is more for building and the other is more for specs. :-?

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:46 AM
* SHUTTLE SX58J3 Black Mini PC Barebone, LGA1366, Intel X58, DDR3-1600 (O.C.) 16GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /2, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID /2, HDA, GbLAN /2, 500W PSU
* INTEL Core™ i7-970 Six-Core, 3.2GHz, LGA1366, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 12MB L3 Cache, HT EM64T EIST TB VT XD, 32nm, 130W, Retail
* CORSAIR 12GB (3 x 4GB) Vengeance™ PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
* ZOTAC ZT-50201-10P, GeForce® GTX 570 732MHz, 1280MB GDDR5 3800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI + mini-HDMI, Retail
* ZOTAC ZT-98GES3M-FSL, GeForce® 9800 GT 550MHz, 512MB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI+HDMI+VGA, Retail
* MICROSOFT Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 Wired Optical Mouse, 5 Buttons + 1 Wheel, USB + PS/2, Black
* WARRANTY Assembled and Tested (1 Year Parts, Lifetime Labor Warranty) Hey are these spec's good for long term?? You said something about not getting mini computers but does this one look ok?

I would definitely say it will run PSO2 and probably Crysis on max. You may be doing overkill or not investing correctly in certain area's however.

Take your harddrives for example. Might as well at least get a RAID 5 setup for that price range.

The CPU could probably just be any I7 quad or 6 core. Gaming more than often only uses 1 core. Keep this in mind. Your GHZ rating on the cpu effects most games more than the core count!

The core count will still help however. Windows divides tasks up evenly between cores. So the gaming core will be free to do more while the others are handling simple tasks like....music ect. I would say peg the CPU down one and go with a nice sound card. Or add a sound card if you can afford it.

I would say whenever I build TOP-END systems they rarely cost more than 1200-1400 in parts.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah it's more then ready for PSO2,I was wondering if it was good for gaming all together,because it's upgradable.(I just dont want to get screwed over.)http://www.avadirect.com/mini-pc-configurator.asp?PRID=18182 2100$ is my budget.

On the MINI PC subject.

The only reason I say avoid is space. However most mid and full towers are the same as other mid and full towers. MOST mini towers are completely different than other MINI towers. It is just hard to get it right.

It isn't like a mini tower will hurt you other than space. Make sure you keep sufficient airflow to the box, gaming can cause quite a heat wave inside that box!

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
@Nuclearranger

You told me how to install a CPU (thanks for that) but before that you told me that I probably won't need more than a dual core.

But about that Video Card I am planning to get (GeForce GTS 250) IF I do get that will I need a better Power source too? and if so how many Watts?

I figured I should explain the step by step anyway for someone wondering!

According to this website http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,677736/Geforce-GTS-250-reviewed-Three-new-graphics-cards-put-to-test/Reviews/

That card can use up to 150 WATTs of power alone. This is a really vague part of building a PC. You have to ask yourself what the rest of your PC uses. (you can also see how that card performs on their test machine)

If you have 4+ harddrives I would say go with a 700W+ PSU
If you only have 1-2 drives and that same dual core cpu. 530->600W should be enough.
Here are a couple.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339036
It is always nice to go over a bit on PSUs so if you have the extra 10. Go with the 2nd choice here. It is also Modular which is nice (You can get rid of useless cables if needed)

Obviously I dont know what you own currently.

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 10:20 AM
I hate to ask...But could you gather info on the cheapest build? So I can save up on. I honestly want a PC JUST for this game. No future games. =D Just reposting just like you asked SIR YESH SIR D=<

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 10:33 AM
I hate to ask...But could you gather info on the cheapest build? So I can save up on. I honestly want a PC JUST for this game. No future games. =D Just reposting just like you asked SIR YESH SIR D=<

Your wish is my command.

Total Cost: $577.92

$19.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289 CD DVD Drive
$19.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061 CASE MID TOWER
$39.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769 HDD 500GB
$154.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374 GPU 4850 6850
$39.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028 PSU 530W
$27.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134718 RAM 2X2GB 1066
$64.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157190 MOBO 1156
$209.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067 CPU I5 2.8GHZ

Notes.
1. This is probably not the absolute 100% cheapest system to run PSO-2 However I wanted to overshoot a bit to make sure you would definitely run it. If you wanted it cheaper than this we could lower the mobo and the CPU back to the PRE I5/7 days models. This MIGHT shave $100 if we are lucky

2. The 6850 Graphics card in this system is really nice. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/16 AMD is on their A-Game when it comes to price vs performance!

3. If anyone finds that I missed anything in this build PLEASE tell me.

4. You could play with this system a bit to customize it. Change your case, add a harddrive, ect. I wouldn't change the MOBO/CPU/RAM unless you know what you are doing.

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
Riddle me this? Can it give out a good quality of gameplay?

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Riddle me this? Can it give out a good quality of gameplay?

That PC will absolutely play many games at the mid-high to high range in settings.

Note you will need your own Keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
=) You sir just saved me 200 bucks......I want to kiss you right now....But it would feel awkward.
BUT THANKS =D! I may ask more questions in the future but for now I will just copy and paste it to a document.

WAIT QUick question, so PSO2.....how high would you guess? Like HIGH- Max settings? Or just regular to high?

Hotobu
Jul 28, 2011, 11:11 AM

Did you already buy this, or are you going to? If you bought it like a year ago fine, but if you're going to buy it that build isn't very efficient at all.

Hotobu
Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Your wish is my command.

$19.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289 CD DVD Drive
$19.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061 CASE MID TOWER
$39.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769 HDD 500GB
$154.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374 GPU 4850 6850
$27.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134718 RAM 2X2GB 1066
$64.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157190 MOBO 1156
$209.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067 CPU I5 2.8GHZ

Notes.
1. This is probably not the absolute 100% cheapest system to run PSO-2 However I wanted to overshoot a bit to make sure you would definitely run it. If you wanted it cheaper than this we could lower the mobo and the CPU back to the PRE I5/7 days models. This MIGHT shave $100 if we are lucky

2. The 6850 Graphics card in this system is really nice. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/16 AMD is on their A-Game when it comes to price vs performance!

4. You could play with this system a bit to customize it. Change your case, add a harddrive, ect. I wouldn't change the MOBO/CPU/RAM unless you know what you are doing.

I've got a few things to say about this build. First of all the PSU. No one these days should ever get anything less than 80+. The efficiency on anything else can drop as low as 50%. This isn't good. Also a 450W PSU could run this just fine.

The rest of it'll definitely work. It's certainly a budget PC.... but it'll work.

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 11:26 AM
If I buffed the GPU up..would that help boost the performance rate up or would I just have to get alot of OTHER stuff to compensate for the upgrade?

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Your wish is my command.

Notes.

Where's the OS? You need a 64-bit OS for that machine or you're out a gig of RAM, and you don't link to a OS at all. anyone getting this rig add $100 for a 63 bit edition of windows 7

I think that if Nuke was to add to your thread, you would have felt he WAS stepping on your toes. I think that for many of us console guys it's good to seperate the two as one is more for building and the other is more for specs. :-?

If you read my opening post, I invited people to contribute

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
=) You sir just saved me 200 bucks......I want to kiss you right now....But it would feel awkward.
BUT THANKS =D! I may ask more questions in the future but for now I will just copy and paste it to a document.

WAIT QUick question, so PSO2.....how high would you guess? Like HIGH- Max settings? Or just regular to high?

It will most likely run on MAX the game does not look taxing.... However PSU was really CPU heavy for its looks. Never know.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've got a few things to say about this build. First of all the PSU. No one these days should ever get anything less than 80+. The efficiency on anything else can drop as low as 50%. This isn't good. Also a 450W PSU could run this just fine.

The rest of it'll definitely work. It's certainly a budget PC.... but it'll work.

They asked me to build a budget PC. I am not going to pull a $1,500 system out! ha.

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 11:39 AM
I agree though that you should go with a different PSU. You should be able to get a 500W seasonic or corsair for not a lot more, they'll be glad they did.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:39 AM
Where's the OS? You need a 64-bit OS for that machine or you're out a gig of RAM, and you don't link to a OS at all. anyone getting this rig add $100 for a 63 bit edition of windows 7

Yes. I would also like to stress you need a 64BIT OS. I would say Home Premium X64 WINDOWS 7 would be great.

I don't normally add this because some people already have a disk that has installs left on it. Or access to the MSDN.

I think if you are a college student you can get W7 X64 for free or $15. I got it for free through school when I was in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986
Here is the link

This is an OEM disk. Meaning ONE PC only. Get the retail version if you want 3PCs to use the key.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:44 AM
I agree though that you should go with a different PSU. YOu should be able to get a 500W seasonic or corsair for not a lot more/ they'll be glad they did.

Here are a few more but for the most part it wont matter at this wattage range vs the PCs useage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339036
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

If you were pushing 500-600 in USED power then sure. However this PC will pull closer to 350-400 at most. Almost any mid grade PSU will be fine as long as you overshoot the wattage and don't stress it.

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
These days most people buy whole PCs and have no reason to buy Retail copies of an OS. it's better not to assume and tell them they may need it than not tell them at all.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
If I buffed the GPU up..would that help boost the performance rate up or would I just have to get alot of OTHER stuff to compensate for the upgrade?

You would only need a bigger power supply. For instance if you wanted this beast: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554

You should get a 600-> 700W PSU like this to compensate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

The big GPUs require their own power hookups and this PSU has them and can output the power needed.

If you wanted this card : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102913
You would probably not have to upgrade the PSU.

For those wondering AMD cards go like this
Series,Level,Spec

So the 6850 is one step below 6870 which is below the 6950 which is below the 6970

Hotobu
Jul 28, 2011, 11:54 AM
They asked me to build a budget PC. I am not going to pull a $1,500 system out! ha.
Except going with a K series processor, a P67 motherboard, and at least 1333 memory would be like $60 more perform a lot better and would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
These days most people buy whole PCs and have no reason to buy Retail copies of an OS. it's better not to assume and tell them they may need it than not tell them at all.

Thanks for pointing that out. I honestly missed it. My bad.

str898mustang
Jul 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
I went the easy route and bought a custom built PC. $1600 well spent.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
Except going with a K series processor, a P67 motherboard, and at least 1333 memory would be like $60 more perform a lot better and would make a hell of a lot more sense.

"K" implys overclocking. This isn't a pc enthusiast thread.
1333 ram would be soooooo marginal I doubt even a millisecond would change between tasks.
P67 MOBO not sure about this.

Overall your adding price. That 60 makes it 640 dollars. Then you might as well add a 2nd hard drive for 40 more and do raid 0 for speed and add an aftermarket cooler to the cpu.

ect ect ect untill you have 1200 dollars. lol

Anyone is free to have me "up" the price. Your biggest perf gains are going to be in getting an I7 and moving up the GPU a few notches.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 12:01 PM

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it!

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't need a OEM or a disk. My friend is lending me his xD. So it will still be $577.92 =)

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
I don't need a OEM or a disk. My friend is lending me his xD. So it will still be $577.92 =)

Yea, a lot of people have other routes to get one. Good news for you!
I have site licenses and other routes available to me when I construct PCs so I often forget about it.

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
Lol if you EVER need a job, I could hook you up with one for DRS and Harris. My job is as a placement personal helps me get people like YOU into high tech jobs =D! Plus my boss would be all happy. But that's least I can do for you if you ever become jobless. Just make sure you have 5 years of more <.< I hate people who send me a resume and they LACK experience D=<

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 12:10 PM
Lol if you EVER need a job, I could hook you up with one for DRS and Harris. My job is as a placement personal helps me get people like YOU into high tech jobs =D! Plus my boss would be all happy. But that's least I can do for you if you ever become jobless. Just make sure you have 5 years of more <.< I hate people who send me a resume and they LACK experience D=<

Ha, well I will keep it in mind. I am currently happily employed at a great company as a software engineer in MN. Salary + OT? Win

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
I get 8 bucks an hour =(............Just started college.....:'(

But if I have anymore question I will ask either you or NIKIO!=D

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
I get 8 bucks an hour =(............Just started college.....:'(

But if I have anymore question I will ask either you or NIKIO!=D

That's different lol. You'll get out and make more money than you know what to do with. (Depending on what you go for of course)

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 02:37 PM

Only problem with this is if your friend has an OEM version, you're still SoL. If you install an OEM version a second time but on a different computer, micro soft with fail the authentication and you'll need to buy an activation code anyway

Same price if not more.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
Only problem with this is if your friend has an OEM version, you're still SoL. If you install an OEM version a second time but on a different computer, micro soft with fail the authentication and you'll need to buy an atication code anyway

Same price if not more.

Yea, double check that it is legal. Otherwise make sure you have an extra hundred laying around just in case.

blazingsonic
Jul 28, 2011, 05:04 PM
you're paying too much

that cpu is way overkill and those custom build jobs always overcharge. you're getting screwed. dont get more than a quad-core for gaming

I've seen something that looks like that on Dell.com, what is that?
Do I REALLY need a 1,000 CPU for PSO2?

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 05:09 PM

Any I5 or I7 should do really....

Ecchi
Jul 28, 2011, 05:50 PM

Coulda built your own and made it so much better -_-

And its easy to build a Pc anyways! And money wasn't a prob for you obviously -_-

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 07:23 PM

Pretty sure i said you didn;t need a i7 970 and that anything more than a quad-core CPU was overkill for gaming in general. to be even more clear even 120 dollar i3 will work as well as any $100+ AMD CPU. The only reason to go with more is for future proofing, but a i7 970 or 980 extreme or anything over the $350 mark is just throwing your money away. For gaming an i7 2600(k) on stock settings can outperform a $1000 CPU in most games and many daily tasks according to benchmarks, though I haven't compared them side by side. Even with the x58 chipset's triple channel memory, the newer sandy bridge CPUs are extremely well designed.

So just to reiterate, if you buy anything above a 2600k in terms of cost when the most you're doing is gaming, you're wasting your money.

blazingsonic
Jul 28, 2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7221312&Sku=I455-56400 Is................This a good one? Sorry but this topic and many conversations outside as sparked my urge for computer knowledge.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7221312&Sku=I455-56400 Is................This a good one? Sorry but this topic and many conversations outside as sparked my urge for computer knowledge.

It will probably run PSO-2 However my cheap build is about the same cost and is better.

Corey Blue
Jul 28, 2011, 09:34 PM
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+104]
* HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+51] (Single Hard Drive)
* MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [+64] (Corsair or Major Brand)
* MOTHERBOARD: Zotac Z68ITX-A-E Intel Z68 mITX Mainboard w/ Onboard Intel HD Graphics, 7.1 HD Audio, Dual GbLAN, WiFi, Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, SATA-III RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe X16 [+43]
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+518] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

1993$ It's a mini btw,will this last?

Fayorei
Jul 28, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a pre-built gaming laptop, but I just wanted to say this is a really nice and helpful topic, and thanks for helping the community.:D

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:38 PM
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+104]
* HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+51] (Single Hard Drive)
* MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [+64] (Corsair or Major Brand)
* MOTHERBOARD: Zotac Z68ITX-A-E Intel Z68 mITX Mainboard w/ Onboard Intel HD Graphics, 7.1 HD Audio, Dual GbLAN, WiFi, Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, SATA-III RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe X16 [+43]
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+518] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

1993$ It's a mini btw,will this last?

Oh man, that's like asking if a Bugatti Veyron is a fast car.

Of course it will last. Probably 6 years at a minimum at MAX settings.

Is it overkill? Probably :) Nothing wrong with a little bit of overkill though.

PS. I like the sound card!

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
I have a pre-built gaming laptop, but I just wanted to say this is a really nice and helpful topic, and thanks for helping the community.:D

No problem! Thanks for the complement!
Enjoy your laptop, it sounds like your proud of it!

Corey Blue
Jul 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm also not sure whither to get a desktop or a laptop,because I'm going to go active in the army soon,and I would like something that will last.I was thinking of getting a Alienware mx14 but the graphic card is not upgradable and that's the only thing keeping me from buying it.(I think it's not upgradable.)but the desktop mini is so I'm kinda torn between the two.EDIT:After seeing your post I might just get the mini and thanks.:))

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm also not sure whither to get a desktop or a laptop,because I'm going to go active in the army soon,and I would like something that will last.I was thinking of getting a Alienware mx14 but the graphic card is not upgradable and that's the only thing keeping me from buying it.(I think it's not upgradable.)but the desktop mini is so I'm kinda torn between the two.EDIT:After seeing your post I might just get the mini and thanks.:))

I just wanted to say that this is the graphics card that is in that build you posted here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162073

I just wanted to note how ******* awesome it looks. The 3 turbines on that heat sink just make it look beastly.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:48 PM

The MX14 is a nice machine. I have a friend with one. You are right though. If you get a laptop go balls to the walls on it because you can NOT upgrade anything about them.

Corey Blue
Jul 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
I just wanted to say that this is the graphics card that is in that build you posted here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162073

I just wanted to note how ******* awesome it looks. The 3 turbines on that heat sink just make it look beastly.
It's so damn sexy...and yeah I made my mind,I'm getting the mini.Oh and thanks helping me choose.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 09:54 PM
Aww yeah nerd gasms over here.Cant wait to get this.:D

Photos if you do please.

Corey Blue
Jul 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
Photos if you do please.

No problem,I'll post them up as soon as I get it.;-)

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 10:21 PM
I just wanted to note that I am getting private messages as well. I will answer them however I am getting a FLOOD of messages between this and my inbox. Please be patient!

People are free to add me to MSN messager as well. PM me for my email.

Ecchi
Jul 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
This whole dam forum is full of PC noobs lol

Happy to know alot of em are willing to upgrade to a good Pc for Pso2 true fans ;)

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
This whole dam forum is full of PC noobs lol

Happy to know alot of em are willing to upgrade to a good Pc for Pso2 true fans ;)

A good PC can be used for a lot more than games as well :)

Ark22
Jul 28, 2011, 11:18 PM
Well the 360...is the poor mans PC..

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:47 PM
Well the 360...is the poor mans PC..

Agreed, but I am not sure what this proving for this thread. lol

A 360 can probably only do 1% of the things a Windows 7 machine can.

Hotobu
Jul 28, 2011, 11:47 PM
Oh man, that's like asking if a Bugatti Veyron is a fast car.

Of course it will last. Probably 6 years at a minimum at MAX settings.

Is it overkill? Probably :) Nothing wrong with a little bit of overkill though.

PS. I like the sound card!

It's also $600 too much.

Nuclearranger
Jul 28, 2011, 11:53 PM
It's also $600 too much.

I agree that you could get a comparable machine for a few hundred less. However it isn't my money and for some money is not an issue.

There is a law of deminishing returns on a desktop.

If you add $100 dollars to your desktop depending on your current price range you will get different results.
For example....

A 400 dollar desktop going to a 500 dollar desktop is going to be a BIG change. You probably had NO GPU at all on the 400 and now you do.

500->600 still a big change but not as big.
Now once you hit 1200 going to 1300 is going to be barely noticeable.

While the 1900 dollar desktop is going to beat a 1400 desktop both will play Crysis at 1080P with 60+ FPS the 1900 dollar desktop may average 100 while the 1400 dollar desktop probably averages 75.

The gains over a certain point wont matter. What will change is the longevity of the system. A 1900 desktop may last an extra 2 years before being "out of date"

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 12:04 AM
Do you just type for the sake of typing? Diminishing returns and the rest of the tangent you went off on has nothing to do with it. The parts in that machine don't add up to $2000.

Corey Blue
Jul 29, 2011, 12:13 AM
Do you just type for the sake of typing? Diminishing returns and the rest of the tangent you went off on has nothing to do with it. The parts in that machine don't add up to $2000.

Well yeah if I was building one it might be cheaper,but I'm buying this online,unless you got a computer that's cheaper let me know.(I cant build pc's for crap,but I do know my parts.)and that bolded part was unnecessary

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 12:34 AM
It wasn't unnecessary to me. I don't know if this thread has gone to his head, but he's just grandstanding for the hell of it. I said your machine costs too much and he got on his soapbox and started talking about... well whatever.

As for your computer first of all the 2600K is a waste for gaming. It performs equal to the 2500K, but even with that I built a computer with the same specs for $1520

Putting a computer together is simple as hell, but if you want to pay $470 for putting together a few parts that would take... about an hour then its your money to blow.

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 02:58 AM
the 2600k may not give you much more for gaming, but how many people get a brand new computer and JUST game with it? I do agree that anything over the 2600k is a complete waste of money, however.

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 03:08 AM
The counter to that being how many tasks can someone (especially the people in this thread) do with a 2600K where they'll notice the difference over a 2500K?

and to throw salt on that how many would pay $100 more for that performance?

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 03:18 AM
I didn't pay 100 more for it. I paid 70 more for it, and I'd do it again.

Side by side the 2600k is going to severely outperform the 2500 in anything that supports multithreading. I'm sorry if you don't get anything out of that, but others do.

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 07:08 AM
It will probably run PSO-2 However my cheap build is about the same cost and is better.

Better how? If it runs PSO2 like a beast, then what more would I need?

Malachite
Jul 29, 2011, 07:12 AM
That's a silly question. Why wouldn't you want something better for the same price?

r00tabaga
Jul 29, 2011, 08:21 AM
Nuke, what is your gaming laptop of choice?

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:17 AM

Wow a bit harsh. I obviously didn't go out and google it part by part and I feel bad for you if you had the time to do that.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
It wasn't unnecessary to me. I don't know if this thread has gone to his head, but he's just grandstanding for the hell of it. I said your machine costs too much and he got on his soapbox and started talking about... well whatever.

As for your computer first of all the 2600K is a waste for gaming. It performs equal to the 2500K, but even with that I built a computer with the same specs for $1520

Putting a computer together is simple as hell, but if you want to pay $470 for putting together a few parts that would take... about an hour then its your money to blow.

Gone to my head? Grandstanding?

lol really? I could stop posting after this post and I wouldn't lose anything for it.
You act like I am drunk with power or something over a vast amount of peons.

Seriously, the post you made was not clear enough to only take in ONE way. I obviously took it as you meant 1900 was too much to spend on a desktop, and imo 1900 is a bit over what I would do.

Grandstanding? Come on, this is charity work, not some power hungry feast I am indulging in.

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
Wow a bit harsh. I obviously didn't go out and google it part by part and I feel bad for you if you had the time to do that.

Didn't have to initially. I knew a good ballpark for the prices of everything off the top of my head. Also LOL @ the lame "you had time" comeback attempt. Googleing (or just going to Newegg) takes 5 minutes tops when you know what you're looking for.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:28 AM
I didn't pay 100 more for it. I paid 70 more for it, and I'd do it again.

Side by side the 2600k is going to severely outperform the 2500 in anything that supports multithreading. I'm sorry if you don't get anything out of that, but others do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/15

Not to post anything useless but the 2600k is obviously better. It costs more, sure but I would probably get it if the difference was only $70.

This is more of a "How much money is *Small* to you" argument than a perf vs perf.

Someone who only has $500 to their name obviously is going to go "SEVENTY DOLLARS NO F*ing WAY" and I dont blame them. Vs someone who makes 150k a year would probably go for it.

On the technical side, depending on the tasks the 2600k COULD blow the 2500 out of the water.
In terms of gaming ONLY probably not.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
Better how? If it runs PSO2 like a beast, then what more would I need?

Well if your only going to play PSO-2 then nothing.... but as a above poster said. If you can get MORE for the same amount of cash then why wouldn't you?

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
Nuke, what is your gaming laptop of choice?

:(

I honestly don't hold a brand preference. When I shop for laptops I go to newegg with a goal in mind.

Go to their laptop section and sort their selection down.

Find a nice laptop with a decent GPU and CPU. If you can spring the 12XX+ dollars for the laptops with the I7s I would recommend it. I5 is going to be cheaper if you want to save a bit.

CPU- see above
Ram- 4GB +
OS- WINDOWS 7 X64
GPU- Shoot for a gpu that is 5850, 5870, 6850, 6870, ect If it starts with a 5 or 6 followed by an 8 or 9 and then a 5 or 7 it is going to run PSO-2 without issue. Anything else I would post here and ask about. ( I wont explain NVidia just post here and ask because I would have to look those up)
SCREEN- This is unique to laptops. This one is up to you. If you want HD get a 1080p monitor but be prepared to pay a premium.

Brand- I could usually care less. I have seen good acer's, dell's, alienware's, HP's and a pile of others.

If none of the above works for you. Go to different manufacture's sites and custom build something that fits. I have always liked DELL.COM very professional looking. NOTE: This is probably a more pricy route.

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
BTW for anyone who's actually going to build their system you should go to Microcenter to buy your processor (and if that isn't close Fry's will do a pricematch). Everything except for the processor will almost always be cheaper online, especially when you factor in tax, but in an effort to get people into their stores to buy stuff they sell processors at a big loss. The smart shopper buys everything online, and goes into these stores for just a processor and nothing else.

r00tabaga
Jul 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
:(

I honestly don't hold a brand preference. When I shop for laptops I go to newegg with a goal in mind.

Go to their laptop section and sort their selection down.

Find a nice laptop with a decent GPU and CPU. If you can spring the 12XX+ dollars for the laptops with the I7s I would recommend it. I5 is going to be cheaper if you want to save a bit.

CPU- see above
Ram- 4GB +
OS- WINDOWS 7 X64
GPU- Shoot for a gpu that is 5850, 5870, 6850, 6870, ect If it starts with a 5 or 6 followed by an 8 or 9 and then a 5 or 7 it is going to run PSO-2 without issue. Anything else I would post here and ask about. ( I wont explain NVidia just post here and ask because I would have to look those up)
SCREEN- This is unique to laptops. This one is up to you. If you want HD get a 1080p monitor but be prepared to pay a premium.

Brand- I could usually care less. I have seen good acer's, dell's, alienware's, HP's and a pile of others.

If none of the above works for you. Go to different manufacture's sites and custom build something that fits. I have always liked DELL.COM very professional looking. NOTE: This is probably a more pricy route.

I ask b/c a few of my friends at work love their Alienwares but a few people on these boards say they're junk. Other PC boards say they're rated the best & have the best service. I just wanted a 3rd opinion b/c I'm either going Asus or Alien. Thx-

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
I ask b/c a few of my friends at work love their Alienwares but a few people on these boards say they're junk. Other PC boards say they're rated the best & have the best service. I just wanted a 3rd opinion b/c I'm either going Asus or Alien. Thx-

"Junk" is a nebulous adjective. When someone says something like that ask for a qualifier. Alienware is "junk" because it's grossly overpriced. That said they do have good attention to small details that will affect game performance. They're good, but the dollar to value ratio isn't there.

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/15

Not to post anything useless but the 2600k is obviously better. It costs more, sure but I would probably get it if the difference was only $70.

This is more of a "How much money is *Small* to you" argument than a perf vs perf.

Someone who only has $500 to their name obviously is going to go "SEVENTY DOLLARS NO F*ing WAY" and I dont blame them. Vs someone who makes 150k a year would probably go for it.

On the technical side, depending on the tasks the 2600k COULD blow the 2500 out of the water.
In terms of gaming ONLY probably not.

not really sure why this is directed at me. I've been saying the 2600k is a great processor and would choose it over a 2500k given the cost. I'm well aware that its in no way a budget processor and what that all means. Again I post several builds on my thread that range from ~750 to 2k+, illustrating this point so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
Would I I3-2310 processor with 6 GB of ram suffice? Also it is a laptop. Gonna find out the GPU when I got to the store

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 11:25 AM
the gpu is really the biggest concern o_O

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 11:31 AM
Would I I3-2310 processor with 6 GB of ram suffice? Also it is a laptop. Gonna find out the GPU when I got to the store

Yea we will need to know the GPU the game itself wont take a TON of CPU power other than the networking tasks.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
the gpu is really the biggest concern o_O

Agreed. The CPU should run it. However he should probably make sure nothing is running in the background that is unwanted the I3 is no powerhorse by any means.

Corey Blue
Jul 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
Ok this laptop is upgradeable.Is it a good deal? http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&update_id=168582

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ok this laptop is upgradeable.Is it a good deal? http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&update_id=168582

Broken link?

Corey Blue
Jul 29, 2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special&mid=NP8150 better?

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special&mid=NP8150 better?

Seems like just about as good as you can get *they don't come a whole lot faster...* Price wise is just above that 1200-1300 mark that I am seeing some I7 laptops for on Newegg. However they dont have that graphics card.

What I am curious about is where you found that it was upgradeable?

Corey Blue
Jul 29, 2011, 12:48 PM
Seems like just about as good as you can get *they don't come a whole lot faster...* Price wise is just above that 1200-1300 mark that I am seeing some I7 laptops for on Newegg. However they dont have that graphics card.

What I am curious about is where you found that it was upgradeable?

Well I think can swap the graphics card in this laptop.You should be able to.I dont think the graphic card is integrated into the computer.Since it can use up to date graphic card's,I could be wrong though.

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 12:53 PM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 it say it can run Mass Effect 2.

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 03:12 PM
That's a silly question. Why wouldn't you want something better for the same price?

If there something better for the same price by all means tell me, I want to make sure I'm 100% ready for PSO2.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well I think can swap the graphics card in this laptop.You should be able to.I dont think the graphic card is integrated into the computer.Since it can use up to date graphic card's,I could be wrong though.

Thats the thing I don't think you can buy laptop GPUs anywhere. I could be wrong though.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
If there something better for the same price by all means tell me, I want to make sure I'm 100% ready for PSO2.

Post your original link again. I think my minimum PC beats it for nearly the same price. That is all Mal. meant by that.

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 03:23 PM
Okay I have a question, my Laptop has the following, A Geforce 8400M GS and a Intel Core Duo CPU T8300 am I good for PSO2 or do I need to something higher?

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7221312&Sku=I455-56400 If you know where I can get better let me know, for the record I have 0 PC building experience so I like to avoid doing that for now, til I can get more money to blow towards learning out with a practice CPU building kit.

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
Putting together a PC is like putting blocks together with plugs =D. Just ask a expert what size case and everything that fits and the rest is a walk in the park. ALSO the GPU is a Intel HD graphics 3000. I think it should work

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 05:52 PM
Going to the store to buy that laptop =D! Hopefully Intel HD3000 can run PSO2...Think it should. Pso2 doesn't look like a power whore

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
From what the specs show on other topics looks like it it won't, I might get one of those CPU that looks like a game console.

Malachite
Jul 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
I think you mean PC, lol. CPU means processor. But no, your gpu doesn't cut it.

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
About to buy myself a really badass laptop

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6140us-15.6-Laptop-with-Beats-Audio/product_332978

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 08:44 PM
Okay I have a question, my Laptop has the following, A Geforce 8400M GS and a Intel Core Duo CPU T8300 am I good for PSO2 or do I need to something higher?

After looking up the GPU and CPU I would say it MIGHT pull low end settings, even then with intermittent slowdowns...

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks, okay that point has been pounded in, I need a either a new PC or Laptop, one that overkill the game and not drain my bank account, I never build a PC before the what worries me is the motherboard and the really small parts, I won't go to that if I don't have to, I know Dell likes to sell their brand but that's only place I ever did business with.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7221312&Sku=I455-56400 If you know where I can get better let me know, for the record I have 0 PC building experience so I like to avoid doing that for now, til I can get more money to blow towards learning out with a practice CPU building kit.

For that amount of money.... I would REALLY stress you buy the build I posted and build that. I can assure you it is pretty easy.

Basically...

Put the CD drive in the case, put the harddrive in the case

bolt the MOBO to the back of the case

put the cpu in the mobo

plug the GPU in, ram in, anything else in

put the power supply in the case

plug all of the parts to the PSU

turn it on, install windows

NOTE: extremely rough directions, typed up in 20 seconds.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 08:50 PM
Going to the store to buy that laptop =D! Hopefully Intel HD3000 can run PSO2...Think it should. Pso2 doesn't look like a power whore

I never trust intel graphics cards. They tend to be integrated and under performing...

I hope it works out for you as it looks like you already got it.

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the 3000 is under the spec. even if it's not, I wouldn't trust it. intel graphics have gotten better, but no one who plans on playing anything more than flash games would seriously consider intel graphics as a valid solution

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 08:55 PM
About to buy myself a really badass laptop

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6140us-15.6-Laptop-with-Beats-Audio/product_332978

I am having an almost impossible time finding reviews for that laptops graphics card : AMD Radeon HD 6620

I found one and it was hard to make out. It should be fine for PSO-2 but do not expect MAX settings at all.

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 08:57 PM
I am having an almost impossible time finding reviews for that laptops graphics card : AMD Radeon HD 6620

I found one and it was hard to make out. It should be fine for PSO-2 but do not expect MAX settings at all.

pretty sure it's that new llano integrated gpu. check some generic laptop passmark benchmarks for a quick comparison. that should be enough

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure the 3000 is under the spec. even if it's not, I wouldn't trust it. intel graphics have gotten better, but no one who plans on playing anything more than flash games would seriously consider intel graphics as a valid solution

I completely agree. The only reason it's there is to deliver the bare basics....

Laptops in general are really hard to game on for less than double a compatible desktop (in cost) and even then you have heat issues.

For those of you buying a gaming laptop with dedicated graphics. Invest in a cooling pad. They work wonders even though it doesn't look like it. I have seen Crysis destroy a laptop at a lan party.

Nuclearranger
Jul 29, 2011, 09:01 PM
pretty sure it's that new llano integrated gpu. check some generic laptop passmark benchmarks for a quick comparison. that should be enough

Thanks for looking that up!

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 09:19 PM
=D So it may be able to push med-high settings?

blazingsonic
Jul 29, 2011, 10:17 PM
Would a PC with a AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 + ATI Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB be able to run PSo2 on a high setting?

cheapgunner
Jul 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
I've seen a couple links/ vids of how to build a pc and I'm somewhat knowledgeable about them (motherboards, cpus).

When/If I decide to build one for pso2 and in general, are online guides / videos enough or should I ask online tech( dell, other computer-related sites) for help? S

ince I don't want to fry anything, especially the motherboard or cpu.

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
depends on the guide and depends on you. For example I have a friend who can't figure out how to take out his intake fan filters on his tower and no guide out there could make it easier on him, yet I built my first computer without any guides or help at all.

I would say it's unlikely you'll need more than a guide and to ask a few people here or on a site like tom's hardware or overclock.net

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 11:11 PM
depends on the guide and depends on you. For example I have a friend who can't figure out how to take out his intake fan filters on his tower and no guide out there could make it easier on him, yet I built my first computer without any guides or help at all.

I would say it's unlikely you'll need more than a guide and to ask a few people here or on a site like tom's hardware or overclock.net

In retrospect, SOME PEOPLE GOT IT and some people don't

Niloklives
Jul 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
In retrospect, SOME PEOPLE GOT IT and some people don't

You mean "to reiterate". retrospect is the same as looking back, or hindsight.

Ark22
Jul 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
You mean "to reiterate". retrospect is the same as looking back, or hindsight.

That to

Kaiyou_Trinon
Jul 30, 2011, 12:09 AM
When it comes to computers, let's just say that I am about a 4 on a scale of 1 through 10 and 10 being a professional. I'll get right to it, gonna copy and paste my laptop's info.

Windows 7 Home Premium

System

Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

Model: Satallite L505D

Rating: 4.2 Windows Experience Index

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.75GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

I just want to be able to play PSO2 on a good setting rather then the lowest one, what would I need and where are some places I might be able to get said items for a decent enough price? Thanks in advance whoever can help.

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 12:13 AM
that's a laptop isn't it? looks like you have a very basic GPU in there. I'd need to know which it is for sure, but based on the CPU and such I doubt the video can sustain a constant framerate even at low settings.

I'd need to know the GPU to verify that though.

Kaiyou_Trinon
Jul 30, 2011, 12:17 AM
It's a laptop, but uh where can I find the GPU? Pretty new when it comes to these things.

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 12:21 AM
Start(windows) menu. right click computer. device manager. display adapters.

Kaiyou_Trinon
Jul 30, 2011, 12:26 AM
After clicking display adapters I got this.

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 12:30 AM
yeah unfortunately that gpu probably wont even let the game start up properly.

Kaiyou_Trinon
Jul 30, 2011, 12:31 AM
Had a feeling 500 bucks wasn't enough Lol This doesn't sound good for me.
So what would I need?

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 12:56 AM
for a laptop? really all i can do is go down a list, which no offense, is something you can do. as far as a new laptop goes though, dont get below a 460M. this is the list I'm using http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
Any gpu above rank 70 will do the job, but i would look for something as high up on that last as you can afford since you're stuck with that GPU til you get a new laptop.

I strongly recommend a desktop for gaming if your situation will allow it. They're cheaper and much more powerful which gives a better performance to dollar ratio.

Corey Blue
Jul 30, 2011, 01:01 AM
I found a nice cheap alienware mx17 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-200-049&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

This my last time posting a pc,since I kinda know what I want already.(but is this good?)

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 01:15 AM
I hate alienware so no comment

Kaiyou_Trinon
Jul 30, 2011, 01:18 AM
for a laptop? really all i can do is go down a list, which no offense, is something you can do. as far as a new laptop goes though, dont get below a 460M. this is the list I'm using http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
Any gpu above rank 70 will do the job, but i would look for something as high up on that last as you can afford since you're stuck with that GPU til you get a new laptop.

I strongly recommend a desktop for gaming if your situation will allow it. They're cheaper and much more powerful which gives a better performance to dollar ratio.
If that's the case I think I'll rather save up for a desktop, any idea of a price on a desktop that will be enough to run the game better then lower setting?

Corey Blue
Jul 30, 2011, 01:19 AM
Can you love it just this one time for me?? I'll never bother you guys again about this stuff.:) I still got my eyes on that desktop mini.

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 01:50 AM
If that's the case I think I'll rather save up for a desktop, any idea of a price on a desktop that will be enough to run the game better then lower setting?

Most everything that I can recommend is by building the computer yourself. desktops are extremely easy to put together so it's hard to tell you to buy a gaming PC in good conscience. as far as building, this thread and my thread in the PSO2 forum both have guides for buying parts, building rigs and complete build solutions. outside of that, the game will run on mid to high settings on a mid range GPU like a 5770 or a 550 Ti. you can certainly go beyond that but as far as PSO2, you're set with those.

If you insist on buying one, make sure the computer has a dedicated graphics card. newegg has some options for gaming PCs with good GPUs. You save a lot of money buy building your own machine though.

Can you love it just this one time for me?? I'll never bother you guys again about this stuff.:) I still got my eyes on that desktop mini.

Don't get the alienware

Kaiyou_Trinon
Jul 30, 2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks a lot I'll check out the threads about that, saving money is the way to go nowadays. Plus who knows when PSO2 will be released here in the US.

Corey Blue
Jul 30, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7280 Ok the price for this is 2,150$ but my only problem is the possessor,will it last or how does that work really? Intel Core i7-960 Processor

r00tabaga
Jul 30, 2011, 04:50 PM
Most everything that I can recommend is by building the computer yourself. desktops are extremely easy to put together so it's hard to tell you to buy a gaming PC in good conscience. as far as building, this thread and my thread in the PSO2 forum both have guides for buying parts, building rigs and complete build solutions. outside of that, the game will run on mid to high settings on a mid range GPU like a 5770 or a 550 Ti. you can certainly go beyond that but as far as PSO2, you're set with those.

If you insist on buying one, make sure the computer has a dedicated graphics card. newegg has some options for gaming PCs with good GPUs. You save a lot of money buy building your own machine though.

Don't get the alienware
Have you ever had an Alienware? Or at least used one??? :-? It seems like you are very bitter towards even the mention of the word Alienware. Just curious if you have an example 'cuz I thought they handled Crysis great & looked cool as hell!

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
you seem to be confusing the processing power with the value and the quality of the parts. cheaply doesn't always mean low performance. it means they cut costs by using parts that are less dependable and flimsy. it means they dont take fully take into account and build their machines fully aware that they are prone to overheat. Dell is also known for using proprietary parts so that if(when) something DOES fail, they want you to pay them to fix it. Lastly, they charge too much money for what you get. They trade on a name that no longer has any meaning. I've explained this before and you PERSONALLY choose to ignore what I say regardless of how many different times I say it and how many different ways. So from here on, I'll assume asking me about alienware is an attempt to troll me.

And I don't need to own an alienware to know what's wrong with it. it's called reading reports and word of mouth from people that buy them. I don't own a laptop. I don't use laptops. I have no reason to use a laptop, and why would a buy a prebuilt desktop when I can build my own?

If you want to buy an Alienware, I certainly can't stop you, but I have qualified my reasoning more than enough times and refuse to allow you to badger me over something just so I'll give you the answer you want.

r00tabaga
Jul 30, 2011, 11:24 PM
Well I certainly don't want you to feel badgered Nilok but if you've never used one or owned one it seems like you're relying too much on magazines and such for your basis. It is like never being in love but trying to explain to someone what it's like on nothing more than a book you read about it.
Bad analogy but you get the point.

Ark22
Jul 31, 2011, 12:45 PM
Lol just saying xD. It just seemed weird.

ANYWHO http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6620G.54675.0.html

This is the little check (Thanks to Sir Niko) I got for my AMD. should run PSO2 fairly well.

Ark22
Jul 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
Nah, my madre bought it for me as a college gift. I on the other hand still have alot of money tucked away. You guys just assume I am wasting money. I couldn't choose the laptop so I hoped that one could run. I may just use Nukes custom build. the $577. Since I already have a windows 7 installation disk.

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry was away for most of the weekend!

Would a PC with a AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 + ATI Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB be able to run PSo2 on a high setting?

The 6450 is more of their budget lineup, this will probably not allow HIGH but game will almost certainly be playable.

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
When it comes to computers, let's just say that I am about a 4 on a scale of 1 through 10 and 10 being a professional. I'll get right to it, gonna copy and paste my laptop's info.

Windows 7 Home Premium

System

Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

Model: Satallite L505D

Rating: 4.2 Windows Experience Index

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.75GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

I just want to be able to play PSO2 on a good setting rather then the lowest one, what would I need and where are some places I might be able to get said items for a decent enough price? Thanks in advance whoever can help.

Being a laptop it looks like it will be really hard to upgrade if possible at all.....

You might beable to run it on a lower setting with occasional slowdown but for sure not high if the GPU doesn't make standards.

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:07 PM
I found a nice cheap alienware mx17 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-200-049&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

This my last time posting a pc,since I kinda know what I want already.(but is this good?)

This will most certainly run PSO-2 on high. The 5870 is a great GPU.

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7280 Ok the price for this is 2,150$ but my only problem is the possessor,will it last or how does that work really? Intel Core i7-960 Processor

Im not sure why it wouldn't last as long as any other PC.... the price seems wayyyy high for what you need though.

Again 1200-1500 on newegg with an I7 and top end GPU. Why would you want more?

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:12 PM
Well I certainly don't want you to feel badgered Nilok but if you've never used one or owned one it seems like you're relying too much on magazines and such for your basis. It is like never being in love but trying to explain to someone what it's like on nothing more than a book you read about it.
Bad analogy but you get the point.

Really Nilok and I (probably) know nothing seriously wrong with alienware. However they are OVERPRICED. Why pay more than you have to?

That is all....

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:15 PM
Nah, my madre bought it for me as a college gift. I on the other hand still have alot of money tucked away. You guys just assume I am wasting money. I couldn't choose the laptop so I hoped that one could run. I may just use Nukes custom build. the $577. Since I already have a windows 7 installation disk.

I am not assuming anything. I am only here for informative purposes.

The Min build I posted earlier is going to be great for PSO-2 however dont expect it to be the best thing ever.

There are more options to upgrade it as well if you have the cash! (you can do this in the future too)

Ark22
Jul 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
I am not assuming anything. I am only here for informative purposes.

The Min build I posted earlier is going to be great for PSO-2 however dont expect it to be the best thing ever.

There are more options to upgrade it as well if you have the cash! (you can do this in the future too)

Lol not you xD You gave me great advice. I would never say anything horrible about you :P AKA don't bite the hand that feeds you.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...G.54675.0.html

Would this suffice to run PSO2? Just needed to ask you

If it doesn't work, could you find a laptop that is worth $600 and can run this game? If it can't thanks for trying. This is optional By the way.

Nuclearranger
Jul 31, 2011, 06:39 PM
Lol not you xD You gave me great advice. I would never say anything horrible about you :P AKA don't bite the hand that feeds you.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...G.54675.0.html

Would this suffice to run PSO2? Just needed to ask you

If it doesn't work, could you find a laptop that is worth $600 and can run this game? If it can't thanks for trying. This is optional By the way.

That GPU is a bit low for PSO-2 nor can I really find a STAND OUT laptop for $600.... you might want to keep looking.

If a laptop is a must have and you can not live with a desktop then I would probably wait for black friday or something.... you might find an I5 with a decent GPU for around 600 then

Ark22
Jul 31, 2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the help :P Guess I'll just use that Laptop for dual screening and Work on the BUILD you sent me. That is $577

Nuclearranger
Aug 1, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thread was moved. I agree that tech was a better area for it but the thread will now die.

This was aimed at helping PSO2 players and thus I put it in that thread. Now it will be lost.

r00tabaga
Aug 1, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thread was moved. I agree that tech was a better area for it but the thread will now die.

This was aimed at helping PSO2 players and thus I put it in that thread. Now it will be lost.

It is a shame but I will direct everyone here w/any questions. We are a ways away from this releasing but it's good to get an idea of what I'll need.

Ark22
Aug 2, 2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6256265&Sku=N500-3002

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=401989&Sku=B69-1317

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93097&Sku=B69-1306

Could you check and see if any of these towers could run PSO2?

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6256265&Sku=N500-3002 The GTS 250 plays Crysis so I could only assume this would work. CPU seems soft however.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=401989&Sku=B69-1317 GTS 210 is too weak.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93097&Sku=B69-1306 Unless I am missing something this has no graphics card so it would not work.

The only one that might work is the first one and the CPU on that is pretty outdated. Fairly certain it isn't even dual core.

Ark22
Aug 2, 2011, 12:24 PM
Screw it, I'm just gonna build your tower :P

GOT MAH PAY CHECK...greatest feeling on earth.

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
Screw it, I'm just gonna build your tower :P

GOT MAH PAY CHECK...greatest feeling on earth.

lol, Agreed. Getting paid is nice.

Ark22
Aug 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
Also my boss is giving me his giant case for free :P. I'll send pics when I get it so you can over view it =D

But curious, if I were to get that better mother board, which mother board should I get that would be decent?

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2011, 12:41 PM
Also my boss is giving me his giant case for free :P. I'll send pics when I get it so you can over view it =D

But curious, if I were to get that better mother board, which mother board should I get that would be decent?

You would need a different motherboard that supported a socket type that can handled the I5 or I7 if you wanted to go that route. The motherboard wasn't the limiting factor the processor was. By the time you did that the price would be over my build anyway.

The build I posted should run Crysis just fine (along with other games). Maybe not Maxed however.

The only thing my build probably needs to max 90% of games out there is a GPU upgrade, but even then for a budget PC it's probably not worth it. The GPU i have linked to in that handles itself very well already. You can always do this in the future if you needed to(years down the road.)

Ark22
Aug 2, 2011, 12:48 PM
You would need a different motherboard that supported a socket type that can handled the I5 or I7 if you wanted to go that route. The motherboard wasn't the limiting factor the processor was. By the time you did that the price would be over my build anyway.

The build I posted should run Crysis just fine (along with other games). Maybe not Maxed however.

The only thing my build probably needs to max 90% of games out there is a GPU upgrade, but even then for a budget PC it's probably not worth it. The GPU i have linked to in that handles itself very well already. You can always do this in the future if you needed to(years down the road.)

Alright, So I will just save up ALOT OF MOLA =D! And get this tower in maybe 2 months. I want to play PSO2...really badly. Just keep in mind, when my boss gives me his tower, I will show you pictures and tell me the pros and cons. His tower is pretty massive from what he tells me.

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2011, 01:11 PM
Alright, So I will just save up ALOT OF MOLA =D! And get this tower in maybe 2 months. I want to play PSO2...really badly. Just keep in mind, when my boss gives me his tower, I will show you pictures and tell me the pros and cons. His tower is pretty massive from what he tells me.

It should work but yea, post some photos.

Ark22
Aug 2, 2011, 01:17 PM
He just told me right now, it's a full tower.......A FULL!. Talk about expandable.

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
He just told me right now, it's a full tower.......A FULL!. Talk about expandable.

Free is free.

A full tower is fine as long as you don't do a lot of LAN parties. They are hard to move around.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
Your wish is my command.

Notes.

Just curious, if I were to lower the MOBO and the CPU, how much could I save? Also could it still run the game well? I know you are saying how much, but I just want to be sure P:

Nuclearranger
Aug 3, 2011, 12:07 PM
Just curious, if I were to lower the MOBO and the CPU, how much could I save? Also could it still run the game well? I know you are saying how much, but I just want to be sure P:

Switch the mobo and ram with this.
Mobo 42.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157173 $22 in savings
RAM 44.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160 $17 EXTRA don't ask why...

Chose one of these. The 72.99 one will be *OK* as long as you run NOTHING else with the game. It may bottle neck a bit but the game will play. The 2nd one is just fine for anything, I own a gaming PC with that exact CPU. The final is quad core instead of dual a buddy of mine owns this and its great.

CPU 72.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116076 $137 Saved
CPU 179.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037 $30 Saved
CPU 181.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057 $28 Saved

So depending on the CPU you could save one of the following.

$142 = $436 total with CPU 1
$35 = $543 total with CPU 2
$33 = $545 total with CPU 3

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 12:13 PM
I feel bad asking you to do all these things Dx, but anyway, I got my bosses tower, it looks old, but a tower is just a case, and this tower is BIG. I may just stick with the 577 unless it runs just as well as the the one where I am saving 38 bucks :P

Nuclearranger
Aug 3, 2011, 12:16 PM
I feel bad asking you to do all these things Dx, but anyway, I got my bosses tower, it looks old, but a tower is just a case, and this tower is BIG. I may just stick with the 577 unless it runs just as well as the the one where I am saving 38 bucks :P

The original I5 build will out perform it.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 12:17 PM
The original I5 build will out perform it.

Alrighty then, I'll just save it up P:.

OmGiTzAndre
Aug 4, 2011, 11:57 AM
Your wish is my command.

Notes.

With These Settings..i can play with the settings on Max Correct? Also i plan on streaming this live so it could run stuff in the back ground right?

And for the CPU is this better? its cheaper then the one you listed
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0330706

Ill still Get the same PSU..thats cheap AS well as the power supply

And i can Buy this case and use it without problems right
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156223

Nuclearranger
Aug 4, 2011, 12:51 PM
With These Settings..i can play with the settings on Max Correct? Also i plan on streaming this live so it could run stuff in the back ground right?

Well... I was asked to build the cheapest system that could run PSO-2, not the cheapest that could run PSO-2 on MAX.

To guarantee it would run on max I would go with an I7 and a slightly higher graphics card.

NOTE: THIS SYSTEM MIGHT RUN PSO-2 ON MAX IT IS NOT GUARANTEED EITHER WAY.

OmGiTzAndre
Aug 4, 2011, 01:15 PM
Well... I was asked to build the cheapest system that could run PSO-2, not the cheapest that could run PSO-2 on MAX.

To guarantee it would run on max I would go with an I7 and a slightly higher graphics card.

NOTE: THIS SYSTEM MIGHT RUN PSO-2 ON MAX IT IS NOT GUARANTEED EITHER WAY.

How about this?
And what graphics card you reccommend?

Nuclearranger
Aug 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
How about this?
And what graphics card you reccommend?

You'll need to match the Socket type up from the CPU to the motherboard. So an LGA 1366 CPU like you linked me to will only fit into a motherboard with a LGA 1366 socket.

I can help you more tonight.

As for a GPU I would go with a nice high end AMD card.

6870 or something along those lines.

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
Review for the AMD HD 6620G "The performance should be on a level of a Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card."

This quote makes me believe the AMD HD 6620G Could run this game on low settings :P

OmGiTzAndre
Aug 4, 2011, 01:37 PM
If the motherboard isnt too expensive ill buy it..if not..ill just get what you picked out..hopefully i can run it with no problems and be able to stream it

Nuclearranger
Aug 4, 2011, 01:57 PM
If the motherboard isnt too expensive ill buy it..if not..ill just get what you picked out..hopefully i can run it with no problems and be able to stream it

Post again around 6:00PM CST and ill be reminded to look up some total costs for you. the motherboard shouldnt be anymore than an extra 100 dollars.

The graphics card might add another 100ish dollars

My best guess right now is probably 800-1000 dollars

OmGiTzAndre
Aug 4, 2011, 02:57 PM
Post again around 6:00PM CST and ill be reminded to look up some total costs for you. the motherboard shouldnt be anymore than an extra 100 dollars.

The graphics card might add another 100ish dollars

My best guess right now is probably 800-1000 dollars

On Second thought..if its possible to play this Perfectly,No lagging and frame drops ill keep exactly what you put...only question is if i can stream this simultaneously while playing..

Nuclearranger
Aug 4, 2011, 07:29 PM
On Second thought..if its possible to play this Perfectly,No lagging and frame drops ill keep exactly what you put...only question is if i can stream this simultaneously while playing..

It should play just fine you COULD have an issue if you want completely maxed out settings at 1080P while running 3 monitors.

Med- to med-high + streaming some video shouldn't be a problem. And hell PSO-2 might take little to no power to run and it'l run fine on max. It all depends on how well the game was programmed.

Ark22
Aug 5, 2011, 01:17 PM
Personally, I think the Alpha specs are just there to see how well game can run, they may lower it since Sega wants it to be PC friendly. Plus the Graphics looks lower than Star Ocean 4

Nuclearranger
Aug 5, 2011, 01:38 PM
Personally, I think the Alpha specs are just there to see how well game can run, they may lower it since Sega wants it to be PC friendly. Plus the Graphics looks lower than Star Ocean 4

Take recommended hardware with a grain of salt. A lot of min-specs for games wont even run with hardware twice as good.

Do you think they would set the specs in a safe range? They are going to set it really low so more people will buy the game thinking it can run.

Go play Crysis on it's minimum specs one and tell me how you enjoyed it.

Ark22
Aug 5, 2011, 01:42 PM
Take recommended hardware with a grain of salt. A lot of min-specs for games wont even run with hardware twice as good.

Do you think they would set the specs in a safe range? They are going to set it really low so more people will buy the game thinking it can run.

Go play Crysis on it's minimum specs one and tell me how you enjoyed it.

I played it on low settings, but Crysis in general is a horrible game xD. It was only meant to look pretty not play pretty :P

Nuclearranger
Aug 5, 2011, 02:06 PM
I played it on low settings, but Crysis in general is a horrible game xD. It was only meant to look pretty not play pretty :P

It isn't about playing it on low settings, try to run it on a computer with the recommended minumum specs. IT WONT RUN just like PSO-2 probably wont run on the recommended minimum specs.

Ark22
Aug 5, 2011, 04:13 PM
Well remember nothing is set in stone =D. So all we have to do is wait.

blazingsonic
Aug 10, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hey I got a question, There's a unused PC in my house my mom ditched since she's got two new PCs one for herself and one that was suppose to be for family use but her dumbass husband hogs it, This PC is old but not ancient, it's operating system is vista, I was wondering if I could cut costs just simply removing the motherboard and installing a new motherboard with a better CPU and GPU, I'm still debating on getting a new PSU that modulated, this PC I'm talking about is an HP brand, what that effect what I have planned?

Nuclearranger
Aug 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Hey I got a question, There's a unused PC in my house my mom ditched since she's got two new PCs one for herself and one that was suppose to be for family use but her dumbass husband hogs it, This PC is old but not ancient, it's operating system is vista, I was wondering if I could cut costs just simply removing the motherboard and installing a new motherboard with a better CPU and GPU, I'm still debating on getting a new PSU that modulated, this PC I'm talking about is an HP brand, what that effect what I have planned?

You could possibly reuse the case, CD/DVD reader and other generic parts. You might also be able to reuse the harddrive.

You will more than likely need to install a new copy of windows as windows will detect this as a new PC and require a new key.(Citation needed?)

What may be a better option is just keeping the motherboard and replacing the CPU and GPU and adding more ram. That should be enough. It is a desktop correct? Go download a tool named "CPU-Z" and let it run its job.
Save it's output as HTML and email that file to me. I can let you know some more details from there.

PS. my email is my PSO-World username + "@hotmail.com"

blazingsonic
Aug 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
Okay I did some digging, The rig I'll be upgrading is the HP Pavillion a6000n, To make it run PSO2 and other games like Portal 2 and Second Life run as like a pack of wild beasts, What kind of motherboard,CPU,GPU and PSU would I need? And should I get an Outer Market fan as well? I'm not looking to make it into a big expensive rig, just want it to run games at there best, if that's possible.

Nuclearranger
Aug 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Okay I did some digging, The rig I'll be upgrading is the HP Pavillion a6000n, To make it run PSO2 and other games like Portal 2 and Second Life run as like a pack of wild beasts, What kind of motherboard,CPU,GPU and PSU would I need? And should I get an Outer Market fan as well? I'm not looking to make it into a big expensive rig, just want it to run games at there best, if that's possible.

Might as well just take the build I posted on the first post of this thread and get those parts.

However you should be able to *as I said* reuse the mobo and just get a new CPU and GPU. This would be your cheapest option. You may need some more ram as well.

blazingsonic
Aug 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
What about a PSU, wouldn't a CPU and a GPU that's more powerful require more voltage?
Don't wanna have the wrong power and make my com go all eplody.

Nuclearranger
Aug 11, 2011, 10:07 PM
What about a PSU, wouldn't a CPU and a GPU that's more powerful require more voltage?
Don't wanna have the wrong power and make my com go all eplody.

Possibly. More than likely you would replace that as well however depending on what is in there it may or may not be necessary.

blazingsonic
Aug 14, 2011, 06:20 PM
ACK I just learned that the PC i'm fixing uses a Micro-ATX motherboard, are those form factors good for gaming or am I'm currently limited?

Nuclearranger
Aug 14, 2011, 09:12 PM
ACK I just learned that the PC i'm fixing uses a Micro-ATX motherboard, are those form factors good for gaming or am I'm currently limited?

Shouldn't be an issue. Micro ATX's are probably the most common type of motherboard used.(for me at least.)

blazingsonic
Aug 14, 2011, 10:05 PM
Yep I did some digging and I found one that can run the newer version of i5 which is a sandybridge, ^-^ It's all coming together!

Kion
Aug 15, 2011, 11:48 AM
Need help picking a low profile-gpu. Which is better a Radeon 5570, Radeon 6570, Geforce GT 430 or Gefore GT 520?

Nuclearranger
Aug 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
Need help picking a low profile-gpu. Which is better a Radeon 5570, Radeon 6570, Geforce GT 430 or Gefore GT 520?

I would vote for the 6570 over the 5570. As far as the Nvidia cards go they are 9 times out of 10 more pricy for the same level of performance.

blazingsonic
Aug 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm getting this CPU http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And I need help deciding on one of these motherboards, This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VEK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER and this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00518M78Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And I would like to know what kind of GPU that will fit a Micro ATX motherboard and I guess the power supply would be mentioned on the box.

Kion
Aug 15, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm probably not the one to give advice. But I prefer the Asus mother board. The connector is a pci-express x16 2.0. And then graphics cards can either be normal size or low profile; whether they fit or not depends on the case you buy.

My current plan for a build is looking something like this:

Case: In Win Mini-itx w/300w power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108196)(in Japan)
Mobo: Asus UEFI bios, HDMI, USB 3.0, mini-itx (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131727)
CPU: Intel Pentium 620T 35w (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116401)
GPU: HIS Radeon 6570 fanless low profile card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161374)

And then for memory a 4GB stick, and 250GB 7200rpm hard drive. Ideally I want to be able to play on medium settings and manage starcraft 2 as well. Any comments or problems that may occur with this build?

Nuclearranger
Aug 16, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm getting this CPU http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And I need help deciding on one of these motherboards, This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VEK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER and this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00518M78Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And I would like to know what kind of GPU that will fit a Micro ATX motherboard and I guess the power supply would be mentioned on the box.

Really I agree with the above poster but the intel board is $50 less it wont affect much either way.

I could imagine on newegg.com you could find one that is better than both for the money. Amazon isn't really known for its great PC part prices. Let me know what you choose!

I didn't find information on either of these about the PCI-E slot but you need a PCI-E 2.0 X16 slot for a nice graphics card.

Kion
Aug 16, 2011, 11:33 AM
From the product pages;

Asus P8P67-M (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67M/#specifications)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCIe x1

Gigabyte H67MA (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3655#sp)
1 x PCI Express2.0 x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 2.0 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
2 x PCI Express x1 slots

Nuclearranger
Aug 16, 2011, 11:57 AM
From the product pages;

Asus P8P67-M (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67M/#specifications)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCIe x1

Gigabyte H67MA (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3655#sp)
1 x PCI Express2.0 x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 2.0 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
2 x PCI Express x1 slots

So either choice really... Its a toss up.

blazingsonic
Aug 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
Okay I just rocked my head with some logic and that logical fact is I NEVER put together a PC before, and I will need step by step help, and I figured I'm gonna need a kit, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=401989&CatId=4910 is this kit any good for gaming?